Make Waves

Hello!

Thank you for your suggestions on the essential spices to stock your kitchen with! I have added several to my list and I hope to buy a few quality spices to add some pizzazz! I also have been meaning to buy red pepper flakes for AGES now.

I am happy to report that I did not skip another workout today!

Eric and I had planned an open-water swim at Kelso Lake today (the same lake we did the try-a-tri in). The weather was a hot and sunny 30C and the beach was a bumpin’!

IMG 1629 thumb   Make Waves

However, we were all BIZNASS today.

IMG 1630 thumb   Make Waves

I marked it with the yellow arrows what Eric and I swam today (you can’t see the other end, but it extends another 50 metres or so). I met a couple triathletes yesterday and they told me if you swim along the outer buoys, there and back = 350 metres. Good to know for practicing!

IMG 1631 thumb   Make Waves

The water was WARM! Even with no wetsuit on. Saweeeeet.

After the 300-350 metre swim, we probably did about 3 rounds of 50 metres before calling it a day, putting our total at around 600-650 metres. I think it only took about 20 minutes or so! One thing I like about swimming is that the swims are often just 30 minutes or less. Because they are so intense, you don’t need to make them drag on and on. Short and snappy.

I felt much stronger today as opposed to the try-a-tri. There were no panic attacks and crazy, erratic breathing! I didn’t even freak out in HEAVY seaweed! At one point, I was ‘in the zone’ and I had seaweed wrapped all over my arm and goggles and I just made myself forget about it and keep going. Working on the mental game of open-water swimming is as important as the physical aspect.

I feel like with each swim it gets a bit easier and my confidence builds. I find training for a triathlon is very humbling because I am forced out of my comfort zone several times a week.

IMG 1636 thumb   Make Waves

Summmmmer.

IMG 1637 thumb   Make Waves

Sprint Triathlon + Try-A-Tri Training Plan

As I mentioned in last Monday’s post, I put together a very loose summer training plan that will help prepare me for the July 18th Try-a-tri #2 and the Sprint Triathlon on Sept 5th. I also plan to run in a couple races this summer/fall and my next running race is this Wednesday night with a 5-miler. My plan can be found here (the plan is also embedded on my Races page). Of course, I will be blogging about my training as it happens. I based the triathlon plan loosely around this plan found on the Women’s Sprint Triathlon website and I adapted it to fit my needs.

I am typically not a training plan type of girl and I tend to be very spontaneous with my workouts on a day to day basis. I actually had no desire to put together a training plan because they always bore me to tears. However, because I am now training for triathlons, I know that I need a bit more structure with my workout schedule to make sure that I can make it fit into my busy schedule. A loose game plan just makes things run more smoothly and mindless. I have no problem making changes to the plan if need be, obviously illustrated from two workouts I already skipped this week. Above all, I always make sure that I am happy and I feel good, or else why bother?

Training for races has been very positive for me in my road to health. In the past if I skipped my morning treadmill workout (I used to do 45 mins., 7 days a week!), I would feel guilty, but training for races has allowed me to see the bigger picture. I now view rest days as beneficial and positive, rather than negative.

DINNER featured:

IMG 0134 thumb   Make Waves

DEELISH!

I threw together a quick Spinach and Eggplant casserole made up of 2 cups cooked couscous, 1 cup pasta sauce, 3-4 cups spinach, EVOO + sea salt, layered with 3/4 of a bottle of this Eggplant Garlic spread. I baked it for about 40 minutes at 425F.

IMG 0122 thumb   Make Waves

I served it with Mary’s and TJ’s crackers!

IMG 0123 thumb   Make Waves

They were the perfect crackers for ‘scooping’ the casserole.

IMG 0124 thumb   Make Waves

IMG 0127 thumb   Make Waves

The casserole served two.

I also made Salt and vinegar purple kale chips…

IMG 0094 thumb   Make Waves

Kosher sea salt:

IMG 0100 thumb   Make Waves

I poured about 4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp EVOO vinegar on top and massaged the kale. Then I sprinkled lots of sea salt on and baked them at 400F for about 30-35 mins, flipping once half way through.

IMG 0106 thumb   Make Waves

I’m not sure what I did wrong, but they didn’t taste very good!

IMG 0114 thumb   Make Waves

Dessert = a coconut covered Glo Dough that I made last week and froze. To my surprise it was awesome right out of the freezer.

IMG 9164 thumb1   Make Waves

I’m off to help Eric with yard work. Our gardens are OUT OF CONTROL with weeds. It is really hard to keep up!

Have a great night!

Shannon, Tropical Eats June 20, 2010

You two sure know how to take care of bidnisssss! :) glad the water was warm.. that lake sure was packed holy cow! you’re really inspirin me to try a tri soon

Lauren @ Eater not a runner June 20, 2010

Good work on the swim! Must have been nice in the warm water :-D

Katie (Sweet Tater) June 20, 2010

gaaaaah, please tell me glo dough will be sold online. i can’t take it anymore…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 20, 2010

I’d love having some Glo Dough!! Please tell me more!

Danielle June 20, 2010

Hi Angela,

First time poster! I love your blog. I just made the Better Than Balsamic dressing tonight! Can’t wait to use it.

How did you make your kale chips? I’ve tried before but it was hard to get them super dry after washing the kale (which I read was very important). Can you let me know how you did yours?

Thanks! :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 20, 2010

I have made balls :) similar to the Glo dough and my favorite is straight from the freezer.

Kelly June 20, 2010

That looks like such a great place to practice open water swims. When I did my tri, it was my first time open water swimming (in the ocean!). Luckily I survived it, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend that to people- like you said it’s a bit of a mental game. I still don’t know a great place to practice open water swims. My triathlon was in the ocean but with boats and stuff thats not a great place to practice, and it’s REALLY cold this time of year.
That eggplant garlic spread sounds amazing- I have to look for that at TJs!

Cara June 20, 2010

In theory and in appearance those kale chips look really yummy…too
bad they didn’t turn out as you hoped :( Maybe the vinegar messed with
them a bit?

Chase (TheChaseProject) June 20, 2010

I love red pepper flakes! I put them on everything!

Camille June 20, 2010

Dinner looks so good and so easy! I will definitely be trying it :)

Wei-Wei June 20, 2010

Wow, nice swim! I’m glad to hear that it’s been getting easier for you. Go Ange! I know you can do it :)

Wei-WEi

mary June 20, 2010

I think that is the scariest part for me about open water swimming is the seaweed and the fear of the unknown. gah!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 20, 2010

How good is that eggplant garlic spread?! My friend and I used to polish off jars in high school. Actually, I’m sure I could still polish off a jar. :)

Funny story. I was at a potluck today with lots of healthy loving gals and I overheard one say to another, “Have you made those parsnip fries yet?” I jumped in, “Oh she glow?!? I’ve made them!”. Then we all expressed our love for you and your recipes and told everyone else that they must go home and make those fries. I think we got them intrigued. :)

Kelli June 20, 2010

You should get some smoked paprika! One of my favorite ways to have salad is to sprinkle the top with smoked paprika, dulse flakes, garlic and himalayan salt (then the dressing)… the smoked paprika has the best flavor!

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 20, 2010

That is awesome that you guys have a good place to practice your open water swims even with tons of folks around.

As for the workout planning, I’m kind of a bit of a dork when it comes to training plans and that is something I’ve been since I started first running then triathloning. I know for me, it helps me to keep on track with what I need to do each day. I even put in there “rest days”, so that I remind myself that I do have to rest. Good luck with your training and your plans. I look forward to reading about them.

Robin @RawkinRobin June 20, 2010

Reading your recipe for Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips I was drooling and about to drive to the store to get some Kale hahaha! I’m totally with ya on having a ‘loose’ training schedule. I find that when I have strict day after day plans I quickly begin to dread my workouts, but when I play it by ear, my body naturally craves workouts. It’s fun to see what i’m feeling each day – run, yoga, strength train, rest…just go with it!

Kris June 20, 2010

Here’s a recipe I just saw that uses chocolate and red pepper flakes:

In a microwave safe bowl stir together 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper and a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips. Melt according to package directions. Dip pretzel rods in the melted chocolate and cool on waxed paper. The chocolate will set up in about an hour. Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, July 2010.

Sweet and spicey! You’ll have to let us know if you try it.

Courtney June 20, 2010

Your dinner looks sa-weeeeet!
And please pass on some of that glo dough this way…it looks soooo good :-P

Candice June 20, 2010

Great job on the open water swim. It’s so great that your confidence is growing all the time – you’re going to rock the next tri for sure!

Red pepper flakes are one of my favorites – I put them on everything.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 20, 2010

That’s so great that this swim went better. It was probably just a huge case of nerves last time.

bitt June 20, 2010

I have never had luck with vinegary kale chips. I only seem to like them when they have a thick sauce on them. I heard just olive oil and salt is good though.

Carly @ Happy Healthy Foodie June 20, 2010

Mmm I want some S&V kale chips. I love S&V flavour! Those glow balls look delicious too! :)

Bree June 20, 2010

aaaahhhhhhh I was absolutely CRINGING at the part about seaweed wrapped around your arms…when I was like 5 years old my older cousin told me that seaweed would grab your legs and pull you under…and that RUINED swimming in lakes for me…FOREVER. LOL :-P

Amber K June 20, 2010

Great job on the swin!

I’m not a fan of coconut, but the Glo Dough still cools pretty.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 20, 2010

Saw your guestie on Gena’s blog and it reminded me to say hi over here! I did one once on yoga for her a month or two ago…fun to do, aren’t they!

Love the Glo Balls outta the freezer! I freeze all my raw vegan dough balls too and prefer them that way. So good!

Ashley June 20, 2010

Oooo I love Kelso Lake! So glad you had a beautiful day for training.

I am thinking of taking part in my first 10k. I am thinking of doing the Island Girl race on September 11th. Have you heard any feedback about this race?

Chantelle June 20, 2010

Hey Angela!
Love your blog and especially your recipes. You have given me so many great ideas to eat when I transitioned to a wheat-free/dairy-free diet due to health issues. Made that daunting task a lot more enjoyable with your great suggestions. The other day I went to look for inspiration and couldn’t find your recipe link. Where did it go?? I miss it!!

Laura (Starloz) June 20, 2010

I wish they had Trader Joe’s here in Australia. I’m insanely jealous!

Claire June 20, 2010

Sounds like a great swim lady! Congrats! Oh, and the dinner looks amazing too! Maybe the kale was somewhat soggy before placing them on the baking sheet? I try to pat them as much as possible first.

Blaine June 20, 2010

Try this kale chip recipe:

1 bunch kale
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp nutritional yeast

Massage all ingredients together for cheesy goodness!!

Heather June 21, 2010

mmmmmmmmm frozen glo dough…yes please!

Helen June 21, 2010

Congrats on your swim, I would so freak out, majorly (!), if seaweed even touched me! I’m glad it went so well for you.
Shame your kale chips didn’t come out so well, wonder what happened!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 21, 2010

That is such a beautiful looking dinner, wow! And well done on the swim, I admire you – open water swimming scares me :s

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear June 21, 2010

Oh, you have real summer over there! I wish we had too, but it’s been rainy…

Casey June 21, 2010

Those glo dough’s look yum!! Thanks for sharing! x

MizFit June 21, 2010

oooh outta the loop and love your new header…

JL June 21, 2010

Great job on the open water swim! The more you’re in it, the more natural it will feel. Kale chips are hit or miss for me. The best, in the oven, is simple olive oil and a dusting of onion powder and making sure that the chips are in one layers. In the dehydrator, tahini, braggs and sesame oil. YUM.

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 21, 2010

LOVELY beach pictures!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 21, 2010

Eggplant garlic sounds delicious! Eggplant anything would work for me, though! Looks like you guys had a crowded swim!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 21, 2010

Congrats on an awesome swim!

That casserole looks awesome, I need to find some of that spread next time i’m in the states!

xo