Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Day 1

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 19, 2010

Today it was time to show the world what I was made of…

IMG_9983 IMG_9982

wearing a cheeky, yet meaningful, ‘Queen of Tarts’ apron that OSGMOM gave me at my wedding shower in July 2008

IMG_7861

Did my mom know something that I didn’t long before I had the courage to leave my research job?

Clearly, she had other plans for me in mind!

It took an army to set up shop today! Luckily Eric and I rolled in about 80 minutes early. It took us almost 1 hour to set up today.

IMG_9919

I decided to go with three Glo Bar samples today- Empower, Chi, and Liberate. I am going to alternate the sample flavours each week, as per a reader suggestion!

IMG_9921

I had my fabulous TEAM GLO with me! Karly and Stacey…they are AWESOME ladies!

IMG_9962

Eric was amazing too….and he is very good at sales. An untapped talent perhaps?

IMG_9969

Yes, he even wore the name tag I made him. Bonus points noted.

IMG_9926

IMG_9929

IMG_9933

The Oakville organic market is a small one- only in its’ 3rd year and has just 20 vendors. Since it was the opening day we were expecting it to be slow, but it was actually steady right up until 12:30. Then it died off until closing at 2pm. I spoke with a few vendors and we all wished that the market closed at 1pm as there was no one around after lunch. Personally I would rather the market start earlier and end earlier because by the time we got home it was 4pm. It made for a really long day!

Let’s just say I BAILED on my scheduled workout today big time! Sometimes rest is needed more than a workout, right?

IMG_9944

Eric was the photographer too. :biggrin:

IMG_9946

IMG_9947

We met some very nice people. About 7-8 OSG readers come to visit to say hi and buy some bars! It was very exciting to meet everyone and have their support (hi ladies!!).

On the sign below, 3 bowls = 100% organic! Every vendor also has to adhere to the market’s zero waste policy. I bought all biodegradable and compostable pouches and bags.

IMG_9949

The Glo Dough was a huge hit. We sold all but 3. I initially didn’t have samples, but once we started cutting some up they sold like hot cakes. Samples are key!

IMG_9951

We had samples of Chi, Empower, and the new GF + Raw Liberate Glo Bar. The best-selling Glo Bar was LIBERATE (GF + Raw Banana Bread) and the second best-seller was Adore (s’more) followed by Empower (choc coffee). We sold almost 200 Glo Bars today! I was quite happy with that for the first day of the market.

IMG_9957

I bought some of the most amazing spices that have ever crossed my nose…

IMG_9987

IMG_9995

Coming up tomorrow morning, I will show you what I made! Mmmmm.

I’m off to watch TRUE BLOOD with Eric. We watched Episode 1 (Season 1) last night (we need a new show for the summer!)…Let’s just say I was a bit horrified after the first 15 minutes and then strangely left wanting more after the episode ended. It seems to be one of those shows that you can’t look away from. I think they could be onto something here….

This will be consumed…

IMG_0061

IMG_0062

IMG_0056

Mmmmmmmmm.

Brie @ Brie Fit June 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Congratulations! It’s been really cool to watch the whole farmer’s market venture go from start to finish on the blog. I’m glad it went so well. I love farmer’s markets!

Emily June 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Congrats on such a great first day at the farmer’s market!! Wishing I lived closer so I could have tried the Liberate and Glo Dough! Good luck with the next few days :)

*Andrea* June 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm

the liberate glow bar flavor sounds great! definitely a success for you adn your company!!! love all the pictures. you are so gorgeous. eric looks handsome too! :)

interesting that samples make such a huge difference in sales – good to know!

christina cadden June 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Congrats! That sounds like a great day!

Jess (Nurse Jess the Blog) June 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Congrats on your first FM!! Samples are key – I love them and then I always feel guilty and buy something! The same thing happened to me with True Blood. I watched the first episode with my mother, and I’m sure you can imagine how that went over!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Oh, man! I might have to get HBO for the next few months. Otherwise I’ll have to wait a year to get it on DVD.

Kim June 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Glad to hear the market was a success!

True Blood is amazing. There’s just something about it that I can’t explain but I love it!

ERIKA June 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Congratulations on your sales at the Farmer’s Market!! I think considering the foot traffic died off I think you did a pretty good sale. I think it is great that you took a passion and a chance and are now making it into a legitimate career. You are an inspiration to all young women out that – if you can dream it you can do it!

Stefanie June 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Congratulations on a great first day at tge Farmers Market. :)

Kath June 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Congrats Ange! Looks like it was a big hit.

Kristina June 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

you GO, Queen of Tarts! :)

I can’t wait to have a Liberate, and hopefully some Glo Dough someday, too!

Happy for you that it went well!

Laura D June 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm

congrats on a successful first day! and thanks for the wonderful reply to the email today…starting the day off right with some yoga tomorrow morning then to the library to focus!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Congrats on a successful first day!! I wish I could have been there to sample some Glo-Dough!

Fit Chick in the City June 19, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Fantastic job! You’re tent looked adorable. Who wouldn’t want to stop by and sample a glo bar.

Gillian June 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I’m so happy for you Angela! You truly are glowing and doing what you’re meant to do! Hope I can get out to Ontario and hit up the market this summer. And I’m a big time sampler then buyer. I also have that curry powder- sooo good!

Camille June 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Wow, congrats! Sounds like it went great!
My Boyfriend and I tried to get in to True blood but we just couldn’t :/
Hope you have more luck!

claire June 19, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Wow, what an amazing day at the market lady! Sounds like a success to me! I am sure it will only get better as the summer progresses!

Oh and True Blood is a definite favorite of mine, although very intense and sometimes a little crazy/weird. My boyf worked on the last season of it so I always watch.

Jocelyn June 19, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Congratz Angela! Yum yum yum..globars are the best :) I can’t wait to sometime get out to that market and visit you (plus restock on globars) and hit whole foods :P:P

Jo June 19, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Cuteeeee apron!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 19, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Yeah! Was an awesome day and the rain held off for you! Congrats. :-)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 19, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Congrats on such an AWESOME first day!! I know I would have been there buying tons of goodies if I was close!! :)

So happy for you though!! :)

Kris June 19, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Congrats on your first farmer’s market! I’m so glad it was a success! Really inspiring to follow your venture and fitness quests. Thanks so much!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Congrats on your first day!!!! You look so happy!!!

NC June 19, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Congratulations !! , that’s such a cute apron . I use all the masalas … The garam masala ,worls really good for grilling/ roasting veggies , try using the curry masala ehn you cook lentils , they are tasty….

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Congrats on a successful first day! It’s fun to get a sneak peek behind the scenes of a farmer’s market vendor. I have even more respect for you all now :)

Kristi June 19, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Congratulations! You are an amazing business woman. I love your bars but may need to re-stock as it has been a long time. My husband ate them so fast I couldn’t keep them around :) I live for farmer’s markets so it is great to “see” you in that atmosphere. Great job!

Paige @Running Around Normal June 19, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Congrats, Angela!! I’m so happy your first day was such a success! You deserve it all :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm

yay – congrats on a great first day at the market :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm

At farmer’s markets I always must sample a product before I buy it. It looks like the farmer’s market went very, very well! Congratulations :)

Chelsey June 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Congrats on the successful first day! I just know you’ll need more and more products every week that goes by!

callah June 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Hi! I stopped by too but I get shy when meeting new people and feel like a nerd introducing myself. I can’t wait to test out the mini pre-workout bar tomorrow :) Next time I’ll actually say hello hehe!!
It was my first time at the market as well, loved the soaps and lavender products! I wanted to buy everything there!!

cait June 19, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I LOVE Arvinda’s!! My husband and I took one of her and her daughter’s cooking classes at whole foods and it was so amazing! Their spices are UNREAL. Chickpea masala…yes please!!
Glad your first Farmer’s Market day was a success!

Brynne June 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Congratulations on such a successful first Farmer’s Market! Can’t wait to read where this will take you!

fae June 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Glad the first day was such a success! Can’t wait to see what you make with all those Indian spices.

bitt June 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Oh I wish I could have come by and had some samples. We had a raw vegan bar vendor at my farmer’s market and I don’t think he did as well as you.

I would not want the markets to end early because I am a late sleeper and I am often rolling in at the last half hour! But I get why you would be tired. Hope it was worth your while.

BTW, love your blog!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I knew you would sell a lot, it will only get better. You table looks so professional and cute.

Rachel June 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Your booth and setup look great! Glad your first day at the market was successful!

True Blood = AMAZING. Must watch!

Julie @SavvyEats June 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm

CONGRATS! Those are amazing sales numbers for your very first day…you know they’ll all come back wanting more! ;)

Kris June 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Congrats sissy!!! Looks like you had a wonderful and successful day!!! Wish I was there to help you :) xo

[email protected] June 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Can I just say you look stunning and ‘glowing’ in all those market photos?! Congrats on a great day.
Good call on samples…I’m always a sucker when I taste something I like, I want to buy it immediately.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Aww thank you!

Robin June 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Looks like such a great fun day! Can’t wait to see the indian recipes!

Ashley June 19, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Where’d you get those sweet chalk signs made??? ;) I love that photo of you + Eric…too cute! Love that you started watching True Blood!! Definitely took me a few episodes to get into it. All of the market photos rock. Congrats on a very successful day!!

Alyssa June 19, 2010 at 11:21 pm

CONGRATS on the sales!! That is AMAZING! Way to follow your heart and dreams.

As far as the True Blood, you’re totally right. I watched the first 5 episodes of Season 1 and had the “I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this show, but for some reason, I need to watch more” reaction. Now, I am totally hooked and tell everyone how good it is! You will love it, I’m sure. Once the initial shock and awe passes, its a good watch!

Wei-Wei June 19, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Congratulations on selling 200 GLO BARS! That is definitely very very impressive! And I’m glad that the Glo Dough was a hit, too (I actually would have bought more Glo Dough than bars!) I hope you had a lot of fun, and good luck with the market next week! :)

Wei-Wei

Ann June 19, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Hi

I recently discovered your blog a week ago and I’m hooked. Congrats on the success today! I actually live in Milton and hope to visit the organic farmers market and try your products before the end of the summer.

I’m such a fan of true blood as well definitely recommend.

Looking forward to more entries!

Amber K June 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Congratulations on such a great first day! I knew they’d be a hit. =)

Bridget June 19, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Awesome :) You and your team did a great job!

Haha that pic of you in the crazy hat :D I literally laughed out loud and woke up my cat! She thinks i’m a nut :P

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 19, 2010 at 11:52 pm

You guys are so adorable! I wish we had an all organic market here. It’d blow up and be crazy. Everyone is super into organic in this area.

Lauren @ She's a Runner June 20, 2010 at 12:39 am

Congrats on your first day at the market! I’m so excited to come see you one of these days. Everything looks delicious and amazing. I love your name tags and all the signs.
I think it’s okay to miss a scheduled workout after such an exhausting day. Maybe it would be easier to plan workouts around the market days, if they continue to be so tiring? Just a thought. Although you might find your energy levels change over time. Trial and error, I guess. I’m very happy for you, so glad to hear all went well today!

Sarah for Real June 20, 2010 at 12:57 am

Congratulations! Sounds like fun AND success! Do you think there is anything you’ll tweak a little for next week? I’m sure it will get easier each time, no?

I love True Blood. I had the same reaction when I first started watching… horrified but intrigued. If you like reading, I definitely suggest the novels. They are much much less horrifying and just as entertaining.

tasha - the clean eating mama June 20, 2010 at 2:04 am

What a successful day! Looks like you had a wonderful time – it’s always great to meet your fans and customers face-to-face.

Cara June 20, 2010 at 2:42 am

Congrats!
If I was in Ontario I would have made the trek to buy up some of your goodies. Wishing you much success!
p.s. I also tried watching True Blood…but it creeped me out too much

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear June 20, 2010 at 2:51 am

Congrats on the successfull day! :)

Victoria June 20, 2010 at 3:48 am

Well done – that’s a great achievement on the first day! x

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 20, 2010 at 4:35 am

Congrats on the farmer’s market, it sounds like you did amazing!

Jill June 20, 2010 at 6:41 am

Congrats on all the success at the farmers market! I went to mine yesterday and picked up some garlic scapes to make your garlic scape pesto!
I will try to make it down to Oakville to your market one day this summer. It’s a couple of hours away, but that’s ok :)
I LOVE True Blood. Give it a chance – it just gets better and better. It’s sexy and crazy for sure, but then, it’s HBO! My hubby and I are totally hooked, like little V junkies :) LOL

Ashley June 20, 2010 at 7:10 am

CONGRATS on such a successful first day at the farmers market! Amazing job, and everything went so perfectly

Bree June 20, 2010 at 7:12 am

So glad the market went well! Here’s to a great summer of sales!

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 20, 2010 at 7:23 am

Congrats, it looks like it was a great first day!

Heather June 20, 2010 at 7:33 am

hurray! sounds like a super successful day…i’m so proud :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 20, 2010 at 7:40 am

Congrats! I’m so glad your first day was a success!

That apron is too cute!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

Whoo 200 bars! Awesome, congrats! Looks like a great day. Too bad I couldn’t make it up this weekend, I’ll come sometime soon! :D

xo
Kris

Kacie June 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

Congrats Angela!!! How exciting!!!

Jennifer June 20, 2010 at 8:44 am

Angela,
Am loving my Glo Bars – they are so delicious and moist! I think I’m going to have to hide them so I don’t eat them all in two days! Glad your first day at the Market went so well :)
We also bought Arvinda’s curries as well – can’t wait to cook with them – yum!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 20, 2010 at 8:49 am

Over 200 bars?! Dang girl show em how it’s done!! :)

jassy June 20, 2010 at 9:11 am

hi…until when is the farmer’s market? i’m recommending it to a friend who’s there…:)

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

Looks like the Glo-bars and dough are a success at the farmers market and I’m sure will continue to be! Woohoo, is all I can say to that!

True Blood you say, is my favorite show on HBO, next to Spartacus, Big Love and hmmmm, trying to find another. Me and 2 of my girlfriends look forward to the saga that continues with True Blood and it is an addicting show!

Violet June 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Wonderful post, Angela! I loved seeing the farmer’s market; well done. Congratulations and I wish you much success with this venture! I loved the curried lentils and will make them; they look so good.

Little Bookworm June 20, 2010 at 11:26 am

Glad the farmer’s market went well! :)

Krystina June 20, 2010 at 11:37 am

Congrats! I knew you would do awesomely. I really need to get my hands on some glo bars myself.

Whitney June 20, 2010 at 11:47 am

Samples ARE key! I own a gourment chocolate and fudge shop and every single customer gets a sample. It really does help drive the product and people are so happy to get the attention and of course something for free. We sample whatever it is the customer is interested in (within reason). So glad it went well for you! We are also involved in a farmers market that just started. I think the key is spreading the word! congrats :)

Angela @ a healthy fit June 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Congrats on your farmer’s market success!!! So cool that you sold so many!

Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

CONGRATS on a successful first day! I wish I lived closer because I would have come and bought TONS of them. :-)

Lisa June 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Congrats! That’s so cool that you got to have a table at the market.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm

This is so exciting! Congrats to you, Ange!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I really liked reading the farmer’s market re-cap. I was wondering how it was going to go for you. Glad it was a hit. Hopefully you get good sales every weekend!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 20, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Congratulations on a successful first day!!!

You look so cute in the apron :-)

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 21, 2010 at 5:48 am

Awh! That looks like TONS of fun!!!!

Melissa June 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

Congratulations on the market success! So much work you did to prepare and it totally paid off!
Oh my gosh, I love indian spices! I’ve only tried garam masala and so the other two are new to me. yum!
Oh True Blood..so creepy but weirdly addicting. The first 15 minutes of the latest episode had my jaw drop many times! It’s amazing what HBO can get away with HA!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

That looks like an awesome farmers market. I cannot waitttt till the ones near me start up. For some reason, they don’t really get going till mid july? I doubt I’ll find anything as good as your glo-bars at mine, but I’ll still try (:

Susan June 22, 2010 at 9:12 am

Yayyy!! 200 bars sold!? That’s awesome!! SO happy to hear it went well. And I totally agree with the sampling part… a key selling tool I learned in my many years working in coffee shops ;) (and ahem, it gave me an excuse to snack on them myself)