Be Kind To Your Food

Ashley and I had a grand ‘ol time today!

After the volcano erupted inside, we headed outside for a scenic hike.

IMG 1558 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

It was US vs. Nature. Nature won. More on that in a minute.

It was gorgeous outside…finally!

IMG 1580 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food  IMG 1559 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Ashley wore her Vibrams!

IMG 1563 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I must admit, I am tempted to try these out- at least for walking anyways. Anyone use these bad boys?

Awesome views…!

IMG 1565 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food IMG 1564 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

IMG 1573 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I put on a brave face…

IMG 1572 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

but was shakin in my boots…

IMG 1571 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

We are both blessed with a sublime sense of direction, so naturally we somehow got off the beaten track!

IMG 1575 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Ashley was in front and consumed massive quantities of cobwebs. Never a good sign.

We channeled our inner Ralph…. ‘Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’  :lol:

It was nothing short of a miracle, but we made it out of the cobwebs and back onto the trail.

IMG 1574 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

All in all we hiked about 1/4 of a mile in 1 hour and 43 minutes.

hahaha…I’m joking, but that would be funny!!! We did 2 miles in about 40 minutes. :biggrin:

I re-fueled with a Liberate Glo Bar…and Ash with an Empower Glo Bar!

IMG 9536 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

For a late lunch we headed to a new vegetarian restaurant that recently opened up in Burlington called Kindfood.

photatoe thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Lots of curb appeal!!!

IMG 9545 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

From their website: “At Kindfood, we are committed to the belief that food is an essential source of our energy, health, longevity and happiness. Our food choices are an indication of our respect for ourselves and for all living things. We prepare and provide fresh plant-based foods made without any animal products, dairy, eggs, refined sugars, additives or preservatives.”

ange2 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I have been so excited to try this place out ever since I heard about it. The cafe has a juice bar, fresh baked goods, and a natural food store all in one. The menu is very small so we hoped that the limited selection equaled the best of the best & the cream of the crop! It was just oozing with potential.

I cheated on my beet juice with a new friend…

IMG 9548 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Kombucha!

When I cracked it open, I was instantly taken aback by the strong vinegar smell and I was shakin’ in my boots…but once I got past that, I really enjoyed it! It was slightly sweet, slightly tart, and not too fizzy. I’m not sure about all of the health claims it makes (the can said fountain of youth!?), but it was pretty tasty.

For the juice I got the Beets Me- Carrot, beet, apple, lemon and ginger.

IMG 9556 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

We both ordered the Happy Buddha Bowl –> Steamed brown rice, roasted sweet potato, chopped onion, tomato, almonds, sunflower seeds, cilantro, basil, olive oil, sprouts and tamari.

It sounded like a bowl from Fresh, so I wanted to try it out to compare!

IMG 9563 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

This bowl was a bit disappointing. It was very low on veggies and the rice was drenched in olive oil, resulting in a very bland dish. I’m hoping that our bowl was just a dud and the other items are delicious! I will have to give it another chance sometime.

IMG 9558 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

However the company was absolutely lovely and Ash and I chatted away for a couple hours. We have so much in common, it is a bit crazy.

Crazy Blogger Lady in action.

ange1 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

We left hungry (never a good sign!) and got home and made a snack of Dr. Kracker’s spread with Ash’s homemade nut butters and a side of carrots and hummus. Did the trick!

IMG 9577 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Note to self, make Ashley’s Cinnamon Maple Almond Better ASAP!

IMG 9575 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Hunger demolished.

And Sencha green tea for an afternoon pick-me-up!

IMG 9583 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Not long after that, Eric got home and it was time to eat again!

Eric fired up the BBQ and impressed Ash with his mad skillz.

IMG 9585 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I have never made KALE CHIPS before and Ashley insisted that we must make them tonight! I have been meaning to make them for ages now, so I was game.

Basic Krispy Kale Chips

[Courtesy of Ashley]

Ingredients:

• 1 head of kale
  • Sea salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350F. Take several kale leaves (I think we used 8), wash, and rip off the leaves and place on baking sheet. Toss the stems. Rip into small pieces about 3 inches in length. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over top and then sprinkle kosher sea salt and ground black pepper over top. Bake for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the oven and flip, and then bake for another 10-15 minutes until very crispy.

Massaging the kale!

IMG 9588 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I topped mine with salsa…

IMG 9603 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

Kale chips rocked my world!!!!!!

I cannot believe that I haven’t had these before. Addicted after 1 bite. Can you believe that ERIC loved Kale Chips? Blown away. I can’t wait to top them with cheeze sauce!

Eric BBQ’d veggie burgers and some red peppers…

IMG 9611 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

It was such a satisfying and easy dinner!

IMG 9608 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

We gabbed and gabbed and by the time we left the table it was after 10pm!

IMG 9610 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

We cuddled on the couch and did our blog thang while watching a movie with Eric.

IMG 9625 thumb   Be Kind To Your Food

I am sad Ashley has to leave tomorrow. I feel like the fun has just begun!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 15, 2010

The cafe has loads of curb appeal. I would have gone too. Too bad it was a disappointment : ( Your sencha pic reminded me I forgot my 1 cup for the day – oh well, too late now!

Kristina June 15, 2010

what a fun day, minus buddha bowl :(

I bet you are a super fun hostess! I would love to come spend the day with you! :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please June 15, 2010

Ohh… it looks like you girls are having an amazing time! I love the restaurant colors! Darling!

Laura June 16, 2010

I’ve never wanted to try kale, I just dont quite get it but to be honest. i might after this post

Maria June 16, 2010

Love love love my Vibrams! I use them for boxing and Crossfit, but I stick to my Nike Free sneaks for treadmill running (Vibrams + treadmill = numb feet!). What a fun and comfy shoe though!

Nikki June 16, 2010

My husband is a hardcore fan of the Vibram Five Fingers. He researched them for a good long while and visited the store to check them out and try them on several times before finally buying a pair. He takes these things very seriously. He’s a CrossFitter so full body fitness is very important to him. He’s loved his VFF and they have even helped with his plantar fasciitis which is great because he’s able to jog for small distances again. Soon his whole CrossFit gym had them after seeing his and I they will be the next pair of trainers that I buy for myself. I highly recommend them.
On a side note- your meeting with Ashley looks like so much fun! I’ve been following your blog for a little while now and it’s super informative! Thanks and keep it coming!

Corinne (breathe and savor) June 17, 2010

Reading your response reminds me of my bf! The VFF has helped tremendously with his plantar fasciitis and other injuries! He too did ample research before buying a pair and is now on his second pair!

Corinne June 17, 2010

meant to ask you if you have tried them yet!?

claire June 16, 2010

Uh oh, kale chips might just become a new addiction…actually uh oh is not the appropriate phrase since they are so good and healthy too. It sounds like a fun hike but bummer about the not so tasty meal…at leat you were with Ashley, so jealous!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 16, 2010

Fun day!!! You MUST try kale chips with a cheezy or tahini based sauce!!! Just massage the sauce in before you bake it and it comes out all crispy and crunchy and amazing.

Heather June 16, 2010

i knew you guys would have a blast…and i’m so glad you guys tried out so many new and awesome things today! i adore kale chips…the second they melted in my mouth i was HOOKED!

Rachel June 16, 2010

I recommend the Vibram Fivefingers as highly or more highly than the other commenters. They changed my life and made running & hiking a true soul joy for the first time! Durable, easy to clean, and affordable (compared to other high-end running shoes). I’ve always had flat feet and an injured knee, but after a few months of these- nice healthy arches and no sign of that aching knee! Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 16, 2010

What a freakin’ awesome day! Great hike, great food + great company :) You girls rock!

Bridget June 16, 2010

What a beautiful day you had! Hiking is always so invigorating

I have also recently tried kale chips after hearing all the fuss about them. They are AMAZING huh? I was skeptical at first, but they are truly delicious!

Miriam June 16, 2010

Hi Angie! Can you tell me which kind of veggie burger you buy? I am a Amy’s brand regular… actually only tried one other brand which happened to be discusting (I cooked one patty ate half, give the other half to my dog and threw the rest in the garbage…)… I am hesistant to buy non organic since those are highly processed usually… What is your though, any brand to suggest? (beside making them myself… I need to buy a food processor… just no room to store it!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

They are Amy’s Texas burgers! They are my fav kind by far aside from homemade.

Wei-Wei June 16, 2010

Hike looks really fun! It’s great seeing the wilderness, isn’t it? I’m sorry about your disappointing meal, though. :( Ashley’s nut butters look so smoooooooth… :S Mine are always so gritty!

KALE CHIPS. I need to try them. Strange, because I have yet to see KALE in China yet… O_O but I heard that you can do it with spinach, too!

Looks like you two are having lots of fun together! :D

Wei-Wei

Jess (Nurse Jess the Blog) June 16, 2010

I’ve been running in my Vibrams for about a month now and I LOVE them. It’s actually uncomfortable to wear my running shoes running! I write about them on my blog sometimes. Hit Vibrams on my tags thingy and check it out!

Victoria June 16, 2010

Sounds like a great day! All the food looks yummy. Shame about the hefty price at the restaurant :(

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 16, 2010

That place is so cute! Too bad the Buddha Bowl wasn’t a quality meal for the price! That is so disappointing!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 16, 2010

I have yet to try kale chips!! I need to find some kale first!!! Ack, the wait is unbearable! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 16, 2010

Looks like so much fun! Bummer about that lunch :-( I need to start making my own nut butters too…. such a $$ saver!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 16, 2010

Awwww it sounds like you’re having such a great time! I can’t believe you’ve never had kale chips before, they seem SO YOU! I absolutely looooove them.. a fun way to eat your greens!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

im pretty sure I will be making them once a week from now on! mmmmm

Helen June 16, 2010

What a great day you’ve had. I love Ashley’s shoes, they must be so cool when walking outside. I hope the restaurant wasn’t too disappointing, as you say, maybe go there again to sample another dish. Love the picture of you two together blogging, so cute.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini June 16, 2010

I have a friend who runs in Vibrams. She swears by them.

Megan June 16, 2010

Kombucha really IS a wondrous drink! Amazing, and SO unique!!! :)

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 16, 2010

What beautiful hiking pictures! and I love kale chips… made them last week for my whole family. They were so skeptical until they tried them!

MizFit June 16, 2010

(awesome pictures)
I love my VFFs
Ive used em for years just to live in and lift in and have decided that Ill run my vegas half marathon in them!

happy to help if you want any info—-THEYRE AWESOME.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Wow that is amazing! Thanks :) I def. think I will purchase a pair at some point.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 16, 2010

Aww, that’s too bad the bowl was bland!!

Nic June 16, 2010

She totally intrigued me about the Vibrams too!!
Oh and I haven’t had Kale Chips (too), but since I have plated some Kale (red and green) on my little balcony garden, they are definitely in my future!! Can’t wait!!
Oh and YES you totally HAVE TO MAKE Ashley’s Roasted Almond Butter!! I can’t keep my finger out of the jar I made past weekend!!! ;D

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

We had it on hot oats this morning and it was out of this world!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 16, 2010

So much fun!!! How do Kale chips turn out? Everybody seems t olove them but they seem like they’d just be extra crispy, drier spinach? I’m guessing they turn out much better than that, though! The views are sometimes the best part of hiking whether they be over a valley or the trees your walking past. :) Very nice!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

They are like crispy AIR…lol. Very mild taste and very good with ketchup. I want to try cheeze sauce too.

Marina June 16, 2010

Amazing hike!
I’m sorry that the lunch was disappointing, but the main thing is that you girls had fun :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 16, 2010

What a fun day!

UM you NEED to give me the addy to that restaurant! Or we could do a lunch date :P Looks so cute, and now you need to find out how the rest of their menu is!

xo
Kris

Erin at The Healthy Apron June 16, 2010

Looks like you guys had a blast! Sorry you left the restaurant hungry! I don’t think I could have gotten past the vinegary smell of your drink! My cleaners smell like vinegar so it’s not the best association lol

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 16, 2010

I love Fresh’s buddha bowl.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

mmmm me too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 16, 2010

Leaving hungry is a really bad sign–I probably wouldn’t go again. Oh well, you live, you learn. The rest of your feast sounds great though. You may have convinced me to try kale chips. I keep saying I will some time, but if your husband even liked them? The time has come.

Veggielady4life June 16, 2010

That’s so wonderful you guys met through blogging and got to hang out!

Sarah June 16, 2010

LOVE those chairs. Pink and green are adorable colors :) Makes me smile!

I hate leaving restaurants hungry-I always feel disapointed that I wasted my money :( And I’ve never made kale chips either…very very very scary…but I’ll try anything with salsa :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

I know that color combo is so gorgeous

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 16, 2010

I often drive through Burlington on my way to Niagara to visit my parents and got all excited about that cafe, until I read your review. Hopefully your lackluster meal was just a onetime goof on their part. It looks so cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Im decided that I will give it another chance…it is NEW after all…so I hope my next visit is better!

Kate June 16, 2010

Oh no… I really hope that the cafe was just having a bad day. At least the food looks good!

I hope you enjoy your last day together :)

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 16, 2010

Those shoes are crazy! I think they would drive me nuts.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 16, 2010

I’m SOOO checking out Kindfood next time I’m in Burlington! You’re such an awesome hostess!

PS. your hike photos look quite familiar… I think I’ve been to the same spot! :)

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 16, 2010

Kale chips are kind of unbelievable. No one ever believes it until they try them.

Page 1 of 212»