Be Kind To Your Food

Ashley and I had a grand ‘ol time today!

After the volcano erupted inside, we headed outside for a scenic hike.

IMG_1558

It was US vs. Nature. Nature won. More on that in a minute.

It was gorgeous outside…finally!

IMG_1580  IMG_1559

Ashley wore her Vibrams!

IMG_1563

I must admit, I am tempted to try these out- at least for walking anyways. Anyone use these bad boys?

Awesome views…!

IMG_1565 IMG_1564

IMG_1573

I put on a brave face…

IMG_1572

but was shakin in my boots…

IMG_1571

We are both blessed with a sublime sense of direction, so naturally we somehow got off the beaten track!

IMG_1575

Ashley was in front and consumed massive quantities of cobwebs. Never a good sign.

We channeled our inner Ralph…. ‘Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’  :lol:

It was nothing short of a miracle, but we made it out of the cobwebs and back onto the trail.

IMG_1574

All in all we hiked about 1/4 of a mile in 1 hour and 43 minutes.

hahaha…I’m joking, but that would be funny!!! We did 2 miles in about 40 minutes. :biggrin:

I re-fueled with a Liberate Glo Bar…and Ash with an Empower Glo Bar!

IMG_9536

For a late lunch we headed to a new vegetarian restaurant that recently opened up in Burlington called Kindfood.

photatoe

Lots of curb appeal!!!

IMG_9545

From their website: “At Kindfood, we are committed to the belief that food is an essential source of our energy, health, longevity and happiness. Our food choices are an indication of our respect for ourselves and for all living things. We prepare and provide fresh plant-based foods made without any animal products, dairy, eggs, refined sugars, additives or preservatives.”

ange2

I have been so excited to try this place out ever since I heard about it. The cafe has a juice bar, fresh baked goods, and a natural food store all in one. The menu is very small so we hoped that the limited selection equaled the best of the best & the cream of the crop! It was just oozing with potential.

I cheated on my beet juice with a new friend…

IMG_9548

Kombucha!

When I cracked it open, I was instantly taken aback by the strong vinegar smell and I was shakin’ in my boots…but once I got past that, I really enjoyed it! It was slightly sweet, slightly tart, and not too fizzy. I’m not sure about all of the health claims it makes (the can said fountain of youth!?), but it was pretty tasty.

For the juice I got the Beets Me– Carrot, beet, apple, lemon and ginger.

IMG_9556

We both ordered the Happy Buddha Bowl –> Steamed brown rice, roasted sweet potato, chopped onion, tomato, almonds, sunflower seeds, cilantro, basil, olive oil, sprouts and tamari.

It sounded like a bowl from Fresh, so I wanted to try it out to compare!

IMG_9563

This bowl was a bit disappointing. It was very low on veggies and the rice was drenched in olive oil, resulting in a very bland dish. I’m hoping that our bowl was just a dud and the other items are delicious! I will have to give it another chance sometime.

IMG_9558

However the company was absolutely lovely and Ash and I chatted away for a couple hours. We have so much in common, it is a bit crazy.

Crazy Blogger Lady in action.

ange1

We left hungry (never a good sign!) and got home and made a snack of Dr. Kracker’s spread with Ash’s homemade nut butters and a side of carrots and hummus. Did the trick!

IMG_9577

Note to self, make Ashley’s Cinnamon Maple Almond Better ASAP!

IMG_9575

Hunger demolished.

And Sencha green tea for an afternoon pick-me-up!

IMG_9583

Not long after that, Eric got home and it was time to eat again!

Eric fired up the BBQ and impressed Ash with his mad skillz.

IMG_9585

I have never made KALE CHIPS before and Ashley insisted that we must make them tonight! I have been meaning to make them for ages now, so I was game.

Basic Krispy Kale Chips

[Courtesy of Ashley]

Ingredients:

• 1 head of kale
  • Sea salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350F. Take several kale leaves (I think we used 8), wash, and rip off the leaves and place on baking sheet. Toss the stems. Rip into small pieces about 3 inches in length. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over top and then sprinkle kosher sea salt and ground black pepper over top. Bake for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the oven and flip, and then bake for another 10-15 minutes until very crispy.

Massaging the kale!

IMG_9588

I topped mine with salsa…

IMG_9603

Kale chips rocked my world!!!!!!

I cannot believe that I haven’t had these before. Addicted after 1 bite. Can you believe that ERIC loved Kale Chips? Blown away. I can’t wait to top them with cheeze sauce!

Eric BBQ’d veggie burgers and some red peppers…

IMG_9611

It was such a satisfying and easy dinner!

IMG_9608

We gabbed and gabbed and by the time we left the table it was after 10pm!

IMG_9610

We cuddled on the couch and did our blog thang while watching a movie with Eric.

IMG_9625

I am sad Ashley has to leave tomorrow. I feel like the fun has just begun!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jes (Self Motivation) July 6, 2010

I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of Vibrams this weekend. I was wondering what style your friend was wearing. I am torn between the Bikila and KSO styles. I’m not sure which is better. I’d like to use them for short runs, and I’d like to get into trail running with them.

Corinne (breathe and savor) June 17, 2010

my bf has owned vibrams for over a year now (after spending a lot of time researching them) and like most ppl who have tried them, swears by them. they have helped his injuries (from over worked muscles) and plantar fasciitis too. this past march i went with him to a barefoot running clinic that was hosted by virbam in boston, mass. the experience (of running in vff) was liberating! oh my, you feel like SUCH a kid! you are forced to adjust your running form and technique but not in a bad way, in a VERY comfortable way! i bought a pair and after running 2 miles, my calves were BURNING, but so worth it. these shoes really make a difference! i strongly encourage you to look into them more and maybe even try them yourself :)

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 16, 2010

I love those Vibrams, I would like to try them. We have a couple of folks in my running group that run in those weekly, not sure how they do, but I hear they really strengthen your feet.

What a great time had by you and Ashley!!!

Barbara June 16, 2010

Love love love my Vibrams!!!!!

Brynne June 16, 2010

Aw what a fun day! Sorry your meal was disappointing :0( You should try to recreate a more filling version!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 16, 2010

MMMMmmmmm Kaaaallllle Chiiiipppssss…. MY FAVORITE!!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 16, 2010

Aww. Looks like the perfect day!!! And kale chips RULE the world!

Victoria June 16, 2010

I wish you were UK based. I would totally stock up on your yummy bars! x

Andrea @ Sweet N Green June 16, 2010

That cafe is so cute, love the colors! Too bad the food wasn’t good :( I love Kombucha! Have you tried the Synergy drinks? I just had the Passionberry Bliss flavor. It was so good! I’ve also decided that I really need to try Kale chips. They sound so easy and delicious! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day :)

Red June 16, 2010

I’d get hate mail from VFF lovers if I left my email, but here’s my two cents:
I got the VFF’s with high hopes. Maybe I got the wrong size, maybe I have super sensitive feet, I don’t know, but I can’t run much more than two miles in them without getting a huge blister on the bottom of my big toe and the sides of others. They say to start out slow, but as I said I can only run about two miles a week and then recover from the blisters the rest of the week. You can’t train for anything on two miles a week! It was an expensive $90 experiment. I wanted to love ’em but I can’t. They just came out with a model made specifically for running and I’d like to try them, but they’re even more expensive then the other ones.

Tracey June 16, 2010

You girls are having so much fun! It makes me want to be there too! It’s too bad the restaurant was a bust, it looks really cute. Those kale chips sound crazy good, I need to try them soon!

MarathonVal June 16, 2010

What an amazing hike!! I’m curious about the Vibrams too, but I’ve heard that if you jump right into wearing them it can lead to foot problems… so I’m not sure how I feel about them. The book Born to Run mentions them quite a bit.. you might enjoy that book if you haven’t already read it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

I want to get that book so badly!

Kim June 16, 2010

What a fun day!

My husband just ran the Rome Marathon in his Vibrams and he absolutely swears by them. He does not run in ANYTHING else now!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 16, 2010

What a great day. Perfect weather too, couldn’t have timed it better with today’s weather eh!

I am going to Hikers Heven in Oakville Satuday after my 5K Pearson Airport race to check out Vibrams. There are a couple of stores in Toronto, but I’ll be at my girlfriends in Mississauga so Oakville is the smarter choice.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Thanks for the tip about Hikers Heven I didn’t know it existed. I might have to check it out on the way home from the market one Saturday.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 16, 2010

You two look like you’re having such a fun time!!!!
And those Vibrams…I have never seen such things?!?!?!? They’re crazy!! ;)

Lisa June 16, 2010

I am curious about those shoes too! But I’m nervous about making that first step.

Andrea June 16, 2010

I LOVE my Vibrams! I’m now up to running 10 miles in them, and my knees and feet have never felt stronger. I needed to increase my mileage pretty slowly in them, but now that I have, it’s pretty great. I highly recommend them!

Therese June 16, 2010

Oh man, I was just about to say that I’ll have to go to that restaurant with my best friend when I visit her in Burlington next month but now I’m not so sure! Ha ha Certainly looks like a cute place, though!

Still gotta try those kale chips!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 16, 2010

Aw what a bummer that your lunch was disappointing! I’ll try another dish out there sometime and let you know if it’s any better. ;)

Do you know of any other places like Kindfood in the area?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

No I don’t…I don’t even think OAKVILLE has a veg restaurant which is crazy because oakville is such a healthy area! I want to open up a restaurant hehe

Christine June 16, 2010

We have eco-chefs! Down the street from my work on Lakeshore, but it isn’t strictly vegetarian. More of a local food based restaurant, but their seasonal menu is really good and has some vegetarian items on it!
There used to be a vegetarian restaurant in Bronte too but I’m not sure if that’s still there.
You should check out Organic Garage too if you’re in Oakville for the Farmer’s Market! It’s cheaper than Whole Foods and has alot of the same sort of stuff.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Sounds interesting! I have never heard of eco-chefs. Sounds like my kind of place! Good to know they have a few veg options.

Camille June 16, 2010

Aww, sad that Ashley is leaving tomorrow! You guys seem like you’re having a blast!

Sarah for Real June 16, 2010

I love Kombucha! I drink Synergy (grape flavor is the best) because the vinegar taste gets toned down with the little bit of fruit juice they add.

If you believe nothing else about it, you can appreciate it for the probiotics produced during fermentation.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

I love that it has probiotics! Esp cuz I dont eat dairy and I occasionally supplement.

Marijke June 16, 2010

Hi Angela,
Just wanted to leave you a quick comment to say how much I love your blog! I feel like I can connect with you on so many levels… I also went through a lot of the same things you went through- eating disorder, struggling with my weight etc
I started running last October and ran my first half marathon in March this year. Exercising and being fit has made such a massive difference to my life, and how I feel about myself.
I’ve signed up for a couple more races (10km this Sunday, and a half marathon again next March) and although training can be a hard slog sometimes, the feeling afterwards really makes it worth it!

So yes, this is just a little thank you for such an amazing, interesting blog, and for brightening my day every day :)

Marijke

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Hi Marijke! Thank you so much for leaving such a nice comment..totally made me smile. Congrats on all the amazing changes you have made! You should be so proud of yourself. I love hearing about others who get hooked on racing to…it’s seriously one of my favourite things in the world.

Marcia June 16, 2010

I don’t remember how long ago that I discovered kale chips. But since then, I haven’t eaten kale any other way.

Jennifer June 16, 2010

I went to Kind Food a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend, we had their sandwich and the lasagna. The lasagna was okay, but the sandwich was really good. I also was still hungry after my meal. But they do have a lot of cool stuff you can buy there, and the people were super friendly. I would go back to shop or for their juice (I had the Beets me, it was my first experience with Beet juice and it blew me away) but I’m not sure about eating there again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Oh I should have gotten the sandwich (I was thinking about it!)…sorry to hear about the lasagna too. I feel like they need to tweak their recipes a bit? Maybe just some kinks to iron out, perhaps. I too loved the beet juice! Mmmm. Did you try any baked goods?

Jennifer June 16, 2010

Yeah they could probably use some tweaking, maybe their menu will grow and change with customer feedback they get over time. I didn’t try any baked goods because I live in Milton and I was in Burlington for the day so I didn’t want to carry anything around all day but I think I’d probably be tempted to try something if I go back.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow June 16, 2010

Oh I just hate disappointing dishes from new places! Well…you must just recreate that dish in your own kitchen to your own delight! :)

Hike and time with Ashley looks so fabulous. I miss my girl time!

Lauren June 16, 2010

Hardly any of my friends had even HEARD of blogs when I started mine up. I can’t imagine actually getting to spend time with someone who understands! Looks like you guys had a great time. :-)

Lisa @ leesespeeces June 16, 2010

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks vibrams are thee coolest.
Happy Tuesday!

Lisa @ leesespeeces June 16, 2010

Wednesday*! Where has the time gone???

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

hahahah that is SO me (thinking it is tuesday!)

Alex June 16, 2010

I am making kale chips for sure!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 16, 2010

What crazy sock/shoes. I love that fresh bowl for lunch..

Callie June 16, 2010

I should probably try kale chips. They look really good. :)
It sounds like you had so much fun.

Amber K June 16, 2010

Such a bummer that the meal wasn’t filling. I hate wasting money eating out, only to leave hungry! Then again, that is better to me that being overstuffed with junk.

Kale chips still make me nervous, but you have definitely made them sound worth it!

mery June 16, 2010

what an awesome adventure in the woods! :) glad you warrior women found your way out.

jenna June 16, 2010

i haven’t tried vibrams but they look really interesting!!

Holly June 16, 2010

The kale chips look interesting. I have never tried kale but I think it might be time!

Michelle Rollins June 16, 2010

A friend of mine has those Vibrams! She did yoga in them. They look like my sorta thing, because I don’t like wearing shoes!

Emily June 16, 2010

That cafe looks cute but it’s a shame about the food – it makes me sad that sometimes people can try so hard but just end up with something like tastes a bit blah!

Also you two look like you’re having SO much fun! It’s always good to see people just having an awesome time together :D

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks June 16, 2010

One, Love the Vibram five fingers. Def get some! Two, I’m sold on kale chips. It’s time to get on the bandwagon already! Three, Love your dress in that last picture :). I have it in the magenta, blue and grey!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2010

Ohhh I remember that color too…love it.