Sprint To The Finish

Greetings!

I deemed today the fastest. day. ever. I’m not even joking around here, today felt like 90 minutes, if that! Don’t you find that the days you want to go by slowly (aka: you have too much to get done) always go by the quickest? What gives!

So yes, today was a bit crazy. I tried to keep my cool, but I will tell you that my female hormones were not on my side today…or for the past week… as my husband might verify… :blink:

But, my eye was on the prize my friends..the prize of a magical day off tomorrow with my special visitor who is arriving tonight at precisely a freckle past a hair.

Dinner must be consumed no matter how busy one may be!

Zucchini + EVOO + sea salt + gound black pepper =

IMG_9054

You may rest in peace tonight because my zucchini isn’t naked this time.

Couscous.

IMG_9062 (2)

I somehow forgot about the 25 pound pail of couscous I have in the house (I buy a lot of my food in bulk)…so I decided to have a couscous feast. Fluffy ivory clouds kissed by the heavens, that’s what couscous is made of.

I added some jacked up pasta sauce which was 1 bottle pasta sauce + a few processed carrots, red pepper, garlic scapes + more seasonings.

IMG_9064

Mix!

IMG_9065

More sea salt.

Time for some black beans to enter this party.

IMG_9057

IMG_9066

Piece a cake!

IMG_9068 (2)

IMG_9071 (2)

IMG_9072 (2)

IMG_9075

It was pretty amazing I must say.

Sprint Triathlon Training Plan

I recently announced that Eric and I will be participating in another Try-a-tri race on July 18th and I also hope to do my first Sprint Triathlon on Sept 5th (pending my training for the open-water swim goes well).

I hoped to have my training plan ready by tonight, but that didn’t fully happen, however I do have Week 1 all set which began yesterday with my 5-mile run.

I hope to have the following per week:

• 1 long run
  • 1 long bike
  • 2 swims (some open-water swims mixed in here and there)
  • 1 Brick Workout (shorter bike + run)
  • 1 Strength workout (most likely my Booty Camp Fitness DVD)
  • Minimum 1 rest day a week, more if necessary

I am also going to participate in a Women’s Triathlon Clinic on the evening of July 13th that will focus on open-water swim technique.

I will be working on my training plan over the next week, but for now you can check it out here. I will also be talking more about how I plan on fitting in my training with a busy schedule. It should be a busy summer!

Have a great night!

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 14, 2010

Where do you buy all of your food in bulk from? I would love to buy some foods in bulk, especially flours. Can’t wait to see your training plan!

2 Kristina June 14, 2010

that’s awesome you two are doing another tri !! :) (you should have another auction, hint hint…)

:) !

that dinner looks amazing; have fun with your visitor & day off ! :)

3 Callie June 14, 2010

That looks like a delicious dinner. I’m now thinking of cooking up some couscous.
Good luck on your next tri!

4 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 14, 2010

Awesome job on your training! And that dinner looks deeeelish.

5 Lauren June 14, 2010

I’m so jealous of all of the opportunities you have in your area! If I could find this many triathlons and races within driving distance of my house, I might just sign up for them! Excited to see how you train and compete in them.

6 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 14, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dinner!
And what a great idea to sign up for the clinic. When I was starting out in triathlon I joined a novice program of a local tri club which had scheduled workout sessions and technique classes. It was such a great way to learn about open water swimming, transitions etc

7 aletheia June 14, 2010

Ange, I’m confused — you were interviewed for over-exercising and over-training, and seemed to have learned from it, but wouldn’t your tri-athlon goal kind of un-do everything you said about learning from it?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

Are you saying it is not possible to safely train for a race without over-doing it? I would have to politely disagree. The difference between now and then is that I give my body proper rest when it needs it.

9 aletheia June 14, 2010

Point taken. I just meant that training for a triathlon is a vigorous undertaking, and I think that in the preparations it’s all too easy to over-train and over-exercise. Obviously, you know your body best though, and as you pointed out, you’ll be listening to it throughout your training. I’m sure you’ll do amazing too!

Best,
Aletheia

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

Yes, it can be, I do agree that there is potential to over-train for any type of race. I think a good point to stress is that whatever training plan I come up with, is simply that- a plan- and I have no problem adjusting it to my body’s needs. Whereas previously, like I talked about in the interview, I would not give myself rest days and I pushed myself through pain and got injured.

I think I did a good job of illustrating my positive changes over the past several months, as I had between 1-4 rest days per week during my training (as shown on the calendar), and I have never felt better. I even had a couple ‘funks’ with no exercise to speak of. I’m fine with that now.

I am sure there will be times when I divert off the plan and I am 100% ok with that. It is used more so as a motivator more than anything. The races are a huge course of pleasure in my life and I wouldn’t change it for the world. =)

11 Lauren @ Eater not a runner June 14, 2010

I love cous cous…. yum :-)

12 Megan@EatScrapRun June 14, 2010

I am excited to hear your plans for fitting training into your busy schedule. I am so excited for you that you caught the triathlon bug! I am hoping the oil stays out of my part of the Gulf so I can do some triathlons this summer too!

13 Sarah R June 14, 2010

Is your visitor a blogger? I’m going to guess a blogger who also used to make bars!! What a fun time you guys will have!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

mayyyyyyybe ;)

15 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 14, 2010

How inspiring all the tri’s that you guys are doing. What a great job. I need to get my butt in gear and do the half marathon I have been wanting to do.

16 Erin June 14, 2010

I love busy days like that. Every day has been insanely busy since I started my new job but I like feeling so productive!

17 mary @ what's cookin' with mary June 14, 2010

Great dinner! I like how fast it comes together ;)

18 Sarah June 14, 2010

You ALWAYS make the most wonderful dinners.

Would you come cook for me?

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

If you make me dessert! ;p

20 Wei-Wei June 14, 2010

Awesome! Good luck on your training, Ange! Your dinner looks fab, by the way. I love pasta sauce and beans… haven’t tried couscous many times before, but this sounds deeeeelish! :)

Wei-Wei

21 Leah June 14, 2010

I LOVE couscous – that dinner looks amazing! :)

22 TiaMarie June 14, 2010

How do you even do it?!?! I wish I could be as in shape and motivated to do as many races as you do!! Maybe someday. *wishful thinking*

23 Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 14, 2010

Are you planning on renting a wetsuite for your open water swims right now? I can remember 2 Canada days ago the Lake Oh was FREEZING, to the point where the water hurt.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

The lake where we will be training in is actually in the low 70’s right now and was deemed safe to swim in a bathing suit. Luckily it is a very small lake! :)

25 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 14, 2010

I can totally relate to this thing we call “time”. I’ve started a marathon training program for a November half marathon and a December marathon training. I want so badly to be able to blog about it daily on my SparkPeople page but where do I find the time. I’m writing this as I’m working from home tonight….it’s a piece of my sanity while my system is timing…..Where do we find the time to blog….I need it desperately! I want to get back to triathlon but I’ve decided to wait unitl 2011 for triathlon and have 2010 as my marathon year. I love triathlon so much but can’t find the time…heck I can barely find the time for training for marathon much less incorporating my swim and cycling practices. Work is overbearing at the moment and it’s taking over my life right now and I can’t stand it!!! Ahhhhh, sorry I had to vent….eeek!

I will not stress…I will not stress!!!

Can’t wait to see your training plans.

26 Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 14, 2010

Mmmm, I love me some quinoa. When I first got pregnant quinoa was the tastiest thing to me,

27 jenny June 14, 2010

Yum! That looks like a fabulous dinner to make…. I bet I could make it in bulk for the week even? Great idea!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

Yup you sure could!

29 Amber K June 14, 2010

Looks like a really tasty meal! I had sante fe quinoa for dinner tonight and the black beans are my favorite part!

30 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 14, 2010

Ohhh who’s the special guest? I guess we’ll find out tomorrow lol. Good luck on getting your training schedule together. :)

31 wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 14, 2010

Thanks for reminding me that couscous doesn’t have to be boring!
I have a ton of sauce in my pantry….now I’m inspired!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2010

mmm its so fluffy and good! I forgot about it for a long time, and it always exceeds my expectations.

33 GirlonRaw June 14, 2010

So funny how your day flew by in 90minutes as I said the EXACT same thing to my partner about yesterday! And hell yes, it is always the days we need the most to not go so quickly. Awesome news about the triathlon, you are so inspiring girl! I recommended your blog to a few friends yesterday (who are also getting into the Tri spirit).

34 Carly @ Happy Healthy Foodie June 14, 2010

You always create the most yummy looking meatless recipes! :) Way to go on the new training plan!!

35 Sasha June 15, 2010

Love reading your posts. As I live on a different time zone, it’s the first thing I read every morning!

Is your visitor a new puppy? :)
That would be awesome and you could have a protective running partner for
times when Eric can’t accompany you on his bike….

36 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 15, 2010

i love the training plan!!! almost just as much as i love how healthy and yummy that meal looks!!!! <3 especially with the beans tossed in there!!!

xoxo

37 Becky June 15, 2010

Hi Angela! I see that you used garlic scapes again in your cous cous recipe. After reading about your amazing spread I tried to find them at Whole Foods today but no luck. Any suggestion on where I can find garlic scapes? thanks for the help :)

38 Kris | iheartwellness.com June 15, 2010

Great looking SIMPLE dinner! I love recipes like these :)

I think you are the black bean queen :)

XXOO

39 jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 15, 2010

loooove panfried zuke. YUMMERS.

40 Annie@stronghealthyfit June 15, 2010

That couscous looks awesome- quick and easy! I might just make a big batch of that to have for a few days in the fridge.

41 Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 15, 2010

Your dinner looks delicious and healthy! I have never made couscous but always heard it can get dry easily… but this recipe looks great and it obviously won’t get dry with the pasta sauce. I am excited to try it! Thanks!

Good luck with your training!

42 Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 15, 2010

I think this week is going that way for a lot of people!!!! CrAzY!!!!

And holy yum, batman!!!!

43 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind June 15, 2010

I love how varied your training schedule is going to be. It might be tough, but at least you’ll never get bored, right?

44 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 15, 2010

I’ve never eaten couscous like that, but man does it look good! I guess I need to start thinking of pasta sauce as a topping for more than pasta.

45 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 15, 2010

That couscous looks absolutely amazing – I am envious that your day yesterday went by quickly – mine was like molasses!

46 Heather June 15, 2010

nomnomnomnom…i love couscous and basically everything you put in it! you what’s also good with zucchini + olive oil + salt and pepper? roasting them! i tried that this weekend and it was AMAZING!

47 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 15, 2010

That dinner looks so great! I’m thinking it must be fate, since I’m still trying to figure out what to make tonight – or at least I was, until I saw this (:

48 Helen June 15, 2010

Your training plan looks great. Good luck! I am so excited for you. I love your dinner. I used to have couscous all the time when I lived at home but I never have it now. The way you cooked your was how I used to do mine – tomato sauce and kidney beans. Delicious!

49 Kittie June 15, 2010

That dinner looks fantastic! I love couscous, I have a big ol’ tub of it that I keep forgetting about. Thanks for reminding me!

50 Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 15, 2010

The BEST kind of dinner….quick, healthy and super tasty! It just goes to show how little time really has to go into making a balanced meal.

51 Andrea @ Sweet N Green June 15, 2010

That couscous looks amazing!

52 Tyffanie June 15, 2010

Angela–
I just wanted to let you know that I made my first Green Monster last night and loved it!!! Thanks for the inspiration. I blogged about it today too(http://lachilenguita.blogspot.com/2010/06/green-monster-me.html)!

53 jassy June 15, 2010

just do what you love because when winter comes you won’t be able to do them…:)

enjoy life and enjoy summer!:)

54 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 15, 2010

That’s so awesome that you guys are doing another tri together! Training is so much easier when you have a partner to motivate you!

Love the dinner. You always have the best ideas for kicking grain dishes up a notch. :)

55 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 15, 2010

Your dinner looks so awesome! I’ve always admired the plates you are serving on.

56 Jessica June 15, 2010

I. love. couscous.
Your dinner looks fantastic!

57 Natasha June 15, 2010

Hi Angela!

Just wondering where abouts you get your Amazing Grass products? I ordered, and LOVE, the chocolate protein powder, but I ordered it through the States (yikes customs). :(

Is that your fav protein powder??

58 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 15, 2010

Ahhhh! Ashley is the BEST! Her nut butters are amazing, and she’s just so funny. Hope you two are having a blast :)

59 Nicole June 15, 2010

Oh wow. That dinner looks so good that I might actually have to make it for myself. I’m such a picky eater and I’m usually too lazy to cook after a long day at work and school but this looks like pure deliciousness.

60 Jessica June 15, 2010

Your couscous looked so good, I had to make it tonight!! I loved that it was quick to make, and it tasted so good (why didn’t I think of adding tomato sauce to couscous before now??). I will definitely be making this one again!

61 Sara June 16, 2010

Does Eric eat the dinners you make (which always look sooo good)? My boyfriend is very meat-and-potatoes, so we never eat the same thing, which actually bothers him.

62 Victoria June 16, 2010

The dinner looks lovely. I haven’t quite hit it off with cous cous but maybe I need to give it another chance :) Your blog is literally all I need to make me want to eat veggies and go out for a run! It’s better than a personal trainer any day! ha.

xx