Easy Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto

Good morning!

I’m writing this post at 6am on a Saturday because I am just that excited to tell you about it!

First, I need to get this off my chest…

GARLIC SCAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_8989

“The garlic plant has more than one usable portion. While many people are aware of the many uses for the garlic bulbs, not as many persons are aware that the stalk of the garlic plant is also edible.” [Source]

I eat a lot of veggies, however I am always over the moon when I can discover a new veggie and figure out what to do with it!

Second, thank you to everyone who told me what this scary but magical veggie is and offered some recipe ideas! I think my CSA post is going to become a weekly feature. It was so fun to read everyone’s thoughts on new recipe ideas! Maybe we can start a recipe club. :tongue:

Third, what I am about to show you is life-changing. I do not joke about these things. This recipe left me ohhhing and awwwing and talking about it all night. Eric even scarfed it down!

I will get right down to business.

IMG_9217 (2)

Easy Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto

Inspired by Kalyn’s Kitchen.

Ingredients:

• 3 garlic scapes, rinsed and chopped a few times to break up
  • 1.5 cups of my 3-minute parmesan cheeze (I tripled the batch so I would have lots leftover!)
  • Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon (approx 2 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • handful of fresh spinach

Directions: Make the 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze, by toasting 1.5 cups of sesame seeds in the oven until lightly golden in colour and then throw seeds, nutritional yeast, and salt into a blender. Process for 30-60 seconds. Parmesan cheese is complete! Step 2) Remove cheese from processor and set aside. Now throw in the garlic scapes and fresh lemon juice and process until fine. Add the vegan parmesan slowly in 1/2 cup increments, alternating with the extra virgin olive oil. Process until smooth or desired consistency. As a final step take your rinsed spinach and throw in and process. It will turn into a lovely green colour. Serve and enjoy! Makes 1.5-2 cups.

IMG_9204

I figured it needed a little pop of GREEN, don’t you?

IMG_9209

Much better.

IMG_9216

I cannot even tell you how DELICIOUS this is!!! I just can’t. You have to make it for yourself to understand. I think I inhaled half of it on spot.

IMG_9219

This was quite possibly the best thing that has ever come out of my food processor.

I am in love with garlic scapes! Their flavour is out of this word- they are very, very garlicky and to my delight they did not give me stomach pains like regular garlic does. You have no idea how happy I was to be able to eat something garlicky and not suffer afterwards! This also marked the first time that I have made pesto and actually was impressed by it (the first time I made it a while ago it was very off tasting).

IMG_9253 (2)

I still have a ton of garlic scapes leftover and I can’t wait to throw them onto salads, roast them, and make a stir-fry with them. YUM.

If there is one thing you do this weekend RUN to your local market, pick up some garlic scapes (they aren’t in season for long!), and make this pesto. You will still be glowing from ear to ear come Monday morning.

IMG_9250 (2)

Speaking of the Farmers Market, I am off to the orientation! My plan is to woo the farmer’s with Glo Bars and bring home copious amounts of strange veggies every week. :biggrin:

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 12, 2010

I love when I learn about new veggies and recipes from blogs…I really thought that was like a wire or something when I looked fast at that first picture. I can’t wait to try!

2 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 12, 2010

I am not a vegan, but this pesto looks to die for. I make spinach pesto and hummus with real cheese and garlic. I love the garlic scape – I saw it at a Farmer’s Market last week, had no clue what it would taste like so I stayed away. Great find and perfect recipe for it!

3 Brittany June 12, 2010

I have never heard of garlic scapes but this recipe looks fab. I’ll have to check my local farmer’s market!!

4 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 12, 2010

That pesto looks SO GOOD!! Oh my goodness I would love to try some of that.

5 Stefanie June 12, 2010

That looks really good. If I ever get my hands on some garlic scapes I may have to try that recipe. Thank you. :)

6 Wei-Wei June 12, 2010

This recipe sounds so cooool! Doesn’t pesto usually include nuts, though? I guess that the garlicky flavour would definitely be enough, though. This looks great! Nice and fresh :)

Wei-Wei

7 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010

Yes some pesto recipes have nuts…this one has seeds! ;) You can always add nuts if you desire.

8 Kalynskitchen June 12, 2010

Looks great, I like your addition of spinach.

9 Marta June 12, 2010

I just picked up some nutritional yeast this week to try it out, now I’m so wishing I hadn’t composted my garlic scapes! I think I’ll head to the market today to find some and try this recipe. Looks delish! So curious about that vegan parm too.

Angela, you’ve been a huge inspiration to me. I came across your blog while searching for some healthy smoothie recipes. I was trying to get my energy back up after being sick for most of May. Your healthy ideas, recipes and links to other fabulous health and wellness blogs have gotten my wheels turning. I’m looking at food a whole new way, I’m even considering going vegan (or beegan, I don’t think I”ll give up honey, and what a fun word!). My energy has definitely improved and I have a feeling my immune system is going to be much improved with all the good things I’m giving my body these days.

So, thank you! For sharing your experiences and motivating myself and others to try new and healthy things. :)

I’m curious, do you get sick much? Have you noticed a change in how often you get sick since you’ve changed your diet?

10 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010

Hi Marta!
Thanks for your sweet comments! :) Congrats on all of the healthy changes you have made to your diet. To answer your question, I rarely ever get sick (*knocks on wood)…I used to be sick ALL the time…literally once a month if not more and I can’t remember the last time I got sick. It has been over a year I would say! Not bad. :)

11 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 12, 2010

I love discovering new veggies! The CSA share sounds like such a good way to do that because grocery store chains never really have interesting produce.

That pesto looks delish!

12 wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 12, 2010

I never use my garlic scapes, and now I’m feeling a little wasteful! You inspired a mini-post today on my blog about the things I don’t use, but would like to learn more about…

Thanks for the inspiration!

13 lin June 12, 2010

ooo I can’t wait to try this! just bought nutritional yeast last night!
btw i made overnight oats with chia seeds, inspired by your video, loved them!

14 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010

Glad you enjoyed the oats!!

15 Danielle (Runs on Green) June 12, 2010

I’ve never seen garlic scapes before but this looks *awesome* I’m a huge fan of garlic so the garlickier the better
^is that a word?

16 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 12, 2010

Hahah-I was gone all day yesterday, JUST read your last post and was just about to comment that! They’re GOOD! I didn’t know until recently what they were either, it took culinary school!! hah

What a FABULOUS looking pesto!

xo
Kris

17 Courtney Carver June 12, 2010

I am a big fan of garlic scapes and your post yesterday inspired me to look into a farm share. This time last year, they were all sold out in my community, but this year, there are several farms still offering full and half shares.

Thanks for this recipe…can’t wait to try it!

18 Adrienne June 12, 2010

Hi Angela. I just wanted to know where you got your colorful spoons?? I see that Caitlin at HTP uses them also and they’re so cute! Thanks!

19 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010

Crate and Barrel appetizer spoons :)

20 Camille June 12, 2010

I have never even heard of garlic scrapes!
Sounds awesome! Thanks for the great tip :)

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 12, 2010

Ahh I see you did go with a pistou! Nice choice.

22 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 12, 2010

Mmmmmm my mom and I LOVE pesto on paninis!! It absolutely makes the sandwich. I didn’t know that’s what garlic looked like pre-ground. Or is that just a certain type? Either way, very creative and I’ll have to try this next time I’m home!

23 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 12, 2010

I received garlic scapes from a neighbour last year but I had no idea what to do with them. Well, now I do! The hunt for more begins.

24 Amber K June 12, 2010

OMG, that sounds absolutely amazing! I have never heard of garlic scapes before, and I’m not even sure where I could find them. But this recipe sounds sooo good!

25 Becki @ HikeBikeEat June 12, 2010

Vegan parmesan cheese!!! I’ll have to try it – I’m lactose intolerant. Do you have any other “cheese” recipes? I NEED!

26 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010
27 Kristina June 12, 2010

wow, this sounds fabulous!! I want to try this :)

that vegan parm IS amazing.

28 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 12, 2010

I definitely can not wait to try this out!!

29 Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 12, 2010

Never hear of garlic scapes until today. Thanks for sharing.

30 Steph June 12, 2010

Oh, I saw scapes at the market this morning! I didn’t stop to check them out but now I wish I had. I’ll grab some next time so I can try this pesto.

31 Annie@stronhealthyfit June 12, 2010

Awesome! I’ve heard of scapes but didn’t really know what they looked like. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for them at farmers markets this summer! I <3 garlic.

32 She-Fit June 12, 2010

WOW! I’ve never seen / heard of garlic scapes, but this recipe looks delicious and so easy to make. I’m definitely saving this recipe to make later on this week. Thanks for making me glow :)

33 Bridget June 12, 2010

Mmmmmmmm I love pesto! This looks delicious!

Have fun at your orientation. I’m sure you’ll sell TONS of globars with your charm :)

34 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 12, 2010

Wow, that looks and sounds awesome. I’d never heard of garlic scapes before. I’ll be on the lookout…

35 Helen June 12, 2010

I’ve never heard of these but thanks for telling us about them. Your pesto looks so simple and delicious. I love the colour of it too. I’ve never heard of vegan Parmesan cheeze. Is this your own recipe??

36 AngelaOSG June 13, 2010

I adapted a recipe that I linked to in the original post (it is linked in the ingredients for the pesto) =)

37 JL June 12, 2010

I picked some up at the farmer’s market today! I’m going to toss them with tofu in a marinade for the grill tonight…with grilled bok choy from the FM, too. Thanks for inspiring the meal!

38 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 12, 2010

i love learning new stuff!!! what an amazing discovery…and an amazing recipe to go along with it! YUMMMMMMMM :)

39 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 12, 2010

Love the new twist on pesto…YUMMY! Gotta try that with a veggie I’ve never heard of until now, GARLIC Scapes….kinda cool sounding. Woohoo!!!

40 Jo June 13, 2010

I will be having to make this ASAP.

41 Tina June 13, 2010

I got some of those last week and the ‘farmer’ didn’t know what they were called, but he did say they were garlic, not onions. I had no idea what to do with them either, I will have to get more & try this pesto, it looks delicious!

42 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 13, 2010

Wooooowww, this looks unbelievable!!! I’ve been meaning to find these – are they the same as ramps??

43 Ashley June 14, 2010

Can’t wait to try this pesto!!! Looks absolutely delicious!! Where did you find the spoons? I’ve been looking everywhere for them. :)

44 Nichole June 14, 2010

The sad thing about garlic scapes is that the window is so short, but the good news is that the pesto freezes wonderfully…so my advice is to buy as many of these bad boys as you can, make as much pesto as you can, and freeze, freeze, freeze!

45 k8 June 14, 2010

I don’t get a CSA, but my garden is starting to produce and I am determined to at least TRY to use everything that’s edible. I had to pull my Daikon radishes because they were going to seed and the sad little radishes weren’t much of a radish, but the greens. The lovely, lovely greens! I had no idea what I was going to do with them and googled all kinds of options and finally settled on “pesto” also! Radish greens, the baby radishes, garlic, olive oil and some parmesan? HOLY HEAVEN! Beautiful and green and I ate mine on toast. And then ate the rest of it with a spoon.

46 Ien van Houten July 17, 2010

I have grown garlic for years and always ate the scapes because it seemed like a waste to toss them out! However, this pesto thing is a new twist. Out of al the recipes I am cruising today this one looks the most appealing. Though I am not a fan of pretend cheese, or pretend anything.

47 Camille July 20, 2010

I think the best ingredient in the world is garlic! My mom and I used to eat garlic as a meal.. Just roasted it in the oven for like 2 hours. Bad news is, the whole house smells like garlic for at least a few days, so some people think that is a blessing and some find it a crime.. I love it!
-Sylvia
Medical Marijuana Scales

48 Jen July 22, 2010

Awesome!! Bought garlic scapes for the first time at the farmar today. Now I know how I’m gonna use them!

49 Grandma Evie July 31, 2010

We have been eating scapes ever since growing our own garlic. You have to cut it while it is still curled or it becomes tough. I think it only grows from the “stiff-neck garlic” variety. If left on the plant, it develops the seed head. This year I canned it together with green beans. I originally cooked it with green beans, onion and bacon. Now I will fry some bacon and saute’ a little onion, then add the jar of scapes and beans. Wha-la. Will definitely try your pesto next year. Scapes keep in the fridge for a long time. Kept mine in a plastic bag for over a month until the beans were ready.

50 lorne August 1, 2010

i am a garlic grower and just finished taking 400 garlic scapes off and was looking to do something with them this looks grat thanks

51 karri June 18, 2012

Does your parmesan cheez taste like parm? Because I have a hate/hate affair with cheeses (real or fake). If its just there to give it substance, then I am cool with it. …

52 Whytney September 20, 2012

If you can’t find garlic scapes, could you substitute with chives? I’m keen to try this as a mid-week meal one night next week.

Thanks :}

Whytney

53 Nancy Dunn June 24, 2013

Great photos and fine recipe. Thank you. We make pesto with or without cheese, depending upon our guests and whim and larder. I’ll definitely try your variation. But have you tried it with lime juice instead of lemon? I’ve used both during experiments and now vastly prefer lime juice; it seems to better complement the brightness of the scape flavor. Here’s the page with my our recipes: GarlicFarmCT.com/recipes.htm and a bunch of serving suggestions.

54 Ellie July 1, 2013

I’m so excited to try this. I’m growing my first garlic crop this year and heard you could eat the scapes. I’ve never had them and had no idea what to do with them. I’m going to make this tonight and make garlic scape refrigerator pickles with the rest! So excited!

55 Shaw Girl June 15, 2014

Hi! I’m super excited to try this recipe but am a little confused. Did you mean 3 bunches of garlic scapes or three actual garlic scapes? Three garlic scapes really isn’t a lot. Thanks!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2014

Hi there, I meant 3 single garlic scapes (and not 3 bunches) – hope this helps & enjoy!

57 waldohood June 28, 2014

Did I miss how much nutritional yeast to use? Hope to make this tonight- looks wonderful!

58 cyndi July 6, 2015

I just made this tonight, to go on a veggie buddha bowl, and it was outstanding! I used mesclun greens instead of spinach, because that’s what we had in the fridge, but it was so, so very tasty. Thanks for another fantastic recipe.