Are You A Nature Girl?

Good evening!

I’m not sure about you, but today has flown by for me. My in laws were here today and Eric was also working from home, so we had a full house! I still have a lot of work to get caught up on tonight. My MIL was off to Ireland this afternoon to meet her brothers for an Ireland-Spain road trip. I attempted to hide in her suitcase, but unfortunately she is an over-packer much like her daughter-in-law…

She was SO proud to show me one of her purchases for her trip from a store called Ricki’s

Rickis general apparel 9117ht9657 21080 02 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

She knows how much I love lace and detailed-backs on tops. We actually have a very similar style…we are always complimenting each other on each other’s clothing! One thing she got me hooked on are brightly coloured scarves…I never used to wear them and now I always do. They are a great way to accent clothing or spruce up an outfit.

For dinner, Eric and I threw together a huge salad. We realized that it is our CSA pick-up tonight (Week 2!) and we still have a lot of veggies to plough through! We managed to demolish about 75% of our produce in these salads. Not bad!

IMG 8922 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

This was one of the best salads…wait, I said that last time. :lol: They are ALL amazing, I will just leave it at that!

IMG 8926 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

In this huuuuge salad contained: 1.5 organic romaine hearts, 1 small avocado, 1 tomato, 1/2 cup leftover stir-fry veggies, 3/4 cup lentils mixed in pasta sauce (on bottom), 3-4 tbsp of my better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette (obsessed!!), sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG 89303 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

A little tidbit about Eric- he used to only eat Caesar salad when I first met him 10 years ago, but he has developed a love for all kinds of salads now. Sometimes we have to fight over the last of the lettuce!

For dessert, some dark chocolate

IMG 8984 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

I LOVE this chocolate!!! I may have snuck another square when I was putting it away… :whistle: Cannot stop eating it.

IMG 8822 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

Some backyard photography ensued..

IMG 8931 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

IMG 8936 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

Nature makes my heart go a flutter.

IMG 8938 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

Don’t these pictures just make you want to go camping??

IMG 8939 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

IMG 8941 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

Swoon.

IMG 8943 thumb   Are You A Nature Girl?

Health News Round Up

Spotted:

Tonight’s question- Are you a nature girl? Do you like to go camping? Any camping stories/tips to share?

I am a huge nature girl! I feel like I am in my element when I am in nature. That is why living in the big city for 2 years didn’t really mesh with my personality. Eric is the same way. I’m on the fence with camping…I have only been a couple times (we don’t own tents) so I don’t really know HOW to camp. I feel like I need a tutorial…I wouldn’t know what to bring or what food to pack. Might make for an interesting blog post though! :biggrin:

When my best friend and I were young (grades 7-9 mostly), we used to camp in my backyard. We would pack all kinds of food (enough for a week!), grab our flashlights, and then put a super-powerful trinket lock on the tent. One time we woke up to a crazy pheasant trying to get into our tent! That was the end of that!

We are off to pick up our CSA box!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 9, 2010

I absolutely love nature because it is FREE. If you go to my blog, over the last month, I’ve visited a couple of nature parks and sanctuaries, all for free and they are beautiful. I have never been real camping (does a tent in the backyard at age 10 count?). not because i’m opposed, just haven’t been.
I would love to go camping once the summer heat calms down. Apparently florida has some good camp sites, too.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 9, 2010

Yah for being a Nature girl. I am too 100%, I love camping, although I have moved up from a tent now – I like campers!! ahha but I do love being out there!! So fun1

Dorry June 9, 2010

I love nature more and more the older I get! We went camping in Big Sur at the beginning of May and it was incredible. I love your comment about Eric and Caesar salad – my fiance is the exact same way! In the 1.5 years we’ve been together, I’ve opened his eyes to all types of salads. Now one of his favorite places is the Whole Foods salad bar!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

ohh Ive heard that Big Sur is SO gorgeous! I’d love to go someday.

Lisa June 9, 2010

I love camping! My favorite camping trip was when I took a road trip out to Montana to visit a friend. We went camping literally in the middle of nowhere. We had a lake all to ourselves, ate and hung out. It was fun!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please June 9, 2010

I LOVE the outdoors, but am not a huge fan of camping! I think my biggest problem is how I’m always left smelling smokey from a camp fire! Oh, and I have to let my hair go natural!

Kristina June 9, 2010

I *LOVE* camping (my tent has a porch – ha!). I don’t know if I have any tips, except pack light if you are hiking / backpacking. You only make THAT mistake once, ahem.

Jason and I lived in the noisy city in a (really awesome) buzz-entry building for three (long) years. Now we are out on 2 acres with a golf course on the other side. ahh, pure bliss and QUIET. :) we can see stars, there are NO city lights.

that salad? YUM

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

hahah your tent has a porch…I have ALWAYS wanted one of those!!!!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 9, 2010

I can’t wait to get my produce delivery tomorrow. I am running sparse on veggies around here. I had to pick up a few for dinner tonight to make it through

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 9, 2010

I love the pictures from your backyard! You have such pretty flowers.

I’m a huge nature girl! :D I used to do canoe trips up in Northern Ontario once or twice per summer. The scenery is stunning there!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Eric has done that in algonquin park…he said it was amazing. I’d love to go someday.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 9, 2010

i definitely am a nature girl, but within reason :) i love camping and getting outside, but i really enjoy my shower and clean sheets too!

Marai June 9, 2010

I’ve sadly never been camping, but I know I would absolutely love it. Especially the traditional food. Smores, anyone?

We (Fiance and I) do a bit of hiking though – at least twice a month- and are planning to tackle the 16 mile trek to Half Dome in Yosemite this year. Must stock up on Glo Bars for that hike!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

That sounds incredible! Send me pics if you can :)

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 9, 2010

I am definitely a nature girl, as you might have guessed by my blog title! I love all things summit and mountain-related. I have some of the best memories of my life from the times I’ve spent exploring the great outdoors. From hiking to rafting to camping to climbing, I love being outside in nature. It invigorates my soul!

Amy June 9, 2010

Definitely a nature girl. My B.S. is in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation and my Master’s is in Fisheries. Anything outside makes me happy. :) My trail running partners laugh at me because I’ll stop and take pictures or I’ll make them stop and smell some wild gardenias. Ahhhh, I love being outside. I love your picture of the dogwoods. Apparently, Canadian dogwoods are different than the Florida ones. Florida’s are more rounded – I like the pointed ends to the petals of yours. They look so dainty.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I’m so that person who stops and takes pictures when on the trails…and not just for the blog either…I used to be that way before the blog! I love photos of nature. I could stare at them all day long.

You inspired me to google dogwood varieties :) http://www.wildaboutgardening.org/en/features/section5/dogwood/dogwood.htm

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 9, 2010

That sounds like an amazing degree!! If I were an RN, I would love something like that. I’m in Florida, too. Pinellas county.

nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 9, 2010

weren’t*

Marilee June 9, 2010

Hi! Love your blog!

Im a huge nature girl and grew up camping. If you love nature, you’d love camping! I prefer tent camping even though im no spring chicken-I feel there is just something truly magical about waking up in a tent, feeling so close to nature. I have a 3 person tent, queen size air mattress and use an old sheet set & feather comforter so that its very comfortable. For meals, I have a small propane stove, and usually pre-make a few meals at home (do a stir fry and just quickly reheat it in a pan or make yummy burritos). I eat fruit and cereal for breakfast and have a french press for my coffee.

And im weird, but I love how I smell of campfire when I get home! =)

ohhh I think an air matress would be KEY! haha

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 9, 2010

What a pretty shirt!

I WISH I could get Nick to like salads aside from Caesar!! Working on it… ;)

I love the city, but I am a total nature girl too! I LOVE camping… I actually worked (and lived) at a camp all summer last summer! And then Nick and I went camping towards the end of the summer… and he FORGOT THE TENT POLES. An hour away from his house at 10pm at night, and no tent poles. He had to use rope and rig it to the tree! ahaha. It was fun, nonetheless :D

xo
K

Madeline @ meandchew.wordpress.com June 9, 2010

Hi, Angela! I discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and decided it was about time to comment! hehe. The salad looks soooooo good. As does the chocolate. I’ll have to give that brand a try.

I’m a nature girl, yes, though I typically pass on the camping. Trees. Mountains. Flowers. Wildlife. Creeks. Recycling (ha). A nature girl with bug spray at the ready ;)

Nice to meet you! :)

I think the worst part about camping IS the bugs…they love me for some reason and I get huge bumps from bites.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 9, 2010

What lovely photos! I LOVE camping – it brings back so many fond memories of my childhood! Sadly as an adult I havent gone camping much – so I must change that when summer comes back :)

Charlotte June 9, 2010

I love being outside! My husband and I go camping, backpacking, and rock climbing any chance we get. We are all set up whether car camping or backpacking and there is nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and drinking in the beauty of it all with your husband! He even proposed when we were on a week-long camping trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

What kind of gear do you use for rock-climbing?

Charlotte June 10, 2010

My husband has been climbing for over 15 years and I picked it up about 4 years ago so we have about everything you could need. We have harnesses and multiple pairs of climbing shoes, which is enough for a climbing gym, then we have ropes, gear to place in the rock, lots of forms of safety protection, webbing and I could go on and on. We love to climb indoors and out, but we are very safe climbers, so we have lots of stuff!

Courtney Carver June 9, 2010

So glad to find your site. I cannot wait to try that salad dressing!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 9, 2010

Camping’s one of my favorite! A bunch of friends and I would go every year for an end-of-the-school-year celebration. We’d spend the nights on the lake and making smores then wake up in the morning for a grilled breakfast. It’s so nice to just turn off your phone and star gaze.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I agree one of the benefits is disconnecting from technology!

Bridget June 9, 2010

I’m a bit of an outdoorsy girl, but I also love getting dressed up and feeling girly. I find I’m more nature driven in the summer than in the winter – probably due to the weather.

Loooove the shirt by the way. It will look so cute on you :) I have a few pieces from Ricki’s that I wear all the time.

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 9, 2010

it’s weird, i would describe myself as a city person for sure, but i adore the nature… overnight hiking trips (9-10 hours of mountain hiking in the westcoast rain with a hikers’ pack and a tent on my back) are my dream vacations. looove the mountains. the waters are okay, the ski slopes are meh, but i love mountains and trees and earth…

missing my hometown – vancouver – now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Eric and I want to go to BC soon for a vacation…never been!

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 9, 2010

you should go :) it’s beautiful and laid back. in fact when i was living in vancouver (and had never been outside of bc except the rocky mountain bits of alberta) i thought all of canada looked like that. giant surprise when i landed in toronto three years ago. there were no trees!!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 9, 2010

Great photos, Angela. I’m most definitely a nature girl. Of course I love being all high maintenance sometimes . . . but I’d much rather go camping/hiking than anything else. I just enjoy being outdoors . . . <3

Carly @ The Road To Health June 9, 2010

I LOVE camping and nature! We have lots of great spots in BC :) We go very often in the summer time! My healthy eating tip for camping is to prepare as much as possible before you go! I chop and dice all my veggies and fruit so they are easy to eat/cook with later on.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 9, 2010

I’m not a huge nature girl. I love being outside and in nature and surrounded by nature, but I can’t do the whole camping thing. I need my comforts–namely, a bed.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 9, 2010

I am absolutely not a nature girl. I like to stay in nice air-conditioned indoors where I can see my black stilettos.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

haha that cracked me up! I too hate parting with the stilettos.

Wei-Wei June 9, 2010

I’m not such a nature girl, actually… Bugs and plants and bad experiences with them have scared me a little. But I do like the occasional nature walk :P

Wei-Wei

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 9, 2010

I’m definitely a city girl through and through. I adore the beach, and I enjoy a day or two in the snowy mountains in the winter, but beyond that, I’m not that big into nature! Is that horrible?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I know many people who wouldn’t enjoy the snowy mountains and who hate the beach, so you are one up on them, lol.

Kelly June 9, 2010

Yum, that salad looks delicious!! And are those quick fire hydrangeas?? Just wondering, because we just planted two of them.. but they are just babies, so no flowers yet :)

Emily June 9, 2010

That salad looks AMAZING and it totally making me crave a big bowl of greens and veggies (lunch tomorrow… :D )

I am DEFINITELY a nature girl. It serves such a huge purpose in my life. Mostly its the best way to heal and releive stress; getting outdoors and active is my own form of therapy. It is also a major source of inspiration for my photography. My boyfriend and I use his digital SLR camera as our excuse to get out and hike new trails and explore :)

Mary June 9, 2010

I have gone on lots of day hikes and things and I love being out in the wilderness fending for myself even if its only for a couple of hours. My boyfriend and I though had our first date as a camping trip with his friend and his friend’s girlfriend. I rucked my things on my back for 3 nights. and hiked about 30 miles. What a start to an amazing relationship :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

you must have wowed him!

Jill June 9, 2010

I am truly a nature girl… my husband and I did a week-long camping/road trip for our honeymoon. Our wedding present from my parents was a handmade cedarstrip canoe from my dad!
We are supposed to go camping this weekend, but the weather forecast looks like rain and thunderstorms… so we may not :(
There’s nothing like waking up with the sun and birds at dawn, making french-press coffee over a fire, photographing the sunrise and taking a bath in the lake…. ok now I am REALLY hoping the weather improves this weekend. I even booked monday off in anticipation of a weekend in the woods!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

That sounds amazing. Do you guys usually go with others or on your own?

Jill June 10, 2010

We usually go on our own… but every once in a while we can convince friends to come. Most of them prefer camping in electrical campsites in the parks, with showers and facilities nearby :) Thats fun sometimes too though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I also heard about the T-storms which dont bode well for our planned open water swim and vball on sat and sun :(

Lynda June 9, 2010

I’m a total nature girl too! haha, and I haven’t been camping since I was a kid – I used to go with my Brownie troup and the Girl Guides, and LOVED camping in my friends’ backyard. :) And yet, when I’m in the city, I’m a total city girl – it’s weird. LOL But one day, I hope to own a little house all my own, with a little garden, and either close to the woods, like a cottage, or in the country. Although I think winters would still be easier in the City (I live in Ottawa and/or Toronto for school)

Sara June 9, 2010

I’m definitely an outdoorsy, camping kind of gal, although you wouldn’t know it by my normal routine! We live in the city (San Diego) but we’re really close to the mountains which I love. We went camping in Yosemite every year growing up, and now even though my dad won’t camp, my boyfriend will, so we still do it at least twice a year. I have a whole excel spreadsheet that I keep which has lists of what to bring, etc. I made it just by googling “camping list” or something similar but most of the lists that come up are longer than mine; I don’t find it necessary to bring so much stuff, and it’s really hard to manage that much with only 2 people!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Ive heard that is part of the beauty of california…being so close to the mountains. Would you mind sending me your list if you still have it? I would love to put something together and that might help angela@ohsheglows.com If not, no worries at all though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

All these camping stories make me want to go so badly now!

Sana June 9, 2010

I don’t think I could spend an ENTIRE night outside. I would just pretend to sleep for a few mins and then book it to the nearest hotel.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 9, 2010

I am a nature girl as long as “nature” provides me with heat and indoor plumbing! :)

highonhealthy June 9, 2010

I’m definitely a nature girl and while I think living in the city would be fun for a little while, I know I would get tired of all the concrete and crowds. As for camping.. the last time I went was probably around 10 years ago! I definitely need to get my butt out there because it would be a blast and so relaxing.

Thanks for the health roundups! I have lots of reading to keep me occupied free of boredom while at work. :D

Bianka June 9, 2010

Since I’ve started dating my boyfriend I have become such a nature girl! I always thought I was the girly girl who wouldn’t be able to handle the bugs and dirt but it’s really not bad at all! In fact I look forward to sitting by the fire and eating his camp specialty- the “hobo dinner”. It’s seriously my fav! When I used to eat meat he would wrap ground turkey and vegetables topped with everglades seasoning in aluminum foil, put it over the fire for a couple minutes, unwrap and voila dinner! dip the goodness in cattleman’s bbq sauce and it was sooo delicious…. now I’ll just stick to the veggies though :)

Alisha @ Unsual Passions June 9, 2010

Thanks for linking back to the pancakes! :-)

I adore camping. I could live in a tent, sleep in a sleeping bag, wear mosquito repellent for the whole summer if necessary. (I’ve done it before!)

Cedar trees are beautiful – great photos! The salad and chocolate look great, too.

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 9, 2010

I’m SOOOO a nature girl!!

And I LOVE your flowers- so beautiful!!

Page 1 of 212»