Are You A Nature Girl?

Good evening!

I’m not sure about you, but today has flown by for me. My in laws were here today and Eric was also working from home, so we had a full house! I still have a lot of work to get caught up on tonight. My MIL was off to Ireland this afternoon to meet her brothers for an Ireland-Spain road trip. I attempted to hide in her suitcase, but unfortunately she is an over-packer much like her daughter-in-law…

She was SO proud to show me one of her purchases for her trip from a store called Ricki’s

Rickis_general_apparel_9117ht9657_21080_02

She knows how much I love lace and detailed-backs on tops. We actually have a very similar style…we are always complimenting each other on each other’s clothing! One thing she got me hooked on are brightly coloured scarves…I never used to wear them and now I always do. They are a great way to accent clothing or spruce up an outfit.

For dinner, Eric and I threw together a huge salad. We realized that it is our CSA pick-up tonight (Week 2!) and we still have a lot of veggies to plough through! We managed to demolish about 75% of our produce in these salads. Not bad!

IMG_8922

This was one of the best salads…wait, I said that last time. :lol: They are ALL amazing, I will just leave it at that!

IMG_8926

In this huuuuge salad contained: 1.5 organic romaine hearts, 1 small avocado, 1 tomato, 1/2 cup leftover stir-fry veggies, 3/4 cup lentils mixed in pasta sauce (on bottom), 3-4 tbsp of my better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette (obsessed!!), sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG_8930 (3)

A little tidbit about Eric- he used to only eat Caesar salad when I first met him 10 years ago, but he has developed a love for all kinds of salads now. Sometimes we have to fight over the last of the lettuce!

For dessert, some dark chocolate

IMG_8984

I LOVE this chocolate!!! I may have snuck another square when I was putting it away… :whistle: Cannot stop eating it.

IMG_8822

Some backyard photography ensued..

IMG_8931

IMG_8936

Nature makes my heart go a flutter.

IMG_8938

Don’t these pictures just make you want to go camping??

IMG_8939

IMG_8941

Swoon.

IMG_8943

Health News Round Up

Spotted:

Tonight’s question- Are you a nature girl? Do you like to go camping? Any camping stories/tips to share?

I am a huge nature girl! I feel like I am in my element when I am in nature. That is why living in the big city for 2 years didn’t really mesh with my personality. Eric is the same way. I’m on the fence with camping…I have only been a couple times (we don’t own tents) so I don’t really know HOW to camp. I feel like I need a tutorial…I wouldn’t know what to bring or what food to pack. Might make for an interesting blog post though! :biggrin:

When my best friend and I were young (grades 7-9 mostly), we used to camp in my backyard. We would pack all kinds of food (enough for a week!), grab our flashlights, and then put a super-powerful trinket lock on the tent. One time we woke up to a crazy pheasant trying to get into our tent! That was the end of that!

We are off to pick up our CSA box!

Page 2 of 2«12
Kat June 10, 2010

I would demolish that salad in a second, it looks SO good!!

I love camping. I have always been a nature girl, yes. I used to backpack and camp far more often than I do now, but there is nothing quite like sleeping in a tent and waking up kind of cold, kind of uncomfortable, and unzipping the tent to the crisp air. If there is a campfire allowed, I will be in heaven!

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 10, 2010

I love that top, I’m not a big pink person but in purple, now that would rock!!! I have a black very similar and I too love lace, crocheted, knitted type tops. My black top is more of a open front type top where you can wear a shell, like a camisole underneath. I love it.

Your salad looked so lovely when I pulled this up this AM, that I had to go have lunch at Jason’s Deli with a girlfriend. Thanks!

OMG, I love camping, primitive at that, the hubby not so much. He’s retired Army and says civilians have no idea what real camping is….lol! I do love being out in nature, however, being one with nature in Texas, we have Texas sized mosquitos and all kinds of other critters and they are not fun to fight with….

Lauren June 10, 2010

Nature girl to the max!! ;)

My fondest memory is when my sister and I went trail running and half way through our run we stopped, sat on a log and meditated in silence. It was EPIC.

k8 June 10, 2010

I am camper extraordinaire! I have checklists for each kind of seasonal camping and all the gear to go along with it. I love, love, love camping. I even took a solo camping trip last fall and it was an amazing experience to be in that campground. All. By. Myself.

Amy June 10, 2010

I by a lot of my work clothes at Rickis, work appropriate yet trendy at the same time. I may have to search out that shirt, I LOVE that it!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 10, 2010

Hi Angela – I am always a bit shy about commenting, but I keep seeing the white bowl you use for salads, and I am finally breaking down and asking you where you found it. I am looking for a similarly sized white salad bowl to eat my huge salads out of (instead of eating 2-3 regular sized bowls). Basically I need a large white bowl that is not an enormous serving bowl. So would love to know where you found yours :) Thank you!

AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

Hey Valerie! Thanks for your comment :)
I *think* if I remember properly that the bowl is from IKEA!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 10, 2010

Thanks so much for the quick reply Angela :) Have a wonderful day!

Adrienne June 10, 2010

My husband is one of the most organized campers ever. He has a tupperware box that is the “camping box”, and we put everything we need inside it. Paper towels, garbage bags, cutlery, plates, old pots and pans, rope, knives. This way when you are looking for something, you always know where ti is.

Mikki June 10, 2010

I wasn’t always a nature gal. When I was younger my mom said my idea of roughing it was slow room service which is why no one believed I could hack it treeplanting…for 2 seasons nonetheless. Well I did! And the first season we slept in a tent (we bough a hippy van for season 2). Now that we have the kid I miss just being in a bush camp in the middle of nowhere and working outside, come rain, snow, hail or roasting hot sun. Our country is absolutely beautiful and even if I never plant again I am so grateful for being able to do it even for a little bit.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries June 10, 2010

I do love camping, but mostly because it gives me an opportunity to drink beer and eat s’mores. Don’t be ashamed of me!!!!!!!!

Jess June 10, 2010

Haha, your trinket lock for the tent reminds me of the “raccoon lock” my friends and I used for our tent (we camped a couple times/summer – Ontario Provincial parks are abundant and usually awesome). We used to bring lots of candy and chocolate into our tents at night. One night my sister woke us all up yelling that there was an animal on her. We told her to be quiet and go back to sleep, haha… the next morning there were muddy raccoon paw prints ALL OVER the inside and outside of our tent. He stole the chocolate right out from under my pillow!!! OMG! We invented the raccoon lock after that. And stopped bringing food into the tent at night. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 10, 2010

I never know what kind of bra to wear under a top like that :S

Emily June 10, 2010

I’m SUCH a nature girl :D We technically live in the city, but we’re super close to the river and the countryside (like less than 5 minutes walk) so I can just about cope. We have two camping trips lined up for the summer – we’re doing a week in Amsterdam (ok, technically we;re staying in Wagonettes which are really just glorified tents) and a second one somewhere in the lovely Yorkshire countryside! If I do get out into nature fairly frequently I start to feel like I’m going to explode. I’ve never understood how people can love living in big cities – there’s always so much noise and movement…. it makes me really anxious. Last year I lived in a basement by a main road and it drove me insane!

Kate June 10, 2010

I LOVE nature! We grew up going on yearly ski trips out west, as well as several 2-week long hiking trips in the Pacific Northwest hiking up Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake, etc… I love packing sandwiches, fruit, and bottled water and taking a break on a large rock by a stream for a quick bite. We went camping a few times, but it’s funny my DAD was the one who didn’t like it!!! My mom loves it! The only problem I have is if we would run into a snake. Thankfully that hasn’t happened… yet!!! ;) Here’s to hoping it never does!

Those pictures are beautiful!!!

MJ June 10, 2010

I am a nature girl too :o) We always went camping when I was growing up, and my boyfriend loves it as much as I do. We like to go camping at the dunes where we live. You can only get there by boat, so you need to make sure you have everything you need! We bring our son with us and he loves it too. We also like to ride in trails in the woods with our four wheeler and stop to set up the tent when we see a nice spot.

Marieke June 10, 2010

I am a nature girl! I love forests especially. Camping is cool too. Scotland is great for nature, but unfortunately the weather doesn’t always help! Nature, great. Pooring rain, not so much.

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 10, 2010

I love nature, too! It helps me clear my mind when I’m walking or hiking through the woods. It also reminds me that there is something greater than me ‘out there’ that created this beautiful Earth!
I haven’t camped much, but I did go on a 12-day backpacking trip in the Adirondacks as part of a requirement for the college I went to. We had to fast in solitude for two of those days! Sounds crazy, but it was a wonderful experience.

Helen June 10, 2010

I was brought up in the countryside so love nothing more than fresh air on my face and walking through beautiful places. However, I’m not a camper! I feel so grubby and am not food with sleeping / eating outside!! Your garden looks beautiful, you are so lucky to have those flowers in your back garden. It must be great to eat out there.

Jenn (GH) June 10, 2010

YES YES YES! I am a nature girl and feel most alive when I am outdoors. We camp (half-camp we have a pop up trailer) at least 4 times every summer. We always go out the Sequoias for about 5 days. It’s so beautiful and the smells….nothing like it. I bet it’s beautiful up where you live.

Nicole June 9, 2010

Last year me and my dad went on a backpacking trip in virginia for 4 days 3 nights, it was such a great experience, we went with the REI travel group..there were 3 other people and 2 guides.It was cool to have the two guides they told us so many of their camping stories and taught us so much, It was cool to kind of be away from everyone, no cellphones or anything and it was really relaxing, we learned how to set up camp, tents, cook, and lots more! I would definitely recommend an air mattress, we had sleeping cushions for our tents but you could still feel all the rocks and stuff underneath, wasn’t the most comfortable thing! I love being out doors and hiking!

Molly (Fuel Her Up) June 9, 2010

I’m a total nature girl- open water swimming, canoeing, camping, hiking, horseback riding, trail running, mountain biking – I love it all! I come from a reallllly outdoorsy family- they would add fishing and hunting to that list!

Dawn Linklater June 9, 2010

Hi Angela,

To answer your questions – I am a total nature girl. And, I would love camping – if it weren’t for bugs. And public bathrooms :(

Just wanted to let you know I signed for the GoodLife Half Marathon on October 17th – it will be my first one EVER. And the furthest I’ve ever run is 5k. Gulp!! But it happens to be 2 days before I turn 39, and I just decided it is my gift to myself. So, I will be starting my training very soon. I joined through Team Diabetes, so I’ll be raising $350.

Thank you so much for sharing your half marathon story, it helped me make my decision, and I’m looking forward to the challenge!

If you decide to enter as well, let me know and we can meet up!

Dawn :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 9, 2010

Although I’m a big fan of nature I have never had a good camping experience

1. Camping 7th grade, fell into the glacier-fed river in March. I had to hold onto a super slippery rock with algae until someone could pull me out. If I would have let go there was a very high chance that I would have died to to the rapids and rocks in the river.

2. I was a junior counselor at an adventure camp. We were playing a hide and go seek in the woods [along a river]. I was had a headlamp on, but it fell off when I slid down the side of a embankment. The river was so loud I couldn’t hear people call my name, and they couldn’t hear me. Eventually they found me and rescued me :)

3. We were swarmed by meat-eating bees. They wanted our hotdogs and any meat that we had. It was so disgusting.

Tay June 9, 2010

OMG looooooooove that shirt!!!

Amber K June 9, 2010

I absolutely hate the outdoors. Always being FORCED to be outside during the summers really turned me off to it. I hate camping, I hate dirt, I hate bugs, I hate when it is unbearably hot or cold. I become a bit of a whiner when I’m camping! lol

Rachel @ Balance and Blueberries June 9, 2010

I adore camping! One of the biggest expenses on any vacation is your lodging. You can almost cross it out when you camp. Also, it’s so good to take a break from 2010 and unplug from the real world for a couple of days. I just recently spent a week backpacking in the Smokies. It was such a great time. I love the cities, but the mountains are so peaceful. Definitely give camping a try! Borrow a tent and some sleeping bags, don’t feel bad about cheating and using lighter fluid for your campfire, pack some good, portable food, and go try it for a night or two!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 9, 2010

I’m kind of in the middle.. I like nature but I also like electricity and running water :)
So cool that your MIL is going to Ireland! I’m leaving to go there on Saturday!

Judy June 9, 2010

I love to be outside enjoying nature. I once camped (in tents) with the kids for two weeks and it was amazing. We had a bring-your-own-bed and it was just like sleeping in your bed at home. I especially love the water and snorkeling.

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 9, 2010

I am the same way, when it is time to pick up the produce box I rush to finish up last weeks. It is a good thing!

Those pictures make me want to go for a hike in the woods. I like nature, but I like to come home to my house at night.

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 9, 2010

I love to camp. Though I have only ever done car camping (i.e. provincial parks – and I’m not talking backwoods Algonquin pp). The kind of pp’s where your tent is 10 feet away from your car. Last year my hubby and I completely finished our basement from scratch so we didn’t camp a lot (sadness) and when we did it rained a lot, so right now whenever it’ raining I like to keep the windows open and listen to the rain, it sounds like camping. Always important to remember to pack a lighter to start the fire, wet wipes (great or keeping your hands clean w/o treking to the w/r all the time), a ball or frisbee to stay entertained when not hiking or swimming. I can’t wait to go camping this year!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 9, 2010

I am absolutely a nature girl!! I adore camping, and go every long weekend in the summer. We live in Saskatchewan, and we even go tent camping on May long weekend which always has BRUTAL weather … but we tough it out!