How To Stay Motivated

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 5, 2010

Good morning!

We ended up watching The Devil Wears Prada last night. It is one of my favourite movies. I think I have seen it over 10 times now!

Eric will vehemently deny this, but he loves the movie too. [You didn’t hear that from me, mmm kay?]

This morning I wanted a Green Monster and I wanted one badly. It had been over a week and a half since my last one (I know!!) and I needed some green in my life. I decided to make one, broken, leaky blender and all.

IMG_8609

It was a mess, but it was worth this little green drink of pure delight.

In the green drink of pure delight: 2 handfuls spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp cashew butter, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder, 1 ice cube.

Heaven. on. earth.

IMG_8617

I had it with a 1/4 cup homemade glo-nola (it is a Glo Bakery recipe that I am still playing around with, my apologies!)

And now for my second graph. For the first graph, see here. All future graphs and comics will be placed in a new category on the right called ‘Angie’s Funnies’.

Here is, How I picture my husband’s desire to attend another race as a spectator across time.

IMG_1347

He would like you to know that he had no involvement in this. :lol:

How do I stay motivated with workouts?

I am often asked how I stay motivated with running and other forms of exercise and one thing that has really helped me has been racing. Signing up for a race gives me a clear deadline and a goal of where I would like to be at a certain point in time. Racing gives me focus and new challenges. I used to absolutely dread my workouts in the past. I did the same exact workout every time. It was so boring! Once I discovered racing, I completely fell in love with exercise again and it gave me confidence to try new things.

Aside from our Try-a-tri tomorrow, what will my next race be?

I signed up for an early evening 5-miler run in Toronto called The Night Crawler on June 23rd. The course is in a great area of Toronto along Lakeshore.

course

I am especially excited to cross the bridge!!! This is the same bridge where Sarah had her Summer Glow Photoshoot!!

The great thing about it is that it is not far from Eric’s work, so he said he will just meet me at the race site. After the race we can grab a bite to eat in Toronto. I’m excited! :biggrin:

If anyone is running this race and wants to meet up beforehand, please give me a shout ([email protected]).

I have a couple long-term summer races that I am eying right now, but I haven’t made any plans yet. I have a few crazy ideas up my sleeve and I am really hoping one of them will work out.

We are off soon to do a bunch of last minute’s try-a-tri things as well as attempt an open-water swim! The weather looks like it may rain, so hopefully it holds off. :ninja:

Hope you have a fun day in store!

Camille June 5, 2010 at 9:18 am

I love The Devil Wears Prada!
Have you read the book? It’s even better than the movie! I think I have read the book about 6 or 7 times :)

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

No but I would LOVE to!!! thanks for the tip :)

adrienmelaine (confessionsofahealthnut) June 5, 2010 at 9:32 am

Good luck on your race tomorrow! I’m sure you will kill it!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks June 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

Wow, I just realized I haven’t had a green monster in about two weeks! The horror!!! Gonna go make one right now =)

Paige (Running Around Normal) June 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Bahaha – Jerry Springer @#[email protected]#[email protected]$
Good luck tomorrow!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 5, 2010 at 9:45 am

You’ll do great tomorrow!!!! Go you and Eric!

Amber K June 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

Glad you got your green monster on! I was SOOOO skeptical about those, but now I have one daily. I can’t imagine my life without it!

And again, I love, love, LOVE the graph! So much talent, so funny, ah perfection. =)

Kate June 5, 2010 at 9:54 am

I can’t believe you haven’t had a green monster in so long! Wow they are delicious. I just ran out of spinach so I am heading to the store to be able to have one today! Hehe :)

The graphs are hysterical…

Good luck tomorrow!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 5, 2010 at 10:07 am

“At least I’m sitting down and not running” I love these charts, Angela! :D

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 5, 2010 at 10:08 am

The Devil Wears Prada is one of my favorites! I heart Meryl Streep. Far and away my favorite actress!

I had a GM for breakfast too. They give the greatest burst of energy. Greens are mother nature’s best fuel!

Good luck with the race!

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:24 pm

She is my fav actress too!!!

Nikita June 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

I have recently started running, and I would really like to do races in the future to keep me setting goals. The problem is, I don’t want it to be too much, too soon. Do you have any recommendations for beginning runners as to when to take that step? Is there a mileage goal I should be able to do already or is it better to take the plunge?
Thanks and good luck on the race!

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I don’t think anyone can go wrong with a 5k. There are a lot fo couch to 5k plans on the web too! I also think it might be a good idea to go watch a race before you run your own. It would help with nerves. Goodluck!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

I hope the weather works out for you tomorrow!

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 5, 2010 at 10:15 am

Good luck with your race! I have to figure out how to get my husband to be a spectator at my races. It is great your husband has a desire to come watch!

Erin June 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

I love Devil Wears Prada, too. Such a cute movie that’s great to watch either with friends or solo.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

Devil Wears Prada book < movie! I really love the book!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 5, 2010 at 10:27 am

Best of luck, I know your ready and will do great.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

I totally agree with you about running. I love the challenge of it.

I found a bunch of green monster ingredients in my freezer and will be making one later. I’ve missed them :-)

Marina June 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

i’ll have my fingers crossed for you!
I love your poster, and the last one, they made me laugh a lot :))

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

Haha I love your comments. Good luck on the try-a-tri!

jassy June 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

creative graph!:)

i think i need to do graphs for my projects…funny graphs, too to beat stress:)

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

They are a great stress relief!

Wei-Wei June 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

You’re too funny Angela! I love all the graphs. It’s kind of like the Graphic Truth on College Humor (link if you want to check it out, it’s hilarious: http://www.collegehumor.com/articles/column/the-graphic-truth )

Gosh, good luck with the race! This is so exciting for me, too, because I’ve “accompanied’ you throughout your training! I’m sure all your readers can say the same :)

Wei-Wei

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:27 pm

haha I love the Skittles in the Candy Gram one!

marie June 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

I clicked through the links to the photoshoot and got to your engagement photos- OMG they are absolutely stunning!!!!

good luck with the race!

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

aww thanks!

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

I have never seen the Devil Wears Prada. Must add to movie viewing list!

Good luck tomorrow!

Kelsey June 5, 2010 at 11:19 am

Devil Wears Prada = awesome! Book and movie are both so engaging, and I agree with the other ladies, you should def check out the book. It’s so detailed and what a page turner!

Thanks for the motivation tips :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 5, 2010 at 11:33 am

haha your drawings and graphs are always entertaining.

I hope you can get your open water swim in!! That will help so much!

Leah June 5, 2010 at 11:46 am

Good luck to you guys at tomorrow’s race! Fingers crossed for no rain.

aneta June 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

good luck tomorrow! hopefully no rain!

i might be doing the Night Crawler race too. i found it the other day and it seems fantastic!

AngelaOSG June 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I think you should run it! Maybe we can meet up :)

Kristina June 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm

we watched Devil Wears Prada again just a couple days ago too! we own it, so I probably watch it too much. Jason admits to liking it :) The book is great too.

I am loving your charts! you are hilarious! The thoughts on the left side are making me laugh, “this is a 5K, did she get lost?” and the “free food!” tee hee you are fuuny :)

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear June 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I loved the book Devil Wears Prada :)

Helen June 5, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Good luck for tomorrow, I hope it goes well. I can imagine how excited you both are. I’m loving the latest chart. I want my boyfriend to come along to my first race and take pictures of me – I’m sure he’ll be of the opinion that he should get a medal for all the photos he takes!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love The Devil Wears Prada too! I adore Meryl Streep.

I’ve been thinking about signing up for the Night Crawler! I’ll let you know if I do. :)

Kim June 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

My husband will actually admit to loving Devil Wears Prada, too. One of my alltime favorites!

Good luck on your tri tomorrow!!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 5, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Races definitely keep me motivated. I am planning to do the Acura 10 Miler in July so it pushes me to get my butt out the door and run on my lazier days.

Good luck tomorrow!!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 5, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Love the bright green monster! I’ve never seen the Devil Wears Prada — does that go for handbags, too? LOL

Jenn

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 6, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I need me some green, too! I think that’s going to be the breakfast-o-champions tomorrow!!