CSA Delight

Hello there!

Our Plan B Organic CSA Share began last night! It was pretty much torture waiting all day long until our evening pick-up time…

IMG 8481 thumb   CSA Delight

This is the first time we have ever had a CSA share, so I was really excited to get started.

Here are the types of foods that are in season in June in this area. I bolded what we received.

June - Asparagus, Baby Salad Mix, Lettuce, Spinach (?), Green Onions, Radishes, Greenhouse Tomato & Cucumber, Strawberries, Swiss Chard, Kale, Broccoli, Shiitake Mushrooms, Beets, Sugar Snap Peas, new potatoes, Carrots + apples.

We have a half share which is enough for 1-2 people, however I could easily chomp my way through a full share I’m sure! :biggrin:

I love knowing that these foods come from local organic farmers working hard every single day to try and make a difference in the system. It feels good to support their efforts and get some fresh organic produce in the process.

IMG 8483 thumb   CSA Delight

I’m not sure what the greens are on the left…spinach??

I handled this food ever so carefully when I put it away.

I stare at it in awe, I appreciate it, and I try and think about how I will use it.

IMG 8489 thumb   CSA Delight

Any ideas? :biggrin: Maybe we can make this a weekly challenge- ‘Help Ange build a recipe from her CSA produce!’

I was really hoping I was going to find some kale in the bag because our local grocery stores don’t carry organic kale. Maybe next week though.

IMG 8491 thumb   CSA Delight

These are the cutest little apples I have ever seen….bumps and marks and lots of character!

IMG 8496 thumb   CSA Delight

After caressing my produce, I made breakfast!

IMG 8361 thumb   CSA Delight

I had some Vegan Overnight Oats ‘marinating’ in the fridge (it was a triple batch) so I just scooped out a serving, mashed a big banana into the bowl (with a fork), and topped it with shredded coconut and my coconut oil + maple syrup dressing (1/2 tbsp coconut oil + 1/2 tbsp maple syrup).

IMG 8358 thumb   CSA Delight

I used to look at overnight oats and CRINGE at the thought. Now I am completely in love. Funny how things turn out. If I had a dime for every email that I got from new Green Monster lovers that said ‘I thought those green drinks looked SO gross…and then I tried one and fell in love. Now I drink one every morning!’

IMG 8365 thumb   CSA Delight

I must admit I am missing my Green Monsters! As you may know my Kitchen Aid blender is broken once again. I am trying to decide if I am going to go BIG with a Vitamix or a Blendtec OR if I am going to try a mid-range brand that I have heard good things about (Oster, Hamilton Beach, or  Breville). Decisions, decisions!

This morning I worked on shipments, ordering stock, and baking. Before I knew it, I was hungry for lunch!

IMG 84132 thumb   CSA Delight

I had an Ezekiel wrap filled with about 1 cup of Navy Beans, pasta sauce, mixed veggies, dried parsley, and ground pepper and sea salt.

IMG 84082 thumb   CSA Delight

Mmmmmm.

IMG 84102 thumb   CSA Delight

I also had a juicy apple.

IMG 4943 thumb   CSA Delight

Afternoon snack will be this guy…

IMG 4964 thumb   CSA Delight

Have you ever supported local farmers either through a CSA or by going to a Farmer’s Market? Do you find that your city or town has a lot of access to local and/or organic products? Why or why not?

Have a Terrific Thursday!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2010

Yum!! I love fresh veggies!! The greens on the left look as though they are swiss chard because of the red stems. I’ve never seen spinach with red stems before.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2010

Yummm your wrap looks good! I love how locally grown apples taste so much better than the kind you get in the grocery store – funny because they’re still apples, but I just find that the ones from local markets taste so different! I’ve never done a CSA but I do try to buy local produce when I can. I have to confess, the price of organic scares me sometimes and makes me wonder it it’s worth it, but for now my argument is that I’m still a student haha! Ideally, I’d buy only organic…. one day…..

JavaChick June 3, 2010

I also vote for beet greens, though it’s hard to tell for sure from the picture.

Would the apples be from last fall? I didn’t think apples were harvested in the spring at all. Not that it matters, I’m sure they’ll taste good either way!

Kristina June 3, 2010

I love how excited you get about your veggies! (probably the way I am about shoes. or baking supplies. or skincare.) :) those all look beautiful, it makes me want a big lettuce + cucumber + tomato salad.

we are lucky to have some pretty big and really awesome farmers markets here, with beautiful and tasty veggies… actually all kinds of amazing foods. and its fun to go and talk to the farmers, the cooks, the butchers that are there with their “crafts”. it’s exciting. :)

enjoy your new veg, Angela!! :)

Paige (Running Around Normal) June 3, 2010

I would love to do a CSA! Wasn’t that a bday gift from Eric? The produce looks beautiful!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 3, 2010

There is a lady in town that just started doing this… maybe I’ll have to look more into it!

As for the vitamix, I got mine for 558.00 including everything, from Ontario… here’s the link. It’s a reconditioned white one, but it has a full 7 year warranty! http://www.upayanaturals.com/SPECIAL_Vita_Mix_5200_Reconditioned_Limited_Quant_p/vit-5200-r.htm

Good luck!!

Maya June 3, 2010

I think you should go big with the blender! You would CERTAINLY get your use out of it! I think for important matters like that, something that you’re clearly going to use every day, it’s important to get yourself something of quality that will last for years and years. A lot of money spent once is better than some money spent every year or couple of years, as I imagine would be the case with the mid range blenders you’re looking at, considering you’re green monster habit!

Jill June 3, 2010

CSA day is so exciting!! We just joined a CSA for the first time this year and I LOVE not knowing what is going to arrive in our box. Even after it arrives, I often don’t know what’s in there – so many new veggies to try. We’ve gotten two boxes so far, and the most unique veggie was Stinging Nettles. I had no idea they were such a superfood! (Oh, and they no longer sting after you blanch them.) I hope you enjoy your CSA adventure as much as we are! :)

Jessica @ Jessica Balances June 3, 2010

Oooh your produce looks so tasty! And the wrap looks deliciously messy. The best!

Jessica June 3, 2010

I recently saw this on the consumerist : http://consumerist.com/2010/05/need-a-blender-here-are-the-ones-consumer-reports-likes.html

So it’s perfect. I’m in need of a blender as well.

Jessica

Molly June 3, 2010

They just reviewed blenders on The Kitchn today – must have read your mind!

Sara C. June 3, 2010

My Co-Op changed my life!!! I am a horrible grocery shopper and meal planner so its fun to get fruits and veggies and think of ways I can use them for the week! (plus the wine and beer in my fridge are glad to have healthy company) I gain a lot of inspiration from your eats! Can’t wait to see what you create!

Fueling for Fitness June 3, 2010

I reeeally wanted to join a CSA this summer and looked extensively for something that was convenient for me to pick up (I don’t have a car or a metropass and I don’t work well with specific pick up times because of the time demands on my job). haha… I really wish I had been able to work something out though! All of your veggies look delicious – I could totally eat all of that on my own. :D

-Alison

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 3, 2010

I’ve never done a CSA, but I’d love to join one that lets you somewhat pick from a list. I hate all onions (shallots, chives, etc) so I’d like to pick veggies I like instead of getting stuck with those. I’d love real apples though. There is no such thing as a better apple then one from the orchard. It’s the best part about fall, and I wish I could eat them throughout the year.

Laura June 3, 2010

I think those mystery greens might be beet greens. The resemble chard much like a bet green!

Enjoy all those yummy foods.

Kris June 3, 2010

OMG…I am SO jealous!!! That looks amazing! :)

Kirsten June 3, 2010

Thanks so much for sharing what you got in your CSA. My first pick up of my share is next Tuesday and like you I’m so excited to find out what I got/what yummy goodness I’ll be making!

Twisted Chicken June 3, 2010

I don’t know what CSA is but I love going to my local Farmer’s Markets. The produce always tastes so amazingly wonderful and I love knowing that it is local, fresh and touched by human hands. I worked in trucking for a lot of years so I got to know a bit about how produce was treated and hauled across the US. Fresh, local produce is ALWAYS the better choice.

Laura @ youngDCliving June 3, 2010

Those are definitely swiss chard! I love it, it’s really great sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic, or just steamed. I love the idea of CSA’s–such a great thing to be a part of!

Amber K June 3, 2010

I’ve thought about doing it, but I don’t like that you just get what you get. I like to plan my meals and then shop, not get a random bunch of stuff that I have to eat. Nothing makes me want to rebel more! =P

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 3, 2010

There are lots of farmer’s markets in my area (Seacoast of NH) in the summer. During the rest of the year, the pickings are slim for local and organic food, unless you want to pay a boatload at the grocery store, where the freshness isn’t dependable and neither is the selection. I really want to do a CSA at some point- very cool that you are doing one!

Little Aspects June 3, 2010

Yum, looks great. We get a veggie box delivered as well (except we get the 3-4 person one plus a fruit top-up between the two of us!! We get through a LOT of veggies in a week!).

With the asparagus, I would make a simple pasta dish – cook the pasta until al dente, meanwhile, saute the asparagus in some extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice (enough so that the olive oil and lemon juice can coat the pasta) and a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes if you like, toss through the pasta, add plenty of cracked pepper, a touch of sea salt and serve topped with your local herb of choice (I like to use continental parsley, dill or chives). This will let the asparagus flavour shine (make sure you don’t overcook the asparagus!)

With the swiss chard, tomatoes and mushrooms – I would stuff the tomatoes with a mushroom and rice mixture and seve atop a bed of wilted swiss chard. Cook the rice and let it cool. Scoop out the inside flesh of the tomatoes. If you have onions, saute some in a pan in some EVOO. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing then add the middle parts of the tomato to the mushrooms and cook down a bit. Add the rice to the mushroom and tomato mixture, stir through, add a decent amount of cracked pepper, some sea salt, a handful of chopped herbs (parsley or basil would work well) and some toasted nuts (chopped cashews, almonds, pinenuts, whatever you have – it adds some texture and crunch). Pop the rice mixture inside the hollowed out tomatoes, top with some breadcrumbs and put them into the oven for 20mins or so (until the tomato has cooked). When the tomatoes are done, steam or saute in a little olive oil, cracked pepper and seasalt the red chard, put it in the middle of a plate, place the tomato on top, sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve!

Little Aspects June 3, 2010

oh, and with the pasta dish, top with toasted slivered almonds. It makes all the difference! :)

Ali June 3, 2010

looks like swiss chard, or beet tops (maybe too early for beet tops?) to me!! Lucky you!

Kristy June 3, 2010

How Awesome! I would love to be take part in something like CSA! Another reason Canada gets a gold start, too bad I’m in Florida…

Amanda June 3, 2010

The greens are def swiss chard. If you decide to eat them cooked, be sure to cook the stalks first and add the leafy part at the very end for best flavor! Have fun!

Nichole June 3, 2010

Greens on the left look like chard to me. I used to belong to a CSA here, but they only have one size shares and at first it was good, but then it was just too much food for only two of us. One day I’ll sign up again though, because I loved it! I used to belong to Two Small Farms: http://www.twosmallfarms.com/

I still subscribe to their newsletter because they send out recipes, many are not veg/an though, but it helps for ideas of how to use what’s in season. They also have lots of recipes on their website.

Enjoy!

Aoife - Adventures in Veg June 3, 2010

Yay for your CSA delivery!! I do something similar here and I got a pretty similar delivery this week :)
It looks like you got red chard – wait till you get rainbow chard, it’s SO pretty!! I love chopping up the organic apples and adding them porridge (oatmeal) and cinnamon…soooo good!
PS I put up the blog post about the article I did on your Green Monsters :) http://myadventuresinveg.blogspot.com/2010/06/adventures-in-food-green-monster.html
Aoife x

Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 3, 2010

i LOVe the idea of CSA!! i always go to the local farmers market in my area which is amazing!! i cant wait for summer just for the farmers market!

that bean wrap looks delicious

charline June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like Beet Greens… YUM!

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 3, 2010

I’ve never used a CSA (if it’s what I’m thinking…a co-op type thing…right?) We do have several local farmers mkts with organic produce that I absolutely love. A friend of mine, recently turned me onto I’m thinking something like this CSA you all speak of here in Dallas, Tx. It’s called Urban Markets, where you sign up for the co-op and every 2 weeks you go to the meeting place where the produce will be handed out. You pay like $30 USD and receive a box filled with several types of produce and a mystery veggie or fruit. I think it’s really a great idea and like you, I like the fact that we are supporting our local farmers. I am signing up for it this weekend. I’m really excited about it.

Mikki June 3, 2010

YUMMMMM! I believe your greens on the left are chard or swiss chard. Enjoy all that goodness. I made chocolate banana soft serve for the babe’s lunch dessert and she loved it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 3, 2010

Love the CCA idea! We have a similar service in Australia – and once we have moved into our house I hope to sign up! Plus we hope to try and grow our own veggies too !!!

Ali @ Redhead Reports June 3, 2010

YAY for fresh produce from the farmer’s market! Enjoy it :)

Carmen June 3, 2010

My mom has had her vita-mix for years and loves it. But, when I was looking at getting a blender I just didn’t know if I wanted to pay that kind of price. I spent a lot of time researching blenders and decided to get a Breville. I love, love, love it! I got it last November and it gets used every day (sometimes more than one time each day).

Erin June 3, 2010

What wonderful produce, Angela! There is a big local food movement where I live in central North Carolina, so I’m blessed to be able to visit multiple farmers’ markets if I choose. My husband and I also keep a garden (and chickens), so we are also able to produce some of our own food as well. Very fun and rewarding!

As for your blender dilemma…I was considering a Blendtec about a month ago when our cheapy blender finally kicked it. However, I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the $300 it would cost to go with a top-of-the-line model and broke down and went to Walmart instead. Good fortune smiled upon me, because I happened to find a 600-watt, 12-speed digital GE blender for just $35. It has a nice, heavy duty glass pitcher and is easy to disassemble/reassemble. I’ve been using it now for my green monsters and I must say, that was $35 well spent. It pulverizes ice like nobody’s business and is even smart enough to slow down when it senses there is little left to blended (and conversely, speeds up when it “feels” any remaining uncrushed ice.) I’ll see how long it lasts, but the constructions seems good and if nothing else, I’m very pleased to have found that wattage of blender for such a good price. (To compare, I was also looking at 300-400 watt blenders that day I was shopping that ran $60-70.)

Good luck on your blender search and enjoy your bounty of produce! :)

mary June 3, 2010

I accidentally posted on your about page my comment about your green goods! whoops!

anyway, they look delish and I hope you enjoy them! :)

PhysiqueSpeak June 3, 2010

I just moved and there is a little locally grown produce stand called the Garden Patch right down the street from me. I love walking down there and being able to pick my veggies for dinner while talking to the man that actually grew them

Sarah June 3, 2010

We bought our first CSA shares this year, too! Last week was our first week, and we are loving it so far:-). Everything is organic, which I like. I have also found that one of our farmers market has a great organic and local stand, as well as a “sister” organic cafe. Ooh, I’m in love:-).

Allison @ Food For Healing June 3, 2010

thats so exciting! I love the farmers market, I will be going often this summer thats forsure.

Shauna June 3, 2010

The greens on the left are beet greens. I live in Ontario and my boyfriend has a market garden. It is just a bit early for chard. They look a lot like chard but they are actually beet greens. Delicious in salads, sauteed with other veggies, on pizza – basically anything you would do with spinach I would do with beet greens.

Delicious! My CSA share from Whole Circle Farms starts next week!

Page 2 of 3«123»