From Heat Wave To Snow Storm, This Is Canada

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 28, 2010

This was going to be a 1,000 words post but I wanted to chit-chat instead! :biggrin:

x2_1734e69

This is a shot from Alberta today…can you believe it?

I can!

Last June when I went to AB it snowed on JUNE 6th (my sister’s birthday of all days too!).

Thank you for your great suggestions on this morning’s wedding before race post! I will be telling you what my game plan is tomorrow! You gave me so many great ideas. I feel really good about it now.

I am getting caught up slowly but surely today. I feel so much better than I did yesterday and not as overwhelmed. I am getting caught up on orders, business calls, interviewing (1 more to go this afternoon), and some Farmer’s Market tasks today. I almost have a clear inbox which has not happened in over a month. There is no better feeling!

Lunch was awesome today too. Since we have had our heat wave all I want are salads, juices, fruits, and other light foods! The heat really impacts the way I eat. I have no desire for anything hot.

IMG_7866

Mammoth salad contained: 1 cup chickpeas, salsa, 1 chopped tomato, 2 organic romaine hearts, 1/2 cucumber, sea salt and black pepper, and my better than balsamic salad dressing.

Perfecto!

IMG_7870

Along with a juicy grapefruit…

IMG_7827

Afternoon snack will be a High Protein Renew Glo Bar:

IMG_7962

The video finally uploaded after a week!

[PS- Gena’s name is pronounced ‘JENNA’ and not ‘GEE-NA’ like I said. So sorry Gena!]

Happy Memorial Long Weekend to my American readers! Be safe and have fun.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER KERRIE!!! xo

Sarah for Real May 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Canada has some crazy-cool weather! I just went skiing up in Banff, AB two weeks ago and everyone back home in Spokane TOTALLY didn’t get it. Hahah, I’m a big Canada fan!

Lauren M. May 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Love the video! Thanks!

Allie May 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I saw the title of this post and said to myself “she has to be talking about alberta* – lol. Hahah, so true. We got some snow in Calgary last night but its mostly melted now – I suspect that picture is from Edmonton or somewhere even further North. This country = crazzzy weather!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

ohmigosh i can’t wait to get home so i can watch your video!!! and your salad sounds absolutely lovely :)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini May 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

June 6th is my birthday also and I have known it snow in the Uk on my birthday too!

JOanna May 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hello- about your wedding-run combination … I found myself in the same situation last year, with a friend’s wedding the night before a 10K race. Despite my best intentions, I ended up taking full advantage of the free cocktails all evening, and dancing away much later than expected in my heels. I then fell into bed at 2 am, fearing the worst. Well you know what, the adrenaline just takes over! Sure I was dehydrated, sure my head hurt, but I ran my best time out of sheer determination (and working up a sweat is a GREAT hangover cure). I say, enjoy the free bar (with some restraint, naturally) and wear those killer sexy heels, and let your strong, powerful body pay you back the favours you’ve been doing for it all this time! You can catch up on sleep and liquids later…..

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I love it! After reading everyone’s comments this morning, I definitely feel like I can splurge a little and still have a great race. I am sure I will find a nice balance! :)

Heather May 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

When I lived in Colorado in 2001 it snowed like that on JUNE 16th!!! By the end of the day it was 70 degreesvand it looked like nothing happened :)
Weather can be crazy funny!

Gena May 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Oh my god, you are so totally sweet and adorable. NO WORRIES! It’s an easy mistake to make. Awesome video, Ange!

My bday is June 7th. Let’s pray for no snow in Manhattan!

xoxo

lauren M. May 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I can hear the Canadian in you when you say “oats” and “about!” Hahahah! Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm

omg OATS now too!?!?!? ;p

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love your videos and your little bit of an accent. :)

Kara @ MyWellnest May 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Great video! Thanks!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker May 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Great video, Angela! I was doing vlogs for a while, but you’ve inspired me to stop being lazy and start them again. I like how you can better connect with the writer of the site. And those oats look GREAT!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans May 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Love your video. I love the side note of forgetting to add the vanilla. Great video. The clips of your previous BSSVOO.

ps evnious of the larege size of your kitchen.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm

hehe the vanilla really makes it come alive (and the smell rocks too!)

Marina May 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Oh wow, snow?
That’s awful :D
As much as I love it in the winter, I had enough of cold weather.
Thanks for the video!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I always thought it was “gee-na” too!
Cute video. I did try the overnight oats, but the texture was too…bla for me. will try again someday!

Bridget May 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Lol I thought gee-na as well!

kacy May 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I can’t even fathom snow right now. I would cry.

Sara May 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Beautiful Canada snow!! Send some to California!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I can’t believe the snow! I thought I had it rough in Seattle with it still being cold. Thanks for putting it in perspective!

Bridget May 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Ohh Canadaaaa! Crazy weather we got in this country hahaha but I love it. I live in Victoria BC and the weather this week has been grey and rainy :( At least it’s not snow!

Loved the video Ange. Your so cute! I could see you having a cooking show or something :)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm

You’re so cute, Angela! Great video.

Erin May 28, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I heard they have snow in Northern California right now, too. Absolutely crazy! It’s gorgeous here to today. Overcast and humid but really comfortable temperature-wise.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 28, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Haha Canadian weather is crazy! I’m so glad I’m in the heat wave right now and not in that snow storm. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm

me 22222222222

Tina May 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I loved seeing the video! You are so personable. I loved all the notes you made in the video. The “tripod fail” one made me laugh.

Caroline May 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

You are so adorable! I love videos in posts! Thanks for making one!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Love your video! :)
And I’m also diggin’ that big salad today…YUMM!

Brianne May 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yeah… guess what I’m eating tonight- Soup! I live in Calgary, AB.. haha!

Jenny May 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Where in Alberta was that picture taken?!?

She-Fit May 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

What is the nutritional content of the Glo-Bars? I was trying to find them on the website, but I couldn’t find it. I don’t think I was looking in the right place.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Here ya go! http://www.globakery.com/images/RENEW.jpg

The nutr. info is linked on each bar’s page. It is a bit hard to see though as it is just a link.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

In the high protein there is 11 grams of protein btw.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Thanks ladies! I always feel like a huge dork when posting videos haha

Kate May 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Oh man, I’m so warm today I’m almost wishing I was in Alberta! lol

Lisa May 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Okay I don’t feel so bad then…I’ve been complaining about the never-ending RAIN here in Oregon but at least it’s not SNOWING here!!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I can’t believe you have snow. I think I wouldn’t have left that house if it did that here in NY. I love the video and all the still shots you included too! Thanks for sharing that :)

Kellie May 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I feel bad complaining about California weather. It has been low 60’s here and we all are complaining because it is cold. I have nothing to complain about after seeing that picture.

Allison @ Food For Healing May 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

my birthday is June 9th, and it isn’t rare to sometimes get snow in Sask. but i almost ALWAYS have rain on my birthday however. Boo-

Your video is so cute! thanks!

What kind of oats do you use tho? are they “quick oats” can you use them or does it make a difference?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Regular oats :) Bobs red mill

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

That video is too cute! And that recipe is super simple and awesome! I need to get my hands on some chia seeds.

Ilana May 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

WHAAATTT!!! That snow!!

Also that is my FAVORITE salad combo, salsa+chick peas on greens. So. Good. So filling and refreshing at the same time! And grapefruit! Yum! Can I come for lunch :)

Ser May 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for the post! I was wondering do you peel your banana before putting it in the freezer? When I’ve tried freezing bananas with the peel on they just get stuck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Yes I peel them…at first I didnt but I learned that lesson fast! haha

lin May 28, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’ve been wanting to make overnight oats for the past few days but I keep forgetting to make them the night before :-P. Anyways, love your videos!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I would cry if I saw snow here. Love the video!

Lisa @ leeses peeces May 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

i had some leftover chickpeas and made some hummus. so good. in anything!

Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm

OMG! LOVE the video…..can definitely hear your wonderful Canadian accent when you say “out.” Thanks for sharing, you are making me want some of them right NOW! Even though it’s almost dinner time……hmmmm.
I love your blog and your recipes!

Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I totally don’t hear an accent! Maybe it’s because I am Canadian as well (Truro, Nova Scotia eh). I never get it when people say we have an accent. *Shrug*
Loved the video! I am going to have to search out those Cacao Nibs as I would love to make this for my kids and myself. :)

Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Hey Angela – I’ve tried this recipe once and it worked quite well (although my protein powder made it a bit too sweet for me). I was wondering if I could use another type of cereal, like Red River or even oat bran? Oatmeal and I have a troubled past (an oatmeal overload combined with an unpleasant experience = psychological issues with oatmeal!) , and I still find I don’t enjoy it all that much….But I loooovvve oatbran :)

Jennifer

Cindy May 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Alberta does have crazy weather! My parents were born and raised in Illinois and are living in Alberta now (short-term). The weather is quite a shock to them after the heat/humidity of Illinois! My sisters are there now for a visit, but the weather has been nice. I love your huge salad! I make them that big too and everyone thinks I am crazy!

Jin May 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Oat bran would technically work, but I’ve read that they tend to get a bit mushy and watery. Regular rolled oats stay nice and chewy!

Betsy May 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the video.(you’re so cute Angela) :) I have no reason not to make this now. Thanks for taking the time for making the video for all of us. Cheers :)

Camille May 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm

That’s crazy!
In Southern California, people lose their minds when it sprinkles in May like it did last night. :)

Nomi O May 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm

The weather in Alberta’s insane!!! 4 days ago in Calgary it was 25c, such great biking weather, and yesterday I was walking home in a snow storm. faaantastic! haha

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

That photo is EXACTLY why I’m so glad I don’t live in Edmonton any more!! Southern Ontario is far more conducive to my hot weather preference (in the summer time anyway!) Great video on the oats. I’m thinking that would make an awesome breakfast soon :)

Amber K May 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I just tried a packet of the Amazing Meal. I still had to add my usual protein powder and cocoa though. the AM didn’t have enough protein for me and the chocolate taste just wasn’t…chocolately enough! I love the great nutrients it has, but it is way too expensive for me, especially if I still have to buy everything else too!

Great video, the VOO with BSS is so pretty!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) May 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Aww, you’ll rock out at your marathon no matter what!

Haha, here in Houston it’s easily hitting the 90’s. Nothing like a Houston summer to fuel a diet of fruit and frozen yogurt.

Mary May 29, 2010 at 12:51 am

Great video!
Your blog is very inspiring! I recently bought chia seeds and the Amazing Grass powder. I make a GM smoothie every morning! YUM!

Evie Chan May 29, 2010 at 1:04 am

Crazy weather! A few weeks ago, it was a bright and sunny day in BC – and then it hailed. LOL

Tinka May 29, 2010 at 1:22 am

Angela you have me obsessed with BSSVOO!!
They are soo good. Western Australia is actually out of chai seeds at the moment (!) but I just substituted them for some wheatgerm and crank out the oats every morning.
Great video too :)

Ricki May 29, 2010 at 7:25 am

Yep, gotta love Canadian weather. And great video (I’m hungry now). Accent? What accent?? ;)

Meg May 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

I realllllllllllllly hope it doesnt snow this year on june 6th haha.

great video!
have a nice weekend…it’s supposed to be great weather!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear May 29, 2010 at 8:12 am

So there ARE places in the world who have worse weather than we here in Finland?! :D

Sara May 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

Andrea! You are so fun.
I have a quick question-
Can you make the banana soft serve in a blender? I’m pretty sure I tried to a while ago with a small banana and it didn’t come out so well. I really want to make this!!
-Sara

Jen @ Happy Heart, Happy Mind May 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Great video! I love your kitchen!!!

Sydney May 29, 2010 at 10:07 am

hey angela i just wanted to say that your a genius! i just had some banana soft serve vegan over night oats and it was AWESOME! i absolutely loved it! next time i’m going to use frozen berries as the soft serve for summer time!

Jen S May 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi Angela,

Do you have a juicer? Or do you usually make your drinks in your KA that has seen it’s better days? I still want a vitamix!