Phat Fats

Good afternoon!

Thanks for all your comments about Shop 4 A Cause 2! It is so nice to have such amazing support. This morning I baked my little heart out trying to get caught up on orders. I feel a bit frantic today with everything I need to get done. Yesterday put me out of a day’s work so I am playing the catch up game. I just need to take a deep breath and do one thing at a time. I have a tendency to overwhelm myself when I think of everything at once! It is in my personality to stress when I feel out of control, but I am trying to re-frame my approach and be calm and centered. Om.

I took Tuesday and Wednesday off exercise, so today I decided to squeeze in a much needed endorphin rush in the form of a short outdoor run. I filled up my Camelbak and prepared for the HEAT! I don’t know if I have said this, but I LOVE, love, love my Camelbak (1.5 litre). I don’t know how I survived the past 2 summers of running without water! I was always very hesitant to purchase one because I heard that they jiggled around a lot, but I don’t find that is the case. The only thing I had to get used to was the extra weight on my back.

IMG_1196b

I am still debating whether I will wear the Camelbak for my half marathon this Sunday. The weather is supposed to be very hot and sunny so I am thinking of taking it and filling it with energy juice. In my last two half marathons, I found that the water stations were not as frequent as I wanted them to be. In Sunday’s race I will have to claim that I ‘ran out of water’ so I can make a pit stop at the firefighter’s water station. :kissing: Did I mention this race is all women and has chocolate and firefighters at water stations? Umm yea. Don’t be surprised if my finishing time is 6 hours…

Today’s run (the last run before the half marathon this Sunday!)

• Distance: 3.23 miles
  • Time: 29:07 mins
  • Pace: 9:01 min/mile
  • Ascent: 389 feet

I came home hungry for lunch!

For some reason I was craving zucchinis…

IMG_7874

Into the frying pan they went along with 1/2 tbsp EVOO, sea salt, and ground black pepper!

IMG_7878

Confession: Back in my eating disorder days, I would NEVER use oil in any of my cooking. I was so scared of oil…no terrified of it. My fat and caloric intake were dangerously low for a long time.

When I started the recovery process, I tried to get over this fear and I started using healthy fats in small quantities. Little by little I grew to love healthy fats from chia seeds, nuts, and oils. I also started calling fat PHAT to make it more endearing and less scary. :tongue:

I must say that a bit of olive oil added to a dish makes the food taste SO much better. A little fat also helps with the absorption of many vitamins too! It’s a win, win. It just took me 20 some odd years to catch on…Better late than never, right?

IMG_7895

After about 5-10 minutes of frying, I covered the zucchini in about 3/4 cup of President’s Choice Organic Pasta Sauce and seasoned more. Sooooooo good.

IMG_7883

I had it with a huge white roll with Earth Balance.

IMG_7888

I never thought I would say this, but I MUCH prefer whole grain bread to white bread. White bread just seems so flavourless compared to bread with whole grains, seeds, etc. It also lacks texture and crunch in a huge way!

IMG_7889 (2)

It was still good, don’t get me wrong! :biggrin:

IMG_7891

Dessert was an organic Gala apple with cashew nut butter. Mmmmm.

IMG_7789

Cashew butter rules.

IMG_7788

I’m off to try to get caught up. I might not have time tonight for a post, but I will try my best. If not, I will see you in the morning. I also tried uploading my video and it got to 95% and then had an error. I think it is too long still so I need to cut it down more…haha.  Enjoy your Thursday (can’t believe it is already Thursday!).

1 Jessica @ How Sweet May 27, 2010

I love fats. I think healthy fats are so tasty. I have to say that avocado is my fave!

2 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 27, 2010

I used to avoid fats, too. But I think fat-free cooking doesn’t leave me satisfied. A little fat isn’t going to kill you or make you fat or jack up your cholesterol. In moderation, it’s actually part of a balanced diet!

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 27, 2010

a little fat makes everything better…it’s good for so many things, but i find that a little goes a long way in creating MENTAL satiety as well since it adds such great dimension of flavor too! i think i need to try cashew butter soon…it sounds amazing!

4 Ashley May 27, 2010

I wish they called the good fats something else…it can really mess with your brain! I love the healthy fats too and have really enjoyed incorporating coconut into my diet the past year. I never used to like avocados either but love them. I love zucc but I think I burnt Chris out on it…we ate it quite a lot last summer! hehehe

5 steff (steffsays) May 27, 2010

hurray for healthy fats! they are such an integral part of the human diet…avoiding them is just unnatural! :) i’ve never tried cashew butter…but i love cashews and i love nut butters, so i’m thinking i should go out and find some!

6 Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 27, 2010

This week sounds like it’s been very hectic for you! I don’t know how you keep going. It must be all that good food! ;-)

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 27, 2010

You’re missing out on all the zucchini skin goodness :(

8 Sarah for Real May 27, 2010

I was just going to mention that too. Why do you skin your zucchini? I think mine would completely fall apart if it weren’t for the skin, but maybe I like it over-cooked :)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

No reason…sometimes I do sometimes I don’t depending on my mood. :)

10 Logan May 28, 2010

I’m glad someone asked about that because I was wondering the same thing! I’ve never peeled a zucchini before. Looks just like cucumber without the peel!

11 Aneta May 27, 2010

fire fighters and chocolate!! now thats my kind of race!

ya u would for sure bring the camelback! its gonna be a hot one on sunday! good luck, angela! u will rock it!

12 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) May 27, 2010

I think fats are my favorite macronutrient! I eat so much peanut butter, almond butter, and sunflower seed butter, couldn’t live without it :-)

13 megan May 27, 2010

have you seen any of the news recently about studies that are starting to show that saturated fat isn’t actually linked to heart disease and may be good for you? it was really interesting to me…some experts are starting to say that fat found in meat, butter, etc. is actually good for you as well. of course, you wouldn’t eat those anyway, but I’m interested to hear if you have any thoughts on that or have heard anything similar.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

I haven’t seen any studies myself, but I do remember in my nutrition courses they told us that sat fat was WAY over blown and it is mainly trans fat to be worried about.

15 Danielle (Runs on Green) May 27, 2010

I def. went through a “fat free phase” too. My skin was bad and I was cranky :( Life is definitely better (and I’m a lot healthier) with FAT err phat ;)

And I agree on grainy vs. white bread. I don’t get it! It’s like people are afraid of flavors…

16 Jenny May 27, 2010

Healthy fats really add good flavor, and taste so good! I’m glad they’re in my life:)

17 zenlizzie May 27, 2010

I love the combination of zucchini + tomatoes + italian herbs! I know people would look at me funny if i used a camelbak for my runs since they are only a few miles now, but I’m slow and I get thirsty! lol. Do they make a mini-camelbak for fun runners?

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

I’m not sure if they have one smaller than mine 1.5 litre…mine is quite small in my opinion. Its worth checking I guess!

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 27, 2010

Gosh I love zuchinni… I’m loving it roasted right now!

20 Therese May 27, 2010

I’m the same in that I get super stressed when I’m feeling overwhelmed. I’ve learned to just write down what I need to do and start checking it off, one at a time. It helps (for the most part) but I’ve still got some learnin’ to do!

I was also terrified to use oil until only this past year and you’re right, it DOES make things taste so much better! When I first started losing weight and started tracking my food I realized that I had between 0-10g per day of fat in my diet! Once I upped that I started losing weight! Go figure!

21 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 27, 2010

It took me a while to not be afraid of fat too. I grew up during the “fat is horrible for you” era of the 80s and 90s, when Snackwell’s cookies were king, so it took a while to reverse that mindset for me. But now I embrace healthy fats!! Had a big scoop of avocado on my salad, along with nuts for lunch today! :-)

22 Olivia @ Blissful Runner May 27, 2010

I took my Camelbak on my half marathon last Sunday. I went back and forth about it for a long time but I am so glad I went with it. I’ve actually used it on all three halfs that I’ve run. It’s nice to be able to drink when I need to and not have to worry about the crowds at the slow downs at the water stations or choking – I’ll admit, I haven’t mastered drinking out of a cup while running!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

IM SOLD! hehe

24 Eimear Rose May 27, 2010

I love zukes too, had them roasted for dinner tonight:)
You should totally take water with you for the half-marathon if its going to be very warm. It was very hot in the UK at the weekend after such a cold winter, and someone died doing the Edinburgh marathon:(

25 Amy May 27, 2010

Do you peel your zucchini? No need to peel it, the skin is soft enough and not bitter like cucumbers.

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

Sometimes I do, sometimes not…depends on my mood. I like it both ways.

27 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 27, 2010

I love me some healthy fats! haha Even just a small amount makes a meal so much more satisfying! Oh – and firefighters and chocolate…sign me up! haha

28 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 27, 2010

I have thought about getting a camelback but I don’t think I would like the weight on my back. It never gets too hot here and I’m not above 4 miles yet, so I don’t think its time for me to get one.

29 Rachel May 27, 2010

I love phat! I generally stick to olive oil and after learning about all of its health beneifts, I refuse to be scared of it! It is important to keep it in moderation, though, just like all things.

30 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 27, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a peeled zucchini before, lol. Your lunch looks great, especially the bread with buttah. I like all kinds of bread; white, whole grain, gluten-free– I’m totally obssessed. :lol:

Jenn

31 Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 27, 2010

I’m totally with you on white bread just being more BORING than whole grain. There just isn’t that much going on with white taste-wise that i find interesting. I always opt for whole grain when it’s an option (which thankfully, is most of the time!). I just love all the textures and flavors that you get with whole grain breads. And seeds. I adore seedy breads (not seedy bars though…lol).

32 Jenna May 27, 2010

your race sounds fun!!! LOL

my fave good fat by far is the avacado!! mmmm..heaven on earth.

33 Gina May 27, 2010

I had zucchini with tomato sauce for lunch today too! How ironic. It is was o so delicious.

34 Tina May 27, 2010

I used to be scared of cooking with fats too. I’m so glad I learned my lesson. They do make food so much more satisfying.

A race with firemen and chocolate? I’m no runner but I would sign up for that one!

35 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 27, 2010

I used to avoid fats like the plague too and it made me so unhealthy. Now I can’t go a day without nuts or avocados!

36 Claire May 27, 2010

Yay, I have a zucchini in my fridge right now…sounds like the perfect meal for dinner!
I also used to be afraid of fats but learned via a nutrition course in college that they are great for you if you choose the right ones.

37 Kara @ MyWellnest May 27, 2010

I agree EVOO makes things taste so much better!

I also STRESSSSS when I’m overwhelmed and am working on taking one thing at a time. Om is right!

38 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 27, 2010

I used to have the same fat phobia before I turned into “the healthier me”. Now I absolutely love almonds and walnuts, (and nut butters too!!) and can’t believe I deprived myself of them all for so long!
Good luck with getting caught up on everything…. you DID manage to raise an unbelievable amount of money yesterday, so I’m sure you can do it! :)

39 Mikki May 27, 2010

Congrats on the auction, what a fabulous job! Good luck with your race on Sunday sounds like you are having quite the heat wave! Where did you get your adorable spoons…the red and yellow ones. They are freaking awesome.

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

Some are from Crate and Barrel and some are from this outlet kitchen store in FL (can’t remember the name!)

41 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 27, 2010

oooh I love zucchini – but I noticed that you took the skin off? I normally leave it on :)

42 erika May 27, 2010

looks yummy but how does that fill you up after running three miles – veggies really are mostly water – ?

43 Flowyogilates May 27, 2010

I avoided fats too for a long time… now I try to incoporate fats like nuts, seeds and avocados and full fat yogurts sometimes……. but oils and butter are still difficult for me altough I know how important they are for health …. I know I have to overcome my fat-phobia… I will work on it
Greets from Vienna

44 Ilana May 27, 2010

It took me a really long time to get over fearing putting fat on my food too! I was convinced even the tiniest splash would be the downfall and pack on the pounds. It wasnt until I started eating fat (a lot of it, too) that I actually started losiing flab and gaining muscle. And zuch+olive oil=MMMmM!!!

45 Amy May 27, 2010

Hi, if you do have problems with your camel bak sloshing, once you’ve filled it, turn it upside down and suck the extra air out. This makes the bladder collapse on it self and no more slosh. :)

46 Annie D. from Annie's Simple Life May 27, 2010

I too was afraid of fats back when I was on Weight Watchers. Fat was the enemy.

…now Weight Watchers is the enemy hehehehe. ….shhhhhh

47 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 27, 2010

Cashew butter is one butter I have not tried yet! I will have to pick some up!

48 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) May 27, 2010

Oh my cashew nut butter. Thats one I still need to try!

49 Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 27, 2010

I used to be the same way and not add oil or eat peanut butter because of all the extra fat and calories. I did the same thing as you and slowly incorporated it back into my life…and life is SO much better with all of those healthy fats!

50 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries May 27, 2010

You’re just so cute. And, it’s so admirable how far you’ve come with your eating. So proud of you :smile:

51 Wei-Wei May 27, 2010

I’m scared of fats, too. Whenever my mom asks me how I want anything, I always say boiled or steamed. I’ve firmly convinced myself that fat is NOT flavour and only the “best chefs” can make something taste good without using oil… not true. I’m in love with my nonstick pan because it means I don’t have to use oil.

And I wonder why whatever I cook doesn’t taste good… (That said, I’ve avoided fats for so long that it seems my stomach is especially sensitive to it. Peanut butter makes my tummy ache, and after a binge on it I had quite an upset stomach.)

Wei-Wei

52 SentimentsbyDenise May 27, 2010

This looks like MY kind of meal! And, I’m with you on the whole grain breads – love all the seeds and nutty grains so much more than a bland piece of white bread.

53 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh May 27, 2010

Aww I hate that!! Computer errors drive me insane! It makes me want to punch the screen!! (I swear I don’t have anger issues lol)

I hope you can get it up and running tomorrow (:

54 Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 27, 2010

Okay I totally agree about the bread! I was making a sandwich with a hamburger bun (at my in-laws, they seriously had nothing else) and I was so grossed out by how soft it was that I ended up just eating my sandwich insides without the bun. haha

55 Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 27, 2010

I know what you mean about being terrfied of using oil. I would even get mad at my mom if she used too much oil SPRAY. Jeez. How blind were we to the amazing effect healthy olive oil has on foods taste? We sure were missing out lol

56 Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 27, 2010

I’m the same as you when it comes to stress. Om is right, sista!

57 Elle May 27, 2010

Just wondering what you eat for protein. I see lots of veggies and grains and nuts and fats but don’t see anything that I would call protein…

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2010

Veggies, whole grains, and nuts can actually be great sources of protein. In addition to these foods I eat a lot of lentils, beans, chickpeas, black eyed peas, quinoa, couscous,brown rice, chia seeds, nut butters, etc. Last time I did a tally of how much protein I got in my diet and I was right in the middle of the suggested range 48-65 grm/day. Most people get more protein than they actually need.

59 Maria May 28, 2010

I have had the same experience with fats – during my anorexia days, I wouldn’t down anything that had any fat in it. Quite dangerous, I have come to realize. And boy was I also missing out on taste. Further, the first thing I noticed after adding fats to my diet was that my brain started functioning better. The difference was incredible; no longer were my thoughts going round in circles, instead I could actually think of something other than food and weight. It really was the first step in recovering. Ok, sorry for the rant…

60 lindsey May 28, 2010

Hi there! Ok I give up! I have searched and searched all over your website for the past hour, typing in crazy things into your search bar trying to find out where you buy your colorful spoons that you always use in your posts! Can you please let me in on it? because I absolutely LOVE them!!

61 kelli May 28, 2010

LOVE this post, when I was consumed with my ed I definitely fear fats as well!! I would NEVER eat any nuts, nut butters, oils, etc. When I look back at what I used to eat it boggles my mind!!! I don’t know how I ate so little, and can’t imagine my life now without healthy fats especially my beloved chia seeds, nuts, and nutbutters! It’s amazing what ed does to you! Thank goodness we are thriving now with nutritious foods!

62 Susan May 28, 2010

I’ve started cooking with oils (and butter) again too – and it is SO much better! Amazing what just one teaspoon of olive oil can do for taste and satiety. Before I lost my weight, I used to dump it all over everything, then I went off it entirely. Nice to finally be in a balanced spot with it :)

63 Marieke May 28, 2010

I have never seen anyone take the skin off a zucchini – is there a particular reason for it?

And oh, cashew butter so awesome..

64 Amber K May 28, 2010

I still sometimes have flashbacks of worrying about fats. I try to have at least one nut butter, some nuts, some sort of oil. And my fat intake is still pretty low. I’ve started throwing in some avocado into some of my really low-fat meals to help.

65 caronae May 28, 2010

Healthy fats make life WAY more fun. I also like wheat/grain/seedy breads more. I loved white pasta as a kid but now think the nutty, textured whole wheat version is yummier :)

I really need to find some affordable cashew butter ASAP…

Happy weekend!

66 Jo June 1, 2010

I understand where you are coming from with being afraid of oil. I have recently gone all raw in my eating and still find that I am afraid to put a little olive oil on my salads. This is crazy! I had been feeling light-headed lately and I realized I had to get realistic. Subsisting on mostly veggies is not going to give me enough fat. I have to get over my irrational fear of oil. I opted for a regular salad dressing today and I am feeling better. I think a lot of people have this same irrational fear because we were conventionally taught to avoid fat back when scientist had yet discovered the idea of good and bad fats. This kind of thinking is dangerous and it happens to the best of us.