Savoury Oats Return!

Hello!

What a crazy busy day it has been. I am trying desperately to get caught up, but I just can’t seem to no matter how hard I try. I have a huge stack of orders, an insane over-flowing inbox, and a pile of paper work still. The first day back after a long weekend is always a sobering wake-up call. :blush:

I also have a few hours ahead of me to finalize all of the Shop 4 A Cause 2 auctions for tomorrow. Putting together this auction has been so much work, but I know it will be so worth it. I am so excited for tomorrow!

Some of you have been asking me how Shop 4 A Cause 2 will work, so I wanted to take this moment to hash out the exciting details!

• Tomorrow morning at 9am EST the SHOP 4 A CAUSE 2 post will go up, complete with details and all of the fabulous items up for auction.
  • The charity auction will function as a silent auction meaning that you have to email me (angela@ohsheglows.com) with your bid. I will not accept any comments left in the comment section- you must email me your bid for it to count. The email subject line must read ‘SHOP 4 A CAUSE 2 BID’.
  • All bids start at $20 Canadian Funds.
  • You only pay if you win the auction!
  • The auction starts at 9am EST and will go until 10pm EST on Wednesday May 26, 2010.
  • Throughout the day I will be updating each item with the current highest bid. I will do so frequently throughout the day as they come in! Check back to the site often for exciting updates and bidding wars!
  • At 10pm EST, I will stop taking bids. Each auction winner, as indicated on the S4AC2 post by 10:10pm EST, is asked to donate their winning bid to my donation page. You must make your donation in your name or at minimum your initials + blog name so I know that it is your donation. Once that is done, email me to confirm (angela@ohsheglows.com), and I will provide the winner with the email of the item donor to collect the winner’s mailing address.
  • Please do not place a bid on an item if you have no desire to follow through with payment.
  • In the event that someone does not donate the winning bid within 24 hours (by 10pm EST on Thurs. May 27th), I will go to the runner up bid and contact that individual.
  • As I confirmed with Running Room, each person who makes an online donation will receive a tax receipt emailed to their email account. Running Room is aware of how my auction is going to work, and they confirmed to me that everyone will receive a receipt regardless that you are getting items in return.
  • When you visit my donation page (will be up on my page tomorrow), you may pay with Mastercard, AMEX, or Visa only.

I appreciate if you can spread the word on your blog and Twitter tonight and tomorrow and tell your family and friends about this great cause!

Hopefully that is clear as mud..? :biggrin:

Now onto dinner!

I have been drooling at the thought of making my cheezy savoury loaded oats, but I have been out of nutritional yeast for a while. I finally picked some up this weekend! Oh how I missed it.

For the ‘cheezy’ oats recipe, see here.

This time I added in 1/4 of a vegetable bouillon cube. I took the water, milk, and bouillon cube and brought it to a boil in a pot. Once the cube was dissolved,  I added in the oats + seasonings and cooked for about 9 minutes. It tasted sooooo amazing with the bouillon addition!

IMG 1712 thumb thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

The toppings all rounded up…

IMG 7802 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

It is so fun to load up the oats with whatever tickles your fancy! I threw on black beans, avocado, Mary’s crackers, organic pasta sauce, pepper. I also love hummus and salsa on it too.

IMG 78172 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

IMG 7807 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

So much colour, flavour, and texture.

IMG 78112 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

I was also thinking this would make a fun fajita filling…?

With some crunchy, juicy carrots and black pepper…

IMG 7814 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

The pasta sauce is a key ingredient in my opinion. It really makes everything pop! Salsa also works in a pinch.

IMG 7822 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

For dessert Eric and I split the last S’more cupcake.

RIP cupcakes, we had a good run.

IMG 7798 thumb   Savoury Oats Return!

Eric and I might go for a short walk before I start working on Shop 4 A Cause 2 for the rest of the night.  Our weather hit 32C/90F today! We need to enjoy even just 15 minutes outside tonight….it would be a crime not to! My sore legs + left tricep are doing ok. I was stiff all day today, but I think working on my feet and baking today actually helped get the blood flowing to my sore muscles. I’m thinking another ice bath might help tonight too!

See you tomorrow morning for the big event. Let’s raise some money for cancer! :heart:

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 25, 2010

Now that has me convinced to try savory oats! Amazing!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 25, 2010

i’m still scared of the savory oats, but you’re starting to make a strong case for me to try nutritional yeast! i’m such a chicken…

Jan Lane October 25, 2013

Hi! If you haven’t tried the Savoury Oats yet, make sure you do. So delish….and a great change from a sweet oatmeal dish. Wonderful at any time of day! Gotta love Nutritional Yeast. Mmmm!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 25, 2010

Those oats look amazing!! Love the toppings, YUM!

Jenn

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 25, 2010

AAH! I’m so excited for Shop 4A Cause!!! your oats look fab :)

Camille May 25, 2010

Ooh, I love savory oats!
Yours look especially delicious.

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 25, 2010

That looks so good! I often make savory oats for breakfast with an egg on top, but never would have dreamed they’d make such an enticing dinner.

Lisa May 25, 2010

You are so brave! I tried to take an ice bath after my last 8k and one toe into the cold water was enough for me to give up!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner May 25, 2010

I’ve been nervous about trying savory oats, but that looks pretty damn amazing.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Lif May 25, 2010

WOW – that bowl of savory oats looks soooooo good! I don’t think I ever would have thought of that…thanks for the idea! :)

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 25, 2010

That’s funny that savory oats just made a return to your life because they made a return to my life for dinner yesterday! I’ve been sick, and I thought to myself, what easier or more comforting meal is there than oatmeal plus cheeze? Hello! For the longest time, I was scared of trying savory oats, but I’m so glad I did. The key to amazing dinner oats are the toppings!

claire May 25, 2010

Wow, those savory oats look delicious! I have yet to try them but those toppings sound so good!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 25, 2010

I can’t wait to try and make those cupcakes… they look amazing! It sounds like you’re week is starting off with a bang. Hang in there! Friday is right around the corner!

Ashley May 25, 2010

Yummmm. I think my problem was I tried to eat savory oats for breakfast. I just wasn’t ready for all of that flavor! haha I’m excited for shop 4 a cause..can’t wait to see all the bids coming in! Love the pretty photo of your eats on the table w/the centerpieces in the background :)

Ameena May 25, 2010

You are so super creative with your oatmeal! I have never thought to put so many delicious savory toppings on mine. It’s usually just flax and maple syrup! Thanks for the great idea and the mouth-watering pictures!

jenny May 25, 2010

You’re doing an amazing thing with shop for a cause!

Jessica Lee May 25, 2010

This is the best thing I’ve seen on any blog thus far today!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 25, 2010

I really need to get around to trying savory oats.. for real!

Heather May 25, 2010

whoa Angela! Those look fantastic. I can’t wait to try them… along with a bunch more of your recipes.

Caroline May 25, 2010

Oh yum! I love savory oats and often cook them in broth if I have a chance. Some people are turned off by the idea but they are really like any other grain. They totally don’t have to be sweet. Yours look like a super healthy burrito bowl! And I love the picture on your header. I didn’t see it before because I usually read with a reader.

Wei-Wei May 25, 2010

YUM! I love love love savoury oats. I kind of treat it like congee; in Taiwan, we eat it with things like pork floss, preserved bamboo shoots, pieces of dried seaweed, tofu… yum! Though savoury oats Mexican-style is awesome too. ;) I’d love to try salsa on my oats! (Can you believe I’ve never had guacamole??? :O)

Wei-Wei

Lisa May 25, 2010

Those oats look amazing! I’ve never tried savory… minus plain topped with a poach egg. They look amazing!

Good luck getting everything done— keep at it, but give yourself ‘me time’ too :)

mary May 25, 2010

your dinner looks amazing! I cant wait for the big event tomorrow :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 25, 2010

Can’t wait to see the awesomeness that’s up for grabs tomorrow

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary May 25, 2010

Oh my goodness! Your weather ?! I feel like just a few short weeks ago it was cold ;)

I’m a savory oat lover myself and think I need to try out your method… I normally have ‘em like this:

Mary @ It's Bliss May 25, 2010

Wow, those oats looks delicious! I just had dinner and I’m hungry just looking at them.

Good luck on Shop 4 a Cause tomorrow!

Fueling for Fitness May 25, 2010

YUM! I just ate savoury oats with spinach for the first time this weekend, thanks to your recipe!

I’m already thinking about the next time I’m going to make (and devour) it! :)

-Alison

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 25, 2010

Ohh those oats look amazing. I need to find nutritional yeast!!

Krystina May 25, 2010

Oh my heck, those oats look delicious.

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 25, 2010

hehe angela. you must get such a kick from typing in your emoticons. i smile whenever i come across one.

cheesey oats – i will have some tomorrow! i have a bottle of pasta sauce to be used up!

Annie D. from Annie's Simple Life May 25, 2010

OMG Angela your dinner looks SO good! I’m TOTALLY stealing this idea for tomorrow :o)!!

AND I’m excited to bid on some neat-o stuff!!! Woot woot!

Tina May 26, 2010

As a childhood cancer survivor this touched my heart. I hope to get in on the bidding in the morning. Everything sounds so yummy!

lili May 26, 2010

PLEASE READ THIS
I do appreciate your blog and everything you write here and i know that everyone i entitled to their own opinion but I think you’re spreading a lot of food fears (especially veganism which is a very unhealthy diet)
I don’t know if you’re going to read this comment but I think you should at least check out this blog JUNKFOODSCIENCE.BLOGSPOT.COM
i know that you probably not gonna change your mind about it but at least i hope you read it

Triathlonbabe May 26, 2010

Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast anymore! Yummy, Mexican style oats, sounds fantabulous, gonna have try that one!

BTW, where’d you find the scale I saw on your cupcake blog? I need one of those.

Can’t wait for the S4AC2 today! Woohoo!

It’s hard to submerge in ice but the feeling afterwards does wonders!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2010

Hmmm I can’t remember where I got it. I think it was a gift!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 26, 2010

I love how Canada is getting warmer weather than we are here. It such a shame ;)

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh May 26, 2010

Savory oats!? You are a genius. Saving this recipe for a rainy oat day

Lisa @ leesespeeces May 26, 2010

what seasonings do you add to your oats?
they look great!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 26, 2010

I would have never thought to make oats that way!! Good luck with shop for a cause, I hope the bidding goes well! :)

Stacie May 26, 2010

Angela,

Thought I would share a cookbook tidbit with you……
I don’t know if you have a photocopying/printing/misc. office needs store near you (in the midwest it is called Kinko’s), but they will spiral bound any cookbook/music book, etc.!! It is absoultely amazing…and for cheap—roughly USD $5.
Good luck for your shop 4 a cause—such an wonderful idea! Good for you :)
~Stacie