BBQ Masta

Hello!

Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians. :heart:

I hope you are having a great weekend. Our weather continues to be one of the best May two four’s we have had in years and years (it usually rains!). Today is supposed to be even warmer and sunnier reaching about 28C and staying hot all week. We are getting spoiled!! :biggrin:

Firstly the trail riding Eric and I did on Friday!

IMG00149-20100521-1537

On Friday we biked to the trails and then we decided to do a more difficult trail that we had not done before.

It was SO HARD! Utter madness!

IMG00150-20100521-1541

Completely covered in rocks.

It was probably the hardest thing I have done physically in a long time. It took every ounce of concentration!!! Part of me was scared to death and part of me LOVED it.

We were going very slow, so we only did about 1/4 of a mile on this trail and turned back, but we will definitely be doing it again and again. I would really like to get some knee and elbow pads though!

IMG00148-20100521-1534

I have really surprised myself with my new love for trail biking. I am starting to say crazy things like, ‘Wouldn’t a trail bike race be fun?’

IMG00145-20100521-1529

The bike ride:

• Distance: 7.92 miles
  • Time: 1 hour 3 mins.
  • Avg speed: 7.5 mph (we went slow on the rocks!)
  • Ascent (hill climb): 1315 ft.
  • Max speed: 19.9 mph (downhill)

Saturday was a rest day and then yesterday Eric and I went for a quick swim.

We did 30 lengths/750 metres in about 25 minutes. My left tricep started hurting only a few lengths into the swim and I have no idea why! I must have strained it somehow. I’m not sure if it was from Thursday’s 48 length swim. I stuck to the flutter board for the rest of the swim, so I am going to give it rest and hopefully it feels better in a couple days!

IMG_1138

We were hangry as per usual after a swim. Eric decided to fire up the BBQ and treat me to a delicious meal!

In the summer, Eric is known as the BBQ MASTA. He seriously comes alive when he grills food and he morphs into this amazing chef before my eyes!

IMG_7720

I have so much love for corn on the cob, it’s not even funny!

IMG_7721

He Googled how to BBQ corn (so cute!) and the website said that you typically leave the corn in the husk and then BBQ it, but Eric had already removed the husks so he used tin foil.

He lightly covered them in Earth Balance margarine and then sprinkled them with ground pepper and sea salt and then rolled them in the foil. He cooked the corn for about 20 minutes.

IMG_7723

He said he felt like a celebrity chef when I was taking so many pictures of him! :biggrin:

IMG_7724

Rollin’, rollin’, rollin.

IMG_7725

Voila!

IMG_7726

Veggie Skewers. A man after my own heart.

IMG_7719

BOOM.

IMG_7730

This was off the hook.

IMG_7736

I had it with hummus, a tomato slice…

IMG_7737

and then we proceeded to demolish a pineapple that I chopped up. It was the best post-swim meal ever.

IMG_7731

Then we got ready for our party!

I gussied up the house with fresh lavender and a homemade white vase…

IMG_7748

Yes, friends, I crafted on Saturday. I will be showing you how I made the vase in a future post.

We watched some long weekend fireworks at the end of the night.

IMG_1182

I asked Eric to take pictures of the fireworks, but unfortunately this was the only shot that was waiting for me on my camera this morning…

IMG_1175

I swear they were better than that! :lol:

Fun photo ops were had.

IMG_1165 (2) IMG_1168 (2) IMG_1167 (2)

I drank Mill Street Organic once again and I had about 5 beers throughout the evening, finally hitting the hay around 2am.

At the end of the night, we did my hangover prevention kit, which consists of water, an optional wheatgrass shot (aka me only!), and vitamins. I woke up this morning feeling awesome! Never fails.

Now it is time to carpe diem and get out in this glorious HOT SUN. Plans of the day include the beach, trail biking, and running. Oh, and party clean-up (boo) and of course lots of delicious, energizing food.

See you later tonight for the s’more cupcake recipe and a recap of the day!

Don’t forget- WEDNESDAY is SHOP 4 A CAUSE 2. It begins at 9am EST! Tons of amazing items up for auction!

1 Faith @ lovelyascharged May 24, 2010

I love hiking, but I’d be absolutely terrified to ride a bike up some of those trails! Even worse with a race…I’d be so into pushing my time that I’d probably hit some buge rock and wipe out :/ Glad it’s easier than that for you though!

2 Megan @ Sweet On May 24, 2010

Well, you know what I think about mountain bike races! :) Do it do it do it!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

How long do you think it takes to train for an entry level race when starting from scratch?

4 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 24, 2010

That corn seriously looks absolutely amazing!

5 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 24, 2010

what a great long weekend!!! your photos are STUNNING, and i’m totally making grilled corn on the cob this week now, thanks to you :)

6 Heather May 24, 2010

Ohhh!! Looks delicious! Thanks for posting all your workouts–it makes me feel both inspired and normal! You’re doing great things but not going NUTS!! I love it!

7 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete May 24, 2010

Wow. Your BBQ looks great! That just goes to show that you don’t need to BBQ meat for a great BBQ meal!

Great job on the swim and the bike ride! I see some BMX racing in your future! ;)

8 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 24, 2010

Happy Victoria Day from New York! :)

That corn looks amazing. YUM

Jenn

9 Lauren @ Health on the Run May 24, 2010

That trail is beautiful!! And definitely looks challenging. Congrats on the ride. :)

Sounds like you’re having an amazing. long weekend. Enjoy your beach day!

10 Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 24, 2010

As much as I love cooking for my boyfriend . . . it is so nice that you’ve got a man with some grilling skills! What a treat.

11 Jessica @ How Sweet May 24, 2010

Love grilled corn! Just made a dish with it today!

12 Megan@EatScrapRun May 24, 2010

I would be so scared of that trail. I am impressed that you made it a 1/4 mile. It’s great to try new things, isn’t it? I am hoping to try out indoor rock climbing soon.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I too want to try indoor rock climbing!

14 Vivian May 24, 2010

Looks like you’ve been having a great long weekend! I think this is one of the warmer May 2-4’s in a while? Love it!

15 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini May 24, 2010

Oh Himself is the BBQ Meister also. We had two over the weekend. He is brilliant at it, it is the only time he is willing to cook really. I think it brings out something primal in him ;)

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

Eric says grilling food makes him so HAPPY. it is hilarious.

17 Erin May 24, 2010

I love corn on the BBQ–something about the BBQ just makes everything taste better.

18 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 24, 2010

Wow– that trail is intense! I’m always so impressed by the things you tackle in your fitness (and life) routine. You’re an inspiration!

19 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 24, 2010

Grilled corn is awesome. You’re making me anxious for the Memorial Day weekend coming up. Oh, and next time you should totally grill that pineapple, too.

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

Good idea!

21 Alexandra May 24, 2010

I have to try your hangover prevention kit!! the grilled corn looks yummy.

22 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 24, 2010

I love grilled everything! Corn is for sure the best when it is grilled :)

23 Sarah for Real May 24, 2010

I need to try that hangover remedy. I have just two drinks these days and always end up with a headache the next day. Our US Memorial 3-day weekend is next weekend so I’ll get the chance to test it out!

24 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 24, 2010

Ahhhhh you are so smart to BBQ the corn. I had almost the same meal last night but I did the corn on the stove in a pot

25 Tina May 24, 2010

Enjoy your day!

I can’t believe you made that vase. It’s gorgeous. And kudos to your hubs on the corn grilling. It looks delicious. We are having some tomorrow night and I can’t wait!

26 Kristina May 24, 2010

Jason is the same way, once summer is here he is Grill KING! we always grill corn in the husk, but I think Eric’s way sounds better… we may have to try that!

…Have you ever put that pineapple on the grill?? SO good, with a little ice cream on top…

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I dont think I have ever tried grilled corn in the husk, but I do like how Eric putting the margarine + seasonings on first and they sort of soaked in. It was so yummy. We’ll have to try the husk way next time. I wonder if you could remove the husk 3/4 of the way and put the seasonings on and then put the husk back on?

28 Kristina May 24, 2010

probably? I’m picturing leaving most of the husk, opening it up to butter + spice? :)

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work! We may try this next time. :) I’m drooling thinking about it. I think putting on the butter/margarine BEFORE is key. It was the first time I have ever had it that way and it was so much better.

30 Lauren May 24, 2010

We grilled corn yesterday, too! So delicious – it just screams of summertime.

31 wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 24, 2010

Love grilled corn! Especially with a sprinkle of Old Bay.

That looks like the best post-workout meal ever. Keep that healthy feeling going…

32 Wei-Wei May 24, 2010

Trail riding looks very intimidating to me. I can’t even imagine hiking on that sort of path… (I’m clumsy.)

You should have grilled the pineapple, too! Grilled warm pineapple is soooo yuuuuum. :D

Happy Valentine’s day (in Canada…??)

Wei-Wei

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

haha it’s Victoria Day, but Happy Valentine’s Day to you too! ;)

34 Ellen May 24, 2010

unless your photos are deceiving me, the lavender looks an awful lot like lilacs :) awesome vase!

corn is probably my favorite thing to grill, but pineapple is awesome too. you should try grilling the pineapple next time. seriously delicious.

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

Is it lilac? I didn’t know if it was lilac or lavender…haha.

36 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary May 24, 2010

Those trails near your home are so beautiful… wish we had something like that near here!

37 Ashley May 24, 2010

Chris is a grill master too…we LOVE grilling!! The trail riding looks fun…I have yet to try that! Maybe try some icy/hot cream on your tricep? Looks like such a good weekend..cannot wait for the recipe!

38 Mel May 24, 2010

Did you barbeque the pineapple pieces too? If not you should try – they go really juicy and yummy!

39 zoe May 24, 2010

you and eric are seriously adorable — it’s too cute!
enjoy victoria day!
(i’m not sure what it is…google search engine here i come!)

40 Lisa May 24, 2010

That corn looks amazing! BBQ makes everything yummy. I love BBQ’ed pineapple too.

41 Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 24, 2010

I LOVE your hangover prevention ritual! Once I have this baby and am done nursing I’ll definitely be trying that when I have one to many.

That trail looks beautiful. I’m sure it’s incredibly intense on a bike but everything is so green!

42 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 24, 2010

That rocky picture makes me nervous just looking at it!

Mmmm…I love corn on the cob in the summer! So good!

43 Amber K May 24, 2010

That does look scary! But awesome that you powered through.

44 Mo@MommyRD May 24, 2010

What a fabulous weekend. I can’t wait to do your hangover prevention next weekend. :-) Good eats help too!
PS-You have NOT lost your glow.

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

aww thank you!

46 Hayley May 24, 2010

The grilled corn and veggies look sooo good! Good work, Eric!

47 Camille May 24, 2010

Looks like a fun day!
I can’t wait for the auction!

48 Rachel May 24, 2010

That trail doesn’t even look rideable, kudos for making it 1/4 mile!! That corn looks fabulous, I’m thinking of making some tonight in the oven… no grill today since NC hasn’t seen the sun in DAYS.

49 Allison @ Food For Healing May 24, 2010

we’ve had NOTHING but rain and wind all weekend. It sucks. But at least today the sun has finally peaked out, we need to get out and enjoy this i think. supposed to rain ALOT all week again here in Sask. What a bummer

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I hope you had good weather today! I think we had rain and cold for the past 4-6 years for may 2-4, so it was long overdue in Ontario.

51 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life May 24, 2010

We just grilled corn & peppers the other night, too! So summery! I ran into the same issue with no husks & used foil as well. Next time I’ll have to leave them on longer to get them golden like you guys did!

52 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 24, 2010

that food looks so yummy! I love veggie skewers!!

53 Kristie May 24, 2010

I get nervous biking on any kind of uneven terrain… kudos to you for tackling that course, wow!
And BBQd corn cobs are the BEST. I really wish we had some right now!

54 Annie D from Annie'sSimpleLife May 24, 2010

Everyon has been doing corn on the grill lately!!! That looks scrumptious!!!!

55 Heather May 24, 2010

I had a quick question if you do not mind answering~ do you a program or is their a website were you can punch in a favorite recipe to get the nutritional info on it. I have seen that you have done that from time to time and thought it would be nice to know sometimes.

Your blog is very inspiring~ thank you!

Heather

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I use nutritiondata.com It is a bit annoying because searching for ingredients isn’t the best, but overall it works!

57 Callie May 24, 2010

What brand and kind of vitamins do you take?

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I take Vit D, Vit C, calcium, magnesium, B12 :)
I use all kinds of brands…whatever is on sale, but I check to see if they contain animal products first.

59 Mary @ It's Bliss May 24, 2010

Whew that does look like a tough trail! A trail race would be fun- it’d definitely up the intensity that’s for sure! What were the fireworks for? Victoria Day?

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

yup they were for victoria day :)

61 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 24, 2010

That corn looks freaking awesome!! Yumm. I looove corn on the cob…having braces from 4th – 6th grade was traumatic in the summer when I couldn’t have it…well, aside from cutting it off.

62 jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 24, 2010

bbq looks AWESOME angela.

63 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 24, 2010

Oh man…I LOVE bbq corn! It’s the BEST! Your whole meal looks right up my alley…I could eat a whole tomato just like an apple. SO good! :-P

64 Jen May 24, 2010

I love grilled veggies!!! My new favorite veggie to grill is asparagus drizzled in EVOO with lots of pepper. Can’t wait to see your recipe for s’more cupcakes. I’ve been craving sweets like a crazy lady today :)

65 Leah @ Why Deprive? May 24, 2010

That corn looks SO good! I love corn on the cob, its one of the best things about summer.

66 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 24, 2010

That trail looks tough! I would be so scared of falling off my bike!

Corn on the cob is the best.

67 Alexandria Smith May 24, 2010

Those kabobs look amazing!! Good work with that corn too…I think I know what the hubs and I are eating for dinner!

68 Sophie @ yumventures May 24, 2010

LOVE LOVE LOVE corn on the cob! I can’t wait for their peak season! :)

69 Ali May 24, 2010

Since Eric’s a grill master, I’m curious – have you ever tried grilling pineapple? It’s the best dessert EVER.

We either dust pineapple slices (or kebabs) with cinnamon sugar or a honey-black pepper glaze. The sugars caramelize the outside of the pineapple and it tastes so, so good. Sometimes we serve it with angel food cake, but mostly we have it alone. Yummy AND healthy – definitely a dessert for you. :)

70 Melissa Cari May 24, 2010

Oh my that corn looks amazing!!!

71 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 24, 2010

Mmmmm, I cannot wait to have my first corn on the cob of the season!!!!

72 Triathlonbabe May 24, 2010

YUMMY, we love grilled corn on cob. My hubby grills his corn the exact same way, however, he adds one more ingredient that makes your corn even more tasty, cilantro either fresh or we buy the kind in a tube. It gives the corn an amazing taste!

Mountain biking is the BOMB! Although, I can’t get past some of those harder trails, the ones with the rocks and roots, etc. Yikes! I do like the ones with the obstacle courses made by other MTB’ers, like the see-saws or the narrow boards, fun stuff!

I was supposed to get a run in today, however, work calls and I had to log in from home after working an 8.5 hour day…ugh! I did do some major strength training at lunch, so it feels good to at least know a workout was done!!!

73 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear May 25, 2010

I love your hangover prevention kit! I usually only drink a lot of water and eat something savory before going to bed, it usually helps !:)

74 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 25, 2010

Looks like you had a fun BBQ! Too bad I couldn’t be there for the fireworks- we did see a couple on our way over the border, though! hah

xo