BBQ Masta

Hello!

Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians. :heart:

I hope you are having a great weekend. Our weather continues to be one of the best May two four’s we have had in years and years (it usually rains!). Today is supposed to be even warmer and sunnier reaching about 28C and staying hot all week. We are getting spoiled!! :biggrin:

Firstly the trail riding Eric and I did on Friday!

IMG00149-20100521-1537

On Friday we biked to the trails and then we decided to do a more difficult trail that we had not done before.

It was SO HARD! Utter madness!

IMG00150-20100521-1541

Completely covered in rocks.

It was probably the hardest thing I have done physically in a long time. It took every ounce of concentration!!! Part of me was scared to death and part of me LOVED it.

We were going very slow, so we only did about 1/4 of a mile on this trail and turned back, but we will definitely be doing it again and again. I would really like to get some knee and elbow pads though!

IMG00148-20100521-1534

I have really surprised myself with my new love for trail biking. I am starting to say crazy things like, ‘Wouldn’t a trail bike race be fun?’

IMG00145-20100521-1529

The bike ride:

• Distance: 7.92 miles
  • Time: 1 hour 3 mins.
  • Avg speed: 7.5 mph (we went slow on the rocks!)
  • Ascent (hill climb): 1315 ft.
  • Max speed: 19.9 mph (downhill)

Saturday was a rest day and then yesterday Eric and I went for a quick swim.

We did 30 lengths/750 metres in about 25 minutes. My left tricep started hurting only a few lengths into the swim and I have no idea why! I must have strained it somehow. I’m not sure if it was from Thursday’s 48 length swim. I stuck to the flutter board for the rest of the swim, so I am going to give it rest and hopefully it feels better in a couple days!

IMG_1138

We were hangry as per usual after a swim. Eric decided to fire up the BBQ and treat me to a delicious meal!

In the summer, Eric is known as the BBQ MASTA. He seriously comes alive when he grills food and he morphs into this amazing chef before my eyes!

IMG_7720

I have so much love for corn on the cob, it’s not even funny!

IMG_7721

He Googled how to BBQ corn (so cute!) and the website said that you typically leave the corn in the husk and then BBQ it, but Eric had already removed the husks so he used tin foil.

He lightly covered them in Earth Balance margarine and then sprinkled them with ground pepper and sea salt and then rolled them in the foil. He cooked the corn for about 20 minutes.

IMG_7723

He said he felt like a celebrity chef when I was taking so many pictures of him! :biggrin:

IMG_7724

Rollin’, rollin’, rollin.

IMG_7725

Voila!

IMG_7726

Veggie Skewers. A man after my own heart.

IMG_7719

BOOM.

IMG_7730

This was off the hook.

IMG_7736

I had it with hummus, a tomato slice…

IMG_7737

and then we proceeded to demolish a pineapple that I chopped up. It was the best post-swim meal ever.

IMG_7731

Then we got ready for our party!

I gussied up the house with fresh lavender and a homemade white vase…

IMG_7748

Yes, friends, I crafted on Saturday. I will be showing you how I made the vase in a future post.

We watched some long weekend fireworks at the end of the night.

IMG_1182

I asked Eric to take pictures of the fireworks, but unfortunately this was the only shot that was waiting for me on my camera this morning…

IMG_1175

I swear they were better than that! :lol:

Fun photo ops were had.

IMG_1165 (2) IMG_1168 (2) IMG_1167 (2)

I drank Mill Street Organic once again and I had about 5 beers throughout the evening, finally hitting the hay around 2am.

At the end of the night, we did my hangover prevention kit, which consists of water, an optional wheatgrass shot (aka me only!), and vitamins. I woke up this morning feeling awesome! Never fails.

Now it is time to carpe diem and get out in this glorious HOT SUN. Plans of the day include the beach, trail biking, and running. Oh, and party clean-up (boo) and of course lots of delicious, energizing food.

See you later tonight for the s’more cupcake recipe and a recap of the day!

Don’t forget- WEDNESDAY is SHOP 4 A CAUSE 2. It begins at 9am EST! Tons of amazing items up for auction!

Page 2 of 2«12
Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 25, 2010

Looks like you had a fun BBQ! Too bad I couldn’t be there for the fireworks- we did see a couple on our way over the border, though! hah

xo
K

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear May 25, 2010

I love your hangover prevention kit! I usually only drink a lot of water and eat something savory before going to bed, it usually helps !:)

Triathlonbabe May 24, 2010

YUMMY, we love grilled corn on cob. My hubby grills his corn the exact same way, however, he adds one more ingredient that makes your corn even more tasty, cilantro either fresh or we buy the kind in a tube. It gives the corn an amazing taste!

Mountain biking is the BOMB! Although, I can’t get past some of those harder trails, the ones with the rocks and roots, etc. Yikes! I do like the ones with the obstacle courses made by other MTB’ers, like the see-saws or the narrow boards, fun stuff!

I was supposed to get a run in today, however, work calls and I had to log in from home after working an 8.5 hour day…ugh! I did do some major strength training at lunch, so it feels good to at least know a workout was done!!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 24, 2010

Mmmmm, I cannot wait to have my first corn on the cob of the season!!!!

Melissa Cari May 24, 2010

Oh my that corn looks amazing!!!

Ali May 24, 2010

Since Eric’s a grill master, I’m curious – have you ever tried grilling pineapple? It’s the best dessert EVER.

We either dust pineapple slices (or kebabs) with cinnamon sugar or a honey-black pepper glaze. The sugars caramelize the outside of the pineapple and it tastes so, so good. Sometimes we serve it with angel food cake, but mostly we have it alone. Yummy AND healthy – definitely a dessert for you. :)

Sophie @ yumventures May 24, 2010

LOVE LOVE LOVE corn on the cob! I can’t wait for their peak season! :)

Alexandria Smith May 24, 2010

Those kabobs look amazing!! Good work with that corn too…I think I know what the hubs and I are eating for dinner!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 24, 2010

That trail looks tough! I would be so scared of falling off my bike!

Corn on the cob is the best.

Leah @ Why Deprive? May 24, 2010

That corn looks SO good! I love corn on the cob, its one of the best things about summer.

Jen May 24, 2010

I love grilled veggies!!! My new favorite veggie to grill is asparagus drizzled in EVOO with lots of pepper. Can’t wait to see your recipe for s’more cupcakes. I’ve been craving sweets like a crazy lady today :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 24, 2010

Oh man…I LOVE bbq corn! It’s the BEST! Your whole meal looks right up my alley…I could eat a whole tomato just like an apple. SO good! :-P

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 24, 2010

bbq looks AWESOME angela.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 24, 2010

That corn looks freaking awesome!! Yumm. I looove corn on the cob…having braces from 4th – 6th grade was traumatic in the summer when I couldn’t have it…well, aside from cutting it off.

Mary @ It's Bliss May 24, 2010

Whew that does look like a tough trail! A trail race would be fun- it’d definitely up the intensity that’s for sure! What were the fireworks for? Victoria Day?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

yup they were for victoria day :)

Callie May 24, 2010

What brand and kind of vitamins do you take?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I take Vit D, Vit C, calcium, magnesium, B12 :)
I use all kinds of brands…whatever is on sale, but I check to see if they contain animal products first.

Heather May 24, 2010

I had a quick question if you do not mind answering~ do you a program or is their a website were you can punch in a favorite recipe to get the nutritional info on it. I have seen that you have done that from time to time and thought it would be nice to know sometimes.

Your blog is very inspiring~ thank you!

Heather

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2010

I use nutritiondata.com It is a bit annoying because searching for ingredients isn’t the best, but overall it works!

Annie D from Annie'sSimpleLife May 24, 2010

Everyon has been doing corn on the grill lately!!! That looks scrumptious!!!!

Kristie May 24, 2010

I get nervous biking on any kind of uneven terrain… kudos to you for tackling that course, wow!
And BBQd corn cobs are the BEST. I really wish we had some right now!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 24, 2010

that food looks so yummy! I love veggie skewers!!