May Two Four

Last  night we kicked off the May ‘two four’ long weekend with some good friends and good beer.

IMG 7586 thumb   May Two Four

My current favourite beer is Mill Street Organic. It is made locally in the distillery district!

IMG 7569b thumb   May Two Four

My brother-in-law Steve introduced me to it last year by saying that he never gets hangovers when he drinks this beer. I haven’t had one to date after drinking it myself (but I’m sure I could!), but I just really love the taste of it. It is so smooooooth.

To balance out the brews last night, I woke up and had an energizing juice composed of grapefruit, carrots, and lime. I was much too heavy on the lime and it tasted pretty tart. In my defense I was trying to use the limes up because I bought them discount and they were on their last legs! :biggrin:

IMG 7601 thumb   May Two Four

Then I had a Banana Soft Serve vegan Overnight Oats parfait! Mmmmmmm. I recently shot a video of how to make the VOO parfait so I hope to post it soon!

IMG 7528 thumb   May Two Four

Now for some awesome health links hand-picked by yours truly.

Health News Round Up:

Spottings:

Have you guys seen this movie preview yet???

What do you think of the preview? Would you go see the movie?

Have a great day!

Katie May 22, 2010

I can’t wait for that movie to come out! I have changed my eating habits throughout my life, from meat eater, vegetarian, vegan, junk food, back to meat eater, and if I really think about it, I felt better when I didn’t eat meat. I felt lighter. It was harder for me to plan meals that didn’t get boring, or that were easy, ( I am a horrible cook!) BUT I am slowly returning to vegetarianism and maybe one day I will get back to a HEALTHY vegan.

Thanks for posting the movie clip Ange!
and I look forward to the video on how you make your oats. I think I am making mine wrong, cause there never that good! hehe

kt

Wei-Wei May 22, 2010

Thanks for the links! I especially enjoyed Gena’s post on body commentary. Can’t wait for the VOO video! :D

Have a great Saturday! :D Woot! :)

Wei-Wei

marie May 22, 2010

This looks great! I teach high school and we’ve watched Supersize Me and Food, Inc. and read Fast Food nation and the students are absolutely shocked by what they are seeing. They had no idea. I will definitely see this movie!

Danielle @ Body By Nature May 22, 2010

Wow wow wow, this movie looks great!

Therese May 22, 2010

First of all, I LOVE Mill St! It’s turned into my boyfriends favourite beer so we have it often and I love that it’s organic AND local! Yeah!

I’d definitely see that movie although I think, for me, it’d be preaching to the choir! I think I’d like a few of my family and friends to see it though! I started exercising and eating better because I saw what was happening to those around me and I KNEW it was preventable and I KNEW what I had to do to stop it from continuing to happen to myself. And now it maddens me to think that there is such a resistance from the government to put out programs and legislation to help, they only do what they have to do and that’s it.

Heather May 22, 2010

That movie looks really great!
I loooove Mill St Organic. My new fav as of a couple of months ago. No hangover yet (knock on wood).

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 22, 2010

First off… love the glass your juice is in!!
Those movies always interest me, I probably wouldn’t go to the movie theater to see it, but I would definitely want to watch it!!

Sara May 22, 2010

Angela–
I used to work with a woman who helped with the research on this movie Dr. Pam Popper. She’s a naturopath and owns The Wellness Forum (http://www.wellnessforum.com/) here in Columbus, OH where I live. If you would like to speak with her or do a blog interview with her I can help you reach her. I love your blog and I think you’re readers would really enjoy it!!

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

That would be amazing! thank you :)

VeggieGirl May 22, 2010

Just finished watching the movie preview and also researching/reading more on ForksOverKnives.com – I will NOT go to see it.

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

care to share why?

VeggieGirl May 22, 2010

A lot of it isn’t “new” information – usually the people who need to hear or see it though, won’t see the film. I don’t want to waste my time seeing and hearing about stuff I already know about. Also, as someone with an incurable disease that can only be helped so much by diet, I get annoyed when people basically say “diet can cure cancer! no need for any medication!” not true for all cases and situations.

VeggieGirl May 22, 2010

To clarify, I do not have cancer (thank goodness) – but I do have Crohn’s Disease. Some people are able to manage it without animal products, some do better WITH animal products. Everyone is different.

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

I too thought the trailer made it seem very black and white. I hope the movie itself isn’t this black and white because we know life doesn’t work like that.

VeggieGirl May 22, 2010

Exactly! Thank you for seeing my point – I didn’t want to come off as being rude or dismissive. You rock, Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2010

no, you didn’t come off that way at all. That was one of the first reactions I had when watching the trailer. I hope they give a balanced view. I would hate for them to alienate those struck by illness that already have a very healthy diet…because unfortunately it happens all the time.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 22, 2010

A video of how to make VOO would be absolutely FABULOUS!

Samantha Angela @Bikini Birthday May 22, 2010

Happy May 2-4!
Your post is making me crave some beer. I’m in Toronto this weekend so maybe I’ll head to Mill St.

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind May 22, 2010

Oh wow that looks like a pretty compelling documentary. Yeah, I would definitely see it. Geez even the preview scared me a little! Ha.

Also, love the link to personal trainer article – hilarious!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 22, 2010

That beer sounds great! At first I thought it was Miller High Life – very similar packaging and the red label is similar!

Ameena May 22, 2010

I love all the great links…especially the one on yoga poses.

I haven’t heard of this movie before! Where have I been?

Danielle (Runs on Green) May 22, 2010

That looks like a movie I’d love to see! Of course, I still haven’t seen Food Inc… but one of these days I’ll get all caught up :)

Caroline May 22, 2010

Definitely would see that movie!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 22, 2010

I can’t wait for a video on how to make that amazing creation. Yesterday was the first day I brought a green monster to work and I think it will be happening often. I got weird looks as to why I was holding 2 giant coffee mugs though (one was coffee, the other green monster) but that’s ok I’m used to weird looks haha. I want to see that movie definitely!

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

I used to always get teased for bringing GMs into work!

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 22, 2010

mm! that combo of juice sounds really good!

adrienmelaine (confessionsofahealthnut) May 22, 2010

Your new layout looks great- and thanks for all the wonderful links- I’m into reading and catching up big time in the health worlds this weekend. You’re amazing.

Jessica Lee May 22, 2010

That movie reminds me of a documentary I just watched…

Katie @ Ordinary Girl, Extraordinary Journey May 22, 2010

Those VOO looked like a tropical drink at first! Haha regardless, it looks delish!! I’m off to read about how mineral makeup could be bad. I sincerely hope not!! I love that stuff!

Lauren @ Health on the Run May 22, 2010

I’ve never actually had organic beer, but you’ve intrigued me! :)

And I know that trailer is super sensationalized and all…but it’s gotten me hooked. I believe the cause of most chronic disease is rooted in our diets, and though I myself am not a vegan, I think it will be an interesting film to watch.

Amber K May 22, 2010

I loved the health news round-up. A great selection of articles!!

Lizzie May 22, 2010

I work as a film editor – it’s not the greatest trailer. While it definitely piques an interest in the fact that it never actually says what the solution is – and while the title might seem obvious to some people, most average film viewers need to be bopped on the head with the point. Not b/c they’re stupid, but b/c there is so much other crap competing for their attention.

Having said that, I am a huge indie film fan and hope that there will be enough publicity about it that more people will go and see it.

Funny timing though – my usually meat eating hubby has mentioned twice this week about how he wants to start eating more plant based meals (which we do probably twice a week at the moment). Are you sure Eric hasn’t started some sort of underground web-site convincing men about the benefits of healthy eating?? :) I looked at your posts about spelt burgers and might have to give them a try.

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

I enjoyed reading your perspective on the trailer! I find it leaves me wanting to see MORE, so I guess that is a good thing.

Eric starting an underground movement is totally possible- in my dreams, haha.

Lizzie May 22, 2010

You need to keep tabs on Eric and his computer time – ha ha!

If it leaves you wanting to see more, then it has done it’s job. I wish more indie films of any topic would garner a wider interest. There are some fantastic films out there!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 22, 2010

I love your links. Every single one I just have to click on :)

Mary @ It's Bliss May 22, 2010

I’ve never tried overnight oats due to fear it won’t fill me up but your versions make me want to try them so badly!! Yum!

Camille May 22, 2010

That movie looks good! Kind of scary though…

Tamara May 22, 2010

Yes, I’d go see it! I wish they’d said what the secret is though…I guess that’s why we have “previews”!

Jill May 22, 2010

Mmmm, I love Mill Street Organic. I am not a beer drinker at all – normally I hate it, but this one I really like. I even bought a case of it a couple of weeks ago, and it was all for me – my hubby doesn’t drink beer. :)

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

I only like a few kinds of beer myself and this one is the smoothest in my opinion. Apparently there is another organic beer hitting The Beer Store called Big Rock Organic http://www.bigrockbeer.com/#/main/home it is supposed to be at the beer store next week. I cant wait to try it out next time I go.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 22, 2010

I loved the article from Runner’s World – thanks for sharing!

Michelle May 22, 2010

That movie looks fantastic! I’ve never heard of it before, but I’ve read the China Study so I understand the basis for the film. Can’t wait!

Kilee May 22, 2010

Thank you for posting all the great links! It’s nice to have them all rounded up like that. I love your hair in that cute braid! Take care and have a great weekend!

Amy May 22, 2010

Looks like a great movie! I have the China Study, but lent it to my aunt (who is studying to become a holistic nutritionist) since I didn’t have time to read it right away… Hope it comes out soon! I could use something to get me back into craving raw foods!

AngelaOSG May 22, 2010

I can’t wait to read that book!

Erin May 22, 2010

Those soft serve oats are perfect for hot weather!

Tina May 22, 2010

Glad you had a fun night with friends. That video preview is interesting. And based just on that it seems like something many people need to see. I loved how they mentioned the best thing we can do for our families/kids/loved ones is basically to help them live a healthy lifestyle to avoid so many ailments we so easily could be avoiding.

Heather May 22, 2010

the movie sounds interesting! i’ve always loved how you can avoid a lot of health issues by simply living a healthful lifestyle…the way we were MEANT to live!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit May 22, 2010

I just read the Runners world article. So true and so good! I always look at pictures and hate the way I look.

Katie May 22, 2010

Ohh man.. you make me want a juicer so badly! :P

I watched that trailer a few days ago – I’m excited that more attention is being put on our wacky food industry. People just don’t realize what the real story is behind what they put in their mouths on a regular basis. The trailer was pretty unclear as to what the film was going to be about, though. If I hadn’t known, I would have had no clue what the “solution” they kept talking about was…

Adrianne May 22, 2010

This is the whole reason I am experimenting with being vegan and working my family that way as well, I read The China Study. This movie looks to be the documentary version of the book. I am so excited, the book is a little tough to read unless you are really into this stuff (like we all are) but for people who would never pick a book like that up, may go see the movie! Did I mention how excited I am?!!!

Lauren May 22, 2010

I made the nut butter parsnip fries yesterday for snack and WOW. I can’t wait to try out more of your recipes. VOO, here I come!

Page 1 of 212»