Ate My Weight

Hi there!

Thank you for sharing all of your comments and personal stories today on my Always trust your gut post. Unfortunately, many women have either felt vulnerable or been in an unfortunate situation, but I think the fact that we are having this discussion will do a lot of good. It will help keep us safe, aware, and open to new ideas to help protect our safety.

Eric and I didn’t have much luck finding any personal safety items in stores today so we ended up ordering online. I purchased Sabre Dog Spray (which is legal in Canada) and a Street Defense Personal Safety Alarm that clips on to a waist-band. I figured the waistband would be the most practical place for me to put an alarm because I will likely be carrying the dog spray in my hand. I plan on bringing both items on my runs from now on.

When the items arrive, I will be blogging about them and letting you know what I think!

I also got around to updating my Half marathon and Try-a-tri training plan, which can be found below, on my Run page, or by clicking here.

I started my half marathon training on February 1st. This training plan morphed into half-marathon + try-a-tri training shortly after our announcement on April 12th.

Since February 1st, I have had 37 rest days, which averages out to being 2.46 rest days per week.

This included a week off from my groin pull and exercise ‘funk’. It pays to rest your body! Today was a rest day as well.

~~~

Last night’s birthday celebration was fun!

We went out for Mexican food…yum.

I started off with a huge beer:

IMG 0879 thumb   Ate My Weight

Followed by my weight in salsa and chips.

IMG 0883 thumb   Ate My Weight

For my main, I ordered veggie fajitas.

Look at this steaming veggie skillet!

IMG 0890 thumb   Ate My Weight

BOOM.

IMG 0891 thumb   Ate My Weight

The veggies were fried in lots oil and they tasted sooooo good.

I also ate my weight in fajitas. I lose all hunger cues when I order fajitas and I just eat until I am stuffed and can’t move. It happens every time!

IMG 0897 thumb   Ate My Weight

Oh guacamole, how I love you.

IMG 0881 thumb   Ate My Weight

But boy did I get stomach pains later from the garlic (I can’t digest garlic well). Gets me every time.

IMG 0893 thumb   Ate My Weight

I had 4 fajitas and I couldn’t move. Either could the rest of my family. I was in good company.

IMG 0895 thumb   Ate My Weight

After dinner, we went back to my brother-in-laws and we exchanged gifts for 1) Mother’s Day, 2) My father-in-law’s birthday, and 3) My birthday.

We had a grand ‘ol time.

My brother-in-law, Dave, looking thrilled to have his picture taken.

IMG 0911 thumb   Ate My Weight

My brother-in-law Steve (looking less thrilled) and Joanne (thrilled). :biggrin:

IMG 0912 thumb   Ate My Weight

My mother-in-law Margaret and my sister-in-law Ewa on the far right (ignoring the photographer).

IMG 0914 thumb   Ate My Weight

Not sure where my father-in-law was when these pics were taken! Hiding?!

BENNY (thrilled, but wishing you would scratch his head)

IMG 0915 thumb   Ate My Weight

Like most Goldens, Benny will be your best friend if you so much as look his way. Or just stand in his relative vicinity (within a 2 mile radius).

I got some lovely and very thoughtful gifts!

IMG 7021 thumb   Ate My Weight

• Measuring cups
  • Bike tune up kit
  • Bike pump
  • Padded Chef’s mat from Costco (oh my feet will be HAPPY come Monday!!! yippee)

IMG 7023 thumb   Ate My Weight

and some lovely dish towels.

IMG 7028 thumb   Ate My Weight

Tomorrow is my actual birthday. The big TWO SEVEN on the oh five, one six, twenty-ten. Tomorrow, Eric tells me what we are doing is a surprise. Sounds exciting!

We are celebrating my birthday next weekend with friends, so the festivities will continue on another week. Just the way I like it. :tongue:

Enjoy your night!

Megan @ Sweet On... May 15, 2010

O.M.G. that guacamole!!!! I can just taste it and it is gooooooood :)

Over here in Germany it’s already your birthday — Happy Birthday, Angela! Thanks for everything you do to help us all glow in our own way.

Bekah May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Megan@EatScrapRun May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday! That’s great you have so much family around to celebrate with you. Enjoy your surprise tomorrow.

misty May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday! The guac looks SOOOO tasty!

have a great day tomorrow, just 3 years till 30…but by then I will be 33…dammit!

come run with us soon!

Misty (thebrooklinruncub.com)

Mama Pea May 15, 2010

I love that tea towel!!! And a forewarning about those measuring cups: the handles break off very easily!

I hope you get a Vita from Eric for your birthday. I think it is a necessary business expense for the bakery!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, hon!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 15, 2010

Looks like a fun birthday dinner! I always tend to overstuff myself with certain foods too (all you can eat sushi gets me EVERY time haha).

Enjoy your real birthday tomorrow! Can’t wait to see what Eric has planned. :)

Lauren May 15, 2010

That guacamole looks really good! I love Mexican food.

This might be a dumb question, but I’m wondering when we see things like tortillas and chips, are they vegan? I don’t know very much about the availability of vegan food and I always think when I see those things that unless you were at a vegan restaurant, it might be kind of hard to keep all the “extras” in a meal vegan too. Or maybe you just do the best you can when you’re eating out, even if it’s not 100% vegan? Or maybe those things tend to be naturally vegan? I have no idea! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2010

I know what you mean! I always ask the server if I am unsure. Often they don’t know, and have to go ask the chef.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 15, 2010

Holy Yum! Those Fajitas look amazing! Spending an evening with family is always so much fun! Thanks for sharing your story this morning. I get frustrated sometimes having to make a decision to cut a workout short or risk putting myself in a dangerous situation just because I’m female. But safety always outweighs everything!

Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow!!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 15, 2010

That guac looks so good I might be drooling! Thanks for sharing that post this morning. Sometimes I feel like I overreact to those kind of situations but I tend to get freaked out pretty easily. Better safe than sorry right!

Alexis May 15, 2010

Tomorrow is my birthday too! Yay for May 16th

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2010

Happy birthday!

Alycia @ FitnFresh May 15, 2010

mexican food is up there on the top ten lists of food i love for sure! especially chips and salsa, i honestly have no self control when it comes down to that lol

Lauren @ Eater not a runner May 15, 2010

Love guac! And hope you have a great pre-birthday :-)

Amber K May 15, 2010

Happy almost Birthday! I turned 27 on the 12th. =)

Mexican food always gets me too. I could continue to eat all of the delicious flavors long past when it is acceptable to do so! But that’s usually why I try and stay away from eating out! I can go overboard too easily. I did better when I went out for my birthday though. Ate at Sweet Tomatoes and had an amazing time. =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2010

happy b-day!

Bridget May 15, 2010

It seems like a common theme around the blog world, but I too can never control myself around chips and salsa. It’s dangerous haha!

Yay for your birthday! Have an amazing day – you deserve it :)

White Rabbit May 15, 2010

MMMn that food looks seriously good. Think I’m going to have to whip up a Mexican feast for dinner tonight. Hope you are feeling better after this morning’s post. My heart was in my mouth reading it. It does sound strange – your jacket being gone and a guy being in a car nearby .. also weird how he got out the passenger’s side door. I don’t want to scare you but more often than not gut instincts are right. I have had a few situations myself where things just didn’t feel right. I think as women we just kind of know. It’s hard to explain. I am so glad you’re okay. I don’t think women should live in fear but I know with myself, it’s easy to get complacent. We just need to go about our normal lives but be a bit aware. Thanks for sharing – it’s a good reminder to us all. Hope you have a lovely, relaxing, week ahead. :)

White Rabbit May 15, 2010

Oh and it’s a bit remiss of me to post without wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Welcome to to 27 ( I am 27 and it’s pretty good really) – you’re not as old as 30 but you’re more wise than 25!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2010

I lovethe way you think! ;)

Camille May 15, 2010

I love how in the pictures everyone is sitting back and holding their stomach :)
Haha, that’s exactly how I feel after the glory that is Mexican food!

lindsay May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday! I turn 27 next month, eek! Hope get some awesome gifts like you did. Enjoy your day!!!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 15, 2010

Aww, glad you had such a wonderful (and delicious!!) birthday celebration. Those chips look sooo crunchy and good! I’ve never heard of dog spray…I don’t really know too much about safety items beyond mace and pepper spray. I know that in Massachusetts you are required to have a permit for – I think it’s pepper spray…but perhaps both.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 15, 2010

What a fun evening!!!!

kelli May 15, 2010

I love this post, someimes you gotta just indulge and enjoy it at the moment! Love the chef mat also! If only I lived in canada I would so work for your bakery and help you concoct awesome things. Move to ny :P Anyway I hope you have an awesome birthday !

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 15, 2010

Happy early birthday. Hope you have a good day and an amazing surprise.

Erin May 15, 2010

There’s really nothing better than a good platter of Mexican food. Yum!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 15, 2010

Sounds like so much fun! Guacamole is the best when it’s like that, super fresh!

Gillian May 15, 2010

Happy early birthday!

I always eat my weight tortilla chips and salsa. We always had the Que Pesa brand growing up, alllwaayyss, it was the one thing that you could be sure would be in our kitchen, and whenever I get my hands on chips and salsa it’s big time comfort food!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 15, 2010

I hope you have a wonderful day, girl! :)

Lauren May 15, 2010

Happy Early Birthday!!! Glad you had a good time!! :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 15, 2010

Bring me into a Mexican restaurant and I am uncontrollable! haha the chips, oh the chips! Too bad I live in San Diego and there is a mexican restaurant on every corner. ;-) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope your day is amazing and I’m glad you’re okay after yesterday’s fiasco!

Kristina ( spabettie! ) May 15, 2010

Have a GLOWING Birthday! Have fun with whatever awesome surprise Oh He Glows has for you, and enjoy the continued festivities!

nicole @ Making Good Choices May 15, 2010

Angela, Have a wonderful birthday! I also loose all cues when I’m around chips and salsa…it’s just something about mexican food!

Tina May 15, 2010

Happy early birthday! How fun that you get to enjoy it now, tomorrow, and next week as well. That’s the way to do it. I’m excited to hear what the surprise is.

jj May 15, 2010

Thanks for sharing the information about the personal defense items. You REALLY got me thinking about this and how I would like to get some of these too (I have been chased by more dogs than I can count). About the “street defense personal safety alarm”, how did you decide on that one, over other similar items? I was also noticing this one: http://www.streetdefender.com/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?catalog=0 which seems to be smaller and more compact. Just curious how you decided on the one you got, as you’ve obviously done the research, please share how you came to your decision. Thanks for bringing this to light…I have similar concerns and often get very indignant that as women we have to fear for our safety. Guys don’t seem to have the same risks and can just go out for a run just about anytime or anywhere and not really worry about their safety simply becaue they are GUYS. But females absolutely cannot do the same thing. Such is life I suppose, but thanks again for sharing your safety ideas on this.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2010

I looked at that one too, but it didn’t seem to have the belt hook that I was looking for. I think the website has a FAQ page too with more info about the different kinds.

Wei-Wei May 15, 2010

Happy birthday! My gosh, I feel young. ;)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 15, 2010

Yay for birthdays! I hope you take the day off tomorrow and enjoy ringing in the big 2.7 : ) Love the pea towels – super cute!

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex May 15, 2010

Happy birthday, Angela!

glowingBIL May 15, 2010

Happy birthday SIL. Hope my brother spoils you tomorrow

Glad you see safe and sound after your adventures in the woods

Kellie May 15, 2010

I ate my weight in cheese pizza, frozen yogurt and candy today. Good thing tomorrow is a new day!

Leah May 15, 2010

Im the same way with fajitas, when I eat them I eat until I cant move. Theyre just so good!

ashley May 16, 2010

I’m SO glad you were okay from the scary happenings on the run. Also glad you found some safety items to carry along with you. I didn’t realize we are pretty much exactly the same age. I’m 27 on July 3rd :) Happpppppppppy Birthday!!! It looks like your gifts were perfect and how fun to celebrate all of those different occasions. I’ve decided it’s pretty much IMpossible to not eat a whole basket of chips while out for Mexican. Just one of those thing…I have the same problem with fajitas. Glad you had a good night with the fam and can’t wait to see what Eric has in store!! Have an awesome relaxing fun day!!!! xo

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl May 16, 2010

Oh, the veggies look YUM! I love salsa, guacamole, etc. Mexican is my fave – so good!

I tweeted your post on the women’s intuition and self-defense. Thanks for sharing your experience, and your heart. That’s such a beautiful – and very important – post!

And Happy Birthday, girl! Hope it’s the bestest ever!!!!

Healthy hugs,