Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Hello :)

Oh boy, was I dragging today!

I felt like I was going in slow motion. Everything I did took twice as long as normal. Must have killed a few brain cells when I hit my head this morning. ;)

For dinner tonight, I was craving veggies in a mad way. I wanted something raw, crisp, and fresh.

IMG 6292 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

and energizing…

IMG 6299 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

The Big Summer Salad:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 English cuke, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped
  • 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
  • Serve over a bed of mashed cooked chickpeas (I used 1 cup)

The kicker was this awesome homemade salad dressing!

IMG 6289 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Sweet & Tangy All-Purpose Dressing:

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp regular mustard
  • 3 tbsp regular vinegar (any kind would work though)
  • Small pinch sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp or less of pure maple syrup (to taste)
  • 1/4-1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Pinch or two of Italian Seasoning (I used Presidents Choice Sun-dried tomato mix)

Directions: Mix above ingredients and pour over veggies!

IMG 6304 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I loooooved this dressing!! I can’t believe I have been buying salad dressing all these years. I have had such fantastic results with both that I have made (see Better than Bottled here).

IMG 62982 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I had this with a bowl of my favourite chips in the WORLD!!!

IMG 6315 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Dessert- An Adore Glo Bar:

IMG 6309 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I found out that Eric is the LOWEST weight he has been since high school!

He weighs himself every week or two and he told me this morning that he weighed in at 172 pounds (he is 6 foot 2)! His highest weight was in university-he weighed 210 pounds. I can’t believe how much weight he has lost. I guess I didn’t realize it because I see him everyday but when I look at old pictures, I can totally see the change.

These pictures were taken in 2005 which was near his highest weight. My weight was always going up and down throughout university due to the binge-starve cycle I was trapped in. So glad I beat that.

All of these pictures are from 2005:

Picture009 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

We were definitely the type of couple that gained weight together. I ate what he ate, he ate what I ate. We both ate lots of pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, and frozen foods.

Picture038 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Picture098 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

crop4 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

172 pounds:

IMG 0709 thumb1   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

So proud of him. :)

Tonight’s question: Have you ever gained weight ‘in sync’ with another person like a partner, roommate, family member or friend? Have you ever lost weight with another person?

Updates:

• Farmer’s Market Hiring: Glo Bakery is hiring energetic and passionate individuals to work at the Harbourside Organic Farmer’s Market in Oakville this summer! If you are in the Milton or Oakville area and would like to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to resume@globakery.com by tomorrow, Friday May 7th. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you to all who apply!
  • vegan overnight oats spotting!

Ciao!

kalli@fitandfortysomething May 7, 2010

i definitely think couples affect eachother for the positive or negative……

Jen May 7, 2010

Thanks so much for the shout out, Angela! Overnight oats are my new fav! I love how they are just waiting there for you when you wake up! :)

Your salad looks amazing! My mouth is literally watering. I love trying different salads and making my own dressing. It took me a long time to realize that salads do NOT have to be boring!

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 7, 2010

Ow ow! Eric looks great, Angela! You guys are doing great.
I don’t think my husband and I gain or lose weight together. For the past few years, my weight has remained constant, or at my happy weight. My husband’s tends to go up and down, as he’s so busy with work. He works out when he has time, and then won’t for a month when work picks up and is super busy.

Stacy May 7, 2010

Garden of Eatin Tortilla Chips + Me = BFFs 4 Eva!

My husband and I have definitely gained and lost together. It’s a very symbiotic relationship that we have ;-)

He lost some weight after I started cooking much healthier meals. The only problem is when I’m NOT cooking for him. That’s when he goes a little bananas. When we order Chinese, I get steamed food without sauce. He gets fried chicken and pork fried rice. And last week he went out for lunch with coworkers and ate cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake. We’re all human, I guess.

He also hates all aerobic activity. I wish he’d run with me, but I don’t think that’ll ever happen, ha. The best I can hope for is to get his butt out on the tennis courts more this summer.

S May 7, 2010

Just saw this article and thought of your recent post on jealousy…

kimmy May 7, 2010

Angela – I know you have said before that being at that weight made you unhappy, but I have to say that you were STILL insanly beautiful!

Jess May 7, 2010

I think the BF and I definitely go through healthy/not healthy eating cycles. When I cook we eat healthy, but the BF likes to go out to eat a lot. So there’s definitely room for improvement.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 7, 2010

oh yes . . . my bf and I have been at our highest weights together and our lowest. But it is hard to tell because we see each other everyday. The highest was in college and the lowest is now.

Jill May 7, 2010

My husband has an amazing metabolism. I do most of the cooking and try to focus on healthy eating; however, I’ve noticed as of late that the food I make that helps me stay healthy and full of energy is not enough for my husband. He’s lost weight recently and he’s as thin, if not thinner, than he was in his adolecent years (15 years ago!). In other words, too thin. I try to make more of a meal and encourage him to eat more, but he needs different foods to make himself feel healthy than I do. So, in a long answer to your question, yes, I do believe couples gain and lose weight together. Mainly because they end up eating many of the same meals. However, they vary in the amount gained/lost. I’m still searching for a way for both of us to be healthy.

Susan May 7, 2010

When Chris and I were going out, we definitely gained and lost together. I hate to say it – but he was the influencer in the gaining and I was the influencer in the losing! :P Not purposely of course, I just ate and drank what he did, which is far too much for a 5’7 girl. When I started training for the triathlon, he stared cycling with me and we both lost weight. I like to think I got him eating a little healthier. Although – he got me eating hamburgers again!! :P

Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion May 7, 2010

Adam and I gained weight and lost weight together too! We both gained a lot of weight after we met and now (12 years later)I have lost the weight and so had he.

Shannon May 7, 2010

Oh, SO true! My husband used to love heavy meals and I always obliged, especially when we were newlyweds. However, we just moved into a new place and are talking about babies and are both focused on trying to get healthier. I have bought a lot less “junk” and more veggies and am giving him exercise tips. It’s wonderful

highonhealthy May 7, 2010

I’ve never gained weight with another person but I’ve gained weight due to being FRIENDS with another person. She was always telling me to just eat whatever.. and I did.. and gained almost 20 pounds. I love her to death but a part of me thinks her encouragement wasn’t as innocent as it seemed at the time.

You two look great and I can definitely see the difference in Eric. You must be so proud of him. :D

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) May 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I definitely gained weight when we first moved in together. I think this happens a lot – you feel the need to cook big, comforting meals to share together in your new home. Luckily, we were both able to lose together, too! I think it was total motivation to see the other lose weight and get into shape. We realized we were happier that way, too.

Now that you mention it, the last few seasons of The Biggest Loser have been done in couples (married, parent/child, cousins, friends, etc.) I wonder if we could tell if there were better results this way? I love the show, but I have some gripes about it (if you’re interested, you can see my last post). This ‘couples’ thing might be interesting to look at!

Jennifer May 7, 2010

Yup, I think we both gained after getting married but we are both on a healthy track right now thank goodness!!

Jen May 7, 2010

My husband’s weight and my weight definitely cycle up and down together. I do most of the cooking so when I’m on a healthy cooking kick, we naturally shed pounds; when I’m stressed and don’t want to cook, we gain pounds. Even though we’ve been together for almost 15 years, we’ve only been married 4, and we’ve definitely both gained since we got hitched. I think it’s also coincided with our lifestyles becoming busier though – we’re both working longer hours and not wanting to plan/cook as much, and no matter how healthy you try to eat on the go, it’s bound to catch up with you. We’re working on it though! Now that the weather is nicer we’re getting back into the habit of taking hour long power walks after dinner, and we’re trying to utilize more fruits & veggies which is easier to do now that more are in season. We’ll find our balance eventually!

Noelle May 8, 2010

Hi Angela! Great post! My husband and I both gained weight together after getting married and it actually started after we started dating. I ditched my vegetarian way of eating and followed his and together we gained weight. We are now keeping each other accountable and are weighing in together and losing weight together! It has been a great inspiration but it truly affects for better or for worse!

Autumn Tao May 8, 2010

First–Love the new banner, just got a look since I am googlereader user. Nice job.

Second–You and your husband make a beautiful couple, and by that I mean not just your athletic, toned bods, but your wonderful spirits and energies too. You are such an inspiration.

Nichole May 8, 2010

I wish I had the same problem my live-in boyfriend does. Whenever he doesn’t work out he loses weight. He’s just naturally thin like a rail.

Your salad dressing looked so good, so I tried it last night on a salad (http://veganniche.blogspot.com/2010/05/garlic-daiya-pizza-chips-and-salad.html). Yum, thanks!

Maighen May 11, 2010

We actually traded weights almost to the pound. I was 5’6″ and 175 (which was good for me since I have PCOS and have always been heavy) and he was 6’5″ and 235, which I never thought looked bad at all. Within a year of us meeting and marrying (9 mos into the relationship, and now about to be 5yrs as Mr. & Mrs!), he got down to 180 and I ballooned up to 240. ACK! My problem was eating all the crap he ate (at first before he went polar opposite) as often as he ate it added with the stress of nursing school. All I did was eat, sleep, and study for 3 years! Ugh! He started eating less and less and running on his lunch breaks instead of eating (mostly because we were broke while I was in school and running kept his mind off eating), and he got quite thin, really. He looked amazing, but he felt horrible all the time. I looked AND felt horrible! At some point we met in the middle at 200 a piece, but I now seem to be stuck in the 220s, which is where he was himself until about 6 months ago when he started working out religiously and eating basically nothing but chicken, broccoli, protein powder, and eggs every day. He’s got an addictive personality (gave up smoking and drinking, picked up obsessive working out…. which is better…. I guess…) that lets him do that without problem, but I can only go a couple days with restrictive eating before I end up splurging on badness. lol I’m finally being treated for my PCOS and low thyroid, so at least I’ve stopped gaining every time I smell food. :) Now I just have to work on actually eating more than once or twice a day, since that’s just as bad as overeating (more so in my case because of the hormone imbalances). I’m hoping that once my hormones get in check I’ll actually have enough energy to start walking daily again. As it is now, the only thing I ever want to do is sleep… soooo exhausted all time! Ugh! Any way, good luck to everyone out there trying to meet their fitness goals. My attitude about it gets worse the more he gets obsessed with working out for some reason, so I’m just going to have to put on my big girl britches, suck it up, and get my fat a$$ in gear! :)

DCVegan June 6, 2010

I know this is a few weeks old, but I’m still new to this site. Anyway, holy hell yes this is sooooooooo the case for me!!! I moved in with my roommate 2 years ago, and she is larger than I am, I have always been thin, but these past two years I’ve gained about 20 pounds!! I am still not fat by other peoples standards, but to me I am not at my comfortable weight. I have gone up in numbers, but really I go by how my clothes fit, and just about most of my wardrobe does not fit me anymore :-( so damn depressing!!! So I am loving your site and all of your amazing recipes and tips!! I went shopping yesterday and got chia seeds, and the amazing grass, and coconut oil or butter, not sure which one it is hahah but so excited to start cookin away!!

Lauren July 22, 2010

My boyfriend of 6 years and I have had the exact same experience! We were both a little on the chubby side when we first started dating, but we gained about 60 pounds each over the course of a couple years. I started Weight Watchers, and I dropped 20 pounds. Without much effort, he lost 30! Since then, we’ve both lost almost 30 more. He’s thinner than he’s ever been, and I’m finally back to my college weight. I still have 20-30 more pounds to go, but we look and live SO differently.

Kathryn September 14, 2010

My husband (who is a foot taller than me!) and I totally gained weight together after getting married – A LOT OF WEIGHT. We called it the yummy phase, it lasted a while. We are still in the recovery! Ha ha! We were so happy and married (and young, 22 and 23) we just got a new house in an area with a lot of resturants. We ate out a lot, lots of garbage food and we gained and gained. One day we finally said this is insane. We’ve been slowly working our way down the scale together, more seriously in the last year 2 years. We are almost to wedding weight area 6 years later. The good thing about having a PIC (partner in crime) is that he is also my PIH (partner in health). We do yoga together, cook more inthe house, keep each other on the up and up to eat well and we’ve even started training for a couch to 5K together.

Shardae "The Sukkar Chef" September 20, 2010

Great post, I definitely gained weight with my husband. Neither of us noticed until we decided to treat ourselves to some new clothes and were *SHOCKED* when we couldn’t fit our old sizes! We are working together to lost the weight now, and it helps that he is along for the ride.

Jamie Lynn October 2, 2010

Interesting question! I have eaten healthy my whole life until I met my Sweetie, who is Greek. After that I ate what he ate, white rice, white bread, sweets, lots of heavy meat, few vegetables and olive oil like it was a beverage. I gained 50 lbs and he gained 100, living our carefree being-in-love life. After 6 years, I have us both on a mainly vegetarian diet, mostly vegan we we are both feeling good. We have switched to my old way of eating and away from his. He has always had a weight issue but I didn’t. He is loving the food.

Thanks for a great and inspiring website!

Garcinia Cambogia Review April 7, 2013

I think this is among the most important info for me.

And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Page 2 of 2«12