Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Hello :)

Oh boy, was I dragging today!

I felt like I was going in slow motion. Everything I did took twice as long as normal. Must have killed a few brain cells when I hit my head this morning. ;)

For dinner tonight, I was craving veggies in a mad way. I wanted something raw, crisp, and fresh.

IMG_6292

and energizing…

IMG_6299

The Big Summer Salad:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 English cuke, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped
  • 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
  • Serve over a bed of mashed cooked chickpeas (I used 1 cup)

The kicker was this awesome homemade salad dressing!

IMG_6289

Sweet & Tangy All-Purpose Dressing:

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp regular mustard
  • 3 tbsp regular vinegar (any kind would work though)
  • Small pinch sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp or less of pure maple syrup (to taste)
  • 1/4-1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Pinch or two of Italian Seasoning (I used Presidents Choice Sun-dried tomato mix)

Directions: Mix above ingredients and pour over veggies!

IMG_6304

I loooooved this dressing!! I can’t believe I have been buying salad dressing all these years. I have had such fantastic results with both that I have made (see Better than Bottled here).

IMG_6298 (2)

I had this with a bowl of my favourite chips in the WORLD!!!

IMG_6315

Dessert- An Adore Glo Bar:

IMG_6309

Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I found out that Eric is the LOWEST weight he has been since high school!

He weighs himself every week or two and he told me this morning that he weighed in at 172 pounds (he is 6 foot 2)! His highest weight was in university-he weighed 210 pounds. I can’t believe how much weight he has lost. I guess I didn’t realize it because I see him everyday but when I look at old pictures, I can totally see the change.

These pictures were taken in 2005 which was near his highest weight. My weight was always going up and down throughout university due to the binge-starve cycle I was trapped in. So glad I beat that.

All of these pictures are from 2005:

We were definitely the type of couple that gained weight together. I ate what he ate, he ate what I ate. We both ate lots of pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, and frozen foods.

Picture 038

crop4

172 pounds:

IMG_0709

So proud of him. :)

Tonight’s question: Have you ever gained weight ‘in sync’ with another person like a partner, roommate, family member or friend? Have you ever lost weight with another person?

Updates:

• Farmer’s Market Hiring: Glo Bakery is hiring energetic and passionate individuals to work at the Harbourside Organic Farmer’s Market in Oakville this summer! If you are in the Milton or Oakville area and would like to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to resume@globakery.com by tomorrow, Friday May 7th. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you to all who apply!
  • vegan overnight oats spotting!

Ciao!

1 Jenny May 6, 2010

Yes! Guys eat so differently, and it’s easy to let them cook for you… but they don’t make meals like the one you ate tonight!

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 6, 2010

i definitely gained weight when my hubby and i got married…and i’m still in the process of trying to lose that. the thing is, it’s a lot harder because he’s not quite as dedicated to it as i am. definitely causes a lot of nights of pizza still, but there are nights of great salmon and salad dishes too. i really like this post though and will be showing it to my hubby :)

3 Charity May 6, 2010

Rock on, Eric! I’ve been losing weight on WeightWatchers over this past year, but my husband stays pretty much the same. He has a much better sense of feeling hungry & full than I do.

4 Ashley May 6, 2010

Hmmm, I guess in college I probably gained weight not with Chris but someone as a result of him..which sounds weird. But, I was hanging out with him all of the time and his guy friends who eat + drink more than I was used to. I didn’t gain a lot of weight but definitely put some on…I think it was just a college phase. I was still working out a lot and very strong but just with a little extra weight on me. I also gained weight from having 2 roommates that had eating problems. I mean it was my own fault for gaining the weight..but they cooked a lot of food, mostly baked goods..and would leave it for “everyone” to share..but I was the only one that would actually eat it. Chris gained quite a bit of weight from a job he had where he went out to lunch with the guys everyday to some grease-fest restaurant. During the 1.5yrs he worked that job he gained 15lbs! Within 6mo of him getting laid off he had lost about 10lbs of that..he’s much more active now, especially since we live in CO. He lost the rest of the weight, without even trying [dang boys!!] and probably even a little more. It is crazy to think about the influences cause weight gains + losses!

5 Heather May 6, 2010

My hubby has gained @ 30 lbs since we’ve been married and I’ve been about the same-a bit less actually.
I attribute his gain to working nights, stress of his job and good ole cerveza!
For me-health has been a priority forever and since I am gluten, egg, and dairy intolerant I CAN’T eat or drink what he does.

6 Jenny May 6, 2010

I gained weight when I first moved in with my boyfriend, but then I took charge. I even get him to eat some veggies!
I lose and gain weight with my twin, though. We are states apart but we still go through similar phases.

And PLEASE tell me how to make mashed chick peas. I know it’s easy, but I have failed multiple times. HELP!

7 Kirsten May 6, 2010

Love this post! I would definitely say that with all my more past serious relationships I have gained weight. Ended up eating what they eat…not good. With my current boyfriend I’m trying to take control of the cooking more, so I know what we are eating!

8 Lisa May 6, 2010

When I moved in with the BF I gained some weight. I started eating like he did (pizza, drinking, popcorn, junk!!!). That came to a stop recently.

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 6, 2010

I think that is true, for sure. I think the key is moderation.. enjoy yourself but balance it with mostly healthy choices!

10 Kari @ Adventures in Newlywedland May 6, 2010

Totally! My husband and I have both gained weight since our wedding in September. Me much more than him. Too much. Ugh.

11 Allison @ Food For Healing May 6, 2010

we definitely both gained some weight together, but we’ve been losing it together now. My boyfriend is having a much greater success than me.. its really depressing! but i am proud of him.

12 Erin May 6, 2010

This has definitely been the case for me! We were both very thin when we met several years ago, but since moving in together and getting married, we have both gained. I’m up about 10 pounds in two years. It’s so easy to be convinced to order a pizza or have that second drink. And he likes to keep sweets around for dessert, something I would never do when living alone. For those that have overcome this, how did you do it?

13 Allison @ Food For Healing May 6, 2010

basically we don’t have any forbidden foods. we’ve been eating ice cream a fair amount, but all in moderation. This way we are less likely to binge. Also we don’t really eat meat, only seafood, and we don’t eat junk or fast food because its not worth it for the amount of calories thats really in it. We’ve fallen off the wagon time and time again, we’re only human. but we’ve worked out something that seems to be working for us now. We dont exercise too much so the weightloss is purely diet related, so it is very possible to still lose weight if you just watch what you eat.

basically the way i look at it is if you have something “bad” don’t sweat it! everything (almost) is good in moderation!

best of luck to you if you are looking to lose.

14 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 6, 2010

I totally think this is true, especially for married couples! We really only fell into this trap once, and luckily it was for a very short time.

15 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 6, 2010

What I noticed in high school that most of the group of friends all had the same body type. Whether they were super thin, slightly overweight or very obese. It was really interesting to see. Once we all went to college many people’s weights have changed. My best friend’s is generally on the rise (minus when she goes on a sudden work out craze after breaking up with a boyfriend) and my weight has been on a steady decline.

16 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self May 6, 2010

My husband and I both gained some weight when we first got married. I’ve lost most of it, and now he’s starting to lose some too. I think it’s definitely true that you tend to eat in sync with your partner, so if one is over-indulging, the other will too. Fortunately it works the other way as well; if one switches to healthier choices, chances are high the other will too!

17 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 6, 2010

I definitely gained a lot of weight when I got with my current boyfriend, and he’s put on 20 or so pounds. I’ve really changed my eating and exercise habits dramatically over the last year and have shed 50 and am at my lowest weight since… middle school!? But it hasn’t caught on with him yet…

18 Wei-Wei May 6, 2010

Go Eric! That’s awesome :D I’ve never been in a relationship, so I wouldn’t know. I’d imagine that it’d be pretty hard eating separately! I guess the key is moderation, portion control and slight alterations. Besides that, I wouldn’t know :P

I love that awesome salad… Yum! :)

Have a great night!

Wei-Wei

19 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 6, 2010

I wish I lived close I would apply. :)
I would say me and my husband have lost weight together over our 12 year relationship. We were both at our highest weight when we met and the most unhealthy. As the years went by we started working out, eating healthy, and learning about helathy living together. We still continue on that path together.

20 shelly May 6, 2010

I definitely gained weight with my ex-husband. All he ever wanted to do was eat out and drink beer and when I tried to diet, he’d come home with a big bag full of junk food and I didn’t have the self control to ignore it. I like to think that I’d be stronger now, but I don’t really have to be tested because my fiance leads a really healthy life. I’m the one who picked up his healthy habits over the years and now even I’m more into nutrition and fitness than he is. :)

I really wanted to post a new recipe for you though, Angela. All the bananas on your blog have had me craving bananas, so tonight I made banana pudding with chia seeds and it tastes remarkably like the real thing.
I just sliced half a banana in the bottom of a bowl, added 2 Tbsp of chia seeds, some vanilla (I just squirted it in there, maybe 1/4-1/2 a tsp) and a squirt of agave. I then added 7 TBSP of almond milk and let it gel up in the fridge. (I had to stir it once so it would gel evenly b/c of the banana slices though.)
I topped it with granola and am eating it now. So yummy! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

21 nut May 6, 2010

First of all that salad looks amazing…I will def. have to recreate. Wish I had your skills and a good camera though.

Next, interesting question. Regardless, I think you both look great. You have a cutie for a hubby :) Lucky girl.

22 Rachel May 6, 2010

My boyfriend and I have done the exact opposite in terms of weight since we’ve been together.

I was just starting to learn all about healthy living when we got together and fell in love with it.

Since we’ve been together I’ve lost around 25-30 lbs.

He grew up in the country and was very very active in sports growing up. Now he works full time in an office and isn’t as active as he used to be.

I don’t really notice it because we are together all the time, and he’s still sexy to me!

23 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 6, 2010

Not for me and my husband. We’ve sort of compromised and he’s lost it while I’ve gained. I guess my healthy eating has rubbed off on him while his junk food habit hasn’t been so good for me. Ah, marriage. I think we’re on the way to fully eating like me, though.

24 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place May 6, 2010

172 pounds at 6’2? wow, Eric is doing amazingly well!!! Your hubby is lookin’ good, Angela!! :)

25 Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010

Thanks Morgan!

26 Grace aka Triathlonbabe May 6, 2010

That salad looks so refreshing, YUM!

My hubby has always been one of those at an ideal weight, however, the years are catching up to him and just within the last couple of years has he taken on a new attitude in wanting to better his nutrition and fitness opinions. It’s working, his cholesterol is down, his high blood pressure is down and I believe his waist line is where it needs to be. Just wish he’d cut back in the brew….teehee! We kind of work this little lifestyle change together and it seems to work well.

Way to go ERIC and ANGELA!

27 Stephanee May 6, 2010

I just bought some Garden of Eatin chips for the first time! I do really like them.

28 kate May 6, 2010

When my boyfriend & I moved in together we both gained a lot of weight. When I started to get healthy he lost a little bit of weight, but he still tends to flexuate back & forth. We are definitely a more active couple now, though!

29 Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 6, 2010

Oh my gosh, I have so had the experience of gaining/losing weight with a partner. When I met my husband, we both got “happy fat” meaning that we fell in love, went to restaurants and made googly eyes at each other, and both gained weight. Flash forward five years later, we got married and finally started our journey to health. It made all the difference to have a partner in my transformation.

30 CK May 6, 2010

YES! Especially if you live with someone, it is pretty tough not to go through phases together. I certainly did. Especially when one person’s tastes/health-habits are totally different than the other’s. I used to practically make two dinners and then got so tired of it I would just eat whatever he did…and it did NOT burn off of me like it did from him! The male metabolism is SO unfair! Ha.

31 Maria @ a Healthier Maria May 6, 2010

oh my gosh. Minus the carrots that seems like THE perfect salad! I am going to copy you very soon (& probably repeatedly).

& to answer your question no…but probably because I have never had a boyfriend that serious! & my friends are all pretty health conscious but there seems to be always someone who is concerned with weight gain or loss every once & a while & no one’s ever seem to overlap (& we have spent a LOT of time together over the past years).

32 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle May 6, 2010

Such cute pictures, you always look great! My boyfriend has been trying to gain weight ever since I met him. When he first got a job, we both gained weight (though mine was significantly more) because we started going out all the time. Eventually I adjusted.. though I can’t lie, having his metabolism would be pretty nice ;).

33 Amber K May 6, 2010

I was about 200 pounds when I met my husband, I had a surgery right after that and afterwards was about 250 pounds from eating junk and not ever moving. After we got married, we started being healthier and I have gotten down to about 150.

He was about 330 when we met and has gotten down to about 290. So we were definitely bigger together and now that we are eating healthier we are smaller together.

34 Camille May 6, 2010

That is one yummy looking summer salad!

35 brittany May 6, 2010

Me and my boyfriend both gained 20(+) pounds together over 3 years. I’ve thankfully lost the weight but he still hasn’t. It is true that boys LOVE JUNK FOOD. It’s so hard to eat with him because I always try to make good healthy food choices and he sometimes sabotages my diet :)

36 Lin May 6, 2010

In response to the question you posed at the end of your Banana Pancake Sandwich post, I thought you might find this interesting… I am pasting the link. It’s called “Operation Beautiful.” http://operationbeautiful.com/about-2/ :)

37 Lauren M. May 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I definitely gain/lose weight in sync. Right now we’re both losing. We love exercising together and making healthy meals together. We look HOT! haha.

38 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 7, 2010

It is so hard to live with someone and not pick up each others dietary habits. Especially if someone wants to eat healthy and the other person doesn´t, it can be really awkward for both parties and get in the way of the relationhsip. Especially if people are competitive about it. I am actually really nervous to live with a man for this reason but I suppose that if the love and the trust are there, that everything else will work out :)

39 Salina May 7, 2010

My hubby and I are opposites when is comes to loosing/gaining weight. When I gain, he loses. When I lose, he gains. We put it down to when I gain weight it means I’m eating more of his share of meals, and then when I start loosing it, he’s eating my leftovers.. Its the only thing that sucks about being part of a large family, you get used to making lots of everything! Even worse is having a grandfather who lived through the great depression and did not believe in waste!

40 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 7, 2010

That salad looks great! Sometimes fresh food is exactly what I want, I should try this combo! And love the dressing too, I’m really getting into making home made dressings :)

Eric looks great! I love how you have inspired him to live healthier. The other day Nick proclaimed he was giving up his afternoon pop/energy drinks in favor of looseleaf green tea! It’s s start!

I was pretty much by myself gaining/losing weight- the boyf has a ridiculous metabolism, so he doesn’t really have to worry about it, but we are definitely getting healthier together! He eats way less meat now, I’m so proud of him :)

xo
K

41 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale May 7, 2010

I definitely think that when my husband and I first lived together, I adopted some of his eating/drinking habits. I found myself putting back more wine than usual, as well as eating larger portions of richer foods.
I don’t know if I gained weight, but I started feeling lethargic and unhappy. I realized I needed to get back to eating the way that made me feel good (light, frequent meals of good-for-you stuff) in order to be my best self again!

42 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow May 7, 2010

My fiance has the metabolism of superman. It’s ridiculous actually. But, he is VERY health conscious and feels better when he is eating well and working out.

I have been the one who’s weight has fluctuated over the years. But as I’ve developed a new relationship with food through intuitive eating, I’ve been able to learn so much from him. He truly does care for his body and has such a balanced view towards food. He has taught me a ton!

43 Kristy May 7, 2010

This defiantly happened to us! I gained, he slowly gain. I began to eat healthier/workout = lost weight and at some point he began his baby steps. Last week he grabbed a bottle of water without me suggesting it, HUGE Accomplishment for him! Water was never part of his diet before. Life is better when couples are in sync and best when the sync is healthy. Now, I have a running buddy and I love it. He is so motivating! Never thought about it till you pointed this out ;-)

44 kalli@fitandfortysomething May 7, 2010

i definitely think couples affect eachother for the positive or negative……

45 Jen May 7, 2010

Thanks so much for the shout out, Angela! Overnight oats are my new fav! I love how they are just waiting there for you when you wake up! :)

Your salad looks amazing! My mouth is literally watering. I love trying different salads and making my own dressing. It took me a long time to realize that salads do NOT have to be boring!

46 Paige @ Running Around Normal May 7, 2010

Ow ow! Eric looks great, Angela! You guys are doing great.
I don’t think my husband and I gain or lose weight together. For the past few years, my weight has remained constant, or at my happy weight. My husband’s tends to go up and down, as he’s so busy with work. He works out when he has time, and then won’t for a month when work picks up and is super busy.

47 Stacy May 7, 2010

Garden of Eatin Tortilla Chips + Me = BFFs 4 Eva!

My husband and I have definitely gained and lost together. It’s a very symbiotic relationship that we have ;-)

He lost some weight after I started cooking much healthier meals. The only problem is when I’m NOT cooking for him. That’s when he goes a little bananas. When we order Chinese, I get steamed food without sauce. He gets fried chicken and pork fried rice. And last week he went out for lunch with coworkers and ate cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake. We’re all human, I guess.

He also hates all aerobic activity. I wish he’d run with me, but I don’t think that’ll ever happen, ha. The best I can hope for is to get his butt out on the tennis courts more this summer.

48 S May 7, 2010

Just saw this article and thought of your recent post on jealousy…

49 kimmy May 7, 2010

Angela – I know you have said before that being at that weight made you unhappy, but I have to say that you were STILL insanly beautiful!

50 Jess May 7, 2010

I think the BF and I definitely go through healthy/not healthy eating cycles. When I cook we eat healthy, but the BF likes to go out to eat a lot. So there’s definitely room for improvement.

51 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 7, 2010

oh yes . . . my bf and I have been at our highest weights together and our lowest. But it is hard to tell because we see each other everyday. The highest was in college and the lowest is now.

52 Jill May 7, 2010

My husband has an amazing metabolism. I do most of the cooking and try to focus on healthy eating; however, I’ve noticed as of late that the food I make that helps me stay healthy and full of energy is not enough for my husband. He’s lost weight recently and he’s as thin, if not thinner, than he was in his adolecent years (15 years ago!). In other words, too thin. I try to make more of a meal and encourage him to eat more, but he needs different foods to make himself feel healthy than I do. So, in a long answer to your question, yes, I do believe couples gain and lose weight together. Mainly because they end up eating many of the same meals. However, they vary in the amount gained/lost. I’m still searching for a way for both of us to be healthy.

53 Susan May 7, 2010

When Chris and I were going out, we definitely gained and lost together. I hate to say it – but he was the influencer in the gaining and I was the influencer in the losing! :P Not purposely of course, I just ate and drank what he did, which is far too much for a 5’7 girl. When I started training for the triathlon, he stared cycling with me and we both lost weight. I like to think I got him eating a little healthier. Although – he got me eating hamburgers again!! :P

54 Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion May 7, 2010

Adam and I gained weight and lost weight together too! We both gained a lot of weight after we met and now (12 years later)I have lost the weight and so had he.

55 Shannon May 7, 2010

Oh, SO true! My husband used to love heavy meals and I always obliged, especially when we were newlyweds. However, we just moved into a new place and are talking about babies and are both focused on trying to get healthier. I have bought a lot less “junk” and more veggies and am giving him exercise tips. It’s wonderful

56 highonhealthy May 7, 2010

I’ve never gained weight with another person but I’ve gained weight due to being FRIENDS with another person. She was always telling me to just eat whatever.. and I did.. and gained almost 20 pounds. I love her to death but a part of me thinks her encouragement wasn’t as innocent as it seemed at the time.

You two look great and I can definitely see the difference in Eric. You must be so proud of him. :D

57 Lizz (Leading the Good Life) May 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I definitely gained weight when we first moved in together. I think this happens a lot – you feel the need to cook big, comforting meals to share together in your new home. Luckily, we were both able to lose together, too! I think it was total motivation to see the other lose weight and get into shape. We realized we were happier that way, too.

Now that you mention it, the last few seasons of The Biggest Loser have been done in couples (married, parent/child, cousins, friends, etc.) I wonder if we could tell if there were better results this way? I love the show, but I have some gripes about it (if you’re interested, you can see my last post). This ‘couples’ thing might be interesting to look at!

58 Jennifer May 7, 2010

Yup, I think we both gained after getting married but we are both on a healthy track right now thank goodness!!

59 Jen May 7, 2010

My husband’s weight and my weight definitely cycle up and down together. I do most of the cooking so when I’m on a healthy cooking kick, we naturally shed pounds; when I’m stressed and don’t want to cook, we gain pounds. Even though we’ve been together for almost 15 years, we’ve only been married 4, and we’ve definitely both gained since we got hitched. I think it’s also coincided with our lifestyles becoming busier though – we’re both working longer hours and not wanting to plan/cook as much, and no matter how healthy you try to eat on the go, it’s bound to catch up with you. We’re working on it though! Now that the weather is nicer we’re getting back into the habit of taking hour long power walks after dinner, and we’re trying to utilize more fruits & veggies which is easier to do now that more are in season. We’ll find our balance eventually!

60 Noelle May 8, 2010

Hi Angela! Great post! My husband and I both gained weight together after getting married and it actually started after we started dating. I ditched my vegetarian way of eating and followed his and together we gained weight. We are now keeping each other accountable and are weighing in together and losing weight together! It has been a great inspiration but it truly affects for better or for worse!

61 Autumn Tao May 8, 2010

First–Love the new banner, just got a look since I am googlereader user. Nice job.

Second–You and your husband make a beautiful couple, and by that I mean not just your athletic, toned bods, but your wonderful spirits and energies too. You are such an inspiration.

62 Nichole May 8, 2010

I wish I had the same problem my live-in boyfriend does. Whenever he doesn’t work out he loses weight. He’s just naturally thin like a rail.

Your salad dressing looked so good, so I tried it last night on a salad (http://veganniche.blogspot.com/2010/05/garlic-daiya-pizza-chips-and-salad.html). Yum, thanks!

63 Maighen May 11, 2010

We actually traded weights almost to the pound. I was 5’6″ and 175 (which was good for me since I have PCOS and have always been heavy) and he was 6’5″ and 235, which I never thought looked bad at all. Within a year of us meeting and marrying (9 mos into the relationship, and now about to be 5yrs as Mr. & Mrs!), he got down to 180 and I ballooned up to 240. ACK! My problem was eating all the crap he ate (at first before he went polar opposite) as often as he ate it added with the stress of nursing school. All I did was eat, sleep, and study for 3 years! Ugh! He started eating less and less and running on his lunch breaks instead of eating (mostly because we were broke while I was in school and running kept his mind off eating), and he got quite thin, really. He looked amazing, but he felt horrible all the time. I looked AND felt horrible! At some point we met in the middle at 200 a piece, but I now seem to be stuck in the 220s, which is where he was himself until about 6 months ago when he started working out religiously and eating basically nothing but chicken, broccoli, protein powder, and eggs every day. He’s got an addictive personality (gave up smoking and drinking, picked up obsessive working out…. which is better…. I guess…) that lets him do that without problem, but I can only go a couple days with restrictive eating before I end up splurging on badness. lol I’m finally being treated for my PCOS and low thyroid, so at least I’ve stopped gaining every time I smell food. :) Now I just have to work on actually eating more than once or twice a day, since that’s just as bad as overeating (more so in my case because of the hormone imbalances). I’m hoping that once my hormones get in check I’ll actually have enough energy to start walking daily again. As it is now, the only thing I ever want to do is sleep… soooo exhausted all time! Ugh! Any way, good luck to everyone out there trying to meet their fitness goals. My attitude about it gets worse the more he gets obsessed with working out for some reason, so I’m just going to have to put on my big girl britches, suck it up, and get my fat a$$ in gear! :)

64 DCVegan June 6, 2010

I know this is a few weeks old, but I’m still new to this site. Anyway, holy hell yes this is sooooooooo the case for me!!! I moved in with my roommate 2 years ago, and she is larger than I am, I have always been thin, but these past two years I’ve gained about 20 pounds!! I am still not fat by other peoples standards, but to me I am not at my comfortable weight. I have gone up in numbers, but really I go by how my clothes fit, and just about most of my wardrobe does not fit me anymore :-( so damn depressing!!! So I am loving your site and all of your amazing recipes and tips!! I went shopping yesterday and got chia seeds, and the amazing grass, and coconut oil or butter, not sure which one it is hahah but so excited to start cookin away!!

65 Lauren July 22, 2010

My boyfriend of 6 years and I have had the exact same experience! We were both a little on the chubby side when we first started dating, but we gained about 60 pounds each over the course of a couple years. I started Weight Watchers, and I dropped 20 pounds. Without much effort, he lost 30! Since then, we’ve both lost almost 30 more. He’s thinner than he’s ever been, and I’m finally back to my college weight. I still have 20-30 more pounds to go, but we look and live SO differently.

66 Kathryn September 14, 2010

My husband (who is a foot taller than me!) and I totally gained weight together after getting married – A LOT OF WEIGHT. We called it the yummy phase, it lasted a while. We are still in the recovery! Ha ha! We were so happy and married (and young, 22 and 23) we just got a new house in an area with a lot of resturants. We ate out a lot, lots of garbage food and we gained and gained. One day we finally said this is insane. We’ve been slowly working our way down the scale together, more seriously in the last year 2 years. We are almost to wedding weight area 6 years later. The good thing about having a PIC (partner in crime) is that he is also my PIH (partner in health). We do yoga together, cook more inthe house, keep each other on the up and up to eat well and we’ve even started training for a couch to 5K together.

67 Shardae "The Sukkar Chef" September 20, 2010

Great post, I definitely gained weight with my husband. Neither of us noticed until we decided to treat ourselves to some new clothes and were *SHOCKED* when we couldn’t fit our old sizes! We are working together to lost the weight now, and it helps that he is along for the ride.

68 Jamie Lynn October 2, 2010

Interesting question! I have eaten healthy my whole life until I met my Sweetie, who is Greek. After that I ate what he ate, white rice, white bread, sweets, lots of heavy meat, few vegetables and olive oil like it was a beverage. I gained 50 lbs and he gained 100, living our carefree being-in-love life. After 6 years, I have us both on a mainly vegetarian diet, mostly vegan we we are both feeling good. We have switched to my old way of eating and away from his. He has always had a weight issue but I didn’t. He is loving the food.

Thanks for a great and inspiring website!

69 Garcinia Cambogia Review April 7, 2013

I think this is among the most important info for me.

And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

70 natalia May 14, 2015

aw i just wanna say how adorable you guys are. the way he looks at you, the way you guys touch each other, in every pic. that’s real love. i have never had that, i pray one day :)
i have been more and more plant-based only for weeks and i can’t believe how much better i feel (and look!). i was veggie for four years but vegan and lots of raw is totally different. my gut and mind are so much happier. my journey was much like yours, never grossly overweight, sometimes real skinny due to stress and dieting and exercising that i didn’t love. struggling on the inside. going to look into your recipes now, keep up the wonderful work!