Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Hello :)

Oh boy, was I dragging today!

I felt like I was going in slow motion. Everything I did took twice as long as normal. Must have killed a few brain cells when I hit my head this morning. ;)

For dinner tonight, I was craving veggies in a mad way. I wanted something raw, crisp, and fresh.

IMG 6292 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

and energizing…

IMG 6299 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

The Big Summer Salad:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 English cuke, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped
  • 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
  • Serve over a bed of mashed cooked chickpeas (I used 1 cup)

The kicker was this awesome homemade salad dressing!

IMG 6289 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Sweet & Tangy All-Purpose Dressing:

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp regular mustard
  • 3 tbsp regular vinegar (any kind would work though)
  • Small pinch sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp or less of pure maple syrup (to taste)
  • 1/4-1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Pinch or two of Italian Seasoning (I used Presidents Choice Sun-dried tomato mix)

Directions: Mix above ingredients and pour over veggies!

IMG 6304 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I loooooved this dressing!! I can’t believe I have been buying salad dressing all these years. I have had such fantastic results with both that I have made (see Better than Bottled here).

IMG 62982 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I had this with a bowl of my favourite chips in the WORLD!!!

IMG 6315 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Dessert- An Adore Glo Bar:

IMG 6309 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

I found out that Eric is the LOWEST weight he has been since high school!

He weighs himself every week or two and he told me this morning that he weighed in at 172 pounds (he is 6 foot 2)! His highest weight was in university-he weighed 210 pounds. I can’t believe how much weight he has lost. I guess I didn’t realize it because I see him everyday but when I look at old pictures, I can totally see the change.

These pictures were taken in 2005 which was near his highest weight. My weight was always going up and down throughout university due to the binge-starve cycle I was trapped in. So glad I beat that.

All of these pictures are from 2005:

Picture009 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

We were definitely the type of couple that gained weight together. I ate what he ate, he ate what I ate. We both ate lots of pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, and frozen foods.

Picture038 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

Picture098 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

crop4 thumb   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

172 pounds:

IMG 0709 thumb1   Do Couples Gain Weight and Lose Weight Together?

So proud of him. :)

Tonight’s question: Have you ever gained weight ‘in sync’ with another person like a partner, roommate, family member or friend? Have you ever lost weight with another person?

Updates:

• Farmer’s Market Hiring: Glo Bakery is hiring energetic and passionate individuals to work at the Harbourside Organic Farmer’s Market in Oakville this summer! If you are in the Milton or Oakville area and would like to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to resume@globakery.com by tomorrow, Friday May 7th. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you to all who apply!
  • vegan overnight oats spotting!

Ciao!

Jenny May 6, 2010

Yes! Guys eat so differently, and it’s easy to let them cook for you… but they don’t make meals like the one you ate tonight!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 6, 2010

i definitely gained weight when my hubby and i got married…and i’m still in the process of trying to lose that. the thing is, it’s a lot harder because he’s not quite as dedicated to it as i am. definitely causes a lot of nights of pizza still, but there are nights of great salmon and salad dishes too. i really like this post though and will be showing it to my hubby :)

Charity May 6, 2010

Rock on, Eric! I’ve been losing weight on WeightWatchers over this past year, but my husband stays pretty much the same. He has a much better sense of feeling hungry & full than I do.

Ashley May 6, 2010

Hmmm, I guess in college I probably gained weight not with Chris but someone as a result of him..which sounds weird. But, I was hanging out with him all of the time and his guy friends who eat + drink more than I was used to. I didn’t gain a lot of weight but definitely put some on…I think it was just a college phase. I was still working out a lot and very strong but just with a little extra weight on me. I also gained weight from having 2 roommates that had eating problems. I mean it was my own fault for gaining the weight..but they cooked a lot of food, mostly baked goods..and would leave it for “everyone” to share..but I was the only one that would actually eat it. Chris gained quite a bit of weight from a job he had where he went out to lunch with the guys everyday to some grease-fest restaurant. During the 1.5yrs he worked that job he gained 15lbs! Within 6mo of him getting laid off he had lost about 10lbs of that..he’s much more active now, especially since we live in CO. He lost the rest of the weight, without even trying [dang boys!!] and probably even a little more. It is crazy to think about the influences cause weight gains + losses!

Heather May 6, 2010

My hubby has gained @ 30 lbs since we’ve been married and I’ve been about the same-a bit less actually.
I attribute his gain to working nights, stress of his job and good ole cerveza!
For me-health has been a priority forever and since I am gluten, egg, and dairy intolerant I CAN’T eat or drink what he does.

Jenny May 6, 2010

I gained weight when I first moved in with my boyfriend, but then I took charge. I even get him to eat some veggies!
I lose and gain weight with my twin, though. We are states apart but we still go through similar phases.

And PLEASE tell me how to make mashed chick peas. I know it’s easy, but I have failed multiple times. HELP!

Kirsten May 6, 2010

Love this post! I would definitely say that with all my more past serious relationships I have gained weight. Ended up eating what they eat…not good. With my current boyfriend I’m trying to take control of the cooking more, so I know what we are eating!

Lisa May 6, 2010

When I moved in with the BF I gained some weight. I started eating like he did (pizza, drinking, popcorn, junk!!!). That came to a stop recently.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 6, 2010

I think that is true, for sure. I think the key is moderation.. enjoy yourself but balance it with mostly healthy choices!

Kari @ Adventures in Newlywedland May 6, 2010

Totally! My husband and I have both gained weight since our wedding in September. Me much more than him. Too much. Ugh.

Allison @ Food For Healing May 6, 2010

we definitely both gained some weight together, but we’ve been losing it together now. My boyfriend is having a much greater success than me.. its really depressing! but i am proud of him.

Erin May 6, 2010

This has definitely been the case for me! We were both very thin when we met several years ago, but since moving in together and getting married, we have both gained. I’m up about 10 pounds in two years. It’s so easy to be convinced to order a pizza or have that second drink. And he likes to keep sweets around for dessert, something I would never do when living alone. For those that have overcome this, how did you do it?

Allison @ Food For Healing May 6, 2010

basically we don’t have any forbidden foods. we’ve been eating ice cream a fair amount, but all in moderation. This way we are less likely to binge. Also we don’t really eat meat, only seafood, and we don’t eat junk or fast food because its not worth it for the amount of calories thats really in it. We’ve fallen off the wagon time and time again, we’re only human. but we’ve worked out something that seems to be working for us now. We dont exercise too much so the weightloss is purely diet related, so it is very possible to still lose weight if you just watch what you eat.

basically the way i look at it is if you have something “bad” don’t sweat it! everything (almost) is good in moderation!

best of luck to you if you are looking to lose.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 6, 2010

I totally think this is true, especially for married couples! We really only fell into this trap once, and luckily it was for a very short time.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 6, 2010

What I noticed in high school that most of the group of friends all had the same body type. Whether they were super thin, slightly overweight or very obese. It was really interesting to see. Once we all went to college many people’s weights have changed. My best friend’s is generally on the rise (minus when she goes on a sudden work out craze after breaking up with a boyfriend) and my weight has been on a steady decline.

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self May 6, 2010

My husband and I both gained some weight when we first got married. I’ve lost most of it, and now he’s starting to lose some too. I think it’s definitely true that you tend to eat in sync with your partner, so if one is over-indulging, the other will too. Fortunately it works the other way as well; if one switches to healthier choices, chances are high the other will too!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 6, 2010

I definitely gained a lot of weight when I got with my current boyfriend, and he’s put on 20 or so pounds. I’ve really changed my eating and exercise habits dramatically over the last year and have shed 50 and am at my lowest weight since… middle school!? But it hasn’t caught on with him yet…

Wei-Wei May 6, 2010

Go Eric! That’s awesome :D I’ve never been in a relationship, so I wouldn’t know. I’d imagine that it’d be pretty hard eating separately! I guess the key is moderation, portion control and slight alterations. Besides that, I wouldn’t know :P

I love that awesome salad… Yum! :)

Have a great night!

Wei-Wei

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 6, 2010

I wish I lived close I would apply. :)
I would say me and my husband have lost weight together over our 12 year relationship. We were both at our highest weight when we met and the most unhealthy. As the years went by we started working out, eating healthy, and learning about helathy living together. We still continue on that path together.

shelly May 6, 2010

I definitely gained weight with my ex-husband. All he ever wanted to do was eat out and drink beer and when I tried to diet, he’d come home with a big bag full of junk food and I didn’t have the self control to ignore it. I like to think that I’d be stronger now, but I don’t really have to be tested because my fiance leads a really healthy life. I’m the one who picked up his healthy habits over the years and now even I’m more into nutrition and fitness than he is. :)

I really wanted to post a new recipe for you though, Angela. All the bananas on your blog have had me craving bananas, so tonight I made banana pudding with chia seeds and it tastes remarkably like the real thing.
I just sliced half a banana in the bottom of a bowl, added 2 Tbsp of chia seeds, some vanilla (I just squirted it in there, maybe 1/4-1/2 a tsp) and a squirt of agave. I then added 7 TBSP of almond milk and let it gel up in the fridge. (I had to stir it once so it would gel evenly b/c of the banana slices though.)
I topped it with granola and am eating it now. So yummy! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

nut May 6, 2010

First of all that salad looks amazing…I will def. have to recreate. Wish I had your skills and a good camera though.

Next, interesting question. Regardless, I think you both look great. You have a cutie for a hubby :) Lucky girl.

Rachel May 6, 2010

My boyfriend and I have done the exact opposite in terms of weight since we’ve been together.

I was just starting to learn all about healthy living when we got together and fell in love with it.

Since we’ve been together I’ve lost around 25-30 lbs.

He grew up in the country and was very very active in sports growing up. Now he works full time in an office and isn’t as active as he used to be.

I don’t really notice it because we are together all the time, and he’s still sexy to me!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 6, 2010

Not for me and my husband. We’ve sort of compromised and he’s lost it while I’ve gained. I guess my healthy eating has rubbed off on him while his junk food habit hasn’t been so good for me. Ah, marriage. I think we’re on the way to fully eating like me, though.

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place May 6, 2010

172 pounds at 6’2? wow, Eric is doing amazingly well!!! Your hubby is lookin’ good, Angela!! :)

Angela (ohsheglows) May 7, 2010

Thanks Morgan!

Grace aka Triathlonbabe May 6, 2010

That salad looks so refreshing, YUM!

My hubby has always been one of those at an ideal weight, however, the years are catching up to him and just within the last couple of years has he taken on a new attitude in wanting to better his nutrition and fitness opinions. It’s working, his cholesterol is down, his high blood pressure is down and I believe his waist line is where it needs to be. Just wish he’d cut back in the brew….teehee! We kind of work this little lifestyle change together and it seems to work well.

Way to go ERIC and ANGELA!

Stephanee May 6, 2010

I just bought some Garden of Eatin chips for the first time! I do really like them.

kate May 6, 2010

When my boyfriend & I moved in together we both gained a lot of weight. When I started to get healthy he lost a little bit of weight, but he still tends to flexuate back & forth. We are definitely a more active couple now, though!

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 6, 2010

Oh my gosh, I have so had the experience of gaining/losing weight with a partner. When I met my husband, we both got “happy fat” meaning that we fell in love, went to restaurants and made googly eyes at each other, and both gained weight. Flash forward five years later, we got married and finally started our journey to health. It made all the difference to have a partner in my transformation.

CK May 6, 2010

YES! Especially if you live with someone, it is pretty tough not to go through phases together. I certainly did. Especially when one person’s tastes/health-habits are totally different than the other’s. I used to practically make two dinners and then got so tired of it I would just eat whatever he did…and it did NOT burn off of me like it did from him! The male metabolism is SO unfair! Ha.

Maria @ a Healthier Maria May 6, 2010

oh my gosh. Minus the carrots that seems like THE perfect salad! I am going to copy you very soon (& probably repeatedly).

& to answer your question no…but probably because I have never had a boyfriend that serious! & my friends are all pretty health conscious but there seems to be always someone who is concerned with weight gain or loss every once & a while & no one’s ever seem to overlap (& we have spent a LOT of time together over the past years).

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle May 6, 2010

Such cute pictures, you always look great! My boyfriend has been trying to gain weight ever since I met him. When he first got a job, we both gained weight (though mine was significantly more) because we started going out all the time. Eventually I adjusted.. though I can’t lie, having his metabolism would be pretty nice ;).

Amber K May 6, 2010

I was about 200 pounds when I met my husband, I had a surgery right after that and afterwards was about 250 pounds from eating junk and not ever moving. After we got married, we started being healthier and I have gotten down to about 150.

He was about 330 when we met and has gotten down to about 290. So we were definitely bigger together and now that we are eating healthier we are smaller together.

Camille May 6, 2010

That is one yummy looking summer salad!

brittany May 6, 2010

Me and my boyfriend both gained 20(+) pounds together over 3 years. I’ve thankfully lost the weight but he still hasn’t. It is true that boys LOVE JUNK FOOD. It’s so hard to eat with him because I always try to make good healthy food choices and he sometimes sabotages my diet :)

Lin May 6, 2010

In response to the question you posed at the end of your Banana Pancake Sandwich post, I thought you might find this interesting… I am pasting the link. It’s called “Operation Beautiful.” http://operationbeautiful.com/about-2/ :)

Lauren M. May 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I definitely gain/lose weight in sync. Right now we’re both losing. We love exercising together and making healthy meals together. We look HOT! haha.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 7, 2010

It is so hard to live with someone and not pick up each others dietary habits. Especially if someone wants to eat healthy and the other person doesn´t, it can be really awkward for both parties and get in the way of the relationhsip. Especially if people are competitive about it. I am actually really nervous to live with a man for this reason but I suppose that if the love and the trust are there, that everything else will work out :)

Salina May 7, 2010

My hubby and I are opposites when is comes to loosing/gaining weight. When I gain, he loses. When I lose, he gains. We put it down to when I gain weight it means I’m eating more of his share of meals, and then when I start loosing it, he’s eating my leftovers.. Its the only thing that sucks about being part of a large family, you get used to making lots of everything! Even worse is having a grandfather who lived through the great depression and did not believe in waste!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 7, 2010

That salad looks great! Sometimes fresh food is exactly what I want, I should try this combo! And love the dressing too, I’m really getting into making home made dressings :)

Eric looks great! I love how you have inspired him to live healthier. The other day Nick proclaimed he was giving up his afternoon pop/energy drinks in favor of looseleaf green tea! It’s s start!

I was pretty much by myself gaining/losing weight- the boyf has a ridiculous metabolism, so he doesn’t really have to worry about it, but we are definitely getting healthier together! He eats way less meat now, I’m so proud of him :)

xo
K

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale May 7, 2010

I definitely think that when my husband and I first lived together, I adopted some of his eating/drinking habits. I found myself putting back more wine than usual, as well as eating larger portions of richer foods.
I don’t know if I gained weight, but I started feeling lethargic and unhappy. I realized I needed to get back to eating the way that made me feel good (light, frequent meals of good-for-you stuff) in order to be my best self again!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow May 7, 2010

My fiance has the metabolism of superman. It’s ridiculous actually. But, he is VERY health conscious and feels better when he is eating well and working out.

I have been the one who’s weight has fluctuated over the years. But as I’ve developed a new relationship with food through intuitive eating, I’ve been able to learn so much from him. He truly does care for his body and has such a balanced view towards food. He has taught me a ton!

Kristy May 7, 2010

This defiantly happened to us! I gained, he slowly gain. I began to eat healthier/workout = lost weight and at some point he began his baby steps. Last week he grabbed a bottle of water without me suggesting it, HUGE Accomplishment for him! Water was never part of his diet before. Life is better when couples are in sync and best when the sync is healthy. Now, I have a running buddy and I love it. He is so motivating! Never thought about it till you pointed this out ;-)

Page 1 of 212»