How To Inspire

Bonjour, bonjour!

Trucking-along-Tuesday…

Mid-morning I had another lemon + ginger + H20 juice.

IMG_6066

I have determined that my headaches this past week are probably related to female hormones instead of dehydration, but I figured another juice couldn’t hurt! ;)

IMG_6067

I always feel better after a power drink of lemon and ginger! Ginger is good for the tummy and lemon is detoxifying.

Lunch was savoury avocado toast with tomato paste, an juicy, mouth-watering orange, and crunchy Mary’s Crackers:

IMG_6076

Do you guys ever get a funky avocado? Sometimes, I get one and it FEELS ripe (i.e. squishy), but when I cut it, water drips out and it tastes flavourless. Hrmph!

IMG_6070

My afternoon snack was a Golden Delicious apple with cashew butter- otherwise known as my favourite nut butter in the WORLD. Creamy and sweet, what is not to like?

IMG_6077

I had a productive work day but I am no where near being close to caught up for tomorrow. The orders were just flooding in today due to the Adore Glo Bar sale and Mother’s Day coming up. I didn’t have time for a lunch workout, but Eric and I are going to go outside to exercise when he gets home!

I’m hoping we can do a brick workout– and this would be Eric’s first brick. Let me tell you though, he is not excited to run. It’s a shame really- he has these long, gazelle-type legs– you know, the kind of legs that were just MEANT to run? :mrgreen: I would kill for his legs. (Did I just type that?). I know in my heart that he could be an awesome runner, but of course he has to want to do it!

I will let him call the shots on the run- obviously he can stop when he wants and walk when he wants to! I don’t want to scare him off… ;)

Other plans for tonight include working on my website re-design and catching up on last night’s gossip girl. Here is a clue about my website redesign- I am getting rid of the horrid, horrid yellow! Blech. I have not liked the colour scheme after I changed it from that soothing blue (my long-time readers might remember!). I just never had the time to fix it, but I can tell you, I can’t wait for the new design.

Tonight’s questions: Have you ever been successful in motivating someone to make healthy lifestyle changes? What are your secrets? OR are you currently trying to encourage someone to make changes, but are not having much luck?

See you tomorrow morning for a reader request post on a problem with a jealous friend!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jil May 5, 2010

I have! haha My brother told me that my blog and weightloss have inspired him to be healthier! It was such a great feeling to hear that.

Ilana May 5, 2010

Yesterday, my best friend told me that reading my blog inspired her to want to start running again and actually be serious about making healthy lifestyle choices! I couldn’t believe it! I dreamed of inspiring SOMEONE when I started my blog but I didn’t know my REAL LIFE best friend even read my blog, let alone that she could be inspired by it. It was the best feeling ever.

Lauren May 5, 2010

I think I scare people into making lifestyle changes- I am very intense. lol Nevertheless, it usually works! muahaha

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 5, 2010

I get the worst hormonal headaches that time of the month. Every month I wonder why I have a week of headaches. And each time my husband reminds me that this happened last month. It really is no fair, considering the other pain that’s happening. Grr.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2010

Yup that is SO me! Every month!

Kate May 5, 2010

Hey, Ange.

In terms of motivating others to change, yes. But not in the way that you would have thought. I find that people start wanting to change when you back off, and just keep doing your thing. Like you said – they need to be ready.

Kate

Mel May 5, 2010

My husband is a much faster runner than me and when we run together, it always really annoys me when he runs slightly ahead and I feel like I have to run faster than is comfortable trying to keep up! So don’t do that!

Emily May 5, 2010

I have definitely been working hard to motivate my boyfriend (his name is Eric, too!) to change his ways. He’s always loved playing soccer but that was about it as far as health and wellness goes. The change started with us cooking and making meals together; he really respected my healthy eating habits and dietary needs. A few months ago he found the self-motivation to start working out on his own outside of soccer (huge move!). And even more recently he has responded to my need for a workout buddy and motivator and we have begin mountain biking and hiking together :). We go mountain biking at least a few times a week:)

You and Eric’s Try-a-tri have inspired me (us) to sign up for a Duathalon in the fall!!!

thanks Ang!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2010

Goodluck!

Tinka May 5, 2010

Hey,
Does anybody know if you can make your own cashew butter??
I’ve made Angela’s raw almond butter before and it is AMAZING.
I’m just wondering if you could make cashew butter the same way.
Cheers from Australia. xx

Alexandra May 5, 2010

SO funny that you mentioned the funky avacado! I had one like that on my salad for dinner! I was seriously wondering if I needed to relearn how to tell if they were ripe or something…. I guess it’s not just my problem!

Kh May 5, 2010

I’m known as the “healthy eater” among all my friends becUase I consistently am eating healthy foods. I also tend to talk about too much because I think it’s so interesting. I trying to be better about that because I don’t want to come off as critizing. Anyway, one thing I do struggle with is knowing when I am hungry. I tend to eat preplaned meals and snacks but I wish I could stop that. It’s a way to be in control and it’s not a healthy behavior. That’s what my friends don’t see. If u are ever in need of a post idea, I think one about hunger cues would be awesome. Thanks for an awesome blog!

Carbzilla May 4, 2010

Here’s some TMI comin’ atcha…..Hormone headaches are the worst and almost impossible to get rid of. Even my migraine meds don’t really work.

I take 3 months of birth control pills consecutively without periods in between just so I can skip those headaches. My doctor suggested it, and I just wish someone had told me sooner.

Sometimes ice on the head works when nothing else does. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2010

I love a cold damp cloth on the head :)

Ashley May 4, 2010

YUM lunch. It’s awesome to hear when you’ve made a difference for someone’s health. I’ve definitely heard some positive feedback from a few commenters. The best was a friend of my Aunt’s who somehow heard about my blog and now makes much healthier choices, and is starting to shop at Whole Foods. She is also making GM’s filled with spinach! I was SO insanely excited to hear that was all from reading my blog. My husband has definitely joined the health train with me. He eats meat [ethically sourced at least] but I haven’t been for a few months now. He probably does a little more snacking than me but loves everything I cook and we enjoy biking + climbing together. So much fun! Glad you guys are enjoying training together…one thing Chris hates is running!!!

Amber K May 4, 2010

I have had both, some people have enjoyed hearing about my healthy lifestyle and always come to me when they have questions. Others in my life congratulate me on my weight loss, but give me a myriad of reasons why they could never do the same thing. Telling them otherwise is like talking to a brick wall. I think people just need to be in the right mindset to take it in.

Elizabeth May 4, 2010

Hi Angela. Your drink looks great. Can you tell me how you made it? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2010

In my Breville juicer :)

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 4, 2010

My husband has been a willing participant in my journey to healthy living and it’s made the process a lot easier for me. He’s a great guinea pig, I mean, partner. :)

Jess @ MTL Veggie May 4, 2010

I hate when I get avocado’s that “seem” ripe and just aren’t, such a bummer! Was the skin of the avocado dark or ligher? I find that when it feels ripe but the skin is a lighter green that it usually means it’s not going to be very flavourful.

I don’t really make an overt effort to motivate someone to make healthier choices- especially with diet. I totally agree with Christina that leading by example always leads to the best results. If they see how easy and enjoyable it is for you, they’ll be more inclined to take your suggestions to heart.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2010

Yes I agree- the lighter green ones are never good tasting! I find the smaller dark ones taste better

midgetkeeper May 4, 2010

My Husband has gotten motivated by me for sure. Although, we motivate each other, it’s lots of fun to work out together and I love when he asks for Green Monsters.

Claire May 4, 2010

My little brother does NOT like any kind of vegetable. No greens, whatsoever. He also likes very few fruits (basically peaches).

I talk to him frequently while we’re in the kitchen together about nutrition. I try not to disparage any of the food choices he makes, but I let him know what I know about various good things for your body. He is a fit and “healthy” (except for Taco Bell!) 18 year-old soccer player, I just wish he would eat healthier!

One day I came home and he showed me the juice he made with carrots, an apple, KALE, and celery!! He chugged it down, and he says even though he hates vegetables, he will juice more often so he can get some of that nutrition in. :D I can’t tell you how proud I was of him.

I think it’s mostly just setting a good example. I would not want to nag and harass him about his choices – you can’t change something about someone unless they want to change themselves.

Kate May 4, 2010

Hope you had a fun run tonight! :)

I’m currently trying to help my mom get out of the calorie counting phase and to enjoy healthy foods without worrying about how many calories she’s consumed. And I wonder where I got my disordered eating from growing up! I just want her to be healthy and happy, mind and body, so it’s very difficult.

I’m also hoping that my boyfriend will see my healthy eating ways one of these days and want to eat healthier also. He’s making small steps, so I guess it’s something! :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 4, 2010

I’m trying to encourage my hubby to make some healthier lifestyle changes. I also think just by blogging that I get comments from friends all the time saying they’re trying to take on some of my “healthy habits”! :)