Off The Charts

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 3, 2010

Untitledddddd

Apparently I had a good workout today? :)

But first, delicious FUEL.

IMG_6000

IMG_6001

You know, this is all still quite new to me. This whole fueling for a workout thing.

Prior to 2008, I rarely paid attention to fueling properly for my workouts. I was hungry and I had no stamina. I often worked out first thing in the morning and didn’t eat before working out, even though I was hungry. I was miserable during workouts and I did the same boring workout day after day after day…

Now, exercise is much more pleasant, dare I even say FUN, when the tank has fuel. There is a delicate balance between too little in the tank and too much in the tank. I like to eat about 1-1.5 hours before my workout so I can digest.

IMG_6003

This was an Amy’s Texas burger on Sesame Seed Ezekiel bread with a grilled yellow pepper, tomato, and T-paste.

IMG_6002  IMG_6007

You don’t see fruit juice too often in my posts!

I typically don’t drink fruit juice because I find most of them too sweet.

The other day, Eric said, ‘Just dilute it, that’s what I do!’

Apparently Eric has not only cut pop from his life, but he is now diluting his OJ with a bit of water to cut down on the sugar! I never thought I’d see the day when I would be getting health tips from my husband.

and I quite like it! :mrgreen:

So yes, I diluted my OJ and it was perfect. Just a hint of flavour.

I used about 1/2 cup OJ + H2O + ice. It makes getting your water in a bit more exciting.

IMG_6011

My heart sang.

Then it was time for my first open water swim of the year!

IMG_0692

However, I am not a crazy person. That water is COLD!

I biked to a local conservation park and then hit the trails. It was hot, hot, hot outside.

IMG_0695

Is that a double black diamond– as in the same double black diamond rating system on the ski hills- or is it just an unrelated trail marker? I guess I should have looked at the trail guide!

IMG_0690

I am not ready to tackle this trail (yet) and I would never attempt it alone!

IMG_0691

I played it safe and stuck to the trail that I was familiar with.

It was probably my strongest bike ride yet. I felt great! Confidence is still building with each ride, however I concluded today that I want CLIP-INS badly. My feet keep sliding all over the place!

• Distance: 7.86 miles
  • Time: 49:41 mins
  • Avg speed: 9.5 mph
  • Max speed: 18.2 mph

My ascent (total climb) was 1044 feet! I love that Dwight tracks elevation and grade. My quads were burning!

I’m off to work on a Mother’s Day Glo Bar special + Newsletter. Have a good night!

“It isn’t necessary to know exactly how your ideal life will look; you only have to know what feels better and what feels worse…Begin making choices based on what makes you feel freer and happier, rather than on how you think an ideal life should look. It’s the process of feeling our way toward happiness, not the realization of the Platonic ideal, that creates our best lives.” ~Martha Beck, life coach

What have you done lately that made you feel free?

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Good job with the training!

[email protected] May 3, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I have really learned to live in the present, which is freeing! I too am learning to fuel and hydrate properly. The Boston Marathon this time around was the first race ever where I felt properly fueled and hydrated (drank at EVERY mile), and I felt SO different. I didn’t know marathons felt that good!

Jennifer May 3, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Dr. Oz dilutes his OJ too :)

your training is going so well!! congrats, I’m hoping to get out on my bike sometime too, I haven’t biked since I was a kid, but I’d like to give it another try.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 3, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love that quote! The part about making choices based on what makes you feel free and happy, rather than what your “ideal” life would like really stuck out to me. I had to do something a while ago that sacrificed the life I thought I “should” have for my happiness. And you know, I’ve learned that sometimes life doesn’t work out the way we planned.. but that it’s ok because we don’t always know what’s the best for us. Life has a way of surprising you with everything you could ever want but never knew you wanted, if that makes any sense.

Claire May 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Amazing workout lady! Love those amy’s burgers too. Fueling wise, I really think its necessary. I also didn’t properly fuel for a few years and it hurt my performance. Now I try to eat before workouts, even in the morning. Something freeing…hmm, running in the rain, maybe?!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I love diluting juice with water. Sometimes I’ll even just add a tiny splash of juice to my water for just a hint of flavour.

It’s so true that fueling yourself for workouts makes such a difference! I have so much more energy now and I’ve noticed lots of new muscles popping up!

[email protected] May 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I love that quote!!!! and I don’t really drink juices that I don’t juice myself due to the fact that its always a little too sweet for my taste.

Allison @ Food For Healing May 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

i can’t wait to start biking and going on trails down by the river here, its absolutely beautiful! I’ll make sure I take pictures.

I’m craving orange juice so bad now! thanks alot haha

Julie @savvyeats May 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

One of the birthday gifts I got today was a promise from Dan to go get me clip-ins ASAP when I move to New York! Hooray!

[email protected] May 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

great job on the ride today-yes you need clipless pedals! i rode 35 miles today on the road-it was great :)

Jen May 3, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Beautiful photos and great job on the workout! My friend Meg just bought the same Garmin and she is pretty baffled by the line graphs also!

Starting a blog has helped me to feel more free. Before I began writing daily, I would keep these thoughts in my mind and it was constant brain chatter. However, once I started writing more often, I found it was easier to calm my mind and live more in the present.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Your husband’s doing such a great job. You are so right about having the proper fuel for a workout. It’s so important.

Renae May 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I love oj, and have never diluted it for myself, but I do for the kids. However, lately I find it to be too sweet and I don’t know why. Maybe because I’ve been juicing veggies and have gotten used to that? I guess I need to start watering down my oj too. I recently started exercising at 5:30 am. I can’t fuel up too much before, but I found that eating yogurt and drinking water helps me get through the workout.

BTW – I’m new to your site and am loving it! I made the original green monster today and thought it was delicious. Even my 2 & 4 yr old drank it. Who knew green could taste so good!

Sana May 3, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I used to do the same thing! I could not stand the thought of food in my while working out. Now I eat a small meal 2 hours b4 and I am good to go!

Ricki May 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Good for you! And yummy eats. Try diluting your OJ with club soda or mineral water–very refreshing and BUBBLY! ;)

Shawna @ Balancing Me May 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I love ice in oj, and I always dilute my juice. It’s so yummy that way!

Sitting by the ocean, without a care or plan in the world, and letting the wind blow my hair is how I like to feel my freedom!

nut May 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

wish i could sit down with a mug of hot cocoa and have a chat with u. u seem so neat like that.

i recently saw the amy’s texas burgers…but they are 10 dollars for the box…not sure if i should splurge on them or not…i see california too, but hear that texas is better.

Amy May 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I’m feeling pretty under the weather of late, but the calorie conscious side of me has a hard time drinking OJ straight. I’ve been cutting it with 75% diet gingerale. Does the trick!

Lin May 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm

That is a truly awesome workout! And I can see where you must be really proud of Eric. Once you start making a few healthy changes to your life, it seems like it’s easier and easier to be encouraged to do more. No doubt he’s gotten quite a lot of inspiration from his lovely wife!

Lin May 3, 2010 at 8:53 pm

p.s. I drink a Green Monster about 15 minutes before a workout and have Overnight Oats of some sort right after. Who could exercise with food in their stomach? That would be hard!

[email protected] May 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

My husband and I started diluting our fruit juice, too. and HE was the one to suggest it! I love that. Hooray for healthy husbands.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Mountain biking is so much fun! I strongly recommend clip ins :) Sure they will be scary at first – but once you get used to them you will wonder how you ever survived without them :)

Krystina May 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one who had a delicious yellow pepper on their burger tonight. Awesome workout! I’d love to be able to do that one day.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I don’t drink fruit juice all that often either, but when I do, I also dilute it. Especially POM juice…that tastes DELISH with a little dilution to it. :)

eatmovelove May 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Well…I just put in my notice to quit my job….I guess that makes me feel free because I hate it…but I don’t have another job right now. I have lots of offers – but don’t want any of them because I know I’ll hate them – because it’s essentially the same job, same duties…so yeah – free but not free…

Love your blog! It looks so beautiful there !

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I had an offer shortly after leaving my research job. It paid well, but it was essentially the same thing I decided I did NOT want to do. It was a very hard thing to turn down, especially not knowing what the future would hold…but life goes on.

Run Sarah May 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Awesome job on the trail ride! Lately I have been working crazy shifts so haven’t been able to stick to regular meal times. It’s freeing to just eat when I am hungry!

Sarah @ foodformiles May 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Burgers on toast are so good!!! I’ve been making banana soft serve before workouts–so heavenly.

Freedom = rock climbing. I’m usually so focused on how to get to the top that I don’t even realize how great of a workout I’m getting until my shoulders and back are sore the next day.

Amber K May 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I could never work out in the morning without eating! I’d probably keel over.

I basically only drink water; I have never liked drinking away all of my calories. But, I don’t understand this “too sweet” concept, is there such a thing? I’ve never known it at least! But diluting the juice sounds tasty!

Triathlonbabe May 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Wow, has he counted the days since his last soda? Way to go Eric and now giving DW the healthy advice! Good job!

Angela, you didn’t do that open water swim alone did you? I hope not….eeek! Rule of thumb, swimming alone, not good, cycling alone not good but manageable, running alone, okay. Be careful!

BTW, do you swim with your Garmin 305?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm

The open-water swim thing was just a joke! tee hee ;) Are you kidding I am WAY too chicken to even consider it.

skinnypanda May 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Just found your blog recently and LOVE it!! I now read it religiously, it helps me get through the day and focus on healthy habits :)

Keep up the great work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Thank you!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm

how awesome would it be if it really was a ski double black diamond? you’d be so hardcore :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm

hahaha a gal can dream

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’m not a big juice drinker either but I love putting lemon in my water :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm

It’s cracking me up that Eric came up with that fruit juice dilution tip all on his own! He’s a regular health nut these days!

Ilana May 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm

That sandwich. Looks. Amazing. Wow.

It’s really exciting to watch you train for a tri. I have no qualms about admitting that I’m nowhere nea ready to be=a competitive athlete (like I said in another comment on your blog, I’m not an athlete!), but it’s super inspiring to me to see an amazing woman such as yourself setting such amazing goals and achieving them. It makes me feel like I *can* do a little more tomorrow,and then a little more the next day…and maybe one day I’ll try a tri!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan May 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm

My boyfriend has always diluted his juice, too! It’s a good habit to get into if you drink juice. :)

That trail looks awesome!

Wei-Wei May 4, 2010 at 12:55 am

Wow – that chart looks craaazy! I don’t drink juice much either (for the same reason – too sweet!) but I don’t like the taste of watered-down juice either :P I guess I’ll stick to homemade juices! No added sugar, yay!

Awesome job on the trail ride! My eyes popped out when I saw the ascent height – 1044 feet is AMAZING!

Have a great Tuesday! :D

Wei-Wei

Camille May 4, 2010 at 1:18 am

I’m waiting for the day when my boyfriend gives me health tips… I better not hold my breath!

Jil May 4, 2010 at 1:29 am

I do the same thing with juices…makes em last longer, too. :)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini May 4, 2010 at 4:48 am

My entire life had started to feel rather caged lately. And something happened last week that freed me up completely. And it all started when I got back on my bike in January!

Seriously cycling is the most amazing feeling. The nearest thing to flying that there is :) (I am a dork, clearly).

Kim @ Eat and Be May 4, 2010 at 5:26 am

I feel free when I do something that I am afriad to do. seriously…our thoughts seem to get in our way and if we just go ahead and do it, it is such a liberating feeling.
My favorite activity to feel free usually involves some form of exercise. Love it!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 4, 2010 at 5:27 am

I have clip in’s and love them!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 4, 2010 at 7:24 am

WOW, awesome that Eric is giving you health tips! I can’t wait until Nick does that… IF Nick does that ;)

And I NEED proper fuel before a workout! It makes such a difference! I used to think I would burn my fat stores if I didn’t eat before I worked out… WRONG! So glad I am educated now, it is much more pleasant :)

xo
K

Chase @ The Chase Project May 4, 2010 at 7:43 am

Fuel for workouts is so amazing when you get it right! It makes such a difference. Such good ideas Angela!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 4, 2010 at 7:52 am

It’s funny that you mention juice is too sweet. That’s how I feel and my husband thinks I’m crazy seeing as chocolate cake, cupcakes, and pie aren’t too sweet for me. What can I say, I don’t like to drink my sugar. I do like to dilute POM juice with seltzer. Glad your training was so great today!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 4, 2010 at 7:54 am

Looks like a fabulous trail!!! Clipless pedals are on my wish list– I actually just found a pair on super sale and bought them, but now I just need the shoes that go with them ;)

Kristy May 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm

My long term boyfriend has started to turn over a new health/fitness leaf too, it makes everything so much more fun! Me Gusta Mucho! :-)