Barking Bike Legs

IMG 0647 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

Jacket recovered nicely. :)

My bike and helmet are dirty though!

IMG 0649 thumb   Barking Bike Legs IMG 0650 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

The blog transfer process had a lot of down time today as we waited for all the files and images to transfer so I decided to get some other work done. I finished another Foodthinkers juice article and I also made a lot of progress on the Health Blog list I am working on. I only have about 50 more blogs to add! It has taken me much longer than I anticipated. If you submitted your blog and you don’t see it on the list, it is coming shortly. :)

After that I took advantage of the sunny and hot weather and did my second brick workout! I think this was our warmest day of the year so far, 26C/79F. Just lovely.

Before I left, I had the first part of my lunch:

Two slices of Sesame Seed Ezekiel toast with Red Pepper hummus and tomato paste:

IMG 5936 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

And then I was off on the first leg of the brick.

Today I did another combo of Road + Trail. I did it solo today because Eric was helping his brother move furniture.

Before leaving, I brushed up on some bike signals:

TurnSig03 thumb   Barking Bike Legs[Source]

I wore my Under Armour shorts that I bought a couple years ago:

IMG 0654 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I will never wear loose pants again while biking! I ripped a hole in my lulu pants on yesterday’s crazy bike ride. Rookie mistake!

Today’s theme = THE HILLS.

The 10k route for the try-a-tri is going to be very hilly, so I need my practice.

IMG 0553 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

IMG 0563 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

After about 4 miles on the road, I went to the trails.

I get so excited on the trails!

Just takes my breath away…

IMG 0664 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I am happy to report that this was the first time I made it up this rocky area of the trail without stopping because of the rocks! Felt great.

IMG 0665 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I love the trails because they take a lot of concentration and focus. I find it is almost like a form of meditation. When I am on the trails I don’t think about anything else!

The Velo Plush seat is working out great by the way. A gender-specific seat makes the world of difference.

IMG 0667 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I think Harold, Guardian of the Woods, lives here…

IMG 0672 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

IMG 5964 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

Bike leg:

• Distance: 7.44 miles
  • Time: 46:02 mins.
  • Avg speed: 9.7 mph
  • Max speed: 17.9 mph
  • Ascent (total climb): 509 feet

I came home and had a painfully long transition! I forgot to fill up my Camelbak so I had to do that and then I couldn’t find my music. Next time I will be more prepared! The transition time was a good 5 mins or longer.

Off I went, finally!

IMG 0675 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

Today I ran 1.55 miles (2.5 km) in 12:48 mins, which is an avg. pace of 8:15 min/mile. My legs weren’t tired, but I sure was! The wind was fierce and it was really adding resistance.

(My try-a-tri running distance is 2.5k)

I do need to start increasing my mileage again though because I have a half marathon this month! Now that my groin is no longer sore, I can carry on with my runs.

IMG 5960 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

Conclusion: I LOVE Brick workouts!

It is so fun transitioning to another activity. It is almost like a fun game. :)

After the brick I had more FRESH take-out.

IMG 5942 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I had half of the WARRIOR bowl on brown rice.

It includes: Chickpea and vegetable stew with Rich coconut curry sauce and grilled spinach.

IMG 5944 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

I wish I could say that this was good, but it did not agree with me. After I ate, my stomach had stabbing pains for hours. Strange. There must be an ingredient in it that does not agree with me.

I had an orange too:

IMG 5958 thumb   Barking Bike Legs

Eric began the transfer process late this afternoon and he ran into an issue (of course!). Everything is working, except for the home page and he has spent the last several hours trying to figure out why he is getting the error. I feel bad because there isn’t much I can do to help except shower him with Glo Bars and make him tea. ;)

Hopefully I will ‘see’ you soon! :)

“Many of us have spent a lifetime trying to be what we’re not, feeling lousy about ourselves when we fail, and sometimes when we succeed. We hide our differences when, by accepting and celebrating them, we could collaborate to make every effort more exciting, productive enjoyable, and powerful. Personally, I think we should start right now.” ~Martha Beck

Bridget May 2, 2010

What beautiful scenery for a bike ride!

And I’m sure your transitions will get better with more practice – no worries :)

Meghan@traveleatlove May 2, 2010

Way to go! I have never done a brick workout, but all of the tri bloggers I read make me want to try it.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 2, 2010

That is awesome that your groin is feeling better – I have pulled it before and it is one of the worst things ever. That trail looks so nice to ride on!

nut May 2, 2010

Wow. wow. and wow.

Allison @ Food For Healing May 2, 2010

thats awesome that you are being brave and taking those trails and rocks! show them you aren’t afraid. thats great!
we had a cool 9C high for today, i wish we had 25C. its been raining alot here, so hopefully this week will shape up so we can get back outside and do our running and biking too.

Ameena May 2, 2010

Such beautiful scenery!

I love love love Fresh. Sorry your stomach is hurting (I feel your pain literally) but I hope you feel better soon!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 2, 2010

You are doing such a great job with your training, especially Eric.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 2, 2010

Good luck with all the blog business. It can definitely be stressful!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 2, 2010

Ooh this post made me so excited to get a bike! I don’t know if I’ll be quite this adventuresome with it though, but I’m going to try :)

John May 2, 2010

I tried training for a triathlon before with a mountain bike. Once I got a road bike it was so much better. If you like Tri’s after this one you’ll definitely want to consider one. Keep up the great training!

Claire May 2, 2010

Sounds like a great brick workout. I have yet to do one! How do I get on the health blog list? I must have missed that post…

Jenny May 2, 2010

That’s a great quote! Glad you had a good day and I hope your stomach feels better!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 2, 2010

Ohhh I’ve been on the verge of doing a brick workout for a while but haven’t gotten the logistical part down! I just put my bike lock on my bike though, so that should help a great deal. :)

Do you have padded bike shorts or just regular shorts? I think I have those under armor shorts and actually wear them for Bikram!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 2, 2010

Technical things are the worse! Good thing you have a great husband :)

Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 2, 2010

Glad the transfer is working out. It’s such a pain, isn’t it? Also, I’m not sure if I submitted my blog to the health list or not, but I’d love to see Wearing Mascara included. Thanks so much :-) Also, thanks for the shout out on Twitter about my half today! I made it through despite the weather. Recap is up on my blog!

Lisa May 2, 2010

That looks like a great bike trail! Are your under armor shorts padded bike shorts?

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 2, 2010

um…sad! i can’t see the pictures :( but your description is great…and the bike trail sounds like a TON of fun :)

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

Can you see them now??

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyl May 2, 2010

That scenery is gorgeous!! and glad your groin is feeling better!!! ps….I’ll be trying that red pepper hummus and tomato paste soon!

Julie May 3, 2010

How weired with the bike turn signals – in Denmark the one that means right turn for you, means stop! Guess it can be dangerous to bike in other countries :)

harsha May 3, 2010

hey

the scenery is gorgeous
which camera do u use? how come ur closeup pictures r so clear?? :)
luv ur photos by the way

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

My point and shoot (that I bring with me no workouts) is a Canon Powershot SD800. The camera I use for food at at home (and on travels) is a Canon 30D SLR.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 3, 2010

Looks awesome, your pictures are beautiful! I want to go there and buy those brown eggs :)

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

haha I did too??

Joanna May 3, 2010

The area with the trails looks so beautiful! I’m not surprised that you love biking there.

Should you ever visit Denmark, make sure you use the alternative right turn signal instead. The other right turn signal means “stop”, and in the busy bike paths of Copenhagen, would probably result in a chain accident. ;-)

Julie May 3, 2010

I just commented the exact same thing on Denmark above :) Another Dane here – great!

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

I would love to visit Denmark!!!! It is on our list. Thanks for the tip.

Julie May 3, 2010

Whenever you get around to it, send me an email and I’ll be glad to show you Copenhagen :)

You look great in that biking outfit btw!

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

Aww thanks!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 3, 2010

That looks like it was quite a scenic ride! My husband and I keep saying that we’ve gotta start up biking…he loves it, I’m halfway on board. But hey, motivation is key, right? If I can get him to workout with me, there’s my motivation! :)
I get stabbing pains quite often from food I eat…I wish it were easier for me to figure out just what foods are causing it!

Susan May 3, 2010

Haha, when I’m in traffic, I just madly gesture to where I’m going while trying not to fall off or bike into the side of a car :P I NEED a new saddle for my bike. I only have male bike friends and they all scoff at the idea of a women-specific saddle, but I don’t think they get how painful it is for girls!

Lauren May 3, 2010

So excited for the Health Blog list! I can’t wait to procrastinate at work while reading all of them!

Megan @ Sweet On May 3, 2010

I’m glad you’re liking biking! I never thought of it that way before, but you’re right: riding on technical trails is a sort of meditation in which you think only about what you are doing in that very moment. Reading this post has gotten me very excited about returning to mountain biking this summer! Is a mountain bike race on your fitness bucket list? One of the most fun things I’ve ever done!

Ilana May 3, 2010

Ahh thanks for the reminder to brush up on my turn signals! I bike ride in New York City so I’m pretty sure they’re necessary!!

Thanks for the great quote..inspirational :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 3, 2010

Great quote! And the brick workout sounds like so much fun!!

Lauren May 3, 2010

I get that same meditative feeling from trail running, but doing it on a bike would probably just scare the heck out of me!

Jenn May 3, 2010

Yesterday was a great day for an outdoor ride and run. Our group set out for a ride and it was looking pretty gloomy. We missed the raindrops by mere seconds! Your trail looks great!
After I did my first tri with a CT Special…I was quickly moved to purchase a “real road bike”. It makes a world of difference in your ride and effort output. Gotta save those legs for the run!!

Angela (ohsheglows) May 3, 2010

I know I would love to get a road bike at some point! The mountain bikes are just not smooth on the road!

Meg May 3, 2010

Man, that sucks your lulus got ripped! It’s also too bad that the meal didn’t agree with you :( i hate it when you can’t identify what made you sick.

Your pic with the toast was deceiving. I thought it was pb and jam before I read what was actually on it, sounds good though!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 3, 2010

noooo a hole in ur lulu’s :( … hey i guess its a good excuse for another mini shopping trip huh lol.

really enjoyed the end quote today btw!

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 3, 2010

Way to go on the brick! That trail ride sounds difficult…but fun too :)
Good luck with the rest of your transition!

Jil May 3, 2010

Congrats on a great ride!!

:: christine : : May 3, 2010

Oh Angela, I always see you combine hummus with some tomoto paste on top with crackers or whatnot, and oh my! it is not for me but the way you photograph it, I can’t help but wonder what I’m missing, lol.

Dana May 3, 2010

Love your quote today – how inspiring!! :) I wish I lived closer to Toronto so I could try Fresh!