Crazy Cravings

IMG_5663

Oh, romaine, one of my favourite veggies. So versatile. The little black dress of vegetables, no doubt.

Was it ever beautiful outside today. I only wished I could have gone outside to enjoy it. I did make lots of progress with my orders today so I am feeling happy about that. I hope to be caught up by the weekend with a couple hours to spare for desk work. I need to get working on the Farmer’s Market stuff too! Time is flying this Spring.

I find the warmer weather makes me crave salads in a crazy way. Big salads.

IMG_5685

Crazy, not-sure-I-can-fit-this-in-my-stomach-but-who-cares big salads.

IMG_5666

My newest thing is crushing some Mary’s Crackers over my salads. The crackers absorb a tiny bit of the salad dressing, soften up, and taste quite lovely in the mix!

IMG_5664

My 3 Minute Vegan Parmesan Cheese (this lasts forever!):

IMG_5668 IMG_5669

IMG_5676

Deliriously Crazy.

IMG_5684

Spring Has Sprung Salad

Ingredients:

I will eat my big salads in nothing but a HUGE bowl. :mrgreen:

IMG_5671

To keep the light and refreshing theme going, a juicy grapefruit to finish off:

IMG_5694

Tonight’s question: Does your diet change at all when the temperature rises? What foods do you eat most of and does the heat affect your hunger levels?

~~~

Updates:

• I’m glad you are enjoying the new 1,000 Words series. I like to think of it as a mid-day mental vacation. :) Hopefully you will enjoy the photography and the posts will soothe your senses during those hectic days.
  • Regarding the site being slow as molasses: Eric and I are planning a huge blog host move this weekend. OSG has outgrown my current host and the site has been painfully slow as you have probably noticed. I hope you will understand if there are a few hiccups in the process! ;) I’m hoping for a smooth transition this weekend, although Eric is doubtful, lol.

Eric and I are going to grab a quick bite to eat for dinner and get out on our bikes while the sun is still up. I’m not feeling highly motivated to bike tonight after baking all day, but I know once I get out there my mood will perk right up. Plus, I get to test out my new helmet (which fits like a GLOVE by the way!). Yay for helmet fittings. :)

Have a great evening!

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.  ~John Lubbock

1 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 29, 2010

What a yummy looking salad! Is Romaine the same as cos lettuce?

2 Jenny April 29, 2010

ALL i’ve wanted lately are salads! I can definetly sense a change because of the summer weather:)

3 Diana April 29, 2010

My appetite definitely changes! I crave fruits and salads. :) And I tend to eat a bit less during the summer, mostly because it’s so hot I don’t even wanna think about food :p

4 Lizzie April 29, 2010

I actually came to comment on your Greece post – but this just came up first. My brother =volunteered in Athens for 3 months a couple of years ago. He’s taking his girlfriend there next month to celebrate her graduation. He loved it! Taking a catamaran around the Greek Islands is on my travel ‘to do’ list.

Elaine from Seinfeld would love that ‘big salad’. I definitely crave more fruit and salads in the summer than other times of the year. There’s a great farmers market in our neighborhood twice a week and our weeknight dinner is usually this yummy raw corn salad and fresh spring rolls with ingredients from there. Of course the warm weather only sweetens the deal for me :)

Hope you’re bike ride was fun!

5 Mary April 29, 2010

I crave salad and watermelon all summer long. Lots of fruit and fresh veggies. yumm!

6 Kris | iheartwellness.com April 29, 2010

Love your salad!! This vegan cheese sprinkle looks fab! I can’t wait to try it :)

I crave A LOT more fresh fruit and produce when the weather is warmer. Winter has me singing the carb blues…..

I hope you are well doll! I must catch up on the OSG world ;)

XXOO

7 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 29, 2010

I crave fruit, salads, and smoothies in the summer. Although my roommates keep the thermostat at 50 degrees (!!!!!!) so I am wrapped up in a blanket and sipping hot tea despite the warm temps gahhh.

8 Abby April 29, 2010

May I ask where you purchased your glass tea infuser featured in the past? My bf’s christmas present this last yr was a Bodum brand (from Target) glass tea press with a plastic filter/strainer which holds the tea and it leaks around the center filter like a sieve…I need to replace asap!

9 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 29, 2010

I love salads in the summer along with wraps, pasta salad, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

10 veganlisa April 29, 2010

I love that quote. I’m glad you’re enjoying your training. I’m having a lot more fun getting outside to train then I was a couple of months ago (when the windchill was -25). I am very thankful for spring’s arrival in Toronto!

11 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 29, 2010

My cravings absolutely change as the weather changes. I too crave huge salads, more fruit and grilled veggie’s, fruit & pasta salad’s… when the weather warms up. The warmer it is, the more I crave lighter foods. Who wants a stew on a warm summer night ?! ;P

This pasta salad is a great one… (if I do say so myself hehe)

OR this one ;D

Hope you enjoy your bike ride! I’m contemplating taking a walk… which prob means I should just do it !

-M

12 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 29, 2010

oh yay! i just featured those Mary’s crackers on my post of fav gluten-free crackers! so good!<3

definitely less cooked in the summer.. and when it gets hotter out the last thing i want to do is make soup. i still dont mind baking tho.. or oven fries..always love those no matter the temp. i cut down a lot more of hot spices/ creamed dressings.

hmm i think weather does affect my food actually- interesting question.. made me think :) XO

13 Claire April 29, 2010

I also love salads as the temp rises and I was reading in the Whole Foods magazine, delicious living, that we should try to eat with the seasons. Not just seasonally produce-wise but also temperature. warmth and wetness for the winter months and in the spring/summer more dry methods (grilling/roasting) and raw.

14 katie April 29, 2010

GIRL yo salad is lookin GOOD!! i havent ever had marys gone crackers! can you believe it?! so sad! i need to try!

15 Camille April 29, 2010

One word for that salad: Yum!

16 Lisa April 29, 2010

In the summertime I crave salads and fresh fruit. I love when the summer months arrive and I can get my fix of strawberries, wild blackberries, and raspberries!

17 Debbi April 29, 2010

We just tend to eat a lot more fruits in the summer. I’m in Minnesota so the abundance of fresh fruit in the summer is fantastic compared to the winter. I LOVE the farmers market and it just reminds me of spring! Ours doesn’t open until June though, 1 more months! Ah!

The salad looks great, I eat a lot of salads though mine are usually quite a lot more boring.

18 Annie D. April 29, 2010

I have noticed that when summer rolls around I CRAVE fresh fruits and veggies, especially from the farmers markets!!!

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 29, 2010

LOVE that quote!!!
My appetite definitely changes! I crave fresh fruits and veggies and cold cereal and smoothies in the summer.

20 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 29, 2010

I crave jumbo salads year-round, but my summer salads generally taste better since they have such fresh veggies.

21 Mrs. Carioca April 29, 2010

This is my first time commenting here. Yesterday was my birthday and I asked for a blender. Today I had my first green monster and it was sooo good!

22 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 29, 2010

In the summer, I crave juicy fruit! Especially watermelon!!

23 Allison @ Food For Healing April 29, 2010

when its warmer out i don’t feel like eating hot foods or heavy foods. so this summer I am excited to eat a High Raw diet, because its like and cool and will be a great boost of energy for all the summer activites we have planned

all of which will be shared on my blog

24 LisaG April 29, 2010

Yeah, I go for cold food in the summer. But, we also like to grill al fresco by our pool a lot, such as fresh seafood and veggies.

25 Dana April 29, 2010

Summertime is definitely the time for salads. That salad looks like shear perfection!

26 EaterNotARunner April 29, 2010

I definitely love BIG bowls of salad and fruit when it’s hot out. Oh, and ice cream of course.

27 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 29, 2010

I love big salads! I eat them almost everyday! :-) I roasted some chickpeas this week till they were nice and crispy and they are a great at to a salad for crunch!

28 Ericka April 29, 2010

I definitely crave more fresh produce and less heavy/starchy stuff in the summer. And then at the end of the summer, I get super excited for fall…which means pumpkin and apple everything! My favorites. :)

29 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 29, 2010

New host! Good to hear :)

30 Heather I. April 29, 2010

Summer brings smoothie cravings, esp. green monsters! Also, raspberries and strawberries. Oh, and corn on the cob!

31 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 29, 2010

my food cravings definitely vary based on the weather…especially breakfast! in the fall and winter all i want is hot oats and eggs and pancakes (not all together :)) but in the spring and summer i just want smoothies and yogurt!

32 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 29, 2010

your pictures are especially nice lately ;)

33 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 29, 2010

Good luck on the host move… web stuff can be so stressful sometimes!!

34 Amy April 29, 2010

I find that in the fall, I automatically switch over to more “hearty,” cooked foods, and in the spring, I start to crave fresh fruit and veggies. That lettuce looks so yummy!! One of my favourite things to do with lettuce is use it as a sort of taco shell and add the fillings from the tostada recipe in Matt Amsden’s book, RAWvolution (cashew “cheese,” salsa and walnut “ground beef”). It’s so fresh and — in the words of some carnivores I know — “everything feels alive in my mouth!” The water content is super satisfying! My mouth is watering as I type this.

35 Lauren April 29, 2010

I CRAVE big huge salads in the summer too!!! Nothing is more satisfying! And I love using Crack Crackers as croutons! :) Best yet! ;)

36 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 29, 2010

The warmer weather definitely gets me craving big salads, melons, anything from the grill, and SMOOTHIES! I made a strawberry banana smoothie this morning that was AMAZING! :)

37 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 29, 2010

I definitely eat a lot more raw foods in the summer– lots of salads and fresh fruit! Yum!

38 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries April 29, 2010

Those are the best kinds of salads! Love how colorful yours is :)

39 Katherine April 29, 2010

summer = salt.
I have been on a HUGE sodium kick since the temps have gone up!
Katherine

40 Jin April 29, 2010

I had a de-constructed salad for lunch today- warmer weather definitely has be craving fresher, raw food!

Also, I’ve permanently switched from hot oats to overnight oats for my breakfasts!

The quote in the end of the post is what I wrote for my grad (high school) write up! I love that quote!

41 Jess @ MTL Veggie April 29, 2010

Romaine: “The little black dress of vegetables, no doubt.” So true!
With warm weather I start enjoying citrus flavors again like lemony dressings/seasonings as well as fruits like grapefruits and oranges. Plus I find it easier to drink more water, which is a huge plus :)

42 Sarah for Real April 29, 2010

I loved the 1000 Words! It’s so nice of you to think of us :)

Oh yes I crave bbq when the weather changes! Grilled vegetables and a nice cheesy burger!

I’m usually less hungry in the summer too, but I think that’s just because I get so busy.

43 Allison April 29, 2010

I have a coaster with that John Lubbock quote on it! I think I found it at a winery a few years back and couldn’t *not* pick it up…love it!

44 Therese April 29, 2010

My diet definitely changes with the seasons! Hearty, hot, comfort foods in the winter and light, crisp fare in the summer! Yeah!

45 Danielle (Coffee Run) April 29, 2010

I also crave produce in the summer! I’m thinking [subconsciously] it’s because you need more water & that’s what fruits & veggies offer? lol that’s just my hypothesis :D

46 Jil April 29, 2010

My diet definitely changes – cold cereals and sandwiches…and the whole thinking twice about if using the oven is really worth heating up my apartment. haha

47 Lizz @ leading the good life April 29, 2010

As soon as it gets warm, I crave iced tea like crazy!

48 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 29, 2010

I made the parmasan today, from memory and made it with sunflower seeds instead of sesame seeds… no wonder it wasn’t as good as you said!! hehe :)

49 Amber K April 29, 2010

With summer brings my HUGE cravings for ice cream. To give in or not? That becomes the question pretty much daily!

50 Wei-Wei April 29, 2010

Mmm, huge salads! I definitely crave fruit in the summer. Juicy, cold fruit… Mmm! (actually I kind of crave that all the time, but mostly in the summer! :D)

And hurray for the move! Good luck, and remember to back up all your data ;)

Wei-Wei

51 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin April 29, 2010

My tastes totally change with the season! I’m craving salads like crazy lately, as well as juicy fruit! Also, I’ve wanted ice-cold, fresh-squeezed lemonade all week!

Good luck with the blog move!

52 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 29, 2010

Good luck with the blog transfer! Mine was a pain in the a**. What host do you use now and who are you switching too?

53 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 29, 2010

I crave lighter, colder and more raw foods as the weather gets warmer. I was on a wonderful smoothie and salad kick, but then our weather decided that it was sick of the sun :(

I love, love, love that quote :)

54 Lisa April 29, 2010

I crave barbecued anything (well, veggie). BBQ veggie burgers, veggie dogs, red and yellow peppers, corn. I also crave tortilla chips, mangoes, and salsa.

55 Katie April 29, 2010

mmm… romaine = lettuce wraps!

And yes! My appetite changes with the seasons – for the better in the summer, worse in winter. Summer I crave cool, refreshing, HEALTHY things – specifically fruits, veggies, and smoothies!! … and ice cream :)
Winter, I crave comfort foods! (I live in Iowa, so we get crazy cold,snowy,unpredictable weather). I have to be creative to make sure I get my fruits and veggies in a WARM way (baked apples, roasted veg, sneak spinach into casseroles etc).

56 Mama Pea April 30, 2010

You know I crave me some Hugh Jass daily!!!

57 bitt April 30, 2010

I am a much bigger fan of red leaf than romaine. Romaine is too crunchy or something.

My diet does change with the weather. I like warm tea and soup when I am really cold and popsicles when I am really hot. But most of the time i just like raw foods–lots of salads and smoothies. I dislike when it’s TOO cold because smoothies are not as appetizing.

58 Marina April 30, 2010

I have been craving salads like crazy lately! Finally the warmer weather came, and with it, fresh veggies and fruits, and I want to take full advantage of that :)

59 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 30, 2010

When it gets hot out, I always crave fruit! And more foods that are rich in water content.

60 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 30, 2010

I love romaine too and your salad looks awesome :) I eat salad all year round, but when summer comes I get more creatve with them :)

61 jenn April 30, 2010

My appetite changes with the seasons as well. In the winters in chili and soups. In the summer it’s salads and fruits.

62 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 30, 2010

salads and fruit for summer. well fruit is year round, but i most notice the “seasons” at breakfast. I love some steaming hot oatmeal and tea when its cold but in the summer… too hot :(

63 Christy April 30, 2010

Don’t you just love how pretty fruits & veggies can be?!

64 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 30, 2010

I love romaine lettuce! I need to work on getting big salads to fill me more- I totally crave more fresh fruits & veggies in the spring and summer!!

xo
K

65 Lauren April 30, 2010

Yep, my body wants different things when it gets warmer! Definitely lots of raw vegetables- especially light, water filled ones like cucumber and celery. I also light something lighter for breakfast- like a protein shake and fruit. I tend to not want oats as much in the summer. Your salad looks so colourful! :)

66 Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 30, 2010

I love salads! If I could I’d eat salads for lunch and dinner everyday! I definitely feel a change in my eating habits when the weather changes. I like to eat cool things in the summer, especially living in Texas. It was 86 degrees yesterday, hot and humid enough for cool fruits and cool salads. I don’t like to eat soup or stews as much in the warmer months either. I’m so grateful for the VOO, because eating warm oatmeal doesn’t cut it when it’s 105 outside.

67 Erin April 30, 2010

Oh, yes, my appetite definitely changes in warmer weather. I crave fresh foods, lots of fruits and veggies, I don’t eat as much oatmeal or baked goods, and I drink less coffee and tea (I’m going to brew up some iced tea today so my tea intake doesn’t suffer!). So summer definitely = healthier for me!

68 Mo April 30, 2010

I could live on salad and that one looks delicious! I also have been putting crushed Mary’s crackers on mine. They are good to the last drop…..er, crumb!

Sadly it never gets THAT warm or cold here, so my food cravings don’t change drastically. I always want salad though….it’s an obsession.

69 Susan May 1, 2010

When the weather gets warm I don’t want anything that has to do with the stove or oven! The past few summers I’ve lived on the top floor of a brick building and it’s been unbearable. I’m all about using the microwave or keeping my meals cold :) I crave simpler foods with fewer ingredients too.

I’m cutting waaaaay back on my dairy consumption – thanks for reminding me of the parmesan cheese! I’ll definitely be trying that ;)