Going Bananaz

IMG 48572 thumb   Going Bananaz

Yesterday morning called for something spectacular in the breakfast department.

I awoke around 6am after a sleepless night. I faintly remember beeping. Loud beeping. Shrill beeping. Our power went off a few times during the night and when it turned on again, all of our electronics starting having beeping fits. I tossed and turned most of the night…beep, beep, beep. It reminded me of being in a dorm room in university and having the fire alarm go off at 4am every weekend.

After stumbling downstairs, I decided the only thing that would make me feel human again was a breakfast so spectacular, I would not be able to think of anything else.

IMG 4863 thumb   Going Bananaz

Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats

Packed with delicious oats, chia seeds, almond milk, coconut, chocolate protein powder, banana, and strawberry jam…how could you go wrong? Rumour has it, this breakfast will keep you buzzing along for a solid 4 hours.

Ingredients:

Overnight Oats:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 3/4 cup Almond Milk
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder (adds 5 grams protein)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds

Directions: Mix above ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, give them a quick stir and add toppings + banana below.

This Chocolate Amazing Meal tastes so good in overnight oats…

IMG 4847 thumb   Going Bananaz

Banana split:

• 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tbsp Unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp Strawberry jam
  • Chocolate coconut syrup (mix 1 tbsp dark choc. chips with 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and melt in micro)

Can you handle this? I can’t.

IMG 48642 thumb   Going Bananaz

My heart skipped a beat when I prepared this and looked down at my masterpiece. Was I really about to eat something so delicious!?

Oh yes, yes I was.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Eric drooling over this as he pretended not to ‘like’ oatmeal. Pffffft. ;)

IMG 4875 thumb   Going Bananaz

It kept me full for 4 blissful hours. Food did not cross my mind once all morning which is very unusual. I estimated the calories in this recipe to be about 450-500. The perfect amount of fuel for a morning on my feet.

Plans were made to make it again soon, real soon.

IMG 48652 thumb   Going Bananaz

You can get creative with the toppings too…I could see yogurt or coconut milk being delicious as a topping or even some raw vegan chocolate chips. How fun would it be on a Sunday morning in lieu of pancakes?

Yesterday was a good day after all. :mrgreen:

An Exercise Confessional

I have been having a hard time getting back ON the exercise wagon since my break while healing my groin pull. I find it can be easy for me to blow off exercise once I have had some time off. It is almost like I get out of the habit and start to enjoy the extra hour in the day to get more work done! This week has also been super busy so I have been using that as an additional excuse not to get back into my routine. I keep saying ‘oh tomorrow I will get back into it’ and so far it hasn’t materialized.

Today’s question- Do you ever fall off the exercise wagon? Do you ever experience slumps or lack of motivation?

It definitely happens to me every now and then! I think it is normal to have certain weeks where it is hard to get into the game. I try not to let my slump go longer than a week (aside from an obvious injury that prohibits me to). I find once I do get back into it, it just comes easy. It is that first workout that is always the hardest isn’t it? Then after my first workout, I remember why I am in love with exercise. Sometimes it takes some fresh endorphins to remember though! :)

Natalie April 23, 2010

That just looks amazing. I haven’t tried the overnight oats yet but when I do this weekend this is definitely how I will try them.
I hit a workout slump two weeks ago and I gain weight so quickly that I’m having a hard time bouncing back from that right now.
But in a way I needed the break mentally, because I’m really revved up now to get on that bike and ride1

Lauren @ eater not a runner April 23, 2010

That breakfast looks more like dessert! Yum!

Rachel April 23, 2010

Oh yes, let’s talk about falling off the wagon. A few years ago I was hitting the gym hard, loving it, feeling great and looking the best that I ever have in my LIFE. A friend got married, and at her wedding reception I got drunk and twisted my ankle really bad on my super high heels. It was bruised, and I could barely walk for a couple of weeks, let alone work out. That was the end of that. Now, I am motivated to get back to that point so I started running. ANDDDD…. hurt my knee. But I really don’t want to lose this feeling, so I am elliptical-ing until it gets better. Injuries really, really suck.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

yes they do…sorry to hear about yours. I wish you a fast recovery!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries April 23, 2010

That breakfast looks AMAZING! Very happy to say I never get in exercise slumps. Sometimes, I start feeling a little burned out because I wake up SO early for my workouts. When that happens, I’ll just take a week off and get right back at it the next!

Wei-Wei April 23, 2010

What a way to start your Friday morning! I’m glad that it cheered you right up :D

As for falling off the exercise wagon, I must say, I’m pretty new to the “regular exercise” game. I don’t run, I don’t swim, I don’t do much, I just WALK. I guess that says a lot about my fitness, but I’ve never been much of a runner, and I walk fast ;) It’s nice to enjoy the scenery around me slowly… when I’m running all I can think about is when to stop! I can’t even run a mile without feeling like dying :(

Happy Friday! :D

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

There is nothing wrong with walking at all! :)

nut April 23, 2010

unfortunately, off the exercise wagon for over a year now :(

u r genuis with food…it looks to beautiful to eat :)

Colleen April 23, 2010

I do the exact same thing! I’ll go through weeks, sometimes months of getting at least 5 days of exercise a week…then I have finals or something and I fall off the wagon. It’s like taking that first step to get back in is the hardest and I start out feeling like the workout is going to suck, but then it’s my best yet! Then I’m HOOKED all over again…at least until the next interruption, whether it be tests at school, family obligations, or just life. I’m glad I’m not the only one. As much as I love exercising, sometimes it’s easy to get in a non-exercise rut. Happy Friday Angela!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 23, 2010

I had trouble getting into cardio this week. My weight-training, on the other hand, is going really well.

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 23, 2010

*wipes drool off keyboard*
That look amazing! I absolutely love your breakfast creativity- never will I be able to perform so well in the kitchen at breaky hour!
I totally relate to the exercise breaks and finding it really hard to get back on it. Whenever I get a sports-related injury that prevents me from doing a certain exercise I try and do a different form of exercise so my body doesn’t get into lazy mode. For example, if my Achilles heel is bothering me from excessive running I’ll do Yoga and maybe the hated eliptical. I’ve read a lot of running articles that suggest temporarily taking a break of certain exercise in exchange for a new one to keep it exciting and keep you on track with your goals. Good luck on getting back into it!

Necia April 23, 2010

That looks AMAZING. And, yes I do fall off the exercise wagon. For me, early morning workouts is the only way I can go, but some times, like this whole week to be exact, my bed has felt too too good! Of course my allergies have been hassling me, and I have a 6 month old, that wakes up as soon as I move, but still. I’m going to use this fabulous breakfast you posted as bait to get me back into the swing of things. Unfortunately it will have to wait til Sunday. However, I will go to the gym pumped, ready to train, and then come home to this delicious breakfast! I can hardly wait, Im so excited. Yes, it’s that first workout one must get over to get back into the swing of things.

Rachel April 23, 2010

Yummy looking breakfast! Bananas seem to be the way of the world in the blogosphere today.

Yes, I do have trouble keeping my motivation 100% of the time. But who doesn’t?

I have a hard time balancing social life and exercise. I sometimes have to choose exercise instead of socializing with friends and that can be disappointing.

Other times there just isn’t enough time in the day after work and taking care of my animals to fit in a workout and get some quality time in with my boyfriend!

Its a ebb and flow I feel. Some weeks I work out 5 days out of the week, other weeks its onlt 2. But, I figure I’m at least staying active! There is NEVER a week where I don’t workout at all, and I think that is impressive.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 23, 2010

I think everyone experiences lack of motivation at times… And as everyone also knows, those are the times when it’s the hardest to push through. For me, it helps to not plan a ‘super woman’ work out… start out small and work up, until it becomes a habbit again and I start to crave that endorphin rush again.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow April 23, 2010

GUILTY! :)

Totally guilty. I used to beat myself up when I would take too long of an exercise break and especially if I had no desire to exercise. What I’ve realized is that this reality is part of the ebb and flow to life!

Sometimes our bodies need to slow down for whatever reason, even if it feels longer than normal! Rather than feel guilty, I try to enjoy the relaxation and slowly start back up again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I agree…I find that by looking at things long term helps put a week off here and there in perspective!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 23, 2010

we’re all guilty of this from time to time. sometimes i enjoy being lazy.. othertimes i gotta tell myself to suck it up and just get back on.. otherwise i feel crappy and not myself. xox

JJ April 23, 2010

Yup! I am right there with you… and a lot of other people it seems. I have skipped the gym all week and am having a hard time getting back into the groove. Once I get out of the habit I find plenty of ways to fill that time. But I know this beast and I have the cure (for me anyway): instead of beating myself up I say “okay self, no gym for you till Monday.” Now I know I will want to go to spin class or something this weekend but I have already made other plans, come Monday after work I will be dying to hit the gym, do my routine, and feel that wonderful energy rush. It will be a treat and will keep me going back all next week. That’s what works for me anyway!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

Good trick!

Cara April 23, 2010

I absolutely have exercise slumps! It’s true that the first day back into it is THE hardest…and really sucks…but I try to remember that the first day can be easy. “as long as I get out there and DO it”, I tell myself. That usually gives me enough motivation to really kick butt the next day and feel like my normal self again!

Krysta April 23, 2010

Oh my goodness yes! I am currently deep into a slump! I have basically not exercised since my Mexico vacation in mid- Feb! Ugh I can tell it’s taking it’s toll both physically and mentally. I am forcing myself to yoga tonight to get going again!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 23, 2010

Wow it must be delicious breakfast day in food blog world! This looks like a breakfast dessert! Ah-Maz-Ing!!!
I feel like slacking on the exercise when my schedule gets super busy and also when I don’t have anything to train for. I’m so motivated when I have a race or event coming up!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 23, 2010

Usually after going a few days without exercise…I’m going absolutely stir crazy! I usually can’t wait to get back into it and burn off my extra energy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

im usually that way too but I think now because I do physical work on my feet all day I burn off the energy that way, so I dont notice it as much!

Lisa April 23, 2010

Is that breakfast for dessert? It looks wonderful!

I never fall off the exercise wagon. I am so worried about “falling out of the habit” that I try REALLY hard not to do that. I’ve been lucky not to have any serious injuries (knock on wood) that made working out impossible. After my Shamrock Run I had a bit of a sore ankle so I just went easy on the workouts and focused on swimming instead of running.

CK April 23, 2010

Haha, that is so funny! I have a draft that I started to day called “How do you motivate yourself?”

I agree, it is harder than heck to start again after a break and I usually find that about 5 days into it is when my mettle is really tested. But, I have all the faith in the world that you’ll be back to your running, stretching, workout-y (made it up, you like it?) self in no time! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

im going swimming tonight with hubby- whohoo!

Tina April 23, 2010

That looks delicious!

And I definitely have trouble getting back into workouts once I have taken time off. Even after a rest day it is hard to get back in the swing of things sometimes. The worst was after my competition. I could not get myself to the gym for almost two months!! Luckily that lack of motivation worked in my benefit since I was supposed to be putting on weight too to help with trying to conceive. :D

Ellen April 23, 2010

The last few months I have really fallen off the fitness wagon. Sometimes I am truly tired and will skip a work out, and sometimes I’m lazy but convince myself that I’m tired, and I will skip a workout. It’s becoming harder and harder to convince myself to just get out and do it….I hope it’s a slump and nothing more!

Midgetkeeper April 23, 2010

It can be so hard getting back into working out. For me the key is to just put on my work out clothes and go. I can’t think about it or I just won’t do it.

Dee April 23, 2010

Oh dear, your breakfast looks absolutely amazing! i’m loving all of the pictures you take!

I am in the middle of an exercise slump now. :( I’ll get back into it tonight though. If not tonight, then tomorrow most definitely. *shame*

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

No shame in it…it happens!

Sarah-Anne April 23, 2010

Can someone answer this for me? Can you use instant oats for overnight oats? I have two whole giant cans of Quaker 1-min instant oats and I don’t want them to go to waste.

On that note.. are the overnight recipes for steel-cut, rolled, what kind of oats? I’m trying to graduate from instant so I’m overwhelmed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I’m not sure on that- maybe someone else can help!

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 23, 2010

I’ve used them before when I was in the same situation, and I find that it works the same but the taste is a little less robust than that of steal cut oats, if that makes any sense :) I use the same liquid/oat ratio for instant as I do for steal cut/rolled oats. Hope this was at all helpful to you :)

Sarah-Anne April 24, 2010

It was. Thank you Jess :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 23, 2010

Mmmm… you had me at banana split! ;)

I find it hard to get back on the exercise wagon as well- usually when I am super busy and exhausted and I haven’t exercised for a while. But when I push myself to do it, I am ALWAYS happy I did!!

xo
K

Sami April 23, 2010

goooodness graaaaaacious. you are a breakfast queeeeen!

holy yum. delish looking, ang!

Ashley April 23, 2010

Your variations of overnight oats always look super tasty. You are one crative cookie! This might be a silly question, but I was wondering what are the nutritional benefits to creating overnight oats? They are just normal everyday oats right?

Jil April 23, 2010

All I can say is…Oh.My.God. BANANAS! haha :)

Melissa April 23, 2010

love that banana goodness..yum!
I know sometimes my motivation to go to the gym fades completely and I try to figure out if I’m self-sabotaging or if my body is physically tired. When I start going again all that motivation rushes right back..and more!

Lauren April 23, 2010

I don’t look at it as loss of motivation/falling off the wagon- that immediately brings up GUILT. I look at it from the perpective of “do I feel like exercising today? will it make me feel better or worse?” I just listen to my body, and I usually choose to exercise because I know it will make me feel better. Some days, I know it’s not a smart decision, so I don’t exercise. I’m NOT being lazy- I’m listening to my body! Simple as that! ;)

Claire April 23, 2010

I tried your vegan overnight oats yesterday morning and was so surprised about how sweet they were compared to my usual stovetop oats with the same stevia pack! They were tasty for sure and loved the hardened coconut oil/maple topping. I definitely will be switching my treat breakfast this weekend (pancakes…but really every day is a treat with my oats…) with this banana split with oats!

Wow…I know exactly how you feel about workout ruts…I have had so many running injuries and its a combo of fear and just disinterest that comes about. I feel like once you break it, you just get back into the groove of working out. My job is freelance, wardrobe for film, and I find that it just is entirely not possible for me to workout after shopping/being on set for 12-14 hour days. Then when I am done with a film, etc. I am just so rundown. I wish that I could find a good medium but am sure I will as it progresses!

Lele April 23, 2010

That banana split looks crazy tasty! But can you just clarify what, if any, liquid you used in the overnight mix?

Getting back on the bandwagon- it helps me if my first “workout” is disguised as something else- a hike, for example! I go out to “explore nature” and then get my cardio high and want more!

Leah April 23, 2010

That breakfast looks perfect!!

I get in slumps where I would just rather not exercise. I try not to force myself, but I do find that if I take one day off, its easy to take another, and then another. After that first day back though, I remember how much I love it, and how much I missed my routine.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 23, 2010

I just had overnight oats this morning for the first time. They turned out great. I think I will try your recipe it looks really good.

Jen April 23, 2010

Oh! This week was definitely a slacker week for me! I had a rough week with sinus headaches, belly aches, hormones, you name it. But, I just went for 5 mile run and a 1 mile walk with a good friend. I feel great and I know I’ll wake up ready to work out again! I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who goes through slumps!!!!

Bec April 23, 2010

After my month in africa it was really hard to get back into it! I have been back for just over 2 weeks and I am finally back into my routine.

Suze April 23, 2010

Yes, I have absolutely fallen of the wagon (and have in fact yet to get back on). Mine was the result of an injury – hip and knee from overuse. I still feel bad about it, as I had a great routine going with a long walk in the morning, followed by breakfast and thesis writing, then yoga in the afternoon from a TV program. I was getting so much done.

When I injured myself I was devastated – I was in pain just walking around the house and getting up from a chair. Part of me doesn’t want to get back into the routine for fear that might happen again, and then there’s the lure of extra sleep, especially as it starts to get darker and colder here.

I’ll figure out some way around it! For now I’m trying to get in a little bodyweight strength training each day, just to keep me from being completely inactive.

s April 24, 2010

I don’t take time off unless i am forced to due to a schedule conflict, so I don’t find it hard to stay on the bandwagon. I also know how quickly one loses their muscle/fitness once they are off exercising for awhile, so I don’t take breaks.

Page 2 of 3«123»