Feelin’ Good

Hello :)

Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful comments for Becky today! You guys just warm my heart. There are so many inspiring stories that will help not only Becky, but many others as well. Becky emailed me and she said a huge THANK YOU for your support.

I am very excited to share this yummy dinner recipe with you tonight!

Feelin’ Good Stew

IMG 4778 thumb   Feelin’ Good

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen’s Succotash Stew.

This was not only delicious, but a great way to sneak in lots of vegetable servings. It makes a huge pot, so you can have leftovers for quick and easy lunches and dinners throughout the week.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups frozen vegetables
  • 7-8 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 2 zucchinis, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 can mushrooms, drained
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 cup quinoa, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon PC sun-dried tomato seasonings (optional)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Sea salt, to taste

Directions: In a large soup pot, add vegetable bouillon and water. Bring to a boil and stir until dissolved. Add in all ingredients and seasonings and stir well. Bring to a boil again and then simmer on low, stirring occasionally. Cook until sweet potato and other vegetables are tender for approx. 30 minutes. Add sea salt to taste. Serve with crackers and a dollop of hummus on top. Serves 6-7.

IMG 4751 thumb   Feelin’ Good

The prep time for this soup was only about 10-15 minutes. Then you can just leave the room as it simmers for half an hour. You can’t beat that.

IMG 4758 thumb   Feelin’ GoodIMG 4752 thumb   Feelin’ Good

Bring to a boil…

IMG 4757 thumb   Feelin’ Good

simmer for about 30 minutes…

IMG 4760 thumb   Feelin’ Good

I am sure this recipe would work in a slow cooker too.

IMG 4789 thumb   Feelin’ Good

Try not to burn your tongue like I did! ;)

IMG 4771 thumb   Feelin’ Good

With a side of Mary.

IMG 4782 thumb   Feelin’ Good

I swear sometimes I almost break a tooth on those crackers!! Anyone?? ;)

IMG 4775 thumb   Feelin’ Good

An energizing and feel-good bowl of stew! :) Two big thumbs up!

~~~

Eric and I are going to talk about our TRY-A-TRI training tonight. We haven’t had any luck in finding a try-a-tri training program online yet. The only thing I have been able to find so far is a sprint distance program. I will likely be doing a mix of morning and evening workouts during training for the tri (June 6) and my half marathon (May 30th). More details to follow!

Tonight’s question- What time of day do you workout? Do you workout alone or with a buddy?

I have always been a first thing in the morning exerciser, however I will likely be doing more evening workouts to train with Eric for the tri. I think the key to evening workouts is to workout with a BUDDY! Knowing that I have Eric by my side will make it easier to stay motivated after a tiring day of work.

~~~

Speaking of workouts…I didn’t have make time for one today. Will have to get back on the wagon tomorrow. :)

Night!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 20, 2010

That stew looks so good, I bet it would be good cold on a hot day, but then again I love any type of leftover cold (is that gross to most people? it is to my husband!) Most days of the week I workout in the morning and by myself except on the weekends when I get to run with my husband or a friend occasionally.

Michele April 20, 2010

Wow, that stew looks amazing!

I also break teeth on Mary’s too! it’s worth it though.

Hannah April 20, 2010

Your stew looks so flavorful and nutritious! I am also running a half marathon on May 30th! I always workout in the morning. If I wait to do it in the afternoon I always am too tired or have a bunch of other things to do. I also like how in the morning if I wake up and then workout I only have to shower once during the day :) Might be a weird consideration in terms of a workout schedule, but taking showers and getting pretty takes time! ;)

Kelly April 20, 2010

I fully agree with you about evening work outs. I am more of a morning work out person but I can do evening work outs if I am going to a class, especially a class where I am going to meet friends :)

I did a sprint tri last summer and followed loosely a spring training plan. If I were you I would make up your own based on a sprint tri plan. You’ll want to add in some longer runs anyway because of your half, so designing your own is probably the way to go. Try to do running, biking and swimming 2 days a week each. On days when you do short biking or swimming you can do more than one activity in a day like 20 minutes of swimming and 20 minutes of biking. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2010

Thanks for the tips! I feel so lost about this tri stuff. :)

Jenyfyr April 20, 2010

Mmm, the stew looks divine! I will definitely be trying that one out before the weather warms up too much! As for the exercise question, when I do workout (which is lacking of late…partly from falling off the wagon and partly from a knee injury once I did attempt to exercise again!) – it’s almost always after work (5ish) and on my own. I am not a gym person and prefer to work out at home, either on the treadmill or using aerobics videos/hand weights. My hubby and I like to walk together in the evenings, but his schedule is busier than mine and he often isn’t home in time to add in a walk that won’t mess up our sleep schedules. Lately I have been contemplating morning workouts (6 am-ish) since the cats start going nuts when the sun comes up, which wakes me up. Once this wonky knee of mine heals I will definitely try out a few a.m. workouts – I know in the past when I have been able to drag my butt outta bed early it has definitely made a difference in my energy levels throughout the day!

J April 20, 2010

I do both…morning and afternoon- yes crazy I know.

The morning workouts are definitely alone for the most part. I have to get to work by 7:05 so I leave for the gym at 5. Yes….EARLY. But surprisingly it is a great way to start my day and once I am finished I seem to feel better and more ready to be productive throughout the day.

During the afternoon- workout buddies are key….although I am lacking one at the moment :( You are tired in the afternoon and need that push…I think that is always best.

Good luck with the training!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 20, 2010

Mmmmmm that stew looks awesome!

I am a morning person. I NEED to start my day with a great workout. I prefer to work out alone – I like to do my own thing. But occasionally I have a few of my clients that I enjoy working out with!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks April 20, 2010

My workout time is totally sporadic — sometimes I’ll go for a big walk in the middle of the day, sometimes I’ll do a workout DVD in the morning or before bed . . . whenever I can fit it in!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 20, 2010

Now I have Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” stuck in my head :-) Stew looks awesome!

Therese April 20, 2010

Awesome looking stew! Yum!

Up until three weeks ago I only ever worked in the evenings. When I first started working out I would come home and immediately head back out the door for a run so that I wouldn’t cop out. But with work, part time school and now living with my boyfriend I decided to start working out in the mornings so I wouldn’t have to rush around after work until I passed out in bed! Now I can come home, spend time with the boy and still have time to study!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2010

There is something to be said about having a free evening, isn’t there?

nut April 20, 2010

wow – when i get my own kitchen, i will so make that soup!

Pure2raw twins April 20, 2010

I workout at a different time everyday…whenever I can fit it into my schedule. I hate it, I really would like to get on a routine. Yes my twin sister and I workout together…it helps because we can push each other!

Elizabeth April 20, 2010

I have only been reading your blog for a couple weeks, but I adore it and can’t stop :). I’ve noticed you and your hubby are looking at becoming triathletes! If you need any help with a training program please let me know and I can see what I can put together for you. I’ve been racing both running races and triathlons for 5 years now. You can check out my little blog which isn’t super chipper at the moment, but usually is rather sunny. I would be happy to give you any information about triathlon that you need! I work in that field as well :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2010

Thanks, will do!

lex @ sweettoothlex April 20, 2010

Yummy! That stew looks so good!!!!

I usually work out in the evenings. This girl is *not* a morning person – I want to be, I do, but I can’t get this booty out of bed to work out.

John April 20, 2010

Just use the sprint training program. That way you will know you have the distance covered and you will rock your Try-a-Tri.

I workout usually around noon or in the evening depending on the day. I always work out alone and not even with music!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2010

hmm didnt think of that as an option, but I guess that makes sense. I’ll have to look at the sprint ones and see if hubby is up to it. :)

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 20, 2010

I usually work out with my hubby around lunch time between 11-1… Sometimes I go to the gym w/o him, but that’s still between 10-2. I’ve tried the early morning thing and just couldn’t make it a habbit…

Lauren April 20, 2010

I think my ideal time would be mid morning, but my job doesn’t allow for that so I end up working out in the afternoon. And it takes A LOT of motivation to strap on my tennies after a long day at work.

Shannon, Tropical Eats April 20, 2010

hearty stews are SOOO good :) wish i could lick the computer screen it looks so tasty lol. I usually workout around 4 or 5pm when it starts to cool off outside.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 20, 2010

That stew looks fab!

I work out at night most of the time and usually by myself. I have a buddy I work out with once every two weeks or so but most of the time its solo.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 20, 2010

That looks so fantastic for a chilly night. I made a big pot of corn chowder earlier this week and it really hit the spot.

I prefer morning workouts but since I work from home, I have the luxury of doing it whenever. Lately, I’ve been waiting for the warm afternoon temperatures.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 20, 2010

I love a stuffed full of veggies stew. I prefer to workout in the morning. It’s so energizing and a great way to start the day. But the schedule doesn’t always allow it. So sometimes it’s in the afternoon after work.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) April 20, 2010

I work out at night because of my work schedule – I have to get up at 6 just to get to work on time and can’t imagine working out any earlier! Luckily I can leave an hour early twice a week to go to a class or hit the gym, which is a big help. Good luck with the beginning of your training!

Lizzie April 20, 2010

I can workout in the morning, but the way my schedule is the afternoon’s usually fit better. I am LOVING this daylight saving!! More runs outside, people out and about giving me plenty to keep my mind occupied while I’m logging miles. I don’t mind my local basement gym, but there’s just something about being outside . . . :)

Kelsey April 20, 2010

mmm hearty and delicious

Jaimers April 20, 2010

YUMMERS!

I work out in the afternoon. Usually just about the time I want to take a nap :)

For your tri — have you checked out Team In Training? My friends did this to help them train for their triathlon. http://www.teamintraining.ca/

Stephanie April 20, 2010

I absolutely love your blog. I check it on a daily basis to find new ideas and really enjoy visiting.

One thing you said today struck a chord for me. I am a fire inspector, and I wanted to ask that in the future you be very careful about mentioning “Then you can just leave the room as it simmers for half an hour.” A great deal of people do not understand that unlike slow cookers, which have built in safety devices, a simmering pot on the stove can be a danger to their safety.

Cooking equipment fires are the leading cause of home structure fires and associated civilian injuries. These fires accounted for 40% of all reported home structure fires and 36% of home civilian injuries.

Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in these fires. Something that could catch fire was too close to the equipment ranked second and unintentionally turned on or not turned off ranked third.

Please, remember that if you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.

While it is not recommended that you leave the room while cooking, you can do so if you remember to be safe and follow these tips!

I apologize for the slight rant, but safety is my passion!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 20, 2010

What a nutrient packed soup – LOVE IT!!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) April 20, 2010

A good soup is just not right unless you burn your tongue! Looks delicious!!! I workout at 6am every morning. I have to do it earlier because I do it alone and I know other things will get in the way later in the day. You have Eric though, so that will help!

Erica April 20, 2010

The soups looks great and so light!
I like to workout in the morning! The later I put it off, the later I tend to not workout at all! And, I prefer to work out alone, but I do enjoy a good walk with a friend to catch up :)

Alexa April 20, 2010

You think you are always so above everyone don’t you? You are constantly shoving in everyone’s face how perfect your life is! It’s sickening. Yes we know about your damn Glo Bars (Alliebars are way better BTW) being sold out all the time..and your hardcore workout/baking schedule, that you get to do from HOME. Gee, tough life honey.

Maybe you should try to be a little more relatable to your readers and quit coming off as so damn perfect.

Just a thought. I used to LOVE your blog, but in the past 6 months you have been doing nothing but brag about your life. You just aren’t relatable anymore. Enjoy your perfect like Angela. I wont be reading anymore. You sold out.

Nichole April 20, 2010

I personally find your cheerful and optimistic outlook on life refreshing. Success is not accidental. Usually it takes hard work and, to put it bluntly, balls. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to recreate your glo bars (I dubbed mine faux bars). Mixing batches of granola is downright hard! Also, it takes guts to change your career, it’s scary! Putting your life’s work on the shelves for people to buy (or not buy) must be scary too! Sometimes when life is not going your way it is hard to be happy or excited for someone else who is achieving success. Judgement and envy of others distracts you from concentrating on your own issues. Examining your own life is a very difficult process so it is easy to displace anger and frustration on others. Just keep your eye on the prize Angela. I think you are great!

Tonyne @ The Unlikely Success Story April 20, 2010

I try to work out in the morning, I feel that if I get it done first thing in the morning I am less likely to skip it. However, that doesn’t always work. When it doesn’t I try to do it immediately after work, if I sit down after work, I’m done. :)

Allison @ Food For Healing April 20, 2010

The boyfriend and I have just started training. We are running together before supper once he gets home from work. Its great having someone with you, it helps keep you going.

Jenn April 20, 2010

Soup looks awesome!
I am a workout all over the day and night kinda girl. For tri-training, we do three hours on sunday morning, and then 2 hours on Thursday evening. Tuesday & Wednesday I usually go in the afternoon.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 20, 2010

Since our gym doesn’t open till later aka 12 o’clock on weekends I’m a middle of the day to late in the day exerciser. I’d rather get up and go, but naturally our gym accommodates towards the typical college student who drinks on the weekends and doesn’t wake up till 12 or 1. Booooo! :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 20, 2010

Yes! To the Mary’s Cracker’s comment. I surely do love them, but whoa! They are hard on the teeth.

Kristee April 20, 2010

I’ve been reading your blog for just a couple of weeks now and I LOVE it! I don’t know where Alexa’s comment came from, but I find everything you write to be inspiring, sweet, sincere and informative.

Thank you for your blog and what you do – I find it very helpful, personally, to stay motivated and know there are other people out there eating right and exercising.

Oh, and as far as working out – for me, it varies – I travel quite a bit, so I do either a morning or evening workout, depending on my schedule and it is almost always solo. I agree with others that the early morning workouts give me extra energy and a feeling of satisfaction to start the day, but unfortunately, they’re not always feasible for me.

Jamie @ Blueberries and Spinach April 21, 2010

I completely agree! I’ve been reading for a few months now (along with a few other “food” blogs) and find it really inspiring! I don’t know that my recent efforts to lead a more healthy lifestyle would have been nearly as successful had it not been for the passion and sincerity I’ve found in these blogs. I think it’s so important to find a support system when trying to make big changes in life.

Just yesterday I read your post about college life, and started reading your “A Year Can Change a Lot” series. That was the second time yesterday that I had read something along the lines of chasing your dream and just do what you know you need to do to be happy. It was truly meant for me.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you have been, and continue to be, a great encouragement to me and so many others, I’m sure. Keep it up!

Jolene April 20, 2010

I work out in the evening most of the time, but I am off of work all summer, so in the summer I work out in the morning.

liane April 20, 2010

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that like a Costco sized box of Mary’s crackers? If so, my costco so does NOT sell those and I’m beyond jealous. If not, then clearly, I need glasses (or to stop obsessing over those crack- crackers)

As for working out… I used to get up and hit the gym at 530AM, but then I started running and I did so with a group of girlfriends and we ran at 6 every night. I actually like early morning workouts (once you get past the first couple weeks) since you have your evenings free! I always feel rushed when I work out past 7PM

Laura April 21, 2010

I workout in the morning (5.20am), middle of the day (12pm) and evening (7.30pm), every weekday, on my own. I can’t get enough :) Running is reserved for weekend mornings only, as I can’t get my running buddies out of bed in time to run pre-work during the week.

Lindsay April 21, 2010

I like evening workouts, but I work at night, so this doesn’t really work on nights that I work. I’d prefer working out alone or in a class, but not with a buddy. For running or gym workouts, I’d definitely prefer to be by myself. But I like classes more than anything. It’s easy to motivate myself because all I have to do is get myself there and I usually have a lot of fun.

Page 1 of 212»