Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Good morning :)

It is a BIG day in the running world today…the legendary Boston Marathon is going on this morning! Good luck to all the athletes!

Now onto last night’s dinner…

Eric has made me this recipe before and we absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to make it again for a long time.

IMG 4635 thumb   Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.

I thought I would just point out the modifications that I made to it and then you can visit Susan’s wonderful website for the full recipe.

I made a lot of modifications to this recipe based on what ingredients I had on hand. You can either follow my version or the original version. The original version is richer and the version I made last night is lighter. Both were good!

My modifications:

Recipe calls for: I used instead:
3/4 cup soy creamer 1.25 cup almond milk
2 tbsp flour 1/4 cup spelt flour + 1 tbsp chia flour
Dry sherry I omitted
Whole Grain Bread Ezekiel bread
1 3-ounce can of French fried onions Didn’t have any, but I did miss them

I used almond milk for this recipe. In order to thicken up the sauce like soy creamer would, I doubled the flour and added some chia flour. The sauce got so thick I had to keep adding more milk! Next time I would probably reduce the flour to 3 tbsp. It was a nice thick sauce though!

IMG 4631 thumb   Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Also note that the garlic and seasonings are essential in this sauce. Without it, the sauce is very bland.

The lighter version turned out delicious!

IMG 46432 thumb   Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Eric is a big fan of this recipe…except for the mushrooms! Eric hates mushrooms and will not eat them if his life depended on it. He picked his out and I ate them all. :)

IMG 4651 thumb   Vegan Green Bean Casserole

~~~

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.Oprah Winfrey

Jessica @ How Sweet April 19, 2010

Green bean casserole is the only way I really love green beans. That looks so tasty!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 19, 2010

I’m fine with Chard, Kale, Spinach and Brussel Sprouts but what I don’t like is Watercress. The taste actually makes me wretch so I’ve given up on it. Also I cannot stand peas. They taste… mushy. Ick!

Run Sarah April 19, 2010

Cant wait to try this, it sounds awesome! I used to dislike spinach and ate it just for the iron content but its grown on me!

Kerry April 19, 2010

Have you tried Alicia Silverstone’s Sicilian collards recipe? http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/sicilian-collard-greens-with-pine-nuts-and-raisins-418970 It works great with kale too! In fact now I only make it with kale, and the flavors make it taste awesome – garlic, balsamic vinegar and who doesn’t love toasted pine nuts! I definitely recommend it!

Angela (ohsheglows) April 19, 2010

No I havent but thanks for the link! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2010

Oooh awesome. Sounds like a good recipe.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 19, 2010

I love green beans, but I can’t do the casserole. Something about the creaminess and the limp beans. My favorite way to eat them are raw. As for veggies I can’t do: onions. Ick, hate ‘em. I’ll eat mushrooms because they’re a veggie, but I don’t usually care for the taste or texture.

Noelle April 19, 2010

Great recipe Angela!

Try CHard outside of smoothie blending. It is great steamed or even massaged in a little flax seed oil or olive oil with a japanese umeboshi vingear. Yum!!

I think I dislike green peppers only because they upset my tummy, but otherwise I accept all veggies into my kitchen.

Jil April 19, 2010

Woo MARATHON MONDAY!! I have to love how pretty much everything is canceled in the city for the marathon. The green bean casserole looks yummy!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 19, 2010

Angela, you should try sauteeing kale with a little olive oil and maple syrup– it is AMAZING!!!

I pretty much eat any vegetable. On the fruit side, I hate papayas…they taste like vomit to me! :-(

Ashley April 19, 2010

I don’t like peppers at all, and I don’t like lettuce. I LOVE spinach. I tolerate celery.
That casserole looks delicious :d

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 19, 2010

Just keeeeep baking…

Awesome that they sold out SO fast at the store. Your new intern will have lots to do!

I actually love the taste of most greens….even though that was NOT the case growing up :)

Midgetkeeper April 19, 2010

I love most vegetables. I don’t really care for celery too much but it’s ok mixed in dishes.

nut April 19, 2010

I like brussel sprouts roasted in the oven with lots of olive or coconut oil. They get all crispy and great. I have yet to try kale and chard. I am behind obviously.

Therese April 19, 2010

Ohhh!!! Fabulous looking casserole and I’m not even a big green bean fan!

I really don’t like brussel sprouts. I think they’re bland, bland, bland! But I’m willing to try them if they’re cooked differently in order that I may change my mind.

I eat green/yellow beans even though they’re not my favourite. Liven them up with a spice or in a casserole and I can manage them.

Congrats on selling out at the store! That’s awesome!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 19, 2010

WOW that casserole looks incredible!!

Hmm to be honest I can’t think of any veggies I eat that I don’t like… I tried turnip greens and didn’t care for them and haven’t had them since. Luckily I love veggies!

Shelly April 19, 2010

I really dislike celery. Other than that, I’ll eat just about any veggie.
Kale is my absolute favorite veggie though!
Most of the time, I saute a little onion and garlic in some olive oil over a medium flame, then add as much Kale as will fit in my sauce pan. I stir it around for a minute then add about half a cup of water, and a bunch of freshly ground pepper. I also add a couple of dashes of hot sauce and some lemon juice. Then I put the lid on and let it cook until the water is mostly gone and the kale is tender (15-30 minutes… I usually put this on when I get home from the gym then hop in the shower while it cooks). I take the lid off and let the rest of the water evaporate and then it’s done!
This is great to eat on it’s own, or mix into whole wheat pasta or quinoa. I also like it alongside roasted potatoes.
My other favorite Kale recipe is stir fried Kale with Crispy Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans). It sounds really simple (Kale, Chickpeas, Garlic, Lemon) but is definitely more than the sum of it’s parts (oh and I usually don’t bother with shallots in this recipe b/c I never have any). I really hope you try this one because it is my favorite vegan recipe.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 19, 2010

Nice looking casserole!
Aubergine and mushrooms are two vegetables I cannot stand – really really don’t like them. I also don’t really like raw tomato unless it’s marinated in lots of garlic and some olive oil ;)

Abby April 19, 2010

I love green bean casserole!!! This is so exciting that you have vegan-ized it! Thanks!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 19, 2010

Congrats on selling all those bars!! So awsome. Eventually I would like to come up with a products to share on my blog! : )

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 19, 2010

i think i need to eat that now…i LOVE green bean casserole! i love brussels sprouts, but only like kale and dark greens like dandelion greens in certain dishes…and definitely with some garlic!

Christina April 19, 2010

It surprises me that you haven’t tried Kale chips, maybe because you drink it so much. I was fairly skeptical but they’re pretty good!

I occasionally have a bite or two or beets because they’re good for me but I don’t like them!

skinnyrunner April 19, 2010

eric has it right. i hate mushrooms too!

Brynn April 19, 2010

Snap peas gross me out now. I also can’t choke down an olive but that’s not a vegetable. I love most veggies so I don’t force myself to eat any that I don’t like.

Jenny April 19, 2010

I can’t eat peas!! For some reason, they just gross me out!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 19, 2010

Congrats on your GloBars being sold out!

Is it bad that I absolutely love Oprah and her quotes?

Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 19, 2010

I am not a turnip fan. I don’t know what it is, but I don’t really like them. I do like how pretty they are, just not big on the taste.

Nikki T April 19, 2010

I also do not eat mushrooms- yuk!!
I’m not a big fan of the texture or taste of them (I also enjoy my Dad’s reason for not eating them: “They grow in sh*t!”) Haha!!

Theresa April 19, 2010

Roast your brussels sprouts! Trim the stem off, then cut in half. Toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and roast (cut side down) on a baking sheet. You will love them. I have had non-veggie eaters (people who “hate all vegetables”) loving these!

Kari Schlobohm April 19, 2010

Congrats on selling out of your glo bars so soon!! You really should try kale chips. I waited a long time b/c they didn’t exactly sound great to me, but they were super tasty. I love, love them.

Life Lite April 19, 2010

Oooh! I can’t wait to try!

Camille April 19, 2010

Congrats on your Glo Bars!
Bring them down the coast to the US! I want them in stores :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 19, 2010

Wow that’s incredible that they’ve sold out! Not unbelievable though – they’re so good, why wouldn’t they?

Tomatoes are a fruit, not veggie, but they’re one I just cannot do alone. I’ll eat them in salads, stews, etc, just not alone.

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 19, 2010

I’ve had this recipe saved for a while and I’ve been dying to try it!

The veggie I can’t stand: celery. It sends shivers up my spine.

Sara April 19, 2010

Like Eric, I hate mushrooms. Vile little things! I’ve been a vegetarian for 12 years and still find it surprising that everyone assumes that al vegetarians swap out meat for a big ol’ mushroom! But, of course, everyone seems surprised that I don’t eat them. I think it’s a texture thing!

Lisa April 19, 2010

I cannot eat mushrooms. At all! ICK!

Christina April 19, 2010

I pretty much eat anything that’s healthy, even if I don’t think it tastes too great. I just won’t eat it that often!

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 19, 2010

Congrats on having your bars sell out!!
The casserole looks delicious! I have yet to try any vegetables that I don’t like, but I do prefer certain vegetables raw rather than cooked. For example, I cannot stand cooked spinach (with the one exception being Thai Cripsy spinach), the taste and texture throws me off and I much prefer to eat it raw.

Merry at Merry Eats Oats April 19, 2010

I am a firm believer that mushrooms are poison to my body. Based soley on how foul I find them. No matter how small and hidden they are in a dish – I know they’re there!

Congrats on your bars selling out so quickly!

Anna @ OatsnBoats April 19, 2010

I’m with Eric on the mushrooms – slimy yucky things.
In terms of veggies that I eat just because, but I don’t really like – carrots. I’m just not a fan, never have been. Maybe one day they’ll grow on me, but not at this point.
I’ve been trying to discover a recipe that will make me like or at least tolerate chard… I’m not there yet.

Kristin April 19, 2010

I don’t eat radishes. I just plain don’t like them!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 19, 2010

I think the only veggie I’ve ever tried that I didn’t like was an over cooked one ;P I’ve really grown to enjoy the taste of most veggies… If I had to pick one that I would prefer not to eat again, it would have to be dandilion greens… kind of bitter for me. I’ll have to throw them in a GM and see if I like the better that way.

Your casserole look wonderful! Def not your average green bean casserole.

Page 1 of 3123»