Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Good morning :)

It is a BIG day in the running world today…the legendary Boston Marathon is going on this morning! Good luck to all the athletes!

Now onto last night’s dinner…

Eric has made me this recipe before and we absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to make it again for a long time.

IMG_4635

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.

I thought I would just point out the modifications that I made to it and then you can visit Susan’s wonderful website for the full recipe.

I made a lot of modifications to this recipe based on what ingredients I had on hand. You can either follow my version or the original version. The original version is richer and the version I made last night is lighter. Both were good!

My modifications:

Recipe calls for: I used instead:
3/4 cup soy creamer 1.25 cup almond milk
2 tbsp flour 1/4 cup spelt flour + 1 tbsp chia flour
Dry sherry I omitted
Whole Grain Bread Ezekiel bread
1 3-ounce can of French fried onions Didn’t have any, but I did miss them

I used almond milk for this recipe. In order to thicken up the sauce like soy creamer would, I doubled the flour and added some chia flour. The sauce got so thick I had to keep adding more milk! Next time I would probably reduce the flour to 3 tbsp. It was a nice thick sauce though!

IMG_4631

Also note that the garlic and seasonings are essential in this sauce. Without it, the sauce is very bland.

The lighter version turned out delicious!

IMG_4643 (2)

Eric is a big fan of this recipe…except for the mushrooms! Eric hates mushrooms and will not eat them if his life depended on it. He picked his out and I ate them all. :)

IMG_4651

~~~

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.Oprah Winfrey

1 Jessica @ How Sweet April 19, 2010

Green bean casserole is the only way I really love green beans. That looks so tasty!

2 Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 19, 2010

I’m fine with Chard, Kale, Spinach and Brussel Sprouts but what I don’t like is Watercress. The taste actually makes me wretch so I’ve given up on it. Also I cannot stand peas. They taste… mushy. Ick!

3 Run Sarah April 19, 2010

Cant wait to try this, it sounds awesome! I used to dislike spinach and ate it just for the iron content but its grown on me!

4 Kerry April 19, 2010

Have you tried Alicia Silverstone’s Sicilian collards recipe? http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/sicilian-collard-greens-with-pine-nuts-and-raisins-418970 It works great with kale too! In fact now I only make it with kale, and the flavors make it taste awesome – garlic, balsamic vinegar and who doesn’t love toasted pine nuts! I definitely recommend it!

5 Angela (ohsheglows) April 19, 2010

No I havent but thanks for the link! :)

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2010

Oooh awesome. Sounds like a good recipe.

7 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 19, 2010

I love green beans, but I can’t do the casserole. Something about the creaminess and the limp beans. My favorite way to eat them are raw. As for veggies I can’t do: onions. Ick, hate ‘em. I’ll eat mushrooms because they’re a veggie, but I don’t usually care for the taste or texture.

8 Noelle April 19, 2010

Great recipe Angela!

Try CHard outside of smoothie blending. It is great steamed or even massaged in a little flax seed oil or olive oil with a japanese umeboshi vingear. Yum!!

I think I dislike green peppers only because they upset my tummy, but otherwise I accept all veggies into my kitchen.

9 Jil April 19, 2010

Woo MARATHON MONDAY!! I have to love how pretty much everything is canceled in the city for the marathon. The green bean casserole looks yummy!!

10 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 19, 2010

Angela, you should try sauteeing kale with a little olive oil and maple syrup– it is AMAZING!!!

I pretty much eat any vegetable. On the fruit side, I hate papayas…they taste like vomit to me! :-(

11 Ashley April 19, 2010

I don’t like peppers at all, and I don’t like lettuce. I LOVE spinach. I tolerate celery.
That casserole looks delicious :d

12 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 19, 2010

Just keeeeep baking…

Awesome that they sold out SO fast at the store. Your new intern will have lots to do!

I actually love the taste of most greens….even though that was NOT the case growing up :)

13 Midgetkeeper April 19, 2010

I love most vegetables. I don’t really care for celery too much but it’s ok mixed in dishes.

14 nut April 19, 2010

I like brussel sprouts roasted in the oven with lots of olive or coconut oil. They get all crispy and great. I have yet to try kale and chard. I am behind obviously.

15 Therese April 19, 2010

Ohhh!!! Fabulous looking casserole and I’m not even a big green bean fan!

I really don’t like brussel sprouts. I think they’re bland, bland, bland! But I’m willing to try them if they’re cooked differently in order that I may change my mind.

I eat green/yellow beans even though they’re not my favourite. Liven them up with a spice or in a casserole and I can manage them.

Congrats on selling out at the store! That’s awesome!

16 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 19, 2010

WOW that casserole looks incredible!!

Hmm to be honest I can’t think of any veggies I eat that I don’t like… I tried turnip greens and didn’t care for them and haven’t had them since. Luckily I love veggies!

17 Shelly April 19, 2010

I really dislike celery. Other than that, I’ll eat just about any veggie.
Kale is my absolute favorite veggie though!
Most of the time, I saute a little onion and garlic in some olive oil over a medium flame, then add as much Kale as will fit in my sauce pan. I stir it around for a minute then add about half a cup of water, and a bunch of freshly ground pepper. I also add a couple of dashes of hot sauce and some lemon juice. Then I put the lid on and let it cook until the water is mostly gone and the kale is tender (15-30 minutes… I usually put this on when I get home from the gym then hop in the shower while it cooks). I take the lid off and let the rest of the water evaporate and then it’s done!
This is great to eat on it’s own, or mix into whole wheat pasta or quinoa. I also like it alongside roasted potatoes.
My other favorite Kale recipe is stir fried Kale with Crispy Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans). It sounds really simple (Kale, Chickpeas, Garlic, Lemon) but is definitely more than the sum of it’s parts (oh and I usually don’t bother with shallots in this recipe b/c I never have any). I really hope you try this one because it is my favorite vegan recipe.

18 Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 19, 2010

Nice looking casserole!
Aubergine and mushrooms are two vegetables I cannot stand – really really don’t like them. I also don’t really like raw tomato unless it’s marinated in lots of garlic and some olive oil ;)

19 Abby April 19, 2010

I love green bean casserole!!! This is so exciting that you have vegan-ized it! Thanks!

20 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 19, 2010

Congrats on selling all those bars!! So awsome. Eventually I would like to come up with a products to share on my blog! : )

21 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 19, 2010

i think i need to eat that now…i LOVE green bean casserole! i love brussels sprouts, but only like kale and dark greens like dandelion greens in certain dishes…and definitely with some garlic!

22 Christina April 19, 2010

It surprises me that you haven’t tried Kale chips, maybe because you drink it so much. I was fairly skeptical but they’re pretty good!

I occasionally have a bite or two or beets because they’re good for me but I don’t like them!

23 skinnyrunner April 19, 2010

eric has it right. i hate mushrooms too!

24 Brynn April 19, 2010

Snap peas gross me out now. I also can’t choke down an olive but that’s not a vegetable. I love most veggies so I don’t force myself to eat any that I don’t like.

25 Jenny April 19, 2010

I can’t eat peas!! For some reason, they just gross me out!

26 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 19, 2010

Congrats on your GloBars being sold out!

Is it bad that I absolutely love Oprah and her quotes?

27 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 19, 2010

I am not a turnip fan. I don’t know what it is, but I don’t really like them. I do like how pretty they are, just not big on the taste.

28 Nikki T April 19, 2010

I also do not eat mushrooms- yuk!!
I’m not a big fan of the texture or taste of them (I also enjoy my Dad’s reason for not eating them: “They grow in sh*t!”) Haha!!

29 Theresa April 19, 2010

Roast your brussels sprouts! Trim the stem off, then cut in half. Toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and roast (cut side down) on a baking sheet. You will love them. I have had non-veggie eaters (people who “hate all vegetables”) loving these!

30 Kari Schlobohm April 19, 2010

Congrats on selling out of your glo bars so soon!! You really should try kale chips. I waited a long time b/c they didn’t exactly sound great to me, but they were super tasty. I love, love them.

31 Life Lite April 19, 2010

Oooh! I can’t wait to try!

32 Camille April 19, 2010

Congrats on your Glo Bars!
Bring them down the coast to the US! I want them in stores :)

33 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 19, 2010

Wow that’s incredible that they’ve sold out! Not unbelievable though – they’re so good, why wouldn’t they?

Tomatoes are a fruit, not veggie, but they’re one I just cannot do alone. I’ll eat them in salads, stews, etc, just not alone.

34 Danielle (Coffee Run) April 19, 2010

I’ve had this recipe saved for a while and I’ve been dying to try it!

The veggie I can’t stand: celery. It sends shivers up my spine.

35 Sara April 19, 2010

Like Eric, I hate mushrooms. Vile little things! I’ve been a vegetarian for 12 years and still find it surprising that everyone assumes that al vegetarians swap out meat for a big ol’ mushroom! But, of course, everyone seems surprised that I don’t eat them. I think it’s a texture thing!

36 Lisa April 19, 2010

I cannot eat mushrooms. At all! ICK!

37 Christina April 19, 2010

I pretty much eat anything that’s healthy, even if I don’t think it tastes too great. I just won’t eat it that often!

38 Jess @ MTL Veggie April 19, 2010

Congrats on having your bars sell out!!
The casserole looks delicious! I have yet to try any vegetables that I don’t like, but I do prefer certain vegetables raw rather than cooked. For example, I cannot stand cooked spinach (with the one exception being Thai Cripsy spinach), the taste and texture throws me off and I much prefer to eat it raw.

39 Merry at Merry Eats Oats April 19, 2010

I am a firm believer that mushrooms are poison to my body. Based soley on how foul I find them. No matter how small and hidden they are in a dish – I know they’re there!

Congrats on your bars selling out so quickly!

40 Anna @ OatsnBoats April 19, 2010

I’m with Eric on the mushrooms – slimy yucky things.
In terms of veggies that I eat just because, but I don’t really like – carrots. I’m just not a fan, never have been. Maybe one day they’ll grow on me, but not at this point.
I’ve been trying to discover a recipe that will make me like or at least tolerate chard… I’m not there yet.

41 Kristin April 19, 2010

I don’t eat radishes. I just plain don’t like them!

42 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 19, 2010

I think the only veggie I’ve ever tried that I didn’t like was an over cooked one ;P I’ve really grown to enjoy the taste of most veggies… If I had to pick one that I would prefer not to eat again, it would have to be dandilion greens… kind of bitter for me. I’ll have to throw them in a GM and see if I like the better that way.

Your casserole look wonderful! Def not your average green bean casserole.

43 AGS April 19, 2010

Not a fan of okra. But I eat it in gumbo. . .

When I was younger, I dislikd raw mushrooms, but like them cookied. For my brother, it was the opposite. Now, we both love mushrooms every way imaginable.

44 Kelsey April 19, 2010

parsnip is the only one i think i dislike. otherwise i crave veggies like their going out of style. seriously rather have a bowl of broccoli than cake. call me crazy, i know.

45 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 19, 2010

Wow, I love this! It looks so good. What is Eric thinking? I looooove cooked mushrooms!

46 Hallie April 19, 2010

I don’t like mushrooms or eggplant. So I just don’t choose those or pick around them Eric-style, haha. And I have to say, I’m not the biggest fan of some greens like collards or even spinach, but they are so darn good for you I make it work. Like you, I find ways to eat them that I like…greens sautéed with shallots and a squeeze of lemon, or spinach in a smoothie or salad with strawberries and balsamic vinegar.

47 Ariel April 19, 2010

I hate celery, it is the most vile thing on the planet. I also hate raw white onions… and dislike bok choy, sweet potatoes, and green peppers (though I love red/yellow/orange!)I don’t really eat any vegetables I don’t like though!

48 Meredith April 19, 2010

I don’t like eggplant or canned mushrooms. The texture grosses me out

49 Chelsea April 19, 2010

You MUST try kale chips! A few minutes in the oven changes the texture and taste completely! I too had an unfortunate experience with kale in a green monster, but the chips won me back over:) I can’t stand mushrooms either. I will eat brussels sprouts and eggplant, but I don’t love them.

50 Rachel April 19, 2010

Mmmm, kale is one of my favourites. Had a giant pile with dinner last night (or at least, I thought it was going to be a giant pile, but it reduced so much after the sautéeing – I was a little sad!)

The only vegetable I don’t like in any form is green pepper. I like other coloured peppers, but the green ones make me gag. I also don’t love hot beets, but cold they’re fine.

51 zoe April 19, 2010

ohmygod you HAVE to give swiss chard another chance!!! really :) cook it into something. my most favorite way to find recipes is on http://www.foodgawker.com. just type in the food you want to find recipes for in the search bar and it brings all recipes related to that food item up! it’s a lifesaver when i am not feeling very creative. btw, the casserole looks amazing. i’m vegetarian but every time i look at your food i feel more and more inclined to become vegan!!!!

52 NC April 19, 2010

The casserole looks great , bookmarked it to try it on the weekend … :) , BTW tried the nut butter fries , they were fantastic , I used a combination of parsnip and yucca and I am from India , so added some indian spices along , it was amazing … , my husband thought they were potato fries … Thanks for the recipe , defintely a keeper!!! :)

53 Clea April 19, 2010

I really like stir-fried kale, but found a surprising way to eat it raw that I really really love. Forgive me if it’s already mentioned in the comments. Basically you wash kale, put it in a bowl and pour in a little lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or just one or two of the acidics, but definitely the olive oil). Then you massage it around with your hands, really “kneading” the kale and distributing all the liquids around. This time I also mashed in an avocado. Basically the kale becomes really tender in a few hours’ chilling time…I added a little hot sauce and lime juice this time :). It’s good cold or warmed up slightly.

54 One Healthy Apple April 19, 2010

I’m probably a maniac, but I literally love almost all veggies. I think I’ve had some bad reactions to some herbs in the past- I think the one that tastes like licorice. Otherwise, I love them all! It doesn’t mean I can eat them instead of dark chocolate, but the bigger veggie variety, the better!

55 Brittany April 19, 2010

One time, I saw mustard greens at Whole Foods, thought they looked nice and fresh, and decided I’d give them a try (I had actually never even heard of them). Of course, the first mustard green test was mustard greens in a green monster…
and I have not been able to touch them since!

56 Ana April 19, 2010

I only eat the things I like the taste of, life is too short and there are so many good (healthy and nutritious) foods to be savored that I don’t want to be swallowing foods that don’t please my palate.
The only two veggies I can think of that I don’t like are celery and fennel, everything else I eat and like! (I love veggies, all of them!!)
Try chard sauteed with onions and garlic Angela, I am sure you will like, they are very similar to sauteed spinach, seriously!!
Ana

57 Ana April 19, 2010

I am not a big fan of brussels sprouts either… I am still to have some that are not bitter. But I keep trying! :-)
Ana

58 kate April 19, 2010

I am also an anti-mushroom eater! Ew!

59 Allison @ Food For Healing April 19, 2010

i’ll pretty much eat any vegetable, EXCEPT brussel sprouts. I try and stay away from asparagus though because of the “after smell”

60 veggielady4life April 19, 2010

Hmmm… a vegetable I don’t like…. honestly… I can’t think of any that I just can’t stand… if it’s cooked the right way. I don’t like plain eggplant… it has to be grilled… and radishes are not my favorite thing. Otherwise… bring on the veggies! :mrgreen:

61 Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful April 19, 2010

I literally will eat any vegetable. I love them all. My boyfriend is the same way about mushrooms. He won’t eat them if his life depended on them. Having him dislike them so much, you start to realize how many foods and recipes have mushrooms in them!

62 Laura @ youngDCliving April 19, 2010

I will eat any vegetable, but ones that I’m not a HUGE fan of are: peas…now that I think about it, that is about all, haha.

My absolute favorites are: zucchini, eggplant, asparagus(!), mushrooms (all of ’em), spinach…the list goes on.

I REALLY need to try green monsters, but ever since I only tried a shot of wheatgrass, the thought has turned me off, but I’m sure I would actually like them

63 Kendel April 19, 2010

Thanks for the chard warning. I have some stems left over from dinner tonight and was thinking about adding them to my juice tomorrow. I’m now taking head. If you’re willing to try chard again, I just put up the recipe I used tonight and it was delish. I love all veggies!

64 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 19, 2010

I looove kale but it took me a long time to get there!

65 Shawna @ Balancing Me April 19, 2010

That casserole looks yummy!

I love most veggies. I really can’t think of any that I don’t like. My mom never forced me to eat them, so maybe that’s why I’ve always like them, even when I was a kid?

66 Dukka Girl April 19, 2010

My problems are more with fruit-like vegetables: avocado and raw tomato. I love tomato cooked though. I hate boiled or steamed pumpkin and sweet potato. Don’t mind roast squash or mashed up and baked again. I hate disliking vegetables!

67 Kelly April 19, 2010

Congrats on the quick sale of Glo Bars!!! Yipee!!

68 Kristie April 19, 2010

Oooh, I bet if you sauteed some chard with garlic you would like it. I think the taste is a lot more pleasant (aka not bitter) than kale and collards.

Congrats on the Glo bars selling out so quickly! Like all of us addicts who have had them before… there’s a reason why ;).

I love pretty much all veggies (really, I can’t think of one I don’t like) but my husband hates green beans and mushrooms and those are probably my two favorites! When I’m home alone for dinner I just saute up a bunch of mushrooms and steam some green beans to celebrate :-P.

69 Stina @ Girl Can April 19, 2010

Like Eric, I wouldn’t eat a mushroom to save my life. i also HATE tomatos.

To be honest, most vegetables I eat strictly because they’re good for me. I’ve never been a huge veggie person at all.

70 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 19, 2010

That recipe looks great!

I love roasted beets, but I’m not a huge fan of beet juice- I mask it with fruit juices so I can tolerate it because it is so good for me!

I like chard a lot- but only cooked. Kale I also don’t really like raw, but it is growing on me, I LOVE it cooked!

I’m not a huge fan of celery by itself, and I won’t touch lima beans and red radish. But they’re not exactly super healthy, so it’s not a huge deal, I say.

xo
K

71 jessica April 19, 2010

I;m with Eric – I will not eat mushrooms! Ew

72 Kristin April 19, 2010

Thanks to 101 Cookbooks, I eat Brussels Sprouts almost every single day! The guys in the produce department know me as being that crazy lady who frequently asks them to go dig out the last bag from the fridge in the back when they are out of season….

I don’t touch kale. My dad grew way too much of it in his garden a few years ago. I didn’t care for it before that summer, and afterwords I REALLY hated it.

73 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 19, 2010

YUM! What a great looking casserole! I eat pretty much all vegies – but I am not the hugest fan of cucumber?!

74 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) April 19, 2010

SO excited about this–I really want to try it! I’m pretty much the same…I’ll eat any veggie. I don’t think I’ve had Chard though…

75 Rachel April 19, 2010

I hate broccoli. Raw, cooked, whatever, I think it’s absolutely awful. Which is weird, because most people really like it, but I can’t stand it. And have you ever had broccoli raab? (Its a leafy green, no real relation to broccoli, that’s just a coincidence..) That’s truly the worst thing I have ever eaten. It was a side at a restaurant and I spit it out, and I’m not even like that. it was a reflex, SO NASTY.

76 katie April 19, 2010

I LOVE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE! can you come to SC and cook for me? I would LOVE THAT! :) lol

77 Sarah Walnuts April 19, 2010

Can’t stand cooked carrots, but love them raw… I had a bad experience as a child with cooked carrots, *shudder*.

78 Leah April 19, 2010

My boyfriend and I are the opposite. I hate mushrooms and he loves them. I always pile them on his plate and he eats them for me!
I dont like bell peppers. I dont mind the flavor of them IN my food though. If theyre in a meal I will still eat it, I just pick them out. I dont know what it is about them, the texture maybe?

Kale chips are awesome – you definitely should try them. I made them once and have been asked about 400 times to make them again.

79 Heather April 19, 2010

I hate hate hate (hate!!!) onions – raw. I don’t mind them cooked if they are minced really small, but raw…. blech.

80 Molly April 19, 2010

I can’t wait to get back to the U.S. this summer and try all of your recipes- yes ALL :D My family might be converted to Veganism after they see the magic you make in the kitchen!!! As for veggies- I do not like olives at.all. BLEH. Everything else is pretty much a go (that I’ve tried, I’ve never had Kale or Brussel Sprouts though…YET)…oh and I do NOT like pickled veggies (yucky Japanese food). CONGRATS on all of your success Angela, you are an inspiration! Have a great week!!!

81 Jolene April 19, 2010

I have never tried a vegetable that I didn’t love!

82 Dominique April 19, 2010

I love mushrooms but my mom hates them. We had them for dinner tonight and my mom picked hers out and gave me every single one–yummy!

I dislike Brussel sprouts as well but will eat them because I know they’re good for me. My dad makes a good stir-fry with them. I also dislike eating cooked carrots and red pepper in stir-fries (carrots are okay if they’re steamed/boiled). Red peppers are good on pizza or raw or in sauces. I really dislike bean sprouts though and refuse to eat them. Other than those, I’m game for anything.

83 Erik Marcus April 19, 2010

I’m not always big on salads, so meals like this are a great way to really get your vegetable consumption to spike, while still eating something vaguely comforting. I love Susan’s recipes, and this seems like a great variation.

84 ::christine:: April 20, 2010

brussel sprouts and artichoke hearts in the jar look like brains to me ;D

85 Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 20, 2010

Love that little motivational saying by Oprah Winfrey! I posted that on my SparkPeople web page. Thanks Angela!

As for the green bean casserole, yummy again! I’ll have to try that one during the holidays.

The one vegetable I don’t much like and I don’t think it’s a veggie, it’s more like a legume are lima beans. I’ll eat snap peas but I’m not a big fan.

I’d never had Kale until the Green Monster movement, but I don’t like the smell of it when steamed.

86 Sarah April 21, 2010

So I have a yummy way to eat Kale…got it out of February’s Vegetarian Times and just modified. Take approx. 3 inch long kale leaves and drizzle with olive oil and salt (or kosher salt). Bake at 350 for like 7 mins then flip for a few more until they are crispy. I found that they actually tasted a tad like potato chips! But not the, um, later belches. LOL!

87 Radhika Sarohia November 27, 2012

I have mushrooms and green beans and everything, gonna try making this soon. (I’ve bookmarked too many vegan green bean casserole recipes online haha)