Now That’s A Big Bowl

Good morning! :)

So what was this fabulous dinner I was alluding to last night?

Let me show you…

IMG 4027 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl IMG 4043 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

Protein, grains, veggies…OH MY.

IMG 4024 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl IMG 4025 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

and healthy fats to boot!

IMG 4050 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

This was one of my favourite dinners in a long time…

You simply cannot go wrong with caramelized sweet onions.

IMG 4063 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl..

It totally had a Fresh Bowl feel to it which is always a good thing!

Hey chick!

IMG 4067 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

Rocking the bird food.

IMG 4065 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

1 cup of quinoa has over 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre…you wouldn’t expect that for such a light and airy grain!

IMG 4068 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

Protein Power Bowl

IMG 4060 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

Adapted from the always fabulous 101 Cookbooks.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups uncooked quinoa + 4 cups water 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chickpeas, canned
  • 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted if preferred
  • 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch segments
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds per bowl
  • 1/4 cup Better Than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette, to taste
  • Black pepper and sea salt, to taste

Directions: Cook 2 cups quinoa in 4 cups of water in a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking you can sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat. After a few minutes, add the chopped asparagus to the onion mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or so, or until lightly browned. Fluff cooked quinoa and pour on some Better Than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette- use as much or as little as you want. I probably used about 1/4 cup to lightly toss the quinoa and then I used a bit more of the dressing to pour over top of the bowl when I was ready to eat. Scoop quinoa as the base for the bowl and then start adding your toppings in each section- asparagus, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, chickpeas, and onions. Serve and enjoy the leftovers for days to come!

IMG 4072 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

I love sneaking in chia seeds whenever I can! Hint- My new Raw and Gluten Free Glo Bar is loaded with chia seeds!! I’m so excited to show you this bar!

IMG 4069 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

The bunny sure loved it, but was sad there were no carrots. :(

IMG 4074 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

This recipe made a ton of leftovers too (it serves about 6 people). I’m not complaining…leftovers for lunches! Eric gave it two thumbs up. He said, ‘I love all the crunchy textures.’ There is something for everyone in this dish.

IMG 4075 thumb   Now That’s A Big Bowl

In other news, I can’t stop eating Vegan Overnight Oats. My next batch is coming up on OSG! Clue: Carob powder and pumpkin were in the mix. I love carob powder because it is so sweet and means that you don’t need to add much sweetener at all. By the way- if you have made a batch of my Vegan Overnight Oats and posted about it on your blog, send me the link and I will post the link.

Today’s question- What is your approach to cooking on weekends? Do you use the extra time to cook more or to do food prep for the week to come?

I tend to cook more on the weekends since I have more time and I rarely feel like cooking much during the week after a long day of baking. I love cooking big batches of things and then having leftovers or freezing things like my ‘Neat’ Sauce. On Sundays, I usually spend about 30 minutes chopping veggies that I put in Tupperware so they can be grabbed for quick snacks during the week.

Here’s to a healthy and glowing weekend!

Tiffany April 10, 2010

wow, that is such a simple, but AMAZING-looking recipe!! i love that the toppings are in separate parts of the bowl. i find that when a lot of different ingredients are cooked together and all mixed up, i don’t get to taste each unique flavor. i’m going to have to try this! thanks!!

Bjørn Børresen April 10, 2010

wow, looks delicious! Going to have to check it out. I guess you can’t beat meat though, when it comes to protein;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2010

To each their own..haha ;)

Kelly April 10, 2010

That dinner looks delicious! I’ll have to try it soon.
I’m the same way, I love to cook lots of leftovers on Sundays so I can have lunches and some easy dinners for the week. I feel so much more ready for a healthy week that way!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 10, 2010

I love caramelized onions so that bowl looks delicious! On the weekends, I always cook food for our lunches during the week. I also may cut up any fruits/veggies and I may bake something. When it comes to dinner, I love to cook everynight because it is comforting and relaxing for me.

Meg April 10, 2010

I think this dinner may be in the books for me tonight. It looks absolutely amazing and as I eat breakfast right now, I can’t wait for dinner to roll around!

Diana April 10, 2010

Wow, that dinner looks amazing! :) So many good stuff!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 10, 2010

Well I work on weekends so for me it’s totally opposite, I have no time for cooking. Especially if we have evening plans. Like tonight I’m not off until 8 so I’ll just make some burgers quickly.

EaterNotARunner April 10, 2010

That looks SO good! I usually roast a bunch of veggies on sunday to get ready for the week. Definitely helps to have easy lunches ready to go!

chai am woman April 10, 2010

YUM that looks good! i am on and off about how i prep for the week. i’m just now getting into a routine of eating healthier (i’m going meal by meal… breakfast and soon i’ll move up to “cleaning” my lunch, etc.) so i think the sunday food prep will work for me.

Tiffany Cantrell April 10, 2010

Yummy….looks so good! Thanks for sharing.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 10, 2010

This looks awesome — easy to make, delicious and super-healthy. All the components of a good meal.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen April 10, 2010

That IS a big bowl. A big bowl of powerful goodies! I sent you a message a few days ago about an interview- let me know if you’re interested in taking part.

Ricki April 10, 2010

I do the same thing as you on weekends–LOVE big bowl dinners! This is so much like my dinner bowls, though I guess the variations are endless. I usually put tahini sauce on mine–never even thought of vinaigrette. The other thing I do on weekends is soup because it keeps for days in the fridge; I also love pasta or grain salads for the same reason. And you can’t lose with marinated tofu!:)

Ricki April 10, 2010

Sorry for the double comment–not sure what happened! Feel free to delete one ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2010

ahhh I’m not sure what is going on with the comments :( I might have to uninstall the plug-in…I think that is what is causing the issues!

Therese April 10, 2010

Oh my! That bowl looks AWESOME!! And you’re right, it’s very Fresh! Yum!!!

I have little time during the week to cook anything that takes too long so I tend to save my “best” meals for the weekend and then save the leftovers for lunches! Yum! Although with my boyfriend off work for the month I’ve been having dinner prepared for me during the weekdays which has been fantastic!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 10, 2010

That protein power bowl looks fantastic! I like how it’s versatile (you can switch up the components) :D

I forgot I had carob powder…I’m sure it would be great in overnight oats!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 10, 2010

This is perfect! I was actually looking for a way to use up the rest of my chickpeas tonight! I was thinking of a curry of some kind, but this looks even better! :D I think I might add some leftover zuccini to mine too.

Jenny April 10, 2010

On the weekends, i definetly prep for the week ahead- but summer break is coming soon, I can’t wait for that!

Marina April 10, 2010

This looks like an amazing meal! I love quinoa, and next thing I’ll try with this is sweet qinoa for breakfast!
I specially love quinoa with roasted veggies and avocado, it all gets so creamy and yummy!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 10, 2010

YUM, that bowl looks awesome! And it seems super adaptable to every person’s different preferences. I’m excited to hear about the Glo bar!
I actually do more cooking during the week, strange.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 10, 2010

Mm that sounds fabulous!! I think I cook more during the week too- I get lazy on the weekend!

skinnyrunner April 10, 2010

i just started pre-chopping veggies, and it is so much easier! i always thought because i have plenty of time that i didnt need to, but when you’re standing hungry in front of the fridge its so much nicer when the vegs are all ready to go.

Dawn April 10, 2010

That looks so YUMMY! Can’t wait to try it!! :)

I don’t cook a whole lot on the weekends, we sometimes BBQ – especially if it’s gorgeous out like today. If I do cook though, I cook double the amount and save half for leftovers during the week. With 3 kids and lots of busy nights, it really helps from a time standpoint.

Enjoy the sunshine today!

nut April 10, 2010

Wow. Really nice Angela.

Julie @ Wearing Mascara April 10, 2010

That bowl looks ah-mazing! Thanks for sharing!

Run Sarah April 10, 2010

Angela that looks awesome, I can’t wait to try it!

Kelsey April 10, 2010

its a nice visual too to see the balanced food groups layed out like that. i bet it was super satisfying. nom nom nom delicious.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 10, 2010

holy yum, that bowl sounds absolutely YUMMY! i can only imagine how fabulous is tastes :) i’m working on trying to do prep work more often on the weekends but haven’t mastered it just yet!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 10, 2010

I love incorporating chia seeds in as much as possible too!

I tend to experiment with more recipes on the weekend as well as do more elaborate ones that take more time. Goodness, I love weekends :)

Carissa @ Fit To Indulge April 10, 2010

Yum yum!! As always, beautiful food photos. I use the weekends to cook something new. Meditation in the kitchen is the best kind. Then on Sunday I cook up my staples for the week. :)

Jenn April 10, 2010

Looks great! Now craving a delicous bowl…going to go hunting in the cupboards!
I prefer to spend some time on the weekend to prep food for thte week. I also like to menu plan and take that with me grocery shopping. For me, to not make the time my life gets stressful, so to plan is to have a good week in my house!

Sarah April 10, 2010

i love the line about bird food. one of my friends in high school used to make fun of me because “all you eat is BIRD FOOD!” i took it as a compliment :)

Ali April 10, 2010

Yummmm looks good! I was just wondering how many servings this recipe makes?

Jennie {in Wonderland} April 10, 2010

The picture of that bowl is seriously making my stomach growl.

I think I would use hummus instead of the chickpeas. I also like the idea of doing a Mexican bowl… chunky homemade salsa, crushed blue corn tortilla chips, chopped chives, tomatoes, jalapenos or chillies, guacamole, maybe polenta? I can think of a bunch of yummy combinations!!

Definitely trying this out soon :-) Do you think red quinoa would work too? That’s all I have and it was super expensive so I want to try to use it up before I buy white.

I love how you said ‘bird food’ too… my bf always tells me all I eat is “air”. bahahaha. I love it. I LOVE AIR! ;-)

Midgetkeeper April 10, 2010

That looks delicious! My cooking only changes in that I tend to make bigger breakfast or brunches. I also prep veggies, fruits, and make lunches for the kids on Sundays so that everything is easier to put together during the week.

Leah @ L4L April 10, 2010

When I was working two jobs, I did all my cooking on the weekends and lived off the leftovers during the week. Now that I am working like a normal person, we are tending to go out more on the weekends and less cooking… just cuz we can!

Carly @ The Road To Health April 10, 2010

I definitely cook less on the weekend, we often will eat out, or grab something to-go somewhere while we are having fun doing other things! I enjoy cooking during the week. That bowl looks FANTASTIC! I’m totally going to make that :) Have a great weekend!

Jen April 10, 2010

That looks delicious! I love anything involving chickpeas – I’ll definitely have to jot down the ingredients for next week (now I’m kinda sad that I’ve already bought groceries for this week!)

Jolene April 10, 2010

On the weekends I always take more time to cook (if we are not going out with friends). My breakfasts are always better on the weekends, lunch is usually something basic like soup or a sandwich, and then dinner is elaborate, or we go out to a restaurant.

Laura Georgina April 10, 2010

That’s one amazing-looking bowl! Definitely going to be making this soon.

I try to cook a big soup or stew on the weekend, on top of whatever else I make, so that I can freeze it and have it for the week to come. I need to chop veggies and store them for the week, like you do–I’m trying to eat more crudites but just can’t handle peeling and chopping in the mornings :-)

Page 1 of 212»