Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Greetings! Might I ask how is it Thursday already!?

Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Adapted from Ohh May’s Vegan Overnight Oats.

PM Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
  • 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

This picture was actually taken after 1 hour in the fridge…I was like a kid on X-mas Eve and just had to peek at the presents before bed!

IMG 3907 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Mental rotation…

IMG 3904 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

Little known fact about me- I am HORRIBLE at mental rotation- especially 3-D!

mentalrotationtest thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

I am the type of person who turns a map… It is probably one of the things I do that irritates (and amuses) Eric the most. It is also probably the reason he bought me a GPS for my car… :mrgreen:

In the morning, remove bowl from fridge and add your magical toppings

AM Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon nut butter
  • Pure Maple Syrup

Directions: Serve nut butter in a spoon and drizzle Maple syrup over top. Serve overnight oats cold.

IMG 3924 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

WOW, these were magical!

IMG 3922 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

All mixed up!

IMG 3925 thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

I admit, the whole thought of eating oats COLD without cooking them totally turned me off…it just sounded GROSS…and wrong…but ohhh was this so RIGHT!

I think the banana is key in the oat mixture to add sweetness and the toppings really make it come alive into something exciting to eat!

I thought because I didn’t have any yogurt it would be a huge fail, but by increasing the chia seeds and almond milk, I was able to mimic the yogurt consistency.

The best part of it is that it took literally 2 minutes to whip together and throw in the fridge the night before. These would be a great option for summer when you don’t feel like a hot bowl of oats.

I did up the nutritional information because I know how much you guys love it!

This nutritional information includes: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, and 1 small banana.

Untitled thumb   Easy Vegan Overnight Oats

9 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre before you even add any toppings- nice! :)

Updates:

Today’s question- Have you ever tried overnight oats? How do you make them? If you haven’t tried them, would you?

I was scared, but I took one for the team and gave it a whirl…and I am so glad I did. I can see myself experimenting with all different kinds of concoctions! :)

I’m off to get my Glo Bar delivery ready for the STORE!!

Erika April 8, 2010

I absolutely love love love overnight oats. I pretty much have them every morning while sitting in my car counting down the last few minutes before I have to go into work. My latest concoction has been to have them with banana and peaches along with the usual yogurt and chia seeds. Sort of like a peaches and cream dessert. Soooooo good! I’m glad you finally jumped on the OO bandwagon :)

Theresa April 8, 2010

Those overnight oats sound SO good! YUM! I have also been so nervous to try them but your post inspired me! I think they will be perfect for breakfast next week before work! I will have to add some ingredients to my grocery list. I also have a question, how did you calculate the nutrition info like that?

Thank you! :) I love your blog!!!

Iris April 8, 2010

I LOVE overnight oats!! I make them with

- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1/2 cup of 8th Continent (Light) Vanilla soy milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dime-sized amount of honey (but lately I’ve been trying it w/o the honey to decrease sweeteners in my diet)

I like eating them cold. I usually end up making about 5 in advance…….and I eat them on my days off for lunch, along with an apple and frozen banana. Love it!

Caz April 8, 2010

I always assumed Overnight Oats was just the American name for Bircher Muesli which is very common here in Australia and something that I think has been around in Europe for ages and ages.

Perhaps because it’s so warm the whole year here, it’s on every breakfast menu in every cafe and there’s a ton of different variations. It’s definitely delicious!

But I don’t think Alton Brown invented it, despite what he may claim.

Kris April 8, 2010

I love overnight oats, if I can leave them alone until morning. I start snacking on them shortly after making (I’m weird, I don’t mind the taste of raw oats). I make mine w/ soy milk, vanilla, craisins, and almonds. I had to quit making them because I was eating too much of them!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) April 8, 2010

I tried to make them the other night. My oats never absorbed the liquid! What did I do wrong? I used 1/3 cup GF oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, and 1/3 cup water; covered my bowl, and left it in the frige overnight.

court June 24, 2010

did you try using the ground flax or chia seeds? that’s supposed to thicken it…

mountain girl April 8, 2010

How ’bout one-WEEK oats??? You can make awesome yogurt by blending oats with water til smooth and thick, then culture in a yogurt maker or warm place for 48 hours or longer. For toppings, I stir in coconut milk, cinnamon, chia and flax meal, shredded coconut, stevia, and sometimes blueberries. It’s so good…I’m getting addicted! It works even better with whole oat groats. You can learn more if you google “oatgurt”.

Jessica April 8, 2010

I’m such a fan of overnight oats! Who doesn’t love a quick, warm and filling breakfast?! I like to add coconut milk yogurt along w/ vanilla hemp milk for extra richness, molasses for a touch of sweet and then it’s all about the spices: cardamom, ginger, curry and cloves (not all at once)are my key to not getting bored w/ it. Yum!

Rebecca April 8, 2010

are you supposed to cover the bowl or just leave in the fridge open?

unavocis April 8, 2010

Very cool :) I look forward to trying this! Before I got too far into it, I thought you were going to discuss a slow cooker recipe. But I was not disappointed!
Love the recipe :)

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 9, 2010

I’ve blogged a few times about my overnight oats. Usually involves chocolate & PB (which you can add in the night before, btw, too).

And I don’t eat mine cold — I warm them up in my oven at the lowest setting for about 20-30 minutes — it’s like eating an oatmeal cookie & I adore it.

And a big congrats on getting into a store! We’ll all be able to say we knew you when.

Susan April 9, 2010

I am convinced that Alton Brown is the source of most genius culinary delights ;)

I have tried and tried, and I just cannot get into overnight oats. I prefer my breakfasts to be warm when possible, and when given the choice I will always choose HOT oats over cold ones! (but with an ICED coffee please ;) )

Jolene April 9, 2010

I have never tried overnight oats, but I plan on trying them soon!

Candice April 10, 2010

I’m so glad you finally tried overnight oats! I love them! They are a great idea for those of us who have to leave for work really early or have to eat on the go. I make the vegan version, but usually add pumpkin and cinnamon to mine. Love them! Oh, and chia seeds are definitely the “icing on the cake”:)

Lynda April 10, 2010

First time trying overnight oats, I was a little skeptical. I really don’t like the idea of cold oatmeal, but these were pretty good. I’m very impressed and I am curious to see how long I stay full for. I will definetly be posting this recipe on my blog too. Thanks,Ang!

Nichole May 8, 2010

Angela, I just got turned on to your blog and this was the first thing I made. OMG, yum!

Here’s mine: http://veganniche.blogspot.com/2010/05/overnight-oats.html

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Nicole June 1, 2010

Hi Angela.

This recipe is rather amazing. Thank you very much for sharing. Both my husband and I really enjoyed it this morning.

I found your website for Green Monsters a while ago, and made them for a while. Then winter came, and I got away from them, and frankly, completely forgot about them. But then I remembered them, and had one yesterday morning…delish!

Your ‘Oh She Glows’ website is fantastic. I really enjoy reading through everything. You are quite an inspiration. :)

Tonight I’m making your ‘cheesy’ oats. I’ve never used nutritional yeast before, but I’m quite an adventurous person in the kitchen.

Take care,
Nicole

Katie June 19, 2010

OMG…. overnight oats sound so good!! Thanks for the awesome tip! Especially in the summer… eating something hot just isn’t as appealing.
I soak my cereal the night before I eat it too…. corn flakes or special k. Its very very good.
How mushy do the oats get? Would it get softer/ more mushy leaving it longer…. like ‘soaked for 30 hours oats’?

court June 23, 2010

about the overnight oats: is it important to use chia seeds? and, do i need to use almond milk? or would normal skim milk work okay?

AngelaOSG June 23, 2010

Normal milk will work! YOu need either chia seeds or ground flax seeds typically to make it thick enough. Otherwise it will be watery.

court June 24, 2010

okay, thanks! these look amazing, i’ll be trying them soon :)

Debbie McKnight July 3, 2010

Well I’m a little behind, but I just tried VOO. I thought, “How good can they be?” Boy was I surprised! They are delicious!! I just sliced up some strawberries (no nut butter or syrup for me) and it was fabulous. I’ll be having those a lot more often. I put brown rice protein powder in mine and it tasted great. When I put it in hot oats, it’s rather nasty. Thanks for a great new breakfast idea.

Eleanor July 12, 2010

I love overnight oats (or cold porridge, as it’s probably less interestingly called here in England!) probably even more than hot ones but, and this is probably weird, I just put them in water overnight and eat them like that… Mmmmm! x

Eleanor July 12, 2010

Ps – I’ve just read Katie’s comment and if you leave them in the fridge like that two nights, they’re even better!

Jeneine Boyd July 26, 2010

Hi Angela,
I love your recipes on your website!
I have a querie regarding portion size of overnight oats, & nut butter, & prunes/dried fruit, and was wondering if you could give me your opininion.
I make overnight oats for my husband & myself – enough to last for a few days to a week depending on how hungry my husband is. My recipe is as follows – 3 cups organic rolled oats, 3 tbls chia seed, 1/2 cup pepitas, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 2 tbls organic shredded coconut, cinnamon to taste, 1/2 cup raisins, this is all soaked in water overnight & left in the fridge until all consumed throughout the week by the 2 of us. AM topping for myself are 6-8 nuts, brazil, macadamia, cashew & almonds, 3 prunes, tsp flaxseed meal, and a drizzle of Agavae Syrup. I serve myself 5 heaped tbls which is equivalent to about 3/4 of a cup. Do you think this is too much? And is that too many nuts & dried prunes to add in the AM? I have this for brunch & have some raw vegies if hungry in the afternoon to tide me ove till dinner. Also with the nut butters, when I have them on my spelt toast I spread it quite thick it would probably be 1 1/2 tbls is that too much?, lunch is then usually followed with a smoothie made from a big handful of baby spinach, 1/2 cup rasberries, 1/4 frozen banana, an apple, tbls maca powder, tbls chia, tbls flaxseed meal, 1 cup H2O, & 1/2 cup rice milk.
I would really love your response to these questions.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2010

Hey there!
I can’t comment specifically on whether it is too much because for one I don’t know how many calories you need and two I am not sure what the caloric breakdown would be for your recipe. =) I would suggest going to nutritiondata.com and entering in the recipe and then dividing it by the amount of servings you get out of it, to find out the nutrit. breakdown. Hope this helps! =)
Angela

elaine! August 7, 2010

I tried overnight oats once and they were nasty. I think it’s because most recipes call for yogurt, which I simply don’t like very much. I’m going to try again one of these days without yogurt, because I LOVE my hot oatmeal on cold mornings. I think I needed more sweetness and a less soupy texture, so I’ll try the mashed banana thing for sure.

Clare August 12, 2010

I know I am the last person on the boat for this but I just tried overnight oats for the first time last week and they were AMAZING. They have completely changed my mornings and energy/mood for the first half of the day!

THANK YOU.

Cameron August 13, 2010

These looks amazing… but how imperative are the chia seeds? I can’t find any in my area… is there something you can replace them with?

Kelly Izzo August 16, 2010

I tried these for breakfast today, really really good! Thanks for posting! :)

I linked to your blog, you should check mine out. Kelly-izzo.blogspot.com

Epicurean Vegan August 24, 2010

Oh my gosh, that looks wonderful! I will definitely try that. Thanks!

Kelli September 4, 2010

I just stumbled upon your website the other day. I am training for my first marathon and usually down a few chia seeds before runs. This morning I did my first 20 miler and thought there was no better time than that to try your overnight oats. I fell in love! They were delicious and I have never felt better! I finished my run with a green monster! Thanks for all the advice and I can’t wait to keep trying all of these wonderful suggestions!

Tiffany September 7, 2010

Hi- not exactly sure how I found your website but I have been enjoying the vegan overnight oats for a few days now and love them (and have told my mom about them) and I have also made one of your recent cookie recipes. Thank you so much for posting. I’m about to celebrate 6 months going vegan (and honestly never felt better) and I have been struggling with my sweet tooth so your recipes and insight have been really encouraging for me. Originally from California, I’m currently living in Aberdeen, Scotland (almost 3 years now), it’s been challenging being vegan surrounded by a lot of friends who think I’m strange and being picky…so it’s been nice to receive some great encouragement and support even if it’s through a blog!

Kristen September 14, 2010

Thank you so much for the food ideas. I just tried this last night and this morning had one yummy breakfast (I don’t have the chia seeds yet, though). I am trying so hard to get healthy, but fall off quite often, and my body and emotions feel it, then my family suffers too. Do you have a “grocery list” of the items you buy on a regular basis? I’m desperate for a little guidance and help to getting more consistent. HELP!

Rasha September 18, 2010

Two words: nom nom.

I’ve actually been making these for quite some time now, even before my obsessed friend lead me to your website and showed me this recipe. How awesome is that! :)

I like adding a bunch of stuff to mine, including ground flax seeds, wheat germ, a little bit of coconut flour, cinnamon, kasha, and I sometimes half the oats with spelt/rye flakes. Today is the first time I add the chia seeds and the banana, so I’m sooo excited for tomorrow morning! I almost want to eat it now! But ah, patience!

Thank you! :)

-Rasha

Danielle April 10, 2012

I have been enjoying overnight oats ever since I saw them on this blog. I’ve discovered that a combo of cinnamon, raisins, bananas and almond extract makes the oats taste like cookies :)

Jennifer Jasman April 10, 2012

I am trying the overnight oats for the second time (will have them tomorrow morning) The first time (last year) I made them with quick oats and I really couldnt get past the look of them…this time I got some regular oats and I am going to share them with my hubby hopping it turns out as it looks like a lot of people really like them YAY for trying new things :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2012

Yes they are much much better with regular oats…I hope it goes better for you!

Jon @Elements2Lead April 11, 2012

These were amazing. What a great way to have something ready in the morning. Thank you so much for sharing. Love your story too. Keep being the person you are! Thanks.

Jennifer Jasman April 11, 2012

Update: Both me and my husband liked them although I wouldnt have it every day definitly going to put it the weekly rotation. I did however read the recipe incorrectly and added 2/3 Cups of oats, it actually was a good amount for sharing :) I will try other flavours as I progress :) Thanks Angela for the encouragement!

Isabelle April 18, 2012

LOVE, love love this recipe. My 13 year old son tried it this morning and loved it too.
I made it with my winter fruit compote instead of banada and that is soooo yummy :)
PS: never had Chia seeds before and love those too.
God bless the day I found your blog!

Beth April 18, 2012

Can I substitute the Chai Seed with Flax seed? I couldn’t find any at my grocery store

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

I dont think it will have the same effect, although I could be wrong!

Julie May 16, 2012

Oh ye non-lovers of the overnight oatmeal, try your oats made in the morning with 1 c oats, 2 c almond milk. Cook 20 min and add 1 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tbsp flax. Spoon into bowls and add 1 tsp almond butter and a splash of almond milk. Mmmmm. Warm creamy, dreamy chocolatey pudding for breakfast! And it’s healthy! But shhh! It’s my little secret!

Johanna May 18, 2012

I have just prepared my over night oats for the morning! (first time trying it!) But I ran out of chia seeds. Could anything else be substituted? Flaxseed perhaps? Thank you, and cannot wait to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012

Ive tried it with ground flax before and I wasnt a fan personally!

Page 3 of 4«1234»