On Top Of Spaghetti…

All covered in cheeze

I created this NEAT sauce…

and hubby said ‘Yes Please!’

It’s been stuck in my head all day! :mrgreen:

Presenting my newest quick and easy vegan recipe…

Spaghetti with ‘Neat’ Sauce and Cheeze

IMG 3888 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

Ingredients:

• 1.5 bottles of spaghetti sauce (or make your own)
  • One 450 gram package of green lentils
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Seasonings (I used parsley and PC sun-dried tomato)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Vegan Parmesan cheeze
  • Spaghetti noodles

Directions: Cook 1 bag of lentils according to directions on package. Rinse and drain. Stir in 1.5 bottles of spaghetti sauce, minced garlic, salt, and seasonings. Serve over your favourite noodles along with 60 second Vegan Parmesan cheeze.

IMG 3848 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

It makes a HUGE amount! A great make-ahead meal. I’m sure this would work in the slow cooker too- I am just not sure on the liquid amounts.

IMG 3853 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

In just 1 cup of cooked green lentils there is a whopping 23 grams of protein and 26 grams of fibre!!! Talk about satiety. :)

IMG 3861 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

IMG 3862 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

60 second Vegan Parmesan cheeze. Eric LOVES this stuff- he sprinkles it on everything and said he will never buy regular parmesan cheese again!

IMG 3865 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

The lentils give this sauce amazing texture just like meat would.

IMG 3868 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

This batch makes so much I freeze about 4-5 servings in Pyrex containers. It makes for some quick and easy dinners! Great for lunches for the week too.

IMG 3890 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

In other news, I changed the colours on the Glo Bar labels! I wanted them spiffy looking for the store shelves. :) They scream EAT ME, don’t they? ;)

IMG 3860 thumb   On Top Of Spaghetti…

Updates:

Tonight’s question- Are you a pasta lover? What is your favourite dish or type of pasta?

I’m not a big pasta fan, but my two favourite kinds are angel hair and spaghetti. I also want to make a vegan version of linguine alfredo some day! That would be a challenge…

Have a great night! :)

Jenn April 7, 2010

love, love, love pasta. total redlight food for me as once I start eating it – I don’t want to stop! Love the lentil sauce, it looks great!

kalli@fitandfortysomething April 7, 2010

that looks amazing! i love pasta and could eat it all the time!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 7, 2010

I think you just totally and completely 100% sold me on lentils. I knew they had good nutritional stats, but WOW.

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 7, 2010

im not really a spaghetti girl–but i LOVE it with lentils. match made in food heaven :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 7, 2010

I am a pasta QUEEN!!!! My favorite is cappelini (I know I did not spell that right) or angel hair with marinara sauce with mushrooms…YUM!!!
And yeah… you will be my hero if you can make linguini alfredo! For real.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

I will do my best! :)

*Andrea* April 7, 2010

this looks amazing! simple too–which is essential for my lack of culinary skills haha.

LOVE THE LABELS!!! they’re chic, yet scream “eat me! i am healthy and delicious!” ;)

Kristy April 7, 2010

Homesense…. has a GREAT marinara sauce… I tried it last weekend and it was AWESOME! I highly recommend it! It is all veggies….which i love more than anything! Also at William & Sonoma they have an amazing RUSTIC VEGETABLE sauce to DIE FOR…. i am sure you would love love love it!

I am a HUGE pasta fan- i love all types!

Halima April 7, 2010

all i have to say is OMG!!!! i am a huuuuge lentil fan and just last week i was giving some to my one year old son and i heated it up a little too much so i put some cold pasta sauce on it and it was the must delish thing i have ever tasted. love pasta but i stay away from it, not worth it to me!

jessica April 7, 2010

I only love pasta because it’s an excuse to eat my Italian mother’s homemade tomato sauce.. really I could just eat the sauce but that would be weird so I add some pasta.

Candice April 7, 2010

That pasta sauce looks awesome! What a great idea to add lentils. It’s funny because I’ve always thought it sounded odd to add beans to tomato pasta sauce, so I never knew how to add protein. But the other day I added black beans for the first time, and they were great! When I got to thinking about the combination I suddenly realized – why not?! Kind of like your savory oats. It still seems kind of odd to me, but there is really no reason why! I’ve got to try those by the way:)

Danielle April 7, 2010

Yay! I make a similar sauce with red and green lentils, simmered long enough for the lentils to break down. It’s one of my husband’s favorite dinners, and he usually suggests it as the dish I serve for omni company. Nice work!

Audrey April 7, 2010

That’s so cool that Eric likes the cheeze. I’ve gotta make that!
Your spaghetti looks great. What kind of spaghetti did you use? Regular? Whole wheat? Rice pasta? Quinoa pasta? There are so many kinds today!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

its just regular white pasta but usually we use spelt

Emily Eats Clean April 7, 2010

CHEESE ravolli!!!! Yummy!! I need to try fixing lentils, they look so good!

-emily

mountain girl April 7, 2010

Have you seen this AWESOME vegan mac ‘n cheese recipe by the Puer2Raw twins? It’s SO good! I’ve made it the original version with quinoa, and also with whole wheat spaghetti.Totally easy and yummy!

Jenn April 7, 2010

I’m not a huge pasta fan. However I love lentils!

Little Aspects April 8, 2010

Love pasta!! I make a similar lentil and tomato pasta sauce (usually with mushrooms as well). I always make my tomatoey pasta sauce from scratch though – the key is good quality tomatoes (the cold-storage supermarket kind definitely doesn’t cut it! Use canned if you can’t get good, fresh tomatoes.)

Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce:

1 onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
lots of fresh, ripe tomatoes (I buy my tomatoes from local farmers and they are soooo good!)
Dry white wine
Olive oil
Fresh basil

Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil, then turn the heat down, put the lid on and wait 15mins until they are soft.

Turn the heat back up, add in some white wine (quarter of a cup or so) and cook the wine off.

Add the tomatoes (diced) and stir. Once they have been heated through, pop the lid of the saucepan back on, turn the heat down and simmer for 45mins to 1 hour.

When the sauce is done, I usually saute in a separate pan some cannelini beans, mushrooms and spinach, then toss through freshly cooked pasta with the tomatoey sauce, fresh basil and top with some toasted pinenuts.

OR – our other favourite –

Roast the whole tomatoes in the oven along with some thinly sliced eggplant and zucchini, brushed with a little olive oil. Toss all of them through freshly cooked pasta, breaking the tomatoes up as you go so that the tomatoes ooze all through the pasta. Top with toasted pinenuts. (This works well with cherry tomatoes)

Miss T April 8, 2010

Hi Angela,
Just a quick question about your labels (which look very pretty btw): I notice you have both ‘Dairy-free’ and ‘Vegan’ on them. Is this for consumers who don’t know that vegan does mean dairy-free? In that case, would it be worth putting ‘dairy and egg free’ or even ‘dairy, egg and honey-free’ to be clear?
Good luck with the new stockist,
Cheers,
Rachel

Sam @ Snowflakes and Sunshine April 8, 2010

I love pasta. Lasagne is definitely my favourite – must be something to do with all the cheese!!

Sarah April 8, 2010

Here’s an easy recipe for alfredo: http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/

There’s also one in the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook that uses pinenuts instead of cashews: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=109. It’s similar. I made one this week with MimicCreme. So easy!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 8, 2010

I adore pasta, it’s one of the reasons I could live in Italy for the rest of my life ;)

Yours looks very good!

Yeaaahtoast April 8, 2010

Not the hugest pasta fan, the gluten makes me loagy. However, I love Ancient Harvest’s Quinoa pasta, IT’S AMAZING!!! Love the curls for chilled pasta salad!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 8, 2010

Eh, I’ll take or leave pasta. It all comes down to the sauce! I’d LOVE to put your lentil sauce on some quinoa though!

Laura April 8, 2010

Just wondering, do you ever see yourself shipping the glo bars to the UK cause they look so yummy!

jassy April 8, 2010

i’m a pasta lover…more on the cream base pasta though…but i try to avoid it because i’m still a baby when it comes to embracing a healthy lifestyle=)

Kari April 8, 2010

My Mum used to make something like this as her vegetarian alternative to meat sauces :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 8, 2010

What a great dish! I love lentils =D

I can give or take pasta. I don’t make it very often because it is SO easy for me to overeat it, I don’t think it’s very filling. However, topped with a lentil sauce it may just fill me! I love a good pasta primavera!

xo
K

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 8, 2010

That sauce sounds fantastic!!! And your new labels look great :)

Ali April 8, 2010

I love pasta, although I’m not a huge cream sauce fan. I go for tomato sauce every once in a while, but I love a drizzle of good olive oil and some roasted garlic or basil. I like thicker pastas like penna, and really love filled pastas. I like the chewy, thick taste.

You might want to try http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ for a good vegan cream sauce. She’s got lots of modified recipes there that are delish, and you might find something you can tweak. I think she did dairy-free au gratin potatoes once.

Kirsten April 8, 2010

I think I want to try making this sauce. For some reason I am always scared to try to cook lentils. I don’t know why!

Gaia3465 April 8, 2010

I have always loved pasta, but after going gluten and dairy free for 5 months, I cannot eat my old favorite (creamy chicken alfredo) without feeling like it’s wrong. I love some gluten free penne pasta, zucchini, and edamame tossed together with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and paprika. It’s my go to meal.

mkg April 8, 2010

I’m loving Green Monsters I have them almost every morning :) great new site too…I’m almost ready to move on from the original one.

Tabitha April 8, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’ve just recently started to read your blog and I love it! What a great idea to use lentils instead of having to use meat! I’m going to have to try this sometime soon. Also, where did you get the napkin from? It’s so colorful!

Melissa April 8, 2010

Love that sauce! Lentils are awesome and your pasta looks so yummy!
I like your glo bar labels…lots of color:)

MB April 8, 2010

I’m Italian so I think loving pasta is in my genes. My favorite kind is angel hair with roasted veggies tossed in garlic and oil. MMMMmmmmm…..

Clea April 8, 2010

Hm..I tried to leave a comment yesterday but it didn’t work! Sadface. It was my first comment, so I was all blah blah blah, I love your blog, etc. etc. etc. ;-) but I recommend the vegan alfredo from the cookbook Yellow Rose Recipes. Sooo good and easy. The Vegan YumYum version looks good too, and there are a whole bunch on the blog “Yeahthatveganshit” (just do a search for alfredo, I’m too lazy to dig up the links that I tried posting before!) Also, Vegan Dad made a version as did Happy Herbivore.

Jolene April 9, 2010

Your pics looks great in this post!!!! Even greater than the usual great pics :-)

I adore pasta. I could eat it everyday forever. Spaghetti is my number 1.

Jennie {in Wonderland} April 10, 2010

My favourite pasta is either ‘pulse’ spaghetti, made out of chickpeas – it’s DELICIOUS or spelt/hemp pasta. My favourite thing to do with pasta is cook it, then load it with raw broccoli, steamed asparagus, cherry tomatoes, caramelised onions, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and a hemp oil/garlic/lemon/red wine vinegar/tamari marinade.

OMG… it’s so good.

kay April 11, 2010

Sounds really good, I will see if i can get hubby to try, WAY outside of his comfort zone

vegan April 13, 2010

Your spaghetti looks delicious … I’ll definitely give it a try.

Here’s a spicy vegetable pasta dish you might like:

Page 2 of 2«12