On Top Of Spaghetti…

All covered in cheeze

I created this NEAT sauce…

and hubby said ‘Yes Please!’

It’s been stuck in my head all day! :mrgreen:

Presenting my newest quick and easy vegan recipe…

Spaghetti with ‘Neat’ Sauce and Cheeze

IMG_3888

Ingredients:

• 1.5 bottles of spaghetti sauce (or make your own)
  • One 450 gram package of green lentils
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Seasonings (I used parsley and PC sun-dried tomato)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Vegan Parmesan cheeze
  • Spaghetti noodles

Directions: Cook 1 bag of lentils according to directions on package. Rinse and drain. Stir in 1.5 bottles of spaghetti sauce, minced garlic, salt, and seasonings. Serve over your favourite noodles along with 60 second Vegan Parmesan cheeze.

IMG_3848

It makes a HUGE amount! A great make-ahead meal. I’m sure this would work in the slow cooker too- I am just not sure on the liquid amounts.

IMG_3853

In just 1 cup of cooked green lentils there is a whopping 23 grams of protein and 26 grams of fibre!!! Talk about satiety. :)

IMG_3861

IMG_3862

60 second Vegan Parmesan cheeze. Eric LOVES this stuff- he sprinkles it on everything and said he will never buy regular parmesan cheese again!

IMG_3865

The lentils give this sauce amazing texture just like meat would.

IMG_3868

This batch makes so much I freeze about 4-5 servings in Pyrex containers. It makes for some quick and easy dinners! Great for lunches for the week too.

IMG_3890

In other news, I changed the colours on the Glo Bar labels! I wanted them spiffy looking for the store shelves. :) They scream EAT ME, don’t they? ;)

IMG_3860

Updates:

Tonight’s question- Are you a pasta lover? What is your favourite dish or type of pasta?

I’m not a big pasta fan, but my two favourite kinds are angel hair and spaghetti. I also want to make a vegan version of linguine alfredo some day! That would be a challenge…

Have a great night! :)

1 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 7, 2010

i dear, i love pasta more than just about anything. and not just any pasta: CREAMY pasta! although i’ve been craving a good thick marinara lately, but something about cheesy, creamy, al dente pasta just gets me every time. yum! :)

2 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) April 7, 2010

I love spaghetti! I’ve never tried it with lentils before – sounds awesome.

3 Elle @ Acquired Tastes April 7, 2010

Love love love pasta! I found spelt pasta at the grocery and it is soo good! I like my pasta with broccoli slaw and meatless meatballs :)

I’ll have to try adding lentils sometime!

4 Janna April 7, 2010

Oh yum yum yum. That lentil sauce looks so good! And I have lentils…and pasta! Thanks for the delicious looking recipe!

5 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 7, 2010

That sounds delish!

6 Diana April 7, 2010

That looks amazing! And yep, I’m a pasta lover for sure!

7 chai am woman April 7, 2010

THANK YOU for posting this – never would’ve put lentils in sauce before but i think even my husband would go for this (he loves lentils but is generally opposed to other things non-meaty haha). this looks delicious and filling.

love the labels!

and YESYESYES i am a pasta lover. pretty much all kinds but especially angel hair. sometimes i get in the mood for a good penne with some chunky veggies and olives.

8 Lisa April 7, 2010

surprisingly, I hate pasta…It’s just so heavy and carbo loaded. I’d rather fill up on other things….the lentil sauce looks totally yumm though ;)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

I tend to feel the same about pasta…that is why I love spaghetti squash used as pasta!

10 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 7, 2010

Mmmmmm…I LOVE pasta! I rarely get it at restaurants, because I feel like it’s always so laden with creamy, heavy sauces. But at home, I love simple pasta dishes with just a bit of olive oil and fresh ingredients. Perfecto!

11 Christine (The Raw Project) April 7, 2010

Looks great, I’ve been craving lentils lately.

12 Midgetkeeper April 7, 2010

I love, love, love Pasta. I actually made a really similar sauce not too long ago. I always make my pasta sauce in huge batches so I can freeze and use whenever I need a quick meal.

13 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness April 7, 2010

LOVE PASTA! That, and bread, are my favs. I like angel hair, penne and rigatoni the best. It seriously just depends on my mood. :)

14 Whitney April 7, 2010

I make something very similar but start with some veggies (zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic) and saute them and then add them to a bottle of pre-made pasta sauce. I then add one can garbanzo beans and heat the whole thing through and serve over couscous. Its a great easy meal to make and makes sooooo much!

15 Jil April 7, 2010

Love the new colors!! :) and that pasta looks amazing. :-D

16 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 7, 2010

I love pasta. I’d eat it everyday if I could. Nothing is more comforting than a pile of spaghetti and marinara. I don’t make it often, though, because it’s so heavy. That vegan Parmesan cheese is so interesting. I’ve yet to try nutritional yeast though I might have to soon with all the play it’s getting on blogs!

17 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) April 7, 2010

Love the new labels. They are perfect for spring/summer, and definitely give your glo bars a great makeover.
Congrats once again on getting your business into a store – that is SO awesome!

18 Ameena April 7, 2010

Great idea…I love pasta! I used to eat it all the time but I don’t care for the brown rice pasta as much so I haven’t been eating it. Still, this would be fabulous over rice or quinoa. Thanks for the great idea!

19 Therese April 7, 2010

That looks soooo tasty! I’ve been trying to find a healthier replacement for ground round so thanks for the lentil suggestion!

Pasta is my ultimate comfort food, I never realized it until this past year but whenever I’m feeling down I always find myself craving it. I tend to load up the sauce with lots of veggies to make it healthier! But oddly, I’m not a spaghetti fan, I love rotini and penne most although I did make homemade spaghetti once and it was fantastic! There’s such a huge difference between fresh pasta and dried, store bought pasta!

20 Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel April 7, 2010

Any chance you had lentils on the brain today??????

Looks really good!

The labels look great!!!

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 7, 2010

What a great idea adding the lentils – I will definitely give that a try!

22 Erin April 7, 2010

I definitely loooooooooove pasta. Last night I made spaghetti with sweet potatoes and ricotta, and it was glorious. I love new combinations like that, and I wish I could take credit for it (I found the recipe online). I’m definitely going to try the lentil sauce – I love lentils!

23 Katrina M April 7, 2010

i LOVE pasta, and seeing this totally is making me crave spaghetti hard core, hahaha. maybe for lunch tomorrow…. thanks for posting! labels look great!!

24 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 7, 2010

The labels look good and it’s nice spring/summer packaging. I am shocked about the amount of protein in the lentils. I didn’t know it was so much. I see lentil soup in my future.

25 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 7, 2010

I’m not a big pasta eater and would never order it in a restaurant, but I do eat it now and then and enjoy it. Love the idea of putting lentils in. Such a versatile food!

26 Allison @ Food For Healing April 7, 2010

nice job with the labels.

I LOOVE pasta, i love like a shrimp alfredo. yumm

27 Michelle @ HeathyEatingRoadmap April 7, 2010

The spaghetti looks really wonderful and so do the new labels!!

28 Amy @ Running in Pink April 7, 2010

I LOVE PASTA! and i know exactly what is on the menu tomorrow night for dinner – your lovely lentil dish!

29 Carly @ The Road To Health April 7, 2010

I have a total carb addiction! Pasta is definitely a favorite of mine! I love all kinds :)

30 Mel April 7, 2010

Do you freeze the pasta too? I can’t really tell from the picture and I’m always curious about what foods freeze well. Have a great day :-)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

I have never frozen pasta before…anyone?

32 Jacquie April 7, 2010

I used to love pasta, but I haven’t had it in a while. Every now and again I’ll have macaroni and cheese because I love it so, but for the most part I swap other whole grains like rice for pasta. Yummm

33 Vicki April 7, 2010

Ever since I made the lentil based Snobby Joes from Veganomicon, I’ve been convinced that lentils are the perfect substitute for ground beef/turkey. I made lentil tacos last week (yum!) and I’ve thought about doing a lentil marinara, so I’m so glad to see it turned out awesome for you. Can’t wait to try it!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

must get this book!!

35 Lauren April 7, 2010

Hmm, maybe you could try making an alfredo sauce with cashew butter?? Do you think you could make it taste savoury enough?

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

that sounds amazing

37 nut April 7, 2010

Wow. I am not vegan, but you certainly are giving me some ideas for more vegan-inspired dishes. How beautiful that is. I like that you focus on the positive aspects of the dish: the protein, the fibre, etc etc….versus dwelling on other things. You deserve all that food with all your crazy busy schedule!

38 Grace April 7, 2010

I love pasta! I eat all whole wheat pasta though and I love lentils…this is too weird…here you post something about Quinoa for breakfast and I make it for dinner Mon. evening, then you talk about lentils for dinner and I have lentils for lunch….todododo….twilight zone.

Love that recipe!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

….todododo hahaha

40 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 7, 2010

I love pasta! That looks amazing. Especially your vegan parmesan!

41 Lizzie April 7, 2010

I really need to try that ‘cheese!’ I love, love pasta – spaghetti, fettuccini, rotini, and gnocchi. Don’t like cream sauces, love tomato based sauces (your lentil twist looks great!). I switched to whole wheat 6 years ago and now the only time I have white pasta is if I’m in a restaurant and a sauce sounds too good to pass up. Whole wheat just tastes so much better.

42 Sarah April 7, 2010

I like pasta ok, but I’m pretty picky. I prefer angel hair if I’m going with some kind of tomato based sauce, but one of my friends makes the most amazing pasta salad that uses italian dressing and rotini noodles. I love throwing all kinds of veggies in my spaghetti sauce. I don’t think I’ve ever tried lentils before. That’s a great idea. Thanks!

43 John April 7, 2010

That sauce looks good. May have to try it some day.

I LOVE my mom’s lasagna. Can eat 2 or 3 plates of it at one go it’s that good!

44 Hannah April 7, 2010

A perfect recipe to increase my iron intake!!! It’s like you were reading my mind, haha ;-)

45 Ashley April 7, 2010

I LOVE pesto. You oughta make some this summer!

46 Jenn April 7, 2010

love, love, love pasta. total redlight food for me as once I start eating it – I don’t want to stop! Love the lentil sauce, it looks great!

47 kalli@fitandfortysomething April 7, 2010

that looks amazing! i love pasta and could eat it all the time!

48 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 7, 2010

I think you just totally and completely 100% sold me on lentils. I knew they had good nutritional stats, but WOW.

49 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 7, 2010

im not really a spaghetti girl–but i LOVE it with lentils. match made in food heaven :)

50 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 7, 2010

I am a pasta QUEEN!!!! My favorite is cappelini (I know I did not spell that right) or angel hair with marinara sauce with mushrooms…YUM!!!
And yeah… you will be my hero if you can make linguini alfredo! For real.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

I will do my best! :)

52 *Andrea* April 7, 2010

this looks amazing! simple too–which is essential for my lack of culinary skills haha.

LOVE THE LABELS!!! they’re chic, yet scream “eat me! i am healthy and delicious!” ;)

53 Kristy April 7, 2010

Homesense…. has a GREAT marinara sauce… I tried it last weekend and it was AWESOME! I highly recommend it! It is all veggies….which i love more than anything! Also at William & Sonoma they have an amazing RUSTIC VEGETABLE sauce to DIE FOR…. i am sure you would love love love it!

I am a HUGE pasta fan- i love all types!

54 Halima April 7, 2010

all i have to say is OMG!!!! i am a huuuuge lentil fan and just last week i was giving some to my one year old son and i heated it up a little too much so i put some cold pasta sauce on it and it was the must delish thing i have ever tasted. love pasta but i stay away from it, not worth it to me!

55 jessica April 7, 2010

I only love pasta because it’s an excuse to eat my Italian mother’s homemade tomato sauce.. really I could just eat the sauce but that would be weird so I add some pasta.

56 Candice April 7, 2010

That pasta sauce looks awesome! What a great idea to add lentils. It’s funny because I’ve always thought it sounded odd to add beans to tomato pasta sauce, so I never knew how to add protein. But the other day I added black beans for the first time, and they were great! When I got to thinking about the combination I suddenly realized – why not?! Kind of like your savory oats. It still seems kind of odd to me, but there is really no reason why! I’ve got to try those by the way:)

57 Danielle April 7, 2010

Yay! I make a similar sauce with red and green lentils, simmered long enough for the lentils to break down. It’s one of my husband’s favorite dinners, and he usually suggests it as the dish I serve for omni company. Nice work!

58 Audrey April 7, 2010

That’s so cool that Eric likes the cheeze. I’ve gotta make that!
Your spaghetti looks great. What kind of spaghetti did you use? Regular? Whole wheat? Rice pasta? Quinoa pasta? There are so many kinds today!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2010

its just regular white pasta but usually we use spelt

60 Emily Eats Clean April 7, 2010

CHEESE ravolli!!!! Yummy!! I need to try fixing lentils, they look so good!

-emily

61 mountain girl April 7, 2010

Have you seen this AWESOME vegan mac ‘n cheese recipe by the Puer2Raw twins? It’s SO good! I’ve made it the original version with quinoa, and also with whole wheat spaghetti.Totally easy and yummy!

62 Jenn April 7, 2010

I’m not a huge pasta fan. However I love lentils!

63 Little Aspects April 8, 2010

Love pasta!! I make a similar lentil and tomato pasta sauce (usually with mushrooms as well). I always make my tomatoey pasta sauce from scratch though – the key is good quality tomatoes (the cold-storage supermarket kind definitely doesn’t cut it! Use canned if you can’t get good, fresh tomatoes.)

Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce:

1 onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
lots of fresh, ripe tomatoes (I buy my tomatoes from local farmers and they are soooo good!)
Dry white wine
Olive oil
Fresh basil

Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil, then turn the heat down, put the lid on and wait 15mins until they are soft.

Turn the heat back up, add in some white wine (quarter of a cup or so) and cook the wine off.

Add the tomatoes (diced) and stir. Once they have been heated through, pop the lid of the saucepan back on, turn the heat down and simmer for 45mins to 1 hour.

When the sauce is done, I usually saute in a separate pan some cannelini beans, mushrooms and spinach, then toss through freshly cooked pasta with the tomatoey sauce, fresh basil and top with some toasted pinenuts.

OR – our other favourite –

Roast the whole tomatoes in the oven along with some thinly sliced eggplant and zucchini, brushed with a little olive oil. Toss all of them through freshly cooked pasta, breaking the tomatoes up as you go so that the tomatoes ooze all through the pasta. Top with toasted pinenuts. (This works well with cherry tomatoes)

64 Miss T April 8, 2010

Hi Angela,
Just a quick question about your labels (which look very pretty btw): I notice you have both ‘Dairy-free’ and ‘Vegan’ on them. Is this for consumers who don’t know that vegan does mean dairy-free? In that case, would it be worth putting ‘dairy and egg free’ or even ‘dairy, egg and honey-free’ to be clear?
Good luck with the new stockist,
Cheers,
Rachel

65 Sam @ Snowflakes and Sunshine April 8, 2010

I love pasta. Lasagne is definitely my favourite – must be something to do with all the cheese!!

66 Sarah April 8, 2010

Here’s an easy recipe for alfredo: http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/

There’s also one in the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook that uses pinenuts instead of cashews: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=109. It’s similar. I made one this week with MimicCreme. So easy!

67 Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 8, 2010

I adore pasta, it’s one of the reasons I could live in Italy for the rest of my life ;)

Yours looks very good!

68 Yeaaahtoast April 8, 2010

Not the hugest pasta fan, the gluten makes me loagy. However, I love Ancient Harvest’s Quinoa pasta, IT’S AMAZING!!! Love the curls for chilled pasta salad!

69 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 8, 2010

Eh, I’ll take or leave pasta. It all comes down to the sauce! I’d LOVE to put your lentil sauce on some quinoa though!

70 Laura April 8, 2010

Just wondering, do you ever see yourself shipping the glo bars to the UK cause they look so yummy!

71 jassy April 8, 2010

i’m a pasta lover…more on the cream base pasta though…but i try to avoid it because i’m still a baby when it comes to embracing a healthy lifestyle=)

72 Kari April 8, 2010

My Mum used to make something like this as her vegetarian alternative to meat sauces :)

73 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 8, 2010

What a great dish! I love lentils =D

I can give or take pasta. I don’t make it very often because it is SO easy for me to overeat it, I don’t think it’s very filling. However, topped with a lentil sauce it may just fill me! I love a good pasta primavera!

xo
K

74 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 8, 2010

That sauce sounds fantastic!!! And your new labels look great :)

75 Ali April 8, 2010

I love pasta, although I’m not a huge cream sauce fan. I go for tomato sauce every once in a while, but I love a drizzle of good olive oil and some roasted garlic or basil. I like thicker pastas like penna, and really love filled pastas. I like the chewy, thick taste.

You might want to try http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ for a good vegan cream sauce. She’s got lots of modified recipes there that are delish, and you might find something you can tweak. I think she did dairy-free au gratin potatoes once.

76 Kirsten April 8, 2010

I think I want to try making this sauce. For some reason I am always scared to try to cook lentils. I don’t know why!

77 Gaia3465 April 8, 2010

I have always loved pasta, but after going gluten and dairy free for 5 months, I cannot eat my old favorite (creamy chicken alfredo) without feeling like it’s wrong. I love some gluten free penne pasta, zucchini, and edamame tossed together with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and paprika. It’s my go to meal.

78 mkg April 8, 2010

I’m loving Green Monsters I have them almost every morning :) great new site too…I’m almost ready to move on from the original one.

79 Tabitha April 8, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’ve just recently started to read your blog and I love it! What a great idea to use lentils instead of having to use meat! I’m going to have to try this sometime soon. Also, where did you get the napkin from? It’s so colorful!

80 Melissa April 8, 2010

Love that sauce! Lentils are awesome and your pasta looks so yummy!
I like your glo bar labels…lots of color:)

81 MB April 8, 2010

I’m Italian so I think loving pasta is in my genes. My favorite kind is angel hair with roasted veggies tossed in garlic and oil. MMMMmmmmm…..

82 Clea April 8, 2010

Hm..I tried to leave a comment yesterday but it didn’t work! Sadface. It was my first comment, so I was all blah blah blah, I love your blog, etc. etc. etc. ;-) but I recommend the vegan alfredo from the cookbook Yellow Rose Recipes. Sooo good and easy. The Vegan YumYum version looks good too, and there are a whole bunch on the blog “Yeahthatveganshit” (just do a search for alfredo, I’m too lazy to dig up the links that I tried posting before!) Also, Vegan Dad made a version as did Happy Herbivore.

83 Jolene April 9, 2010

Your pics looks great in this post!!!! Even greater than the usual great pics :-)

I adore pasta. I could eat it everyday forever. Spaghetti is my number 1.

84 Jennie {in Wonderland} April 10, 2010

My favourite pasta is either ‘pulse’ spaghetti, made out of chickpeas – it’s DELICIOUS or spelt/hemp pasta. My favourite thing to do with pasta is cook it, then load it with raw broccoli, steamed asparagus, cherry tomatoes, caramelised onions, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and a hemp oil/garlic/lemon/red wine vinegar/tamari marinade.

OMG… it’s so good.

85 kay April 11, 2010

Sounds really good, I will see if i can get hubby to try, WAY outside of his comfort zone

86 vegan April 13, 2010

Your spaghetti looks delicious … I’ll definitely give it a try.

Here’s a spicy vegetable pasta dish you might like:

87 Kathy October 27, 2015

I made your recipe yesterday and my husband and I LOVED it. We ate it on spaghetti squash. Delicious. And thank you for including freezer info.