Spring Forward With Healthy Changes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 4, 2010

Good evening!

Hope you are having a hoppy day ;)

The Easter Bunny found us last night and we came out to this…

IMG_3607

Score!

IMG_3610

My breakfast was a huge fruit bowl, cereal, and an English muffin.

IMG_3613

Split with Eric…

IMG_3623

and some handfuls of cereal (not photographed).

Eric has made a couple healthy switches to his diet recently. He now eats Nature’s Path Raisin Bran instead of Kellogg’s Raisin Bran. He also drinks skim milk and occasionally almond milk instead of 2% (which he swore he would never drink that ‘water’!). He is discovering that he actually likes the taste of these foreign health foods. He can surprise me with flowers or clean up the kitchen for me, but nothing pleases me more than seeing him make healthy changes to his diet on his own free will! He used to suffer from really bad migraines and he hasn’t had any for over a year. Now who is to really know what caused them, but I would like to think that some of the healthier food choices had something to do with it.

My mother in law has made a lot of healthy changes to her diet (and dropped several pant sizes)and my sister in law has recently lost 30 pounds. I love witnessing positive changes in other’s lives. Kudos to all of you who are working hard to make changes to your own diet and health…it is hard work, but it is also what I consider FUN work because the rewards are immense.

IMG_3618

As you can see, the Nature’s Path (below left) doesn’t have 1) glucose-fructose (aka glucose-fructose is what Canada calls HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!) or 2) hydrogenated vegetable oil like Kellogg’s Raisin Bran (below right). Eric says that Nature’s Path tastes better anyways!

IMG_3619 (2)IMG_3617 (2)

However today he had a big Irish Easter breakfast! ;)

IMG_3630

Then it was time to go outside…and play in the warm sun!

IMG_3644

I’m like a plant after a long winter… :mrgreen:

IMG_3670 (2)

My niece had an Easter egg hunt!

IMG_3641

IMG_3654

She did well! I’m sure the parents had a lively drive home. ;)

IMG_3643

My healthy hottie…

IMG_3694

BENNY! Golden’s are the happiest dogs, aren’t they? Eric and I have a special voice that we use just for this breed. It goes like this…’Ahhhhhh DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH.’ lol.

IMG_3687 (2)

Then we flew a Tinkerbell kite…what more could you ask for? ;)

Is he grabbing her butt?!

IMG_3683

A late lunch was enjoyed…an Ezekiel wrap (officially obsessed!!), curry stir fry, olive oil, lentils. I must apologize dear Ezekiel wraps for I judged you prematurely. They are awesome. I actually now love how chewy they are!

IMG_3420

With tomato paste of course.

IMG_3419

And dinner was leftover curried stir-fry with an Amy’s veggie burger crumbled in.

With a bunny spoon OSGMOM got me while in Florida…

IMG_3382

Steam, steam, steam.

IMG_3386

IMG_3387

As much as we enjoyed the restaurants and cafes we went to while on vacation, I am really happy to be back cooking my meals in my kitchen! Not only does it save a TON of money, but it is really satisfying to create healthy meals that are quick and easy.

I have also been munching on these dark chocolate rounds all day too…I think I had about 5434 of them today. ;) Hey, it’s Easter!

IMG_9897 IMG_9898

They are green tea dark chocolates from Teavana…I may or may not have bought 3 tins of them!

Today’s question- Do you avoid High fructose Corn Syrup (or its’ other names such as glucose-fructose here in Canada)? Have you given up any products or brands because they contained HFCS?

I’m off to unpack (again!), finish laundry, and wish my family a Happy Easter.

NIGHT!

Justine April 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I recently switched up my diet a few months back by trying to incorporate more organic foods/ones that contain fewer chemicals in my daily eats, and I ended up dropping a ton of my staples because I found they contained HFCS: Special K Protein Plus, Pepperidge Farm Bread and Yoplait yogurt, among others. Fortunately, I like the non-HFCS foods I replaced them with (like whole wheat potato bread) even better!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) April 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I think it’s great that your healthy lifestyle is rubbing off on others. It seems that leading by example, instead of telling someone what to do, is the best way to get someone to incorporate healthy changes into their lifestyle.
Hope you had a great holiday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I totally agree with that…whenever I asked Eric in the past to try certain things he resisted, but once I stopped and just did my own thing, he did it on his own.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever really paid attention to glucose-fructose content before. Oops! :S

Luckily I eat very few processed foods, so hopefully I haven’t been consuming too much!

Also congrats to Eric for making some healthy changes! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Honestly, I don’t really look for HFCS on labels, but I focus on having whole foods most of the time, so with my “treats” I don’t pay too much attention to it, but I probably should!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) April 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm

My mom is very overweight and I worry about her. Hopefully some of my healthy habits will rub off on her. It’s a fine line between encouraging a healthy change and nagging. So happy to see that your fam is getting healthier!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Nothing is better than Easter chocolate, yum!

Kelly April 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I actually do avoid HFCS because I find it bothers my stomach, and there is so much press around about how bad it is for you, I figure why risk it?

Kuddos to your husband and his family for making some healthy changes. I really love to watch people make positive changes, but it’s so hard to get them to do it (obviously it has to be their own decision).

Robyn April 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Wow! I really did not know that glucose-fructose was a different name for HFCS! I’m always hearing about how bad that stuff is for you!

Thanks for this post – it was an eye-opener!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 4, 2010 at 7:42 pm

i try to eat more whole foods, that way I know i am eating natural ingredients. Plus more organic, less processed and packaged. Its the way to go!

Sana April 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm

That is great! As amazing as it it to see changes in the blog world, the ones close to your heart are even more special!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Oh my goodness, that bunny spoon is SO cute!! I love witnessing healthy changes in those around me. My parents are eating so many meat-free meals as a result of my going vegetarian, and it makes me so happy!

blair April 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I definitely avoid products that contain HFCS. With so much bad press surrounding it and the vast array of products available these days, I don’t feel like I’m missing out by choosing a brand that doesn’t contain HFCS. Just the other day in fact, I was going to steal a dab of my roommate’s bbq sauce but when I saw that the FIRST ingredient listed was HFCS, I said no thank you!

Jennifer April 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I, too, get excited when people make positive changes for their health! I was extremely excited when a co-worker told me recently that had been reading my blog, and had begun making healthier choices which led to loosing 9 pounds! I had no idea the impact of this magnitude would ensue from this experience :)

I do avoid HFCS, but it seems to be in almost EVERYTHING!!! I recently discovered, like Blair above, that the bbq sauce I was using had HFCS listed as the FIRST ingredient! Ketchup is also a friend I gave up.

I know the makers of HFCS are campaigning for people to trust that HFCS are “really not that bad,” but so many of our foods are already processed and loaded with sugar. Why add more??? I know that the sweeter a food is, the more our brains want. Food is not something I personally want to crave simply because it is loaded with sugar. I would much rather crave food because I am hungry and my body needs (deserves) nutritious fuel.

Lauren April 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I don’t actively scout out high fructose corn syrup (or glucose-fructose…thanks for that info. Didn’t even know they were the same thing! Sneaky Canadians) because I’m pretty sure most of the food I eat just doesn’t have it. I focus on whole foods with minimal additives, so hopefully I don’t take in too much HFCS. The information about it is controversial, but better safe than sorry!
I’m happy you had a fun Easter with the fam, and its great that your healthy habits are rubbing off on everyone.

One Healthy Apple April 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I try to not buy too many packaged products and when I do, I read the labels because there is way too much stuff added in our products these days.

When my husband and I met, he ate chocolate chip cookies for breakfast! Let’s say things have changed immensely!

Megan @ The Ugly Nutrition Truth April 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I try not to eat any processed foods, but I recently found out that some of the varieties of bread at Subway have high fructose corn syrup in them!! Definitely changed my opinion of Subway – I find myself second guessing any decisions to go there!

Rachel April 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I love that they call it glucose-fructose over there. What a silly sounding word!

I try to stick to whole foods entirely, and eat the majority (90%) of my meals at home. There’s just too many good reasons!

Thanks for a great post.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

i really try to never eat things that have HFCS in it, but there are times where i know that if i don’t eat something then i’ll freak out and binge. that’s about the only time i’ll knowingly eat anything with it.

p.s. i LOVE the picture of you with the sparkles on your sunglasses. too cute!

Vee April 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Hi Angela – Do you happen to have the recipe on hand for the curry stirfry. It looks yummy!

maria April 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I do try to avoid HFCS and hydrogenated oils when possible. I always read labels and see what ingredients companies are using and choose the healthiest (within our budget).

rebecca lustig April 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Ive been hfcs free (to an extent– i’m flexible) for over a year now. my body has thanked me :)

Glad you had a good Easter!!

Samantha April 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I love easter because of all the pretty colors!!! :)

Nicole Ross April 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I stay away from HFCS. Too much bad press. I’ve really been looking at labels lately and see how much of this junk is in our food. Stay away from the middles of the grocery aisle, that’s what I learned! Processed food is just terrible.
Nicole

Carole April 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I have just recently started reading your blog, and am learning more and more each time I stop by! I had NO idea that glucose-fructose was HFCS in disguise – I just figured it was some other type of non-natural sugar product hiding in our food. Sneaky sneaky Canadian manufacturers!

Kate April 4, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Oh yes! I don’t eat the stuff anymore and you know what’s funny? I notice if I do eat it and on occasion (think G2 after hot yoga) I break out!!! Really bad, too! That’s another incentive to stay away. But my mood is seriously much better when I eat whole, nutritious foods. :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 4, 2010 at 8:51 pm

How fun, congratulations to your husband. It’s so much better when both partners embrace a healthy life style. And you can also live longer together

I agree that it’s so nice to cook at home and eat what you specifically want, the way you want it.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm

How fun! Happy Easter, Angela!

I will email you soon, when I am back in Canada!

xo
Kris

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm

The bunny spoon is too cute! and yes, I try to avoid things with HFCS. It’s hard though because SO many things have it in them that I would have never though!
Yay for Eric! I love seeing the ones I love make changes like that too :)

Lizzie April 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

In the US they’re running commercials to try and counteract the HFC bad press . . . .ummm, think I’ll just stick to keeping processed foods to a minimum :) The one phrase I keep reading and hearing is “Don’t eat something your grandma wouldn’t recognise” (or something like that). That can be hard sometimes, but if we’re mindful of the choices we can make then that’s got to count for something! Happy Easter . . . I have got to find some of that Ezekiel bread and wraps!!

Jenny April 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I try to eat cleanly, but they’re hard to avoid- especially on days like this!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 4, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I love the feeling when you see people making healthier choices. My dad scarfed down 3 fatty scones with about 3 T of butter on each. I brought this to his attention and the next day I saw him eat *gasp* an apple.
My mom has officially switched to greek yogurt in replace of mayo in my dad’s favorite casserole. He liked it :)

Leading by example is definitely the way to go!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) April 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I don’t buy a lot of pre-made foods, so I don’t actively avoid HFCS, but if I see that a product includes it (like bread or cereal), I’ll try to find a substitute. The same for hydrogenated oils.

Kelly April 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Can’t say I necessarily avoid it, but I can’t really think of any of my food choices that would contain HFCS.

MB April 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

HAPPY EASTER!

I avoid HFCS as much as possible. It’s so hard to completely avoid it because it seems like it’s in EVERYTHING. It is so bad for us it should be outlawed.

John April 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I try to avoid all forms of sugar now. I don’t buy pre-made products much these days either so easier to avoid them.

Certainly looks like he’s grabbing her butt :-)

Carbzilla April 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Happy Easter! I do avoid HFCS because I feel like it’s an easy thing to avoid (if you read labels) and one better thing I can do for my body. Glad someone else had chocolate this Easter – I absolutely fell on my face diet-wise this weekend but tomorrow is another day!!!

Sarah April 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’ve made some major changes in my diet in the past couple of years, and while I won’t say I’ve completely cut out HFCS, I have drastically cut it back. It’s crazy how many things it’s in! And I’ve noticed the same thing about my hubby’s eating habits. As long as I was making suggestions, he would have none of it, but the past few months, I’ve really left him alone about it, and the past couple of days, he’s had a lot of veggies and even two meatless meals this week and went with me to the gym the other day! It’s funny how resistant he was when it was my suggestion, but now that I’m leaving him alone, he’s doing it on his own.

Katie April 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Do you have a recipe for that curry stir fry? It looks great!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Looks like a wonderful day! I don’t eat too many processed items so yes I do avoid it – but still have some in moderation. :)

jessica April 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I avoid HFCS and have switched to the organic versions of products that contain HFCS that I cannot live without, such as ketchup. Heinz’s organic ketchup is a million times better than the HFCS version – it’s amazing the difference in taste between products with processed ingredient vs. their organic counterparts!

[email protected] April 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Yes, I try to avoid it as much as possible….after watching FoodInc. and researching what High fructose Corn Syrup and all the chemicals that are added in our foods today, I try to eat clean and raw organic/natural foods!

Katherine April 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I honestly can’t remember the last time I had something with HFCS in it. I just made a decision a while back that I didn’t want it in my diet anymore and never looked back!

Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

Kelly April 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I didn’t know that glucose-fructose is what Canada calls HFCS! I’m so glad I read that here though because now I feel more informed and can make even better choices when purchasing food. Although I knew glucose-fructose isn’t good for you, I didn’t know that’s what it actually was!

Did you get anything exciting in your little package from the Easter bunny? ;)

I love that picture of the dog. He just looks like a dog that I’d love to cuddle up with and play with! Golden retrievers just look so friendly!

Mandiee April 4, 2010 at 11:12 pm

do you have a recipe for the curry stir-fry you stuffed your wrap with? it looks amazing! thanks for the comparison with bran-y&raisin-y cereals. i know that my grandmother is a fan of raisin bran and would probably welcome this healthy change. thanks for the eye-opener so that i can tell her :). also, i don’t mean to sound strange but that is a very pretty picture of you smiling with your sunglasses on. i believe that everyone should know how beautiful they are, even if it sometimes is a weird thing to say. embrace it, girl :D.

have a lovely day!
xox

Nicole April 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Ang where did you get your sunglasses? I love them!

Brianne April 4, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Skim milk is not healthier than 2 %…. whole homogenized/and or raw organic would be best. SKIM is by far the least healthy!

Jen April 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I was just talking to my boyfriend about this – he’s a doctor – he said milk is basically just white sugar water now. It’s so processed that there really aren’t any more nutrients in it anymore. That is why they have to fortify it with other vitamins. Anyone else know about this?

Melissa (Veggie Bites) April 5, 2010 at 12:49 am

I started making the switch about 4 years ago in high school thanks to a great health teacher I had. My parents have started to follow suit switching chips ahoy! and wheat-thins with back to nature cookies and crackers!

Run Sarah April 5, 2010 at 12:55 am

So weird, I told my hubby the same thing the other day, that it really makes me happy when he makes healthy choices. Ezekiel wraps had to grow on me too – now I love how chewy and dense they are.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 5, 2010 at 1:14 am

You look fab in your stunna shades ; ) Hoppy Easter, Angela!

Kim @ Eat and Be April 5, 2010 at 2:45 am

Thanks for the tip about Canada calling HFCS glucose-fructose. I was NOT aware of that and b/c I try to avoid HFCS and I live in Canada…that is kind of important :) At the moment I am living in Europe and I think that HFCS is officially banned here so I wil not worry. I love how the Europeans eat: Fresh, In Season and Often!!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 5, 2010 at 3:09 am

Happy Easter! It’s so great to don’t try to make your man eat like you do, and that changes he makes are the ones he chooses. Definitely the best approach.

Ezekiel wraps are the bomb-diggity. I like to swaddle them in a damp paper towel and microwave for a little bit. Awesome.

HFCS…I believe if you eat a healthy, clean diet almost all the time, then some HFCS isn’t going to hurt you. It puts more stress on your liver than normal sugar, but in the grand scheme of things, there are worse substances. But for typical Americans whose diets are overloaded with processed garbage, I think HFCS is absolutely a problem and should be addressed. Peoples’ bodies are already overtaxed and having to compensate for daily Big Macs–HFCS really could mess with them. Also, the corn industry is utterly wretched, so I don’t like HFCS for those reasons.

Laura April 5, 2010 at 3:31 am

Man I can’t believe they put hydrogentated vegetable oil in cereal, well in anything really but I wouldn’t expect to see it in cereal. I’ll have to check out the glucose fructose name over here in England because I didn’t know that was another name for high fructose corn syrup and I think I might buy stuff with that in occaisonally.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow April 5, 2010 at 6:29 am

This is such a cool experience to have with family/friends and beyond.

Ever since I started changing my lifestyle with regards to diet and exercise, my fiance has totally ramped up his choices and so have many of our closest friends! Now that I’m blogging as well, I have been getting emails from family members and friends about new things that they are trying after reading what we are doing over here.

It’s incredible how awesome people feel with small health changes!

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 5, 2010 at 7:08 am

I do try to avoid HFCS (as it’s called in the States).

Love Skinny Cow ice cream products, for instance, but they contain HFCS. Same with most of the fave protein bars like Fiber Ones & Kellogs — never even tried them because of that.

Of course, since I’m trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible probably wouldn’t buy them anyway, but there are times I look longingly at them.

Lisa April 5, 2010 at 7:20 am

Yes, we try to avoid HFCS or anything else with hydgrogenated anything. Gross.

Christina April 5, 2010 at 8:14 am

It looks like you had an amazing Easter!

I try to avoid everything with HFCS. It makes it a lot easier for me to avoid eating bad things because the only stuff it’s in is processed food anyways!

Kelly April 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

The two unbreakable food rules I have are no HFCS and no trans fat – if it has it, I don’t eat it. It’s amazing how many products use HFCS! My husband recently made the switch for his daily PB&J from using Jif and Smuckers (both have HFCS!) to Teddy’s Natural PB w/flax and Polaner All Fruit – so proud!

Kristin April 5, 2010 at 9:00 am

Angela, not long after my husband and I moved in together I started to get serious about clean and healthy eating. One of the things I took on was HFCS, and I flat-out refused to buy him brand-name raisin bran any more. He actually threw a temper tantrum (!!!) but I stood firm. I bought him every brand of organic raisin bran I could find so he would try them all, and it turns out his favorite is the Cascadian Farms brand. Now, I buy that for him, he’s happy because he gets his raisin bran and I’m happy because he’s not eating that garbage any more!

mountain girl April 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

That wrap looks awesome!

I just got some Annie’s organic ketchup for my 3-year old (she likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs). I feel a lot better about her eating that than the HFCS kind, and it’s really good, too!

Nicole, RD April 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

How annoying. Is that really necessary, Kelloggs? I avoid hydrogenated oil and partial hydrogenate oils much more so than HFCS. But I pretty much hate both :)

Melissa April 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

I do avoid high fructose corn syrup but I didn’t know Canada called it glucose-fructose. Thanks for sharing that tid-bit!
I love Ezekiel wraps..so good! Love your wrap contents too…yum!

[email protected] April 5, 2010 at 11:13 am

so nice that others are making positive changes as well. yes i avoid HFCS like it is the plague-ugh! can’t believe it would be in cereal-scary.
i agree it is nice to have home cooked food after eating out all the time.
happy easter!

Christine (The Raw Project) April 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

Wow, great eats and beautiful pics – looks like a perfect day! It’s so great to see family members make healthy changes.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love hearing about significant others making healthy choices!!! :D And I am a food nerd.

I got rid of *almost* all products with HFCS in my house. I few things occasionally sneak in with the hubby, but for the most part, we’re done with it.

I agree with the whole eating out thing… I love a great meal out, but I much prefer making my own creations at home (that’s why I started my blog HEHE!)

Have a great week!
-Mary

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

It is amazing to learn that there are so many things that contain HFCS. I have not been actively looking for that in the foods I’ve elected to buy, however, this will make me more diligent. I did not even realize that Skinny Cow ice creams have it but I discontinued purchasing them a long time ago. I’m trying really hard to become more aware of the nutrition facts in our foods and am learning what is good and what is not. I eat a lot of Kashi and notice that their bars don’t contain HFCS…Yea!

Okay Angela, where did you find the green tea dark chocolates? I love dark chocolate and had 3 dk choc Dove eggs on Easter as well. Yum! And yes, you need to post the stir fry recipe. I agree.

As for lifestyle changes of family members including the DH, yea, my hubby does not like to be told to do this or that, he’s made his own choices for the good and I think it helps. Now if I could just get him to slack back on the beer, he might lose some more weight.

Glad you had an awesome Easter!

Adam April 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

I love how Canada disguises several ingredients like that! What a lot of people don’t understand about the food labels on specific cereals, they often don’t worry about or brush off. My dad just skims labels looking for key ingredients like HFCS and if he can’t find it, he’s happy, but recently i had to write down a slew of ingredients for him to avoid (HFCS, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Aspartame). I think it is great that you reminded people of that. I think it is MEGA important for people to know that the order of the ingredients matters as well. Sugar as a first or second ingredient is never a good thing, even if it is “organic evaporated cane juice” ;)

Ellen April 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

We’ve pretty much given up buying items with HFCS. I may have Ben & Jerry’s once in a blue moon, but that’s pretty much the extent of it!

Jennifer April 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Ha! My hubby said the same thing about skim milk but he drinks it now, although I’m into Almond Breeze. I couldn’t believe all the foods that have HFCS in them. I have changed my eating/buying drastically. Stuff I never thought would have it did. Cinnamon applesauce for example. It’s just brought me closer to more organic and natural foods. Now I make the time to make things myself. I love homemade cin. applesauce and I freeze it in single serving portions.

I love the changes I’ve made, now I don’t crave the sweet stuff like I use to!! You’ve helped me with that transition too, THANKS!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

What a busy time for you!! Glad you had a good Easter:)
That’s awesome Eric’s being healthier on his own. I’m still waiting on my hubby LOL

Erin April 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I am also addicted to Ezekiel wraps. In fact, I just gobbled one up here at work! I used avocado (so creamy!), cucumber, tomato, onion, lettuce, and red pepper today. Yummy!

Lauren April 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I won’t buy something if I see it has HFCS in it, but if it happens to slip by my radar I don’t refuse to eat it. I figure it won’t kill me in moderation, but I certainly try to stay away.

Carla April 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I have been avoiding HFCS for a while (and hydrogenated oils) but am only now finding out why! Also HFCS is just something they came up with when they found out that combining glucose & fructose together at the right ration (more fructose hence the name) exactly imitated the taste of sugar. I am currently reading Michael Pollan’s “The Ominvore’s Dilemna” and knowing WHY HFCS was even INVENTED is a scary thing!!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Steve said to me this morning “are you making a green monster today?” to which I replied yes. He then said.. “wanna make me one?” Normally I have to offer him one!

Iris April 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I avoid HFCS as much as possible. I stopped buying store brand bran flakes cereal because of it, although the Post brand and organic brand don’t have them. There are probably some other cereals I have stopped buying due to the fact that they contained HFCS as well.

Emma April 5, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Looks like a lovely Easter weekend. You must be so proud of your husband for making those healthy changes :) I just checked my cereal boxes as I eat bran flakes (the kellog’s ones) I’m in England and strangely enough they actually have different ingredients over here!

Our kellog’s raisin-bran (ok it’s called sultana bran but the same thing) has no oil or hfcs in!

Ingredients

Wholewheat, Sultanas (27%), Wheatbran (15%), Sugar, Salt, Honey, Barley Malt Flavouring, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D,
Vitamin B12.

Crazy right?

Ana April 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I do avoid high-fructose corn syrup, yes. And now I am also avoiding Agave Nectar. Did you know agave has even more fructose than HFCS??? (and fructose is the not good ingredient in HFCS) Agave is about 90% fructose while HFCS is about 55%.
I discovered agave recently and really like the flavor, however, I learned at my nutrition class (I am studying to be a nutritionist) that agave is not all that good for you. Plus, they make it sound way more natural than it is. The processing involved in making agave is very similar to that of making HFCS.
Just wanted to let you know because I have seen you using agave around here.
From what I learned in nutrition sugar in moderation is the best sweetener, along with honey.
I also do avoid any and all forms of hydrogenated oils, they are the worse kind of fat there is, so I do steer away from it. Checking labels is really important, thankfully I consume minimally processed foods so it is not hard for me to check for unwanted stuff in my foods.
Ana

Ana April 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say, I loved the looks of your curry wrap, made me really crave some curried veggies now!!!!
Ana

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m the same way about eating out! I love all the great food I enjoy out when traveling for work or fun, but nothing tastes as good as coming home to your own home cooked meals!

Viviane April 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for the great post Angela! Wow… I never realized glucose-fructose was THE high-fructose corn syrup we keep hearing about!! (and I was starting to wonder what the big deal was as I almost never saw hfcs on ingredient lists, but glucose-fructose is everywhere!!!).. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for that from now on.

I recently read this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/debunking-the-blue-agave_b_450144.html where a comparison is made between agave and hfcs, that it’s basically the same thing. All this time I tought agave was a healthier sweetener alternative. What do you think about that?

Regarding the husband discussion, I am also hoping that my husband will continue to improve his eating habits. He has changed his habits in the past few years, slowly, as he’s realizing how crappy he feels when he’s not eating well. He just started using Almond Breeze and making smoothies (altough not green… yet)!

Rebekah April 5, 2010 at 4:56 pm

First, I have to say I love the cute spoons you seem to use in your photos and I am now obsessed with tomato paste. It is just so yummy as a spread. I would have never used it that way without reading your blog. Thank you. =)
Yes, I avoid HFC as much as possible and because I have been following the Eat Clean way of eating for several months it is a lot easier. But I agree with Ana a few comments above about Agave. I recently started using it just to find out how terrible it is! I was so shocked. Anyway, I am back to pure Stevia for a little sweetness when needed.

Alison April 5, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I don’t “avoid” any food really but I try to eat mostly clean and everything in moderation.

Just a question – why do you encourage skim as opposed to 2% milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2010 at 6:22 pm

No saturated fat :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter!!!

I do try to avoid corn syrup as much as possible, as well as anything that is really refined.

[email protected] April 6, 2010 at 10:40 am

It’s banned in Australia. Products made here can’t be made with it, they have to use real sugar.

I remember seeing once, ‘maple syrup’ in the states being markets as ‘not containing corn syrup’

it’s a sad day.

Dominique April 18, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Glad to see that your healthy choices are rubbing off on your loved ones. I had a hard time convincing my family too–and sometimes still do. The BF is on board with me but we have yet to move in together so we’re struggling with our own families right now.

I avoid anything with fructose-glucose as it’s a migraine trigger for me. I’m currently on daily preventative meds plus actual migraine meds and while those have helped decrease my migraines, I’d like to one day be able to stop relying so heavily on them. The only thing I find difficulty in is grocery shopping. Now I have to read labels and be a lot more careful with what I eat. I also have to politely refuse a lot of food offered to me at work if I don’t know what’s in it.