She Sells Sea Shells

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 1, 2010

Hey there :)

After we departed the condo yesterday morning, we headed to check into our final destination in Fort Myers! We got a great deal on a 3 star Country Inn and Suites for just over a buck and change. The hotel is very clean and very friendly! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a place close to the bridge to the island.

IMG_0021

It was a very standard inn…all I care about is that it is CLEAN really! I am a huge clean freak… ;)

IMG_0022IMG_0024IMG_0046

Lunch was food we had packed to save a buck. I made an avocado and dried mango sandwich…interesting to say the least! I thought it was going to be so gross but it turned out ok (just chewy).

IMG_0029 IMG_0032

Raw spirulina chips and an Adore bar. The chips are good- they tasted very green at first, but once I got used to it I got hooked on them.

IMG_0033 IMG_0036

Then we were off to Sanibel Island for our Dolphin tour with Sanibel Thriller…

IMG_0060IMG_0063

Lighthouse on the island…

IMG_0062

IMG_3300

We were so pumped!

We saw TONS of dolphins!!!!!

IMG_3326 IMG_3327

They love riding in the wake of the boat :)

IMG_3328

SO CUTE! GAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They have to be one of the coolest creatures on the planet. The baby is definitely smiling and having a blast!

IMG_3323 (2)

It was definitely one of the highlights of our whole trip!! The dolphins swam in the wake for a long time- and several times during our 1.5 hour boat ride.

Then we were off to the beach…

IMG_0077

IMG_0121

Goofy pictures ensued…

IMG_0122

Sanibel Island is one of the best places to collect sea shells!

IMG_0131IMG_0129

I think they call it the ‘Sanibel Stoop’ to represent all the people bent over on the beach picking up shells! ;)

IMG_0134  IMG_0082 IMG_0094

I soaked up every last ray I could!

IMG_0093

Two things I could do without…sand in my toes and jellyfish…hehehe ;)

IMG_0119IMG_0110

Then we were back, got ready, and hit up Pizza Fusion! We were hangry!

IMG_0140IMG_0137

We waited almost 40 minutes just to get a table…this place in Fort Myers was small and understaffed…I assume due to the recession they were running a skeleton staff like many of the restaurants we went to.

IMG_0142

I got the half fusion salad to start…and Eric the chicken Caesar…

IMG_0150IMG_0149

Our appetizers took another 30 minutes to arrive so we were starving by this point!

IMG_0143

We made our own custom pizzas! WHOHOOO!!!

On my pizza was a multigrain crust, tomato sauce (extra), roma tomatoes, mixed peppers, spinach, red onion, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms:

IMG_0154

Eric’s was the same just with a few less veggies on top…

IMG_0155

We both really enjoyed these pizzas. I love a thin crust!

Dessert was a fresh homemade vegan and gluten-free brownie!!!!! We split it and oh my was it ever delicious! What a perfect way to end the meal.

IMG_0144IMG_0157

What’s your take on dessert when eating out? Do you usually order it or tend to skip it?

Eric and I are typically always too full for dessert- we don’t know when to stop eating most of the time to save room! Last night we both had some room left so we jumped on the chance to have something sweet to end the meal.

We came home and got caught up on a 24 episode from two weeks ago. We watched it on Hulu…it was amazing—why can’t we have Hulu in Canada?

We are now back from a very long 11+ mile run + bike tour of the island and rushing to get ready. See ya when I see ya, I guess! :mrgreen: Have a great day!

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm

OHMIGOSH the dolphins are AMAZING!!! what a fun way to spend the day…

i’m always up for dessert, but i’m not always up for the prices, so we only get it on special occasions. it’s always SO GOOD though :) soak up some rays for me?

Jessica @ How Sweet April 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love those pics in the sunglasses. :) I am sad your vacation is coming to an end since I am living vicariously through you! :)

I love dessert, but am often too full for it. If I want it, I save room, or have an early dinner and dessert later. I like many of my own things better than what is in restaurants!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

What great pictures! You look like you’re getting a lil’ Spring tan ; )

Sarah April 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Oh those dolphins are too cute!!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Those dolphin pictures are absolutely amazing! Your should submit them.
What a great time.
11 miles run?! Awesome, girl!
Safe travels!

Delphine April 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

LOVE your nail and toe polish colours. Do you mind sharing what brand/colour they are or where they’re from? I’m looking for the perfect summer colour, and those are gorgeous! Of course, love the Dolphin photos too!

bitt April 1, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I’ve been to Sanibel island many times. Great shells indeed. Tons of dolphins too.

Amazing that you found a GF treat out! In florida no less. wow.

Lisa April 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Wow! Those dolphins look beautiful! What a nice vacation! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm

How cool that you got to see so many dolphins!!

My take on dessert out varies. If I want something, I get it or split a dessert with someone. I think, for me, learning that not every time I eat out is a special occasion has helped put it in perspective.

Lizzie April 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I used to have dessert all the time in my 20’s. Now, I just have it if it’s my birthday, our anniversary, or if I am with a friend (s) and we’re all going to split something. It’s either got to be chocolate or citrus based :) Dessert at home is usually fruit, a bowl of cereal . .. but lately it’s been your yummy chocolate pudding with avocado . .. LOVE IT!! Have a safe trip home!

Kelly April 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Those dolphin pictures are beautiful! I love dolphins! Hate jellyfish too though.

Jenny April 1, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love desserts at all times:) sometimes the price isn’t worth what you get though, so it’s gotta be a good one:)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Oh to have access to Hulu! That would be a dream

Morgan April 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Dolphins are such beautiful and amazing creatures! I went swimming with them once, and it was one of my greatest experiences!
I can’t believe you don’t have Hulu, what a bummer! 24 has been good this season, at least you can catch up a little!

Claire April 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm

The dolphin in the last photo was smiling at ya,Angela!:-)cc

liane April 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I so wish we had access to hulu, it’s the greatest tv/movie viewing site!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Those dolphins are so cool. I’ve always wanted to swim with the dolphins. As for dessert, I always, always eat it when I’m out (unless it’s an Italian restaurant in which case I’m not big into tiramisu or cannoli). Most times I’d rather get a smaller dinner than skimp on dessert. And yes I’m partially insane.

Whitney @ Lettuce Love April 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Love Fort Myers! Cool dolphins! I usually never order dessert. I don’t really like what restaurants have. It is always too huge and way too sweet for me.

Sammi April 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm

You don’t have hulu in Canada!! :( That’s depressing! Do you have access to surfthechannel.com? It has links to tv shows on there.

I have a hard time saving room for dessert! My boyfriend and I usually get an appetizer when we go out which makes it even harder to save room! Sometimes, I just take the dessert to go for later if I see something I really want :)

Tami April 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Sanibel. is. the. best. place. on. earth.

Erin April 1, 2010 at 2:08 pm

AWESOME Dolphin pictures!!

Samantha April 1, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Dolphins are so pretty! I can’t believe you don’t have hulu either!!

jodie April 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love dolphins. Normally we don’t have dessert when we eat out. If we want dessert, we eat a meal at home and go out specifically for that. I too am a clean freak. I don’t care how small the room is, as long as it’s clean. Looking at your vacation pictures makes me want to visit Florida soon.

Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me April 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Those dolphins are so cool! I absolutely love Florida. It’s one of my favorite vacation destinations!

Sarah April 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm

My parents and in-laws stayed in that same area last summer and loved it! Glad you are having a good time, I’m jealous :)

Bethany (Not Unless I'm Being Chased) April 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oooh, I’ve been to She Sells Sea Shells. It’s so cute! It was neat to see all your Sanibel Island pics, I was there back in 2005. So pretty! :)
I almost always skip dessert when we eat out. I must give off some kind of vibe to the wait staff because they usually ask, “did we save room for…? okay, no, that’s a no.”

Jil April 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Ahhh! The dolphin pictures are aaaaaamzing!!!!! So cute!!!! And those pizzas look awesome!

Allie O April 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself in my hometown!! Our Pizza Fusion is unfortunately VERY small and slow. :)

Debbi April 1, 2010 at 3:00 pm

The pizza looks amazing and the dolphins look like so much fun!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm

First of all, you look amazing in your bikini!!! And the dolphins are precious!!!
Mmmm that pizza and brownie, oh YUM!!! Talk about my PERFECT ideal meal!

Angela April 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Safe travels home!! I love to split dessert with my hubs when we have the chance to get out for a nice dinner!

And ya…very sad that we don’t get Hulu in Canada.:(

Noelle April 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I want to be there! I meant to ask, is Eric vegan at certain times? I know I have seen him eat chicken, but I see that he is nice to go to places that have many vegan choices.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I spent my summer working on Hilton Head Island, SC last year and got within 1 foot of a WHOLE FAMILY OF DOLPHINS while KAYAKING!!! It was incredible. They were blowing out of the holes on their head right in front of me. It was a little scary though b/c I didn’t know if they were gonna tip my kayak!!

I love dolphins. They make me smile.

Leah April 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I love the dolphin pictures. Ive only ever seen them at the aquarium and its just not the same. Theyre adorable!!

Taylor April 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Typically my man and I judge dessert on what we ate for dinner. If it was a “splurge” of a dinner than we typically go without. But if we ate healthfully and moderately, we will use our splurge on dessert (which we ALWAYS just split). Kinda an either/or deal. Being a sweet tooth…I normally prefer a healthier, lighter meal and a good dessert, even if it’s just a few bites!

Meg's Gut April 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Usually I can’t have many of the desserts listed on the menu as they’re filled with sugar, dairy and gluten…boo!

Those are great pics of the dolphins! And the mango-avocado sammie sounds very intersting, I am interested to try that combo!

Christine (The Raw Project) April 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Great dolphin pics! On dessert when going out – depends on what’s on the menu, I’m not comfortable with sugar and dairy loaded options, but am all over it at a vegan/raw-vegan place! :-)

Kelly April 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I’m definitely always too full for dessert- oops!

I stayed at a Country Inn and Suites in Niagara and I thought it was really nice :) Glad you are still having a ton of fun!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 1, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Congrats for being bold enough to put pics of yourself in a bikini. You look great and you should flaunt your hard work.

kate April 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm

You dont have Hulu in Canada?!?! What a crime!

Candice April 1, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE the dolphins – that definitely would have been my favorite part of the day!

I hardly ever order dessert out – the only exception I make is if they have good looking vegan desserts. It’s so rare to find a place that caters to vegans, you gotta take advantage of it when you can!

kim April 1, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Oh my God, those dolphins are KILLING me. Dolphins are the most amazing creatures… I love them! Thanks for those pictures! Glad you’re having a great time.

stina April 1, 2010 at 7:45 pm

You’re dolphin pictures are amazing Angela! So gorgeous!

Usually when I’m out I look at the dessert menu right away. If something really stands out, I make it a point to save some room. Usually I end up skipping it. I do really like that restaurants are moving toward small, single serving desserts too. That makes it a lot easier.

Mary April 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm

This si so cool!! My grandmother lived in Fort Myers for all of my younger years..so many memories of summers or holidays spent there and it’s neat to recognize these places in pictures you posted. the one that stood out the most was She Sells Sea Shells. My dad use to work there when he was a kid!! :D I hope you enjoy the rest of the vacation!

Mary April 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm

This is so cool!! My grandmother lived in Fort Myers for all of my younger years..so many memories of summers or holidays spent there and it’s neat to recognize these places in pictures you posted. the one that stood out the most was She Sells Sea Shells. My dad use to work there when he was a kid!! :D I hope you enjoy the rest of the vacation!

Kim April 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

This may sound like a dumb question, but why don’t you have access to hulu in Canada? I thought it was the world-wide web?

Michelle @ HeathyEatingRoadmap April 1, 2010 at 8:33 pm

The dolphins look so awesome!!!! I don’t order desert anymore at restaurants, but when I did I’d only ever get tiramisu. I had a strange obsession with it :)

Jenyfyr April 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm

FABULOUS dolphin pics! Aren’t they amazing?! My hubby and I did a whale & dolphin watching tour in Dominica last October and we had the same thing with the dolphins playing in the wake of the boat (but we had about 200 of them…it was breathtaking). My videos didn’t turn out great so I’ve told him we have to do the same trip when our cruise ship stops there again this October, lol. Have a safe trip home! Good news – it’s been a beautiful week here in Ontario and this weekend is supposed to hit highs of 25!

Tina April 1, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oh the dolphins are so cute. That is such a fun experience when they ride by the boat. How fun! You look gorgeous too!

And for desserts, we don’t usually order them because we are always so full as well. Sometimes we might have something sweet later on, after we are home though.

pam landy April 1, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I love Pizza Fusion!! Their multigrain crust is so yummy. I usually skip dessert at the actual restaurant with a few exceptions (cpk and cheesecake factory have amazing warm apple crisp I can’t always say no to even though my stomach is full), but usually opt for frozen yogurt afterward instead. :)

mountain girl April 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Mm…spirulina chips- where’d you get ’em? The pizza looks great. Dessert: I NEVER get it out. I only have sweet things if I concoct them myself, since that way I can make them healthy. Well, except for Purely Decadent Coconut Milk ice cream that is…:) But that’s as healthy as store-bought dessert comes, anyway! (And as expensive…yikes, $6/pint!)

Jolene April 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Ooooooooh I love dolphins!!! So cute!!!

I am not a very big dessert fan. I much prefer something savoury or a coffee after dinner. I will occasionally order dessert, but it has to really stand out for me to want to try it.

Audrey April 2, 2010 at 12:16 am

Dolphins have to be one of my favorite animals. They are so cute! I love how it looks like they are smiling. :)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan April 2, 2010 at 7:52 am

Aw, cute pics in the sunglasses! I LOVE that baby dolphin, too! He’s totally smiling! ADORABLE.

I almost never order dessert in restaurants. Partly because it’s rare that a vegan dessert is offered, but also because I’m usually too full & don’t want to stuff myself. Though if I’m dining somewhere that has great vegan desserts, sometimes I’ll save a lil’ room so I can try something!

Ashley April 2, 2010 at 7:58 am

look at you being such a sun baby! loving seeing all about your vacation :) enjoy!!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit April 2, 2010 at 8:33 am

Your Dolphin pics are amazing. What a great vacay! I love the beach, but I am a Cali girl. We use to go to the beach all the time and go body boarding.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 2, 2010 at 9:05 am

What beautiful pictures! And that dinner… yum!

xo
K

Alison April 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Awesome pictures of the dolphins!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

GREAT dolphin pictures!!! I went to wedding once on Sanibel Island. Some of the guests ended up missing the ceremony because they got stuck at a bridge lift. :(

Melissa April 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Wow! Those dolphins are amazing and they were so close to you boat. So cool! I love doing the person-in-the-sunglasses pictures..too fun!
Holy I’ve got to go on vacation to get me some good pizza! Looks awesome. The hubby and I usually opt out of dessert just because I like making my own:)

Anne P April 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Awww I’m obsessed with dolphins… those are AWESOME pictures!!

Justin September 5, 2016 at 10:32 am

I’m sure those dolphins were too cool to watch! it’s one thing to see them far off it’s a whole other experience when they’re up close.