Exercise While On Vacation

Hello :)  Hope you are having a good start to your week!

After yesterday’s post about the 7 course vegan feast, I left you with a cliff-hanger about Sarasota. The weather was warm but the rain put a real damper on our plans to hit up the beach and relax all day! We decided to see if we could cancel our hotel that we had booked and save some money by heading back to my mom’s place. Luckily enough, we could cancel and then we decided to spend the day in Sarasota looking around.

We went to St Armand’s Circle and it was really fun. Tons of shops and such. However we didn’t stay very long with the rain. After that we headed to the Sarasota outlets and decided on this place for lunch. When I saw the sign I knew it would be up my alley:

IMG 9746 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

:mrgreen:

There is just one location of the Fast n Fresh. Eric and I could see this restaurant doing SO WELL in Toronto!! They definitely need to expand.

When I walked in there was a sign that said you could customize your own sandwich or salad!!! Ummm…basically a vegan’s dream! How cool is that?

IMG 9735 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

I was all business as I decided on my wrap. ;)

Eric got a Chicken Ceasar Wrap!

IMG 9737 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

I got a veggie wrap. I deemed this the vacation of wraps. I just can’t get enough of them! Wraps are such a great way to pack in a ton of veggie servings.

IMG 9738 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

IMG 9743 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Amazingly I ate every last bite ;)

IMG 9745 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Then we hit a few shops…My eyes bugged out of my head and I screamed when I saw this store called Fit 2 Run- The Runner’s Superstore. A runner’s superstore!?!? I left Eric in the dust and sprinted to the entrance. ;)

IMG 9748 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Not only do they have a treadmill to test your gait with various sneakers on, but they have an indoor track to run on!

IMG 9751 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

As you may know, I have had a terrible time with blisters ever since I started running. No one has ever been able to figure out why or fix the issues (even my foot doctor who made me custom orthotics!). I decided to have my gait analyzed and see if I was truly the severe overpronator that I thought I was. Well, it turned out that I am only a mild pronator and the Brooks I was wearing for the past two years were for severe pronation! Doh.

Additionally, the sales person said that I have very tiny ankle bones and narrow feet and I should have been running in narrow width all this time! This could be why I get blisters a lot because my heel slips around.

After trying and running on many pairs, these BROOKS Adrenaline GTS 10’s were the PERFECT fit!  I have high hopes for these babies.

IMG 2987 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

You know how they say when you try on the right wedding dress, you will just know? Well as soon as I tried these on (in narrow width) I finally felt like they were ‘the one’. They felt great and hugged my heel like a warm embrace. :mrgreen:

I also picked up a pair of my favourite running shorts:

IMG 2989 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

And blister socks that the saleslady swears by (she is a marathoner)

IMG 2988 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

They are sooooo comfy. I saved a ton of money by shopping in this store, so it was a win win situation all around! If you are ever in the Sarasota, Wellington, or Tampa area I highly suggest you check out this amazing store!

By the way, have you guys seen these new Five Fingers running ‘shoes’??? Apparently they are all the rage…

IMG 9761 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

After the outlets we headed back to my mom and John’s place. By this point we had driven 6 hours yesterday and we were ready to relax and unpack out suitcase.

We had a quick and easy dinner:

Salad with tomatoes, mary’s crackers, and red wine vinegar:

IMG 2974 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Butternut squash:

IMG 2979 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Hummus with toast:

IMG 2981 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

Some type of orange…not sure what kind it was, but it tasted like a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. Pure love!

IMG 2985 thumb   Exercise While On Vacation

It is still raining here so we are going to hit up some of the outlets in Naples today and I am going back to SUPER TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes. It will be off the hook.

My Approach To Exercise While On Vacation

I haven’t had any formal exercise for the past couple days, but I hope to run in my new sneakers later today when the rain stops.

My approach to exercise on vacation is to exercise when you can fit it in, but don’t stress when you can’t.

I also like to try new forms of exercise. We swam a lot at the beach and also in the hotel pool a couple times last week. We also have done a ton of walking, so even if I don’t get in formal exercise I know that I am being active.

Last week, I was able to fit in really strong workouts each day because I knew that there would be a few days of really early mornings with little sleep when I would not be able to fit a workout in. I love to workout while on vacation because it just makes me feel so good and I feel like something is missing when I can’t get in a good sweat to start the day.

What is your approach to exercise while on vacation? Do you take a break, try new things, or stick to your regular routine?

Kate March 29, 2010

That wrap looks awesome! :)

It really depends on where we’re at on vacation. My parents have a place in SC, so I’ll usually do yoga in the mornings and we’ll go for a walk with our coffee to the store to pick up a paper, or go kayaking during the day, pass the soccer ball, swim in the ocean, etc. I usually take that as a “break” from my formal exercise to spice things up a bit, but make sure I get my heart pumping one way or another!

Jenny March 29, 2010

I usually take an active break- I’ll walk or surf or hike but won’t hit up the gym

Jessica @ How Sweet March 29, 2010

I love Brooks! I am not much of a runner, but when I do any form of running, Brooks are my shoes of choice. And I love your thoughts about exercise while on vaca – I feel the same!

Jen March 29, 2010

I just ran the Sarasota half-marathon the other week. I totally agree – Sarasota is a dream running place, the scenery is beautiful and the weather is perfect. Wish I knew about the Fit 2 Run – Runner Superstore when I visited! Hope you have more of an amazing time over there!

Cindy March 29, 2010

Interesting time for this post. I just got back from Disney World with my Mom and 2 kids. I had every intention of working out before the parks in the morning, even brought my bands and jump rope. Let’s just say I managed to run the stairs twice and that’s it. We did an awful lot of walking though and we were beat at the end of the day. I just came to terms with the fact that it’s okay to take a break once in a while. My body actually feels good and ready to return to the weight room. It’s just about trying to not feel guilty about it, especially since you’re probably eating more than normal at the same time. : )

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 29, 2010

I have a similar strategy to exercise while on vacation. I always bring my workout stuff with me and try to come up with an idea of how much I want to do (ie workout 3-4 times if its a week, etc) but I don’t stress if I can’t do that. I also try to be as active as possible (walking everywhere, etc) but its vacation, so you gotta live a little, right!?

Abri March 29, 2010

Isn’t St Armand’s Circle awesome? My husband and I went to Sarasota a few years ago and loved that area! I hope you continue to have a great time in Florida!

Melanie March 29, 2010

I was just at the Running Room last week for my clinic and the lady there recommended those exact socks! I’m picking them up later this week! :) Love the vacation posts Angela! You look like you’re having such a blast!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 29, 2010

Ever go to the Sandwich Box on Richmond? It’s similar.

Kelly March 29, 2010

That wrap looks amazing. I got my gait analyzed at the Asics store in NYC a few weeks ago, it was awesome. I love the Nike tempo running shorts, they’re my favorite too!

Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) March 29, 2010

I like your take on vacation work outs.

Like you, I tend to be fairly active while on vacation. I try not to worry about doing my regular fitness routine. I just stay active and take advantage of whatever activities are around. When I’m in Quebec, I ski. When I’m in Hawaii, I surf. That way I stay active, enjoy the vacation, and try new things.

Danielle (Coffee Run) March 29, 2010

I would be allllll over that running store :D I get more excited shopping for exercise attire than I do regular attire (probably something I should change lol)

I exercise consistently while I’m on vacation because I genuinely love it! It never felt like an obligation :)

Emmanuelle March 29, 2010

Just like you on vacation I try to fit in workouts when I can, but don’t obsess if I can’t. On Friday I’m leaving to France to spend a few days with my parents, we will go to their little country house, so I can see long walks with my mum in the country, breathing fresh air, in the near future. I will also try to fit in my morning yoga practice in my room before making an appearance for breakfast, I’ll see how it goes.
Then I’ll spend two days at their home in the city, there’s a lovely park near their apartment, and I usually borrow my mum’s old bike to go on small rides in this park when I’m there.
What I probably won’t be able to fit in are my longer yoga practices, I’ll try but I’m already planning a few long yoga sessions for when I am back in Brussels, so I won’t force anything.

I tend to still feel a little “guilty” when I don’t work out or practice yoga as much as I think I should, but I am slowly learning that there is no such thing as “should” but it’s all about embracing what I can do. And as you say so yourself, life happens!

katherine March 29, 2010

I generally try to stay active on vacation, like you, but don’t stress about squeezing in workouts. I also try to keep a reasonable sense of portions when I go out to eat too. Just because I’m on vacation doesn’t mean I need to stuff myself with food. Practicing moderation both in exercise and when dining out helps me maintain lots of energy and my sanity! :)

Btw, LOVE St. Armand’s Circle. We were there in February for my cousin’s wedding and adored it. Bummer it was raining though b/c there are some great shops and restaurants I bet you would have loved. At least you made it to the running store though :)

Majl March 29, 2010

Hey! They do have something very similar in Toronto. It’s called Fresii: http://www.freshii.com/

They have custom: salads, wraps, soups, frozen yogurt, and rice bowls.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 29, 2010

I 100 percent agree with you. For me, vacation is about seeing the sites and, if I’m outside the US, immersing myself in the culture. If I can get some exercise in while doing that, great. If not, I don’t stress. I think, “When will I ever get to do X, Y, or Z again?”

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 29, 2010

I usually take a break, and just try to make walking part of the vacation. Since I usually sit at a desk all day i figure walking everywhere is great for me!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 29, 2010

Oh my gosh I want to go to that running store!!!! And what a cool restaurant- I bet writing your own order down takes care of avoiding lots of mistakes!

Jolene March 29, 2010

I take a break from everything when I am on vacation … and that includes exercise.

On Friday I will be leaving to NY for a week, and I am sure I will be doing a LOT of walking there. I figure that is enough exercise for the week. I might, just might sneak in a jog around central park … but that is only because I am supposed to be training for the C25K!!

Valerie March 29, 2010

I love Sarasota! My grandparents go there for the winter each year and I’m planning to visit them next year for a week or so. Definitely want to go to that running store!

I try to exercise when on vacation or visiting my parents at home but I try not to stress about it. I’d rather enjoy my time rather than feel obligated to put in a good cardio session each day. Usually walking around sightseeing is good exercise and I fit in other stuff whenever there is a bit of downtime.

Holly March 29, 2010

That’s a cara cara orange! :)

Laura March 30, 2010

I think it might be a tangelo? They are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. Cara cara oranges usually taste like a cross between orange and cranberry.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 29, 2010

I need to look into those shoes!! I also have very narrow feet, tiny ankles, and get BAD blisters when I run!

Jes (Self Motivation) March 29, 2010

I am heading to Sarasota next weekend to visit the boyfriend’s family… I am definitely going to look into the running store and that delicious restaurant! Thanks for sharing!!!

Lindsay March 29, 2010

I bought that same pair of Brooks shoes this past November because I too have really narrow feet. They are amazing and hug my narrow (not so little) feet just right! I hope you like them as much as I do. :)

Lauren March 29, 2010

Between the awesome looking wraps and that running store, I just drooled all over my computer. I’ve actually seen someone race in those five finger shoes, and I thought it was just about the craziest thing ever. When I’m on vacation, I try to stick to my regular running routine, but if I’m too tired or don’t have time, I don’t cry about it.

Meg's Gut March 29, 2010

Angela, we actually have something like Fast n’ Fresh in Canada, it’s called Freshii, check out their website:

In regards with the exercise, i usually just try to not stress over any exercise and just enjoy the moment of the holiday :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 29, 2010

I feel like when you are on vacation, you are SO much more active than you think. Walking around, shopping, touring, etc. There’s no sense in giving up precious time with family/friends. However, if they are sleeping or doing something else, by all means–work up a sweat and get those endorphins pumping!

Jenny March 29, 2010

lol–I would be “all business” while checking boxes for my wrap too! That place sounds great :)

I just did a post about exercise on vacation–being more flexible and not stressing out is definitely my goal. I’m still pretty rigid with my plan, but I have gotten SO much better about it as time goes by. It’s definitely nice to take a break from “formal” exercise when on vacation and enjoy activities you don’t normally do. Glad you guys are having a great trip!

Kirsten March 29, 2010

A runners superstore! I would love to go there!

Glad you found the right fit of running shoes. Years ago when they first launched the ASICS Kinsei I was determined to get a pair as they were supposed to be “the” shoe. Turns out “the” shoe was not meant for my foot! I was in the completely wrong style!

Ameena March 29, 2010

I used to have a very strict schedule on vacation…exercise early in the morning and then walking around all day. But lately I have just been much more mellow about things. I am excited to go to Japan and Singapore in April and I am anticipating lots of walking and maybe some yoga, but I’m hoping to stay out of the gym as much as possible!

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 29, 2010

Getting fitted for shoes was the best thing I’ve ever done for my running.

And Hunni wants those 5 fingers for fun. We’re in debates as to how much he’ll use them.

Anais March 29, 2010

I would take a trip to Florida JUST for that store!!! I guess the beach doesn’t hurt either :P Do you know if there’s a similar store to this in Ontario? Now I’m kind of dreaming of finding the one (as in, the right shoe :P ).

I feel the same way when it comes to exercising on vacation. I try to fit it in as much as I can, but definitely won’t pass up on doing something else! On vacation I’m usually pretty active as it is (walking around) so I don’t feel bad if I have to skip a day. Truthfully, I always seem to lose weight when I’m on vacation. I think it’s because when I’m in front of the computer working I get bored and I’m more likely to snack, and I’m definitely not as active since I’m sitting down!

Gillian March 29, 2010

Freshii is a sweet take out/fast food place that seems just like Fast n Fresh!! There are locations all over downtown Toronto!

Jenna March 29, 2010

I have been thinking about this topic lately as I am headed on vacation in a little under two weeks. I have a half marathon coming up in June, so I am thinking that I will run on the treadmill a few days when and if I can, but other than that, I see vacation as a time to give your mind and body a break!

deisegirl March 29, 2010

ooh how exciting is it when you find a superstore devoted to one of your favourite things? I must admit my favourite “superstore” is one devoted entirely to storage but then I am more than a little tragic ;)

I always plan to workout at some stage during holidays. Last time I was abroad I worked out a few of the mornings – just short cardio workout DVDs that had been burned onto my MP4 player. I am not so good with morning workouts at the moment so I’m not sure how I would manage if I was to go abroad. Am going to stay with my “in laws” for the Easter weekend. It’s not abroad but on the other side of this teeny weeny country so I’m hoping I’ll redisover “morning exercise mojo”. I know there’ll be a fair bit of booze consumed though the thoughts of easter chocolate leave me pretty nonplussed because I seem to eat chocolate most days ;)

Lizzie March 29, 2010

Most of my travel usually involves some sort of jet lag and I used to be hard on myself to make sure I fitted in some sort of exercise. Now, unless I have a race coming up that I really, really want to go all out for, I just run when I can (it’s fun on trips to find places to run that take you out of your comfort zone). If I’m going home to my parents I make walking with my mum a priority (can chat and get exercise!). We don’t stay at resort-type places so I count walking around new places as exercise (and often that can be all day if you don’t have a lot of time to see everything). I think you’ve got a balanced approach to that and you’re getting all your usual veggies etc so enjoy!! I love that wrap. I’d make them for lunch more often but they usually end up soggy by the time I eat them.

deisegirl March 29, 2010

That “design your own sandwich” card is brilliant btw, and a what a great choice of toppings!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 29, 2010

That running store would be like a dream come true! SO awesome!

Katie March 29, 2010

So happy to hear that you’ve finally found the right shoes. I’ve been wearing the adrenaline line for the last year and they are fabulous. I nearly drooled on my laptop keyboard with the picture of the running super store. So unfair that we don’t have one in Ontario. :(

That build your own sandwich card is genius!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love March 29, 2010

I love restaurants like that! I am usually a bad exerciser on vacations because I just don’t do it. It is just so hard to fit it in with everything else going on. However, my last two vacays were snowboarding trips to Colorado so I guess that counts as working out!

Ashley March 29, 2010

LOVE vibram 5 fingers. I have a whole page dedicated to them on my blog…but it’s more about the barefoot running style, which I’m just starting to get into. Every single thing I read about it makes SO much sense..it’s incredible. I’m currently reading the book Born To Run which is amazing, and completely changing the way I view running. :)

Page 1 of 3123»