Exercise While On Vacation

Hello :)  Hope you are having a good start to your week!

After yesterday’s post about the 7 course vegan feast, I left you with a cliff-hanger about Sarasota. The weather was warm but the rain put a real damper on our plans to hit up the beach and relax all day! We decided to see if we could cancel our hotel that we had booked and save some money by heading back to my mom’s place. Luckily enough, we could cancel and then we decided to spend the day in Sarasota looking around.

We went to St Armand’s Circle and it was really fun. Tons of shops and such. However we didn’t stay very long with the rain. After that we headed to the Sarasota outlets and decided on this place for lunch. When I saw the sign I knew it would be up my alley:

IMG_9746

:mrgreen:

There is just one location of the Fast n Fresh. Eric and I could see this restaurant doing SO WELL in Toronto!! They definitely need to expand.

When I walked in there was a sign that said you could customize your own sandwich or salad!!! Ummm…basically a vegan’s dream! How cool is that?

IMG_9735

I was all business as I decided on my wrap. ;)

Eric got a Chicken Ceasar Wrap!

IMG_9737

I got a veggie wrap. I deemed this the vacation of wraps. I just can’t get enough of them! Wraps are such a great way to pack in a ton of veggie servings.

IMG_9738

IMG_9743

Amazingly I ate every last bite ;)

IMG_9745

Then we hit a few shops…My eyes bugged out of my head and I screamed when I saw this store called Fit 2 Run- The Runner’s Superstore. A runner’s superstore!?!? I left Eric in the dust and sprinted to the entrance. ;)

IMG_9748

Not only do they have a treadmill to test your gait with various sneakers on, but they have an indoor track to run on!

IMG_9751

As you may know, I have had a terrible time with blisters ever since I started running. No one has ever been able to figure out why or fix the issues (even my foot doctor who made me custom orthotics!). I decided to have my gait analyzed and see if I was truly the severe overpronator that I thought I was. Well, it turned out that I am only a mild pronator and the Brooks I was wearing for the past two years were for severe pronation! Doh.

Additionally, the sales person said that I have very tiny ankle bones and narrow feet and I should have been running in narrow width all this time! This could be why I get blisters a lot because my heel slips around.

After trying and running on many pairs, these BROOKS Adrenaline GTS 10’s were the PERFECT fit!  I have high hopes for these babies.

IMG_2987

You know how they say when you try on the right wedding dress, you will just know? Well as soon as I tried these on (in narrow width) I finally felt like they were ‘the one’. They felt great and hugged my heel like a warm embrace. :mrgreen:

I also picked up a pair of my favourite running shorts:

IMG_2989

And blister socks that the saleslady swears by (she is a marathoner)

IMG_2988

They are sooooo comfy. I saved a ton of money by shopping in this store, so it was a win win situation all around! If you are ever in the Sarasota, Wellington, or Tampa area I highly suggest you check out this amazing store!

By the way, have you guys seen these new Five Fingers running ‘shoes’??? Apparently they are all the rage…

IMG_9761

After the outlets we headed back to my mom and John’s place. By this point we had driven 6 hours yesterday and we were ready to relax and unpack out suitcase.

We had a quick and easy dinner:

Salad with tomatoes, mary’s crackers, and red wine vinegar:

IMG_2974

Butternut squash:

IMG_2979

Hummus with toast:

IMG_2981

Some type of orange…not sure what kind it was, but it tasted like a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. Pure love!

IMG_2985

It is still raining here so we are going to hit up some of the outlets in Naples today and I am going back to SUPER TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes. It will be off the hook.

My Approach To Exercise While On Vacation

I haven’t had any formal exercise for the past couple days, but I hope to run in my new sneakers later today when the rain stops.

My approach to exercise on vacation is to exercise when you can fit it in, but don’t stress when you can’t.

I also like to try new forms of exercise. We swam a lot at the beach and also in the hotel pool a couple times last week. We also have done a ton of walking, so even if I don’t get in formal exercise I know that I am being active.

Last week, I was able to fit in really strong workouts each day because I knew that there would be a few days of really early mornings with little sleep when I would not be able to fit a workout in. I love to workout while on vacation because it just makes me feel so good and I feel like something is missing when I can’t get in a good sweat to start the day.

What is your approach to exercise while on vacation? Do you take a break, try new things, or stick to your regular routine?

1 Kate March 29, 2010

That wrap looks awesome! :)

It really depends on where we’re at on vacation. My parents have a place in SC, so I’ll usually do yoga in the mornings and we’ll go for a walk with our coffee to the store to pick up a paper, or go kayaking during the day, pass the soccer ball, swim in the ocean, etc. I usually take that as a “break” from my formal exercise to spice things up a bit, but make sure I get my heart pumping one way or another!

2 Jenny March 29, 2010

I usually take an active break- I’ll walk or surf or hike but won’t hit up the gym

3 Jessica @ How Sweet March 29, 2010

I love Brooks! I am not much of a runner, but when I do any form of running, Brooks are my shoes of choice. And I love your thoughts about exercise while on vaca – I feel the same!

4 Jen March 29, 2010

I just ran the Sarasota half-marathon the other week. I totally agree – Sarasota is a dream running place, the scenery is beautiful and the weather is perfect. Wish I knew about the Fit 2 Run – Runner Superstore when I visited! Hope you have more of an amazing time over there!

5 Cindy March 29, 2010

Interesting time for this post. I just got back from Disney World with my Mom and 2 kids. I had every intention of working out before the parks in the morning, even brought my bands and jump rope. Let’s just say I managed to run the stairs twice and that’s it. We did an awful lot of walking though and we were beat at the end of the day. I just came to terms with the fact that it’s okay to take a break once in a while. My body actually feels good and ready to return to the weight room. It’s just about trying to not feel guilty about it, especially since you’re probably eating more than normal at the same time. : )

6 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 29, 2010

I have a similar strategy to exercise while on vacation. I always bring my workout stuff with me and try to come up with an idea of how much I want to do (ie workout 3-4 times if its a week, etc) but I don’t stress if I can’t do that. I also try to be as active as possible (walking everywhere, etc) but its vacation, so you gotta live a little, right!?

7 Abri March 29, 2010

Isn’t St Armand’s Circle awesome? My husband and I went to Sarasota a few years ago and loved that area! I hope you continue to have a great time in Florida!

8 Melanie March 29, 2010

I was just at the Running Room last week for my clinic and the lady there recommended those exact socks! I’m picking them up later this week! :) Love the vacation posts Angela! You look like you’re having such a blast!!!

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 29, 2010

Ever go to the Sandwich Box on Richmond? It’s similar.

10 Kelly March 29, 2010

That wrap looks amazing. I got my gait analyzed at the Asics store in NYC a few weeks ago, it was awesome. I love the Nike tempo running shorts, they’re my favorite too!

11 Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) March 29, 2010

I like your take on vacation work outs.

Like you, I tend to be fairly active while on vacation. I try not to worry about doing my regular fitness routine. I just stay active and take advantage of whatever activities are around. When I’m in Quebec, I ski. When I’m in Hawaii, I surf. That way I stay active, enjoy the vacation, and try new things.

12 Danielle (Coffee Run) March 29, 2010

I would be allllll over that running store :D I get more excited shopping for exercise attire than I do regular attire (probably something I should change lol)

I exercise consistently while I’m on vacation because I genuinely love it! It never felt like an obligation :)

13 Emmanuelle March 29, 2010

Just like you on vacation I try to fit in workouts when I can, but don’t obsess if I can’t. On Friday I’m leaving to France to spend a few days with my parents, we will go to their little country house, so I can see long walks with my mum in the country, breathing fresh air, in the near future. I will also try to fit in my morning yoga practice in my room before making an appearance for breakfast, I’ll see how it goes.
Then I’ll spend two days at their home in the city, there’s a lovely park near their apartment, and I usually borrow my mum’s old bike to go on small rides in this park when I’m there.
What I probably won’t be able to fit in are my longer yoga practices, I’ll try but I’m already planning a few long yoga sessions for when I am back in Brussels, so I won’t force anything.

I tend to still feel a little “guilty” when I don’t work out or practice yoga as much as I think I should, but I am slowly learning that there is no such thing as “should” but it’s all about embracing what I can do. And as you say so yourself, life happens!

14 katherine March 29, 2010

I generally try to stay active on vacation, like you, but don’t stress about squeezing in workouts. I also try to keep a reasonable sense of portions when I go out to eat too. Just because I’m on vacation doesn’t mean I need to stuff myself with food. Practicing moderation both in exercise and when dining out helps me maintain lots of energy and my sanity! :)

Btw, LOVE St. Armand’s Circle. We were there in February for my cousin’s wedding and adored it. Bummer it was raining though b/c there are some great shops and restaurants I bet you would have loved. At least you made it to the running store though :)

15 Majl March 29, 2010

Hey! They do have something very similar in Toronto. It’s called Fresii: http://www.freshii.com/

They have custom: salads, wraps, soups, frozen yogurt, and rice bowls.

16 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 29, 2010

I 100 percent agree with you. For me, vacation is about seeing the sites and, if I’m outside the US, immersing myself in the culture. If I can get some exercise in while doing that, great. If not, I don’t stress. I think, “When will I ever get to do X, Y, or Z again?”

17 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 29, 2010

I usually take a break, and just try to make walking part of the vacation. Since I usually sit at a desk all day i figure walking everywhere is great for me!

18 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 29, 2010

Oh my gosh I want to go to that running store!!!! And what a cool restaurant- I bet writing your own order down takes care of avoiding lots of mistakes!

19 Jolene March 29, 2010

I take a break from everything when I am on vacation … and that includes exercise.

On Friday I will be leaving to NY for a week, and I am sure I will be doing a LOT of walking there. I figure that is enough exercise for the week. I might, just might sneak in a jog around central park … but that is only because I am supposed to be training for the C25K!!

20 Valerie March 29, 2010

I love Sarasota! My grandparents go there for the winter each year and I’m planning to visit them next year for a week or so. Definitely want to go to that running store!

I try to exercise when on vacation or visiting my parents at home but I try not to stress about it. I’d rather enjoy my time rather than feel obligated to put in a good cardio session each day. Usually walking around sightseeing is good exercise and I fit in other stuff whenever there is a bit of downtime.

21 Holly March 29, 2010

That’s a cara cara orange! :)

22 Laura March 30, 2010

I think it might be a tangelo? They are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. Cara cara oranges usually taste like a cross between orange and cranberry.

23 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 29, 2010

I need to look into those shoes!! I also have very narrow feet, tiny ankles, and get BAD blisters when I run!

24 Jes (Self Motivation) March 29, 2010

I am heading to Sarasota next weekend to visit the boyfriend’s family… I am definitely going to look into the running store and that delicious restaurant! Thanks for sharing!!!

25 Lindsay March 29, 2010

I bought that same pair of Brooks shoes this past November because I too have really narrow feet. They are amazing and hug my narrow (not so little) feet just right! I hope you like them as much as I do. :)

26 Lauren March 29, 2010

Between the awesome looking wraps and that running store, I just drooled all over my computer. I’ve actually seen someone race in those five finger shoes, and I thought it was just about the craziest thing ever. When I’m on vacation, I try to stick to my regular running routine, but if I’m too tired or don’t have time, I don’t cry about it.

27 Meg's Gut March 29, 2010

Angela, we actually have something like Fast n’ Fresh in Canada, it’s called Freshii, check out their website:

In regards with the exercise, i usually just try to not stress over any exercise and just enjoy the moment of the holiday :)

28 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 29, 2010

I feel like when you are on vacation, you are SO much more active than you think. Walking around, shopping, touring, etc. There’s no sense in giving up precious time with family/friends. However, if they are sleeping or doing something else, by all means–work up a sweat and get those endorphins pumping!

29 Jenny March 29, 2010

lol–I would be “all business” while checking boxes for my wrap too! That place sounds great :)

I just did a post about exercise on vacation–being more flexible and not stressing out is definitely my goal. I’m still pretty rigid with my plan, but I have gotten SO much better about it as time goes by. It’s definitely nice to take a break from “formal” exercise when on vacation and enjoy activities you don’t normally do. Glad you guys are having a great trip!

30 Kirsten March 29, 2010

A runners superstore! I would love to go there!

Glad you found the right fit of running shoes. Years ago when they first launched the ASICS Kinsei I was determined to get a pair as they were supposed to be “the” shoe. Turns out “the” shoe was not meant for my foot! I was in the completely wrong style!

31 Ameena March 29, 2010

I used to have a very strict schedule on vacation…exercise early in the morning and then walking around all day. But lately I have just been much more mellow about things. I am excited to go to Japan and Singapore in April and I am anticipating lots of walking and maybe some yoga, but I’m hoping to stay out of the gym as much as possible!

32 Cynthia (It All Changes) March 29, 2010

Getting fitted for shoes was the best thing I’ve ever done for my running.

And Hunni wants those 5 fingers for fun. We’re in debates as to how much he’ll use them.

33 Anais March 29, 2010

I would take a trip to Florida JUST for that store!!! I guess the beach doesn’t hurt either :P Do you know if there’s a similar store to this in Ontario? Now I’m kind of dreaming of finding the one (as in, the right shoe :P ).

I feel the same way when it comes to exercising on vacation. I try to fit it in as much as I can, but definitely won’t pass up on doing something else! On vacation I’m usually pretty active as it is (walking around) so I don’t feel bad if I have to skip a day. Truthfully, I always seem to lose weight when I’m on vacation. I think it’s because when I’m in front of the computer working I get bored and I’m more likely to snack, and I’m definitely not as active since I’m sitting down!

34 Gillian March 29, 2010

Freshii is a sweet take out/fast food place that seems just like Fast n Fresh!! There are locations all over downtown Toronto!

35 Jenna March 29, 2010

I have been thinking about this topic lately as I am headed on vacation in a little under two weeks. I have a half marathon coming up in June, so I am thinking that I will run on the treadmill a few days when and if I can, but other than that, I see vacation as a time to give your mind and body a break!

36 deisegirl March 29, 2010

ooh how exciting is it when you find a superstore devoted to one of your favourite things? I must admit my favourite “superstore” is one devoted entirely to storage but then I am more than a little tragic ;)

I always plan to workout at some stage during holidays. Last time I was abroad I worked out a few of the mornings – just short cardio workout DVDs that had been burned onto my MP4 player. I am not so good with morning workouts at the moment so I’m not sure how I would manage if I was to go abroad. Am going to stay with my “in laws” for the Easter weekend. It’s not abroad but on the other side of this teeny weeny country so I’m hoping I’ll redisover “morning exercise mojo”. I know there’ll be a fair bit of booze consumed though the thoughts of easter chocolate leave me pretty nonplussed because I seem to eat chocolate most days ;)

37 Lizzie March 29, 2010

Most of my travel usually involves some sort of jet lag and I used to be hard on myself to make sure I fitted in some sort of exercise. Now, unless I have a race coming up that I really, really want to go all out for, I just run when I can (it’s fun on trips to find places to run that take you out of your comfort zone). If I’m going home to my parents I make walking with my mum a priority (can chat and get exercise!). We don’t stay at resort-type places so I count walking around new places as exercise (and often that can be all day if you don’t have a lot of time to see everything). I think you’ve got a balanced approach to that and you’re getting all your usual veggies etc so enjoy!! I love that wrap. I’d make them for lunch more often but they usually end up soggy by the time I eat them.

38 deisegirl March 29, 2010

That “design your own sandwich” card is brilliant btw, and a what a great choice of toppings!

39 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 29, 2010

That running store would be like a dream come true! SO awesome!

40 Katie March 29, 2010

So happy to hear that you’ve finally found the right shoes. I’ve been wearing the adrenaline line for the last year and they are fabulous. I nearly drooled on my laptop keyboard with the picture of the running super store. So unfair that we don’t have one in Ontario. :(

That build your own sandwich card is genius!

41 Whitney @ Lettuce Love March 29, 2010

I love restaurants like that! I am usually a bad exerciser on vacations because I just don’t do it. It is just so hard to fit it in with everything else going on. However, my last two vacays were snowboarding trips to Colorado so I guess that counts as working out!

42 Ashley March 29, 2010

LOVE vibram 5 fingers. I have a whole page dedicated to them on my blog…but it’s more about the barefoot running style, which I’m just starting to get into. Every single thing I read about it makes SO much sense..it’s incredible. I’m currently reading the book Born To Run which is amazing, and completely changing the way I view running. :)

43 Christa March 29, 2010

I love Brooks! FYI, I just bought the Adrenaline GTS 9 on clearance from an online retailer 2 weeks ago. At about Jan/Feb, the new models come in and the old ones get discounted to clear. You can save probably 40% off last year’s models with a little searching. Helps to keep the shoe costs in check if you replace your shoes every year like I do. I’m not a marathon runner, so I only need 1 pair a year.

44 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 29, 2010

i love being able to exercise on vacation, but what essentially always happens is we end up walking everywhere. this is great because we get to see the sights and stay active, however, due to my past with disordered eating i always feel like i haven’t done enough. but i suppose at least i’m doing that much!

45 Lisa March 29, 2010

What a cool looking running store!!

As for vacations…I always exercise on vacation. My routine doesn’t change just because I’m somewhere other than my home. I’m pretty active and so I like to do hikes and stuff when I visit new places.

Last time I went to Vegas, I used the casino gym one morning and then the next day I went for a run. It was cool to run in Vegas (it was AM and cool out) and see things I wouldn’t normally see.

46 jessica March 29, 2010

just bought those same brooks running shoes. i had been wearing inappropriate shoes and in the past weeks noticed more pain. bought the brooks a week ago and my pain has already dropped dramatically. in.love.with.them!

47 Kelly (Local Foodie's Fight) March 29, 2010

It really depends for me. If I’m not doing a lot of touristy stuff/walking around, I try to hit the gym in the morning or go for a run. But that doesn’t usually work out half the time! Too many other distractions on vacation! I think its ok to take a break, as long as thats what makes you happy.

And about those five finger shoes–did you try them? are they comfy??

48 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 29, 2010

I try to exercise! SO I can indulge a little :)
Sara

49 Lynda March 29, 2010

Your vacation looks fantastic. Exactly the type of holiday I would love. I think I’ve talked my husband into taking a Florida road trip next year. I might copy yours :).

50 Astrid March 29, 2010

I was just on vacation last week on a field trip in New Mexico. I didn’t stress too much about working out, because there was some walking and hiking during the trip. I did get up a little early every morning to do 30-40 minutes of yoga. My body deserved some good stretching and a gentle workout. I tend to have hard workouts and not take many breaks while I am home. So I think vacations have become a nice break for my body, too. Since I am being gentler on my mind during a vacation, I might as well treat my body the same way!

51 Kris March 29, 2010

Isn’t Fit 2 Run great? That’s a nice little mall so close to me, but you missed the Ellenton Outlets. Hopefully, you’re getting to the outlets in Estero while you’re in Naples. We book our hotels, cruises, based on the quality of the exercise facilities. We won’t book something that doesn’t have what we need since we can’t always depend on the weather (when I’m in Minnesota) for running outside. We check out the hotel website, call to verify, and our cruises are on Princess which has fabulous gyms on the larger ships.

52 Kelly March 29, 2010

Hi Ange,
This is kind of a personal question, but I was wondering if Eric ever gets upset and bothered by the fact that you are a vegan? I am also a vegan, and my husband tells me it’s a form of an eating disorder. If I didn’t eat crackers because they weren’t “vegan” I would get a lot of crap from him. Does eric like your vegan lifestyle?

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2010

Thats a really good question and I know other vegans who get a lot of comments from people in their lives. I am really lucky in that Eric is super supportive of the vegan lifestyle. He actually has a lot of respect for vegans…he’s told me that he admires anyone who can make so many sacrifices. It would be really hard if he didnt support me…so I can imagine how you feel.

54 Tina March 29, 2010

I usually take a break from formal workouts while on vacation, but I am always active. It is just part of our lifestyle and vacation is the perfect time to fit in some fun activities that move your body. People who stress about workouts on vacation confuse me. LOL

And that wrap looks soooo good!

55 Nicole, RD March 29, 2010

I have seen those running shoes with the toes – I think they’re so cute! Nerdy, but cute :)

I agree with you on vacation exercise, yep!

56 Lauren March 29, 2010

I try new things for sure! I love exercising on vacation- it makes me excited! ;)

57 Christine (The Raw Project) March 29, 2010

The wraps look wonderful. I try to exercise regularly when on vacation, but don’t stress if I can’t. I actually enjoy checking out and using hotel gyms.

58 AnneW March 29, 2010

I love going on morning runs when I’m visiting different places. It’s such an awesome way to explore. My favorite runs while traveling have been in Hyde Park, London and Pebble Beach, CA. I always find that I can go longer because I want to see more of the area, and it gives me energy for the rest of the day!

59 Ami March 29, 2010

I love Vibrams and the book Born to Run! They’ve both changed the way I run physically and mentally. I met Scott Jurek, an awesome vegan ultra-marathoner(who is featured in Born to Run) a couple weeks ago and he is so cool!!

I also want to try the Nike Free shoe to see if I can keep my great new stride in a light shoe opposed to the vibrams as an every day workout shoe.

60 Ashley March 30, 2010

Whoa. I just saw this comment!! I run with VFF’s and am over 1/2 way thru born to run. I can’t believe you MET Scott!!! I didn’t know he was Vegan..ah-mazing! Yes, I also want to try the Nike shoes. I agree on the physical and mental changes…it has been amazing…off to your blog now :)

61 Paige March 29, 2010

Wow! I would go crazy in that running store. I’ve never seen a store that large devoted to just running. Awesome!

As far as working out on vacation…I try to stick to my regular routine (plus or minus a few miles). Running in a new place is one of my favorite parts of going on vacation!

62 KelseyJ March 29, 2010

That running store looks awesome! I wish I had one like that nearby!

My sister has a pair of those “5 finger” running shoes…she says that they are actually quite comfortable!

63 Deirdre March 29, 2010

I just bought running shoes for the first time and I bought the SAME pair you just did. I’ve run in them about 6 times and I love them.

64 Dotsie March 29, 2010

I always intend on exercising while on vacation, but it’s rare that I do! I don’t stress about it, though! Unless it’s going to be a long-ish vacation, say two weeks or longers, I probably wouldn’t stress over exercise! :-D

65 Eliana >^..^ March 29, 2010

I would go crazy in the store, I have those same socks and I love them.

Hope you are having a nice relaxing day, and see if you can make it to Corkscrew Audubon Sanctuary. Its magical.

66 Leah March 29, 2010

I need a store like that. I go to a running store to get my shoes, but theyve sent me home with the WRONG ones a couple times now. I have such a hard time getting the right shoes, its not fun!
I HAVE seen those toe shoes. I think they would bother me though. I dont like toe socks, so I dont think I’d be comfortable in the shoes.

67 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 29, 2010

How awesome is that store!? I’d love to get my gait analyzed. But I already know I supinate. Darn those high arches..

I tend to get in as much exercise as I can. Definitely go by how I feel and how much time I have, but I love to exercise on vacation. Some people kind of look down on it, but why would I not do something I love to do, just because I’m away from home??

68 Midgetkeeper March 29, 2010

While on vacation I try to work out if I can get it in, if not it’s ok. We always try and be as active as possible, lots of walking, or doing activities that get us up and moving.

69 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 29, 2010

That is a great approach. Mine when I am on vacation is similar to yours. If there is a chance, I take it! But if not, I don’t stress- vacations are supposed to be FUN, and no stress!!

That store looks amazing!! As does that wrap, yum!

xo
K

70 Tay March 29, 2010

Back when I was in my exercise and eating obsessed state, I wold freak if I couldn’t exercise on vacation. I’d make sure to get in super long runs before and after vacation to “make up for it”. Even when I was in Europe for 2 weeks, I would get up at like 6 am and run 3-5 miles everyday. There was probahly only 2 days where I didn’t get up and run and I just would feel guilty all day! Now I look at is as a few days off isn’t going to kill you! And honestly while on vacation you usually get more walking in anyways!

71 Emily March 29, 2010

That place is similar to Freshii in Toronto. Pretty much the exact same concept. There are at least 10 Freshii locations around the city and its really great. Healthy fresh produce…build your own..its good. try it.

72 Sarah March 29, 2010

OMG – I love that you could customise your sandwich at that place!! How cool is that? And that running shop sounds great.

Personally, when I’m away, I don’t exercise. I don’t even intend to because it just makes me feel bad when I inevitably don’t. I just try to make sure that I go on more walks and to get more non-work-out-y activity in.

73 Jil March 29, 2010

That wrap looks … freaking amazzzzzzing!

74 Niki March 29, 2010

I like scaling back my workouts while on vaca. I am going away for a long weekend this thursday and plan on running while I am there, but if I miss a day….its ok :-)

75 Samantha March 29, 2010

Wow what a great store! I’ve always thought how cool it would be to have a runner’s superstore that’s bigger than a closet! I have some fivefingers and I love them!! I don’t run in them though, I just like being “barefoot.” I LOVE the experia socks. I have them and love the cushion. They are great for running in the winter too!

76 Holly March 29, 2010

Hi Angela,

I live in Sarasota, so I know what you mean about the rain this morning – yuck!

But, if you need more shopping, be sure to head up 75 to Ellenton, they have a huge outlet mall there. :) It’s not too far, maybe 10 miles at the most.

Also, if you like fish, I would recommend the blackened mahi-mahi sandwich at the Casey Key Fish House in Nokomis (a little south of Sarasota, on 41). It is divine!

Have fun – looks like the rest of the week will be nice so you will have great weather for the beach. Siesta Key Oyster Bar is always a fun spot to grab a quick lunch if that is the beach you are visiting.

Holly

77 kathleen March 29, 2010

last time i went to the running shoe store they recommended those exact shoes to me too! i was going to buy them but they had to order my size. i had also been getting blisters on my heels, though i don’t have narrow feet. when i went back to see if my size had come in, a new sales person gave me a laces tying tip to help with the blisters. i tied my old shoes the new way and didn’t end up going back to get the new shoes because i stopped getting blisters with the new lace method.

i guess its called the runner’s knot, if you’re curious. but i can’t wait to hear what you think of the shoes. they’re on my list for next time i need shoe replacement.

78 Katie March 29, 2010

That wrap looks fantastic. That is my ideal sandwich right there.

79 Tricia March 29, 2010

Cara cara orange! They are soooo good!
I just bought a gargantuan bag from Costco today!

80 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 29, 2010

Man that is a great looking wrap!!
I like to run when on vacation – and use it as a way to explore the new area :) It is an exercising form of sightseeing really!

81 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 29, 2010

That wrap looks delicious! It has given me inspiration for my lunch tomorrow. :D

Sadly I haven’t been away on vacation in a long time, but whenever I get time off school I go to my parents’ place. I manage to squeeze in workouts there because my mom’s gym lets me go for free!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2010

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about FRESHIIIIIIII =) I cant wait to go.

83 Brittany March 29, 2010

Hi Angela,

Loving your blog, I have been following it for a few months now.

I wear five fingers everyday. I love them to run in, weight train, walk, work etc etc. I love getting back to my barefoot roots. Check out my blog if you have time brittanysfooddiaries.blogspot.com

: )

Brittany x

84 Britt @ Runnerbelle March 29, 2010

Loving the vacation blogs! I cannot wait for warmer weather up north!!

I try to exercise first thing in the morning when on vacation, before the rest of the world gets going. That way I know I got my workout in and the day can bring what it may. We also do LOTS of walking on vacation usually, if we aren’t walking then we most likely have bikes with us instead.

85 Pure2Raw - Twins March 29, 2010

That running store looks awesome. I could have a lot of fun in there as well.

When I travel I try to exercise as much as possible when I can, it doesn’t always happen and I too try not to stress over it and just enjoy the vacation. Though it is hard because I enjoy working out. But vacation is also supposed to be a vacation ;)

86 Kelly March 29, 2010

I agree with your philosophy about exercise on vacation. I do tend to do it, but I don’t stress when I can’t fit it in, especially if its a vacation with a lot of walking!

That’s great news that you found shoes that might work. It really kind of annoys me that there are not a lot of people out there who can accurately tell if someone is a severe overpronater vs. just a little bit. C’mon people!

87 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 29, 2010

I 100% agree with your approach on exercise while on vacation. I agree with it so much it’s like the words came right out of my mouth. :) It’s so true how it makes you feel good to exercise while being on vacation, but it’s also nice to take a little break and relax.

88 Lisa March 29, 2010

When were at the beach we swim and jump waves in the ocean, throw the frisbee, walk on the beach, etc so it’s just hAving fun and what comes natural. We don’t eve think of it as exercise; just playing!

89 Katherine March 29, 2010

I always try and run on vacation just because I’m not relaxed if I haven’t run. The point of vacation is to relax- don’t even think about working out if you don’t want to!

I love Brooks shoes! great choice! (my mom showed me those finger shoes because she got really into chi running…I’ll look forward to hearing about them; they look bizarre to me)

Katherine
whataboutsummer.wordpress.com

90 Sarah March 29, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS!!! My parents live just south of Sarasota and I am SO GOING TO THAT STORE the next time I visit! Thank you thank you thank you!

Whenever we’re on vacation we’re usually pretty active (hiking and things like that). I bring my running stuff with me and try to get some runs in if it’s nice, but if I can’t, I don’t stress. It’s vacation!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

91 Faith March 29, 2010

Oh goodness, I dont think they’d be able to close a wrap if I ordered there! I’d have to order two just to fit it all in there ;) I’m the same with with vacay exercise – if there’s a hotel gym, I’ll do some light cardio in there, otherwise I hike, surf, boogie board, swim, do some serious shopping, ice skate, etc…never an inactive moment! Enjoy the last couple days of being an honorary Floridian!

92 angela @ a healthy fit March 29, 2010

That store looks amazing. An indoor track….amazing!

I love wraps! I will put almost anything in a tortilla. :)

93 lucie March 29, 2010

A runner’s superstore??? HECK YES!!

When I’m on vacation I tend to exercise just as much if not more. Usually vacation is closely related to exercise (ski/ snorkeling / swimming etc..)
I’m a college student and I went on a cruise for spring break. I used the gym on the ship, walked A LOT, went hiking in jamaica, went waterfall jumping & swim in the ocean, snorkel, and DANCE for hours every night.
On the other I did drink a bit too much. oops.

94 caronae March 29, 2010

Love the wrap! And that running store sounds amazing! Wish I lived in FL :)
I like to take active vacations that involve walking, hiking, swimming, canoeing, biking,trying new activities, etc. If a vacation is going to be unactive (i.e., visiting my grandparents in the dead of Canadian winter), I’ll try to set aside specific exercise time each day. But otherwise, I usually end up moving more than I do at home, which is saying a lot because I am quite active.

95 Natalie March 30, 2010

Oh wow! This store looks even better than Jack Rabbit Sports in New York. I get my exercise while on vacation however I can find it. If I’m staying at a hotel and the hotel has a gym then I wake up early and go there. If I’m near a beach, or on the beach (which I can rarely ever afford) I get up and run on the beach. When I was in Europe a few years ago there was no gym in my hotel, so I went sightseeing and walked for hours and took the train everywhere. In Jamaica we did water sports (and went dancing every night). I guess I have an anything goes attitude.

96 Crystal March 30, 2010

You are so inspiring! Your upbeat attitude always motivates me to treat my body better.

Thanks for being so awesome!

97 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 30, 2010

I am pretty sure I’d be in debt if I went to that store – sooo fun! Glad you found some new kicks =]

98 Carla Shorts March 30, 2010

Ange! We have the same shoes! Brooks are amazing, and I feel strongly that they will change your life. I also have a pair of those pink socks. Our feet are twins :) Hope you are enjoying your vacation! GREAT eats!

99 jenn March 30, 2010

I’ve been debating for a pair of those Vibrams for MONTHS. I workout barefoot or in water socks and think those would be a perfect fit. (No pun intended.)

My vacay routine just varies depending on where we are going and our schedule. I’m pretty chill about it.

100 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 30, 2010

Hey there! That wrap looks delicious : )

When I’m on vacation I usually let myself do whatever I feel like. Which in turns usually makes me WANT to work out! I just went away to India for 2 weeks and I did Yoga almost every morning!

xo

Jocelyn

101 Sara March 30, 2010

That wrap looks delicious!! I love fresh and simple lunches like that when eating out and on vacation! I’m headed to FL in a few weeks, so I’m going to put a bunch of the places you’ve been to on my list of places to make sure to hit up!

I’ve been a vegetarian for a year and a half and have recently gone vegan. I was wondering how you deal with bread when eating out and being vegan? That is, since you don’t have a list of the ingredients, what do you do about not knowing if there are milk and/or eggs in the bread or wraps?

Also, could you share your vegan graham cracker recipe with us?? I ran out of chia seeds recently, and after getting some more yesterday and putting some in my banana soft serve, I remembered your post about how well the graham crackers went with it, and I’m dying to make some!

As far as exercise on vacation goes, I try to get workouts in when I can, but mostly make sure I walk everywhere.

102 Katherine @ Lipgloss and Spandex March 30, 2010

That running store looks AMAZING! It’s like heaven, for runners. That’s so interesting that you hadn’t been fitted in narrow shoes… I hope these new ones solve the problem and work out for you. I’ve had problems with blisters too–Glide usually takes care of the problem, but this blogpost makes me wonder if the real issue is fit??

103 kim April 1, 2010

My hubby just wore those Vibram shoes to run the Athens, Greece Marathon. He LOVES them!

104 MarathonVal April 3, 2010

I have been running in Brooks Adrenalines since my very first half marathon years ago, and I’m a HUGE fan! I think you will love them! :)