A Day Of Fabulous Eats

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 25, 2010

Hello!

We checked into our new hotwire hotel in Fort Lauderdale at noon. We got a room at the Hyatt Pier 66…

IMG_9431IMG_9511

IMG_9453

The theme of our trip has been ‘you don’t know until you ask’- actually it is my theme for my life most of the time. I asked if we could be upgraded into a better room on a higher floor and lo and behold we could!

Our view from the balcony of the marina, intercostal, and cityline.

IMG_9418

IMG_9419

IMG_9420

This hotel has a very resort like feel to it! Very nice pools.

IMG_9417

The room is spacious, clean, and bright.

IMG_9424 IMG_9427

I also asked if we could have a late check-out tomorrow and lo and behold they said yes! I love when hotels are accommodating.

Bed is very comfy.

IMG_2870

Oh and it has a nice gym too! Will be sweating in there tomorrow.

IMG_9479

So we were in and out and on our way to EAT!!

IMG_9435

The Daily Squeeze is a tiny hole in the wall cafe with outdoor seating on the patio. You get to choose from a wrap, sandwich, rice bowl, or salad, and then you customize it from a huge array of toppings! There were sooooo many awesome toppings!

My high fibre wrap had tons of hummus as the base, avocado, lettuce, tomato, cukes, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, black pepper, sprouts, onions, and MORE!

IMG_9439

It was pretty much the best wrap I’ve ever had. I was so hungry too.

IMG_9441

The wrap also comes with either soup, a smoothie, or pop and chips. Naturally I got the smoothie! They are pre-made and consist of strawberries, banana, and apple juice. It was AWESOME and perfect on this hot day.

IMG_9437

We went down to the Marina to catch the water taxi and we saw this bird flapping his wings. We thought he was drying off or something, but when we got back later that day (hours later!) he was in the same position flapping his wings! What was he doing?

IMG_9457

We headed out on the water taxi and saw a ton of million dollar homes and yachts.

IMG_9478

IMG_2832 IMG_2848

We made a pit stop at 4pm and had some fuel…at a restaurant called Mangos on Las Olas Blvd.

Eric got a Caesar salad and fries:

IMG_9466 IMG_9467

I had a fruit bowl (it was HUGE!). WOW was this just amazing. Exactly what I was craving. I feel like I haven’t had much fruit since being on vacation. I find most restaurants don’t serve it!

IMG_9470

I also had a big salad but I forgot to take a picture.

Waiting for the water taxi took forever. We waited over 40 minutes to catch it back to the hotel! But we were in good company ;)

IMG_9474

After that we headed to the beach and walked all along it.

IMG_9482

IMG_9484IMG_9483

Sea turtle nest!!!!

IMG_9485

IMG_9490

We had a very late dinner at California Pizza Kitchen! We actually were on our way to Pizza Fusion but we got SO LOST! We finally got directions from a cop and still could not find this place! We spotted the CPK and said sure, why not…we were so starving by this point (it was 9:30pm)

IMG_9499

It was my first time eating here and I was so excited. I was expecting a small cafe type place but this place was really nice inside (and outside).

Eric and I have been rocking the water since our crazy night out…lol.

IMG_9500

Appetizer!! This was the best guacamole ever. It was so chunky and not pureed. It also had white beans and corn pieces in it- GENIUS! I will be making this at home.

IMG_9501 IMG_9502

I got the Grilled Vegetable Salad. I think the words ‘best salad I’ve ever tasted’ came out of my mouth.

IMG_9506

I could only finish half of this salad it was so big! It had avocado, grilled asparagus, artichoke, peppers, corn, sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, etc…on a bed of romaine lettuce. It was so good it didn’t even need a dressing.

IMG_9508

Eric got the BBQ chicken pizza and he loooooooved it. He has been on such a pizza kick! lol. Pizza places are everywhere here.

IMG_9507

A GREAT day of delicious eats!

IMG_2888

PS- The pool changes colours…

IMG_2881

Tomorrow afternoon we are Orlando bound to Caitlin’s! We have a very fun meet-up planned. I’m excited.

Must. get. sleep.

Night! :)

Carbzilla March 25, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I’m sooooooooooo glad you got a photo of my yacht! That’s a great shot. :)

That bird is a Cormorant – he’s drying his wings. Isn’t that funny?

I love CPK but then they put the calories on the menu and things got really scary. Last time we were there, I had that same grilled salad with no dressing. Pretty much anything on their menu is fantastic.

I love the “doesn’t hurt to ask approach!” You’re on vacation! You deserve it!

Sarah March 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

The above commenter was too quick and beat me to it. She’s right. Here’s an explanation: http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/Spread-Wing_Postures.html

I love how much avocado you ate today. I am jealous because they aren’t in season in Oz right now and cost $4 each!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 25, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Your vacation just gets better and better!! What a hotel. My fam never asks to get upgraded but I am definitely trying that out next time.

Best wrap AND best salad in one day!? Crazy :)

Ameena March 25, 2010 at 11:37 pm

CPK is one of my most favorite restaurants! I could eat there every day and I think I have in the past. If you go back definitely check out the BBQ Chicken Salad (I get avocado instead of chicken). It is my favorite!

Krystina March 25, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I hate to admit that I’ve never tried an avocado. THis post makes me want to go out and buy one!

Bridget March 26, 2010 at 12:09 am

You look so radiant Angela! And all that fabulous food……YUM!

I’m slightly *cough* VERY jealous of your trip :)

Marina March 26, 2010 at 12:11 am

I’m glad you’re having a wonderful time on your vacation.
That hotel really looks nice!

Tracie @hollafoodzone March 26, 2010 at 12:28 am

Looks like you’re staying at a great place! I love California Pizza Kitchen! As a side note, I made some chewy crackers you posted a couple of months ago – delish!

Diana March 26, 2010 at 12:42 am

you need to hit up a publix while you’re in FL and pick up strawberries! in season and on sale right now :D you’ll be in heaven ;)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 26, 2010 at 12:44 am

All I can say is WOW!!!! GOtta love that hotel gym too – very impressive!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 26, 2010 at 12:57 am

you guys are having the best trip! i’m really glad you got that salad…i’m always scared to get salads at restaurants because you never know how they’ll taste. now i know i can get the best one ever at CPK ;)

Amanda March 26, 2010 at 12:57 am

That hotel looks awesome! I really want to take a vacation now …. hmmm. Have fun! You deserve tons of fun!!!

Lin March 26, 2010 at 1:08 am

The hotel looks fabulous! What a nice gym! The food also looks great!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 26, 2010 at 3:12 am

What a gorgeous hotel! Looks like you’re still having an awesome vacation. :D

Naomi (onefitfoodie) March 26, 2010 at 5:13 am

I love all all of the fresh food you have been eating! I am such a sucker for wraps! they are by FAR one of my faovirte things to eat because i love stuffing them with different ingredients. I eat them so much my Boyf says I will turn into one soon :)

CPK–havent been in SO long! and that salad looks phenom…I must go back soon to try that!

beautiful pics!!

caitlin March 26, 2010 at 5:23 am

haha, you said “fibre”

i’m so excited to hang out with you!

Katie March 26, 2010 at 5:23 am

Awwwwwwwwwwwww what great pics!!! Thank you for sharing!! The hotel you are staying at is beautiful and that pool is so pretty too!!!! I hope you guys have a wonderful day! Maybe lay by the pool today?!! Have a good one and yay for staying at Caitlin’s!!! So awesome!! She seems like such a sweetheart and I know you and your hubby will have a blast with her and her hubby!!!! xoxo

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 26, 2010 at 5:41 am

Love CPK!! ALl of your food looks so delicious. And the beach shots are making me insanely jealous.

Angela March 26, 2010 at 6:25 am

Looks like you guys are having an amazing trip so far!! I love CPK…their salads are to die for! Funny story….I had a nice little habit of ordering the thai chicken salad after my morning Sunday yoga class and then was reading “Eat this, Not that” and that salad apparantly has the calorie equivalent of 3 Big Macs…too funny!

[email protected] March 26, 2010 at 6:59 am

What another great day! I am so glad you are having such a great vacation!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 26, 2010 at 7:12 am

What a beautiful trip you guys are having! I am jealous for sure =D And those eats… delicious as well!!

xo
K

Kris March 26, 2010 at 7:23 am

I’m a new reader and have been enjoying your blog and your FL trip. I’m in Sarasota area and most of the year (not Aug./Sept.) feel so fortunate to live here. The fresh fruit and veggies are amazing, espec. from farmer’s markets. I love the idea of guac made chunky with beans and corn. Have a great time in South FL! Off to my a.m. bike ride :)

marianne March 26, 2010 at 7:37 am

I don’t know if you are going by disney world area.. but this is a good link for eating vegan there :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope March 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

It is funny that you guys come to Florida and Eric eats pizza because Fl has probably some of the worst pizza in the country.

Caitlin March 26, 2010 at 7:47 am

The Moroccan chicken Salad is THE BEST salad at CPK! I am sure you could substitute the chicken for something else!

Sarah March 26, 2010 at 7:47 am

Your trip looks so amazing! You and Eric look like you are having so much fun!!! I love love love the BBQ chicken pizza from CPK, but I am definitely trying that salad next time!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 26, 2010 at 7:51 am

You are GLOWING in these pics! Looks like such a fun trip– have fun meeting up with Caitlin!

Sara March 26, 2010 at 8:06 am

It is SOOO great to see you enjoying Florida! I am from NY but am in Florida A LOT! It is a wonderful place and reading your adventures makes me appreciate it even more! Have fun in Orlando! : )

Kelly March 26, 2010 at 8:06 am

CPK is da bomb! And I love that they offer whole wheat crust now!

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 26, 2010 at 8:22 am

Wow what a snazzy hotel!! Love that the pool changes colors. So fun :)
Sounds like you guys had quite the day.
That bird is weird looking, but still so cute! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels March 26, 2010 at 8:25 am

you are making me sign at all your pics because now I feel like taking a trip to Florida!

Noelle March 26, 2010 at 8:30 am

WOW! Fantastic pictures. I feel like I am there for sure. Looks like perfect weather. It is back to being in the 20s here in MI so it sounds like yu have it nice. Yummy eats and great pictures of the wildlife and turtle nest. Super cool!

::christine:: March 26, 2010 at 8:31 am

I can’t believe I’m finally gonna be a part of a blog meet up *squeeee*

I can NOT wait for tonight’s Orlando meet up. I feel all silly about seeing Angela & Erick in person… if only she coulda stowed Sketchie away in her purse so I could meet him too. :D

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 26, 2010 at 8:48 am

It’s not even 10 a.m. and you’re already making me hungry for lunch. Too bad what I have packed isn’t even close to as delicious-looking as your food!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 26, 2010 at 8:55 am

I have to say that salad and guac looks amazing! Glad you guys are having such a blast ;-)

Midgetkeeper March 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

That salad looks delicious!

MaryB March 26, 2010 at 9:03 am

On the first picture of your ‘walk along the beach’ photos, WHAT is that crazy building in the background, on the right? It looks like it’s right in the water! Is it a hotel?
You look like you belong in Florida!

Keri March 26, 2010 at 9:05 am

I used to work at CPK. A lot of their menu items are high calorie, but anything can be customized really easily, which results in some really healthy choices! For example, the BBQ chicken salad (my personal favorite)… order with no cheese, no dressing, and extra BBQ sauce. Voila… super healthy and delicious salad! Ive never had anything there that wasn’t really yummy (and I’ve had everything :)

Kacy March 26, 2010 at 9:08 am

Looks like an amazing day! I love Ft. Lauderdale. Your room looks gorgeous and that restaurant sounds so fab.

[email protected] March 26, 2010 at 9:16 am

Gorgeous Day! I have been to that hotel many years ago, hanging out by the pool and bar, and to the restaurant on top, but never in the rooms. Did you know that the restaurant on top revolves (I guess the restaurant on top of the CN tower does that too, doesn’t it…I had forgotten about that!).

Glad to have met you and all of those other beautiful ladies!

Have a great rest of your trip and I hope we can see you up in TO sometime.

ari March 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

i love that i know exactly where all those places are and grew up in them :).
also, THE TOP OF PIER 66 SPINS. like, literally rotates. it’s freaking awesome. at least it used to, they might have changed it, but you should ask! i had my prom there :)

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness March 26, 2010 at 9:49 am

That hotel is really nice! My husband and I actually looked at it to have our wedding there. The hotel is nice, and the rooms are nice, but we thought the top floor (which is where they hold their weddings, and it actually spins) was a little cheesy. It would be fine for a company dinner party or something, but we wanted more elegance for our wedding.
The outdoor area is very pretty and resort-y.
I’m so glad you are enjoying your time in South Florida! (Even though I couldn’t make it to the blogger meetup…still bummed about that one!)

Grace aka Triathlonbabe March 26, 2010 at 9:50 am

What a phenomenal (positive word of the week) vacation! I wonder if we have any CPK’s here in Texas, my DH is a huge pizza lover as well. I love the hotel pool with the colorful changes. Thanks for the great tips! Continue on with a fantastic vaca!

Grace

Christine (The Raw Project) March 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

More awesome pics that totally remind me of my years in Florida. Sea turtles are awesome to see at night on the beach, for such a huge turtle – they’re fast in digging a nest and laying eggs.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 26, 2010 at 10:18 am

Such a pretty view from your hotel!! Wow!
And your food looks delicious as well!!! YUM!

Brynne March 26, 2010 at 10:36 am

I ate at Mango’s for dinner on my last night of spring break two weeks ago! It seems like you and Eric enjoyed Fort Lauderdale as much as my girlfriends and I did – so much fun!

Mary March 26, 2010 at 10:56 am

Those sea turtle nests are prob the most adorable tings I’ve ever seen !!! Looks like you guys are having a ball :)

Lisa March 26, 2010 at 10:58 am

Nice pictures! I love when I go on vacation and the hotel has a gym. The last few times I went to Vegas I used the gym in the casino and felt a lot healthier (especially since I was partaking in a lot of food and drink!). The last time I went to Vegas I didn’t use the gym and went for a run outside instead. It was a nice experience!

Aspiring Minimalist March 26, 2010 at 11:50 am

Looks like a great trip! Love the food pictures! :)

Julie March 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Looks like you are having an awesome time!! You are glowing!! Beautiful gym!! And the sea turtle nest reminds me of the book “The Last Song” you should read it! It’s a great book and the movie comes out march 31st!! I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation! :D

Eliana >^..^ March 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm

That is a double crested cormorant drying its wings. :O) Gotta love bird-watching. :O)

The salad looks delicious, you are making me hungry.

I wish I could go to the meet up in Orlando. :O( I want to hang out again and meet Caitlyn.

Have fun.

Mo March 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I thought that I did not like FL anymore (lived there, loved it, got tired of the heat, moved to CA, etc, etc). But your pics are making me want to go back to the Sunshine State!

Awesome looking salad at CPK. There is one minutes away and I never go, but I will now. Grilled veggies on a salad = a combo of my two favorite foods!

You are both glowing – I am having fun watching you have a great vacation! Who knew that was possible?!?

Jil March 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

CPK’s bbq chicken pizza is probably one of my faves. I also love that they do small plates!

Jamie @ Tearaveler March 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Chunky guacamole is one of those better things in life =) hah. Love it! Your trip looks like so much fun and makes me want to visit FL!

BostonRunner March 26, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE CPK!!

Michelle March 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Ohh wow thank you for sharin pictures of the WHOLE journey!! It puts me in Florida on vacation right there with you!!! I totally saw the Daily Squeeze on Food Network’s Throwdown with Bobby Flay. :)

Melissa March 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

What wonderful eats! That salad is unbelievable for a restaurant. Looks like a wonderful trip!

Holly March 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

So glad you are enjoying yourselves in Ft Laud (I am a local who has pretty much grown up here and have been here for 25 years!) I’ve been to many functions at Pier 66 and love it there! Today’s weather however is not the best though, but at least yesterday was beautiful and it looks as if you guys took full advantage of it! Pizza Fusion is in a crazy little spot, kinda hidden. But you were close, it’s about a mile south of CPK on that same road. Hidden in a shopping plaza on the corner of US1 & Sunrise. Safe travels!

steph-exercise physiologist and artist! March 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I just read Caitlin’s blog and she said you two were heading to Orlando. It is BEAUTIFUL out right now!! You are going to enjoy your time here and I am sure you will have a great time with Caitlin.
Funny I am heading down to Miami tomorrow. Your pics made me smile b/c the beach is so beautiful down there :) CANT WAIT!!

Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) March 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I LOVE Mangoes!! I love seeing places around my hometown. So fun. I know that hotel by heart, it’s right across the street from where I used to get my haircut! ;) Looking forward to meeting/seeing you tonight!

Laura March 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I think the bird may be an anhinga rather than a cormorant. Though the birds are very similar, and dry their feathers for the same reasons (no oil to waterproof the feathers), anhingas have straight bills rather than hooked bills–that bird’s bill looks straight.

I’m loving your pictures. I’m from Sarasota and miss it sometimes!

Melissa S. March 26, 2010 at 4:52 pm

what fun you’re having!!!! i wish i could have met you in miami and in orlando this weekend!

and that bird? it’s an anhinga, and it’s sunning, or trying to warm up it’s body! :) I’m a bird nerd, it’s what i do for a living!

Melissa March 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm

My husband and I always order half a grilled vegetable salad and the wild mushroom pizza and split them. CPK’s wild mushroom pizza is the closest I have found to a truffle pizza I ate in Camerino, Italy, and believe me, I have been looking.

We had your green goddess pizza for dinner tonight.

Have a great vacation, and tell Caitlin I said hello! (I made her Santa Fe casserole, too).

Allison @ Food For Healing March 26, 2010 at 5:33 pm

looks like you are having great success and a lot of fun on your vacation!

chandra h March 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I love this post!! so glad you are having such a great vacation – I know RIGHT where you are, my boyfriend and I were in Ft. Lauderdale in January, we stayed in a condo right behind the Bahia Mar. i love walking that strip/the beach!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I’m so glad you are finding good healthy and amazing food on your trip. It’s important, you should be able to eat healthy food that’s still amazing.

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 26, 2010 at 7:25 pm

It’s wonderful that you are finding amazing vegan food even while traveling.

And I love salads that don’t need dressing. I have a passion to find them.

Jolene March 26, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Wow – that looks like an amazing place to stay!!!!!!!!!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear March 27, 2010 at 2:04 am

Looks like you’re having a lot of fun! those foods you ate looked delicious :)