A Day Of Fabulous Eats

Hello!

We checked into our new hotwire hotel in Fort Lauderdale at noon. We got a room at the Hyatt Pier 66…

IMG_9431IMG_9511

IMG_9453

The theme of our trip has been ‘you don’t know until you ask’- actually it is my theme for my life most of the time. I asked if we could be upgraded into a better room on a higher floor and lo and behold we could!

Our view from the balcony of the marina, intercostal, and cityline.

IMG_9418

IMG_9419

IMG_9420

This hotel has a very resort like feel to it! Very nice pools.

IMG_9417

The room is spacious, clean, and bright.

IMG_9424 IMG_9427

I also asked if we could have a late check-out tomorrow and lo and behold they said yes! I love when hotels are accommodating.

Bed is very comfy.

IMG_2870

Oh and it has a nice gym too! Will be sweating in there tomorrow.

IMG_9479

So we were in and out and on our way to EAT!!

IMG_9435

The Daily Squeeze is a tiny hole in the wall cafe with outdoor seating on the patio. You get to choose from a wrap, sandwich, rice bowl, or salad, and then you customize it from a huge array of toppings! There were sooooo many awesome toppings!

My high fibre wrap had tons of hummus as the base, avocado, lettuce, tomato, cukes, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, black pepper, sprouts, onions, and MORE!

IMG_9439

It was pretty much the best wrap I’ve ever had. I was so hungry too.

IMG_9441

The wrap also comes with either soup, a smoothie, or pop and chips. Naturally I got the smoothie! They are pre-made and consist of strawberries, banana, and apple juice. It was AWESOME and perfect on this hot day.

IMG_9437

We went down to the Marina to catch the water taxi and we saw this bird flapping his wings. We thought he was drying off or something, but when we got back later that day (hours later!) he was in the same position flapping his wings! What was he doing?

IMG_9457

We headed out on the water taxi and saw a ton of million dollar homes and yachts.

IMG_9478

IMG_2832 IMG_2848

We made a pit stop at 4pm and had some fuel…at a restaurant called Mangos on Las Olas Blvd.

Eric got a Caesar salad and fries:

IMG_9466 IMG_9467

I had a fruit bowl (it was HUGE!). WOW was this just amazing. Exactly what I was craving. I feel like I haven’t had much fruit since being on vacation. I find most restaurants don’t serve it!

IMG_9470

I also had a big salad but I forgot to take a picture.

Waiting for the water taxi took forever. We waited over 40 minutes to catch it back to the hotel! But we were in good company ;)

IMG_9474

After that we headed to the beach and walked all along it.

IMG_9482

IMG_9484IMG_9483

Sea turtle nest!!!!

IMG_9485

IMG_9490

We had a very late dinner at California Pizza Kitchen! We actually were on our way to Pizza Fusion but we got SO LOST! We finally got directions from a cop and still could not find this place! We spotted the CPK and said sure, why not…we were so starving by this point (it was 9:30pm)

IMG_9499

It was my first time eating here and I was so excited. I was expecting a small cafe type place but this place was really nice inside (and outside).

Eric and I have been rocking the water since our crazy night out…lol.

IMG_9500

Appetizer!! This was the best guacamole ever. It was so chunky and not pureed. It also had white beans and corn pieces in it- GENIUS! I will be making this at home.

IMG_9501 IMG_9502

I got the Grilled Vegetable Salad. I think the words ‘best salad I’ve ever tasted’ came out of my mouth.

IMG_9506

I could only finish half of this salad it was so big! It had avocado, grilled asparagus, artichoke, peppers, corn, sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, etc…on a bed of romaine lettuce. It was so good it didn’t even need a dressing.

IMG_9508

Eric got the BBQ chicken pizza and he loooooooved it. He has been on such a pizza kick! lol. Pizza places are everywhere here.

IMG_9507

A GREAT day of delicious eats!

IMG_2888

PS- The pool changes colours…

IMG_2881

Tomorrow afternoon we are Orlando bound to Caitlin’s! We have a very fun meet-up planned. I’m excited.

Must. get. sleep.

Night! :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear March 27, 2010

Looks like you’re having a lot of fun! those foods you ate looked delicious :)

Jolene March 26, 2010

Wow – that looks like an amazing place to stay!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 26, 2010

It’s wonderful that you are finding amazing vegan food even while traveling.

And I love salads that don’t need dressing. I have a passion to find them.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 26, 2010

I’m so glad you are finding good healthy and amazing food on your trip. It’s important, you should be able to eat healthy food that’s still amazing.

chandra h March 26, 2010

I love this post!! so glad you are having such a great vacation – I know RIGHT where you are, my boyfriend and I were in Ft. Lauderdale in January, we stayed in a condo right behind the Bahia Mar. i love walking that strip/the beach!

Allison @ Food For Healing March 26, 2010

looks like you are having great success and a lot of fun on your vacation!

Melissa March 26, 2010

My husband and I always order half a grilled vegetable salad and the wild mushroom pizza and split them. CPK’s wild mushroom pizza is the closest I have found to a truffle pizza I ate in Camerino, Italy, and believe me, I have been looking.

We had your green goddess pizza for dinner tonight.

Have a great vacation, and tell Caitlin I said hello! (I made her Santa Fe casserole, too).

Melissa S. March 26, 2010

what fun you’re having!!!! i wish i could have met you in miami and in orlando this weekend!

and that bird? it’s an anhinga, and it’s sunning, or trying to warm up it’s body! :) I’m a bird nerd, it’s what i do for a living!

Laura March 26, 2010

I think the bird may be an anhinga rather than a cormorant. Though the birds are very similar, and dry their feathers for the same reasons (no oil to waterproof the feathers), anhingas have straight bills rather than hooked bills–that bird’s bill looks straight.

I’m loving your pictures. I’m from Sarasota and miss it sometimes!

Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) March 26, 2010

I LOVE Mangoes!! I love seeing places around my hometown. So fun. I know that hotel by heart, it’s right across the street from where I used to get my haircut! ;) Looking forward to meeting/seeing you tonight!

steph-exercise physiologist and artist! March 26, 2010

I just read Caitlin’s blog and she said you two were heading to Orlando. It is BEAUTIFUL out right now!! You are going to enjoy your time here and I am sure you will have a great time with Caitlin.
Funny I am heading down to Miami tomorrow. Your pics made me smile b/c the beach is so beautiful down there :) CANT WAIT!!

Holly March 26, 2010

So glad you are enjoying yourselves in Ft Laud (I am a local who has pretty much grown up here and have been here for 25 years!) I’ve been to many functions at Pier 66 and love it there! Today’s weather however is not the best though, but at least yesterday was beautiful and it looks as if you guys took full advantage of it! Pizza Fusion is in a crazy little spot, kinda hidden. But you were close, it’s about a mile south of CPK on that same road. Hidden in a shopping plaza on the corner of US1 & Sunrise. Safe travels!

Melissa March 26, 2010

What wonderful eats! That salad is unbelievable for a restaurant. Looks like a wonderful trip!

Michelle March 26, 2010

Ohh wow thank you for sharin pictures of the WHOLE journey!! It puts me in Florida on vacation right there with you!!! I totally saw the Daily Squeeze on Food Network’s Throwdown with Bobby Flay. :)

BostonRunner March 26, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE CPK!!

Jamie @ Tearaveler March 26, 2010

Chunky guacamole is one of those better things in life =) hah. Love it! Your trip looks like so much fun and makes me want to visit FL!

Jil March 26, 2010

CPK’s bbq chicken pizza is probably one of my faves. I also love that they do small plates!

Mo March 26, 2010

I thought that I did not like FL anymore (lived there, loved it, got tired of the heat, moved to CA, etc, etc). But your pics are making me want to go back to the Sunshine State!

Awesome looking salad at CPK. There is one minutes away and I never go, but I will now. Grilled veggies on a salad = a combo of my two favorite foods!

You are both glowing – I am having fun watching you have a great vacation! Who knew that was possible?!?

Eliana >^..^ March 26, 2010

That is a double crested cormorant drying its wings. :O) Gotta love bird-watching. :O)

The salad looks delicious, you are making me hungry.

I wish I could go to the meet up in Orlando. :O( I want to hang out again and meet Caitlyn.

Have fun.

Julie March 26, 2010

Looks like you are having an awesome time!! You are glowing!! Beautiful gym!! And the sea turtle nest reminds me of the book “The Last Song” you should read it! It’s a great book and the movie comes out march 31st!! I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation! :D

Aspiring Minimalist March 26, 2010

Looks like a great trip! Love the food pictures! :)

Lisa March 26, 2010

Nice pictures! I love when I go on vacation and the hotel has a gym. The last few times I went to Vegas I used the gym in the casino and felt a lot healthier (especially since I was partaking in a lot of food and drink!). The last time I went to Vegas I didn’t use the gym and went for a run outside instead. It was a nice experience!

Mary March 26, 2010

Those sea turtle nests are prob the most adorable tings I’ve ever seen !!! Looks like you guys are having a ball :)

Brynne March 26, 2010

I ate at Mango’s for dinner on my last night of spring break two weeks ago! It seems like you and Eric enjoyed Fort Lauderdale as much as my girlfriends and I did – so much fun!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 26, 2010

Such a pretty view from your hotel!! Wow!
And your food looks delicious as well!!! YUM!

Christine (The Raw Project) March 26, 2010

More awesome pics that totally remind me of my years in Florida. Sea turtles are awesome to see at night on the beach, for such a huge turtle – they’re fast in digging a nest and laying eggs.

Grace aka Triathlonbabe March 26, 2010

What a phenomenal (positive word of the week) vacation! I wonder if we have any CPK’s here in Texas, my DH is a huge pizza lover as well. I love the hotel pool with the colorful changes. Thanks for the great tips! Continue on with a fantastic vaca!

Grace

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness March 26, 2010

That hotel is really nice! My husband and I actually looked at it to have our wedding there. The hotel is nice, and the rooms are nice, but we thought the top floor (which is where they hold their weddings, and it actually spins) was a little cheesy. It would be fine for a company dinner party or something, but we wanted more elegance for our wedding.
The outdoor area is very pretty and resort-y.
I’m so glad you are enjoying your time in South Florida! (Even though I couldn’t make it to the blogger meetup…still bummed about that one!)

ari March 26, 2010

i love that i know exactly where all those places are and grew up in them :).
also, THE TOP OF PIER 66 SPINS. like, literally rotates. it’s freaking awesome. at least it used to, they might have changed it, but you should ask! i had my prom there :)