Fill Up My Tank

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 20, 2010

Just like the plane needs to fuel up before a long journey, so do I. :mrgreen:

IMG_8857

This was leftover Speed It Up Spinach and Chickpea dish from the other day.

With Ezekiel bread (Sesame seed) with tons of hummus, tomato paste, spinach, salsa, and Italian seasoning.

IMG_8858

Seeds on bread are great, aren’t they?

IMG_8864

Hummus, how I love thee.

IMG_8859

A delicious grapefruit.

I always try to fill up on water-heavy foods before going on a plane. It keeps me from getting dehydrated.

IMG_8861

Fueled up in 3…2…1…

IMG_8856

Did I tell you about my new obsession? This is hands down the best nut butter I have EVER tasted. Artisana Raw Organic Cashew Butter.  The company sent me some samples to try and this is the best product they make in my opinion! It tastes better than frosting if you can imagine it. It is an expensive product, but I would buy this on occasion as a splurge. It’s dangerous!!

I had two spoonfuls for dessert. :)

IMG_8866

I am armed with portable healthy snacks for the rest of the day as I hate relying on airport food. I am bringing us 2 apples, 2 Glo Bars, and 2 packages of crackers to share on the flight.

Flying in this day and age sort of scares me. :( But I am trying to think happy thoughts!

Angela_Signature

Christine (The Raw Project) March 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

Great eats! Before our last flight, I had a big smoothie and packed fresh veggies sticks and grapes for snacks on the plane, nice feeling energized and not bloated after a long flight for a change :-) Have a safe trip!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now March 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

You’ll be fine! I hope you have a wonderful wonderful trip, as I know you will!!!!!

Sportsgirl March 20, 2010 at 11:35 am

Have a great trip!

Jenny March 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love seeded bread- it really adds something extra!

Kelly March 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Looks like a perfect pre-airplane meal. I am the same way with airplane food, I always bring a bag of snacks!

Ameena March 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Have a safe trip Angela…no need to be scared of flying! I am scared of using the plane bathrooms but otherwise, no need to worry! :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 20, 2010 at 12:04 pm

It’s such a great idea and a must to pack healthy snacks when traveling. Especially when flying since plans can change, and it’s hard to find healthy food in airports.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Have a safe trip! That cashew butter looks to die for!

Katherine March 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That lunch looks fabulous! I am definitely going to try your chickpea dish soon! Safe travels.

Jackie March 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

wish i saw this before my trip down to new orleans (from new england)….all day travel with little in the way of proper nutrition or hydration. The fact that I couldn’t even bring a full water bottle in made the dehydration worse. it was bad…

Jenn March 20, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Looks like a great meal. I am jealous of the choices, but eating before flying is not such a hot idea for me – nerves get me every time. :(
Enjoy your flight and yummy treats!

Amy @ Running in Pink March 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I love how much you plan ahead, something that i am learning to do in my life!

Don’t worry about flying, i am a Cabin Crew Safety Manager in the UK and still fly as cabin crew as and when needed. I promise that you are in safe hands and you will have a lovely flight. Hope you have a fantastic vacation x

Sweet Cheeks March 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Yummy lunch! I always bring my own food when traveling…definitely much better than you could get in an airport! Have a great trip!

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I always bring my own food to the airport. Even with the “healthy” options at the airport I don’t trust it.

Caroline (Ribbons, Roads, and Raspberries) March 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I always eat the crusts first because they’re so hearty and seedy like your bread! I cringe when people cut the bread crusts off.

Ava March 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever commented before but I’ve been reading for some time now! I was wondering: is that the only cashew butter you’ve tried? Or have you ever had the Maranatha (roasted) Cashew butter? If so, how does the raw Artisana butter compare? Cashew butter is my favorite nut butter, so I’d love to know if I should be trying another brand (though Maranatha is cheaper). Good luck on your trip!

– Ava

Jolene March 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I hope you have a good flight!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I’m a chick pea freak as well…..I adore hummus and chick peas. Whenever I get a chance to eat them I take it!

kate March 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm

have a great flight! hydrate, hydrate!

Amy March 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The weathers beautiful here in FL. Jacksonville, where I’m at is calling for rain tomorrow. Welcome to florida Angela and Eric!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm

your trip is going to be fine…i can’t wait to see y’all in sunny gorgeous florida! stay hydrated and you guys are going to have a great time :)

Kelly (Local Foodie's Fight) March 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

What a nutritious well-rounded meal! and cashew butter is one of my recent loves too! dont know why it isn’t more popular!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 20, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Yummy eats indeed. Yum! :-D

Kimberly @ SinfullyThin.blogspot.com March 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm

That sandwich looks delicious!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 20, 2010 at 5:06 pm

You’ll be perfectly safe girl, flying is the best way to travel! :)

I LOVE cashew butter..YUM!

Jane March 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Drink lots of water…..have a great time!!!!

Candice March 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

You inspired me to have chickpeas for lunch, and they were so good!!

And I hope you have a great flight – I ALWAYS take plane food. I can’t handle relying on airport or flight food.

Mae March 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Hey Angela! I just wanted to let you know my mother is doing motivational presentations this week and I gave her the link to your “stop multi-tasking post” as well as many others. They’re included in the resource list for hundreds of people! I love your blog and your content. :-)
Have a SAFE flight.

christina cadden March 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

That meal looks delicious!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I love packing travel snacks, though the last time I traveled by air I was ill-prepared. I flew so early that I didn’t have a chance to grab food at the airport. I arrived at my destination hungry!

EaterNotARunner March 20, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Have a great trip! I actually love flying…I know, it’s weird ;-)

[email protected] March 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I am not a happy flyer either but you will be fine! Promise;)

Ashley March 21, 2010 at 2:48 am

That looks different, but good!

Marina March 21, 2010 at 6:29 am

Looks like a perfect meal!
I hope you have a safe nice flight. I never traveled by plane, but soon, I will, and all by myself. Scary

Cassandra March 21, 2010 at 6:42 am

Your food looks tasty. I just bought that brand for Coconut Butter and it is so good! cheaper than I thought it was going to be, I keep hearing good things about Cashew butter, so I guess that is going to be my next food adventure.
Safe Traveling! good vibes your way :) I have a fear of heights and planes but I know you’ll be ok <3 xo

Kristie March 21, 2010 at 7:18 am

Mmm thanks for the heads up about the cashew butter! I just bought the artisana coconut butter for the first time but I think cashew will have to be next on my list.

Hope the trip is great!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow March 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

Yummo cashew butter!

I have my eats on planes down to a T now! There is always 2 fruit options (well, 3 if the fiance is with me), veggie sticks, peanut butter or hummus for some extra protein plus some bread or crackers.

If we’re looking at a longer than 5 hour trip I also bring some of my Shakeology powder to make a mix n shake smoothie on the plane with water as well.

It is always worth the extra effort of bringing snacks!

liane March 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

The only thing that scares me on flights is who I end up being seated near. On one flight, the man in front of me got so irate over something that he literally took his tray of food and upended it over our section of the cabin!
My life is not a movie, I’m never seated next to the cute, funny, single guy… nope, I get the slightly crazed, “let’s harass the flight attendants” people. Non movie world sucks!

But you have Eric, so you should be good to go :)

zestycook March 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hope you have a great trip!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

Filling up on water based foods is a good idea! Dehydration is the worst.

Eliana >^..^ March 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

How exciting! That food looks delicious, all the food that you make always sounds so delicious and easy to prepare.