St. Patty’s Day Savory Muffins

Green-tings! :)

IMG_2421

Well, the battle with the time change lives on! Guess who tossed and turned last night again!? My body is SO sensitive to tiny changes in my sleep schedule. Oye.

Can I just say how much I enjoyed reading your comments in last night’s post on having fun with your health?? I got teary eyed reading some of the comments. I just love reading about how other women have made positive changes in their lives. Perks me right up, sleep or no sleep! :mrgreen:

Today was a gorgeous day outside. I only wished I would have had time to get some exercise outside today, but I was tied to the bakery all day and didn’t have a chance to workout. This week is organized chaos as I tie up loose ends before we leave for vacation. So it was my second rest day in a row…tomorrow I will be raring to go!!!! :)

In other news, the SNOW IS GONE!!!

IMG_2379

In honour of St. Patty’s Day tomorrow, I decided to make something fun. Quick and fun and green- My specialty. ;)

My mother in law was born in Ireland (and has 10 brothers!!!) so I wanted to make something festive that she could try while she is here (the in laws are staying at our house while we are away!).

Whenever she tells me stories about growing up in Ireland, breakfast is always a prominent theme. Her dad ran a bed and breakfast and my MIL can whip up a MEAN breakfast I tell you.

In honour of fun breakfast things, the following recipe was born! Mind you, the only thing Irish about it is the colour. ;)

St. Patty’s Day Savory Zucchini Muffins

IMG_2419

Adapted from Vegalicious.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour (or your choice of flour)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax + 3 T water) OR 1 egg
  • 1 cup zucchini, grated
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil (or oil of your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon wheatgrass powder (optional)
  • Nuts to garnish (I used cashew nuts)

Directions: Mix all wet ingredients (including grated zucchini) together in a small bowl. In a medium sized bowl mix dry ingredients together. Add wet to dry and mix well. Scoop into greased muffin tin. Cook for 22 minutes for mini muffins (larger muffins will take longer). Makes 21-23 mini muffins or about 11-12 regular muffins.

PS- St Patty’s Day sticks are from Michael’s craft store.

YUM!!!!!!

IMG_2438

This was my first time making savory muffins and they were DELICIOUS!

With hummus, of course:

IMG_2434

and some Earth Balance…GAH!! So good. Once you pop, you can’t stop!

IMG_2437

These are an excellent breakfast muffin or a muffin to pack in your lunch for a healthy snack! The key is to enjoy them with your favourite spread- hummus, avocado, butter, cheese, nut butter would all work wonderfully!

I added in some Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder at the last minute to half of them. I could barely notice it and I couldn’t notice the wheatgrass taste at all when I had something spread on it.

A very sneaky way to get some lovely GREEN in!

IMG_2393

The nuts on top were key- they added such a nice crunch and texture!

IMG_2403

Do you have Irish in you? Do you do anything fun on St Patty’s Day like drink green beer or make green food?

Have you ever been to Ireland?

I have some Irish in me on my both sides of the family. Eric and I also make green beer on St Patty’s Day too- it’s fun! I have never been to Ireland but Eric has been a handful of times to visit his family. Eric wants to take me in 2010 or 2011! I can’t wait. :)

Updates:

See you Wednesday afternoon/evening for my next health tip!

Angela_Signature

When Irish eyes are smiling,
‘Tis like a morn in spring.
With a lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
~Author Unknown

1 Daniel March 16, 2010

Wow, I never would have thought to make a muffin savory. Then again that’s kind of what corn muffins are… sometimes, haha. I’m going to have to give these a try, they look delicious!

And I’m loving the lack of snow too!

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 16, 2010

Amazing Grass in muffins!!! Best green food coloring ever! I just said ‘Mmmmmm’ out loud and my roommate laughed at me. I’ve never been to Ireland! I wanted to while studying in London but didn’t get a chance.

3 Robyn @ Bliss in Print March 16, 2010

These muffins look super TASTY !! Thank you so much for the recipe. I will have to try them out to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Gotta love Zucchini in baked goods!! Who woulda thought it would taste so good ?! Cheers!

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 16, 2010

Those muffins sound great. Too many good recipes!!

5 Jacquie March 16, 2010

I have been to Ireland and it was fabulous. Very beautiful with the castle and all the green farms… and even though I did Irish STep dancing competitively growing up, I have absolutely NO irish blood in me. I’m all French, Swiss, German and English- go figure!

6 Jenny March 16, 2010

You are so creative! Who thinks to bake muffins like that?

I foresee some green beer (and Caitlin speaking at UF) in my St. Patrick’s Day future:)

7 Elle @ Acquired Tastes March 16, 2010

I’ve never been to Ireland or even anywhere in Europe for that matter but I would love to go and live there for a while! My boyfriend said Ireland was his favorite country in all of Europe that he visited.

Those muffins look so delicious! :)

8 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 16, 2010

I bet they are amazing with hummus! I am super Irish (so is Mr How Sweet) but we have never been to Ireland. We’d love to go!

9 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 16, 2010

as savory oats’ #1 advocate–i am SO behind the savory muffin! i want to top that with hummus and bite in!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2010

hahaha @ ‘savoury oats #1 advocate’ ;)

11 Julie @SavvyEats March 16, 2010

I was wary about savory oatmeal, and ended up loving it!

I predict the same thing happening with these muffins…

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2010

dont think of them as muffins…but like a biscuit or something! Its all the way you frame it. ;)

13 Estela @ Weekly Bite March 16, 2010

My hubby and his entire family are Irish! They celebrate is very big ways!

The muffins look great! I love savory muffins!

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 16, 2010

So cool Angela!! I’ve never tried savory muffins before but those sound great!!!!

Ah Ireland… my heart is there. I visited about gosh… 5 years ago now and it changed my life. Something about that country… of course it’s gorgeous, absolutely breath-taking. And the people are so warm and friendly. I can’t even put the country into words… it’s just one of those places that you HAVE to go!
I’m going back to visit in June so this St. Patrick’s Day has a new meaning for me. I cannot WAIT. I am also getting a tattoo while there (my 1st) because I’ve always wanted one, but could never think of anything that i’d want on my body for the rest of my life. But something that reminds me of Ireland would actually mean something you know?

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2010

Thats what I have heard about Ireland too. All of Eric’s family are so nice and hilariously funny. I cant wait to go some day.

16 lindsay March 16, 2010

Youre a genius Angela. I can’t wait to make these, especially with AMAZING grass! Have a safe trip.

17 Jolene March 16, 2010

I am so jealous that your snow is all gone there!!!

We still have MOUNDS of it.

I have a wee bit of Irish in me :-) I plan on drinking a green beer tomorrow and making something green too.

18 EaterNotARunner March 16, 2010

I’m not Irish at all but I have been to Ireland and it was beautiful!

19 Heidi March 16, 2010

Awww, those breakfast muffins are super adorable! I love them!!!! That’s such a great idea!

Glad the snow finally melted for you, spring has sprung!!! I will one day, make it to Ireland!! For sure!

20 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place March 16, 2010

I’ve never made savory muffins before..I think I’m scared because to me, muffins should be SWEET, not savory! I’ll have to give them a whirl sometime.
I’m so glad the snow is finally gone here too! yay!

21 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind March 16, 2010

I’m a mix of many nationalities, but my last name is Irish. :)

Never been to Ireland, but I’d love to go!

22 christina cadden March 16, 2010

They look good!

23 Bridget March 16, 2010

Loooooooove savoury muffins like this! What a good idea! I am 1/4 irish, more or less. I went to Ireland when I was 4 years old with my family and from what I can remember it was beautiful (but rainy!).

24 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 16, 2010

What a great idea, your so creative.

25 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 16, 2010

oooh I love savory muffins! I will be giving these a try for sure :)

26 Katrina M March 16, 2010

hmm never had savory muffins, looks interesting!!

i don’t have any irish in me, but my hometown school mascot is the “fighting irish”!! :)

tomorrow i’m making corned beef and cabbage in honor of st patty’s day and will TRY to remember to wear green, haha (i always forget stuff like that)…. i can’t wait!!!

27 Jen March 16, 2010

Those muffins look delish! My great-great-grandparents on my mother’s side came from Ireland, so my husband loves to call me the British mutt (my dad’s mom was from Scotland & his father was from England). One of my best friends is actually moving to Ireland for a year in May so I’m really hoping we can go visit her while she’s there. Happy St. Paddy’s Day tomorrow!

28 Maya March 16, 2010

You will LOVE Ireland. The green there is so striking. It’s gorgeous.

29 jodie March 16, 2010

I am going to this recipe. I have 2 questions, 1. Have you used date sugar? Trying to experiment using different sugars. 2nd question, which brand of italian seasoning did you use in the recipe?

30 Katie March 16, 2010

Weird. I have made those muffins! I can’t remember if I got the recipe from the same place, but I just checked, and I used the exact same ingredients as what you posted! Twilight Zone?!?!

31 Allison @ Food For Healing March 16, 2010

those look very nice! well done.

I am 100% Ukrainian!!

32 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 16, 2010

i don’t have any Irish in me that i know of, but my dad’s birthday is St. Patrick’s day, so we always make sure to celebrate! such a fun holiday…i’d LOVE to visit Ireland someday :)

33 Lauren March 16, 2010

I don’t have a lick of Irish in me, and I’ve never really celebrated the holiday before, but I did have some green beer this weekend. However, I have a feeling that it wasn’t nearly as good as your green muffins. ;)

34 jenna March 16, 2010

I’m actually going to Ireland to visit a friend who is working in Dublin, this coming April! I am so excited to explore the country!

35 Valerie March 16, 2010

Those muffins look yummy! Cute little decorations on top too!

I don’t have any plans for St. Patty’s Day (yet) but I live in a university town so I’m sure I’ll eventually get up to something! I’m only a little bit Irish (family came over in the mid-1800s according to my grandpa’s research) but I would definitely love to go there on holiday. A friend of mine went there on her honeymoon and her pictures are stunning – I can just imagine how breathtaking it would be in person!

36 Sophie @ yumventures March 16, 2010

These look great, would go perfectly with my spinach pancakes! :) I went to Ireland for a long weekend in 2006 when I was studying abroad, it is the most beautiful country. And it really is SO green! Happy St Patty’s Day :)

37 Ann March 16, 2010

I hitchhiked around Ireland a few years back for about a month, by myself. I never had to turn down a ride because it felt unsafe, I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for a ride even in the most remote areas, and I met some wonderful people that way. My favorite area was Donegal County up north–considerably less touristy than other areas, and absolutely beautiful and charming. It is a testament to the awesomeness of Ireland that I had an amazing time despite the fact that it rained at least 50% of the time I was there (it was May). (oh yeah, and I didn’t really love Dublin)

38 Ashley March 17, 2010

Those muffins are adorable!! Chris + I both have Irish in us. Chris is 50% and I’m 25%. We actually went to Ireland on our honeymoon too! It was an amazing 10 days, together, with a rental car, driving on the opposite side of the road, with our garmin. LOL. It was quite the site at times, but so much fun. We didn’t have many concrete plans once we got over there. We did get to stay with an amazing family in the country in norther ireland though. My mom + I met them in Hawaii like 8yrs ago and we’ve stayed in touch ever since…they were SO welcoming to us, it was amazing. Breakfasts were the HIGHlight when we stayed with them!!! Oh, you’re bringing back my memories..can you tell ;)

39 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness March 17, 2010

Love Zucchini Bread.. definitely going to need to give these a try!

40 Orla March 17, 2010

I am Irish – Irish and living in Ireland :D Funnily enough I’ve never celebrated St. Patrick’s Day!! It seems like a much bigger deal in the US than it is here. We don’t go dyeing any rivers green or having big budget parades (our parade is so embarassingly twee). For me it’s just a day off work!

41 nic March 17, 2010

Those muffins look delish!!!
I LOVE Ireland!! Dublin in particular!!
So tell me when you’re planning to go, I’ll come too!! ;)
Seriously!

42 Amy @ Running in Pink March 17, 2010

I’m from the UK so it’s easy for me to visit Ireland, i holidayed there 3 years ago in Southern Ireland and it was stunning – i drank far too much Guiness and ate too much soda bread! Now there’s a challenge for you – can you make soda bread? ;)

43 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini March 17, 2010

We’re completely Irish. Both sets of grandparents moved to England just before World War 2. Our history is complicated but I’m descended from Irish gypseys!

I have an Irish potato cake recipe on my blog today! http://www.suburbanyogini.com/2010/03/17/irish-potato-cakes/

44 deisegirl March 17, 2010

Ha I *am* Irish but I get kind of cringey at all the Blarney that’s floating around on this day of the year, we do get a day off work though so Hurrah for Saint Patrick (though I’m not sure if he’s even an *official* saint and he definitely wasn’t Irish!). Those muffins do look unbelievably good . I would never go for muffins in a shop or anything but savoury muffins sound like a GREAT idea and I’m going to make them after my next grocery shop as I have no zuccinis…or courgettes as we say here. Maybe I could throw in some grated carrot too for extra Irishness ;)

45 Dukka Girl March 17, 2010

I’m Irish too (I live in Belfast in the north of Ireland), not doing very much to celebrate (as someone else said, it seems bigger in the US than in Ireland itself), but I am also planning a zucchini meal later! The muffins look great, I am on the lookout for savoury beakfast ideas at the moment to try and cut down my sugar consumption (both refined and not so refined). Deisegirl’s idea of adding grated carrot rocks! I really must try these now. Enjoy Ireland when you get there..it does suck a bit for vegan food. There’s two ok veggie restaurants in Dublin and a lovely place in Cork called Cafe Paradiso, but no exclusively vegan places that I know of. Happy St Patrick’s day:)

46 Jane March 17, 2010

In response to yesterday’s post, I think this quote says it all.

“Self-acceptance, self-awareness, and fitness are a circle.”

David Patchell-Evan
founder of Goodlife Fitness

47 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 17, 2010

Those muffins look great! I love anything green =D

I am very Irish- over 50%. I visited for a family wedding when I was 13, and it is to this day one of the most memorable trips I have been on. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Not very veg-friendly, though- I was a vegetarian and had quite a hard time convincing them fish was considered ‘meat’! LOL

And I love celebrating St. Patty’s day! We didn’t make it to the TO parade this year, so we’re going out to a pub for some food & green beer this year =D

xo
K

48 Jocelyn March 17, 2010

I would LOVE to go to Ireland some day :) I tell my man alllll the time..how nice it would be..lush green land…and pubs for miles! haha…

p.s you know the snow is comin back..don’t be fooled! :P

49 Alexandra March 17, 2010

Ireland is amazing!!! I loved my trip there. I have Irish in me as well. You should definitely go the first chance you get. I was wondering if you find it hard taking time off now that you are running your own business? How do you manage it?

50 Jordan March 17, 2010

I’m an O’Malley by marriage! I love my husband’s big family. We’ve never been to Ireland but hope to go in the next few years.

The muffins look amazing! I’ve been looking for savory breads to pack in my lunch, and these may be just the thing.

51 Katie March 17, 2010

I’m just a teensy bit Irish on my mom’s side. A friend bought my daughter a super cute St. Patty’s Day outfit so she’ll be sporting that.

52 Kelly March 17, 2010

You sold me at HUMMUS- I love hummus and zucchini so I think I’d love these muffins!
I made a plate of Irish colored veggies last night (zucchini, carrot and parnsnips). I am very very Irish and I’ve been to Ireland twice so I get a little into St. Patrick’s Day (in an adult way haha)

53 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 17, 2010

I announced last week that I was too old for celebrating St. Paddys Day…but my little sis got her first job last night in the same city as I live so I think actually there will be a green beer or two tonight after all! :)

Happy St. Paddy’s Angela!!!

54 Tricia March 17, 2010

Those look so good!
I am Irish…started the day off with a big ole extra green- Green Monster! Yummmm

Happy St. Patty’s Day Ange!

55 Nancy March 17, 2010

Yes! I have been to Ireland (and just spoke about it today on my blog). I’m from Newfoundland where literally half of the population migrated from Britain and Ireland. In fact, my brother is married to a lady from Dublin and I have little Irish nephews! They’re so cute with their accents, especially learning how to speak (they’re 4 and 2), so it’s difficult to understand them sometimes! :)

Happy St Paddys!!

56 ::christine:: March 17, 2010

I can not wait to visit Ireland. My dad was Irish and my mom is Spanish so my dad used to call me his “Spicky-Mick” I myself, like McSpick …anyhew, my dad passed away when I was 10 but a couple yrs ago I got a tattoo of a shamrock in his honor. So I’m always ready for St.Paddy’s day ;)

Each year I make corned beef or Rueben’s for the fam. I’m planning to take my son there in 2013- right after he graduates :D

57 Shannon March 17, 2010

Top o’ the mornin’ to ya! I am 15/16 Irish and 1/16 Danish, but my maiden last name is Danish. Growing up, I was determined to marry a man with an Irish last name, but I fell in love with and married a jewish Katz. Oops! I was a competitive step dancer, so I can still do a jig in a bar :)

58 Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 17, 2010

I’m over half Irish and literally do nothing on St. Patrick’s Day….maybe we’ll have a little party tonight. hehe

My boss is from Ireland and I haven’t heard him mention it either. Maybe it’s just an American holiday now? I like any excuse to celebrate though but I usually don’t do it in traditional St. Patrick’s Day style with green beer. haha

59 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 17, 2010

Those look absolutely fabulous!
What do you use to dye your beer green? We just use food coloring, but I wasn’t sure if there was a vegan or healthy version :-p Not sure adding wheat grass to beer would be so good ;)

I don’t have any Irish in me – or at least if any, a very small amount. Mostly Swedish/Norwegian here!

60 SoVeryFabulous March 17, 2010

What a great idea for St. Patty’s day muffins! And a nice way to sneak a bit of veggies in too. :)

61 Lauren @ BIOCHEMISTA March 17, 2010

Great idea with the GREEN muffins!!! I’d like to try a zucchini loaf in the near future :) I made a GM in the spirit of St. Patty’s Day..well I was gonna obv make it anyways but it felt ever more right today ;)

Have a great day!

xoxox

62 Nicole, RD March 17, 2010

The zucchini muffins look wonderful!

I am very Irish, yep…but I am yet to make it to Ireland :( I really want to go to Gallway!

63 Laura Georgina March 17, 2010

Yummy muffins! I’m sure the MIL will be well impressed at her sweet DIL :-)

I’ve been to Ireland once (only Dublin for a long weekend) and thought it was pretty cool, but I’d love to go back and see more of the countryside, and maybe even find the place my only Irish ancestor might have come from. I’m Puerto Rican with an Irish great-great-grandfather who married a Bolivian lady and moved to PR–wonder if the two cancel each other out??. To this day my Irish-Bolivian-Puerto Rican mishmash grandfather insists of having corned beef and all the fixings on St. Patrick’s Day (which he can’t help but acccompany with a glass of rum a la Puerto Rico).

64 Bronwyn March 17, 2010

I’m half Irish and half scottish. It’s a fiery mix to be sure. I went to Ireland nearly ten years ago! Wow, I hadn’t realized it’d been that long. It was beautiful when we went anyway.

Yeah for St. Patty’s Day!

65 Kim B. March 17, 2010

Hi Angela. I just found your blog. Just this week I decided to take control of my life and my diet. I’ve been on a roller coaster ride for a long time trying to feel good about myself. I decided to stop obsessing about calories and just eat RIGHT for a change. I love love love your blog and read your journey to health. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

66 Catherine March 17, 2010

I actually only have a speck of Irish in me – and even that’s questionable. So I don’t get soo into St Patty’s Day (plus I’m not a big beer drinker and in NYC it seems today is just an excuse to get disgustingly drunk int he middle of the day) – however, I did make a Green smoothie this morning!

67 Rebekah March 17, 2010

The muffins look so devine. I love all things Irish. I am of Irish and Scottish decent, even have the green eyes and red hair to broadcast it. =) It is my dream to go to Ireland, actually I should say again. The first time was just an hour layover at the airport on my way to Russia. So close yet so far! Next time I go I would love to run the Dublin Marathon. Happy St. Patty’s Day to you.

68 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 17, 2010

Definitely have some Irish in me! My step-grandpa is from a family of 17!!!! I can’t imagine. My mom and her sister took me and my cousin Sean to Ireland for our HS graduation/18th bday and it was amazing. I would love to go back.

69 Christine (The Raw Project) March 17, 2010

The muffins look great, very festive. I’ve never been to Ireland, but want to some day. I did have a super green smoothie this morning! :-)

70 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama March 17, 2010

Those look fantastic! Happy St. Patty’s Day!

71 Quisha March 17, 2010

those cupcakes look DELISH!