Cardio Junkie No More

Good morning!

Our good weather has come to an end. The weatherman is saying that we are supposed to get rain all weekend long! What a mood kill!! Thankfully I have some fun indoor shopping plans on Saturday with Krissy. We are going to a huge outlet mall and I hope to snag a couple of deals for our trip. Shopping is so much better when it is raining outside, isn’t it?

I started my morning off with some Bootaaaay! I did about 20 minutes of the cardio quickie from the Booty Camp Fitness DVD. Love, love, love this DVD.

I have done about 5-6 weeks of the booty camp now and I have noticed a lot of great changes in my body and I have built a ton of muscle. When I started the DVD back on Feb. 1st it was a sad sight. I could barely crank out TWO full push-ups! Now I am happy to say that I can do about 8-10! I have yet to wear my knee sleeves this season because my legs just feel all around stronger now as compared to last year. It is pretty exciting what strength training can do.

I used to be a huge cardio junkie. I would only do cardio day in and day out. I never saw any changes with my body which wasn’t too surprising!

I will be bringing the DVD with me on our trip to Florida. The great thing about it is that the exercises require no equipment, so I can do the DVD anywhere. Just pop it in my suitcase and go. The Booty Camp DVD might be available for purchase online in upcoming weeks, but this has not been verified. I will let you know when I find out any info! :)

Following the booty camp I did a 20 minute Hip Opening Flow yoga class from Yoga Download. I have been doing about 5 minutes of yoga a few times a week, but today I felt like doing something a bit longer. Plus, running and strength work make my legs reeeeeally tight!

IMG 5688 thumb   Cardio Junkie No More

By this time, I worked up an appetite and had an awesome post-workout green monster:

IMG 6977 thumb   Cardio Junkie No More

Post-workout GM:

• 1.25 cup almond milk,
  • .75 cup spinach (ran out!)
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass chocolate meal,
  • 1 frozen banana,
  • ice,
  • chia seeds,
  • 1/4 cup oats,
  • 1 tablespoon cashew butter

A meal in a glass!

This GM is about 450-475 calories and packs a ton of protein, fibre, vitamins, healthy fats, and minerals!

And now it is time to share with you some of my favourite health links of the week…

Health News Round Up

Is hooping the next big fitness craze? – NY Times

A vertical marathon? One woman is climbing all 7 continents for women in the Congo – That’s Fit

Secret of success: Sneak in more exercise – Daily Spark

Running: How to transition from the treadmill to the road – Fit Sugar

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein: What it is and where it is found: – CBC

Running Gear you don’t need according to some runners – That’s Fit

I’m working out, so why am I not losing weight? – Vitamin G

Raw Lemon Blueberry Scones – Fitnessista

Top 25 cardio workouts – Fitness

Currently drooling over: Mediterranean Black Bean Quinoa Burgers – The Voracious Vegan

All is right in the world: Sid the Kid’s equipment is found – Hockey Canada

Is a thin body celebrated more than a fit one? – Daily Spark

Today’s questions…

- What is your favourite health link from above?

- Do you do strength workouts on a regular basis or do you focus on cardio?

Have a great end to your week!

Angela Signature thumb12   Cardio Junkie No More

Bronwyn March 12, 2010

Last year I went through a HUGE gym/weights/workout phase. It was good. I was obsessed with weights, and did them regularly and with great enthusiams. And you totally do notice a difference. I had tremendous results in 4 weeks.

This year I’m a little bit of both. I’m back in cardio mode, but I know how important weights are and I do them two days a week, on my cross training days. I love them.

It’s said that if you want results you have to do weights, cardio just doesn’t cut it. YOu need to build muscle so you can burn more calories. Plus the toning is definitely nice. ;)

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) March 12, 2010

You are so right, strength training is so important. I love cardio too but I try and do some weights with every workout. As we get older, we lose muscle mass so it’s a good idea to strength train when we’re younger to get in the habit. Working out with weights is also good for bone strength.

Sheri March 12, 2010

My focus is mainly on strength training. I do circuit training and it keeps my heart rate up while I lift. It is pretty challenging too! I do cardio as well just not a whole ton. Mostly intervals to keep me lean but not to loose any muscle I have built up. I keep my intervals short and sweet with good intensity.

However, now that the weather is getting nice I am going to start getting back into my running again as well.

Tina March 12, 2010

I like to get a mix of workouts but I definitely agree that strength training is the only way to really see changes! You definitely look great and congrats on the progress :)

Liz March 12, 2010

I used to be a strength training junkie – at least 3 times a week consistently during my lunch break. But after getting a dog I had to use my lunch breaks to bike home and let her out, and completely fell out of the habit. Now I probably lift once a week on a good week! I’m hoping to get back into it post-marathon.
Congrats on the changes! You are definitely inspiring me to start up again.

Jessica March 12, 2010

As a runner, I’m definitely a cardio junkie. But I try to incorporate one session each of upper body, abs, and lower body strength training each week, as well as some yoga. It helps keep me balanced, makes me stronger, and prevents injuries!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 12, 2010

You look so young in that photo. He he. Since I’m rehabbing two bad knees I need to do strength training on my legs every other day or else I feel the pain. Thankfully, I’m much more into weights than I am cardio. If not, I’d be crying over five years without running.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2010

When I don’t wear make-up I look like a teenager…haha.

lindsay March 12, 2010

Oh yes! I feel weak if I don’t do strength. I like feel strong and confident! And by the way, doesn’t amazing grass ROCK?!!
LC

Bree@beeskneeslife March 12, 2010

I have always been a runner at heart, but strength training is my focus over the past two years. It has really helped reshape my body. I have been really focusing on mobility, stretching, and posture lately, too. I figure I have to have a good foundation to build on! I still run about 3-4 times a week, too.

Michelle March 12, 2010

It’ll be a long while before I actually get guns or abs or muscles that are NOT on my calves for that matter, but it’s always inspiring to see them on other people!! :) Thank you for all the links you’ve provided Ange, I looked into almost all of them – and yup – i’m drooling over those black bean burgers!!!

liane March 12, 2010

I’m a horrible person… I keep forgetting about strength training ever since I gave up my gym membership. Bad me!
I run 3-4 times a week, but I really should get back to doing the DVDs.
Jillian Michael’s shred dvd makes me cry. I tear up just thinking of the pain she inflicts.
And I can turn off the dvd, although every so often I think it might be fun to have her train me in person. I’d die in about 30 seconds, but it would be kind of fun. In a sick, twisted way ;)

Angela March 12, 2010

I really like the HVP artice bcause we used to consume a butTON of faux meat products and I never felt so great on them. Now we get our protein sources from beans & quinoa and feel much better!
I love the heater by the yoga mat – such a great idea!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 12, 2010

Hooping is AWESOME… A girl in town does hooping classes, so fun!

I’ve been pestering her to do a guest post FOREVER!!! :)

Ashley March 12, 2010

I absolutely LOVE the 30min hip opening yoga from yogaDL. I’ve only done it 2-3x so far but it has already been a huge help! Those black bean burgers look INsane! About working out – I have always enjoyed cardio + lifting but last year definitely kind of ignored lifting. Now that my foot is keeping me from running for awhile I’m focusing on swimming + biking [indoors] and getting back into my lifting routine. It’s been great so far. The huz and I also just joined a rock climbing gym, which is such a great all over body workout.

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind March 12, 2010

LOVE strength training! Muscles are sexy! :)

Kirsten March 12, 2010

Is funny. I used to be a cardio junkie too. I’ve started doing a lot more Pilates lately and have definitely noticed more of a change (for the better!) in my body than when I only did cardio.

Christine (The Raw Project) March 12, 2010

Strength training so important, I agree! I try to use my Bowflex 3-4 times a week, it makes a big difference on how toned I look and feel. :-)

Meg March 12, 2010

Hi Angela, Just wanted to say I love, love your blog. I especially love the article round-up you do. Great idea. My favorite article in the bunch is the spark article about sneaking in exercise. I had a baby 5 months ago and no longer have large blocks of time to dedicate to working out. I run outside 30 minutes a day and then sneak in activity when I can — like your brilliant WMM workout. So I liked reading that short sessions of exercise can make a difference. Thank you for ALL that you do. You are so informative, positive, fun, and inspiring!

Kate March 12, 2010

Angela, I love that you are no long a cardio junkie either! In the last year, I have loved how strength training has changed my body. I used to run all the time or do the elliptical, now you can’t get me to do more than 20 minutes of cardio. Right now my weekly workouts are 5 days of bikram yoga and 2 days strength (Jillian Michaels “No More Trouble Zones” and 30 Day Shred to get “a little” cardio in). It’s so much fun trying different things and to see what your body is really capable of that cardio alone won’t allow. :)

Lizzie March 12, 2010

Until I started with a trainer I had never really done any strength training at all – but the benefits were immediate for me. Now I am not really at square one again, but after a hiatus of 2 months I am back into it and a lot of it has to do with self discipline and creating a program that is (in my case) very defined. That way I will not waiver!! :) A friend of my husband’s commented to him how much healthier I looked when I started strength, but in addition to that nice benefit :) it’s also become more important as a means of preventing and recovering from injury.

Amanda March 12, 2010

When I dealt with disordered eating, I really only ever did cardio because I just wanted the highest calorie burn. Since then, I have been doing yoga and the Jillian Michaels DVDs (Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones), and see big changes in my body shape … not really weight … and am much more confident because I feel strong and capable!! Strength training is really important to me now!

Danica March 12, 2010

Ok so you totally make me want that DVD now too – Yeah for an awesome workout and for having the “guns” to prove it! Great job!

Holy Link LOVE – now I am going to be spending the rest of my day looking at all the great links – Thanks for sharing!

Have a great weekend!

Jenny (Green Food Diaries) March 12, 2010

oh no! I hate running out of spinach.

Babs March 12, 2010

Angela, your body is rocking! You’re such an inspiration. I wanted to share my new love with you–Cashew Creamery raw icecream. I got some from Wholefoods and it is so creamy and delish. The choc with a sliced banana was heaven. It’s soy-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free. Definitely something to try!

Andrew Lowry March 12, 2010

Angela,

Wow you look great! Please get Eric to take a pic of you showing off those great abs. You look like you have great definition in your core but you are covering it with your right hand and hen flex those arms. Folks need to really see what results you have gotten. (Okay I know that humility or modesty may make you not to do so.)

I am glad to hear that you have moved to resistance workouts. I have been reading you for a few months and noted that you are (were) a cardio junkie. I am a weight lifter (even do bodyweight reps for interval cardio) and I wanted to recommend it to you but think it is not my place.

If you are interested in looking at other programs I highly recommend Turbulence Training by fellow Canadian Craig Ballantyne. He has a lot of programs for different objectives and some women specific programs. Some programs use free weights while others are bodyweight specific.

Okay it may be raining this weekend but hey it is the first half of March in Ontario (I am in Niagara Falls) and we are breaking 10 C some days. So what if it rains a bit. It helps to clean the streets.
I hope you have a fun weekend.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 12, 2010

Ugh I am SO not happy about the rain, either!!

Your ‘guns’ look great! Keep it up! I need to work on mine… aside from what I get whipping fresh mayo in class ;)

I do a mix of cardio/strength. I, too, used to be a cardio junkie, but with less time (and energy!) lately I have been focusing on doing full body workouts that keep my heart rate up (cardio) and include weights or body weight exercises (strength), plus yoga on the side, and running a couple times a week for extra cardio. It has worked so far!

Thanks for all those links, I will check them out!!

Jane March 12, 2010

Angela,
How can I buy a copy of the Bootie Camp workout? I have checked their site and can’t find the dvd for sale. Do you have to become a member? Do you buy it in stores?

Thanks.

Jane

Naomi (onefitfoodie) March 12, 2010

awesome job on that DVD! its amazing how the body can respond to work you put in over time! yaya for not being a cardio junkie anymore!

Melissa S. March 12, 2010

I’ve recently started strength training and have totally noticed the difference in my muscle tone. it’s very exciting to see the positive changes in my body!

Sarah March 12, 2010

I always strength train 3-4 times a week. Ever since I was 15. I am 27 now, and I can say that I just can’t stop! I am not ‘buff’ and I am still curvy, so I think that strength training is da bomb :-)

My favourite link is the burger. Yum! And so simple. Last night I made black-eyed pea BBQ brown rice burgers just by throwing stuff together. SOOOO delicious!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 12, 2010

Nice job, you look great. Lifting weights and doing high intensity workouts really transforms the body.

Lauren March 12, 2010

I’m big into weights! LOVE them! Walking, cycling and hiking are my cardio! Doing weights every other day keeps me very lean, plus it is good for bone health!

Jil March 12, 2010

Woopwoop. Welcome to the gun show!! You look great!

Mae @ OhhMay March 12, 2010

I can’t get out of cardio. I wish I had more motivation to lift and work on weights!

Hannah March 12, 2010

Hey Ange do you think one of these days (when you have time! lol) you can try a vegan black bean brownie recipe? I’ve heard about it but I’m afraid to try it and I know you are the master of baking!

Eri March 12, 2010

not sure if you’d be interested in this homemade nutella recipe. thought i’d leave the link anyway.

P.S. I want your abs. :]

Jolene March 13, 2010

I love the pretty glass for the Green Monster :-)

Amanda March 13, 2010

Weight training is so important for women, it’s a shame so many shy away from it. I’ve been hitting the weights for years, it’s great for your metabolism and bone density!

John March 13, 2010

It’s hard to build muscle while losing weight so I’m focusing on the cardio right now. As bad as rain is isn’t it better than shovelling snow? :-)

Susan March 14, 2010

Woo! I’m all about strength training!! I didn’t really learn to love my body until I learned I could shape it by lifting weights. With just cardio, I thought I looked exactly the same after losing 30 lbs…just a smaller version :P

I did not know that about hydrolyzed vegetable protein!

Page 2 of 2«12