How Old Do You Feel?

Snow, snow, snow!

IMG 1543 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

February is going out with a bang, indeed.

I got stuck in the driveway yesterday and had to place some wood planks under the back tires to get out. Fun times!!!

IMG 1547 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

Also broke our brand new shovel while shoveling!

Comfort food was in order this morning…

IMG 1559 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

Choco-cado Pumpkin Speltmeal

I have been wanting to try spelt flakes as a hot cereal. I thought I would give it a whirl this morning not really knowing how they would turn out. The spelt didn’t cook as voluminous as oats, so I bulked it up with some pumpkin. Spelt is rich in Vitamin B3, vitamin B1, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.

IMG 1554 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup spelt flakes
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1.5-2 cups water
  • Pumpkin Pie spice, to taste
  • Pinch sea salt

Toppings:

• Vegan graham crackers
  • Cacao nibs
  • coconut
  • Pure maple Syrup
  • Choco-cado pudding (amazing on this!)

IMG 1566 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

The spelt tasted ‘wheatier’ than the oats and it was also chewier. Overall, I prefer the taste of oats, but with some toppings I could barely notice the difference.

IMG 1568 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

Morning pot of Japanese Sencha..zing, zing.

IMG 1571 thumb   How Old Do You Feel?

How old do you feel?

Often, I still feel like a university student. One reason why Eric and I are waiting to have kids is because we both still feel so young ourselves. Many days I still feel like a kid myself!

However, this was not always the case. When I was working in my stressful research job while juggling my full-time Master’s degree and teaching position, I felt OLD, old, old. I was stressed out to the max, I started to get fine lines and wrinkles, and I felt like I was at least 10 years older than I really was. I pictured my life as unhappy and stressed out, working at the same job my whole life.

This all changed when I took my life into my own hands and decided to create happiness in my life. After leaving my job, I was even more stressed out, but the difference was that there was now hope. Before, I didn’t have hope because I accepted that I would always be unhappy in my career.

As the months went by in 2009, I started to get myself back. I started to feel energetic, happy, and back to my old self. I started to feel young! I also started drinking Green Monsters and shifted to a vegan diet. I ran my first race and several races after that. I set goals for myself and enjoyed trying to meet them.

I truly believe that to feel young and vibrant, we need to create happiness in our lives one way or another. It is not something that is done overnight; it often takes months, if not years, to get on the path that you desire.

As you may know, some of my favourite books are Dr. Oz’s YOU books. In his book, YOU: The Owner’s Manual, he has a Real Age test (it is also available online here). I was curious last night, so I took the real age test online and this is what I got:

Untitled thumb3   How Old Do You Feel?

I’m almost legal in the US! ;)

I would say that I now feel about 21-23 yrs old most days. When I was stressed out with my previous job and academic career, I felt about 35-38! I’m NOT saying that is old, but what I mean is that I felt like I had much more responsibility than I should have had at such a young age. While I wouldn’t go BACK to my early twenties (I was much more unstable than I am now), I think it is fun to ‘feel’ younger, energy wise.

I took the test several years ago when I was 22 and my score was about 19, so I have brought my real age down by 3 more years since then.

The test asks questions about your health background, your diet, fitness level, family history, drinking habits, etc. It pinpoints areas where you struggle and gives suggestions on how to improve your health.

My questions to you today are:

1)  How old are you?

2) How old do you FEEL?

There is a difference most of the time…

~~~

Updates:

• More Adore glo bars (10% off today!) have been added to the cart, as well as more variety packs, Run, Renew, and Chi bars!

Size Healthy around the Blog World:

It’s supposed to be a rest day for me, but I have to go shovel the drive-way! Boo urns.

PS- Super scary + nail-bitter ending to the game last night! Very excited for US vs Canada on Sunday afternoon!!!!

Enjoy your Saturday! :)

Angela Signature thumb33   How Old Do You Feel?

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 27, 2010

I’m 23 but I feel all different ages! When I go to bed at 9 PM after reading a book in bed on Friday night, I feel closer to 53 ;). When I’m with my friends from college, I feel like we’re back in college and 20. And then I start freaking out about the future and remind myself I’m 23 and have many years to change career paths!

Jacquie February 27, 2010

I’m 23 (but turning 24 on Wednesday!). I don’t know how old I feel, but when I tool that RealAge test a few weeks ago, it said I was 16! People always think I’m younger than I look because I hardly ever wear make-up unless I’m going out for the night…

Mel February 27, 2010

Ha ha, nice Simpsons reference there with the Boo-urns…
Just got back from a 5k run, so I guess you could say I’m feeling pretty good right now, certainly not older than my chronological age…34 is coming up soon!

CK February 27, 2010

I’m obsessed with this blog!!! I love it- you do SUCH a great job. I found it when I made the Vegan switch. SO much more fun to cook this way.

Am 25.7 but RealAge was 19.3! Woo hoo! I normally feel like I’m 19, but when my dog wants to go out at 6am I feel 85 :) Thanks for this.

Julie @SavvyEats February 27, 2010

I’ll be 23 soon, but my “real age” is apparently 15. Um, what? Haha, I guess I do look young for my age… ;)

Fit Lizzio February 27, 2010

so funny that you posted this. i wrote on facebook yesterday saying
“if you didn’t know how old you were, how old would you be?”
Because, like weight, i believe age is JUST a number and you are only as old as you feel.

Erica February 27, 2010

I’ve noticed that it is the most youthful people who make the best parents. Just putting that out there. :)

maria February 27, 2010

i’m 36 but feel about 25. sometimes, when i notice signs of aging, i am totally shocked! or when doctors mention this or that is “simply part of the aging process” i can’t believe they are talking to me! i’m just a kid! :-)

Britt @ Runnerbelle February 27, 2010

Fun! I haven’t taken that quiz in awhile. My calendar age is 31.3, my “real age” is 22.9!!! (oh how I wish!)

I need to ask my mom to take that and let me know what she gets, she is the youngest acting 65 year old I know (running marathons and all).

Sarah February 27, 2010

I’m 25. I feel about 21. I’ve just taken the test that you took and apparantly I’m actually 17.5! That’s impressive. I suppose in terms of energy I’m about that age (I do have a lot of energy, naturally) but I wouldn’t say I feel that way, because I like to think I’m a bit more mature than I was then!

EaterNotARunner February 27, 2010

25 but I feel about 21 ;-)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 27, 2010

I’m 27, but most days I still feel 18-20, health wise and mentally – LOL! I love feeling like a kid, but I also love independence now. My hubby is 36, and he is so super healthy now, people think he is ~25 or so!

Katrina M February 27, 2010

hahaha…. i took that real age test. i’m 26 and it said i’m 17!!!! i couldn’t believe it, haha.

a friend of mine is 30 and her “real age” was 36, she didn’t like that much, hahaha. :) it’s just for fun i think, it’s not like it’s an exact science.

John February 27, 2010

38 but it’s just a number. I feel like I’m in my 20′s still. My real age is 38.8 or 6 months more than my actual age.

Lele February 27, 2010

I’m 21. I sometimes feel 21, I sometimes feel 12 (like when I see girls my age with children) and I sometimes feel 45 (like when I stay in on Friday nights doing crossword puzzles!)

Christel February 27, 2010

I just turned 31 this week. Some days I feel young & energetic and other days I feel “old.” I think most of the “old” feelings come when comparing myself to my younger, 20 something days. For example, I like to be in bed by 9pm, 10pm the latest. It is nearly impossible for me to stay up past midnight (like some of my similar aged friends) In hindsight, this is more of a growing up issue and knowing what my body needs/craves = adequate sleep!

Other than that, I think staying fit and eating a relatively healthy diet contribute to my “younger” feeling days. Luckily, I have more of these days than the others.

My Real Age # = 26 :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 27, 2010

I’m almost 21, and it depends on the day! Usually I feel my age, other days I feel beyond my years. Then other days, I feel like I am 15 again! I’m happy, so it really doesn’t matter to me how old I feel… but one day I would like to feel young, even when I am not =D

xo
K

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 27, 2010

I took this test for a class assignment and I was 14.7 years old–not even the legal driving age here! I’m actually 22 in 1 week from Monday. Wahoo!

The things that were working against me was driving a small car, not flossing daily and other trivial things. Hooray for us youngins :)

AGS February 27, 2010

I am 29, and I feel, well 29. I don’t know how you are “supposed” to feel at any age. I just took the real age test, and it said I was 27. First, the algorithms on the test are a little messed up, because the fact that you get “dinged” for not knowing an exact number is silly. Second, I think there’s some bizarre paranoia about aging going on here with this test (it’s not that I think it’s a bad test, it’s purpose is clearly to associate detrimental behaviors with decreased life expectancy).
Ultimately, this really got me to thinking about age, and how we (North America, broadly speaking) treat youth as something, ideally, can be extended for as long as possible. Youth is also almost synonymous with being “care free”. Thus, if your “care free” days are over — or you don’t somehow feel as though you are still in your “care free youth”, you somehow feel that you are “old”.
This is ridiculous, because being care free also means that other things aren’t happening – that is, you can’t grow as a person without experiencing some pain. It’s called life. A life with no pain is impossible. I would never want to go back to being 18 or 26 or any age. Some things in life only come with experience, and I’m finally getting to those things. I’ve often looked forward to getting to my 30′s, because I know that I will have the experience to do the things that I want to do with my career. And that’s happening!! Life – a healthy life – is one that experiences aging. Getting older is OK. Being old is OK. It’d better be, or we’re all in for a real crisis situation in the next 20-30 years.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 27, 2010

That breakfast looks good. I’ve never tried spelt, but it’s on my (long) list of grains to try instead of oats.

I’m 27 but I feel about 80. I have chronic pain in both knees so most days I feel like a grandmother getting tired while walking and having to sit down after standing for just a few minutes. Other than my knee pain, I feel about my age. But I know that if I could be more active–do cardio longer without feeling pain or just walking around more–I’d feel much better.

Katie February 27, 2010

I’m 30 and I feel exactly the same as I did when I was 24 or 25. Both maturity wise and physically. It’s a great feeling. Thanks for asking; I wouldn’t have thought of it!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 27, 2010

Beautiful tea pot, I love when I have time to drink and serve tea the right way. It tastes so much better that way.

Katheryn February 27, 2010

I’m 28 and definitely feel younger. I have two children and own a house, so shouldn’t I feel like an adult?

Mary Ann February 27, 2010

At 47 I’m probably one of your oldest readers and a fan of your blog. I took that test as well and my ‘real age’ is 41. I contribute it to a happy life with my husband of almost 27 years and two great sons. I have a passion for running (keep using that dreadmill Angela!) that keeps me in shape both physically and mentally. You are doing a fantastic job on your blog with keeping health for life in mind and not just being skinny. I liked your healthy size jean day! Keep up the wonderful and inspiring work that you are doing!

Susan February 27, 2010

I am 38, and I don’t think that much about the number or my age. I feel healthy and energetic, I feel the same if not better then I did when I was in my twenties. One thing I have noticed is those I work with and know that are in their twenties seem to focus a lot on age, to the point of obsessing ( a few ), it’s crazy, they get concerned over turning 29 or 27 – no matter what – time marches on, and we all get old eventualy. Maybe like the size in our pants – we should answer the same to age…we are as old as we feel.

Allison February 27, 2010

I’m 22, but I still feel 16. My body doesn’t feel “grown up” or “womanly” yet. Most likely because it’s not- I still look 16! When I meet new people they always think I’m still in high school (unless I’ve dressed up for a nice occasion- then I tend to look my age), which is funny because I’ll be graduation college this spring and heading to medical school in the fall!

Lauren O February 27, 2010

so I’m a little creeped out… i put only my email address in the online one. it already had quite a bit of info checked in correctly, height, weight, astigmatism, that i wear glasses for reading, driving and night, that have changed jobs and moved home within the past 12 months, and was nervous about healthcare coverage. haha, what the heck. I used my dummy junkmail email address too!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 27, 2010

I’m 20. Sometimes I feel 13, sometimes I feel 30. It’s a confusing situation =]

shelly February 27, 2010

I’m in my late 20′s and I guess I feel physically like I’m in my early 20′s. (Age is 28.5 and real age is 24.4) but maturity wise, I feel close to my age. :)
I made a recipe today that made me think of you, Angela.
My blog readers probably won’t appreciate it, so I’m not gonna blog it, but I thought I’d pass it on.

Rocky Road Chia Pudding

Soak 1 Tbsp of chia seeds in 4 Tbsp almond milk for 10 minutes.
Mix in 1 Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (or chocolate protein powder, but it will be less rich tasting) and drizzle in a little agave (to taste). Top with walnuts and marshmallows!

It was awesome. :)

Jane February 27, 2010

I am 43 and proud of it!!

Tiffany @ A Dantat's Life February 27, 2010

I am 23 years old, but the test says my real age is 15! I can’t say I “feel” 15 all the time (thank goodness for no more acne!), but I do enjoy feeling younger in general. I also look young for my age, but I wouldn’t say I look quite 15 haha.

Lizzie February 27, 2010

How funny that you brought this up now – I was at a girls school this week for work and one of the teachers mis-took me for a student!! So that made my 34 year old self feel pretty chuffed :) I definitely feel younger than I am and some days that can actually be depressing when I think about what other 34 year olds are doing (kids, careers etc), but we all do our own thing in our own time and we’re all growing and changing at different stages . . . and I am learning that that’s OK!

Caitlin February 27, 2010

I am 22 but my quiz age is 14.9! lol

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 27, 2010

this is a great question! i am 26, but i feel like i’m still in college! i know that i could definitely feel younger, but ever since i started working out consistently again i’ve started to feel younger and younger again :)

Leah February 28, 2010

Im 24, but sometimes I feel like Im 70. They tell me at work all the time that Im going to make a great senior citizen. Im all about schedules and routine, and get really irritated when I think people are being irresponsible. Im totally a grandma at heart and Ive made my peace with that.

Cassandra February 28, 2010

Shoveling totally not what I call fun, I shoveled yesterday for 3 hrs, and woke up today with my arms killing me :(, I suggest mini breaks :) I feel like I’m 80, I’m so beyond stressed at my job and I’m doing work that isn’t even mine to do, and I feel like all the responsibility is on me, but all the credit is given else where…. I can’t wait to find my happiness…
Have a snowtactular day :)

Kendel February 28, 2010

You just solved my latest mystery! I recently bought some extra healthy looking oats at the health food store in Germany and couldn’t find an appropriate translation. I cooked them up and didn’t care for them as they were too chewy. While reading your blog, your photo of the spelt oats looked just like the stuff I’ve been using. I searched for the translation again going English to German this time and low and behold… I’ve been unknowingly using spelt flakes for the last week! Thanks for your help!

Christina@Health-Foodie February 28, 2010

Apparently I am 14 years old. haha

Mentally I have always felt much much older. I was never interested in playing silly games or partying. I like cleaning/cooking/learning and taking care of others. Little boring compared to others my age. haha

In terms of my body, I feel incredibly young. People call me tiny all the time. Being tiny always makes you feel like a little girl. I want to look more womanly, but I am not sure it fits me, it definitely would take some time getting used to.

Susan February 28, 2010

Boo, I’m 24 and the test says I’m 30!! It wants me to get a dog :P I’m definitely in the best physical shape I’ve ever been in, but I’m currently in a job where I have to act a lot older than I really am to be taken seriously. Thankfully, it’s only a contract job to make some money before I move to Toronto. Then I can start acting/feeling my age again :)

Lauren February 28, 2010

Oh no, I’m 36 and the test says I’m 40.8 yrs. I work full-time in a stressful job (that I mostly love) and am the mom of an ENERGETIC 2 year-old. Although I eat super healthy, I definately have let my fitness level slide because I’m always so mentally and physically wiped out. Something’s got to give and I think most moms put themselves last.

Page 2 of 3«123»