Big City Girls

Good evening!

I got up this morning after sleeping in and decided to have a restful morning. No work, no housework, no heavy workouts…was great!

I was feeling a bit tired so I just did some stretching and a little bit of yoga for about 20 minutes, followed by about 5 minutes of meditation. Yes, you heard me right- I meditated! I am not good at meditating because my mind is always spinning.

I find that meditating is easiest for me in the morning. I am much more peaceful and it is a bit easier to zone out. I just put some slow music on (Enya- love her) and laid down and closed my eyes. No better way to kick off the weekend.

Today I went into the city to meet up with girlfriends. It has been a while since I have gone into Toronto so it was a nice change of pace. While I love our new life out of the city, I will always love going into the city for entertainment.

This morning I did some baking.

I made the Banana Apricot Spelt Oatmeal Cookies from the other day. I didn’t have any banana though- well, it was all in the freezer for Banana Soft Serve and Green Monsters!

I subbed out the banana for 1/2 cup applesauce. It worked like a charm. They tasted great, but I still prefer the banana chunks.

IMG 1293 thumb   Big City Girls

I made the girls each a baggie. Apparently I AM an 80 yr old! :mrgreen:

IMG 1295 thumb   Big City Girls

[Fast forward: Happy customer #1]

Today was a very cloudy, yet mild, day in Toronto…

IMG 8465 thumb   Big City Girls

But my company was a ray of sunshine!

I met up with Krissy, Alex, and Laura today.

IMG 8495 thumb   Big City Girls

We passed by Much Music so I took a picture like a tourist. ;)

IMG 8497 thumb   Big City Girls

And also a random puppet show…

IMG 8493 thumb   Big City Girls

Things I’m afraid of:

• Spiders
  • Clowns
  • Puppets (newly added to the list today)

Then, we went to Fresh of course.

IMG 8472 thumb   Big City Girls

I snagged a table and ordered a lemon tea as I waited.

IMG 8475 thumb   Big City Girls

Then I ordered a ‘Create Your Own Juice’ when the ladies arrived:

IMG 8473 thumb   Big City Girls

I ordered:

• Pure Coconut Water
  • Kale
  • Ginger
  • Ginseng
  • Beet

A pretty scary mix!

But it arrived and it didn’t come with kale or beets- maybe the server didn’t think I could handle it? I didn’t feel like returning it though so I just drank it anyways. It was quite tasty with the coconut water!

IMG 8478 thumb   Big City Girls

Alex and Krissy:

IMG 8477 thumb   Big City Girls

Laura and I:

IMG 8487 thumb   Big City Girls

Laura was one of the first friends that I made in my new high school when I moved from NB to Ontario in grade 12! She is such a sweetie. Laura and Eric grew up together too!!! They lived in the same town and went to school together from PRESCHOOL until high school graduation!

IMG 8489 thumb   Big City Girls

Krissy had the soup of the day with cornbread (she said the cornbread is to die for!)

IMG 8483 thumb   Big City Girls

Alex had the Middle Eastern plate- falafel balls, hummus, tahini, pita:

IMG 8484 thumb   Big City Girls

Laura asked me what I recommended for her and I suggested the Energy Bowl. It is still my favourite bowl at Fresh to this day!

It has marinated tofu, rich coconut curry sauce, chick pea and vegetable stew, cukes, tomato, red onion, sunflower sprouts, and tahini sauce. The coconut curry sauce is INCREDIBLE.

IMG 8482 thumb   Big City Girls

I decided to try a new bowl, so I ordered the Jerusalem bowl today. It is made up of: grilled spinach, tomato, cukes, parsley, red onion, sunflower sprouts, olive oil, tamari, mixed herbs, lemon and chili powder, and a HUGE mammoth scoop of hummus in the middle.

I swear they must have known about my addiction to hummus!!!

IMG 8479 thumb   Big City Girls

This bowl was really good. It is probably my second favourite.

IMG 8481 thumb   Big City Girls

A peek inside after I demolished two thirds of it…

IMG 8486 thumb   Big City Girls

My ONLY complaint about Fresh is that their three locations are very very cramped. There is no room to move at all. The tables are about 6 inches apart so we felt like we were invading other’s space if we had to walk by. I’m sure the rent is not cheap in Toronto though so I can see why they would not have a large space!

Then Laura and I went to see Valentine’s Day!

My sad attempt at taking a picture…I’m not sure why the screen is white in my pic!? A ghost screen perhaps. ;) I swear we saw an actual movie!

IMG 8499 thumb   Big City Girls

I thought the movie was really cute, but it wasn’t as funny as I was building it up to be. Laura said the same.

We also spotted this clever advertisement on Queen Street West:

IMG 8490 thumb   Big City Girls

It is an advertisement by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC). You can drop your magazines into the slot to support ‘shedding your weight problem’. I have never seen an ad like this before and I thought it made quite a bold statement.

IMG 8491 thumb   Big City Girls

What do you think about this ad- effective or not? Does it make weight preoccupation seem too simplistic? Are there any magazines in here you WOULDN’T include?

~~~

I am currently enjoying some Banana Soft Serve and cacao nibs and preparing for what could be a very exciting morning!

IMG 1283 thumb   Big City Girls

Size Healthy Contest winners will be announced on Monday. There are so many entries! I think I am going to have to post the pictures over the course of next week so I don’t crash my blog. ;) If you still want to get in your entry, fire it off to angela [at] ohsheglows.com with the subject line Size Healthy Contest.

Have a great night! :)

Angela Signature thumb25   Big City Girls

Darryn (brio.gusto) February 20, 2010

I loooooove Fresh! I went for the first time a few months ago on my last visit to Toronto, and walked out with the cookbook! I had a soup & salad with their DELICIOUS corn bread.

As for the campaign…very cool! I think it’s an original idea that DEFINITELY gets at the heart of what everyone seems to talk about but nobody seems to DO anything about. Thanks for posting on it.

Carolyn February 20, 2010

LOVE that ad campaign!! SO sick of magazines having a new diet program in every issue. If they worked, why would you need a different one every time?

Meredith February 20, 2010

I love the soup and cornbread combo, it is definitely one of my favorites. This post makes me miss Toronto! The “Ontario: Yours to Discover” people should get you on board :D

Katie February 20, 2010

I really like the campaign. It’s a pretty cool idea. Thanks for showing it to everyone :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 20, 2010

I’m going to have to try making the banana soft serve, I wonder if other fruits would work also. Or doing banana and another fruit.

I love that campaign idea, they should have that in every city.

Meghan@traveleatlove February 20, 2010

Toronto looks like such a fun city! I would love to visit someday. I think the ad campaign is clever, but also know that eating disorders stem from FAR more than magazine articles. I just wonder if such an ad sort of simplifies them in a way, if that makes any sense?

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 20, 2010

My dad uses bananas in his oatmeal cookies and I love the flavor it adds. Speaking of ads, I LOVE that.

MarathonVal February 20, 2010

Hey Angela!

1. I often use frozen bananas to bake with, I just pop a few banana chunks out of my freezer bag onto a plate and thaw them in the microwave first. Works like a charm!

2. I LOVE that campaign, it’s so creative and I think it sends the right message across… hopefully the media will get a clue! Thanks for sharing with us!

Betsy February 20, 2010

I think that campaign is FABULOUS! Insanely creative and thought provoking! It’s great to spread the word to women that the models and other famous people in magazines are photoshopped to no end to be “perfect”. No one can ever look that perfect. We need to love our bodies the way they are!

Jolene February 20, 2010

I think that is SO cute that your brought your friends each a bag of homemade cookies!! I love the bags – where did you get them?

That banana soft serve looks SO good!! You just gave me an idea for my snack tonight :-)

Mo February 20, 2010

That is the most amazing advertisement campaign – LOVE IT! What a cool thing for you to have had the opportunity to see and share with everyone. That was kismet! :)

Sounds and looks like a fun day! I want to go to Fresh someday!

Chantal February 20, 2010

That ad by NEDIC is AWESOME (strange coincidence, considering that idea is just what I ranted about in my most recent blog post)!

Babs February 20, 2010

I just saw the V-day movie too, and I thought the same thing. I had heard it was laugh-out-loud funny, and I didn’t think it measured up. Though I did realize that Jessica Biel has some killer arms. It makes me want to do push-ups (err…push-up…since I can probably only do one…haha). I had banana soft-serve too, except I added some left-over frozen no-bake choc/peanut butter cookies. Very sweet and tasty.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 20, 2010

What a fun day as a city girl! I wish we had a restaurant like Fresh in my area.

Robyn February 20, 2010

LOVE NEDIC’s campaign idea!

Karla February 20, 2010

That’s an interesting campaign.
I hate to say it but I love magazines! They provide endless entertainment for me at the gym. I think eating disorders also vary from person to person. So while Self Magazine (or any other magazine) might be a trigger for someone, it could be helpful for someone else.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 20, 2010

SO glad to hear you took a day OFF and hung with your girlies. I’m glad even you, Superwoman, does it every now ‘n’ then.

I think that ad is really creative. I don’t believe it immediately “cures” anyone from their weight issues, but I like that’s it’s interactive with its audience.

Banana soft serve looks uh-mazing!

Anxious to here what tomorrow may bring.

Love,
Hillary

Miss February 20, 2010

I went to Fresh today too! It was such a gorgeous day in Toronto that I went for a long run outside, then followed it up with a mega life salad + grilled sweet potato and a detoxifier. What a wonderful, beautiful way to celebrate this weird fake spring we’re having ^~ There’s something to be said for taking yourself on dates, too – the boyfriend is wonderful company of course, but when I’m alone it’s almost meditative.

Sometime I’d love to run into you at a fresh!! I’m already such a fan of your blogs -and- I’m really looking forward to putting in my first ever globar order :D

Liz February 20, 2010

I live just around the corner from one of the Fresh locations in Toronto but I haven’t been in awhile – your post and photos are making me wonder if I may drop by tomorrow!

Kelsey February 20, 2010

that is a great ad!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 20, 2010

I like the campaign, but also think that some of the magazines (like Shape or Oxygen) have great success and inspirational stories, along with some really yummy recipes. Fashion magazines would be my first choice for discarding since they really represent a false idea of what a woman should look like (really … aren’t most models in the NEGATIVE numbers now??).

I really liked that Mediterranean platter – that would be my choice! Too bad they didn’t get your juice right – I would have complained!

K

Jenn (eating bender) February 20, 2010

I love your baggies! :)

I think that advertisement is pretty cool – definitely an interesting idea. I have to admit that I still love reading those magazines and get a lot of inspiration from them – but I do get discouraged every once in a while when I see a model missing a belly button because of airbrushing (yes, how insane is that?!) so I definitely see their point.

I think I’m off to make myself some banana soft serve! Have a great night, Angela!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 20, 2010

First and foremost, Enya is the BEST for meditation! (I’m like you in that I struggle to keep my mind quiet, but her music really helps!)

In terms of the ad, I think that it does a good job when it comes to disordered eating more so than eating disorders. Eating disorders are so complex, and they go far beyond dieting magazines and airbrushed models (although those things are certainly triggering for those with EDs!) But for those who struggle with the slightly less severe symptoms of disordered eating, an ad like that raises awareness and empowers women to go beyond obsessions of food and weight.

Jil February 20, 2010

I think the ad is great for the average person — it’s true those magazines project an ideal that is not realistic. I think for the a person with self-esteem issues, the ad might be “Oh, cool! Other girls think these magazines are crap, too!” but for someone with an eating disorder, though perhaps the original thoughts would be the same, the disorder obviously run deeper than a few magazines.

On a lighter note, all of your food looks amazing!! Looks like you had so much fun! :)

EatPlayNLove February 20, 2010

I agree with the campaign. I stopped buying magazines because I am tired of them trying to tell you how to get to your “dream size” (instead of Size Healthy!) by not eating for 2 weeks, when it’s about changing your entire lifestyle and not a diet for a few weeks. And it’s ridiculous how airbrushed some of the covers are… magazines are further and further away from reality these days.

I was really jealous of all the food! Looks sooo yummy!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 20, 2010

i think that advertisement is very bold in a really good way…there are so many times i’ve compared myself to women in magazines, it’s ridiculous! Viva la Size Healthy!

Alex February 20, 2010

Loved having lunch with you, girl! Just what I needed!! LOVED that you featured your happy customer… ;-)
Let’s not go so long without a meet up. xo

Ashley February 20, 2010

Whyyyy have I not made the banana soft serve yet. There is no excuse! I never buy enough bananas…silly!!!

Lauren @Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful February 20, 2010

Oh all the food looks soooo good. I wish I had restaurants like that around me. I love that advertisement. It is bold, but it makes a statement and I love it. We need more of that.

Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 20, 2010

Mmm the food looks SO good! I am a huge hummus lover too so I completely understand your obsession! :-)

About the ad.. I think it’s very effective yet also important to note that some magazines (a few) don’t belong in there. I don’t see it, but Marie Clare recently declared that they are going to be more careful about models and weight issues. They also have a new column featuring a “plus-size” fashionista showcasing her difficulties and successes with shopping. It’s really interesting!

Audrey February 21, 2010

I love the banana softserve. It’s so pretty in that fluted bowl with the cacao nibs.

I love the idea for the magazines. Obviously EDs are a lot deeper than a few magazines but the ad makes a bold statement–and I think that’s the point.

Noelle February 21, 2010

We are going to Toronto first week of March if you have other places to recomment that would be great! I mentioned you on my blog today! Thanks!

Ameena February 21, 2010

I wish Fresh would open up here in Los Angeles…I still remember how great my visit to the U of T location was and that was in November!

I too stopped buying magazines and when my subscriptions run out on a few of the others I am not going to renew. I just don’t feel the need to read them anymore! I prefer books.

Kari February 21, 2010

I love that ad :D

Simply Life February 21, 2010

what a delicious meal out!

Brittany February 21, 2010

What a fun meetup. It looks as though you all had a blast. Fresh looks delicious. I wish he had a place like that around here.

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham February 21, 2010

LOVE the idea of magazine dumping to “shed” our weight problems. Advertisements DO play a role in what is trendy and considered “beautiful”. As much as we women know in our minds that being that skinny is not necessarily natural or healthy, a lot of us can’t help but secretly wish we were that skinny. ::sigh::

I’m an American (specifically from the Philadelphia area), and I remember the first time I set foot in Toronto, I was so impressed by how CLEAN your city is! Wish Philly was that clean :)

Love your blog, by the way :)

jodie February 21, 2010

Looks like you had a wonderful outing. The ad campaign is very bold. Which brand of cocoa nibs do you buy?

Lindsay @cookingforaveganlover February 21, 2010

I love Fresh I am so craving their sweet potato fries and miso gravy.

Anne February 21, 2010

Yum! The one thing I miss the most about living in Toronto is Fresh. I can’t believe they have a new bowl!!!

Also, that ad campaign is brilliant, really makes its message clear IMO.

Page 1 of 212»