Valentine’s Day: Love it or Hate it?

Big salads rule!

IMG_0624

I love making salads in my huge Tupperware container. :)

IMG_0618

The Big Salad:

• 1 heart organic romaine
  • 1 cup chickpea stir fry (with zucchini, carrots, celery, sesame seeds)
  • Vitality Sprouts (see below)
  • 4-5 T salsa
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • EVOO + Red wine vinegar (dressing)
  • Ground black pepper
  • handful sunflower seeds

IMG_0625

Nothing is better than a big salad!

IMG_0626

The Vitality Sprouts from Whole Foods:

IMG_0621

It dawned on me after I bought these that I could probably MAKE sprouts on my own…fairly easily? Anyone know how? :) What a fun little science experiment that would be.

Dessert: Organic dark chocolate chips x 2…or 3…

IMG_0424

I am obsessed with chocolate lately. And Adore bars. Lock me up and throw away the key!

Valentine’s Day: Who Is It For?

Eric and I got into a discussion on Sunday about Valentine’s Day.

It is no secret that…

1) I love Valentine’s Day. I’m a huge romantic and I start thinking about it in early January!

2) Eric does not like Valentine’s Day and thinks it is a commercial holiday (I pout my lip when he says this!).

I agree about it being a commercial holiday, however I still love the fact that it is a day to devote entirely to your loved one. So many holidays are commercial now, but that doesn’t mean I can’t look forward to it anyways.

When I was single I would use the day as an excuse to spoil myself rotten. One single year I sent myself flowers and I smiled all week. It is all in the perspective.

Eric claims that Valentine’s Day is for women. In other words, men just kind of go along with the motions of the gifts, roses, etc., but they don’t really anticipate it as much as women do. Eric’s male coworkers are his reference group for his scientific survey. ;)

While he does enjoy Valentine’s Day, he thinks that we could celebrate our love on any day we wanted to. He is a person who likes to do things on his own terms and not feel outside pressure to do something. One rule we have is that I told him not to buy me flowers on V-Day. He did a couple times and I found out the price and we agreed to buy them when they were 1/4 the price (and in good shape!).

So the question remains…Is Valentine’s Day for women, men (let’s be real, they get something out of it too!), or both? How do you feel about it? If you are attached, how does your partner feel about it (honestly)?

Angela_Signature

I have found men who didn’t know how to kiss.
I’ve always found time to teach them.
~ by Mae West ~

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 8, 2010

I’ve been eating chocolate chips straight up lately too!

I’ve never been attached on Valentine’s Day so I have no idea what it’s like being in a relationship on the day :) It’s just another day for me!

2 Kayzilla February 8, 2010

I think the holiday goes both ways… in a different kind of perspective. Women see it as a romantic thing, full of yummy chocolates and sweet flowers, and lots of love-related things that pet our emotional side. From my fiancé’s perspective, he sees it as a time to show his feelings for me and make me happy by spoiling me on this day. In his words “I don’t care what it costs me, seeing you smile is what I live for.”

Ahh. You’d think the kid is bullshitting me or a very feminine guy, but he’s really not. He’s not very good at expressing himself through words, and he doesn’t want to scare off a girl by spoiling her with gifts or run himself into a financial hole that way, so these holidays basically give him a chance to say “Hey, I love you, and I want you to be happy. Please accept this gift and smile for me.”

For me, I just like it because there’s a lot of red and pink things, cute cards, and chocolate.

mmmm. Chocolate. I would be just as happy if he never got me anything on Valentines day, but the fact that he does it just something fun to look forward to.

Yeah, these holidays are hella commercialized, but if you take the time to just go with it and put your own perspective on it, it’s not so bad

And that’s all I gotta say about that. :)

3 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) February 8, 2010

Meh…I think I might feel differently about V-Day if it didn’t fall less than a month before our anniversary, but as it stands I don’t give two shits about it. That said, this year I am going to try to make it special for my girlfriends who are feeling down on themselves for not being in a relationship! Nothing wrong with spreading some love, right?

4 amanda@thegrainsofparadise February 8, 2010

My man sounds exactly like your man when it comes to V-Day but he more than understands that I will pout if he ignores it soooo…..for the last 4 years instead of going to dinner at a restaurant we head down to our favorite palm fringed beach at night with a bottle of wine. We save a ton of $$$ by doing this and I think it’s more romantic anyway :-) Aloha!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

that sounds fabulous!

Note to self: MOVE.

6 Jenny (Green Food Diaries) February 8, 2010

mmmm, I adore sprouts of all kinds!

7 Laura February 8, 2010

Hi Angela! I love valentines day but unfortunately my husband is the same of yours and believes it is just a commercial/hallmark thing. However, I will still make the effort with a gift and maybe book dinner somewhere nice because I don’t think there is anything wrong with an excuse to show someone how much you care.

Also, I have been reading your blog for a few months now and just wanted to say a huge thankyou for your recent post on binge eating. I have struggled a bit lately with overeating and it really helped me.

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

Glad it helped you Laura! :)

9 Kim K @ 12 Month Marathon February 9, 2010

Oh, Valentine’s Day. I’ve been out of the country on Feb. 14 for the past three years, and it completely slips my mind. There’s not much fuss about it in developing countries like Nepal and Nicaragua, I guess.

This year, I’ll treat myself to some of those little candy hearts and a guilty-pleasure movie. :)

10 pam landy February 9, 2010

I am still single, but Valentine’s day hasn’t ever been amazing for me because it is 3 days after my birthday. I haven’t found that guy that wants to spoil me for my birthday and Valentine’s day….yet :)

11 pam landy February 9, 2010

ps. I can’t wait to get my Adore bars; I ate the last one today…I need more!!!!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

Thy are in te air…flying at mock speed to get to you! ;)

13 pam landy February 9, 2010

so excited!!!!

14 Bree February 9, 2010

oh gosh Ange…that cracked me up about sending yourself flowers…you are too funny :-P

I love Valentine’s Day and so does my husband :-D But I agree with Eric that you don’t need an official holiday! In fact…we celebrate on 2 days every month that aren’t “official” but they mean something to us:

Every 6th of the month we celebrate our “monthly wedding anniversary”…so 2 days ago we celebrated our 44-month wedding anniversary hahaha :-P

…And every 12th of the month we celebrate being together because we went from being best friends to being a couple on 3/12/03…so in 4 days it will be our 83rd-month anniversary!

CRAZY, huh?? :-P

15 Bree February 9, 2010

and ACTUALLY…very few people know this but Warren and I were officially married on Valentine’s Day! We did it to get his fiance visa process going…but we celebrate our official anniversary when we had our REAL wedding in June…honestly I forget all the time that we made it official for the government on Valentine’s Day…it was only a few days away from when we got the papers we needed and we wanted to get the process going so we thought “hey, why not” :-P

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

ww how did you figure that out, im dizzy reading it! lol.

17 Bree February 9, 2010

haha well it started with our 1 month…2 month…and then it just snowballed :-P

18 Mo February 9, 2010

That is the cutest thing that I have ever heard of! I am oddly date-oriented so every day reminds me of something that happened on it in the past…. it drives people crazy. But to put a romantic spin on it is just adorable!

19 Cassie February 9, 2010

I’m the same way – i remember dates better than anything else. Unfortunately that means anniversaries with exes too – the 11/23 (and the 23rd of every month really…) will be forever tainted for me lol.

20 Carla Shorts February 9, 2010

Hey Angela,

I’m glad someone else shares my deep love of sprouts! You can grow them really easy (and cheapy, cheap, McCheaperson). They are awesome when the fruits and veggie section at the market is looking a little bare bones during the cold winter months! Thought you might be interested in this website! Crazy good information!!

Love your blog!
Carla

21 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) February 9, 2010

I am pretty much neutral towards Valentine’s Day. I’ve been with my boyfriend for 8 years and can honestly say that every one of those Valentine’s Days are not in my top 10 greatest moments with him. However, I agree that it’s nice to spend a little extra time with the one you love and like going to a nice dinner or cuddling up together just for fun.

Love the big salad! I’ve made sprouts before and they’re super easy! I think I found a youtube video to guide me – you should definitely give it a shot.

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

I so agree about the top 10 moments.

23 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 9, 2010

Salad looks delish. Question is, does it really hold you over very long?

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

Nope, hence chocolate :)
Actually the salad is about 600 calories (mainly due to chickpeas, EVOO, sesame and sunflower seeds. Deceiving isn’t it?

25 shalyn February 9, 2010

Laughed at the Valentine’s Day question. I think most men don’t love V. Day and blame commercialism etc etc..also my husband’s opinion for the last 16 years UNTIL-

I finally said (in possibly anger) “No one cares about your soapbox, when my friends ask what you did and I say you have a political stance on the day and don’t want to partake …well you look like an ass – just buy me a card!!”

He really listened and years following, he was super sweet..try this or just mention that the Leafs are a corporate giant manipulating poor men around the nation and should be avoided at all costs throughout the year..

26 Salina February 9, 2010

lmao! that is an awesome story!!!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

haha

28 Audrey February 9, 2010

The comments that Eric made (i.e., that it is a commercial holiday and that we should show our love everyday of the year) is the EXACT–like to the word almost–thing that my dad says. He calls it “a greeting card holiday”, meaning it is something invented to sell cards, flowers, chocolate, etc. (I don’t have a boyfriend so my dad and 6 brothers are the extend of my experience with men. Haha).

I, however, love valentines day. Sure we should show our love everyday, but don’t we often forget? it is nice to have an extra nudge to realize how much you love someone. I don’t think that love is limited to just a boyfriend, spouse, or fiance, though. Growing up, in my family we would make funny valentines to give to each other. I also love that it brightens up February so much–I’m all about pink and glitter!

29 Audrey February 9, 2010

P.S. I forget to mention how delicious your salad looks. I immediately started craving a salad after seeing it…and I just ate a huge one for dinner a couple hours ago!

As for the sprouts, I’ve seen lots of tutorials (Check out Kristen’s Raw blog, Meghan Telpner’s blog, or the Sunny Raw Kitchen) about how easy it is to make your own. Personally, I’ve gone so far as to buy the sprouting seed and some cheesecloth…but have yet to actually take the plunge. I guess I’m just afraid of failing and killing the baby seeds, maybe?

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

im quite scared too!

31 Krista February 9, 2010

I really like Valentine’s Day. However, my boyfriend has a similar view as Eric does, that it’s just a Hallmark holiday. But, this doesn’t stop him from acknowledging it because he knows it’s important to me. Although I know it irks him that my birthday is 3 days before Valentines, double whammy!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

BOOYAH!

33 Salina February 9, 2010

I think it is commercialism at its finest.. But I still like to celebrate the love between my husband and I, just in a non-commercialist way. This Valentines day I’m cooking up a super special dinner followed by a movie and possibly cuddles in the dark *wink wink*.. I believe that you should celebrate your love for that someone everyday, but having one day a year is just a little encouraging to actually do something about it.

ps. sprouts are freaking awesome!!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

Thats usually what we do- homecooked meal…going out to eat on Vday is a big hassel most of the time and the fod is half assed because they are so busy. At least that is the experience we have had!

35 Katie February 9, 2010

I make a batch of sprouts every week! Alfalfa seeds only take 4-5 days to sprout, so when I put one batch into the fridge, I start a new one. I spent $10 on a big bag of seeds (about 2 cups) about 9 months ago, and I still have at least 1/4 cup left. I sprout about 1 T a week. I don’t do anything fancy like those tutorials suggest. I didn’t even have to buy any new equipment. Here’s what I do:

In the evening, get a big glass jar (old applesauce jar or mason jar works great) and put in 1 T of seeds to sprout (I’ve done alfalfa, but broccoli are good and really healthy, as are lentils, chickpeas, radish – these are a little spicy, sunflower, etc). Add about 1 cup water and let sit overnight. In the morning, cut out a section of a pair of old nylons (or a thin piece of fabric, or cheesecloth if you have it), put over the top of the jar and secure with a rubberband or two. Dump water out (through the cloth), rinse the seeds off by running water over them a couple times. Store jar upside down (over a bowl) for the day. Rinse the seeds every night and every morning until they are the size you like. I like to leave mine in front of a window on the 4th day, so they get nice and green.

These are so much better than the store bought sprouts too! I highly recommend you try it!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

Sounds easy! What do you mean by store over a bowl?

37 Katie February 11, 2010

Leave the jar upside down over a jar, so the water can drain out. I don’t think this is crucial though. I have a post going up tomorrow about this! Thanks to you!

38 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 9, 2010

Big salads do rule!!!

39 erica February 9, 2010

first off, your salad looks delicious!!! i always see other people’s salads and think, “that looks good! i should eat more salads!” then when i make my own, it just never looks as pretty or tasty. hahaha.

secondly, i’m super excited for my glo bars, i hope they get here soon!

third, i have a love/hate relationship w/valentines day. when i was single it made me feel bad about myself watching friends and coworkers get flowers and gifts delivered to work/school….and when i was finally in a long term relationship during vday, my bf announces that vday isn’t a real holiday and it’s definitely not a gift-giving one. :( hahaha. i thought after all those tortuous years of watching girls in relationships get showered w/love on that day, i would finally experience that too…but nope. i’m not in a relationship feeling the same feelings. ahahaha, only now its worse b/c people will ask “what did you do for vday?” and i’ll just respond w/”nothing” then i’ll get asked why i did nothing….

ahhh, vday. how it can make some feel so loved and further point out the loneliness for others. we should boycott. hahaha.

40 thedelishdish February 9, 2010

i love love love vday because it’s a day that actually makes me think about ALL the people i love in my life…not necessarily just a significant other. even if it is way overdone, it’s always fun to get in the spirit of things and show your loved ones just how much they mean to you :)

41 Sportsgirl February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day. In fact, I love any excuse to celebrate anything! My husband is “meh” about it. He doesn’t care really LOL

42 Nicole February 9, 2010

I feel this way too, I will use any excuse to celebrate something!!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

same here…i would celebrate the invention of paperclips if I could

44 Nicole February 9, 2010

I suppose you could say I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. Of course I am all about a day that is based around love of all kinds, but I’m not down with the commercialism that the day seems to bring on. I don’t ever really celebrate either way!

45 Natasha February 9, 2010

I’m a bit torn on the Valentine’s thing. It’s nice to have a day to devote to LOVE, but then I like to be spontaneous. I feel like when there’s a designated day, we lose the in-the-moment aspect. Having said that I am looking forward to receiving flowers and going out to dinner with my fiance.

46 Jess February 9, 2010

I don’t care about Valentine’s Day and I think my boyfriend is pretty apathetic about it as well. I’m not much of a romantic in general, though. We don’t celebrate it at all.

Although, it’s always nice to have an excuse to eat lots of chocolate ;)

47 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 9, 2010

I love it. Like you, I have always spoiled myself too. But I am a hopeless romantic. Luckily, so is my hubby! :)

48 AGS February 9, 2010

Valentine’s Day *is* a stupid hallmark holiday. That doesn’t mean it can’t be fun. My husband and I both dislike the pressure, and for some odd reason have had huge fights on Valentine’s day the last couple years (I’m sure it’s coincidence, and not caused by the holiday itself).

We usually do cards, and we usually go out to dinner the night before or after. I hate prix fix dinners, and the difficulty of getting a table at the places we like, so celebrating a day in advance works well. Probably my husand is more romantic than me, and is sure to want to celebrate somehow. . .

49 Miz February 9, 2010

I always hated until I became a mom.
Now Im loving it because she loves it :)

heart shaped EVERYTHING shall be hitting our domicile this week.

xo xo,

Miz

50 christie, honoring health February 9, 2010

I think my husband and I are pretty neutral about v-day. We might do something special like have a date night but other than that, we don’t really go all out and celebrate.

51 Shannon February 9, 2010

We don’t go all out for Valentine’s Day, but we also do something special. It may be a commercial holiday, but it can still be a day to stop and reflect about how grateful you are for your spouse/romantic partner…or for any loved ones in your life.

52 MAJL February 9, 2010

We think it is a “greeting” card holiday which has evolved to turn into a consumerist practice. We don’t feel like we need to dedicate one day to celebrate our love or be romantic when we do small things that add up big time each day. But then again, we have a “no gift rule” for all holidays to fund our travels which we value more than a card or dinner at a restaurant in our city.

53 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day! What’s wrong with a some flowers and candy? Plus, pink and read hearts on on display everywhere. Even when I’ve been single, I LOVE Valentine’s Day. It’s not just about you and your significant other, it’s about LOVE. Each year I was single, my dad would take me out to dinner, and I always had a great time. I never felt bad about myself because I wasn’t dating anyone. I never understood why girls get so down this time of year if they’re unattached. Celebrate with your single friends or your family!

54 Carms February 9, 2010

Hey! I LOVE your blog as always!

About the sprouts, Soak the beans in water over night, in the morning rince them out , rince them 1-2 a day.And soak them every night. They will be done in a week! Yum- they are soo good!YUM!

55 Rebekah February 9, 2010

Sprouts are so fun and easy to make! I highly recommend http://www.sproutpeople.com! They have a great intro package that includes everything you need to include the instructions and a large and nice variety of different sprout mixes and the sprouting container! It is also much cheaper then buying ready made sprouts and it is fun to try the different mixes they make. (and they sell cat grass you can sprout!)

56 Kate February 9, 2010

Valentine’s day was never a really big deal for me, but when I was single I used to go to Whole Foods and get a full 5-course meal (for one of course) and spoil myself with a bottle of red wine, the meal, dessert (of course), and chick flicks while my kitty layed by me. Now my boyfriend and I cook dinner and have a couple drinks and a yummy dessert. We don’t do gifts or anything like that. Usually our groceries for the meal is enough to buy a gift! And lets face it, we’d rather eat than get stuff! :)

57 Liz February 9, 2010

I’m really not a fan of Valentine’s day. I find it to be a very depressing day if you are single and an overhyped day where you feel you need to do something grand if you are in a couple. My bf probably enjoys it more than me to be honest.

58 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s day because it reminds me of being a little girl and getting so excited to pass out Valentine’s day cards, and getting a chocolate peanut butter heart from my grandparents every year :-) My parents would always do a Valentine’s Day scavenger hunt for me and my sister…I need to see if my husband will do one for me now that I’m an adult :-D

59 Ricki February 9, 2010

Are you sure Eric and my HH aren’t related? ;) Like many “let me show you how much I care about you” events, V-Day seems to be embraced (no pun intended!) more by women. But that’s not to say there aren’t some hoplessly romantic guys out there, is it?

60 caitlin February 9, 2010

even if you are single, you still have people in your life to love – your parents, your friends, your siblings. valentine’s day isn’t just for romance love!

61 caitlin February 9, 2010

also, the husband knows it is his job to plan vday and i expect a big whoo-ha. LOL.

62 Danielle (Coffee Run) February 9, 2010

Those are sunflower seeds?! They’re so tiny!
I wouldn’t say valentines day is just for women, but I do agree it’s a commercial holiday. But hey, it’s a good excuse to get chocolate :D

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

nope those are sesame seeds..you can’tsee the sunflower seeds in the pic b/c I put them in after haha

64 kalli@fitandfortysomething February 9, 2010

That is my kind of salad!

I would have to agree with Eric.

I think it sets women up for disappoinment when men don’t live up to the commerrcial expectation…..

65 Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear February 9, 2010

I think that like everything else V-Day can definitely be too commercialized and people can start to feel the pressure. It’s never been a day that I have looked forward to but I always make the best out of it. Last year when I worked in a HUGE office, every time flowers would come in, myself and my cubemate would be like, “Oh I’ll take them right over here! It’s me you’re looking for!!!” Making a joke of it made the day more tolerable for a single girl.

66 Katie February 9, 2010

I really want to love Valentine’s Day but I think it creates unreal and too high expectations on both men and women. My husband (like yours) doesn’t really like the holiday and we never do too much. Each year I expect (well maybe more like wish) that we do something super romantic but that never really comes about. I love the idea of having a day devoted to your loved one but I think if a couple can create a great tradition for that day then it helps to get rid of some of the pressure that comes along with Valentine’s Day.

PS. I love the idea that if your single it’s a day to spoil yourself.

67 Laura Georgina February 9, 2010

I’m definitely not a Valentine’s day kinda girl–I’d rather be surprised with fun things at random times of the year and I really don’t like the getting of flowers/chocolates/romantic cards! Thank goodness the husband is just as anti-Valentine’s day as me. We also have my birthday in January, his in March, and our getting-together and wedding anniversary in April, so Valentine’s is just too much for us.

Having said that, we usually have a nice meal at home on that day anyway, just because it’s a good excuse to buy and drink fancy wine :-)

68 Molly February 9, 2010

I just made my first batch of alfalfa sprouts. It was so easy and made a huge jar of them. (They are almost gone two days later) You can buy a jar with a mesh lid for sprouting at your local health food store, and you can also buy seeds for sprouting. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time and I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner.

69 Lauren @ Eater not a runner February 9, 2010

I don’t think either me or my boyfriend really care about valentines, for us it is just an excuse to go out to a fancy dinner!

70 Kristie February 9, 2010

For my hubby and me it is a chance to splurge on ourselves in a way that we wouldn’t do on just any other day. We plan things to do together – this year a weekend at a Bed & Breakfast – so there is no pressure on either one of us to plan an amazing surprise that the other will just love since we’re planning something together that is guaranteed ;)

71 T February 9, 2010

Here’s a video that shows you how to make sprouts. I was tempted to make them myself except I haven’t searched for any seeds yet.

Love your blog. I just found it a couple of weeks ago! I’m going to try making the crunchy quinoa cereal this weekend if I can find the ingredients!

72 Sam February 9, 2010

Not a Valentine’s Day person. My husband and I feel the way Eric does. Celebrate your love every day and buy your special person flowers as a thoughtful surprise on a day when they’re not expected and when they’re not twice the price they normally are!

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2010

I always tell eric NOT to buy me flowers on V-Day. He did one year, told me the price (after I begged him haha) and I said ‘never again’

74 Ashley February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day – but not for the fact of having dated my fiance for 7 years! I like to go back to elementary school thinking, and giving Valentine’s to those around me. The Love of Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to be about those who are in a relationship, and those who aren’t! It’s a day to show love to the people around you who mean the most to you.

I plan on giving a Valentine’s gift to all of my family members, and especially my niece – since Valentine’s Day will be her 1st birthday!

75 Sarah February 9, 2010

i’m typically not the biggest fan of valentine’s day but this year, i’m going to be my valentine!!

76 Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 9, 2010

I can’t not like a holiday that’s all about showing your love for other people :) Although I’ve never had a particularly romantic Vday. I do love Valentine’s cards and candy hearts though!

77 Midgetkeeper February 9, 2010

My Husband feels the exact same way yours does about Valentine’s Day. He calls it a “fake” holiday. Our first year of marriage he didn’t acknowledge it at all, other then saying Happy Valentines Day. Now it might have been pregnancy hormones, or just being a girl in general but I was really upset. Of course the next year he made up for it with a sweet card and flowers. He is a man of few words and the first time he told me he loved me he explained to me that he probably wouldn’t say it often in words, but rather he would show me every day with his actions. He has followed through on his word. I think that’s why he doesn’t care for Valentine’s day, because he feels we should make our significant others feel the love every day. Not just with presents, but rather with our actions. I’ll be cooking a nice meal at home for us that we’ll enjoy once the kids are bed. Cheaper, and more intimate.

78 Betsy February 9, 2010

I can’t say I don’t like Valentine’s Day, but I don’t hate it either. I guess I’m indifferent! I don’t want or expect expensive presents from my boyfriend. A heartfelt card is good enough for me (and maybe some chocolate!) You made a really great point about buying flowers, though. I think I’ll tell my guy not to get me flowers either! I agree with what Eric said, you should show your love to the special people in your life everyday!
As far as celebrating goes, this year we’re keeping it low-key as always, by making a pizza together. We both LOVE pizza and making dinner together is not something we get to to do ever since we both still live at home. I will also make a special dessert. I’m thinking lava cake and some choco covered strawberries!

79 Nicci@NiftyEats February 9, 2010

I love Valentines Day!! Great day to show someone you love them.I usually bake or do a good deed for someone I love. Tome, it’s not just about buying gifts.

80 Jenn @ Livewellfit February 9, 2010

I do agree that Valentines day is a slightly manufactured holiday in terms of the expectation built on it and the advertisements. Personally, I like to use it as a day where you can tell anyone and everyone how much you love them! It can be a wonderfully romantic day but it can also be a fab day to see good friends, close family or someone new!

The expense kills me though :)

81 Krista (chefgirl) February 9, 2010

I make sprouts just like in Katie’s comment. Except that I don’t bother turning the jar upside down over the bowl. I usually keep them in a dark place (cupboard, etc.)until the last day. You can get all kinds of big old mason jars at thrift stores (they are gorgeous as display/storage containers for grains and seeds), I buy cheesecloth at the dollar store, then secure it on with a rubber band from a bunch of broccoli(yep, I’m cheap!). You can pick up a small bags of alfalfa seeds at the health food store. But my favourite thing to sprout is chickpeas and mung beans, do them is separate jars; the sprouts won’t get too long, maybe a couple centimetres. Then I rinse them off and toss with some smushed garic, umeboshe vinegar and just a touch of olive oil (if you want an asian version replace the garlic with ginger and the olive oil with toasted sesame oil.) You can seriously make sprouts anywhere. I live in the Canadian rockies and made them once on a backpacking trip in an old nalgene bottle, washing them in glacier water. So delicious when all you’re eating is dehydrated food. I hope this inspires you to make something yummy!

82 Amanda February 9, 2010

Definitely a woman’s holiday. Men go along for the ride, b/c they know if they don’t they’re in trouble. I’ve yet to meet a man who actually enjoys or likes the holiday. (And the ones who claim to only do b/c diamonds/flowers = lovin’.)

83 Laura B. February 9, 2010

I completely agree Amanda! Men don’t really like it but if they ignore it then it’s a bad scene. I’ve had some boyfriends make it special by getting me a massage gift certificate or flowers and dinner and guys who just blow it off. I never forget the ones who blow it off-deep down I think women want it to be special, the holiday is all about women anyway, and we are all romantics at heart.

84 Sophie @ yumventures February 9, 2010

My boyfriend also thinks that Valentine’s Day is commercial, and in reality it is, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy it! Everyone says we should “celebrate relationships every day” but really, we don’t! Everyone gets busy with work and other activities, and it is not often someone receives flowers or buys a gift for no reason. I LOVE Valentine’s Day too! My boyfriend and I have agreed that we will only buy each other gag gifts…the whole point is to have fun and enjoy our time together! I figure its a good trade off to still be able to celebrate but not make it so mushy that he would want no part of it =)

85 Melissa S. February 9, 2010

I am not a fan of vday…but i think that comes from working in a chocolate store for years. you come to hate people who are so insanely rude when they’re screaming at your for prettier looking chocolate covered strawberries. it makes the holiday not-so-happy/fun!

i do like my chocolate though…too bad i have no boy now to spoil me with such things. although, when i don’t have a significant other to spoil myself, i make sure to send cards/stuff to my now widowed grandma! she always appreciates the little things, even if i’m 3000 miles away.

86 skinnyrunner February 9, 2010

i think its more for women but my husband enjoys getting little gifts and special things too. why not have a day to celebrate love, commercial or not?

87 Raw Candy February 9, 2010

Making sprouts is sooo easy (and inexpensive)! All you need is a big mason jar, some cheese cloth, and whichever seeds you want to sprout. Alfalfa is always good, but I just tried green lentil sprouts and they are really tasty and full of protein.

I’m going to do a sprouting blog post soon if you want any tips :)

88 teri [a foodie stays fit] February 9, 2010

I LOVE Valentine’s Day! And my husband likes it too – good man. :) I love all the decorations, the emphasis on love, and the dark chocolate. :)

89 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 9, 2010

I’m pretty into any Holiday, just because I’m cheesy and like to celebrate stuff. Me and my bf used to alternate years and we had to surprise each other with a celebration. But this year we’re really buckling down with our budget so we figure we’ll just hang out at home together this year.

90 Jennifer February 9, 2010

I have an interesting situation on Valentine’s day….it is also my husband’s birthday (this year being the big 40!!). So, I like to look at it more for celebrating his birthday, than making a to-do over Valentine’s day. He and I are both in agreement (with Eric) that we can celebrate each other any day we want and don’t like the whole Sweetest Day, Valentine’s Day, etc. commercialism (and this also extends to the craziness of Christmas, too, so it isn’t restricted to the “love” holidays for us). I don’t want anything to take away from his birthday, but he still wants to do a little something for me for Valentine’s day. He knows not to get me flowers, tho, as we agree with both of you that the cost is too high! Not to mention, I love flowers other than roses and we can buy bouquets of them at any grocery store throughout the year for way less than florists. This year, as I said is my honey’s 40th birthday, we are going to try out an Indian restaurant to which we have a gift certificate. I am also planning to make breakfast for him…a new recipe for a sweet, spinach pancake from CarrotsnCake!!! And we would love to go ice skating at a local waterpark, if the weather permits. We have also started date nites this year…January was a cheese sampling at home with 5 or 6 cheeses, 2 types of crackers and a baguette, along with 2 wines. February is a trip to see some visiting Tibetan monks and on to a local microbrewery for some eats and beer sampling. March will be a small, intimate Spanish guitar and jazz concert at a historical theatre nearby. (I decided that in 2010 I wanted to do lots of “firsts” ~ dedicated date nites, cheese sampling, an Indian restaurant, the microbrewery, experiencing Tibetan monks, the historical theatre/opera house are what we have so far.) It has been VERY fun coming up with the date nite activities and it is fun looking forward to the actual date!!!

91 katie February 9, 2010

i’m admittedly a fan of valentines day – i think it’s a fun holiday to show people you care about them…the chocolate candy is only an added benefit ;) yes, it’s been commercialized, but you could say the same thing about every other holiday there is, and i think people always enjoy getting something personal in the mail, especially when it’s from a close friend or loved one.

i will also admit that a few years ago [when my bf was down in philly and i was in nyc] that i did laundry on valentines day, and it was the perfect night to do it since no one else was ;)

92 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 9, 2010

I LOVE big salads like that! Keeps your mouth guessing and so they’re such a healthy AND satisfying meal :). I love Valentines Day when I’m single and when I’m taken. With so much negativity in this world I think it’s wonderful to have a day all about celebrating LOVE!

93 Leah @ L4L February 9, 2010

I’m like Eric, I don’t really care for V-Day because it is so commercial. I feel like getting chocolates or flowers is more meaningful on a random day just because he’s thinking of you instead of V-Day because there is a society imposed obligation to do so.

That being said, the boy and I are going out to a nice dinner and getting dressed up but it is mostly for our monthly date night. We aren’t exchanging gifts at all though. Just splurging on a bottle of wine at the restaurant instead.

94 The Yoga Girl February 9, 2010

I think it’s in men’s genetic code to think Valentine’s day is a commercial holiday! My boyfriend is exactly the same. However, this year we are taking advantage of the Family Day Holiday in Canada (on the 15th) and taking a long weekend together!

I’ll pretend that it’s for a romantic Valentine’s day getaway and he’ll pretend that it’s a getaway to take advantage of the long weekend :o) Both happy.

95 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 9, 2010

A big salad is my most favorite lunch. I put any and all veggies in it. SO good!

I’ve never been a huge Valentine’s Day fan, though my husband takes it seriously. I hate that there’s nothing you can get a man that’s comparable to flowers and chocolate. I definitely agree that it’s mostly about the woman.

96 megan February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day. But really, I love any holiday. it’s just fun for a day to be a little bit different. We dont’ do much to celebrate (we’re in money saving mode), but I”ll probably make some sort of chocolate dessert, and we might go out to brunch after church. Really, it’s just fun to have a holiday!

97 Ellen February 9, 2010

I used to love V-Day. I too am a huge romantic!

But my husband, like Eric, hates it because it’s just another commercial holiday….Plus he’s from Argentina, where they really don’t celebrate V-Day.

We celebrated it the first few years of being together, but it was mostly one-sided (me!), and when he did do something, I knew it was because I practically guilted him into it!

This year–I’m giving up V-day completely, and I finally feel ok about that!

(Don’t get me wrong–my husband is an amazing, loving, sweet man!)

98 Grace February 9, 2010

You just reminded me how much I love chickpeas on my salad–haven’t had that in a while.

About V day, my hubby’s line of thinking is the same as yours:( however, since the anniversary of the day we met is two days before, he has to celebrate a little along the romantic lines. But basically we just treat ourselves to a nice dinner somewhere.

99 Ally (Exercise and Pies) February 9, 2010

My boyfriend thinks valentines day is “a day of love and for the woman in the relationship” I on the other hand do agree that it is a day of love but I wish guys would be more included in it… i finally talked my boy into letting me get something for him without him feeling guilty. He went all out and got me something from Tifany’s (he let that slip lol) and is paying for dinner but i’m just going to write a love letter and buy some ‘fun’ things for us… I just think it should be about LOVE and not really about the gifts (the gifts are a nice plus tho ;))

100 Paige @ Running Around Normal February 9, 2010

MMmmm chocolate. I think I’m on a permanant chocolate kick. In my opinion Valentine’s Day is mainly for girls as far as gifts, flowers, mushy lovey dovey stuff goes. However, you’re right – guys get something out of it too – if you know what I mean ;) hahaha

101 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 9, 2010

we don’t really care either way, but definitely take some time on valentine’s day to just love eachother. not that we don’t do that every day, but it’s a little more intentional on Valentine’s Day. we also see it as an excuse to eat really great food, too :)

102 Julie @SavvyEats February 9, 2010

We usually recognize Valentine’s Day with a special dinner and small gifts, but we don’t make a huge deal out of it. This year, though, Dan bought me a plane ticket to go visit him in New York over the weekend as my Valentine’s Day gift! Since we’re living in different parts of the country until June, this is the best V-Day gift ever! :)

103 Mo February 9, 2010

I have never really cared one way or another about Valentines day. But my husband is quite into it, which is adorable. He even puts one of those greeting ads in the newspaper every year! Who does that? :-D

104 Amy Ramos February 9, 2010

Well, my husband goes through this dilemma every year. Why? Because my birthday is the day before so to him, it is double whammy to his wallet. I remember when we were first dating he got a dozen roses. He thought he would be “smart” and give me 6 on on my bday and the other 6 on Valentine’s Day. Let’s just say that was the first & last time he did it.
Anywhoo, now that we are an old married couple ;-), we really do not go all out. We get each other a card, a small gift and usually have dinner at home. I don’t like getting roses or chocolate on V Day b/c I can get those any other day of the year for so much cheaper. I don’t like going out b/c it is sooo crowded and overpriced. Also, why overcharge people for the same food you serve. I do think it is a hallmark holiday as we call it here. I prefer to enjoy our anniversary to remember our commitment to our marriage and love.
I think this day is for those who are dating or just in a new relationship.
My dad would get us kids (I am the oldest of three) Valentine’s Day cards and I remember that like yesterday. I continue the tradition by sending him a card every year.

105 Maureen February 9, 2010

I have a slightly tainted view on Valentines day. My first as a married woman he forgot, my last as a married woman he asked for a divorce, although I am sure his girlfriend thought that it was romantic :-). I was dating someone for a while and he did not do Valentines day so that was a bust. Now I am on my own and do believe except for the little cinnamon hearts it is just another day. :-)

106 Jenna Z February 9, 2010

Sprouting your own sprouts is super-simple. I have a three-tray sprouter but as others have said a glass jar works just as well. I find seeds to sprout in bulk at our local health food store (it’s near the grains and seeds in bins).

107 Katie February 9, 2010

I have to go with your husband on this one. I’d rather show (and be shown) love every day in little ways that don’t cost a dime.

108 Angela February 9, 2010

I love valentines day! The husband and I tend to keep it low key, I make dinnner and dessert and we watch a movie and spend the day together. I think it’s nice to have a day dedicated to love, I think it makes you stop and think about how much you love the person you are with.

109 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) February 9, 2010

Dan asked me how I feel about Valentine’s Day last night, and I have to say that I love it! A holiday that revolves around love, chocolate, and the color pink? Sounds good to me! :)

110 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 9, 2010

It’s an excuse to put off other things and just enjoy each other’s company haha.

111 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 9, 2010

As much as I hate to say it, i think that V-Day is mostly for women. But not completely. I DO think you should enjoy each other’s company and she your bf/gf/wife/husband that you love them every day but it’s nice to have one day set aside specifically for that.
I also have to admit that i’m MUCH more of a fan of it when I’m not single. Meh. This is the first V-Day in 5-6 years that I’m single. I’m ok with that but it gives you a new perspective.

112 Jill February 9, 2010

I hate Valentine’s day. Too many expectations and too many disappointments. Why save up loving gestures for one day? My husband and I have never celebrated Valentine’s day and instead we give little surprises to each other throughout the year. However, one holiday we do celebrate is Chocolate day (a.k.a. Feb 15) when all the Valentine’s day chocolates go on sale! Yum!

113 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 9, 2010

I think valentines day can be for both, I mean it’s a day to celebrate love, whether it be your family, friends or significant other! I’m not a HUGE fan because I do think it is a little commercial, but it’s nice to spend a day devoted to love with your loves =D

xo
K

114 Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel February 9, 2010

I definitely think it is mostly a woman’s holiday!

My husband goes along with it “because he has to” and could not care less about it….although he feels that way about all holidays and I look at all holidays as an excuse to have fun, give gifts, and celebrate something!

Glad to see I am not the only person who fills a plastic storage container with salad! It always feels so wrong when I do it….but otherwise my big ole salads fall off the plate!

115 Sophia Pflieger February 9, 2010

I love everything about Valentines day, but I didn’t when I was single. I love to make my boyfriend feel special, and so super corny, ridiculously romantic stuff!

P.S. You are such an inspiration to live a healthy lifestyle!
Your blog is wonderful and your Glo Bars look awesome.
I am also a fellow Canadian!

Sophia,

116 Stacy Cina February 9, 2010

I used to poo poo Valentine’s Day as I’ve been single on the holiday most of my life. But my mom and sister started this thing where we exchange cards, and my mom ALWAYS get us gifts. Its so cute! And really the story of St. Valentine is about spreading love, not just ‘Romantic Love’. The whole romantic thing is the commerical part of it. I like to appreciate it for what it is. Lots of pretty pink and red items, chocolates etc. And knowing that spring is coming :)

117 Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 9, 2010

I love Valentines Day because it’s an awesome time to celebrate my love for the hubby. I don’t care what we do and I certainly don’t want chocolates just so long as we’re together:)

Sprouts are super easy to sprout. hehe

Just get a jar, add seeds (you can find them at the grocery store) fill the jar with water, drain the water, let it sit over night. Fill it with water again, drain it, let it sit over night. And before you know it you’ll have a jar full of sprouts!

118 jodes February 9, 2010

sprouts are super easy to make, you just get the seeds put them in a big jar with a piece of cloth that water will strain through ie;cheese cloth,place seeds in jar, tie the cloth around the lid of the jar with a elastic band, rinse seeds 3 times in jar then turn upside down for a day, repeat for 3 days and tada! you will have sprouts!

119 Jessica February 9, 2010

I celebrate everything!! If it’s Chinese New Year, I download traditional music to my computer, order take-out and celebrate. Last year for Cinco de Mayo, I cooked Mexican food, hung decorations from the ceiling and rented “The Three Amigos,” to watch with my honey. Basically if it’s a day, I want to celebrate it and my man loves not knowing when he’s going to come home and find out that we’re joining the Dutch or the French or Italians in celebrating something. If it makes you happy to plan a fun Valentine’s Day, then I say do it.

There is a website for what different days are for. Apparently today is “Toothache Day” so I guess I’ll be buying new toothbrushes after work. Here’s the link if you want to see what the rest of February has in store.

120 Kelly February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day. My fiance and I dont’ make a big deal of it, but I still think it’s fun to send my friends valentines and go out to dinner with my fiance etc. I know love COULD be celebrated every day, but thats like saying we should do away with mother’s day cuz moms should be celebrated every day. SHOULD be, but aren’t- so lets have a day for it!

121 Hannah February 9, 2010

I have always liked the idea of valentines day because I’m such a sucker for any thing romantic! I don’t think my boyfriend hates valentines day, but I don’t think he loves it either. I always make sure to do something special for him so he always gets something out of it! But I think he secretly gets into all that gushy romantic stuff because he ends up planning surprises for me :)

122 Leah February 9, 2010

I make salads in my big tupperware container too! Theyre SO good!

I think my boyfriend is more excited about Valentines Day that I am. Dont get me wrong, I love Valenties day, but I dont think its necessary to go out and have a big fancy dinner or anything. He’s all into that, he’s got dinner booked at our favorite restaurant (which I AM excited for) and I had to talk him out of booking a hotel because its a waste of money.
He’s kind of the girl in our relationship though so maybe thats why? lol

123 Sara February 9, 2010

My husband is totally against Hallmark manufactured holidays, which is where he puts Valentine’s Day. So when we got married on February 10th (being the romantic that he is) he told me that we could celebrate one or the other…our anniversary or Valentine’s Day. I always choose our anniversary :)

But seriously if I really cared about Valentine’s Day we would celebrate it — he’s kind of a push over ;)

124 Kris February 9, 2010

Pete is not a fan of V-Day either :(

I love it….but I hate getting flower’s on V-Day. $100 for roses is crazy and I would rather put that money toward a nice dinner or something special :)

125 megan February 9, 2010

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet or not, but growing sprouts is actually very easy to do yourself. You can go to sites like http://www.sproutpeople.com and buy starter kits. Sprouts will start growing within a week!

126 Michal February 9, 2010

I love valentines day so much! I love hearts, and roses and chocolate yum!

127 Lauren February 9, 2010

I love any and every holiday…that’s just me! :) Waddup ‘Family Day’! haha

128 Miriam February 9, 2010

All my singles girlfriends actually hates valentine day, they actually organise a dinner on saturday inviting ONLY the singles ladies (or the ones who are alone anyway). For my part, I’ve always hated valentine day, single or not. Single I feel bad because I am single and with a boyfriend I feel bad for everybody who is alone. I wish this holiday could symbolise LOVE with cap letters! Means love in general, not only romanticaly but love including family, friends and well, eveybody! So nobody could be left behind! :)

129 Jaime February 9, 2010

I think this might be the first V-Day that FH has actually been home since we’ve been together. In the past he’s kind of rolled his eyes, but we have gone for a couple of nice dinners. Pretty sure no cards or flowers though! (I too despise getting overpriced flowers…I always tell him to use the money for something more useful and to just surprise me with flowers some other time of the year!).

This year he is home but it hasn’t even been mentioned. I’m trying to decide whether I should bring it up or just wait and see if he does anything. hehe. That seems a bit passive though!

130 Elizabeth February 9, 2010

I absolutely LOVE Valentine’s Day, and I think I have my parents to thank for that. Every year growing up, my brothers, sister and I would find a special Valentine and some goodies at our place at the breakfast table. It was a day for everyone who loved anyone, not just for those “in” love.

(Oh gosh, I’m rambling)… it wasn’t until I was 17 and studying as an exchange student in Italy that I realized not everyone celebrated with the same sort of universality. I brought Valentine’s Day gifts for my host family, which included two men in their twenties. They accepted my gifts awkwardly, and then one blurted out “Valentine’s Day is for lovvvvers.”

I could have died. Hahaha. :)

131 Fattie Fatterton February 9, 2010

Future Hubby is much more of a romantic than I am. He wanted to buy me a diamond bracelet for Valentine’s Day, but I said no – for one thing, I am really hard on any jewelry that is on my hands or wrists just in my daily life. For another, my wrists are huge and no matter what he bought, he would have to have some sort of adjustment made. I proffered the idea of a diamond necklace, but then we decided on a romantic getaway instead. Those are my favorite – time with my honey, away from all of the stress. :D

132 Sarah February 9, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day. I think it’s overmarketed, cliched, and ALWAYS a let down some how, but I just love it all the same. My fiance is one of those, “I love if you love it” types when it comes to holidays, so he does what he can, but he’s never been incredibly romantic about this particular holiday. That’s why, this year, instead of getting all crazy, I’m focusing instead on spending time together and appreciating the ways he expresses his love on the other 364 days of the year. I will try my best not to be mean if my bathtub isn’t filled with rose petals, etc. ,etc :)

133 Joelle (The Pancake Girl) February 9, 2010

I like Valentine’s day! :) It def is a matter of perspective.. this is the first year I’m attached/have a valentine for real for the holiday, so I’m extra excited!

134 Cassie February 9, 2010

i really dont like the commercial aspect of v-day, and neither does the fiance. we never do gifts, etc. we were chatting about it yesterday though, and it always seems that we do something fun on v-day anyway! what a coincidence. the first few years we always went to an sju bball game (we were usually the only ones there… i guess most girls dont want to sit in a smelly gym on v-day!) one year we went to see the daily show with jon stewart, and this year we’ll be headed to NYC to watch a NY Rangers game – his fave :) it was a christmas present though, so that doesn’t even count as v-day hehe. either way its a good excuse to do something fun – coincidence or not!

135 GIGI February 9, 2010

Ha! I think I have been single every single valentine’s day in my entire life… 22 years… This obviously means I have never had a relationship for more than a year, but I’m OK with that – I am just too busy and have other goals at the moment, but it will happen some day!

Oh but last Valentine’s Day I saw the movie “He’s just not that into you” and well… my name happens to be GiGi, so Gennifer Goodwin really gave ALL GiGi’s a bad reputation of being whiney, needy, etc… and I’m NOT!!! ha ah!!! Made me slightly depressed on that day last year… maybe cause I went a lone too?! ha ha ha!

136 Jolene February 9, 2010

My husband and I think exactly like you and Eric do … my hubby thinks that it is a commercial holiday that could be celebrated any day, and refuses to go to dinner on the actual “Valentine’s Day.” I, on the other hand, think it’s fun!

137 ilham February 9, 2010

dear angela, u can make ur own sprout. Here is a website of a talented woman who cooks vegetarian and her food is sooo tasty.. the website is: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com . She made a salad with the sprouts and showed how to make ur own.. she has a youtube channel as well.
Take care.
Love.

138 Jen February 10, 2010

I like Valentine’s Day and so does my boyfriend. He got quite upset when I told him I would have to spend most of it this year holding rehearsals.
Instead of buying a bunch of flowers we buy a pot plant so it can go in the garden (which we are currently working on) and last much longer.

139 Brittany February 10, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day. I do agree that it’s a bit more for women than men, but I always get Isaac a present too. He’s got a hard task to make it extra special because it’s also my birthday. That’s probably one of the reasons I love it so much!

140 Anais February 10, 2010

I love Valentine’s Day :) This year I’m actually single for the first time in a looong time but I’m still excited! This year I’m celebrating the love I have for my friends and it’s just as fun!

141 Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 10, 2010

While I always tell my husband that we should do something on Valentine’s Day, we both think that it’s a commercial holiday. I mean, why should we devote ONE DAY to doting on our loved ones? Why can’t we do that any time throughout the year?

It’s the same thing as Christmas. I love the atmosphere – the snow falling, the carols, the hot chocolate or hot cider, being with loved ones by the warmth of the fire – and don’t like how it’s turned into a commercial holiday where there is nary a mention of Jesus (the whole point of Christmas) and all people are worried about is presents.

That being said, this year we plan to go to a movie on Saturday – NOT V-day – and just spend the weekend as we usually do … having fun and spoiling our dogs. LOL!

OK – I’ll get off my horse now!

K

142 Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen February 14, 2010

Sprouting is awesomely fun, super easy and mighty cost effective. I have a video here: http://meghantelpnerblog.com/2009/09/24/sprout-sprout-let-it-all-out/