I’m Not So Good With Blogging Lingo…

I have sort of a random question!

I have been seeing the phrase ‘nom, nom, nom, nom’ all over the blogosphere lately. Does anyone know where it originated? Also, what does it mean? It is just supposed to be the sound of someone eating good food…really fast?? lol. :mrgreen: Please tell me I’m not the only one who has wondered about this!! I’m not so great with blogging lingo…

I had to laugh because the other day I was reading nom, nom, nom and I realized that I make this totally WEIRD noise in my head when I read it. I’M. SO. WEIRD. Seriously..!

It goes like this

‘NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM’

and I say it really fast in my head. hahahaha. Ok, moving on to less embarrassing things…

IMG_0250

I made another batch of the In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie burgers. I doubled the batch this time because the last two were gone…in a day. I’ve been known to eat 4 patties at once, straight out of the oven. To which Eric replies, ‘Ahhh are you going to save me any…?’

I had two slices of Ezekiel bread with tomato paste (sup, Lycopene!), hummus, and tomatoes:

IMG_0234

This patty = Love.

IMG_0242

Fountaine Santé Hummus = Love.

IMG_0244

I forgot to mention that I got a new book called Super Eating by Ian Marber.

IMG_0260

Basically, in a nutshell the book is about how all kinds of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients interact with one another and either enhance or diminish the absorption of another. For example, take vitamin C and D with calcium to enhance calcium absorption. It really makes me see my food in a new way and to think about ways I can maximize the nutrients from my food. I’ve been up until midnight the past couple nights reading it! I LOVE reading non-fiction health books. It is pretty much all I read. I used to be pretty crazy over fiction when I was younger though…I think I should get back into it one of these days!

IMG_0262

I will have to do a post on the book soon…It’s amazing.

IMG_0233

My Aunt’s vegan lasagna that she made for me Sunday (I need to get the recipe stat!) It had mushrooms, spinach, onion, tomato, broccoli, etc.

IMG_0236

Dessert was a huge bowl of cantaloupe…literally. ;) With a dollop of soy yogurt. I need to buy cantaloupe more often. They are one of my favourite fruits by far!

IMG_0253

See you tomorrow for my Spring Training Plan! I have lots to say, so rest those eyeballs up. 8-O I believe it is also time for the WMM2 closing ceremonies!

OFF TO WATCH 24!!!!!

PS- OMG I posted 3 times today!!!! Whoa. I’m taking a week off now. JK :mrgreen:

Angela_Signature

1 Charity February 1, 2010

It originated from an LOLcat picture on I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER.com. It’s the sound a kitty makes when he’s munching on his food!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2010

hshahahahah omg this makes it even better

pic???

3 Amy Ramos February 1, 2010

I was going to say this exactly!!
This was the original one, I think:

4 caitlin February 2, 2010

yup – i say it all the time on my blog and i got it from i haz cheeseburger!

5 Meghan@traveleatlove February 1, 2010

I often SAY NOM NOM NOM while eating something amazing! Those burgers look so satisfying!

6 Charity February 1, 2010
7 Charity February 1, 2010
8 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2010

oh wow. I should not be laughing this much

9 megan February 1, 2010

I wondered the same thing! I always assumed it was the sound someone makes when they’re eating. but i’ve never made that sound when I eat haha

10 Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 1, 2010

Om nom nom to those burgers! ;-) YUM!

I will probably think of your pronunciation of “nomnomnomnomnomnomnom” from now on… Haha. I say it in a big, deep, voice, and picture myself shoving my face in a plate of food like I just can’t eat the deliciousness fast enough… (Um, that’s embarrassing, but… It’s true. Not true that I really DO that, but true that that’s the visual I get…)

11 Julie @SavvyEats February 1, 2010

OMG, that is what I think of too!!

12 Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 2, 2010

Hahaha. That’s so funny! I’m glad I’m not alone. :)

13 Reb February 1, 2010

I think of it as the sound Cookie Monster makes while inhaling cookies. Definitely associated with pleasure. You wouldn’t NOM NOM NOM a big chunk of liver, for example.

14 Nicole February 2, 2010

LOL this made me laugh so hard

15 greenbean February 2, 2010

cookie monster is the “nom nom nom” OG! the original gangsta

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2010
17 Julie @SavvyEats February 1, 2010

This is hilarious! Cannot stop laughing.

18 Reb February 2, 2010

OMG yessss!
That was surprisingly funny for an adult. Man, I gotta watch more Sesame Street!

19 'Dee February 1, 2010

LOL! I lovvvvveeeee me some nom nom LOL cats :-) One of my favorite sites EVER! Between “nom” and “teh interwebs”, I think I speak LOLcat pretty well.

20 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 1, 2010

I say it when something is really nummmy :-) I also say it in my head slowly.

Kind of luck yum, yum, yum … but instead, nom nom nom.

21 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 1, 2010

I thought it was the noise Cookie Monster made on Sesame Street when he attacked a big pile of cookies haha… or, that’s what I picture in my head when I read it! :P

22 Allison February 1, 2010

I believe Mr. Homer Simpson (see generally: The Simpsons) says nom nom nom when he is chowing donuts. At least, that is what I always thought.

23 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 1, 2010

LOL – “why me not get royalties on this.”

24 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) February 1, 2010

The first time I saw it on the blogs was from Caitlin.

25 Jil February 1, 2010

haha I use “nom.nom.nom” when no real word can describe how good something is. haha :) And those veggie spelt burgers look sooooo good.

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 1, 2010

ooooooh that is an awesome dinner! Loving it!

27 Lizzie February 1, 2010

So, the dinnertime oats eventuated with your suggested toppings and while the pasta sauce.hummus combo seemed a little weird on paper, it was SO good! And you’re right . . very filling! Definitely going to be making some more of these. Have you got any other toppings to suggest??? :)

28 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries February 1, 2010

ok im so happy you addressed the whole nomnomnom thing. it’s always sort of thrown me off, too haha

29 Jenna February 1, 2010

Haha, I love this discussion. I’ve always thought that it just meant that something was really good!

I’m with you on the cantaloupe front. During the summer I love to mix a yogurt mess and place it in the center of half of a melon. So refreshing!

30 Eve February 1, 2010

Hahahaha, nomnomnom – too funny! I’m not much one for lolcats, but failblog.org pretty much makes my day, every day. :)

31 Kristin (whimsyville) February 1, 2010

I can’t wait to see what you have cooked up for the spring in your training plan!

PS. Am I the only one who is little driven crazy by nom nom nom everywhere? Come on… there’s got to be someone else out there! :)

32 Jennie February 1, 2010

I am a little tired of the “nom nom nom” too and also “it rocked my face off”.:)

33 Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 2, 2010

“Nom nom nom” always makes me smile so I’m not sick of it YET – but I *hate* when people say “I heart [something].” I thought it was cute when I heard it like 8 years ago because it was clever… But now I just want to scream, “SAY ‘LOVE!’ IT’S THE SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES AS ‘HEART.’ It’s a dumb saying!”

That felt good to get off my chest. :)

34 EaterNotARunner February 1, 2010

I love cantaloupe! And your veggie burgers always look delicious :-)

35 Gabriela February 1, 2010

These burgers look fantastic! I’m bookmarking them for sure!

36 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place February 1, 2010

I love informative books like that! I haven’t heard of Super Eating, but if your review is good I may buy it!

37 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 1, 2010

lol…this post cracked me up :-)

38 Kath February 1, 2010

I always thought it was a Homer Simpson noise!!!

I NEED that book!

39 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 1, 2010

This really made me laugh because I have NO idea what nom nom nom came form either!!!

40 Run Sarah February 1, 2010

That burger looks amazing…your photos look especially professional today, great lighting!

41 brianne February 1, 2010

hi angela – have you heard any buzz around “the vegetarian myth” and/or have any interest in reading?

42 Sarah February 1, 2010

1) Thank you so much for making me realise I am not the only one who has no friggin’ clue what “nom nom nom” means. Worse yet, one of the blogs I read talks about “going to get some noms” or “there was lots of great noming to be had”. I get so lost, and just substitute the words “food” and “eating” in my head. LOL is about as crazy as I get with the internet lingo.

2) I am curious to hear more about that book! Now, as I sit here with my iron and b12 supplement, which I normally take separately, I wonder if I should take them together. I normally take my iron with my Green Monster because it has vitamin C, which I know helps me absorb it, but what about B12? Does the book tell you anything about what can help you absorb that?

43 Angela (OSG) February 1, 2010

For B12- According to the book, b12 is one of the most complex vitamins for absorption because it requires a combination of stomach acid, protein, and a carrier called ‘intrinsic factor’ to be absorbed. I need to do more reading up on it.

44 Kim February 2, 2010

Sarah,

You can just take B12 with any food and at any time. Unless you are missing the lower half of your stomach or your Ileum (part of your small intestine) your body makes intrinsic factor and will absorb it just fine. Taking the iron along with a vitamin C source is a good idea as it helps the absorption so keep that up.

Side note, don’t take calcium with your iron pill because that will block absorption. Basic guidelines are: Calcium with vitamin D and iron with vitamin C– take one set in the morning and one set in the evening and you are good.

Kim (RD)

45 Kailey (SnackFace) February 1, 2010

THANK YOU!! Nom nom nom normally annoys me! I researched and it originated with Cookie Monster, as that’s the sound he makes while eating cookies. Now I guess people use it when they eat something delicious. It makes me gag because I imagine everyone chewing grotesquely with their mouths open! ICK!

46 Karla February 1, 2010

I have no idea about “nom nom nom.” I’ve seen it too and honestly it sounds gross!
I bought supplies to make those patties! I can’t wait to make them!

47 Danielle (Coffee Run) February 1, 2010

Hahaha I’m not really sure what NOMNOM means either? I think it’s like saying “yum?”

Your spelt burgers look SOOO good- I love the visible veggies :)

48 Kristen @ Simply Savor February 1, 2010

can i just say how happy i am that you brought up the NOMNOMNOM thing?! I’ve had noooo idea what it meant for the longest time, but it kind of caught on because i’d find myself saying it (and still not really having any idea what it meant!) haha

i HAVE to make those veggie burgers, they look amazing. and so does the veggie lasagna. can’t wait to read about the spring training plan :)

49 Ellen February 1, 2010

Who knows? I first heard it 10 years ago—my British friend used to say it. It’s cute!

50 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2010

i’m so glad you did 3 posts today! i love reading this :) i need to make the spelt burgers soon…i foresee a trip to WF in my future :)

51 Tina February 1, 2010

What’s funny is that I never used the nomnomnom to describe food until recently. For some reason, that is how my 15 month old daughter tells me she is hungry. She says ‘nommy nommy nommies’ for food. And then I picked it up from her and will use it sometimes to say something is yummy. So odd!!! I had no clue it was popular blog lingo. Ha!

52 Kelly February 1, 2010

That burger looks delish!! Keep the posts coming! :)

53 Erika February 1, 2010

I always pictured it being someone trying to say “yum yum yum” but their mouth was too full, so it came out nom nom nom..lol….

54 Jessie (Vegan-minded) February 2, 2010

That’s exactly how I picture it! To be honest, I am getting kind of sick of seeing it everywhere though. Funny post Angela!

55 Erika February 2, 2010

I hear ya….i just picture a big slew of crumbs coming flying out of their mouth…..ewwwwwww…

56 Rachel February 1, 2010

Hehe, I’m going to introduce you to your new best friend – Urban Dictionary! Check it out: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nom%20nom%20nom

Also, this page helps me figure some of that kind of stuff out sometimes, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena

57 Rose February 2, 2010

I’ve been wondering about the origins of that phrase too!

58 Melissa February 2, 2010

Thank you for bringing this up! I have hated “nom nom nom” and other food sounds (I’ve seen “homph komph” or something like that too). It’s gross and also juvenile. Makes the bloggers sound like little kids who are trying to be cute. I also can’t stand “holy yum” and “face rocking”. Ugh. Thank you, Angela, for never using these words/phrases!!!

59 Maureen February 2, 2010

It is totally from cookie monster. I think I read an article about it somewhere (that I couldn’t find when I tried), but it got stolen for the LOLcats, but…originally….the cookie monster. I’m certain.

60 La February 2, 2010

I had no idea what it came from forever too! I think it’s freaking weird! Eating-based onomatopoeia (WOW I had to Google how to spell that…damn it’s been years since my 100 level English classes) … Eating-based onomatopoeia is like nails on a chalkboard to me for some reason!

61 Tracie @hollafoodzone February 2, 2010

Only health food freaks could truly appreciate the beauty of that veggie burger! nomnomnom!

62 mary ann February 2, 2010

THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE ISNT HIP TO ALL THE FOOD BLOG LINGO!! Can I tell you the number of times i come across something like TWSS (thanks lo for setting me straight here)not to mention all of the other abbreviations. holy moly i feel like a food blog prude being so cluelesss, haha. Keep on rockin in a free world sister, you are a beauty
MA
lilpauladean.wordpress.com

63 Katie February 2, 2010

I say OM NOM NOM NOM when something is yummy. :)

64 Melanie February 2, 2010

LolCats also call all of their food “noms.” It’s totally hilarious. Joey and I actually use lolspeak now, which is weird, I know.

I love reading nonfiction, too. I read so many novels for my grad program (English) that I prefer NF when I can choose my own.

I’ve got to make those burgers. They look so good!

65 Lisa February 2, 2010

Yeah, I think nomnom originated with the cookie monster. I always think yumyumyum though!

66 AGS February 2, 2010

That veggie burger looks amazing. My lunch (sitting in the fridge here at work) pales in comparison.

In other news — my husband had quinoa this past week and LOVED it. After several comments about how he didn’t like trying things, and wasn’t sure he wanted to try it, etc., etc. Score! Of course, I should know we’ve already come a long way in our eating together that he was asking me to make brown rice instead of quinoa — but he’s now a convert. ;)

67 Jen February 2, 2010

I love the use of NOM NOM NOM NOM – it really helps me understand JUST how good something tastes. It’s like on all the cooking shows…you can’t actually smell or taste the food so the people have to be really expressive. I think it helps…

68 Laura Georgina February 2, 2010

Too funny–I wondered about nom nom for a while too! It’s probably because I think “chomp chomp” when I think of devouring food (and that sound that dogs make when they snap their jaws at something you throw at them–like “ghhhrrrrapppp”, I think?)

I can’t wait for the WMM2 recap! I have two weeks till carnival and need to give the abs a final beatdown before D-Day! Now off to put WMM on post it notes all over my computer…

69 Paige @ Running Around Normal February 2, 2010

I can haz cheezburger?! Gahh love those LOLcats!
Those patties look amazing, Ange! Must make them soon.

70 skinnyrunner February 2, 2010

that veggie lasagna looks really good! recipe??

71 Sophie @ yumventures February 2, 2010

I agree, I think its the noise from the Cookie Monster. When he is enjoying his delicious cookies =) Its is more of a slower “nom, nom, nom!” Me want cookie hahaha

72 Becca February 2, 2010

I love reading health books too! Whenever I got to B&N I find myself standing in front of their vast array of them in utter awe trying to decide which one to get this time :)

73 marianne February 2, 2010

i always check knowyourmeme.com when there’s some lingo i don’t get :) they have a great om nom nom one.

74 Mary (Food Fit & Fun) February 2, 2010

yum those burgers and veggie lasanga look delish!! I’m gonna have to try those burgers out.

75 Betsy February 2, 2010

on nom nom is from cookie monster!!

76 Jen February 2, 2010

I think the phrase “nom nom nom” is the MOST annoying blogger phrase ever in the world. It makes me cringe every time I read it.

77 thedelishdish February 2, 2010

i havent heard of this book but it looks great! can’t wait to read your full review on it & hopefully check the book out myself!

78 betsy February 2, 2010

I usually think of Homer :-)

79 Michal February 2, 2010

Girl your blogging lingo is fine with me!

80 Cynthia (It All Changes) February 3, 2010

Don’t feel bad I didn’t know where it originated either.

81 Kim February 4, 2010

I need that book! I’m also a huge geek about reading health books for the fun of it, and that book looks like a great primer as I apply to schools to study nutrition! Must track it down soon.