I Quit.

IMG_9750

Possibly the two most liberating (and scary) words that have ever come out of my mouth.

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of quitting my old job.

One year ago today, I was not in a good place. I was unhappy, depressed, anxious, and fearful of what the future would hold. Despite these feelings, I knew that I wanted to be happy with my career.

One year ago today was quite possibly one of the lowest moments in my life. After quitting, I walked down the office hallway in shock, literally shaking from what just happened. I sat at my desk in shock. I called Eric on the phone and whispered, ‘You’ll never believe what I finally did’, my hands still shaking.

What was I going to do?

Despite all of this, there was a small, glowing flame inside me that started to light up. It burned a bit brighter the day that I quit my job. Each day thereafter, it burned brighter and brighter. After 7 years in university and a few unfulfilling research jobs, I was finally able to sit down, take a deep breath, and really think about what makes me happy.

All of this time, this was the one crucial thing that I had not done. Yes I had written the exams, the GRE’s, gotten letters of recommendations, and straight A’s, but the one thing I did not do is stop to think about what I wanted.

I always did what I thought was expected of me or what career I thought would pay the most money. Both of which, would never make me a happy person, but kill that glowing flame inside my heart until it is no longer burning at all.

I have grown up a lot in the past year. I have struggled with self-doubt and worries that have almost paralyzed me from moving forward with my dreams. There were several times when I almost called it off because I was scared. There have been a lot of tears over the past year, but there have also been many more smiles and exciting moments than I have had in the past 7 years combined.

The past year has really shown me that I can choose a life that I will be happy with. I can make choices every single day to create happiness in myself. I can work my ass off at something I love and feel extremely rewarded.

And most of all, I never have to settle for something that isn’t a right fit for me.

Sometimes it takes us to experience a career field before we know that it just isn’t right for us. Or, we go to law school when we really secretly have always wanted to open up a cupcake shop. Most of the time, we figure out things as we go. There aren’t really any ‘mistakes’, but experiences and the key is to make them learning experiences.

We make the best choice that we can at the time.

When we lost a family friend, Chris, to cancer just prior to our wedding in 2008, I started to question a lot of things in my life. Chris was the same age as Eric and he grew up with Eric. Losing someone so young made me question my own life, choices, happiness, and goals. I decided that I would do something to change my situation. I realized that my time on the earth was not something to take for granted any longer.

While it took me another 6 months to finally get the courage to leave my job, once I said those two words, it was instantly a new beginning for me.

I don’t want to think about what my life would be like today, had I not had the courage to take a leap of faith.

Today I celebrate stepping outside my comfort zone, challenging myself as a person, and deciding that I deserve to be happy.

IMG_9768

Have you ever decided to leave a bad situation or a job/college major because it wasn’t a good fit for you?

~~

For a full recap of how I changed careers, check out my ‘A Year Can Change A Lot’ Series:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, and Part 9

Angela_Signature

Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus.

~Susan Longacre

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 22, 2010

Congrats on your anniversary and year of growth! I too was in a horrible place with a job not quite 2 years ago so I completely feel you. I would literally sit and cry at my desk almost every morning. I HATED to even wake up each day, It took a huge toll on me and was affecting every aspect of my life. I resolved to quit and try something new. I got very lucky and landed a fabulous job right as I was quitting the other job. Things turn out somehow don’t they!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 22, 2010

What a fabulous anniversary to celebrate! Ange, you have inspired me so much to follow my own dreams, and I am hoping it is only a matter of time before I say those words, too. :)

3 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 22, 2010

Love that post and Happy Anniversary! I can’t imagine the world without Glo Bars :) I know that quiting your job and stepping out on faith must have been one of the hardest things you have ever done. And what determination you must have to make your business a success. I can’t believe how far you have come in one year! But you make excellent points. If we are not happy, what’s the point? We only have one life to live.. just one.. we might as well make it the best we can. And so what if doing what we love may not bring in as much money as something else? In the grand scheme of things, happiness is more important.

I can actually relate a lot to this. I was in school to get a degree in teaching early childhood up until this past November. I was a senior and was supposed to graduate this May. I went into teaching because it was “expected” of me and something that I always said I wanted to do – I never even questioned it. And then i got into the teaching program and I HATED it. Going to school and getting out there in the elementary schools was torture for me.. that sounds awful I know. I truly love kids, I work with kids every day at an afterschool program, but teaching them? Not so much. But even hating it, I never realized that I could do something else if I wanted to.. it was like I thought I was stuck with no way out. So I ignored this nagging thought that teaching wasn’t right for me and went along with it until the end of last semester, a semester that was some of the worst months of my life. Last summer and the following fall was one of the hardest times of my life and I went through a lot of things that made me realize that life is too short to be unhappy. Why did I want to get a degree in something where I would be miserable with my job for the rest of my life? I wanted to be happy. So I took a leap of faith and quit education despite people telling me I was crazy and that I only had one more semester until i would graduate. But what most everyone did not understand was that one more semester would probably kill me. So despite everything, I quit education and switched to business. My ultimate goal is to have my own business selling wedding cakes, therefore I figured that a business degree would get me a little closer to that (culinary school isn’t an option right now) and I have to say, I have never been happier. It is HARD and challenging and scary but I’m happy. Finally.

Sometimes listening to your heart and going for your dreams is the scariest thing you will ever do but it has the possibilities of making you happier than you ever thought possible.

4 Tara January 22, 2010

I was in a very similar boat! I did the teaching thing, not ever `loving it`while I was in school, but finished it anyway because I didn`t really think I had another option. I taught for a couple years, going through the motions but never had the drive I should have had. Then last year I had a class from h*ll which really pushed me over the edge. I feel like I wasted a year of my life, as I was so unhappy, it took a toll on my relationships, friendships, and i was just not that happy bubbly person I knew was inside of me somewhere. I resigned my contract at the end of the year and I am just starting a post grad degree in Human Resources (something friends of mine were in and I always thought I`d be very suited for a job in that area). I am very excited for the future and HAPPY! ahhh. It feels good! congrats to you for realizing it and going with your gut. I know it`s not easy. good luck with the cake business! :)

5 Laura Georgina January 22, 2010

Congrats new Angela! What a difference a year makes…. You’re a real inspiration and ray of positivity.

I’ve started doing some moonlighting work that I hope (fingers crossed) will lead to a real career 180 in a few months. I don’t think I would have felt so confident to even consider going in this direction if I hadn’t read your story. It really hit home and made me see that things DIDN’T have to be this way, that sacrifices can be made and leaps of faith taken–and that they DO work out in the end, like they have for you.

6 Rebekah January 22, 2010

Congrats Angela. I am currently in a similar place you were a year ago and feel so trapped by all the old decisions I’ve made over the years that have now all added up to what I call my life. I will be 38 in 2 months and find myself thinking I am too old to really find my “dream” but I look at your story and the others who comment here and see a glimmer of hope. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us, you are changing lives one blog at a time.

7 Stacy January 22, 2010

Hey Rebekah – you are not too old! I’ll be 37 next month and going through the same thing right now – I’m very scared, very broke but want to live my dream. I figure I have at least 30 years until retirement age so I even if it is not for a few more years at least I will be happy and love life! And honestly – I didn’t really know what I wanted until about a year ago. I’m not 100% sure about all the details but its a process. Find your passion and work your way into it :)

8 Kalli@fitandfortysomething January 22, 2010

Happy 1 year! You truly took a scary step-one most of us would not do. Very proud of you and your accomplishments this year.

9 Betherann January 22, 2010

Wow, has it only been a year since you ditched psychology? It’s amazing what has happened in your life in such a short time. Kudos and congrats! And, of course, happy birthday to Sketchie. :)

10 Jenna January 22, 2010

what a beautiful story! :) You should be so proud of yourself. So many people stay because they don’t want to put the work into finding what they really want in life!

11 skinnyrunner January 22, 2010

congrats on your 1 yr quitting anniversary! and what you have accomplished in the past year… you seem so much happier too!

12 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) January 22, 2010

Wow, what an inspiration!! Congrats and I cannot believe how much has changed within one year. Can you???? I can’t wait to see what life has in store for you in the coming year.

13 Tara January 22, 2010

I was definitely in that position last year! I just posted above commenting on another teacher`s situation. Good for you for having the courage to listen to what your mind was telling you. I know so many people in careers they are unhappy with. Doing something you are passionate for is what it`s all about! You`re very inspiring. Enjoy your wonderful anniversary today, you have lots to celebrate. xoxo

14 kate January 22, 2010

happy bday sketchie! & congrats to you on your 1 year anniversary to a better and healthier you! it definitely took a lot of courage to do what you did, & you have worked so hard to be where you are now & its an inspiration to all of us :)

15 Marina January 22, 2010

Congrats on your anniversary! You are really a brave amazing woman.
And happy birthday to the cutest cat ever

16 Alexi January 22, 2010

That’s a wonderful anniversary to celebrate! I completely understand how you felt and what you went through: I also left my corporate job last year (in advertising) and never looked back. It was so freeing! How amazing it feels to leave the stressed-out, grumpy, unfulfilled you behind and blaze your own path.

You truly are an inspiring woman! :)

17 Meg January 22, 2010

Angela,
Every single one of your posts (even the recipes!) really inspire me, and make me realize that this the THE only life I get, and I should live it in a way which makes me the happiest. Thank you for that. Happy one year quit-a-versary ;) and Happy Birthday to Sketchie :)

Meg

18 Courtney January 22, 2010

This was so encouraging and inspiring. A lot of us are stack at our unhappy day jobs – I’m a struggling student just trying to get by, I hope one day there’s a “light” for me, too. :]

19 Kelly January 22, 2010

I used to teach elementary school and it’s a profession everyone admired, so it was very difficult to leave. However, I now know it was the right choice and am happy with my new life! I’m remodeling our home, taking art classes, volunteering, writing, and loving it all so much!

20 ForDGRedial January 22, 2010

I left university 2 weeks away from the end of my first year. I had always been the perfect child, well behaved, strong in opinion etc. Telling my parents I was desperately unhappy and wanted to quit was the hardest thing I have *ever* done. Their disappointment in me was heart breaking. But it was from that point that they began to respect me as an equal…well after my mum had not spoken to me for 1-2 weeks hehe.

Now I take every opportunity and run with it. I am not afraid to admit my mistakes and change direction. Afterall, a river’s path isn’t straight and I have a long, exciting life ahead of me this way.

Amy x

21 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 22, 2010

Congrats Angela! I’ve loved watching you change and grow through all your posts in the last year and almost a half… I remember your first comment on MY blog was something like “hey i started this blog, maybe you could check it out?” Now you’re this ROCKSTAR!!!

22 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 22, 2010

What an amazing anniversary to celebrate. I hope to say those words, soon, too.

“Most of the time, we figure out things as we go. There aren’t really any ‘mistakes’, but experiences and the key is to make them learning experiences.”

Love this. I sometimes beat myself up saying, “why didn’t I” or “I should have,” but we really don’t know until we experience it!

23 Diana January 22, 2010

congradulations!! look at all that you’ve accomplished in just one year. Truly an inspiration. Hope you enjoyed that delicious looking breakfast and have a great rest of the day! You deserve it.

P.S- your early morning challange has inspired me to do one of my own. This marks my first week of waking up early and knocking “kickbutt workout” off my list before I even show up to work at 8:30. Never thought I could be a morning person (especially a morning workout person) but it actually isn’t so bad! We can do it!!

24 Jen January 22, 2010

Great story! Really inspirational to see what a difference a year makes, especially when you take charge of your life and really decide to think about what makes you happy. Congrats!

25 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle January 22, 2010

Congratulations on your anniversary, and thank you for this post- it really hits home. Right now I am in grad school because I didn’t want to get a job in engineering after college because I never switched my major in college because then I wouldn’t ever find a job…etc etc. Although I’ve learned a lot and it wasn’t all horrible, I’ve been really afraid of the “what-if” of doing something completely unrelated to what I’ve been educated in for 6 years. Stories like this give me some comfort and a positive outlook! I’m still trying to figure out what it is I want to do but I hope I eventually find as happy and fulfilling path as you have made for yourself! :)

26 Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 22, 2010

I’ve done pretty much the same thing my whole life and am definitely not happy in my job. I want a change but I’m not sure what I could be doing that would make me happy! Love your story, it really is inspirational :-)

27 krissy January 22, 2010

Congrats Love! It’s hard to believe that SO much could happen in just 1 short year :) It’s inspiring to know that dreams can come true! I hope oneday soon I will be following in your footsteps and living out my dream as well :) I’m so happy for you, you have worked so hard to get to where you are and I know there are SO many great things to come in your future!
xoxo

28 Teal January 22, 2010

Congrats! I too was in a situation a few years ago where I didn’t like what I was doing career-wise. It affects everything. Now, I love what i do, and am the happiest I have ever been :)
Would you tell me what type of cat sketchie is? so adorable!

29 Karla January 22, 2010

Congratulations! You’ve really taken control of your life and your happiness!

Honestly, everyday I think about quitting my current grad program. I like the subject but honestly I don’t like being where I am and the people aren’t very nice. I’m not necessarily unhappy but I’ve been happier. I’m just sticking through it because I’ve invested so much in it (money wise) already that 3 semesters isn’t that much to just stick out. I’m hoping that when I’m done here, I’ll have a master’s degree and be able to do something I love, even if it’s not directly related to my degree. I guess I’m just telling myself that a master’s degree can’t hurt so I might as well stick it out and enjoy it as much as possible. I hope I’m not pushing and fooling myself into a miserable existence…

Great post, really got me thinking.
Happy Birthday to Sketchie!

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 22, 2010

Well Happy New Life Anniversary . . .although you scared me for a moment when I first read the title of the post . . . I thought you were quitting the bakery, I had visions of running to find my wallet and buying all the bars you had left :)

31 Brittany January 22, 2010

I know that feeling well…I’m currently a senior at my university, and I have never felt “at home” here. There were a lot of people weighing on my decision to choose this school, but now I realize I should have chosen for myself! I have many regrets about where I decided to go to school, but since I am able to graduate a year early, I figured I would stick it out. I just hope I don’t make the same mistake with law school!

32 Sophie @ yumventures January 22, 2010

What an inspiring post! I have also started to think about what would make me happy and where I want to go with my life and my career. Seeing someone who made the jump and ended up on top makes me feel like I can do anything. Keep up the amazing work!

33 Anna January 22, 2010

After almost 3 years of struggling as an engineering major, this past fall I switched to something completely different that is a much better fit for me. I was just sinking with the workload and since I didn’t enjoy what I was doing, none of it was rewarding and there was nothing to look forward to. It was a pretty major step, but my parents were supportive because they know how depressed and frustrated I had become. I have no problem with spending my life in the library, but now I can do it and actually be interested in what I am cramming into my brain.

Congratulations on your year – you are definitely someone to look up to! I know that you are still learning and growing, but you’ve taken risks and have dealt with what life has thrown at you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

34 Ameena January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary…I’d emailed you a while back about my similar situation and I think it was the best thing I’ve ever done!

35 Amy Reinink January 22, 2010

Congratulations! I celebrated my one-year anniversary of my entry into the world of freelance writing in November, and I understand the joy of being able to look back and take a deep breath. I also understand the self-doubt inherent in working for yourself, with loosely defined boundaries and no performance reviews besides the voice in your head. May your next year be just as successful as the first!

36 Naomi January 22, 2010

What a poignant and touching post. Thank you – it inspires me.

37 Lynne January 22, 2010

Thanks for this post, Angela. You never fail to inspire me. Like some of the others who have commented, I was someone who thought that teaching would be the career for me. I love working with children, I had the grades I needed, people told me they thought I’d be really good at it… but you know what? From day one, I hated it! I never expected that! I now do a reeeaallly dull admin job, but it doesn’t take over my whole life or stress me out, and I am free to work on finding something that will fulfill me. I will get there! :-)

38 sarah (shep) January 22, 2010

thank you for being such an inspiration, angela. i mean it – you are an inspiration to me and all of these other wonderful people who read your blog daily. i recently made the decision to transfer colleges mid- sophomore year, and that coupled with my dad’s diagnosis of terminal cancer has left my emotions all over the place. i’ve been confused, but i honestly look to your story of quitting your job & finding your happiness for hope & inspiration that i don’t have to have it ALL figured out right now. i just need to be happy. :)

39 Ann January 22, 2010

Adding my voice to the chorus here: thank you so much for this inspiring post, and for your whole inspiring story. I’m 3 weeks into my first “real” job in the field I majored in, and I’m already miserable. I’m already scheming up future plans, and really (REALLY) want to become an entrepreneur. I love reading about your business endeavours!

40 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place January 22, 2010

I’m in the process of searching for the job that is the right fit for me! I’m not scared and I’m fully confident that I will succeed.. I just need to pull the trigger. Great post! I’m glad that this year has worked out so beautifully for you. You deserve it!

41 Mellissa January 22, 2010

Love all these stories! I am in week 3 of a new job that I love. I left a jerk of a boss, a company that didn’t support women and had serious employee engagement issues.

My life has changed so much in less than a month- it is amazing!

42 Jess January 22, 2010

Hi Ange.
What a wonderful post. Happy Anniversary!
I went through the same shift! I use to work at a financial institution with a great paycheque but knew that I wasn’t HAPPY.
Then there was an opportunity to work at Booty Camp Fitness and I almost didn’t apply. It wasn’t as secure at the bank and frankly I didn’t know if I should leave a SAFE job. I talked to my boyfriend and he told me that he sees how HAPPY I am when I exercise and when I lead WeightWatchers. So he told me to GO FOR IT! With both feet, I jumped, got the job out of 200 plus applications and now I’m getting certified as a personal trainer (february 2010) And I lead 2 weightwatcher meetings. I love my life and I LOVE to lead people to success. Honestly, if I hadn’t done it, I don’t know where I’d be.

43 Jenn @ Livewellfit January 22, 2010

What a gem you are! It takes so much courage to not only do what you have done but admit it to so many about how much you struggled to get there.

So much of what you say can relate to our everyday experiences. One thing that I have started to do is everyday, every single day I take some action towards what my dream is. Regardless of the dream, I take action everyday to move towards it! You are a shining inspiration!

44 Anna @ unsweetenedcocoa January 22, 2010

A beautiful post about living life to the fullest. Quitting a bad situation takes a lot of guts and courage. Congratulations on taking that step, clearly it’s paid off so well for you. Inspiring!

45 SP January 22, 2010

Angela! Congratulations, I can’t believe it’s only been a year. You’ve grown so much.
Idea for celebration: Seek out another entrepreneur who had the courage to do what you did and celebrate/go out together!
Btw, I’m addicted to your blog. And of course, green monsters too.

46 Haleigh January 22, 2010

Very inspiring post. I have changed my mind about my major at least 4 times. Nothing ever felt “right” to me until now. Once I found what I was passionate about, I never second guessed my decision.

47 Bree January 22, 2010

SO proud of you!! (haha although your title probably momentarily scared the crap out of some people! :p) Sketchie is 3 today? Ok that’s 4 birthdays today for me!! :-P

48 lindsay January 22, 2010

I can relate- I just left my job last month. I took the job because we needed the money and I was promised new opportunities however I had a manager that was 2 faced and a “team leader” who was rude and condescending. I put up with it for a year and half but finally decided that I had to rid myself of a toxic situation and take sometime to figure out what I really want to do.

49 Dotsie January 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Sketchie! :-D

Angela, I’m glad you quit and have gotten to the happy place you are now-very awesome! You go, girl!

50 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker January 22, 2010

Congrats! I’m quite jealous. As much as I’m not happy . . . I frankly don’t have an option. I have so much student loan debt, so much mortgage debt, car loan debt, and my husband’s a teacher, so we don’t exactly bring in the big bucks. Simply put: we don’t have enough cash to explore my wants/desires. Blah. Someday I hope to do what you did. But until then . . . I can live vicariously through you :)

51 Laura January 22, 2010

This post really speaks to my heart! I just took a huge leap of faith and decided to go back to school and change careers. I graduated from college 3 years ago with two business degrees and I’ve been miserable for the past 2 years of it! I debated for months whether I could actually change careers. But guess what?! This past Tuesday I started school! In 3.5 years I’m going to have another bachelors, a masters and be eligable to sit for the Registered Dietican exam! Unfortunately I am still working during this first semester at my miserable finance job, but come May – I’ll be out of here and FREE!

A lot of people (my family especially) have questioned my decisions and my actions, but I don’t care. I made this decision for myself and I have realized that life was NOT worth living so miserable. Congrats to both of us for having the courage to do what we really want in life instead of what we are “supposed” do be doing!

52 Heather @ Mrs. Southern Bride January 22, 2010

Congrats on the year! :) Almost two years I ago I was in a situation very similar. I was tired of being harassed by my bosses. I couldn’t sleep at night because I was always so worried or upset about something at work. With the support of my family and walked out of the job…and I have NEVER looked back! I feel so bad for anyone who continues to work in a hostile environment… perhaps your story will inspire others to make the same courageous step in their life!

53 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 22, 2010

That is an awesome statement Angela! Congrats on your one year of happiness :)

54 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 22, 2010

Angela, I love your story! I have read every single one of your blog posts, and I was so proud of you when you finally decided to quit your job. I hope that your bakery fulfills you, and that you are excited to begin work every day.

Happy birthday to Mr. Sketchie!

55 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 22, 2010

Happy quit-iversary!! :-)

And happy birthday to Sketchie, undoubtedly one of the coolest cats on the world wide web!

56 Jil January 22, 2010

Happy anniversary! You’re right..life is too short to do something that makes you miserable or settle for anything less that what you want. It’s your life, you should be able to do and achieve what you want!

57 Tina January 22, 2010

Today is definitely a day for you to celebrate! I left my job of teaching a year or so ago to stay at home when my daughter was born, and it was amazing how much I realized that career was not as rewarding to me as I thought it was. I love being at home, but I do plan to go back to work. And now I know that when that time comes it will have to be doing something I am really passionate about. :)

58 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 22, 2010

Congrats girl. That’s amazing! So many people wish they could be in your shoes and so many people are missing out on living your dreams!

Best things in life happen when you step outside of your comfort zone, I believe that with 100% of myself! :)

Congrats and hopefully you do something wonderful to celebrate tonight!
xo Jess

59 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life January 22, 2010

Congrats to you!! That’s awesome!

60 Kelly January 22, 2010

Congrats! I know it has been a lot happier, but I know you have worked really hard in the past year to be in the happy place you are now. I hope you have a great weekend of celebrating!

61 Samantha January 22, 2010

I just recently changed my major from business to psychology. It isn’t my real passion, I really want to be a nutritionist. But I can’t find a program that will work with my schedule now. I am confident that I will find something that works for me, I just have to find the right time. Your posts are awesome!

62 brandi January 22, 2010

This is something I’m working on. I know that this job isn’t for me- it’s not what I want, what I’m good at, or within my passions in life.

But I’m also the one that has benefits, insurance, and everything that we need. So I can’t just quit and leave us hanging when my husband has a temporary job.

One day…the timing just isn’t right, and I can’t put us in a bad situation.

63 Lauren Modeen January 22, 2010

Angela,

Here’s a quote you might like:

“It’s not so much what you get from goals that matters, it’s what you had to become to get it that’s yours forever” – John Rohn

Have a great day!

64 Rachel January 22, 2010

Congrats on the anniversary, Angela! Both of them :P I’m going through a similar thing right now. I’ve worked my entire life to become an English professor, but now that I’m in graduate school I just want to open a bakery! Crazy how these things happen.

65 stace January 22, 2010

I was really meant to read this post today, and felt like you were talking to me directly. I was literally in the process of writing my formal resignation letter, and got a little overwhelmed and wanted to do something to take my mind off of the stress for a bit (enter blogs!). I was questioning my decision, but reading this post solidified all the reasons WHY I need to move forward. Thank you!! :)

66 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 22, 2010

Congratulations on the anniversary of a very important and life changing day in your life!

67 Gabriela January 22, 2010

This is such a great post! I’m a college student and I feel like people constantly ask me what I want to “do” with my French major. When I tell them I don’t know, they look at me like, “Why on earth would you pick a ridiculous major like French if you don’t even have a plan for it?” I’m doing what I love for now, and I figure the rest will fall in to place…through learning experiences, just like you said.

You have such an inspiring story! I recently went vegan and subsequently started my own blog, and your posts were always of my biggest inspirations in doing so. Thank you so much for this, and I can’t wait to keep reading :)

68 Melinda January 22, 2010

Congrats! It takes a big person to realize they have made a mistake or that they are unhappy and do actually do something about it. Most people will remain in an unhappy place so they do not have to step out of their comfort zone. It is scary. I have never had to do this, but I think it is because of my personality. I never like to say no because everything I sign up to do I love. I changed my major, but I still liked the old one, so I kept it, which is why I have 2 undergrad degrees from 2 schools that I earned in 5 years. I just couldn’t give one program up. I think I learned early on what I really really wanted to do, and I realize there were many ways to get to my end dream career. But I did have to give up a job I loved to move with my husband overseas, and that was very scary. It was the unknown, but I did have a part time job that was online (teaching) and I was able to find things here, again I blame my personality for this one. I think you were very brave and you deserve a lot of credit for going after what you wanted and you are a better person now for this.

69 Natasha January 22, 2010

Congratulations!! Happy anniversary! It’s wonderful how much those two words changed your life.

Today is an anniversary for me too. Today is seven years since I got on a plane by myself to experience something different. All these years later and I’m STILL away. It has taken me on trips to many different countries, and living in three of them. I often think where I’d be if I never got on that plane.

70 Mo January 22, 2010

Congratulations on what has to be a gloriously happy day in your life!! You deserve to celebrate your bravery and accomplishments!

This is my year to start living my life. I am just embarking on it, and doing it slowly. But at least I *think* that I finally believe that life is too short to be stuck in a position that has made me unhappy for 11 years! And for what? A paycheck (not that I am not grateful for that in this day and age!)? The reward of being a good and respected employee? It’s not enough anymore; I can see that there should be more balance in my life and that I could be HAPPY! Wow, what a concept! Hopefully I will brave enough to follow your example. Thank you for leading us all in the direction of a happier, more well-adjusted life! :-)

71 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me January 22, 2010

Good for you! So inspirational!

72 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 22, 2010

First of all, I just have to say again that I have never seen more beautiful colors in a cat!

Congrats on your one year anniversary of doing what you want! I quite a job once that I knew had no future even when I didn’t have another job lined up. It was a huge scary step and it really pushed me over the ledge into something I never imagined. I’ve been working my job I have now ever since then and grown so much! It was just what I needed to make the next move.

73 Astrid January 22, 2010

I am in a situation I don’t want to be in right now. I don’t like my research, but I am far along and know that I should finish. So I will stick it out this semester and see how far I go. I can’t stand being unhappy with what I am doing. But what do I do instead? Thank you for being brave enough to know what you had to do. Thank you for being an awesome inspiration for so many people.
Maybe I can sell my art? Or be a take home cook? Or…who knows!
Have a great day!

74 Kristen January 22, 2010

You have certainly had a great year! Sometimes the scariest things can be the best for you!! Happy Birthday Sketchie!! Your bakery is taking off and you totally deserve it! :)

75 Diana January 22, 2010

Congrats!!!
Happy Birthday Sketchie!!

76 Katie January 22, 2010

Congratulations! I have read and re-read all of your story, and it is truly inspirational. I am a graduate student myself, and have fallen into many of the same traps as you. I have decided to maintain balance in my life by focusing more on me, and putting less pressure on myself in terms of accomplishments. Your story was a large part of why and how I am able to do this, and I can’t thank you enough for your honesty in posting it. I am in the very early stages of setting up a craft “business”, and again, your story and the success of your bakery really inspire me daily. When I start to doubt myself, I think of you!

77 angela @ A Healthy Fit January 22, 2010

Congrats! What an awesome year you have had. Keep up all the great work and the awesome glo bar flavors!!!

78 Julie January 22, 2010

This was an incredible post. You had an amazing year and have a lot to be proud of!

I’m dying to move out of state and have it set in my mind that I’m going to do it…but it’s going to be a long hard journey to get there. I’m scared, but I don’t want the fear to hold me back. I know it will be worth it in the end and after reading this, I know it will be worth it. You have given me new confidence that I can and will do this!!

79 Kiersten January 22, 2010

That was a very brave (and scary, I’m sure) decision you made. I am happy that you did it and are happy with your decision though. Good for you! You deserve it!

I went to culinary school for 3 years and then decided that the school AND Major were completely wrong for me. I was very unhappy there, but I was afraid to admit that and make another big change. I also felt like I was a failure- I stuck it out at that school for 3 years and then I was just going to throw it all away. After my 3rd year there I finally decided to move on to something else. I swithced my major to psychology and started at a new school this past fall. I have no once looked back and couldn’t be happier about the change.

80 Chelsea January 22, 2010

Congrats. I’m working now towards being able to get to the point financially where I can say those 2 words-and do something I really love. I can’t wait.

Stupid mortgages :(

81 Christina January 22, 2010

I love this post. Congrats on having the courage to follow your dreams! And happy birthday to Sketchie :)

82 S January 22, 2010

Congrats to all that you have accomplished! Your blog is so inspiring! oh and happy birthday Sketchie :)

83 Kristine January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary to YOU!!!! Yay for making the best decisions for YOU in life!!! Look at all you have accomplished in that year, too! Props to you! :)

84 sara January 22, 2010

As I sit and snack on these, I figured I would mention it on here. They are awesome! I bought mine out our local grocery store.

85 Christy January 22, 2010

Everytime I read your “quitting” story, I continue to be amazed. That was a huge risk you took and, by your success, it seems like it was definitely worth it! Goes to show that big risks can bring big rewards. Being a senior in college, your story helps remind me that it’s very important to recognize what truely makes you happy and to do it! Not to just take the road that others think you should take or just keep on following a plan even though it’s not what you’re set out to do! Thank you for all your words of inspiration :)

86 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 22, 2010

i have been in tears reading this entire post. i’ve done so much of the same thing – looking for the job that pays the most (Lord knows i’m far from it right now!) and has the most “prestige” but never stopped and thought about what i love to do. even as i sit here and try to brainstorm, i don’t know what i love to do and how to turn it into something that will help pay the bills.

do you have any advice at all about how you figured out what you wanted to DO after you quit? how did that initial transition look?

scared!

87 Laura January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary to you!!! :) And Happy Birthday to Sketchie!!

88 Julie Boyer January 22, 2010

Congrats Angela for making it through year 1! You are on the right track and have certainly developed your business and other skills a great deal in such a short time. I look forward to meeting you in person if we ever go out to that vegan restaurant in Cambridge.

89 Megan January 22, 2010

Congratulations…I’m currently stuck in taht “super unhappy w/ my job and unsure of what to do next” phase that I guess is not even a little unique among people in their 20s…thanks for sharing how you followed your dreams!!

90 Sarah January 22, 2010

Reading this has given me goosebumps. Congratulations to you on making it one year that is a very courageous thing to do and not many are able to follow through. I secretly wish I could do the same but don’t think I ever will. You are very inspirational and I love coming to your blog!

91 Liz January 22, 2010

Congratulations on your anniversary! You have come so far in such a short time.

For all of those above who are still looking for their place, remember that sometimes, figuring out what you want is a process of elimination. You have to study or experience something in the form of a job before you are truly able to determine it is not the path for you. With each step you take, you are that much closer to finding what you really want.

92 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) January 22, 2010

I love this post.

Last month, after 4.5 years of post-secondary, I finally decided to take a complete break from school. I had no idea what I wanted to do (still don’t!), and university/college was no place for me to be!

I still don’t know what I want to do career-wise, but I love my current job and am content to stay here until I move away from Winnipeg at the end of the year. I have also decided to complete a Bachelor of General Studies via online education. It might not get me incredibly far in the working world, but it’s a chance for me to complete a degree (something I’ve always wanted to do), and I only have to take courses that I am truly interested in to do so.

93 Lauren January 22, 2010

What an exciting day for your whole family!

A death of a friend, especially a young one, is a terrible thing to go through. I’m sure he would be honored to see how you’ve changed your life because of him.

You have a lot to be proud of. Here’s to hoping the second year of your new life is even better than the first one was!

94 Jenna Z January 22, 2010

WOW! Congrats on the important anniversary, inspiring! Someday when I realize what I want to do, I’ll do it too!

And happy birthday Sketchie! Our cat is so fat and lazy, I tell him all the time to be more like Sketchie because you look so graceful and exotic and all-around more cat-like than he does.

95 Ricki January 22, 2010

Congratulations, Angela! Your story resonates with so many people, myself included. I didn’t quit my job, but I did take an upaid leave of absence to follow my dreams, go to nutrition school, and start a bakery. Six years later, I still love working in the field of nutrition and am so happy with all the work I’ve done in that area. I continue to grow and explore new opportunities and am so glad I branched out to what I love!

96 eatingRD January 22, 2010

ok, love you!! what a great post and happy anniversary! so so inspiring. I’m teetering on that boat right now wanting to quite my job and find something I truly enjoy and go to culinary school. It’s just not worth it to not be truly happy in this life. I’m struggling with the money issue and we just bought a townhouse. I worried about going into debt if I take out a bunch of loans. Hopefully it will work out in the end :)
So amazing you are, thank you.

97 LindsayH January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary!
I’ve been struggling with this as well, as are many people I know. I think you are so brave for taking the plunge!
I’ve had a hard time finding those “sandwich thins” in a vegan version – what brand are yours?

98 Anna January 22, 2010

Hey there! Wow, this seems like the perfect day to have first read your blog. I myself just made a major change and dropped my pre-med track to add on an Art History major to my current major and a French minor. I really want a career in the arts, I have always felt that way, and it is so weird and uncomfortable but incredible to finally say that and pursue it. I can’t wait to read more of your inspiring and honest blog!!

99 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 22, 2010

I love this post. Congrats to you. I did the same thing in August of 2009. It was the best decision of my life. I think our generation is one of change. Unlike so many of our parents, we are dedicating our lives to being happy. What a thought, huh?!

100 The Paris Food Blague January 22, 2010

happy anniversary. what a wonderful post, even if i don’t want to stand on cacti

a bientot!

101 Kessa Thea January 22, 2010

Oh wow this is a very fitting post for me today. I am seriously contemplating to quit my job because I am not happy anymore. Yes, it is true that you don’t leave the company, you leave because of your boss. And if ever by any chance he is reading this, yes, I quit! I do not appreciate you micromanaging me. Sigh!

I love this post. This definitely made making a serious decision easier.

102 Amy Gaskins January 22, 2010

Happy anniversary and congratulations. Your an inspiration to me everyday. Its thru reading your blog that I’ve decided I no longer want to live with my eating disorder. I don’t want to be skinny I want to be fit. I started weight training, gave up dairy, am flirting with being vegan and loving it. I get inspiration everyday from ur blog. Love u and Happy birthday to sketchie. Hes so adorable.

103 Candice January 22, 2010

Your entry today really is the most inspiring one of them all. I actually just quit my job last week becasue it just wasn’t for me. For the last six months, I have not been happy with who I was. I was lazy and moody and not the cheerful person I always was. I started to look at my life. If I stayed at my job, I was scared that I would turn into a misrable person who I did not want to be. When I put my notice in to work, everyone in the office thought that it was so strange that I was leaving a great job to go back to retail. I felt like I was breaking up with my job becasue I kept saying, “It’s not you, it’s me”. I think you have to do things that are right for you and that make you happy. My brother said to me one day, “You never have to work another day in your life if you love your job.” And now I will live by that.

I just started reading you blog and I am hooked!! I think you are awesome!!! Your daily entries have really made a difference in my life. I started to incorporate healthy eatting and workouts into my life and I feel great. Thanks for everything!

104 Julie @savvyeats January 22, 2010

“You never have to work another day in your life if you love your job.” — I love that!

105 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness January 22, 2010

Hiiiiiiiii! I have been reading your blog but just realized that these past few days I haven’t been commenting! So I just wanted to say hello!

CONGRATS on making that huge decision 1 year ago. I truly believe that we aren’t given anything that we can’t handle, so even though quitting was hard and scary, good has come of it. And congrats on being an inspiration to so many. I know there are plenty of people who are unhappy in their current situations, but are too scared to do anything. Even if they don’t act today or tomorrow or next week, I hope that your story will inspire them to one day take control of their happiness! :)

I think you should celebrate by baking… wait, um no… by NOT baking for the evening! :)

106 Anne January 22, 2010

Angela, what a timely post!! I’ve been struggling with a career related issue for some time. Thank you for reminding me of that the most important thing to take into consideration while making my final decision is myself and what will truly make ME happy!!

Have a fabulous weekend :)

107 Maura @ Maura Me to Love January 22, 2010

What a great post. I too made that very hard decision about a year and a half ago. I thought I’d never stop crying…but slowly realized it was for the better and the decision has increased my happiness by unbelievable levels. Cheers to you for having the courage!

108 jennifer January 22, 2010

CUTE kitty!

I changed majors my junior year of college and am about to graduate at 25 with a major I love. Sometimes I feel a little behind compared to my peers, but I can’t imagine how miserable I’d be if I stayed with my old major. Good for us!!

109 kelly January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary! Unfortunately, I am now where you were then. Just got back from a week of vacation and am already starting to dread Monday. Good for you to make the change.

Happy Birthday Sketchie!!!

110 Sarah January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary! Thanks so much for the inspiring post.

111 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) January 22, 2010

This is so inspiring! It just goes to show you that with a little courage, everything will turn out ok :)

112 Liz January 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!! I’m currently in a job I hate. I’ve been there for 6 years and I’m still treated like someone who just started where other employees have started and become part of the “group” almost immediately. I’ve never completely felt like I fit in. And you’ve been there 6 years you ask? The flexible schedule allows me to work around my husband’s schedule since we have one car and I kept talking myself out of quitting.

I am in the process of getting ready to leave my job but this year my focus is to finish school (August 2010), save as much as possible since our savings are a little sparse, and try to pay off some of our debt.

You’ve inspired me to work harder so I can make the changes I want to this year. I should have been done with school last February but fear of failure has slowed me down to the point where I’m only a session ahead of where I was last year and very far behind where I should be now. Instead of panicking I’m going to take your advice from your story and work on something small (assignment, reading, review) everyday.

My task this evening is to write my resignation letter with August’s date on it and print it out. I won’t be giving it to my boss yet but I’m also going to put something to the effect of “6 months until you don’t have a job” on my calendar. I’m approaching it as a goal I have to meet and in order to meet it I need to concentrate on school. My way of fighting the fear of failure and change I’ve been combating for a while now.

Happy Birthday to one very cute cat!

113 kim January 22, 2010

this post is awesome! so inspiring!! i’m very happy in my job, but you get me fired up about exploring other ideas i have brewing in my mind! thanks so much. you really rock! : )

114 Kristin (whimsyville) January 22, 2010

Happy birthday Sketchie, from Ninja and Pancakes! And happy change-iversary to you Angela – amazing what can happen in a year!

115 alyssa January 22, 2010

today is the perfect day for this. I have been studying psychology for the past four years. I graduate college in may and had no idea what I wanted to do. I looked into graduate school in social work because I knew it was one of the only things i could do with my major without going to school for my doctorate. For the longest time i wanted to go into nursing but knew it was too late to change now. well today, i asked not to do my internship that is supposed to start monday, enrolled in a biology class instead..and met with an advisor to do a one year nursing licensing program. I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER! for the past years i have felt like i was working toward something that i didnt want. today i am excited to work harder than ever in the coming year.

116 Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 22, 2010

The most liberating thing that one can for themselves is to stand up for who they are..even if they’re not sure. Just saying ‘Nope not doing that anymore’ is empowering.

I was in a mudane job and I knew that it wasn’t going to go anywhere. I went to East Timor in July and decided after going that I was going to go back to school to become a nurse. I am taking on over 60,000/debt and giving up two of my adult yeast to be a nurse. However, one I made the decision I knew that it was the right now.

It’s funny cause there’s all this talk that pops up into your brain–mainly financial–that limits us. However, I know that when it’s the right decision the worry is still there but everything falls into place. It’s almost easy, meaning that it just flows even when roadblocks come about.

Good on you.

117 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife January 22, 2010

I think everyone goes through this. We’re forced to pick a career path when we’re 16 and then stay on the trail because we’ve already invested so much time into it… it’s a vicious, never ending cycle.

I’m definitely going through this, to a certain extent right now. It’s such a comfort that others have felt the same way and now have such a great success!!

118 Victoria January 22, 2010

Congrats on everything you have done in the past year! It was 13 months ago I quit a job that was making me miserable. I was terrified, because I had no back-up job, but now I’m focusing full-time on nursing school and I love it so much. It’s hard and occasionally, I think “man, things used to be easier,” but I’m so much happier now!

119 Katherine January 22, 2010

Congratulations, happy anniversary, and thank goodness you started Oh She Glows! It’s very difficult to leave a path that is certain (even if it’s certainly miserable) for the unknown.

PS-Happy birthday, Sketchie!

120 Susan January 22, 2010

Yayyy!! Congrats Angela!! What a perfect way to celebrate :D As you know, I recently left a job that was oh-so-wrong for me to be a personal trainer. Training isn’t the be-all-end-all for me, but it’s a step in the right direction. The first of many positive steps I hope :)

121 Christina January 22, 2010

Great post Angela and happy 1 year anniversary of happiness! I think too often we equate quitting with failure, or taking the easy way out, when it can actually be the hardest yet best thing to do.

I’m stubborn and always had the mentality that you had to stick with whatever you start so I understand how scary it is to identify when you need to make a change. Congrats!

122 Lauren January 23, 2010

I can’t help it! You’ve inspired me to blog! I am seeking clarity and balance with a seaside flare. Trying to avoid food as a focus, but we’ve already installed the BBQ on the back railing. Check out our 25″ sailboat adventure!
LP

123 Bobbie January 23, 2010

Congratulations!! You are such an inspiration – I cannot begin to tell you how much reading your blog has changed my life. I only came across it a few weeks ago but your Road to Health series has already started me off on my journey. I hadn’t yet read the “A Year Can Change A Lot” and I am now only on Part 6 but SO MUCH is resonating (as well as keeping me on the edge of my seat!) I have literally just now applied for a savings account because of your post about how savings gives you choice (same old story – in a job I hate but have dreams of something happier!) I have thrown out my scale and started to eat more and more healthily. From helping me with my eating disordered thoughts (the post I just read about “default thinking” is AMAZING and filled with practical advice, as is all the advice about binge eating) to career guidance and inspiring me to save money – your blog has helped me so much.

I feel so lucky to have found it – I can’t beleive it is only a year old and has so many stellar posts that are touching and relatable and helpful. Thank you so much for posting your journey xxx

124 AGS January 23, 2010

This was very nicely composed. I immediately started thinking of my “anniversaries”. . .

My “quitting” my job was strategic, I had planned in for months, and everything figured out for the next year, and this worked well. But finally getting to a career that I love and can see myself for the long-term was something of a leap of faith. Everything was perfect about the job except the field: I didn’t know anything about aviation a year ago. I remember telling myself, “OK, just try this for a year, give it all you have, and then you can leave if it doesn’t suit you.” Wow — I’m so glad I was willing to try new options!

125 Megan January 23, 2010

Angela, your posts are amazing. I am in that place where you were last year, and reading about your journey gives me such inspiration to keep striving for a better situation. I am a lawyer now, and it is a career that has felt completely wrong from day 1. However, due to student loans I managed to stick with it for 5 years out of financial necessity. Now that I’ve dug myself out of that hole, every day I think to myself, “I must find a way out.” I have no idea where my future will take me, but reading your blog makes me feel a little less trapped, and reminds me that it is possible forge my own path despite life’s challenges. Thank you.

126 Robin January 23, 2010

Wow. . . only a year! I must tell you that I think you are sooooo fabulous at this blog-thing you got going! You seem like a seasoned pro at it all! Everything is so well-written and your personality shines through (and that is a GOOD thing!). An ‘air-toast’ to you to many more years of success with your business-and I hope you never give up the blogging!

127 Jenny January 23, 2010

Congrats on your one year anniversary of turning your life around in the direction that makes you happy! You are such an inspiration to me. And you help me to know that even if my goals right now don’t work out as planned(what ever does), that I WILL find happiness one day if I listen to myself.

Happy bday to Sketchie!

128 Gracie @ Girl Meets Health January 23, 2010

That post was so inspiring. Really. I’m at a job right now where I’m *content,* but I don’t know how long that’s going to last. As a recent college grad, I feel like I don’t have the opportunity yet to “chase my dream,” instead I just have to make as much money as I can….

That’s one of the reasons I started my blog. I needed to have something that was *mine*….part of my passion in life. It really has made my 9-5 job much bearable because I know that I have blogging to come home to :) I hope that I have the courage to make changes in my life as soon as I’m unhappy with things. Your honesty and optomism is definitely an encouragement, so thanks :)

129 sarah January 23, 2010

yay for you! about 3 yrs ago i had a high stress job with crazy hours…i cried most days, was too stressed to eat (at one point a coworker informed me that i looked like an anemic cancer patient), and was prescribed ambien after being awake for days because my internal clock was so screwed up…then i had my first run-in with a supervisor b/c i refused to stay until 3 am one night (there were many others to ask and i had the most 3rd shifts that week and my dad just had surgery and i was so tired i feared i’d make a mistake and hurt someone- i am a blood banker so it’s a real possibility!)…and the next day i put in my notice. it was the most irresponsible thing i’ve ever done. a week after i left i was offered a higher position elsewhere. it’s hard to decide what we need to be happy, but it’s always worth the struggle when we find out!

130 Angie January 23, 2010

Wow- what a great story! And, I’ve loved reading through others’ comments as well.

I agree with others, many of us face situations like you did a year ago.

Your courage is inspiring. It hopefully makes the tears worth it.

131 Leah @ losing-2-win.blogspot.com January 23, 2010

You are very courageous and oh so inspiring! I have recently started a journey towards a healthier life and I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and getting ideas and inspiration along the way. I too have started to think about where I am and where I could be if I had the courage to step out of my comfort zone. I can’t wait until I can celebrate my quit-iversary some day.

132 Jenn (eating bender) January 26, 2010

Happy Belated Anniversary, Angela! I hope to be able to talk to you more about this very soon :) I’m sorry to be so MIA lately – but I will be in touch soon, m’dear!

133 cassie April 9, 2010

i just saw this post and i’m so glad i did… first congrats on your anniversary and congrats on taking the leap of faith a year ago to leave your job.. i am going through a very similar transition and it’s not easy.. i have been in graduate school since last year and working a very stressful job and realized that i couldn’t handle both so i decided to take a break from school which was such a hard decision for me.. but i needed to as my stress level was insane… thanks for this post, i needed it..

134 Rachel July 15, 2010

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading your blog for awhile, but this is my first time leaving a comment. After reading your story about how you changed careers, I just have to let you know that your courage has been a huge inspiration to me! I have found myself coming back to read your story over and over because I have been working up the courage to leave my job and start up my own independent business. I am nervous, anxious, scared etc. but most of all excited to do something new. Just as you were at one time… I have been miserable for well over a year at my current position and finally decided I just can’t it anymore. Your story has definitely inspired me to take this huge leap of faith and has shown me that taking a risk to find happiness is worth more than playing it safe! Thanks a million :)

135 D July 25, 2010

Hi Angela,
Like so many others, your blog has been inspirational to me. Tonight specifically I was feeling really anxious about my thesis project. I am going into my second year now, and i am still struggling with making a solid proposal- the politics you described in earlier posts were bang on- what will be most appealing vs. what do i WANT to write? will my supervisor approve? am i asking important questions or am i totally insane?!
I have in the past left jobs that made me unhappy, under-appreciated and worthless, but they were never careers- it was a lot easier to say sayonara to a restaurant manager then to my seemingly destined life path…haha
I would not say that I have reached that point where I want to leave, but I will say that you helped me relax (even if only for tonight) about the outcome of this grueling process. Seeing your graduation pictures were somewhat a foreshadowing of my fate (for i know, like you I will not give up before finishing)! Yet, keeping the bigger picture in mind, I will definitely continue to reconsider the next step of my future (PhD) and nurture the new dreams which have spawned from my current doubts.
I always used to like the old statement: “just do your best!” But thinking about it more closely, it doesn’t mean working as well as you can at something that disables you in other areas of your life. You can only do your best if you are feeling your best, and in some things we do, that just isn’t possible, is it? You are a great example of doing what makes you your best!
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your insights which are always so helpful and reassuring; I hope that in some indirect way, I can one day return the favor.

136 Melissa August 16, 2010

Hi Angela, Your story is so inspiring. I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago and have been hooked ever since. I have been reading it while I”m meant to be studying.. studying for a job that is currently making me extremely depressed and unhappy. When I read your story I started to cry because it just reminds me so much of everything I have been going through and for what?! Unfortunately right at the moment I can not quit however because of money problems but your story really opened my eyes.. wide! Anyway continue blogging I love reading your posts. Thanks, Melissa

137 Brande Plotnick October 25, 2012

Inspiring story! I am still in a job that leaves me empty and bored on good days and leaves me terribly depressed on the bad days. I am faced with lots of student loan debt taken out, ironically, to get me exactly the career I have but now don’t want. I will have to make more of a dent in that before I can utter those sweet words, “I quit!”.

138 Katerine August 20, 2013

Angela, you are such an inspiration to me. I recently quit my job and debated with this decision for about 6 months. Although, I am currently on rocky grounds, I have never felt happier, optimistic and simply thankful for all the things I have despite not having a job. I ran across your blog by accident looking for a wheat berry recipe lol. I am 25 years old and I refuse to just go with the motions , like so many people I know do, just to secure money and a comfortable living without truly taking time to discover their true callings in life. I am glad I found your blog and your success story.

139 Josie May 11, 2014

I’ve just stumbled across your blog as I’m pondering my own blog (but I’m so indecisive it’s unreal!).
I am someone who is currently stuck in a job that has caused me the most crippling anxiety, but I am petrified to leave. I have spent the last 5 years of my life training to do this job, and I just don’t know if I could justify it. It’s awful that I feel my well-being and mental health is second best to my career.

I hope I discover the same courage that so many other people have to leave, get better, and pursue a passion.
Perhaps i was meant to discover this blog today.

140 Alexis July 16, 2015

This was such a beautiful post! I know I’m pretty past-due on reading it, but that doesn’t stop it from being inspirational.

I accidentally started my family off while I was in the middle of college. I was excited about my daughter, but in the stress of being pregnant and making ends meet, I quit college. On the one hand, it was a terrible waste of money. On the other hand, I wasn’t happy with where I was going anyway, and I wouldn’t have done anything with the degree. With a new daughter to support, though, I ended up making my part-time job a full-time job, and it turned into a career in banking. The truth is, I hated it. Every day, I hated it. Finally, when my daughter was 4, I took the leap of faith and decided to quit my job. My husband supported my decision, because I’d been lamenting about wanting to do it for awhile. I wanted to be a freelance artist.

So one day, in 2012, I did it. I hung up the phone after a particularly nasty phone call with a general contractor who had nothing but terrible things to say to me, and I smiled and said, “That’s the push I’ve been needing. I’m DONE.” I quit. Then, for the next week, I bawled and panicked and kept asking my forever-patient husband, “WHAT HAVE I DONE!?” I was like Rapunzel in my daughter’s favorite scene out of “Tangled” where she goes back and forth between terror and exhilaration after her freedom from the tower.

I tried to be an illustrator, but to be honest, I was afraid. I was afraid of failing, so I never tried very hard. I was afraid of succeeding, too, I think. I gave it a very meager go, and then fell into a hole of depression. I lost my creativity, I lost my will to decorate the house.. even cleaning everything was monumental. 3 years later, I’ve finally decided [with dread,] to suck it up and go back into the work force. We can afford me being home, but if I had an income, we could do so much more. We could travel, buy a new couch, upgrade our old cars…

But gosh, how nice it would have been if I’d actually tried harder..! I am inspired by your vigor and your bravery. This post was only written a year after you quit, but I can see by the website that you’ve turned your hard work into success… it inspires me to maybe give my dream one last go and release the fear of failure….

Thank you.