How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

IMG 9271 thumb   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

Not bad for juice pulp, eh?

IMG 9277 thumb   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

I decided to make a super quick chickpea salad using the leftover juice pulp!

Leftover Juice Pulp Chickpea Salad

Chickpea salad Ingredients:

• 2 T EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • leftover juice pulp (I had 1 cup’s worth?)
  • 1/2 clove minced garlic (optional)
  • pinch sea salt
  • bit of water as needed

Directions: Throw above ingredients into a food processor and process just for a few seconds until chopped. Stir well. Throw about 1 cup of chickpea mixture on a romaine and cherry tomato salad. Sprinkle with paprika and black pepper. Top with favourite dressing (mine was homemade balsamic vinaigrette).

Perfecto!

I love big salads.

IMG 9273 thumb   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

My mother in law’s favourite joke when I make myself a salad is, ‘Are you going to eat all of that?!’ She’s super impressed by how many veggies I can pack down. ;) I eat ‘em like a champ.

The lemon in the pulp gave the salad a fresh ZING!

Dessert was a yet-to-be-named GLUTEN-FREE Glo Bar, which will be hitting Glo Bakery in upcoming weeks!!! Eric and I are obsessed with this bar. I am so proud of it and I know it will do you guys proud! After 6 trials, I almost gave up hope, but I am so glad I did the 7th trial for this bar. :)

IMG 9306 thumb   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

It is DA BOMB, my friends.

IMG 9290 thumb   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

Remember when I told you that an immediate family member of ours was diagnosed with testicular cancer?

Well I have good news to report!!!!!!!!!

He had the surgery and the cancer was removed. The CT scan and blood work all came back normal, so he was given the thumbs up for being cancer free! :D He does not need chemo like we all feared.

We are so incredibly relieved, and obviously so is he. He realizes how lucky he is and is so happy to put this behind him.

However, I thought it was really interesting to note that his entire diet has changed since he received his diagnosis.

Before the diagnosis he was eating a meat-heavy diet, few vegetables, and he ate out for lunch every single day at work.

Since being diagnosed, he has done a complete 180 with respect to what he eats.

Here are some of the things he is now consuming:

• Fresh juice from a juicer
  • Green Monsters
  • Healthy packed lunch to work everyday now
  • New veggies like kale and avocados
  • Reduced meat consumption

It has totally impacted his life in a positive way! I am so proud of him for the changes he has made. :)

Do you think your diet would change if you were diagnosed with an illness? If so, what would you change?

~~~

I’m off to clean up the kitchen after a long day on my feet. Totally zonked & hoping I can fall asleep earlier tonight! Sleep deprivation and baking all day do not mix. On a brighter note, I had a crazy good workout this morning. Love getting it done first thing. :) Oh, isn’t American Idol beginning tonight with Miss ELLEN!? Please say yes! LOVE HER.

PS- Blogging is SO much quicker now that my hyperlinks work! I may be able to squeeze out 2 posts a day on some days now. :) I didn’t realize how much it was slowing me down.

Angela Signature thumb12   How Would Illness Change Your Diet?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 12, 2010

That is such wonderful news that he is ok!!

I eat a balanced, healthy diet now, and don’t think I’d have much to change if I got sick. It is amazing how some people change, tho.

Heather January 12, 2010

I’m a new reader of your blog (the last month or so) — just made the breakfast pudding this morning, doing a modified whittle my middle (due to lower back issues), and am super excited about the gluten free Glo Bars. I’m sure I’ll be one of the first orders when you’re ready :-)

Marisa (Loser for Life) January 12, 2010

That is the most delicious looking salad! I LOVE chickpeas!

I wouldn’t change the way I eat if I were diagnosed with an illness. I would probably be more determined to keep my diet as clean and healthy as possible :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 12, 2010

I hope that you can crank out 2 posts a day! Your posts are always the first that I tackle from my reader. :-)

Melissa January 12, 2010

So glad to hear the great news about your family member! : )

I got to thinking about your diet changing question and I think I did change my diet because of an “illness”. Although the illness might not be cancer or some incurable disease I used to be overweight, constantly lethargic, and have low self-esteem seems like an illness to me.

Marissa January 12, 2010

That salad looks so good!!! I eat vegan now so I don’t think I would change my diet

Leah January 12, 2010

Thats SUCH great news about your family member!!

Im looking forward to the gluten free Glo Bar!! YAY!!

Samantha January 12, 2010

The chickpea salad looks great! Congrats on your new glow bar! I have yet to try some of your glo bars. If I could change one thing about my diet, it would be to cut out meat and dairy, and go vegan. It just seems so hard. I know nothing about vegan diets, and I prefer the taste of real milk over soy milk. I know that it would help me be healthier. I’ll probably have to start out slow, and wean myself from animal consumption. Your recipes look so good. Congrats about your family member! It is great that he is now cancer free. I look forward to reading your blogposts; they are so uplifting and inspiring.

Maureen January 12, 2010

Try Almond milk it tastes a lot better than soy.

Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 12, 2010

try hemp milk—yumm

SweetKaroline January 13, 2010

some soy milks are way better than others as well.

i can’t stand the Silk brand but Edensoy makes a great soy milk.

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 12, 2010

What’s in the new bar? Congrats on finding a successful recipe – 7x the charm! Your salad looks outta this world.

Mrs. Money January 12, 2010

Glad to hear that!

I’m excited about your gluten free Glo Bar! YAY!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 12, 2010

So glad to hear your family member is doing well!

I eat pretty healthy already… would probably up the veggies :)

erin January 12, 2010

YES!!! my diet has changed many times in the face of illness. first off, when i learned i had celiac disease, i had to do a major revamp and learn how to eat without gluten (so i am SUPER EXCITED about your GF glo bar!!). then, a few years later, my brother was diagnosed with cancer. he is still dealing with it today, and a diet full of veggies and antioxidants seems to help him keep going. in light of his struggles, i also started researching healthier, anti-cancer ways of eating and living, and have recently turned vegetarian (nearly vegan, even!). it is good for EVERYONE. i’ve also started doing yoga.

but for me, it’s more than just the anti-cancer side of things. i don’t want to support factory farming, or eat anything that is factory farmed! eating a plant-based diet is one of the best things you can do for yourself AND for the environment. i just plain feel good about it.

Angela January 12, 2010

I’m glad to here that your family member got such good news! My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago (she is now completely cancer free) and that changed the way I look at everything. My diet changed ALOT, I didn’t eat horribly before but it wasn’t great. I cut out most processed food, cut out dairy, very limited meat, and stuffed my face with tons of fruits and veggies. I also went back to my first love, running and I haven’t looked back sense. Everything I eat I always think what is this food going to do for me and my body?

Maxine January 12, 2010

So nice to hear that he is better. Since people in my family have been diagnosed with cancer, I have changed my diet even more; more organic produce and meat, an antioxidant multivitamin, and looking at the ORAC value of food. I have also balanced my training to not stress my body out with workouts lasting more than 2 hours.

EaterNotARunner January 12, 2010

I think i would incorporate more fresh green juices.

Mae @ OhhMay January 12, 2010

When I was injured, I really decided it was time to kick my weight gain into gear. I worked so hard to get my body to a healthy weight so it would have a chance to heal.

Karen January 12, 2010

Hi Angela,
I have noticed that a lot of healthy food bloggers have taken to juicing and then using the pulp later for something else. I was wondering what the nutritional value of the pulp was…or is it just roughage and all the good stuff was already extracted into the juice?? Could you enlighten me? Thanks!

Maria (Tough Cookie) January 12, 2010

I was diagnosed with an “incurable” neurological disease that has tried to debilitate me. I changed my entire life, including going raw vegan. I write all about it in my blog.

Sending healing to your family xoxo

kim January 12, 2010

Can’t wait to try the GF Glo Bar! YAY!

lisa January 12, 2010

Hi
I used to take major meds every day for my migraines. After a year of GFCFSF eating (there are the moments I treat myself…because I am not allergic, just sensitive) and acupuncture, I very rarely have them. Oh- I forgot, I also cut out diet coke and seriously upped the agua.
Now, I am trying to eliminate refined sugar. AND, I have fallen in love with green monsters.

Lauren January 12, 2010

GF Glo Bar!!! You rock! Can’t wait!

So glad to hear about your family member! Whoo hoo!

And I don’t think I would change my diet- it’s already pretty darn good! Maybe juice a little bit! Not sure… I do know that I would start an intense yoga/meditation program, read, read, read and laugh! Laughter heals all! ;P

Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 12, 2010

First for all they look delicious and I am SO excited that you are making them for those of us who can’t eat gluten. you’re going to be a VERY busy lady now :)

I am glad that the relative is happy

Now…would you change your diet…? You’re looking at a girl who has had to.

I was hospitlised in Dec 2008 and have TOTALLY changed my diet. No more artificial sweeteners, hardly any meat, no gluten or dairy.

Veggies, rice, beans and tea. The only ways that my life was going to change is by changing my diet.

It’s saved my life.

~M

Stacy January 12, 2010

Too funny! My dad says the same thing when I sit down to a huge salad at their house “You’re gonna eat ALL that?”….They never understand…

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place January 12, 2010

In response to your question, I absolutely think that illness would make me eat a healthier diet!! however, I eat mostly healthy foods now in hopes of preventing illness and preserving my health.

by the way, your new glo bar looks awesome!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind January 12, 2010

You know, I think my diet would stay relatively the same. Maybe bump up the antioxidant-rich things. And more green tea! :)

Judy January 12, 2010

hi Angela! I have been following your blog and you are most inspiring…I went raw 7 weeks ago in hopes to ease my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) . I am starting to incorporate some cooked veggies now, and I will probably end up a high raw person. I love your vegan recipes and I am so excited about your gluten free glo bar! I am staying away from all allergens, like dairy and gluten to see if that will help my yukky RA.

Thanks for your blog…I love reading your posts and following your workouts. I guess I will have to start whittling my middle!

alison January 12, 2010

when i was diagnosed with something, i already ate a clean diet but honestly, getting sick had an opposite effect on me. for some reason i was like: if i take all this effort and time to take care of myself how am i getting sick? though i stick with eating healthy even with my sickness, it can be frustrating when healthy people do get sick. thats great that your fam member was the opposite in that he used his sickness to overcome his eating habits and get healthier. good story!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 12, 2010

I eat very, very healthy as is, so I don’t think I would change much. But I have witnessed through other people how much impact changing one’s diet can have in terms of beating illnesses (even cancer). Pretty impressive!

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness January 12, 2010

There’s a really great book in the psychology field on this topic. It explains that SO MANY people faced with a situation in which they are told they need to make adjustments to lifestyle (eating, drinking, health, working out, etc) or they will die actually DON’T make a change. We like to think we would if faced with that decision, but so many don’t. There are certainly exceptions out there, of course. And then the other question this book raises is if we think we WOULD change our habits if faced with that decision, why aren’t we already changing them? It’s really interesting!
I’m so happy to hear that your friend’s cancer is gone AND that he has made such healthy lifestyle changes! What a wonderful outcome!

Mrs. Muffins January 12, 2010

My mom had breast cancer and ever since, i’ve tried to take care of myself really well. I really feel like hers was more lifestyle related than it was genetic. I also believe diet plays a huge factor in whether or not we get certain illnesses but it’s never too late to start eating healthy, either!
xx

Meg's Gut January 12, 2010

My diet actually has changed because of an illness.
With Crohn’s disease I am free of gluten, dairy, refined sugars and a few other foods.
I eat tons of veggies, minimal fruit (as there is too much sugar) and lean meats with healthy grains and fats!
Check out my blog :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 12, 2010

I like gigantic salads too! It’s interesting you bring up the topic of food and an illness. It’s not something I would have given much thought to until I met a fabulous blogger named Alicia (http://veganepicurean.blogspot.com/). You should read her story. I won’t go into all the details, but they now follow a vegan diet and it seems to be make a major difference for them. It certainly has made me think a lot more about what I eat.

Laura January 13, 2010

I second this! The recipes Alicia makes up are amazing, inspired and very healthy!

Heather January 12, 2010

I can’t wait for the GF Glo Bar!! It looks good! Can you give us a hint as to what’s inside???

Jolene January 12, 2010

That is scary to think about illness … but it is important to think about. The way I would eat if I was very ill, is how I should be eating now. I think I should keep that juicer.

Karla January 12, 2010

Wow your salad looks delicious! This makes me want a HUGE salad for dinner!

Anna January 12, 2010

mmmm I love huge salads so much I eat them out of a serving bowl! That’s such a relief about your family member!!!
p.s. I absolutely love your blog, your recipes (just ate a huge bowl of lentil soup for dinner yumyum), your attitude, your drive, etc etc you are such a role model for other young women :)

Kelly Michelle January 12, 2010

I would LOVE two posts a day from you!! I just love seeing what you eat too even things that are not recipes per se inspire me on things to put together for meals!

I doubt I would change much about my diet. Maybe try and buy more organic produce and eggs (don’t eat meat or dairy). But I would like to do that soon anyways, right now I just can’t afford it, although I do some, I eat such huge quantities of veggies my bill is too high already!

Kate January 12, 2010

I’ve changed a LOT of my behaviors since my cervical cancer diagnosis. I eat much, much differently now, following the suggestions from my naturopathically-minded doctor; I’ve lowered my meat consumption, drink fresh juices, increased my consumption of green veggies, eat mostly raw, think about the order/mixture of my food types, etc etc etc.

I’ve also committed myself to daily exercise that is heavy on yoga. There’s a wealth of health psych research out there about the positive impact exercise, particularly yoga, can have on cancer prognosis. I also pay attention to the chemicals I’m putting on and in my body. I now only use cosmetics and hygiene products that are free from carcinogenic chemicals. It’s really amazing the absolutely terrible things we’re routinely sold under the pretense that they’re safe. There’s a reason breast cancer rates, for instance, have been soaring in our society.

While my diagnosis was and is scary, and I’d certainly take having a complete cervix any day, I am thankful for the changes I’ve been encouraged to make. I am very much in remission and feel healthier than I ever have in my life.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope January 12, 2010

Wow, that salad looks delicious Angela!!! I just LOVE chickpeas. :)

I’m so happy to hear the good news about your family member!!! Cancer is one of the scariest diseases to have to fight, simply because we all feel so helpless. But it’s so true that lifestyle changes can make all the difference in healing.

xxoo
Heather

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now January 12, 2010

Very interesting thought about changing your diet after finding out you have an illness. Also, good luck falling asleep tonight!

Page 1 of 3123»