Easy Vegan Holiday Party Appetizers: Take 1

IMG_7877

I first tried Candied Almonds at Thanksgiving. I was in love.

I filed Candied Almonds away in my mental ‘must make before I die, but preferably sooner’ folder.

With our 1st Annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party coming up this Friday, I knew I had to make an appetizer game plan– it is already Wednesday and I haven’t had a chance to even think about the party, let alone what Ugly Sweater I am going to wear!

IMG_7891

Vegan Candied Almonds

I used David Lebovitz’s Candied peanuts recipe and modified it, of course.

Ingredients:

4 cups raw almonds
2 cups Turbinado sugar
1 cup water
a sprinkle of fine grain sea salt
1 T vegan margarine

Directions: Place sugar, water, margarine, and almonds into a large saucepan. Mix well and place over medium heat. Stir frequently making sure the sauce coats the almonds. After about 10-15 mins. the almonds will appear to harden and dry out, don’t worry this is normal. When this happens place over low heat to avoid burning. When there is no syrup left, sprinkle with sea salt, and remove from heat giving one final stir and let cool completely before transferring to an air tight container.

For more detailed directions and photos, see here.

Am I ever glad that I made a double batch!!! It made this sized bowl plus another 1.5 bowls!

IMG_7890

This is what I like to call Splurge Worthy.

I think this appetizer will go very quickly at the party. :D Hopefully I can get some too… ;)

Have you ever had homemade candied nuts? Do you like them? Have you ever made them yourself?

~~~~

Forgot to mention, Whittle My Middle recap is up on the abs page! Today’s workout is also on the run page.

Stay tuned for more Holiday vegan appetizers leading right up to the party! I can’t wait to show you what else I am making.

Have a great day everyone!

Angela_Signature

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 16, 2009

I made these and also use the turbinado sugar – it made all the difference!! I read David’s blog all the time – he has fab ideas.

2 Chloe (No Sugar and Spice) December 16, 2009

What a great idea! Isn’t it funny how some recipes you’ve always made also happen to be vegan/vegetarian/dairy free or anything else you’re trying to avoid? It makes everything so much easier. Those look great, I must try them!

3 Julie @savvyeats December 16, 2009

Yum! Love candied nuts. I’ve made them in the crockpot, but I think your method might be better!

4 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 16, 2009

After trying the Sahale nuts…I knew I could do better. I plan on making my own verson sometime soon as well. Yours look yummy!

5 Hannah December 16, 2009

Girl your abs are amazing! I did this challenge too but didn’t measure anything, but it’s amazing how strong I’m feeling. So inspiring! :)

6 Estela @ Weekly Bite December 16, 2009

I LOVE the smello f these when they’re baking!

7 VeggieGirl December 16, 2009

Yep! Love candied nuts :)

8 Sarah Jayne December 16, 2009

Candied nuts are good, but I personally prefer savory flavors! Rosemary is my favorite with almonds :)

9 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) December 16, 2009

I make candied nuts every year, but I used mixed nuts, and I use sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. I toss them in egg whites, and then the sugar and spices and bake for a bit.

10 Jenny December 16, 2009

What is turbinado sugar? Looks great though!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2009
12 Ameena December 16, 2009

I love candied walnuts but I can’t make them at home otherwise I just keep eating them until they are gone!

13 Annie D. December 16, 2009

YUM!!!!!! OMG Angela, these look great!!!

14 Carolyn December 16, 2009

Oh, man!! I still need an ugly sweater for this Saturday!! I may have to make one.

15 Anne Marie @ New Weigh of Life December 16, 2009

I love candied nuts, espeically when they look like yours does!

16 Kimberly Lee December 16, 2009

Oh wow, those look absolutely delish!

17 Janna (Just Flourishing) December 16, 2009

Yum! Those are a definitely must-make for me.

I think I tried to make candied nuts once… but it didn’t work.

18 rebecca lustig December 16, 2009

oh yum, those look DELICIOUS!

19 Jordan December 16, 2009

Delicious! I toasted almonds with olive oil and herbs de provence, a pinch of cayenne and sea salt and pepper the other night and they were a hit. I can’t wait to make these! Now I’m thinking about other possibilities, sesame coated almonds perhaps? Possibilities are endless! :)

20 Emily December 16, 2009

OMG. Candied pecans are the best e-vah.

But instead of butter, I use egg whites and a splash of water. It’s amazing to say the least…and a little sprinkle of chipotle keeps it interesting.

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 16, 2009

They look awesome! I have never made candied nuts before – but I am keen to give tamari almonds a try :)

22 Haleigh December 16, 2009

I love candied almonds. One of my favorite holiday treats :) Yours look delicious!

23 Karla December 16, 2009

Yum! My family would like those and probably wouldn’t know they’re vegan!

24 Kristy December 16, 2009

I have a spiced nuts recipe my mom gave me, amazing!

25 Micco December 16, 2009

I’ve made candied pecans using the recipe in The Joy of Vegan baking. Soo easy and delicious. This year, they’re going to be part of the array of edible gifts I’m making!

You should try making them spicy. Nothing beats spicy sweet.

26 Maureen December 16, 2009

do you have a recipe for spicy sweet?

27 Micco December 16, 2009

Oh, speaking of spicy sweet, you might be interested in this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/toasted-cecchi-almonds-and-pistachios-recipe/index.html

I’ve never tried it, but I’ve dreamed of it since she premiered it on a Christmas episode a few years ago.

28 Ella December 16, 2009

I once attempted to make candied ginger…… and failed.

I am dying to made candied almonds, though.
They are so addicting… I went to a big production up north not long ago and they sold cinnamon candied almonds.. like.. a popcorn substitute.
It was hell.

29 Christie December 16, 2009

Hey Angela!!

I sometimes make candied pecans to use in salads – but I make them in the frying pan, with equal parts balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and brown sugar.. sticky gooey and fabulous!! Once they cool down, they taste amazing… and I always have a hard time waiting until they cool!

In the summer I use them in spinach salad, with strawberries, goat cheese or feta, and some finely sliced red onion…. Yum!

30 Paige @ Running Around Normal December 16, 2009

These sound fabulous!! Wish I was coming just so I could eat all these candied almonds! haha
PS Your WMM results look wonderful!

31 Chelsea December 16, 2009

I may eat the whole bowl!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2009

thanks everyone!!!

33 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 16, 2009

Hey!
Do you have to use that specific sugar? Or can you just use regular stuff?

34 Alex December 16, 2009

Holy yum! those look unreal….

35 Kim December 16, 2009

I always love your blog, but I have to admit this post almost made me jump in excitement when I saw it! I’m a huuuuge almond nut. Love, love, love them. But ever since I cut out sugar for health reasons, I haven’t had candied nuts. I miss them so much around the holidays, especially when the Nuts for Nuts carts hit the sidewalks in NYC. They smell so delicious. I’m going to try these over Christmas with agave nectar. I know I’ll have to experiment with it a bit, but this recipe looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

(and good luck with the ugly sweater party)

36 Kristine December 16, 2009

Your abs look so good!!! It’s amazing what some ab work can do, huh?! Congrats :)

37 Kristine December 16, 2009

38 Leah December 16, 2009

I made candied pecans once – they were wonderful! I used maple syrup though.
These look awesome, I love almonds so I may have to try them out.

39 Runeatrepeat December 16, 2009

Those look so good :)

40 Christina December 16, 2009

Those look so yummy! thank for the recipe! I am going to my parents Christmas eve and I may just make these and bring them along :)

xoxox

41 Mary (Food Fit & Fun) December 16, 2009

I love candied nuts! I make mine slightly differently…first I toast the nuts in the oven and then melt sugar gradually in a saucepan and add the nuts to the pan with some salt. Yours looks really, really good though! I’ll have to try out your way of making them!

42 Nicole, MS, RD, LD December 16, 2009

Nope, I’ve never made homemade candied nuts….but when I do, it’ll probably be that recipe. Those look WONDERFUL!

43 A December 16, 2009

Your abs are to die for! You looked great before, but i can’t believe the difference a month made. Goodness!

44 Jil December 16, 2009

Angela, those look sooo good.

45 Ashley December 16, 2009

Candied nuts rock!! I have made them a few times with various types of nuts. Awesome job with the ab workout. You looked great before but can definitely see a difference. I can’t believe you shed 2.5″ being so slim already, amazing!! I was keeping to it for a good 2-3 weeks 5x a week and definitely saw changes..I need to get back to it. It’s not like me to stop something like that! It’s also awesome that you actually notice a difference in how your body feels. I hope this comment posts because I’ve been having problems with them showing up on your blog. My last 3 comments in previous posts haven’t shown up. Weird!?

46 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 17, 2009

YUMMMMY, great idea!!

So darlin….I need ideas for a vegan christmas dinner??? EEEKKKK

XXOO

47 TanyaS December 17, 2009

I made some for my office “Treat of the Day”, I threw in some cayenne to kick it up a bit.

They were a hit.

48 Elly December 17, 2009

They look delicious! I’m going to make them for Christmas Day with the fam.

49 Katie December 17, 2009

Your photos of the almonds make me wish I liked nuts! I just got a new camera and am going a little crazy with the picture-taking, but seeing yours, I’ve got a lot to learn!

Congrats on the abs success! 2.5 inches is really impressive!

50 Kristina December 17, 2009

I just can’t wait to read your Ugly X-Mas Sweater Party post… I know it’s going to be fun!! :)

and since this was “part one” I’m looking forward to more of these!! :)

Happy Holidays to you, Angela Eric & Sketchie!

51 Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) December 17, 2009

Yum! Candied almonds!!!

xo
K

52 Miriam December 17, 2009

Good day!

I wanted to THANK YOU for the 30 days core-challenge (you should really put a comments section on your abs page!)! I did not loose an inch but I can now see my abs very clearly! I took some before & after pics but I had no time to put them up my computer (and the after pics aren’t good because I had no one to take it for me lol)! This challenge has been very motivational since I knew that other people -and you- were “with me” in it! ;) I will keep the abs-good work : I am still doing abs 3-4 times a week (which I neglected for too long!).

People at the gym were asking me why I was doing so many abs workouts and my answer was that I am doing a challenge “co petitioning” with people “I know” ;) lol However I did not succeed to get anyone there doing it with me…!

Angela, you do a great-motivational/inspiring job with this blog, keep going!!

Miriam