You May Be A Holiday Superwoman If…

The holiday season is surely an exciting time each year. There is a feeling in the air, a certain je ne sais quoi. It may be hard not to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season and fall into the mindset that you have to do it all.

Some of us, notably the female species, fall into the Holiday Superwoman Trap.

The Holiday Superwoman feels that she has to do it all.

GirlDrinking

With a glimmer in her eyes that could only be the result of too much spiked eggnog, she puts on her Reindeer Antlers and claims that this will be the Best. Holiday. Ever.

Be careful, You May Be A Holiday Superwoman If You…

• Write oodles Holiday cards until you can no longer feel your fingers
  • Obsess over the perfect gift for family and friends, often staying up until 3am browsing the internet for ideas
  • Drive 2000 miles to visit every family member, on both sides, including your 8th cousin Bertha whom you have never met
  • Your electricity bill goes up $8,000 dollars in the month of December

ugly-christmas-lights

• Over-book your Little Black Book with Little Black Dress required parties, most of which you aren’t sure who the host is
  • You start designing your Ugly Holiday Sweater on January 1st every year.
  • Bake for days on end, so much so that you decide you would never want to be a Glo Bakery employee after all
  • Insist on cooking and bringing the turkey to someone else’s turkey dinner
  • Insist on sending out holiday cards with Fluffy dressed up as a reindeer and scream at the photographer when dear Fluffy pees on Santa’s Sleigh

lens7059852_1253244920funny-christmas-cards-cat

• You have Holiday lingerie that involves flashing lights, a Rudolph nose, and pom poms.
  • You make everyone, including your significant other, refer to you as Mrs. Claus
  • You go Christmas Caroling at 5 in the morning to beat the crowds
  • You start to cry when you realize your boyfriend ate the Christmas Eve chocolate from your advent calendar TWO WEEKS EARLY.

advent-calendar

Watch out, she (or HE!) could be right behind you!

national-lampoons-christmas-vacation-800-75

Are you a Holiday Superwoman?

Angela_Signature

Coming up on OSG- My top 10 tips for staying healthy during the holidays!

1 Karla December 6, 2009

Haha! I love this! I wish I could be a holiday superwoman!

2 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama December 6, 2009

Love the list – they made me laugh out loud!!!

3 Tay December 6, 2009

You stress about writing a creative Christmas card because everyone has high expectations now – so you start thinking of ideas a year early!! AKA my mom. haha

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

haha I love that one!

5 Julia December 6, 2009

Hilarious!

6 Kelly December 6, 2009

Haha, oh man! I am definitely not a holiday super woman!

7 Christen December 6, 2009

This is a GREAT article, and funny! Love it!

8 EaterNotARunner December 6, 2009

Haha I wish I had holiday lingerie! Hilarious post I love it.

9 Cynthia (It All Changes) December 6, 2009

I used to be hoiday super woman. Now the holidays are just about relaxing and remembering the real reason I celebrate.

10 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 6, 2009

Oh NO…it is scary how many of these list items apply to me! Uh oh…

In fact, I took a break from addressing Christmas cards and taking care of some online holiday gift-buying to read this post!

Eh, whatever– it’s all part of the fun!

11 caitlin December 6, 2009

HAHAHAHHA

i refuse to send out cards this year, i just dont have the time or mental strength.

also, i think im sending out IOUs on the xmas presents because i don’t have any money.

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

I know im the same way…I may have to get Eric to write some…LOL.

13 Lauren December 6, 2009

Haha! Love the advent calendar one- when I was little if someone had eaten the 24th chcocolate I probably would have cried! It was the BEST chocolate!! lol

14 Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 6, 2009

Hahaha love this list. I have to admit I definitely do some of the things on here (although I won’t admit which ones ;) )

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

hahah do tell, do tell ;)

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

Can anyone guess what HSW things I do? ;)

17 Jewel December 6, 2009

Definitely the sweater! After all you have that adorable party you are throwing!

And the cards…I will vote for the cards…ummmm and the gifts.

Me? I gave up cards after I my second one started school…too many things to volunteer for when you have two!

I turned into Mrs. Claus instead.

18 Jewel December 6, 2009

OH…and we are definitely guilty of bringing the turkey…to the other house that has the turkey! Of course that is Hubs department…not mine.

19 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 6, 2009

Ha, I love this list. I’ll have to think of one today, I still need coffee before the cleverness returns. ;)

20 Joanna December 6, 2009

I’ve only just recovered from being the Thanksgiving holiday superwoman, and just don’t think I can gear up for the next event … the challenge I am setting myself is to let my mother-in-law take over my kitchen without going crazy or getting competitive. She IS more of a HSW than I am, she WILL do a better Christmas dinner, and she DOES genuinely want to help! So I need to get over the self-imposed anxiety, clear out of her way, and relax on the sofa with a glass of wine. Am also safe in the knowledge that I make a mean pumpkin pie, and my British mother-in-law will have no idea it’s not a traditional American Christmas dish … heh heh.

21 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 6, 2009

I am the antithesis of the holiday superwoman. I don’t even put up decorations…

22 Dani December 6, 2009

You start to cry when you realize your boyfriend ate the Christmas Eve chocolate from your advent calendar TWO WEEKS EARLY… HA! Great list, thanks for the laughs! :)

23 Eric December 6, 2009

I’m no Holiday Superwoman, but I could do a Christmas card with Sketchie =)

24 OSGMOM December 6, 2009

I’m guilty on Christmas morning of wearing the Santa’s Helper Hat or the Rudolph the Reindeer Antlers & I obsess over what to buy everyone for their Christmas stockings. Thats a huge thing with us.

25 OSGMOM December 6, 2009

Oh and I forgot to mention that Hubby was the one who introduced me to the tradition of Barney the Badger. Barney comes on Boxing Day and he gives everyone a practical gift!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

I need one of those around here…

27 Patrice December 6, 2009

Okay, I am pretty sure you would be guilty of the following:
-Writing oodles of Holiday cards
-Obsessing over the perfect gift (Who doesn’t?)
-Upping the electricity bill (Christmas lights PLUS Holiday Glo Bar orders…)
-Designing your Ugly Holiday Sweater abnormally early
-Baking for days on end (But that’s a given)
-Crying (or becoming unreasonably upset) when someone eats the Christmas Eve Advent calendar chocolate!

I thought maybe you MIGHT consider sending out holiday cards with Sketchie dressed up like a reindeer, but then I realized he would probably never put up with it!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2009

you got 3 right!

29 Bronwyn December 6, 2009

Hahaha.

That’s awesome. Or horrible I guess. I’m definitely not a HSW. I keep thinking about what to get for my friends though, as the perfect gift. But I like to think of it as really giving procrastination. ;)

30 Ameena December 6, 2009

I am almost a HSW…but its more of a year round problem that I have!

31 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 6, 2009

I strive to be that superwoman! Hehehe.

32 Mrs. Muffins December 6, 2009

Hmm… I think I might be leaning a little in that direction and I have to admit, it’s stressful. I’ve never been this way, not until I had my daughter, but now I am a teensie bit obsessed with making sure every holiday is perfect. I just got back from a two hour long train ride with my seven month old and Santa Claus!!!
xx

33 Pam December 6, 2009

Ha…luv the photos!

Enjoy!

34 Carbzilla December 6, 2009

LOL! I have to admit my cards are addressed and ready to go out tomorrow, but there are fewer than 50 so I consider that only a minor accomplishment.

We don’t even get a tree. :)

35 Marissa December 6, 2009

hahahaha great list!

36 Tracie @hollafoodzone December 6, 2009

I think I am Holiday Superwoman’s evil nemesis!

37 Tania @ Moment Anew December 6, 2009

I am definitely NOT a holiday superwoman!!! OMG I have to light a fire under my a$$ in order to get things done by Xmas!!! :)

38 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 6, 2009

haha oh my I can totally relate! I get caught up in planning the perfect Christmas lunch, Christmas table, drinks, placecards etc etc …. But then I try and take a step back and focus on relaxing and catching up with friends and family (and enjoying having a few days off!!!)

39 OSGMOM December 6, 2009

Oh yes ~ I feel the pressure….Christmas cards, wrapping, baking, parties, food, company, Santa….ahhh :) All while looking perfect and put together ;)

40 Kris December 6, 2009

Ooops….That is my comment, I am at mom’s! :)

41 Jasmine (Sweet and Fit) December 6, 2009

LOVE this post! I definitely find myself trying to be a holiday superwoman sometimes…must. stop. baking!

42 Kristen December 6, 2009

Hi Angela,
I wanted to share with you that I did my first running race today :) (only a 5K, but you have to start somewhere right?) It was 35 degrees out and was on a very hilly route! Every time I felt like stopping to walk, I repeated the quote I read on your site: “You are stronger than you think you are”. This pushed me along and I finished at 27:25! It felt absolutely amazing and I felt like you were there encouraging me!

Thank you so much for your inspiring blog :)

43 Katherine December 6, 2009

Ah! I just saw your report on CTV here in Vancouver. It was on a segment about online holiday shopping. I said to my hubby “hey! i follow her blog…you know, the one with the green monsters.”

he said, “OH…that one.” ha ha….in reference to his dislike for the GM…even though he hasn’t tried one yet.

anyway, you looked great, it was a great PR opportunity. yay!

44 Jolene December 6, 2009

That list is so funny!! I definitely try to be a holiday superwoman – but I am not so crazy as to do all the things you listed :-) Only some of them!

45 Whole Body Love December 7, 2009

I try so hard to do it all every year. I want to send photo cards, send delicious gifts to my friends from college and family back home, have the perfect Christmas photo taken, research the best educational toys for my daughter’s Christmas gifts, bake beautiful delectable for the neighbors and decorate the house to the nines! But, I have realized this year that I don’t have the time and the money for all of this. Some things I did at a less extreme pace. I have finals coming up and I had to give myself a break.

46 RunToTheFinish December 7, 2009

I am not a holiday superwoman, I realized that made the holidays not fun and who needs that!

47 Sarah December 7, 2009

I’m definitely NOT, thank goodness :) I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible, while still taking time out to have fun.

48 Tamara December 7, 2009

LOL! :) I’m seriously going to have my hubby call me Mrs. Claus from now til Christmas. Thanks for the tips! LOL!!!