Channeling My Inner Badass

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 2, 2009

Today was ‘one of those days’…you know how it goes…what can go wrong, does!

Anyone else?

I finished work around 9 and I technically should have been sweating it out on the treadmill, but instead I was enjoying one of the finer things in life…

It is a simple equation:

The new couch + alcohol + Gossip Girl = Pure Bliss

IMG_7405

I call this mixture a Twisted Screw…a Screwdriver with a twist, of course!

Ingredients:

• OJ
  • POM juice
  • Vodka
  • Frozen strawberries
  • Frozen pineapple

IMG_7409

Oh dear me. This was just a delight.  I felt like a million bucks.

Sometimes, it is perfectly ok to just take the ‘unhealthy’ route and chill out! I forgot how fun a carefree night could be.

Don’t worry, the treadmill will be there tomorrow…it always is…

Do you ever just bail on your healthy intentions for some much needed R & R?

It took me a long time to realize that a healthy lifestyle COULD and SHOULD include times when you divert off your planned route. Sometimes, all I need is to just forget about what I should be doing, and just do what I want to do.

~~~~

BAKE SALE!

Would you like to enjoy delicious vegan and healthy baked goods all while supporting Team In Training???

Check out Ashley’s Bake Sale going on TOMORROW! There are tons of delicious baked goods up for grabs.

I am baking a Healthy Holiday Lovers Variety Pack to the highest US or CAD bidder! Head on over and check it out Wednesday (2:30pm-12:00am EST)!

~~~~

Sketchie is meowing on the stairs for me to play with him. I have to pretend like I don’t see him hiding under the plastic tarp and then he runs along the stairs to scare me. LOL.

IMG_7419

IMG_7416

IMG_7421

IMG_7420

What would we do without our beloved animals?

Angela_Signature

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 2, 2009 at 12:05 am

One of our cats plays with us like that under the bedskirt – mewing at us so he can come pounce at our feet :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2009 at 12:19 am

hahaha

liane December 2, 2009 at 12:09 am

Your sketchie posts never fail to make me laugh!

Jackie @ TriToLose December 2, 2009 at 12:19 am

That drink looks yummy. I’ll have to try it. :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 2, 2009 at 12:23 am

Cats are the BEST! Your Sketchie is so adorable.

Karla December 2, 2009 at 12:31 am

I think R&R is definitely needed every once in a while. I think balance is important :)

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 2, 2009 at 12:35 am

Sketchie is probably the cutest cat ever!

Liz December 2, 2009 at 12:35 am

I want to steal Sketchie! He does the cutest things!

maria December 2, 2009 at 12:40 am

You are definitely right. Living healthy doesn’t mean sticking to a set plan or schedule (I have to remind myself of this all the time). It means listening to your body, moving it, and fueling it properly! :D

Tania @ Moment Anew December 2, 2009 at 12:44 am

Sometimes rest, chocolate and martinis are what the body is calling for! Better to just go with it ;)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 2, 2009 at 12:51 am

Sounds like BLISS!!! Glad you listened to your body/heart/ear (when Nat whispered in it).

Marina December 2, 2009 at 1:18 am

I definitely need to unwind like that sometimes, with a cocktail, or wine, watching some low-brain-activity tv show.
Great job on listening your body!

Jolene December 2, 2009 at 1:35 am

I am glad you got to enjoy a drink and just relax!!

Cryst December 2, 2009 at 1:37 am

Ange! have I told you that we got our Tinker Bell after I have read about Sketchie a few times on your blog???

Definitely will be making that drink! I just love reading your entries everyday and when I don’t see one I start wondering how you are….

Annie December 2, 2009 at 2:07 am

Haha! My cat and I play a game where we race up the stairs, and he ALWAYS wins!!
I also took a night off from the gym – just too tired and stressed out tonight to care, and it was definitely the right choice. Rock on, Angela!

Kristina December 2, 2009 at 2:22 am

GOOD FOR YOU for relaxing !! not a BIG deal, treadmill WILL be there tomorrow, but a HUGE big deal for your inner – health – peace – happiness!

Sketchie under the dropcloth is SO cute.

Bridget December 2, 2009 at 2:44 am

Sketchie is such a cutie :) My cat does some pretty funny things. One of them is that whenever she sees this basket that we keep newspapers in, she just HAS to jump in and won’t leave unless we force her out haha!!

I just love animals

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 2, 2009 at 3:13 am

It took a long time for me to get the idea that I didn’t have to sweat to death with a workout everyday. Now some days I just like to stetch and enjoy some time with Hunni.

I don’t know what I’d do without my animals. They make me laugh even on the worst days.

The Voracious Vegan December 2, 2009 at 4:03 am

Your sweet cat is just too handsome! Really, he is the supermodel of cats.

As for bailing on healthy intentions, yes, of course I do. I listen to my body and I do what it tells me! If that means taking a day off of the gym to lounge and relax, I do it. There must be a reason I’m feeling like that. Maybe my body just needs the rest. But once I really REALLY listen to myself, more often than not, what I really want is to be healthy and make the right choices. *most of the time…. ;-)

Gillian December 2, 2009 at 6:02 am

I am a big believer in balance and am a huge fan of eating healthfully for the most part, and then having a martini night with mixed snacks for dinner. I don’t deal well with restriction and a little fun once and a while goes a long way for me!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 2, 2009 at 7:33 am

Ahahahh I love that Sketchie is playing hide and seek!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? December 2, 2009 at 7:51 am

Sketchie cracks me up!!

Shannon December 2, 2009 at 8:10 am

I just love Sketchie! My cats do the same thing! I also have to pretend I don’t see them until I am ready to play. Otherwise, they get too excited!

Jewel December 2, 2009 at 8:21 am

Yes I can relate to one of those days! I blogged about mine just the day before yours as a matter of fact. Between having to stay up with DD until 2:30 a.m. to finish a project; DSS missing the bus (and he is bussed to a far school); not being able to find my wallet; forgetting my phone; and having the gate closed in front of us as we were trying to get in that door…it was quite a morning!

Your couch is beautiful…keep enjoying it. You need to relax and enjoy yourself too….you push yourself very hard.

We are wine drinkers. At least three to four nights a week, usually Thursdays through the weekend, we will have one or two glasses of red wine in the evenings. Although your Pom Screwdriver looks yummy!

kilax December 2, 2009 at 8:23 am

Yay! Pictures of Sketchie :) We were joking about leaving the plastic out for Data since he loved it so much!

I think I take a night off once a week. I start to feel worn out and it builds up and I just need a break! I do feel somewhat guilty at the time, but make up for the exercise later and feel better. I guess that is something I should still work on a bit.

Jessie (Vegan-minded) December 2, 2009 at 8:30 am

That drink looks so delicious and refreshing! We all need a break from the regular routine once in a while. :) Sketchie is the cutest!

rungirlrunn December 2, 2009 at 8:46 am

Mmmm your drink sounds fantastic!!

Melinda December 2, 2009 at 8:47 am

Love your cat pics. Pets are the greatest, especially when they do cute things. And your drink looks very tasty. I bet you enjoyed it after the day you had!

Heather December 2, 2009 at 8:48 am

Angela,

It is so refreshing that you can see the [guilt-free!] importance of R&R!!!

It WAS one of those days…

1.) I spilt chamomile mint tea ALL over my comforter and onto my cell phone while studying.
2.) My cell phone stopped working and I had to get a brand new one. By by money… ]:

Stay lovely!

-Heather

Katherine December 2, 2009 at 8:51 am

The drink sounds fabulous. I’ve definitely skipped a workout to just kick up my feet with a good drink and relax. Totally worth it!

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 2, 2009 at 8:56 am

That drink looks fabulous, chica! I think sometimes it *is* taking the healthy route and chill out. Don’t want to over do it, now! And yes, I completely agree that GG+alcohol+kickass couch = BLISS! haha

Sketchie is SO hilarious. I love that he thinks he’s being all sly and tricky. bahaha. I want your cat – such a personality. Mine played with a packing peanut last night, and I about died – she’s playing! Not just sitting there like a priss! haha. Gotta love her though :)
Have a great day, hun!

Kate December 2, 2009 at 9:02 am

That’s kind of how I was a few days ago. I went straight to the gym right after work since it’s half a mile away and I was there for maybe 13 minutes (half that time chit chatting with one of the cute personal trainer men) and decided that the gym wasn’t appealing that evening, so went home to wrap Christmas presents and have two glasses of red wine.

I wish I could get up early again and workout before work! But lately, getting (enough) sleep seems really important to me. Must be the old(er) age! ;)

Christina December 2, 2009 at 9:22 am

Hahaha Sketchie! I love the photo of him hiding with his little behind sticking out, too cute!

Brittney December 2, 2009 at 9:34 am

Your cat are is so cute! I love how crazy and random cats can be. My one cat is always getting into things :)

Lizzie December 2, 2009 at 9:38 am

Due to injury, I have been forced to scale down my running activity for two weeks (bleugh!), but at the same time I have been a lot more appreciative of my body and what it can do . . and sometimes it just needs a break :) Already feeling the benefit of it. Plus I have been focusing more on core work b/c of your Whittle my Middle program, I started a pilates class, and finally got my bike fixed so I can use it again – so rest stops can be good! :) Plus your enthusiasm and love for running and whatever else returns better than ever. Thanks for the reminder!

Laura December 2, 2009 at 9:56 am

thanks for the great post (as always!)I know I often beat myself up when I take a day off and your post reminded me how healthy and good balance can be :o)

Sketchie is too funny! my mom’s cat eats plastic so that game wouldn’t work for her. she has to be careful when she brings home a shopping bag or something that is plastic and quick get rid of it or else her cat will get sick trying to eat it!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love December 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

Pets are the best. They are such a great comic relief :)

Kasey (Fit For Wellness) December 2, 2009 at 10:04 am

Sketchie is awesome! I love his blog :)
I wish my fiance wasn’t allergic to cats.

MelissaNibbles December 2, 2009 at 10:14 am

Good for you gettin’ your drink on! You deserve it!

healthy ashley December 2, 2009 at 10:15 am

LOL, I love that your “inner bad ass” is The new couch + alcohol + Gossip Girl! You’re so bad! ;)

Kristie Lynn December 2, 2009 at 10:15 am

I wonder what I would do without my cat all the time. She just does the weirdest (and therefore funniest) things! She would have a field day if we had plastic tarp around, that’s for sure….

Chelsa December 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

Don’t feel so bad about your lazy evening. I took the entire day of Monday to lay around watching christmas movies and also watched gossip girl that night. I felt like such a bum but had no motivation to do anything. I think the holiday season takes so much energy out of us!

Jenn December 2, 2009 at 10:37 am

Mmmm, I TOTALLY agree with you. What fun is life if you don’t indulge once in a while?! When I do indulge, I tell myself…this is why I work so hard the other 6 days a week.

Sketchie!!! He made me LOL here at work this morning.

Jil December 2, 2009 at 10:38 am

Those pictures of Sketchie are priceless. Often bailing on my healthy eats is the best R&R ever. Sometimes you really just do need that super comforting food that might not be the best for you…Like for a fact, I know at the end of the semester, I am treating myself to a big ole pastry from this amazing bakery/cafe near me. haha :) Oh! and that drink looks aweeesome!

Allie (Protein Girl) December 2, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m not usually the type to get all mushy over kitties, but that cat has a gorgeous coat! I don’t mean that in a Cruella De Ville way either.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 2, 2009 at 10:42 am

haha – after a hard day of work, given the choice booze always sounds better than a treadmill!! :O)

Dawn December 2, 2009 at 10:55 am

You have a GORGEOUS CAT!! I have never seen one like that. WOW.

skinnyrunner December 2, 2009 at 10:56 am

your twisted screwdriver looks like a FABULOUS way to end a day!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner December 2, 2009 at 10:58 am

I agree, sometimes a day off is the most important thing to do. And that drink looks SO good!!

Claire December 2, 2009 at 11:04 am

Sometimes hitting the couch with a great beverage IS what you really should be doing:-)cc

sham December 2, 2009 at 11:35 am

I definitely need to take R&R days/breaks!! It’s not only good for the body but for the soul. Life really does need to be a balance…

I love that you are buying off Craig’s list, it’s such an environmentally sound way of doing things. My partner and I are currently in a temporary rental and most of our stuff is in storage and we have realized we don’t miss it one bit ( I actually can’t even remember what’s in storage :))

Have a great one!

Anne Marie @ New Weigh of Life December 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm

R&R is good for the soul. I say sometimes you need a break!

Meg's Gut December 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Gossip Girl definitely beats the treadmill at 9pm!
Love that show!

Allison December 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I am just loving that couch, it fits and looks so perfect in there!
Good for you for just taking a break! you always are working so hard on baking, house renos, and fitness. You deserve it!
I am just getting ready to hit the gym and do my workout, on my blog i have a RUN page, sort of similar to you, its handy and i can keep track of everything.
I love blogging! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 2, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Man I love that cat, hilarious!

Laura Georgina December 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I think couch initiation should always come before treadmill workouts!

Love the Sketchie hide and seek! Is Sketchie scared of the couch? My dog is terrified of u-shaped or unit furniture, it makes him go into a corner and attack his bed…. Because that’s what you do when you are scared of something, right?! Pets can be SO weird.

Jenna December 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. If you push yourself too hard and don’t get to chill and enjoy the finer things in life (aka, a wonderful drink) we would all go crazy.

Good for you for listening to your body and mind. That is very healthy!

Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion December 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Sometimes I really need to just spend the night chilling out. I usually feel a million times better after, and since I NEVER do it, when I do I really appreciate the down time more than I think I would if I had a lot of it.

Um, you cat is so cute! We play a game a lot in our house called “Where’s Oscar” it’s like hide-and-go-seek. Oscar is the smartest dog, I swear!

kathleen December 2, 2009 at 2:34 pm

You’re drink looks yummy and tour cat is gorgeous!

Amanda December 2, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now and wanted to say hi! Your cat is too cute (and has some really beautiful markings!) I have a playful kitty too, and I don’t know what I’d do without him. Oh, and I love your new couch, it looks like it was made for that room!

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness December 2, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Sketchie makes me laugh!!! I swear, my kitty plays a game in her head that every time I go up the stairs, she has to beat me. No matter where she is on the first floor, if she sees me going up the stairs, she makes a run for it, and almost trips me in the process! Sketchie is adorable!

And last night sounds wonderful- sometimes you just need those nights!

Ashley December 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm

That drink looks great! I’ll have to try it out this weekend.

Susan December 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Actually, I’m bailing on my healthy lifestyle tonight!! Sometimes I love sweating out a bad day, but today I just felt like I needed to chill. I’m sure my body is actually happier for it too. It needs the rest :) I have a date with the treadmill bright and early tomorrow though… that thing sure can’t take a hint :P

Leah December 2, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Aww!! Sketchie is too cute! I love all the pictures you post of him. Animals make life so much more fun dont they? I dont know what I’d do without my dog – the whole house revolves around her, and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Kath December 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Gossip Girl is the PERFECT reason to skip a run and sip vodka!

Whole Body Love December 3, 2009 at 12:34 am

I am allergic to cats but Sketchie steals my heart everytime you post his pics :)

Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 5, 2009 at 12:13 am

That drink sounds delish! I think diverting a every once in a while is necessary. For example, tonight I had way too many brownies(not really a lot but I didn’t need to eat all I did! I also had some sweets at school since it was my last day. I needed it, and tomorrow I will get back to eating a whole lot better! It’s good for the soul to treat yourself every once in a while!