Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

Good morning and happy Saturday!

It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL in Southern Ontario today. Sunny, warm, and I heard we are supposed to have warm temps all week! It feels like September!

IMG 6173 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

1) Do we like to vent or what!? Can I just say I had an absolute blast reading about everyone’s annoying habits!? I kept bursting out laughing while reading them. Who knew so many of us had a sticker on the sink habit! Eric said, ‘I think it’s a GIRL thing’ when I told him. hahahaha! It was too funny. Oh, the beauty of human idiosyncrasies, eh?

2) I thought of another one of Eric’s habits. Whenever he puts the detergent in the dishwasher it never fails that he leaves a trail of detergent across the floor. I always know he has been there when I see it. He knows it bothers me, so what does a loving husband do? He takes his foot and sweeps it near the baseboard so I don’t see it!!!!! Now that is love. He said another of mine is that I don’t change the toilet paper or paper towel rolls when they run out (SO not true!!!!). ;)

3) I must apologize for my absence yesterday! It was ‘one of those days’. Everything that could have gone wrong did, but luckily I kept a positive mindset about it all. I always repeat this mantra in my head, ‘Life is too short. I could die tomorrow and none of this would matter.’ Sounds morbid, but it’s true!

As you may know, I have been having a lot of problems with my organic wholesaler. Many messed up orders, etc. Yesterday I went to pick up my order (I was out of BRS and couldn’t wait until my delivery day next Thursday) and I hurt my back lifting the 55 pound pails off the loading dock!!!! As soon as I lifted the pail down onto the ground my back screamed in pain and I knew I did something bad. I am sore today, but luckily I think icing it, yoga, massage (thanks E-Dawg!) and taking ibuprofen really helped or it would have been much worse.

Whenever I am having one of those days, I remind myself of good things that happened…

4) A few things that did go right for me yesterday:

• I had a fabulous workout on the elliptical
  • Glo Bakery was Featured in the November Veg News Newsletter
  • I met up with Krissy for tea
  • I developed a new Holiday Glo bar, holiday variety pack, and gift certificates (coming soon!)
  • I realized I need a portable timer (see below)

You win some, you lose some! :)

~~~~

Vegan Party Snacks!

We are going to a get together at my brother and sister in law’s tonight so naturally I have been baking up a storm!

Last night, I decided to make Mamapea’s Pumpkin Spice Roasted chickpeas that have attained nothing short of celebrity status around the blogs lately.

I was so excited to make my first ever batch of roasted chickpeas!!

The wonderful ingredient line-up:

IMG 6141 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas

1 can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry

2 T. maple syrup

1 t. canola oil (or oil of your choice)

1 t. apple cider vinegar

1/8 t. salt

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. ginger

3/4 t. cinnamon

1/2 cup Pepitas (my addition)

Preheat oven to 350 400.  Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until evenly coated. Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 35 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

IMG 6142 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

Of course, I sampled what they tasted like before cooking and they were delicious! WOW. I could totally see myself just eating them like this, sprinkled over a salad. Pure heaven.

IMG 6143 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

And because my day was going so swimmingly, I did this:

IMG 6152 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

Note to self…get a portable timer and use it! ;)

IMG 6149 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

I was on Twitter and all of a sudden it hit me that I forgot about them in the oven for over 1 hour longer than they should have!!!! The house still smells like burned chickpeas!

Batch number 2 this morning was much more successful!

IMG 6163 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

I can’t even describe how good these taste!!!!!

IMG 6167 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1 You guys have to make these! Talk about the perfect party snack!!! I have a feeling these will go very fast!

IMG 6170 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

My modifications:

• I used raw chickpeas and cooked them (takes longer, but saves money)
  • I cooked them about 10 minutes longer than suggested to crisp them up more
  • I added 1/2 cup of Pepitas for more crunch
  • I cut down the salt in half
  • I doubled the batch (but should have tripled it or more!)
  • Cooked them at 400 instead of 350

They are a MUST MAKE AGAIN! Thank you Mama!!! :D You are amazing!!!!!

~~~~

Then I made a total GOURMET vegan dip:

IMG 6145 thumb   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

actually it was one of the easiest dips I have ever made!

Directions: All you do is take a bottle of salsa and half a cup of hummus and mix them together.

It taste so creamy and delicious. People will think that you spent hours preparing it! I am bringing along some Mary’s Crackers for dipping and some tortilla chips. If you want to get really fancy dancy you can sprinkle chopped green onion over the top. Just fabulous!

Have you ever had roasted chickpeas before? What did you think?

~~~~

I have a bunch of stuff to do before my brother’s tonight: Workout, writing, packing, more party snacks (to come tomorrow!), baking orders, and a special assignment that I will be revealing mid-month. Better get to it!

For those of you who have been asking about Holiday Glo Bar packs:

• I will be revealing them this week and pre-orders will commence!!!!! I am so excited about this and can’t wait to show you what I have been planning.

Have a fabulous Saturday!!!

Angela Signature thumb8   Deliciously Healthy Vegan Party Snacks! Part 1

If you want to succeed, double your failure rate.

Thomas Watson

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 7, 2009

I keep thinking about your sticker story. Love it. Those chickpeas look soooo delish! Sorry bout the crispy burnt guys; we win some and lose some.
Have a great day. Oh and CONGRATS on your feature in Veg News. You are kicking some serious ass.
Lindsay

nicolene November 9, 2009

LOVE roasted chickpeas. I usually make mine a little spicy. What a great snack

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) November 7, 2009

haha, sorry about the burnt chickpeas – ick!

That dip sounds delicious!

Leah @ Simply fabulous November 7, 2009

I love roasting chickpeas!!! They are so good and can be used for anything! Steve loves eating them straight off the baking sheet.

Awesome veg news feature!

Brynne November 7, 2009

I’m so jealous of your warm weather! It’s been freezing in Connecticut and there was frost all over on my run this morning (although I do live in a high elevation area). I love the idea to make salsa and hummus into a dip! I put both on my salads daily, but always separate. That would be amazing on tortilla chips or Kashi crackers!

Beth S. November 7, 2009

Those chickpeas look good, I’ve been looking for some healthy thanksgiving appetizers. For some reason (probably a craving) I’m hoping one of you holiday glo bars has crushed peppermint stick in it…

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2009

lol ive actually been on the look out for vegan and organic sticks…nothing yet!

Juli November 7, 2009

Wow! Sounds like my day Monday– I definitely have forgotten about things in the oven and can’t hear the oven timer in other parts of my apartment. So glad they turned out well– I am excited to try them!

Katie November 7, 2009

LOL I had that day on Wed! It was a disaster and I just walked away from work said I couldn’t do it today.

I’m excited to see the new Glo Bars! I am thinking peppermint?

I love the quote ain’t that the truth?

MelissaNibbles November 7, 2009

I’ve never roasted chickpeas, but I’m definitely going to now. Thanks for the idea!

Sorry about the problems with the wholesaler. I hope things work out soon.

Carla November 7, 2009

Hello Angela!

First, I want to tell you how much I love your webstite; it’s very informative and your are very inspriing ~ thank you for all that great stuff!

Roasted chickpeas are a favourite in our house ~ most importantly, my children absolutely loves it. I usually season them with cumin or za’atar.

Carla

Diana November 7, 2009

Those chickpeas do look good! And everybody keeps saying that they are amazing! Must try them soon. :)

Sorry to hear your day wasn’t that great but keeping a positive attitude does help A LOT!

Have fun today!

Mama Pea November 7, 2009

As I told you yesterday, I made of batch of these in the middle of the day tomorrow…just because :)

I’m so glad you liked them, after you made charcoal. I literally gasped out loud and said, “OH NO!!!” I’ll be anxious to hear what your guests think!

*Andrea* November 7, 2009

cngrats on being featured in vegnews!!! bigger things will happen, i know it, this is just the start :) i can’t wait to order from the bakery – i just booked a spring break trip though with my own money (my parents refused to help since they paid for many service trips) so i need to earn more money first :( it’s definitely easier to vent here than t o the person with the annoying behavior. i hate being rude because i know i must have something that bothers my roommates too. thanks for creating an open environment here to share thoughts! havea good weekened

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 7, 2009

I mix hummus and salsa all the time. I actually put it on my wraps with some avocado and eggs (i’m not vegan). So yummy!

Julie @savvyeats November 7, 2009

Those chickpeas are already on my meal plan for next week, after reading about them around to blog world. Now I can’t wait to try them!

When you say you used dried chickpeas and cooked them, do you mean you soaked and cooked them and THEN cooked them according to the recipe? I just want to make sure, because I’ve recently made the switch to dried beans and don’t have a lot of experience with them yet!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2009

I cooked the chickpeas, drained, rinsed and then made the recipe :) Hope that makes sense

Janna (Just Flourishing) November 7, 2009

I have burnt my fair share of things in the oven!

And i HAVE had roasted chickpeas. They are SO good. I’m going to have to try Mama Pea’s recipe though. They look amazing. I love chickpeas.

And that dip sounds great too.. so simple!

thanks for the ideas!

Mellissa November 7, 2009

I love chickpeas, especially roasted ones when they get nice and crunchy. I have only had them savory so I will definitely be trying them sweet!

Bronwyn November 7, 2009

I love chickpeas! I seriously lived off them for a year or two, and still eat them regularly. Want an easy chickpea soup? Check this out:

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 7, 2009

MMM… I love roasted chickpeas. I usually make them with curry powder. They are so good and healthy!!! YUM!

Hope you have a better day today!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 7, 2009

I have never heard of roasted chickpeas! What a great idea :-) I am definitely going to make those.

I am excited to hear about the holiday bars … I am totally going to order some!

rebecca lustig November 7, 2009

Hey girl!
OMG. Pumpkin roasted chickpeas? Genius– I love it! Speaking of love, I think it’s commendable and inspiring of you to think about the small, good things that make up your day. Because we tend to overemphasize the bad and forget the good, it helps put the ‘bad’ into a rational perspective.

I hope you enjoy your Saturday!
With love,
Rebecca

Nicole November 7, 2009

I made the chickpeas last week for the first time and LOVED them. I want to try out different spices. They are so versatile. Your dip looks so yummy!!

Jil November 7, 2009

ahh those chickpeas looks sooo good. sorry about the first batch, though! i’ve had that happen to me…even if i’ve heard the time, i’ll say to myself, “oh i’ll give ‘em one more minute,” — that minute has turned into hours before. woooooops. :) hope today goes better for you and hope the back continues to feel better!!!

Susan November 7, 2009

Congrats on being featured in the VegNews newsletter – that’s awesome!!! We’re getting warm temps in NB this week too, can’t wait :)

I’ve got those roasted chickpeas already bookmarked, just waiting to get some chickpeas in my house! I also have a peanut butter roasted chickpea recipe bookmarked that should be made too…

Also, funny you mention that hummus/salsa dip, because just yesterday I was wondering what that would taste like. Now I know it’s worth trying!

Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) November 7, 2009

I love roasted chickpeas! Thanks for reminding me how good they are =)

Hope your back feels ok!!

xo
K

Allison November 7, 2009

those chickpeas look awesome, i might have to make those, i’m sure Ryan would be willing to try.

My boyfriend never changes the toilet paper roll when its out, NEVER, that annoys me! Thats a boy thing, not a girl thing haha tell Eric that. lol

Hope your back feels better soon, that sucks.

We’re getting warm weather here in Saskatchewan too, yesterday was 16C! That is crazy, mind you it was extremely windy out. But for November, I am not going to complain, considering on Halloween it snowed all morning, and now theres none in sight.

Take Care!

-Allison

mmclaughlin November 7, 2009

my husband always complains that I don’t switch out the toilet paper roll – but I don’t think I forget that often. ;) I am going to try the hummus, salsa thing – RIGHT NOW! It looks so good, and it’s lunch time here, so that would go well with pita chips and an apple I think. Thanks for the idea!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) November 7, 2009

Those are great snacks – I am totally going to make the chickpeas to have with me at work when I get the munchies. I love vegan snacks too since I’m not eating dairy right now and I know that they’re safe!

Lauren @ eater not a runner November 7, 2009

Those chickpeas look amazing! I definitely need to try those soon. Thanks for the great ideas (as usual) :-)

Amanda November 7, 2009

I have to try those chick peas. I’m sorry about your back!

Carolyn November 7, 2009

You are so right – those chick peas are popping up all over blog land. It’s high time I make a batch for myself.
Congratuations on the shot out in Veg News. That is awesome!
Hummus and salsa is one of my favorite combos. Dangerous!
Keep doing what you do Angela. You are an amazing woman!

Paige (Running Around Normal) November 7, 2009

Sorry about the rough spots in your day :( That’s so awesome Glow Bakery made Veg News! How cool :)

Those chick peas look fabulous. I’m gonna have to make some!

Erin @ Living and Loving In L.A. November 7, 2009

I LOVE Mama Pea. And Chick Peas. I’ve never had roasted chick peas, but I have a can in the pantry!!! Guess what I’ll be making later for a snack?!?!?!
As always, thanks so much for the inspiration!!!
Hope you’re having a great weekend and that your back feels better!!!

Leah November 7, 2009

Those chickpeas sound fantastic!!
And I cracked up over the dish detergent thing. Thats hilarious!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 7, 2009

I’m going to make the chickpeas tomorrow..I can’t wait!!

MegaNerd November 7, 2009

mmmm the Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas sound DELICIOUS!

Are you going to enter them in this week’s Blogger Secret Ingredient contest? the ingredient is maple syrup!!

Judy November 7, 2009

I love the cheesy roasted chickpeas from “The Vegan Lunchbox” (and I’m not vegan!). Basically chickpeas, oil, & nutritional yeast. Delicious.

I’m going to have to try these, tho, they sound wonderful!

Jennie {in Wonderland} November 7, 2009

I love chickpeas and I love Mama Pea, so this is obviously going to be a match made in heaven.

I used to eat hummus and salsa mixed together constantly, with Mary’s Crack! Until I ran out of the crackers… sigh. I miss that combination!!

Please keep posting recipes … I absolutely love your vegan twists on things. It keeps me motivated to make healthier choices, and the recipes always turn out deliciously well!!

Marcia November 7, 2009

I have roasted chickpeas before (different recipe), must try these. I LOVE chickpeas. If I had to pick one bean to eat forever and ever, it would be chickpeas.

But you crack me up with burning them. I made granola on Weds night, my spouse said: what’s in the oven? CRAPOLA. Yep, burned. Hubby said “it’s fine”, but today he admitted that it’s quite burned with an aftertaste of…ash. I know *I’m* not eating it.

VegFigureSk8er November 7, 2009

I could go for some of that dip right about now! :)
Hope your back feels better!

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness November 8, 2009

Sorry to hear about your day, but I love your attitude. Sometimes, it is so easy to get caught up in those negative feelings. The best thing you can do is step back and figure out if this will all matter in a day, a week or a year. Most likely it won’t, and it’s not worth it to spend time upset about it.
Can’t wait to hear about your special assignment!

Page 1 of 212»