Scuffins and Sculls

Good evening (in my creepiest Dracula voice)

Welcome to my blog (creepy voice still)

I hope you will enjoy it….*cue Halloween music*

Mervin’s back baby!

IMG 5593 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

I have been trying to get him to eat a healthier diet but all he does is chain smoke and eat bugs all day!

I had a tiring 12 hour baking day. I am sore all over!

Around 6pm, I realized I hadn’t had 1 veggie all day. Ok, I had 2 slices of tomato with my lunch, but that doesn’t really count. I was also starving so I made a huge green monster filled with about 3 cups of steamed spinach. It was amazing and a quick way to up my veggie count!

I also had some frozen veggies with dinner. These were absolutely horrible tasting though! I typically don’t like frozen veggies. I find they always taste mushy. However, it probably doesn’t help that I steam them. Next time I might try roasting them in the oven to crisp them up.

IMG 5599 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

Quinoa was the star of the show again. I love Quinoa because, unlike brown rice, it cooks up in just 10 minutes. Awesome for starving bakers.

IMG 5591 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

I mixed it with some organic pasta sauce, black pepper, and seasonings. It was simple and delicious! I went back for seconds.

IMG 5597 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

I only had about half the veggies though. Just mush I tell you! I wrapped up the rest because I am going to try and roast them tomorrow. I hate throwing food out so I always find a way to use it up (as long as it is fresh of course).

IMG 5590 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

Meet the other love of my life:

IMG 5582 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

Here in Canada we have a little (ok big!) brand called President’s Choice. I’m not sure if you have it in the US or not? I love PC. They make some delicious and healthy products. This one is Sun-dried Tomato and Herb no-salt added seasoning. It adds so much flavour and no sodium. I sprinkle it onto anything I can get my hands on- soups, sauces, stir-frys, veggies, wraps, potatoes, ect. It’s the Little Black Dress of seasonings!

Dessert was a Pumpkin Chia Spelt Scuffin. Obsessed isn’t even the word here.

IMG 5600 thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

Sometimes, I just say ‘scuffin’ out loud because I love the way it sounds. I try to use it in as many sentences as I can when speaking with ‘normal’ people. It makes me giggle.

SCUFFIN!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. That feels good. Say it with me! Scuffin! Scuffin!

~~~~

fun thumb   Scuffins and Sculls

1) Exercise update: What is going on with me and exercise lately? Did we break up?? Find out tomorrow!

2) Don’t forget you only have 1 day left to enter in the Garmin Forerunner Charity raffle!! It is for a great cause and I don’t think many people entered so your chances are looking GOOD. Probably the best chance you will ever have at winning a GARMIN! lol.

3) The Chocolate + Coffee Lovers packs are no longer sold out. I added a few more! Thank you for all your orders today!

4) Coming up on OSG- I will be giving you a video tour of our haunted house. I’m so excited for this video. It is going to be so much fun.

5) OSGMOM is currently visiting L.A. and is posting a frenzy of Operation Beautiful notes. If you live in the LA area keep an eye out. Hopefully a celeb will spot one!

~~~~

It’s time for some me time. Off for an Epsom bath and my marathon book! Yessssssssssss.

Angela Signature thumb53   Scuffins and Sculls

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 27, 2009

I don’t think we have that brand of spices here in Pa, but it sure sounds good!

Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) October 27, 2009

We don’t have PC, I’ve seen it all over when I’ve visited the boy! I need to start learning some of the good Canadian brands if I am going to be living there!

xo
K

Amy October 27, 2009

Maybe i missed it-what marathon book are you reading?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

I think it is called Personal Marathons…im drawing a blank at the moment

Marci October 27, 2009

I am sure you covered this somewhere, but why do you steam your spinach for your GM? Are you worried about e-coli?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

Cooking the greens makes some nutrients, like calcium, more bioavailable (easily absorbed) I also take my green monster with a vitamin C to help with absorption too.

MelissaNibbles October 27, 2009

That looks great! I like making couscous the exact same way. The simplest recipes are often the most tasty!

kristi (sweet cheeks) October 27, 2009

YUM, that quinoa looks so good! What a great idea to mix it with some tomato sauce.

I copy and pasted that scuffin recipe and will be making it SOON! SCUFFINNNN!

Ellen October 27, 2009

looking forward to your exercise post! running and i have definitely broken up… for now. i worked up to running 15 miles a week, and then left for italy and have run exactly once in the last month. i walk every where, do some yoga occasionally, and it’s feeling good. do you go through exercise phases?

Jolene October 27, 2009

Does the steam spinach taste the same in the GM as the raw stuff does? I haven’t tried the steamed stuff yet, but I am worried about calcium absorption, so I would like to – as long as you can’t taste it in the GM!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

I don’t notice a difference in my GM, although you need a ton of ice!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 27, 2009

I have never put ice in my GM (just fresh spinach, almond breeze, banana, and whichever seeds I have around) … I have to try adding ice!

Christina October 27, 2009

I love PC products too! Fun fact of the night, a friend of mine told me she’s seen them in Chicago, how random is that?!

Spotty Prep October 27, 2009

I only like starchy veggies frozen- like peas and corn. Weird, huh?

I def need to try quinoa like that! No Presidents Choice in Florida…

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 27, 2009

Couscous is even quicker–if you’re ever in a reaaal rush! I’ve actually never cooked my own quinoa–terrrible!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

ohhhh good idea…havent had that in ages

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 27, 2009

I just had quinoa for dinner. It is so yummy!

Louise October 27, 2009

Hi, Ivanka Trumps wedding photos were released, so it reminded me of your photos’ high glamor quotient! And I had to pay a visit to your site! One of these days, I’ll order the chocolate coffee Empower bars . . .

Kate October 27, 2009

Quinoa is the bomb! I used to cook it in coconut milk and eat it with one of the vegan ‘chicken’ patties with mixed veggies… so yummy! Sometimes I’d get crazy and sprinkle shredded coconut on it, too. Felt like I was on a tropical island!

Laura @ Finding A Healthy Balance....after a 100+ POUND weight loss! October 27, 2009

I love your “creepy” voice at the beginning of your post! Totally made me smile as a very LONG and not so great day………thank you. =)

Jenna October 27, 2009

Love love love the idea of a ‘scuffin’. Sometimes it is too hard to decide between a scone and a muffin :).

I’ve never had quinoa before. Looks good though. I need to add it to my ‘want to try’ list.

Nikki T October 27, 2009

I totally share your love for the word SCUFFIN!!! I’m so glad you make it up! Hehehe ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

hehe I didnt make it up…I first saw the word on http://sugarbomber.com/city/san-francisco/scuffin/

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) October 27, 2009

That sun-dried tomato seasoning sounds so good! I’ve never seen that brand in the US (well, at least not in Miami).

Jil October 27, 2009

I love spicing up frozen veggies. Roasting them is such a good idea!! And that quinoa looks so good! That seasoning sounds so good, I’m going to have to look and see if Mrs. Dash makes anything similar.

Caroline October 27, 2009

So glad that you added more bars! I just purchased a Coffee Lovers Variety pack and am so excited for it to arrive. I have only tried your original flavor which was in my swag bag at the HLS. Yey! Happy to support such a wonderful blogger :)

Meghan@traveleatlove October 27, 2009

Scuffin is such a cute word. It would be a good name for a puppy!

stacey October 27, 2009

The PC Sun-dried Tomato seasoning sounds yummy. I wonder if I can find something similar in the U.S. Thanks for mentioning the raffle again:) I am so thankful for all of the people who have entered so far!

Paige@ RunningAroundNormal October 27, 2009

You are too cute in this post! From the scary voice to the scuffins to the breaking up with exercise LOL. Love it.
The scuffin does certainly look scrumptious! I’m still trying to finish your balls I made last weekend though (mahaha) so maybe I’ll try these this weekend if there’s time!

bryan October 28, 2009

You look sexy in your hairnet!

And you always make eating well and exercising so much fun. Haven’t said that in a while but I’m saying it again. Cool…

The Voracious Vegan October 28, 2009

What a beautiful, simple dinner. Sometimes simplicity is the most delicious, isn’t it? But yeah, I feel the same about frozen veggies. I wish they tasted good because they are so darn convenient, but I just can’t do it! But quinoa? Oh quinoa I love you. I have to leave the country just to get the stuff but I make sure to stock up at least once a month!

Juicy Jessy October 28, 2009

I never really know what to do with quinoa, maybe I’ll try it with tomato sauce!

Diana October 28, 2009

I think I’ll try using quinoa. The thing that frustrates me with brown rice is exactly the fact that it takes soooooo long to cook!

TerkSean October 28, 2009

Hi Angela, I’m an avid reader of your great blog! But this is my first time commenting. Just want you to know that I totally respect your decision to become vegan. My fiance and I are currently vegetarians, we live i Malaysia. We have toyed with the idea of becoming vegan, but we find it difficult in this country because the food choices are so limited. I cook a lot at home and making a concious decision to buy organic and non dairy products could be expensive. Your blog have inspired me to be more creative in my cooking and I thoroughly enjoy each and every one of your posts. You kitty is too cute. I have two kitties at home and they are a handful, not to mention the other 7 dogs. I hope that one day your glo bars will ship internationally, I can’t wait to try one of those! Happy baking & keep Glowing! :)

Shannon October 28, 2009

Quinoa is one of my favorie things! It is so versatile. I love to mix it with tomato sauce and ricotta cheese!

Jennie {in Wonderland} October 28, 2009

Isn’t President’s Choice Superstore’s own brand? I always thought it was… regardless, I love their products and I miss them!

I hate frozen veggies too. Except peas or corn … they work fine – and actually, I sometimes prefer frozen corn.

Jennie {in Wonderland} October 28, 2009

PS: Mervin cracks me up!

Tina October 28, 2009

Love quinoa! I made it last night for this even in my dorm and everyone loved it!

Carolyn October 28, 2009

Love your Halloween spirit! It’s my favorite holiday!

Jenn October 28, 2009

I am really liking a lot of the President’s Choice things lately. Especially some of the Organic and Blue Label items.

Like a previous poster above mentioned, PC is a Loblaws brand, so you find it at Loblaws, Superstore, Zehrs, Fortinos, etc…in Canada. Though we do have a friend who lives in the Chicago area whom we visited and saw PC items (not as many as in Canada) at a Jewel store there.

deisegirl October 28, 2009

I use a lot of frozen veg (and I would be lost without frozen fruit as the fresh stuff is as expensive as gold in these parts) but I have never liked the carrots+cauliflower+broccoli combo in frozen form. The crinkly carrots especially bring me down….I am not a huge cooked carrot fan in general though and could definitely think of more exciting ways to cook cauliflower.

I need to start using quinoa more. I am forever going out and buying grains, using them once then forgetting about them :(

Lori October 28, 2009

Oh my! I am going to have to try those Scuffins of yours! The pumpkin ones look SO good! Thank you for the recipe! Can’t wait! And Happy Birthday to OSGMom!

sara October 28, 2009

I tried the scuffins – they were fantastic!! Like a healthy timbit (donut bite) actually!

Marianne November 7, 2009

I think PC brand is more popular back in Ontario than it is here. Or maybe it’s just because I don’t like shopping at the stores that carry it, so I never actually see all the cool products they have.