Driving With A Handheld Device- BANNED!

IMG 5529 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

Fall in Ontario is soooo beautiful!

IMG 5530 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

This is definitely my favourite time of the year!

Dinner tonight was rather festive for both Fall and Halloween. Mervin made another appearance…

IMG 5533 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

Eric made a delicious Sweet + Sour Stir-fry for dinner. He knew I was super busy so he took the reins and made his specialty!

IMG 5539 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

It was delicious. Carrots, peppers, onion, zucchini, tomato, no salt added sweet and sour sauce, minced garlic, and pepper.

IMG 5541 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

He served it over top of the Red Lentil Soup. Most of the broth was gone, so it was basically a thick protein-base that paired well with veggies. This soup is so versatile! Almost like a little black dress!!!

IMG 5532 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

Dessert was my new Empower Glo Bar.

IMG 5565 thumb   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

Regarding the poll- there was a tie between Ignite and Invigorate. I did a tie breaker on Twitter and just as I was about to officially name it, I was hit with Empower for a name. It was a gut instinct and I knew I had to go with it!! I am definitely going to keep Ignite and Invigorate on the list though. If there is one thing I have learned in the past year, it is listen to the little voice! So, Empower it is.

Variety Pack Sale Tomorrow

Stay tuned tomorrow for the new release of Empower in a delicious new variety pack. I will be having a sale for the first 20 orders tomorrow!

~~~

Cellphone ban now in effect for Ontario drivers!

Staring today it is now illegal for Ontario drivers to use cellphones, Blackberries, and other handheld devices while driving a car.

"Under the province-wide ban, drivers are forbidden from talking, texting or emailing on their portable phones while behind the wheel of their vehicle. The law, which came into affect today, is aimed at protecting drivers from distractions that take their eyes off the road for a long period of time.

The new law also forbids drivers from operating entertainment products such as portable DVD players and laptops.

However, iPods and GPS units are still permitted as long as they are mounted to a dashboard or "another accessible place in the vehicle," Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation states on its website.

Other exceptions to the rules are:

• Drivers can use cell phones to dial 911 if they have an emergency
  • Phones can be used behind the wheel if the driver safely pulls off the road or is parked
  • Hands-free devices, such as headsets and phones plugged into the vehicle’s sound system, can also be used
  • Emergency workers like paramedics will be able to use hand-held phones for the next three years for work purposes"

[Source]

Personally, I am SO happy this is finally a law!!!! I have witnessed so many drivers almost get into an accident because they were either using a handheld cell phone or they were texting while driving. When I was commuting to Toronto I would see at least 5-10 drivers a day texting while driving. I think texting while driving is much more dangerous than talking on a cellphone.

Drivers caught talking on a handheld device or texting can face a fine up to $500 CAD. They aren’t messing around here!!

I need to check if my old Blackberry has a speaker phone…At first I was thinking: yikes, how am I going to talk in the car? But speaker phones and headsets make it so easy now! Plus, they don’t hurt the neck. ;) I think it will be a small sacrifice in comparison to the lives it will hopefully save.

~~~~

Do you support the ban of handheld devices while driving? Are they banned in YOUR city?

There are similar bans in the following areas: Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, California and New York, according to the Ontario government.

Angela Signature thumb51   Driving With A Handheld Device  BANNED!

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."
–– Ralph Waldo Emerson

caitlin October 26, 2009

i don’t like the idea (because i talk while driving), but i’ll admit it’s a good thing. :)

Kristi October 26, 2009

Thank God!!! I hope that law gets passed here. The other day I saw a lady texting and putting on make up all while driving! Your roads are much safer now! :)

Kate October 26, 2009

This ban is going through this Sunday in New Zealand and I TOTALLY agree with it. Especially as I’m prone to doing it now and again and feel SO guilty for it. It’s so dangerous. Our fine is only $80 NZ (64 CAD), but you get 20 Demerit Points which mean you could ultimately lose your license if you get caught (loss of license at 100 I think). Demerit points go on your records also etc so it’s something to really really think about!

kay (eating machine) October 26, 2009

washington state has a ban too, and i’m pretty sure oregon passed one, it just hasn’t gone into effect. the not talking is kinda a pain, but i see the point of it. and texting while driving isn’t a good idea!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 26, 2009

I totally support the idea! I can’t believe that people text while driving – that is insane!! I hope this becomes a law in Saskatchewan as well.

Leah @ L4L October 26, 2009

We have the cell phone ban here in WA… but that doesn’t stop me! :D I read blogs on my Blackberry and text while driving. And talk on the phone. Sometimes on speaker, sometimes not, sometimes with a head set, but sometimes not. Bad, I know. Dangerous, I know. But I only do it at slow speeds in areas I am familiar with! :D No excuse, I know. Shame on me. But when you commute 2+ hours a day… it’s hard not to!

Amy October 26, 2009

I was sooo happy that this law was passed!

I was rear ended last year by a woman that was talking on the phone. The same woman also had her make up bag open on her seat which leads me (and the police that came to the scene) that she was also applying her make up.

Diana October 26, 2009

That place is so beautiful! :)
And that dinner looks really good.

As for your question… It is banned in my country, actually. I still see people doing it which kinda pisses me off but yeah.

Amanda (modernation) October 26, 2009

I am so happy about these laws. I live in California, so we have had this law for quiet some time. I get so mad when I see people using their cell phones while driving – they seem to always be the ones all over the road.

Gillian October 26, 2009

I like ‘Empower’, go with your gut!

Cell phones are illegal while driving in France and I think it’s a great idea, even though people still smoke while riding scooters..

Elle October 26, 2009

I am in California and think the ban is a great thing. Now when I visit people in other states, I am always a little shocked when they pull out their cell phones while driving.

I don’t get it. Talking/texting cannot be important enough to put yourself (and others) at risk!

Pam October 26, 2009

Nice dinner Eric…lucky girl you are! I feel they should ban cells/texting also!

Enjoy!

liane October 26, 2009

BC just announced we will have the same law come into effect January 1. I am guilty of talking on the phone all the time, so I guess I will have to get a headset!
although i’ve never texted or emailed while driving… i did get a blackberry 2 weeks ago and i fully admit to checking while stopped at red lights! I guess i will need to stop that.

Danielle C. October 26, 2009

I live in Washington State and the law has been in effect for about a year and a half now. Sadly it is a secondary offense, in most jurisdictions there haven’t been many citations handed out. I have noticed that in some cities they will create a primary offense to pull you over if they think you are on your cell phone.

For example, my husband HATES talking on his phone without a Bluetooth headset. He won’t even stand in the house and talk without his…awhile back he had an officer pull him over because his license plate light was supposedly out. The first thing he asked was if my husband was on his cell phone, which he was not…the blue light on his headset was lit up and in his ear anyways. After the cop left (without writing a citation) my husband stepped out of his car and BOTH of his license plate lights were on…very suspicious.

Nikki T October 26, 2009

I’m in agreement with the handheld cell phone ban- although I always used to talk on my phone while driving, I now do not as a couple months ago they banned it in Strathcona County (Sherwood Park, AB). I’m so used it not, I rarely ever talk on my cell even in places that it is still aloud.

Looking forward to hearing about the sale tomorrow! I hope I can get in on it…!

Susan October 26, 2009

My boyfriend texts while driving and it drives me NUTS. SO dangerous!! He’ll pull over to eat in the car, but he’ll look down to type on a phone that doesn’t even have a keyboard…

With that said, I do a lot of long distance driving for my job, and I often get a lot of work done talking over the phone while I’m on the road. It would suck if I wasn’t able to do that.

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 26, 2009

I think it is such a good idea. It can be so dangerous. I learned to drive in NJ and we were not allowed to use cell phones. I have lived in 4 other states since NJ and they are not against it phones in cars. I hate driving while talking or texting, it is too distracting.

Mo October 26, 2009

We have that law in California and sadly, people still talk and text while driving!

Dinner looked delicious!

LOVE the quote that you included today – it’s one of my favorites!

Cara (Cara Craves...) October 26, 2009

It’s about time cell phones were officially banned…some people are crazy enough while they are driving and don’t need anything else distracting them!

Alanna October 26, 2009

I’m in Newfoundland and we’ve had the ban here for awhile now and I completely support it! Although I’m not convince that it is being overly abided by, I notice far too many drivers still using their phones daily, but I DO think it has really cut down on the amount of drivers that do and I haven’t heard of any accidents due to cell use in quite some time!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 26, 2009

Haha lentils ARE one of the LBD equivalents in foodland! I love that.

YES YES absolutely support bans on cell phone use while driving. I know from using my cell WAY TOO MUCH while driving that it can so easily be the cause of an accident; i’ve had SO many close calls because I wasn’t paying attention.

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com October 26, 2009

We have a cell phone ban in California that prohibits driving and phones without hands-free sets. Although people kicked their cell phone habits temporarily right after the law went into effect, it seems like people are back to their old ways. I see people driving and talking/texting all the time. Sigh.

Jil October 26, 2009

I agree wholeheartedly with the banning of handheld devices…I actually wrote a paper on it, and did a speech on it during school. The reaction time of a person on a handheld device is worse than someone is drunk. It’s nice to know that that prohibits people from texting while driving, too.

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 26, 2009

I love the ban. I lived in NY for many years and got used to my hands-free earpiece for my long drives. It is good and safer and doesn’t give me a crick in my neck.

BTW I love the title Empower. It really fits.

gracie October 26, 2009

I am so happy that the ban is getting passed in more and more cities. I live in Arizona where cellphone is not completely banned although I think texting while driving is. I’m glad that being on the road will be safer.

Lori October 26, 2009

Our state (NY) has had that ban in place for a while. It’s amazing how many people ignore it though. You can use a bluetooth headset while driving, so you can still talk to people. I think overall it’s a good idea.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 26, 2009

I love the name Empower!

I hate cell phones while driving! I wish they’d be banned everywhere!

K October 26, 2009

I am so glad to see this finally coming to fruition! I hope this will encourage other provinces and countries to follow suit. I recall reading some statistic that said people who drove while on the phone were more dangerous that drunk drivers – what a scary piece of information!
Love the new bar too! :)
-K

Marilyn October 26, 2009

My state (Washington) already has a handheld device law, and I think it is necessary. Too many people drive and text, which is so unsafe.

Mellissa October 26, 2009

Empower is a great name! They banned texting while driving in Minnesota but not talking on your phone. I think that will be next.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 26, 2009

What gorgeous scenery Angela! Our seasonal peak was a couple of weeks ago, and we’ve been having insane amounts of rain lately, so it’s taken all the colorful leaves off the trees. It IS beautiful while it lasts! :)

The texting ban was just recently passed in my city. I definitely think it’s a good idea!

xxoo
Heather

Nicole October 26, 2009

Driving while using a cellphone is banned in Connecticut and I am so thankful for it! It doesn’t seem to be enforced to well though; I always see people using them. I think that texting or talking on the cell while driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving.

Ali October 26, 2009

I read an article that said it didn’t matteer in many cases if the person was holding a phone and talking or using a hands free device – they were cognitively devoted to something else and so scanned the road less and had slower reaction times! But texting – oh man, I’ve almost got into some bad situtation texting – that should DEFINITELY be banned!

Jenna October 26, 2009

I need to order myself some Glo Bar pronto! They always look so good :)

I just did a review on my blog about a cooking class I went to this past weekend. The woman left her job as a lawyer to pursue her passion in cooking, which reminded me of you. You should check it out if you have time!

Stella @ EcoStella October 26, 2009

I love that we have the ban here in California. It bugs me when I still see people texting while driving, it’s just so dangerous!

Nicci@NiftyEats October 26, 2009

We have only banned it in school zones here in Tx, but we should everywhere. People cant multi-task and drivers and pedestrians are being injured from ppl not paying attention.

Kristie Lynn October 26, 2009

Can’t wait for the new variety pack! I’ve been patiently waiting for a time when the stars align – aka lots of bars are available and I actually have money so I can order some :)

kris October 27, 2009

Hi Angela, Why have I not tried some of these glow bars yet?! That new bar looks so yummy!!

Cell phones are still allowed here in BC, but I am not sure for how much longer. I admit I am a drive chatter so I will be hooking it up to my car! I can’t be without contact while stuck in downtown traffic :)

Jenny @JennyLikesToRun, on a mission to run a marathon to fundraise for the Breast Cancer Foundation October 27, 2009

This is just about to become banned in New Zealand which I fully support 110%!!! I’m 15 and two weeks ago I had my first driving lesson. Whilst I was driving, I was concentrating SO HARD and was taking into account all of the things and distractions around me, I immediately said to my Boyfriend “How do people text and drive at the same time??!?! How can they possibly concentrate on driving carefully??”. So I’m so glad this is finally illegal. I think it will make a huge difference as far as distraction related road accidents are concerned.

Juicy Jessy October 27, 2009

I live in Belgium and we currently do have a law that forbids the use of a cell phone while driving (I think we’ve had it for more than three years now) but they’re debating that also the use of headsets, bluetooth, … will be forbidden! Reason is that they claim is distracts the drivers attention. I think this is a little bit ridiculous, then they should also forbid to have noisy children in the back seat :-)

Page 1 of 212»