How To Improve Work Performance

I do it by listening to this…

IMG 5044 thumb   How To Improve Work Performance

Behold the beast! hahaha. ;)

IMG 5041 thumb   How To Improve Work Performance

Come on you know that you have a one lurking somewhere in your place too! ;)

A couple weeks ago, I realized that baking all day in the kitchen would be much more fun if I put some music on!!!

I was so glad that I decided to do it (thanks Eric!) because now the time goes by much faster and I even sing and dance to the music. It sure beats complete silence!

A recent study found that software designers who listened to music while working had the highest levels of positivity and quality of work.

My favourite station to bake to is Z103.5 in Toronto! It is a mix of hip-hop, dance, and techo. All fast beats that make me stir faster. ;)

However, when I was working my desk job, I found that listening to classical or easy-listening songs helped me concentrate better, especially when writing research articles. I always found that listening to music at work made the environment more fun and less serious too.

~~~~

Do you listen to music while working?

What do you listen to?

Angela Signature thumb22   How To Improve Work Performance

Without music life would be a mistake.  ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Cate October 9, 2009

I teach, and when I play mellow, instrumental music the kids completely mellow out and are much more productive. My husband finds me all sorts of good ambient music online. When I’m just working at my desk or on my own, reggae totally puts me in the zone.

Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life October 9, 2009

I use to at my old job but at my new job it is forbidden.. it would help me concentrate and I am defiantly missing my music!!

::christine:: October 9, 2009

Silence…

Hmm..what’s that? lol. I hate silence for the most part so to get through my day I have a radio and a beastly boom box under my desk. I bring in old cds I never pop in at home or car but I really enjoy while at my desk banging away at the keys. I also love, love, love good talk radio and they help break of the monotony and make my day go by faster and more enjoyably.

Lizzie October 9, 2009

My job makes it hard for me to listen to music as I need to listen to other audio as part of my work, but if I have a heap of emails to compose, I definitely put on my headphones, open up iTunes and find some songs to get me speed typing!! :)

Runeatrepeat October 9, 2009

I don’t listen to music at work, but sometimes have the TV on.

Allison October 9, 2009

I LOVE playing music while I bake or clean!! It puts me in a great mood :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 9, 2009

I don’t get to choose my music, since I work at a store. But it’s true good music puts everyone in a great mood, sometimes we (okay not me cause I’m shy) get up on the cash register and dance.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 9, 2009

I love music – there is always something for my mood. I definitely have a boom box like that!

Sarah October 9, 2009

I work in a cubicle and most of us have our headphones on to help us stay focused and get some work done :)

I love Pandora.com and I usually alternate between my two favorite “stations”: New Age Ambient (which I call yoga music) and Pop/Hair metal.

Good combo, huh? :)

Jacqueline October 9, 2009

Yes, all the time. Pandora is my favorite. I can change the genre with my moods. :)

Kat - Curves for Life October 9, 2009

I am now listening to Z103.5 online – love that I can tune into it in BC! :-)

This will make accounting SO much easier.

Kerri October 9, 2009

There have been studies about running and listening to music — also — which prove that when you’re jamming out you’re much more likely to push yourself HARDER and longer!

When I’m at work I love Pandora too (yay Sarah!) and I flip between oldies (like Motown) or alternative rock — anything that keeps my energy and mood UP!!

Trish (girlatgym) October 9, 2009

I’m a writer by day – so it’s hard to concentrate (for me) with music on. I might do the sound of rain to block out noise in the background.

At night I work in a gym – and the music is on loud and clear. It does boost me up when it’s a song I like. :-)

Valerie October 9, 2009

At my summer job I listened to Rock 95 out of Barrie… they play a lot of classic rock which I LOVE as well as some newer stuff. The top 500 Labour Day countdown was always fun too. The top 100 are some of the THE best rock songs of all time.

I now listen to either Z103.5 or 102.1 (Edge) but it’s mostly in the car. At work we listen to some best of the 90′s on Yahoo’s radio site thing… it’s amazing!

Mellissa October 9, 2009

I have my radio on at my desk all day and listen to a Womens Talk Radio station in Minneapolis, it is the only one in the country and full of positive messages! FM107.1 if you are curious :)

David October 9, 2009

Wow.. I think I remember that boombox from when I lived at the house. Enjoy your dancing and stirring!

Diana October 9, 2009

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. It depends on the shoot. If it’s a wedding, well, there’s gonna be music! At least later in the evening. ;)

Eve October 9, 2009

Oh my goodness, are those cassette docks I see? An older fried tried to lend me some music a couple years ago – on cassette – and I realized I didn’t even have a way to play it!

I don’t mind listening to music if I’m cooking or something, but one of my worst pet peeves is when people have music on as background noise. I don’t know how they can think straight! :)

Lizzy October 9, 2009

i agree with music, it always makes things more enjoyable! :)

Claire October 9, 2009

I listen to talk radio.hehe… cc

Erin October 9, 2009

If I’m crunching towards a deadline, I put the headphones on and crank some hard rock to keep my body energized to plow through the mounds of paperwork on my desk!

At home, especially when I’m cooking/baking/in the kitchen, I’ve got the stereo on. Dancing while cooking makes everything better!

Kristilyn (singer-songwriter) October 9, 2009

I have a crazy amount of music at home and always listen when I’m in the kitchen or cleaning. I sometimes remember, when I’m at my actual job, that I have a CD player – but it’s usually late in the day.

The best part of the year is winter because then I get the “good” car which has a 6-disc CD player and I can listen to anything I want (including Hawksley Workman, who is forbidden whenever the husband is around.).

HUGE music lover!

K :-)

Sara October 9, 2009

Listening to the radio at work right now!

I just got back from a 10-month leave and while I was away they didn’t listen. Radio was my first plan of action :) It does make the environment a little more cheerful and the time flies a little more quickly!

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 9, 2009

I can’t concentrate unless there is music or noise on. I alternate between Christian contemporary online and Pandora with a mix of pop music.

I recently started putting LOST episodes from NetFlix on and listening/watching it. I do this a lot with regular TV at night so its habit. The good news is I can rewind netflix if I miss something important.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) October 9, 2009

Listening to music when I’m working is a must!!!

I bring my iPod and listen to whatever I’m in the mood for ;)

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness October 9, 2009

There are certain tasks I can’t do (like spreadsheets or math problems) while listening to music! I don’t know why, I just can’t. My brain doesn’t function. But I always have music on otherwise!

Natalie (body-n-balance.blogspot.com) October 9, 2009

YES! I need music when I work out especially with cardio…it makes it so much more fun when there is a fun beat that you can listen and dance to make you go faster with the beat. My favorite thing is when I am running, I have specific songs that make me run faster so I always tried to sprint when they come on :D Feel free to tell me what music you like to listen to on here or on my website (body-n-balance.blogspot.com) :D

Pure2Raw - Twins October 9, 2009

I love listening to music. All types of music. There is some dancing involved as well when I am in the kitchen. :) I like to listen to songs that I can really sing to… though I have to make sure that no one is watching. HAHA. Music is so powerful! I feel it can really change a person’s behavior or mind.

Paige (Running Around Normal) October 9, 2009

Loving boom box! haha. I jam out to my iPod at work a lot – it blocks out distractions and motivates me :)

on the rocks October 9, 2009

I don’t normally listen to music while working being that I have to watch tv as part of my job….but, I do listen while I’m in the shower and definitely when I am cooking. Always gets me going!

Jolene October 9, 2009

I am a teacher, so there is usually too much noise in the room as it is – but I put the radio on during art etc. The kids always complain about the songs – you can’t please everyone!

When I am at home cleaning/ cooking etc. I put music on.

I don’t listen to music while studying or doing homework for university, but I do put it on when I mark kids work.

maria October 9, 2009

Now see that’s where we are different. I can’t get anything truly productive done and listen to music. At least not if I have to be REALLY concentrating hard on something. I could probably bake, though!

Jenny Eastwood October 9, 2009

I always listen to music. ALL the time. The only time I truly CAN’T is when I’m out on a bike ride, and that’s for safety purposes. Music fuels me. I focus so much better when I’m relaxed by listening to good music. The most common artists I listen to are: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Michael Jackson and Guns N’ Roses. They’re my favourites!

EatingRD October 9, 2009

Usually I concentrate best when there is some kind of white noise in the background like a fan or hum which is kind of weird. I like to have music on when I’m cleaning (stevie wonder station on pandora is the best!), but then I find myself dancing more and not cleaning haha

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? October 10, 2009

Only just got rid of our chunky old stereo about a year ago and instead got a Bose docking station! So good! Can’t work with music unfortunately, I just can’t concentrate :(

Susan October 10, 2009

Cooking/baking is one of my favourite activities to do while listening to music!! I always blare it and sing along :) I work at a radio station, so we ALWAYS have the radio on. Although, that can add to my stress if we go to dead air and I have to fix it! :P