A Much Needed Weekend Vacation

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 20, 2009

AHOY MATEYS!

Cap’n Angela at your service!

IMG_4409

We are having a wonderful time visiting the in-laws this weekend.

We settled into our room! It’s so cute and cozy.

IMG_6253

Then we started off with a fun boat ride. The weather warmed up and turned out beautiful.

IMG_6304

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky all day.

IMG_6255

We loved looking at the houses…

IMG_6302 IMG_6286 IMG_6291 IMG_6292 IMG_6296 IMG_6300

Then Eric and I got ready for our bike/run 10k!

I will be honest here, by this time it was 5pm and I was not feeling like going for a run at all! That’s why I rarely go for runs in the late-day/evening. With each hour my motivation wanes.

Eric, in his jokingly drill-sergeant mode, says to me, “Quit your complaining, we’ve got a race to train for here.”

I love how he said we with such conviction. ;)  I guess I have a new coach?? In all fairness to him, he will be getting up with me next Sunday at an ungodly hour to come cheer me on. :)

Here I am mid-run:

IMG_6312

The 10k was really hilly and my legs were crying out in protest. This week put a lot of stress on my leg muscles and they definitely felt tired on this run. I just kept telling myself to take it slow and that this was my last tough run before the race. It’s literally all down hill after this run!

Run stats:

• Distance: 10k
  • Duration: 57 mins
  • Avg pace: 9:25 min/mile
  • Max pace: 7:39 min/mile
  • Max HR: 157 bpm
  • Avg HR: 145 bpm

All and all it was a good run. I took it slower than Wednesday’s 10k, but I still pushed myself. I can’t believe that my half marathon is in 1 week from today! I am so excited. This week I have the following planned:

• MON- 4 miles
  • WED- 3 miles

And probably some cross training on Tuesday and Thursday and then I will take off Friday and Saturday completely to rest my legs.

Soon after the run and showering, it was time to make dinner! Eric and I offered my mother-in-law to help her with all the cooking.

First, I dabbled in some photography of course :)

IMG_4552

IMG_4539

IMG_4545

Did you know that roosters in kitchens are supposed to be good luck?

I need to get one in my kitchen asap! haha

IMG_4547

IMG_4549

And so did Eric:

Meet Clancy.

He stole my heart in front of the fire last night. ;)

IMG_4524

Sketchie’s on high alert!

IMG_4510

My MIL wanted to make her chicken stir-fry dish with a cream based sauce, so we just removed my veggies before she added the sauce and chicken. It was really easy. She is really sweet and understanding about me being a vegan and she always goes out of her way to make sure that I am happy. :) It feels really good to be able to adhere to my lifestyle even when on the road.

She is really cute…she of course knows about my blog and she kept telling me to take pictures of all the food. She was like, ‘Oh did you get a picture of this yet?’

IMG_4563

We also had salad to go with it. My MIL always jokes about how big my salads are. She always says, “I could feed a group of 4 with the size of your salads!” It’s really true. But if there is one thing I have found it is that when you are a vegetarian or a vegan especially, you need to eat A LOT of food to maintain your weight and energy levels. I am not shy or bashful about making sure that I am getting enough fuel. After my run, I also went into the kitchen and got a snack because I was starving. There is no shame in eating. I only wish I could have discovered this 10 years ago. ;)

My dinner:

IMG_4573

I totally felt like I was eating a fresh bowl!

IMG_4575

I sprinkled a few of the pasta over top but I didn’t end up eating them. I am not a big pasta person (unless it is spaghetti).

IMG_4574

Aside from the pasta, I ate every last bite of both the salad and stir-fry. My stomach was literally in pain after this meal!!! I really ate too much, but it was sooooooo good. I couldn’t help myself.

After visiting until about 11:30pm, I headed to bed and curled up with this:

It was quite possibly the perfect day! I didn’t connect to technology all day and it felt so amazing. I really need more PC downtime.

IMG_6328

This book is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t put it down.

IMG_6332

Enjoy your Sunday! We are off for another boat ride soon I think. :)

Angela_Signature

[email protected] September 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

Mmmmm fresh! What a gorgeous weekend! I would have love to go away to such a gorgeous place!!

Jolene September 20, 2009 at 11:41 am

I love the little bench at the window in your room – I have always wanted one of those so I could curl up on it and read a book by the window … just like on TV :-) Hehe.

leianna September 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Thats great your hubby is like a coach and motivates you!
Love the kitty pictures too and what a great salad!

Becky September 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I love the sailing photo! It looks like a j. crew ad! Glad you had a fun time!

Jenna September 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm

It looks like you are having a blast! So much fun :)

Mike always asks if I have gotten pictures of things too. It’s fricken adorable!

Rosey Rebecca September 20, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Sounds like a great weekend!! Those cats are adorable!

Brandi C. September 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Such a fun and Relaxing Weekend!
O yea, that stir fry looks YUMMY!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm

That’s so sweet of your MIL to support your lifestyle.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) September 20, 2009 at 1:03 pm

What a wonderful mini vacation, and how nice that you don’t have to worry too much about what your eating habits and choices will be like when you visit your in laws. Love the pics of sketchie and clancy, are they friends yet?

Have a great vacation!

Susan September 20, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Bahaha, love that pic of you at the top! Wow, I can’t believe your race is so soon! I’m excited for you! My family is always concerned about me getting pictures of all the food too, it’s cute :) Enjoy the rest of your mini vacay!

Marina September 20, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I am glad that you had fun! My future in laws also are full of understanding, and they try to always make something for me that I can eat. But sometimes, they forget and, well, I stay hungry :D

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm

The kitty is adorable and the scenery stunning. Nice that your MIL is understanding about your needs. BTW, just a question- you had veggies and more veggies and then a side of veggies and some veggies sprinkled on top for your dinner. I know you were stuffed (I get the same way with huge salads etc) but without much protein (was there some fat?) were you not hungry a couple of hours later? Just curious! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Noramlly I would be but since we ate such a late dinner (9isH) I couldnt even think of food before bed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm

thats normally ;)

Maya September 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm

A frickin men! As a pescetarian, and an athletic one, I need my big salads and fuel. I’ve learned that eating more works way better for me. love reading someone else saying the same thing!

angieinatlanta September 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Beautiful pictures!

And it’s so awesome that Eric is so supportive! You’ve got a winner there!

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness September 20, 2009 at 4:09 pm

What a supportive husband :-) I gotta get my boyfriend to help motivate me.
Have fun!

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

skinnyrunner September 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm

im the same way with working out. i have to do in the morning or it just doesnt happen. at all.

Glidingcalm September 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm

that room is adorable!!! i had a blue room when I was little, and I still get warm and fuzzy memories when I see blue bedrooms!!

love the kitty pics!

hurray for boat rides!!!!!!!!!

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I’m so glad your weekend eating was easy. Your MIL sounds super nice!

kristi (sweet cheeks) September 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm

That is awesome that your MIL is so understanding about your way of eating! More people should be like her. :)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day Angela!

Ellen @ Peace in Motion September 20, 2009 at 8:15 pm

people ALWAYS comment on the size of my salads too. I just tell them I need the green to keep my body doing good things for me ;)

Lesley Living Life September 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Glad you got to spend some time away from your computer! : ) I think it’s needed every now and then.

Katrina M September 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Hey Angela!! Just wanted to stop by… great job on your run today, I know you will be just fine! I just wanted to share, I ran my half marathon today!! :) I finished how I wanted too, a little earlier than I thought I was going to, and it went well!! I love reading your blogs and keeping up with you, and I knew you were training and just wanted to share! :) keep up the good work, it’s totally worth it!

WholeBodyLove September 21, 2009 at 1:59 am

How great of your MIL to be so accomodating! I love your pics of Sketchie, they’re always so cute er…um handsome. ;)

allijag September 21, 2009 at 3:33 am

how cute that your MIL wants to help out the blog and be so accommodating to how you eat – I LOVE IT when that happens (because like you experienced with that waiter a few weeks ago – some people just like to be difficult about it!)

i love that first picture of you – too cute :)

leslie September 21, 2009 at 9:23 am

love all the vegetables and the scenery. i’m glad you’re enjoying yourself! also amen to eating a lot when you eat a healthfully – it can’t be said enough!

it’s great that your mil is so understanding of your choices. i struggle with this, because i’m not vegetarian or vegan, but 80% of the time i would say i eat vegan, aside from daily greek yogurt. but if i want cheese or fish, i’ll have it, and if i want to taste something else, i will. more than a little complicated to explain to people!

Pam September 21, 2009 at 10:00 am

That little bedroom is so beautiful! My boyfriend just agreed to try out a bike/run with me hahaha. He was against it at first but then was like…”I think riding my bike really slow for 10 miles will be fun..”

Claire September 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

Those are some great pictures,Angela!Of course,I always love kitty faces:-) cc

Andrea (Off Her Cork) September 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

My fave thing is stuffing my face with yummy healthy food! It’s so much more satisfying than icky poo stuff.

So glad you are having a great time visiting!

chandra h September 21, 2009 at 10:41 am

love your photography :) still life is so beautiful

great job on the run!!! & haha, thats so funny how eric is being all coach-like. go team!

have a great rest of your visit :)