The Wheatgrass Made Me Do It

After baking today, I had a photoshoot with the goods!

Meet my Vegan Dulce de Leche Brownie Bomb Biscotti:

IMG_4267

BOOYAH!

Meet Classic Glo-nola:

IMG_4286IMG_4295

The newest Glo Bar to hit the streets- RENEW (high protein + antioxidant)

IMG_4297

IMG_4312

Fun times!

I’m quite pooped from baking and packaging all day long. I am going to take the night off work me thinks.

~~~~~

Speed Work is Tough On The Bod

I’m so stiff from the 10k speed run yesterday! Like I said, speed work is much harder on the body than distance training. My entire body is stiff today (much like it felt after my two races). Speed training really taxes the body and immune system. I think I will do some light walking tonight to get the blood flowing.

To make my insides smile (and my outsides cringe), I tried my first shot of 100% pure and fresh wheatgrass juice today.

Wheatgrass juice and broccoli sprout juice have been shown to be anti-carcinogenic (prevent and fight cancer), among other things like boosting the immune system.

I ordered this from the natural food co-op where I purchase all of my bakery goods. It has to be refrigerated and I was happy to see that it arrived very cold.

I got the Wheatgrass juice:

IMG_4319

And Broccoli Sprout Juice:

IMG_4323

I decided to do it like a champ and take the shot straight down.

IMG_4318

It was neon green! And very thin. I guess I am used to thick green monsters but this was simply juice as the name says.

The taste?

I’m not going to lie, this wasn’t very good. That’s why I did it in shot form (I poured it into a shot glass so it would come out faster). But to my surprise it had a very light sweetness to it. I could see this stuff growing on me in a weird way.

As I stood there in the kitchen with my shot of wheatgrass, it occurred to me, with a chuckle, how weird I truly am.

Cheers to glowing health! ;)

What’s the weirdest thing you have done in the name of health? What is the strangest food, drink, or supplement you have taken? What was it like?

Angela_Signature

“Nobody can prevent you from choosing to be exceptional.”

~Mark Sanborn

1 Maria September 17, 2009

I love all of your healthy treats! I don’t think I have done anything too weird. I don’t believe in diets, just healthy lifestyles and balance. No pill or diet can solve anything. It is all about eating less and moving more and enjoying life!

2 Morgan September 17, 2009

I had wheatgrass once and could taste it all day! Not for me.
The pictures are beautiful, the biscotti look great.

3 Jess (Fit Chick in the City) September 17, 2009

I use to drink a wheatgrass shot everyday in grad school. Maybe I should go back to that crazy habit. ;)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2009

It made my insides smile :)

5 Ellen September 17, 2009

i used to take shots of aloe vera juice. seriously yuck. i should really start again, but it’s expensive and narsty. ha

6 mrsdmk November 21, 2013

Ellen, Were us using the aloe leaf powder??? I just got some along with some other herbal supplements including bee pollen, and barley grass and i tried about 2 tsp or so in one of my drink and it was so nasty and bitter i couldnt even swallow 1 sip!!!! what can I do so i can add it to drinks & still be able to bear the taste??? i am thinking I may have to buy empty capsules to put the powder in and take it by mouth….

7 Jolene September 17, 2009

The weirdest thing I can think of right now is just doing a shot of wheatgrass … but I am sure there are weirder things!

8 Meghan@traveleatlove September 17, 2009

I love your “weirdness”! And your baked goods :) I can not swallow really big pills (mental block from childhood) so once I decided to puncture my “odorless” fish oil tablets to put in my smoothie. Well. . . just typing about it is making me gag, if you could only imagine how THAT GM tasted!

9 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 17, 2009

Your baked goods look heavenly, the packaging is great and you should be sooo proud of yourself!

The weirdest things I have taken? Some crazy nasty tasting TCM (traditional chinese medicine) herbs in the name of saving my pregnancy when I was spotting and almost miscarrying at 12 weeks. They worked…the pregnancy was saved, and my little girl will be turning 3 yrs in Feb. :)

But the herbs were horrid tasting. But you’ll do anything in the name of your child :)

xoxo
averie

10 Jess September 17, 2009

I’ve always thought wheatgrass tasted like fresh green pea pods. I’ve never been a big fan of either, unfortunately, but if it wasn’t so pricey I’d have no problem drinking it daily.

11 Angi September 17, 2009

By smiling do you mean falling out like nobody’s business or just happy?

12 YogaFab September 17, 2009

I tried a wheat grass shot once and it was horrible. Maybe I should try it again? I’m not so sure, but the Vegan Dulce de Leche Brownie Bomb Biscotti sound delicious :).

13 Carrie September 17, 2009

I take my own cereal and soy milk into hotel restaurants for breakfast and get looks from waiters and other patrons at how weird I am. :)

14 Nora September 17, 2009

the biscotti look so perfect!

15 Mellissa September 17, 2009

I just started acupuncture and taking crazy herbs that I have no clue what it says because its in Chinese. But hey, if it gets rid of migraines I am game!!

16 Lesley Living Life September 17, 2009

Your biscottis look amazing!

Haha, I would love to do wheatgrass shots with you! ; )

17 Alicia September 17, 2009

I make a green monster every day, and sometimes I have to eat it on the run, which means I’m still holding it when I get to the bus stop.
In the last week, two people have asked me what the heck I’m drinking! :D
Today, a girl asked, “well, do you *like* it?” to which I responded, “Of course! I look forward to it every morning!”
I’d rather be weird and interesting than normal :)

18 Kath September 17, 2009

Fun fotos!!!

19 Jessica J September 17, 2009

I agree with everybody who said your baked goods look so beautiful, nice job on the photography!

I think the wierdest think I ever did was take massive doses of fenugreek to try and boost milk production when I was breastfeeding my first. I think it helped, but I smelled like maple syrup for a month!

20 Ellen @ Peace in Motion September 17, 2009

oh Ang, that biscotti is making me hungryyyyyyyyyyy! looks delish

21 K September 17, 2009

Um that biscotti looks fantastic!! Also, hooray for wheatgrass! I have never had it straight up (and to be honest, I am a bit scared to!) but I have had a shot mixed into veggie/fruit juice. I couldn’t really taste it, or at least discern what flavour it was, but the drink was definitely good overall. I haven’t heard about this broccoli business though, interested to see how it is.
-K

22 Kristin September 17, 2009

A little old Vietnamese woman who owns a juice stand near told me to only take wheatgrass in shot form she said its more beneficial than mixing it into smoothies and juices and I believed her. I haven’t found anything to back that up have you heard anything like that?

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2009

Yup Ive heard that too!
I did a shot first thing this AM on an empty stomach.

24 Nikki September 17, 2009

I’d like to try each of those new treats!

I wouldn’t really consider it weird…more like torture (but good torture!)- I just started a Kettlebells class!
I know I’m going to LOVE it, but as my body gets used to it I have to deal with very sore muscles! Who though that swinging a 12kg bell/weight could whip your abs and butt into shape!?
Everyone should try it!

25 Kristin September 18, 2009

I would looooove to take a kettlebells class but I use a company gym and the classes are limited :(

26 Kristin September 17, 2009

The wheatgrass *does* grow on you. I was really surprised by the taste the first time I had it, but it gets very enjoyable. Plus, they say each shot has the anti-oxidants of over 2.5 lbs of veggies!

The weirdest thing I ever had was this tea from my naturopath that was supposed to help my skin. I tasted like stewed green beans – it was the strangest taste ever! Though there was also a time I decided to put vanilla protein powder in an Odwalla Superfood…not recommended.

I love your site!
Kristin

27 Salina September 17, 2009

OH!! I wish I lived in Canada or US so I could taste that Biscotti! It looks simply divine!

hmm.. The weirdest think I have taken in the name of health would have to be these Chinese herbs my natropath prescribed me.. It had stuff like slippery elm, nutmeg, and some other stuff. Apparently you had to mix it with water but it wasn’t soluable and kind just floated on the top.. Tasted like I had put a bit of tree bark in my mouth and was chewing that up.. gross..

My dad takes this stuff that supposed to help his chronic fatigue, and it smells like burning tyres — from the look on Dad’s face when he drinks it, i don’t think it tastes any better — but I’ve never been game to try it!

28 Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 17, 2009

Your energy is infectious! I actually liked wheatgrass the one time I tried it; I must be a strange one!

29 Kelly Turner September 17, 2009

ooo the biscotti looks awesome- and the name is a mouthful!

i dont do weird stuff for health, because usually the weird stuff isnt very healthy. I

30 Lena September 18, 2009

Gosh! Angi! I wish i were living in the vacinity of Canada or US, i would love to order your creations! your glo-bars!!! they look fantastic and most of all wholesome food!!!
Hopefully someday you’ll consider taking orders from overseas too!!! sigh! :)

31 Lena September 18, 2009

Maybe when i set up a health bar or something i can become your client and order your creations!!! someday… i pray it will happen, my own little shop! :)

32 Marina September 18, 2009

Hey! I need your help. I wanted to make those banana peanut butter muffins and skini mini glo buns, and freeze them so I can have them whenever I want to. Can I do that? are they freezer friendly? :D

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2009

I’ve never frozen these treats in particular, but if done very carefully, you might be able to!

Whenever I freeze anything, I always double wrap it in saran wrap and then put it in a ziplock baggie….and then sometimes in tupperware as a 4th layer. It seems to work ok, but the taste is never the same no matter how careful I am.

34 Marina September 18, 2009

Thanks! I’ll try to freeze something, I just can’t decide between skini mini, that banana pb bombs or flax muffins. I’ll let you know the result!

35 Shannon September 18, 2009

I think I need to add wheat grass to my list of thing I need to try. It sounds like the health benefits might be worth the taste!

36 Ann September 18, 2009

I have a list of weird foods.
Made for me by others!
My Dad used to make me tongue and headcheese sandwiches for school lunch.
No we were not farmers he just thought that since he found these things so good he would share.
After biting into one of these 2 everything he made from them on was pulled apart and sniffed for weirdness before I ate it, Yuk is all I can say.
My friends Mom made us a rabbit stew one night and blood pudding another. All I can say about both of these are they are meals of nightmares’. Others have feed me venison and lamb.
Weird pregnancy things.
When I was pregnant I craved Cesar salad with a nice tall glass of orange juice.
What I have feed myself!
Cliff shots – I think this should be renamed to cliff snot. Ok from my list above maybe not the worst I have ever eating but the worst I have picked out for myself to eat.
Kellogg’s vector bars – tastes like the wonderful glass of chalk they give you to drink before an x-ray with a kicking vitamin aftertaste.
So I now check out the food that people are trying to feed me and ask what it is.

37 Pam September 18, 2009

WOWSER…those biscotti are awesome…great job!

38 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 18, 2009

Those biscotti look amazing! Great job:)

Speed worth is pretty hard on the body, and I’ve noticed first hand how taxing it is on the immune system – I thought it was just a coincidence.

Kudos to you for the wheat grass shot:)

39 talesfromtwocities September 18, 2009

I became completely addicted to dulche de leche in Argentina, those biscotti look amazing!

40 Anne Marie @ her new weigh September 18, 2009

Those baked goods look delicious! The weirdest thing I’ve ever done in the name of health is to make green monsters. I ended up LOVING them and have one every day!

41 Whitney September 18, 2009

Embrace your weirdness! It’s what makes us special! :D

42 brandi September 18, 2009

i’m working on my weirdness :)

those biscotti look great!

43 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 18, 2009

Food, fitness, fashion and fun?!? OMG this blog is for me! I love it! And you are gorgeous!

44 jamie September 18, 2009

I’ve found the best thing to do after a wheat grass shot is suck on an orange segment! I tried it for the first time when I was in Hawaii and for some reason it makes the aftertaste bearable, I highly recomend it!

45 Allison (Balance in Bites) September 18, 2009

That granola looks great. I’m such a sucker for granola. Really anything cerealy in general. =P

The “weirdest” thing I do is add spinach to my smoothies, and in this crowd of healthy bloggers, that’s not weird at all! ^.^

46 Sonia September 18, 2009

I have never heard of the broc sprout shots! Those look pretty cool… I get freshly juiced wheatgrass shots at a smoothie place near where I live and they serve it to you with a shot of freshly squeezed OJ as a chaser!! The orange juice makes it so much better! Hope you try it!

47 Kelly September 18, 2009

I’m salivating at the photos of your biscotti! They look AMAZING.

48 Michelle September 18, 2009

I grew up with a father who adored wheatgrass. He grows his own trays and juices it and everything. Now I work at Booster Juice where we sell it and I’m trying to get into the habit of taking some daily. Not the best tasting, I agree, but it’s just so good for you!!!

49 Faith September 18, 2009

I have to say that your products look so fabulous…especially the biscotti…wow! And I love how healthy they all are!

50 Jess September 18, 2009

I did a wheatgrass shot once from Jamba juice … ugh. I was sick about 30 minutes later. But I’ve had the wheatgrass powder from Amazing grass, and that didn’t make me sick. Go figure.

51 Bill September 19, 2009

I drink wheat and barley grass juice and sometimes oat grass juice. If I don’t feel like putting up with the taste I simply do like the alcohol enthusiasts do and create a mixed drink. Pour a shot of wheatgrass juice into a glass of apple juice of something. It goes down a lot easier. It’s better than skipping it.