The Food-Mood Connection

Greetings friends!

I need a baking break right about now.

What about you, do you need a mental vacation?

I think it’s time for another exercise from my ‘Five Good Minutes In Your Body’ book.

Take a break from your busy life and read this below.

IMG_6209

My moods definitely affect my food choices! When I am tired or down in the dumps I am much more likely to make poor food choices.

On the flip side, eating healthy and nutritious food puts me in a great mood. I feel energetic and content. When I eat nutritionally void foods, my energy tends to crash and I am left feeling cranky.

IMG_6211

I also find that on days that I have a great workout, I tend to make better food choices. It seems to be much easier to eat healthy when I know I have put so much time into exercise.

What are your thoughts on mood and food? How does it affect you? Are you in tune with how your food choices make you feel?

Ok, back to this baking madness I go. My poor little arms are tired! ;)

IMG_6214

Angela_Signature

In each of us are places where we have never gone. Only by pressing the limits do you ever find them.

Joyce Brothers

1 Courtney September 17, 2009

I agree that I make poor decisions when I’m feeling down. I also find it easier to make better choices on a day when I’ve got my workouts and water in. However, sometimes when I work out a lot in a day, I end up eating more than I should even if it is healthy stuff! I need to make sure I’m totally hydrated before I go crazy on the hummus :>

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

2 The big blue dog September 17, 2009

This is totally true! I also make bad choices about food when I am bored! Yesterday I ate a whole bunch of sour patch kids about an hour before I left work… And felt it big time pushing myself on my 4 mile afternoon run. Lesson learned!

3 Holly September 17, 2009

Hey Angela- I have question regarding your Hummus recipe (left it on the recipe page, but you must not have seen it.). You call for 2 cups cooked/soaked chickpeas. Is this measurement taken before or after they have been prepared? I have no idea how much to measure out dry to equal 2 cups prepared- do you mind clarifying? Thanks!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2009

Hi Holly,

Sorry I did not see your question on the recipe page!
I meant 2 cups cooked. I am sorry but I am not certain how much that equals out to dry. Does anyone know?

5 AGS September 17, 2009

About 1 cup dry = 2 cups cooked.

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 17, 2009

My moods dictatte my food and my food dictates my mood… its either a great cycle or a lousy one. I’m trying to break the days of lousy and make GREAT choices.

P.S. I think you need to hire some little Glo Elves to help you!

7 C. September 17, 2009

oh my god I want one of those right now- everytime I see someone eat one and then the amazing reviews, i want one!!

8 Mary September 17, 2009

Thank you for posting this Angela! I needed to glance at that book today especially, i have been eating emotionally the last 2 weeks or so and Today I have done “good” yet there are sweets all over the office. Eek! Thanks for the encouragement!! Mary

9 Sheri September 17, 2009

Yup I would have to say when I am down or stressed my food choices could be better sometimes. But most of the time I am happy and eating quite healthy so it evens out in the end.

You have been pretty busy! Look at all those Glo Bars!!

10 Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 17, 2009

I definitely think my mood determines my food choices. After years of battling with food I finally learned that I was using it as a coping mechanism from time to time. Stressed = eat junk, happy = eat healthy, upset = indulge on junk.. you get the idea. It wasn’t until I realized that food and my emotions really were NOT connected and eating well even when I didn’t feel well (emotionally) actually made me feel BETTER.

And if you got all that.. well done, because I just confused myself! But learning how to disconnect the two really was key for me.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2009

haha you are too cute! I totally get ya tho

12 natalie September 17, 2009

I am trying to work on paying attention more to my mood and how it does effect my food choices. I haven’t ever thought to pay attention to my mood after I eat certain types of food though. I guess if I eat unhealthy it doesnt make me feel good, but I thought it was more from feeling guilty that from how the food made me feel. Something to think about. Holy glow bars. I really want to try one of them…can’t wait tell you can ship us.

13 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 17, 2009

So how much baking do you do in the average day!!!?? Looks like a lot :-)

14 Susan September 17, 2009

What I eat doesn’t affect my mood that much, so long as I’m confident in that choice. Ie, I don’t find a difference between salad and pizza, so long as I really wanted to eat them and enjoy them. However, NOT eating totally affects my mood! If I don’t get some nutrition in me every 4 hours, I become dizzy, cranky, weak. I’ve never been one of those people who can just “forget” to eat.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2009

I totally agree with you about moodiness when not eating enough. Lets just say Eric enjoys my company MUCH more now that I am fueling my body properly!!!!!

16 Bronwyn September 18, 2009

I second that. I’m a totally snappy grump when I don’t eat enough. Horrible person to be around…

17 Chloe September 17, 2009

I am 100% an emotional eater, and have been trying to work on that for some time. I realize that the food does not make me feel better, it usually makes me feel worse, and sick, but I keep going through the same cycle. Hopefully one day I can break free – I know I’m slowly getting there!

18 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries September 17, 2009

I definitely make better food decisions after a great workout. Eating food that I love–that I know is also good for me–always put me in a good mood. And coming up with delicious healthy creations always triggers some sort of happiness hormone haha

19 Anne Marie @ her new weigh September 18, 2009

I’ve been trying to watch how my food choices affect my moods. I know that when I eat better foods for me, I definitely feel better. It always seems that I make the worst food decisions at that lovely time of the month. I’m trying to work on it though!

20 Rachel @ Shedding It September 18, 2009

Those two pages made me REALLY want to read this whole book now!!

In terms of mood, it absolutely affects how I eat. When I’m super happy, I want to not think about calories and eat and drink with friends. When I’m super down, I think going out with friends to eat and drink will cheer me up! The one thing I’ve learned, though, is that even when my mood is affecting my food, it DOESN’T have to affect my workouts. I used to let it all go, but now I know that even if I feel the need to eat chips and guac every day for two weeks (cause yeah, it happens), I can still go to the gym!!

21 Bronwyn September 18, 2009

Food and Mood is definitely a two way street. On days when I eat healthy food that fuels my body properly has a mix of healthy carbohydrates, protein and fat I feel so much better than on days when I indulge a little too much. If I eat too much junk in one day, I usually feel pretty crappy, and it’s more than just a I-ate-bad-and-feel-guilty-way.

Also I find that there are times when my mood dictates what I eat. If I’m feeling down/tired/low all I really want is some sweet carbs, loads of sugar, etc. lol, always. Especially tired I tend to overeat, because my body thinks, oh I need energy, oh food provides energy, I must be hungry! When what I really need is some sleep.